Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Time For Quiet Contemplation

Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2006, 07:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A statuesque brunette made her way through the village, clearly on her way to the temple. She maintained her disguise for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that it was far less obtrusive than her preferred appearance. Nobody glanced twice at the lady, who appeared about twenty years of age. She smiled, obviously enjoying the feel of the sun on her skin, which was a ghostly shade of white. Not too long before she'd turn the colour of a tomato.
She walked with an air of complete and utter confidence, her eyes never wavering, her stride long and smooth, her shoulders perfectly squared. This was a woman on a mission, to be sure.
As soon as she was inside the temple, she nearly collapsed. Her knees trembled, finally showing the weakness she'd felt since she left Connaloth. "Never again," she muttered, a wry smile on her lips. "No more jobs in Connaloth, he's not there."
From her small pack, she withdrew a box, about six inches long, three inches wide, filled with soft bits of leaves, dandelion fluff, and cloth. She smiled sadly at the box before putting it back into her pack.
Not wishing to disturb anyone else, as her eyes adjusted to the shade she moved to sit near a wall and contemplate her next move. She needed another job. Hell, she needed a lot of other jobs. At least she was safe here for the time being.

Anonymous

If that woman felt the need for peace and quiet, she would not find it in La'marri. Well, she would find it in La'marri; it was just that she had chosen the wrong place to sit. that wall happened to be adjacent to Tokala's house. The woman seemed sad(and unused to the weather), so Tokala decided to cheer her up. All it took was a bucket, some well water, and climbing on to the wall.

It would be a simple trick, really not even a trick. Tricks were done in the spirit of meanness or at least mischief, and Tokala was doing this out of the good of her heart. Really. The woman was red as a lobster. Reaching the top of the wall, the fox-girl poured the water to where the woman roughly sat. She waited curiously, trying to restrain her giggling unsuccessfully, for any results, such as a wet woman, screaming, ranting, smiling, and etc.

Anonymous

On the bright side, she was instantly a lot cooler. On the not-so-bright side, she was soaked to the skin. The brunette swore softly but colourfully, although it was almost unintelligible through her spluttering. So much for safe. The kicker was, if she'd been paying attention, it would never have happened. "Damn emotions." She muttered while trying without much success to wring out her hair and clothing. She stood and looked up, the direction the water had presumably come from. There was a woman standing atop the wall Eos had just been leaning on, which she now saw was actually the wall of a house. It wouldn't take her long to climb up to whoever it was and give them a piece of her mind, but it would take even less time to fly up. It was a very tempting idea. But could she do it without revealing her wings? Unlikely. She was probably best off just to climb the wall. Still, the girl on top of the house might run.
A moment later, Eos floated up to the top of the wall, her wings beating like those of a hummingbird, practically invisibly. Her feet landed solidly, and she quickly hid her wings, with a stern look at the... girl?  Fox-person?
"You really ought to have better control over your bucket, you never know who might not want a cold shower."

Anonymous

She clapped her hands with delight as the woman was soaked. Her merriment died briefly as she though that perhaps the woman would tell her parents, and then she would have to play pranks while invisible...which was never as fun because that was cheating. But her joy was revived again as the woman began to fly up to where she was. Tokala giggled. Oooh, so the woman had wings. She liked playing pranks on winged people. But then, the fox-girl liked playing tricks on just about anybody.

When the woman landed, her giggling increased. Oooh, she loved this part, where the woman would probably make a stern lecture or something. At her words, Tokala continued laughing, but managed to answer between the giggles, "You looked hot, so I thought you needed a shower!" Laughter dying, she continued solemnly, with a sly twinkle in her eyes, "And look now. You're cool and you're mad." That, for some reason known only to herself, started her giggling again.

Anonymous

(OOC: I'm going on vacation for three weeks, so I probably won't post much during that time. Should be back to normal after that, though.)

Eos scraped her hands back thorugh her hair. It would be a simple enough matter to off her, really simple. One blast of magic... Nah, no point. Besides, the kid seemed pleasant enough, if a little annoying, and she had things to do. Lots of things to do. And topping the list just now was finding a job... or twelve. One step at a time. Oy.
"Not mad. Not cool either. Damp, and a bit annoyed, but not mad. And still warm." She shrugged. "So what made you think I needed a cool shower, exactly? The redness of my skin?"

Anonymous

you think I needed a cool shower, exactly? The redness of my skin?"
"You looked like a potato...I mean, a tomato. So I thought you were burned and when you're burned, you want to have lots and lots of water onto you and go into the shade. Or you might get heatstroke and feeel really baaaaad..." She emphasized her words with a nod. Once she hadn't been able to play for an entire week. "She added, "Then you can't play for a very long time, and that's realy sad." She smiled with delight at her rhyme.

"Do you need a place to stay? We have a room empty. We always have a bed empty. No one wants to stay with us..." she pouted. Which meant no more tricks. That was such a pity. Her eyes twinkling, she added, "Of course, the bed's in my room..." Which, although Tokala would never admit it, was no doubt why it was empty: everyone with sense had fled.

(Well, enjoy your vacation. ^_^)

Anonymous

"I'm not sure I'll be needing a place to stay. I'll be gone by nightfall if there's no work for me here. Which there may or may not be. Not to worry, I'll track you down if I need you." Eos shook her head. "I suspect you'd know where I could find work, being the busybody that you undoubtedly are, though I'm not sure you'd be able to point it out to me if you tripped over it." She murmured thoughtfully. "In any case, I'll be on my way then. Nice to meet you." Eos rolled her eyes and turned her thoughts to her jobhunt/

Anonymous

Tokala frowned. Why would the woman come, just to leave? It didn't make sense. There really was no point in coming and then going; where was the fun in that? "Oh no, no." she shook her head adamantly. "You have to stay with us. We're nice people when we want to be, and we have lotsa fun, and mama makes rabbit stew really well." She smiled brightly at the woman's next comment, ignoring the fact that it hadn't exactly been meant in a complimentary light. "Oh, we have lotsa jobs for everyone. We're La'marri, see, so we're all nice and sweet and fluffy." she raised her tail as proof. See...she wasn't lying. "You could rake leaves, take care of babies, cook, watch the tea kettle, help raise funds for the poor, and all that stuff. Still," she looked at the woman earnestly, "I'd muchly prefer it if you'd just play with me." At the woman's next comment, she looked alarmed. "Oh no, you musn't leave. You could get a job much faster with me around, cause everyone knows me and all, and cause I'm really cute and clever and everyone likes me." The girl smiled modestly, and continued, "So you have to have me along, and then you could eat rabbit stew with me!"

Anonymous

Eos arched one eyebrow at the girl. "While there is no doubt in my mind that your mother's rabbit stew is lovely, I'm not sure the nature of the job I look to find could possibly be described as "sweet and fluffy", and I'm sure your mother would be horrified if I brought you along on my jobhunt. I know my mother is probably turning in her grave at the thought of my meeting these people, and you're a fair peice younger than I am. And I simply haven't the time to play just now. This isn't a holiday for me, I still have work to do." Eos smiled wistfully.

"I don't suppose you could point me to the nearest pub?"

Anonymous

Tokala considered. Oh, the woman was looking for someone to kill, or maybe to play a prank! “You could take me along, you could. I meet lotsa people, I do. They all like me. Well, except the miller’s boy, the blacksmith, the miller, the banker, the money loaner, and the hostler…� her voice trailed off as she realized just how un-popular she really was.

She wondered how best to persuade the woman to play with her, but was unable to come up with any ideas. Oh well… “If you’re looking for a bad job, like the kind with weird, ugly people with one eye, then you don’t want to look in La’marri. Haven’t you ever been to Zantaric? That’s where you want to go. I’ve been wanting to go there for a long long time. Mama won’t let me though.� She frowned, flattening her ears unhappily. Then, brightening again, she continued, “Besides, we protect our own. We have tons of mages here. Wanna come to the old temple with me?� she asked. “It’ll only take a little time, and you can pray to any god you want for a job there.� Lowering her voice, she continued. “It really works, you know. I prayed once that Mama wouldn’t burn the cornbread and she didn’t.�