Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ghosts by candlelight

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2006, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Fera was starting to bristle defensively. After all the trouble she and her brother'd had with poltergeists and demons... it was understandable why she wasn't too fond of things that weren't human. ...Then again, she didn't like humans all that much, either. "Wait just a second - we didn't ask for your help, we don't have to pay you a damned-"

"Fera, please," Basil interupted her gently, and she quietly did as she was bid.

"Fine, but I'm going to tend to your back while you talk." She snagged the bandages and stalked off to the bathroom to retrieve plenty of wet cloths and a bowl of water.

Basil turned his head a bit, looking at Zenidine. "In all honesty, I don't know why that thing is after me, but he's not the only one. Perhaps because I'm a human and can see them, but don't know how to fight them."

Anonymous

Zendine frowned and nodded. "There isn't anyone who can tell you why they're after you?" A small part of Zenidine was mentally kicking himself in the head, telling him not to get involved and get the hell out of there. The rest of him, however, was insanely curious about the whole thing.

Anonymous

Basil shrugged, a movement that shot pain down through the marred skin of his back. He grimaced and closed his eyes. "No. We've been looking for someone for a few years... Anyone who might be able to give us more information and tell me how to either get rid of my ability to see these things, or at least tell me how I can protect myself from them."

"Preferably the later," Fera said, using the cold, wet cloths to wipe away the blood from her brother's skin. "We make our living off of Basil being able to see things the way he does, after all." Basil's expression indicated he wasn't too pleased with such an arrangement.

Anonymous

"Really?" This was getting more interesting by the minute. "What do you two do?"

Anonymous

Fera looked wary, but didn't object when Basil began to explain. She was wary of people in general, and didn't know why a fae would have any interest in them anyway.

"I - we - act as mediums of sorts. If people can't find wills or other objects of those who've died, I try to talk to their spirits to find out where those items are. Many people have unresolved issues and unanswered questions when other die - I help get them solved." He shrugged a little. "It's a good enough business, I suppose, so long as the ghost I'm trying to talk to isn't cranky."

Anonymous

"Oooh, that sounds kinda fun, actually. Not the cranky part, but the solving mysteries part" That piece of info perked Zenidine's intrest right up. Being a theif, he'd love to know who had what kinds of valueables. "Mind if I tag along with you folks for a while? I'd like to see you two in action sometime... and perhaps, along the way, I can figure out what those poltergeist things want with you."

Anonymous

Fera stopped in her ministrations and scowled at Zenidine. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" Basil glanced over his shoulder at her, then at Zen. "I think it's fine. Any help we can get is appreciated, and-"

"Arms up, brother."

Basil lifted his arms obediently so Fera could start winding the bandages down his torso in order to cover his back. "-and there's a church here in town we came to see that I wanted to go to... There were rumors of a haunting there and I was hoping that if the ghost is harmless enough, it might be able to give me some useful information."

Anonymous

Zendine beamed at his new traveling companions. While, yes, they were icky and gross humans, they seemed pretty alright as long as they didb't bleed on him. "So it's agreed. Wonderful. We'll go see the curch in the morning," Zenidine paused. He did have an extra bed in his room, but he doubted the girl would let her brother sleep in it. it couldn't hurt to offer though. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, he thought to himself. "You know, I have an extra bed in my room should you want to use it."

Zendine shuddered internally. This sickening case of 'nice' really needed to stop.

Anonymous

"He sleeps next to me," Fera said firmly, though she glanced at Basil to see if the offer was one he wanted to take Zenidine up on. After all, the only bed in their room was now covered in blood - though Fera figured they would just flip the mattress over and that problem would be solved.

The other twin looked a little baffled, but he smiled faintly at Zenidine and shook his head. "I'll stay with my sister, but thank you for the offer." There was the nagging little worry about the demon-thing coming back that night... and the things couldn't hurt Fera because she couldn't see them. They might be able to hurt Zen - or at least, if they hurt Basil and his blood got on their new companion... well, he'd rather that not happen.

Anonymous

Oh thank you, mighty Higher Power, for letting them turn down my offer, Zenidine thought to himself, but outwardly gave them a small smile. "Alright then. Shall we meet together at sunup for breakfast?"

Anonymous

"What, you're able to eat normal human food for breakfast?" Fera asked icily. "Or are you planning on eating us?"

"I don't think I'd taste very good..." Basil sighed absently.

Fera shot him an odd look, decided not to bother commenting on that and continued. "Breakfast is fine. Don't expect us up at sunrise or any ungodly hour, though."

Anonymous

Zenidine gave her a flat look. "Is the power of logic really so far beyond you? Why would I eat you when your blood is like acid to me? Eatting you would cause my body to be eaten away from the inside out, which, to be honest, sounds painful. Is it really so hard to believe that I don't wish you harm?" Zenidine scoffed and turned on his heel. "Don't be later than midmorning, then." Lazy humans, Zenidine grumbled to himself as he walked out (using the door so he'd have the petty satisfaction of slamming it behind him) of their room and headed towards his own.

Anonymous

Fera stared after Zen for a nice long while, until her mouth twitched up into a snarl and she started to stalk after him. I'm gonna wring his stupid fairy neck and then bleed all over him...! she thought. Thankfully, Basil grabbed hold of her before she got very far and managed to coax her back onto the bed to finish tending to his wounds.

It would be impossible for Basil to get back to sleep that night for a nice long while, which was the real reason Fera had wanted to make sure they could sleep in. Her brother would need it. Zenidine wanted to come with them, he would just have to wait for them to take their sweet time, then.

After Basil's wounds had been tended to, he managed to help Fera strip any bloodied bedding off their bed and flip the mattress over. Hopefully they could sneak out of the inn in the morning before the inn-keeper noticed that Basil had bled all over the white sheets.

While Fera went straight to sleep, Basil remained wide awake for several hours, eyes fixed on the dancing shadows on the wall.

Anonymous

Zenidine paced the floor for most of the night, unable to get to sleep as well. The entire situation bothered him, poking at his sense of curiosity. Just what, exactly, were those things? And why were they after Basil? Surely there are other things out there that would make a tastier snack. Like Zenidine, for instance. Not that he was inviting trouble on himself, mind you, but he  made much more sense as a victem than Basil did. Which meant the things weren't after power, or, if they were after power, it had to be a certain type of power.

Curiouser and Curiouser.

Anonymous

Basil was up only a very few short hours after he'd fallen asleep. Fera was still next to him, facing the wall, and it took some effort to climb out of bed without disturbing her.

It took even more effort to get on a shirt over his bandages when every movement sent sharp pains all the way to his toe and fingertips. He managed somehow, and slipped out of the room once he was dressed to make his way downstairs. The sun was barely up, and with the shadows lessened in every corner, this was Basil's favorite time of day. It also seemed to be the safest - nothing ever bothered him for the few hours just before and after sunrise.

The male twin descended the stairs into the hotel lobby and beyond into the bar, glancing around. Apparently he was up nice and early, because the only two people there aside from himself was a tired-looking barkeep cleaning some glasses, and some hooker off in the corner, drunk and passed out slumped over a table. Basil took a seat up at a table closest to the window, sat down, folded his arms and rested his head atop them with his eyes closed. The light filtering in through the dirty glass felt warm against his face - a welcome comfort after the nightmares of the previous night.

Anonymous

Zenidine padded downstairs, hair still damp from his shower and blinked. "Basil?" He placed an order for breakfast for both himself and Basil and padded over to sit across from him. "You're up early."

Anonymous

Basil startled a little, looking up. "I, ah... Couldn't sleep..." he admitted. "Fera's still out cold, I didn't want to wake her... Sometimes she has problems sleeping because she stays up watching over me, so I try to let her sleep in when possible."

Anonymous

Zenidine nodded. "Understandable. You two seem to care a lot for each other." Zenidine looked out the window. "If you'd like, we could head to the church without her. If you'd like, that is."

Anonymous

That gave Basil pause, and he lowered his gaze after casting it briefly towards the stairs. "I... I don't know... She'd be terribly upset if she woke up and I was just gone." And, oh, he'd get an earful of it later. Not to mention she'd probably cry and Basil was terrible with people crying.

Of course, he could have left her a note. In which case she'd likely just wake up and follow them to the church.

...Besides, if Basil ran into anything... unpleasant... Fera was always the one to protect him from it!

Anonymous

"Like I said, only if you want to. We can also wait for her." Personally, Zenidine had no desire to wat for Fera, as she will probably accuse him of something stupid again, but he did like Basil, even after the human had bled on him, so he was willing to go along with what he wanted for now.