Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Time to play hunt the boat! (Here Vern here!)

Started by Anonymous, August 13, 2006, 02:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

If Gneissus had become an expert at anything in the this second chapter of his life, it'd been learning how to ignore all the shocked looks he got from those that weren't subtle enough to hide their disbelief. He was willing to bet that anyone that didn't outwardly express some sort of shock or amazement was feeling it on the inside. How cosmopolitan did one have to be not to notice someone that was eight feet tall?

Well eight feet and two inches, but he doubted those two would matter if he told anyone what his height was.

It didn't help that he looked Earthian. Most of them had an idea of where their various species' height cap was and here he was casually dispelling it. Or maybe not, Diorite, who was clearly associated with him, wasn't overly tall - but, he was attracting different sorts of attention. That was probably the same-'ol same-'ol to him too, he'd been dealing with the effects of his looks since he'd been old enough to receive such attention.

Diorite, almost two and half feet shorter than he was, had tanned skin, a lithe form, mid back length black hair that glittered instead of shining normally, and slate-grey eyes framed with long eyelashs that matched his hair. He also had black claws on the ends of those long fingers and needle-sharp fangs behind those elegant lips, but Gneissus was pretty sure that wasn't throwing off much of his admirers, just as it hadn't back home. He wore his hair in a high ponytail with two locks near his ears pulled loose until they almost touched his shoulders. Gneissus himself was a bit muscular, which made him seem even larger, had pale skinn, a long skinny scar from an old slashing wound on his left cheek, dark blue eyes and wore his black and white striped hair up in a topknot. While he wasn't as striking as Diorite, he wasn't all that bad to look at, if you didn't mind dislocating you neck to get a good look at him.

What tied them were their uniforms: knee length, high collar dark blue coats over lighter blue slacks and blue boots the same colour as the coats. The coat and the boots had golden accents. The sashs around their waists had gold accents on them too, but each of them wore a different colour: Gneissus a pale frothy blue and Diorite a similiarly washed out grey.

"'Zen?" Diorite asked, coming to a stop and staring at the wooden sign in front of him, squinting his eyes as though the strange writing would magically become legible. Gneissus winced at the use of his former nickname. "So sorry, but, what boat did you say we needed to be on?"

"The Broken Seagull to Necromantia," Gneissus spoke the words in the Earthian's common language - not only because it was the proper name of the boat, but because it would help Diorite learn the language better. His companion could barely speak any Common and while he could recognize the letters and what sounds they were supposed to make, he didn't know what the word meant once he sounded it out.

"Ze bro-ken zea-guhll to Neh-cro-mahn-zia?" Diorite perked an eyebrow up at him and then looked back at the sign, sounding out the words until he realized it didn't sound like the boat's name. Gneissus didn't have the heart to tell him that it was only a sign for the tavern they were standing in front of.

Anonymous

Finally off that boat, the tiny person and her tiny twin sister and an equally small child squeezed through the crowd. The one who led the trio had white hair, short and choppy, fiery red eyes and three white wolf tails. Her skin was a healthy tan and her attire was meant for showing off her beautiful skin. White wolf ears twitched on her head as she and her companions fought their way past. The sisters stood just shy of five feet in height, the child with them only about three and a half feet tall.  The sister, long, beautiful white hair flowing down her back smooth and straight, followed in her polite and timid fashion, holding the child's hand as she kept close to her frisky sibling. Her eyes were slit and a crimson color and her ears were pointed like an Elf's, her skin a noticeably darker tan, but just as smooth and pretty, covered by much more modest clothing.  And finally, the child with them was noticeably unique. She was a young Drow with beautiful black skin, her outstanding features being white wolf ears and three little tails.

"Ah, its great to finally be off that boat, huh Nikki, Zyrae?" The wolf like sister said relievedly. Her sister nodded quietly in agreement, looking around the unfamiliar docks. They headed toward the strip of town that followed the coast. It may have been unfamiliar to Nikol, but the wolf sister knew she had seen this place before. It was too familiar. "Hmmm....C'mon!" she yelled, picking up her pace and closing in on a familiar sign. "Jezirae!" Nikol called out, picking up little Zyrae and chasing after. The three little ones made it passed the opposite flow of people, entering a clearing and Jezirae stopped dead in her tracks, her little neck craned to see two familiar faces. "Ah-!" she pointed accusingly up at the men. "You! And you!" She was overjoyed to see then and immediately clambered up the giant man, perching on his shoulder. She poked at his head and whined, expressing her exhaustion from her trip. Nikol stopped too, but more in shyness, afraid of the two men. She stood there quietly as her sister went about her business, wondering what was going on. "U-um...Jezirae..." she said meekly. "Do you know these two...?" she asked softly in her small voice.

Anonymous

((Note, when Gneissus + Diorite talk in all italics they're speaking in Felinonian

The little girl was every bit as frisky as the woman who was obviously her mother. She pranced and danced along at Auntie Nikol's side, all too excited to back on land and away from the boat of boringness. As much as she wanted to break free of Auntie Nikol's hand and run around in great big loops she remained by her side.

This was a game. When someone held your hand, you had to keep holding onto their hand because the first person to take their hand away lost. Zyrae didn't like to lose at the game, so she jumped around as much as she could without losing contact with the hand.

"Yeah!" she squealed in response to Mommy's question, loud enough for herself and Auntie Nikol. Then she was picked up when Mommy began running and Auntie Nikol picked her up. While she would have liked to run with them, she put her arms around Auntie Nikol's neck and watched Mommy run. "Where we going?" she called out.

Then Mommy stopped, pointed, and proceeded to climb up this really-really tall man! He was almost as big as the mast of the ship! Zyrae stared, her eyes wide, and then she spouted: "Auntie Nikol! He's almost as big as the sky!"

Diorite was the first of the two to notice the wolf-eared woman, most likely because he was closer to her level. While he understood what she was saying, he didn't have a clue why she was saying them. Then she climbed up Gneissus and Diorite stared up at her. She didn't seem familiar, so why would she be pointing at them and climbing on Gneissus?

Gneissus most definitely noticed the kitsun girl when she began climbing him. Unlike Diorite, he remembered her. It may have been a couple years, but the girl was anything but forgettable. He smiled at her when she finally reached his shoulder and poked his head. "Fancy meeting you here." He repressed the urge to laugh when a child commented on his height, too focused on the kisun to look for the speaker.

Diorite noticed them though, and managed to peice that they were together before the woman said anything from the women's similarity in colour and the child's ears and tails. If anything, his eyes lingered a little over the woman. He had a hard time understanding what she said due to the soft tone of her voice and therefore asked about the same question. "Who are these people Gneissus?"

Anonymous

"Fancy?? It's not fancy! I look like crap!" she whined, slipping down his front side, knowing he'd catch her in his arms. She layed back, flopped out in his arms and whined again. "I'm soo tired...!" It felt good to act like a kid again. Being a mother was hard work. "So how've you been?" she sighed, patting his chest and rubbing her hand on it gently as her tired eyes stared at her hand. She had a soft smile on her tired face as she lay content in familiar arms. The only difference was that right now, she was sober.

Nikol laughed nervously at Zyrae's comment and shushed her softly, not wanting to offend the large man. The smaller man spoke and Nikol shrank back a bit, ears tipping back. She peeked over from Jezirae to the smaller man and once she found his face, she froze, staring at the man. When his eyes met hers, a small blush came over her cheeks and she looked away after realizing she was staring. She was quiet, too shy to introduce herself.

Anonymous

Well, he wasn't about to let her fall. He doubted she'd fall limp and hurt herself, but she would have been pissed if he didn't even bother to catch her as she slid. He registered Dio talking and wondered who the 'these' were in his question. But, since he couldn't talk to two parties at once decdied to talk to Jez first.

"Poor thing," he teased. "Nothing much has changed with us I'm afraid. How have you been?"

"Auntie Nikol!" Zyrae burst, quite oblivious to her Aunt's gentle effort to keep her quiet. "I want to go up! Can I go up like Mommy?" She bounced anxiously and wagged her tails. "What are you looking at Auntie Nikol!"

It didn't take long for Gneissus to look down at the 'these' and get confused himself over who the woman was and by the sheer existance of the child. He'd better get Diorite up to square one before asking Jezirae about the girl though.

"We met Jezirae a couple years ago Diorite. You were drunk, and a little more focused on improving interstellar relations at the time. As for the woman and the girl..."

Gee that helped, Diorite looked back at the woman and the girl, relieved at least that he wasn't too far behind. He looked back at the woman again, who was looking at something else while the child was twisted around to look back at Gneissus and himself. If only he could understand what the child was saying... he'd have an excuse to approach them.

"Have you told Samari yet?" Gneissus asked, deciding to just cut to the chase instead of dancing around the existance of the little girl. "You... also might want to tell your companion not to go wandering off by herself anytime soon." he added, noticing just how intently Diorite was watching the other woman and the girl.

Anonymous

She sighed again, exasperatedly and fidgeted a little. "Horrible...but I'm better now that I've found you. We've had a looong trip and we're tired and hungry." He explained. "You wouldn’t happen to know how to solve this little problem, would you?" she purred playfully, giggling.

Nikol had her hands full and decided to let Zyrae down when Jezirae gestured she could. So she set down the little scamp and had nothing to do with her hands now. She placed them behind her back and tilted her head very intently at the language they spoke, her ears flickering softly as her brain automatically worked on translating it. It was a difficult one. It may take more time than usual.  But she would need to hear more to begin translating. She would rather prefer to be submersed in it. That would help her most, but for now it got the better of her curiosity.

"This..." Jezirae pointed down to Nikol. "...Is my sister, Nikol.  And if you couldn’t tell, that little monster is my lovable daughter Zyrae." Her finger went to the half Drow child. "Nikki, Zyrae, this is Gneissus and Diorite." She remembered their names well.

Nikol waved timidly up at Gneissus, and then over at Diorite politely, blushing again when her slit eyes met his. "H-hello...nice to meet you..." she greeted meekly, bowing to Diorite.

Jezirae blinked at the question and shook her head sadly. "...no...I haven't been able to see him since I left...I want to find him..." She said softly, clinging to him a little now. She blinked at Gneissus and looked at her family after his comment. Realizing what he meant, she giggled playfully and turned back to hi with a smirk. "I see."

Anonymous

"I'm sure I could manage something," he replied before the little girl attached herself to his leg. He didn't see her make that connection, but seeing as how something collided with his leg and was still colliding with it he assumed it was the child. He did manage to nod at Jezirae's sister when she waved though

Zyrae didn't really hear Mommy introduce the two men, since her only objective in life once she was put down was to run full tilt to the guy Mommy was on and try climbing him like the mast on the ship. Only, she guessed he would be harder since he was a person and not a peice of a ship. Instead of running, she jumped and clinged. "Mommy!" she called. "Mommy can I come up too! I want to be up high!"

Nikol had Diorite at 'hello'... which was the only word of hers that he really understood. The others were familiar but still vague due to the softness of her voice. At least that was better than the faster pace of the little girl or Jezirae. The bow confused him though, he got the wave, Gneissus told him what a wave meant but the bow... wasn't that for important people that you know? How did he get a bow and a wave? He'd have to ask Gneissus about this one. For now he just waved back to Nikol.

"We'll go to that tavern," Gneissus said, tilting his head toward the tavern they were standing next to. "Get something to eat and catch up a bit. Sound good?"

Then to Diorite he added. "Dio, we're going to take a break in the tavern. No alcohol for you though, you won't like riding a boat if you're drunk."

Anonymous

Jezirae smiled and then turned her attention to Zyrae. She sighed and, trusting Gneissus, she hung upside down, knowing he'd hold her leg for her while she dangled down to pick up her daughter and she curled back up with Zyrae, showing formidable strength to do that with one leg, and she sat in Gneissus's arms again with her child. She pet little Zyrae. She did wonder why Nikol always dressed the poor girl in so much clothing. I mean all she needed was a loin. "Say hello, Zyrae." She took her daughters hand and playfully made her wave exaggeratedly.

Jezirae nodded at Gneissus's suggestion happily. The thought of it sounded really good right about now. "Yeah, I'm starved." She whined in his arms. Nikol was all alone now, nervous in front of Diorite. She blushed at his returning wave and hunched a little. She was so shy and cute. Jezirae peeked at Nikki then and smirked smugly. "Hey now. Quit being rude. He wont hurt you. Stop it with your whole 'distance' thing. All right?" Nikol blinked, blushing, and then glared embarrassedly up at Jezirae. "I haven't-" she shrank back submissively when Jezirae looked into her eyes with that smile. She felt very manipulated right now.

With that, she took a few nervous steps toward Diorite, peeking up at him timidly, hands behind her back. Jezire could read Nikol like a book, and she had a way of making the poor girl do whatever she suggested with little conflict. "Good girl." Jezirae praised playfully.  Nikol was horribly nervous now and a slight tremble showed in her body. Her eyes veered from Diorite's then, ands she apologized softly, Her emotions leaking out mentally for everyone to feel. It was mostly obvious she had interest in him, and she didn’t even have to say a word. Se couldn’t control her reverse empathy. She was way to easy to read.

Anonymous

Zyrae's tails began to wag eagerly when Mommy picked her up. "Yay!" she bounced on Mommy's lap a bit and then smiled real big at the real big man. "Hello!" she waved with her other hand.

The girl looked so sweet when she blushed, it reminded him of the Malari Maelle. Only Maelle was shy because the poor thing didn't have anything but her books to help her know how to act around people she was attracted to.

Her apology was too soft for him to hear, so he assumed she was saying something to the other girl again. He did pick up on the interest - though he just assumed that was the reason behind her shyness and the bow.

Gneissus sighed dramatically and rolled his eyes. "Diorite, I've never minded your company, but remember what brought you with me before you burn holes in her with your staring."

Diorite looked back at Gneissus and grinned. "I haven't forgotten, but I was misjudged and harshly punished," he wagged a finger at  his companion. "The unfairness of it all distresses me so greatly that I have to cry myself to sleep at night. I was thinking that this sweet girl," he walked over to Nikol, cupped her shoulder with one hand and raised her chin up gently with the other "Could help me forget my agony."

Gneissus laughed and Zyrae squealed because they shook a little in his arms when he did. "Don't you pay him any mind Nikki, just drag him in the tavern." He turned toward the tavern and looked down at his passengers. "What do you feel like eating?" he asked, ducking under the door.

"Not fish!" Zyrae stuck her tongue out.

Anonymous

Nikol was taken completely by surprise. I mean, it wasn’t enough that Diorite had to come close the gap between them, but he began speaking in that language that interested her so and held her. Her eyes were wide at first while they spoke, but soon she relaxed, taking in Diorite's scent and blushing again. When he touched her skin, he would immediately delve deeper into the thoughts she emitted and she would literally be an open book, her thoughts in his mind.

Jezirae could only look in amusement, watching her poor sister. She turned back to Gneissus when he spoke English again and nodded. Nikol only blushed more at Gneissus's suggestion, and she gazed up at Diorite embarrassedly. "You heard him, Nikki! Drag him along!" Jezirae commented, giggling. "D-d-diorite..." she began to ask nervously, but remembered he didn’t speak English. "...n-never mind..." her gaze shifted away. She stood there with him still, letting him hold her.

Anonymous

Much to Gneissus' annoyance, the tavern's ceiling was only about seven and a half feet tall, so he had to duckwalk to the closest table. He plunked Jezirae and her daughter down once he got there and kneeled next to the table, the chairs didn't look like they would fit him much less hold him up. It made him miss the Spire, there he could look forward to a few rooms where he could sit and stand without worrying about breaking something.

"Is your sister going to be alright?" he asked, feeling a bit guilty about leaving her outside on her own with Diorite. It wasn't like he would hurt her... or at least mean to hurt her. "I can go drag them both in if you want."

Diorite's coat had been cleaned with something that made it smell something like a mixture of lemons and grapes. He smiled when she said his name and tried to remember something that Earthians said when someone else said their name, Gneissus said they responded something like Felinonians did. He guessed that she wanted something from him and then tried to remember a response.

"Yezz?" he asked. Even though the 's' sound was more a buzz than a proper hiss it could safely be assumed that it was what it was.

Diorite figured he should have started learning the Earthian language sooner. Though, the communication barrier between him was definitely an interesting challenge.

Anonymous

She sat her daughter down, taking the seat beside her. "Hmm, I think she'll be fine." She grinned brightly. "So lets not waste anymore time! Must eat!" she whined exaggeratedly.

Nikol shivered when Diorite actually responded. He blushed more, gazing up at him. Yezz? Did that mean he DID understand?? "Oh...! Um...I-I was just going to ask....y-you can feel what I-I feel...c-cant you...?" she asked softly, her shy expression cute and innocent.

Anonymous

"I'll take your word for it," Gneissus replied, laughing.

The serving girl that came to their table gave Gneissus a wary look once she realized that he could easily look her in the eyes while he was sitting. "We've a hearty crab stew if you need somethin' t' eat. A good dark ale, a little fall cider and plenty water if you need to wet your throat. What can I get'cha?"

"Stew for the three of us, and water for me," he nodded to Jezirae.

"Mommy," Zyrae whined. "I don't want water. Can I have something else?"

Diorite blinked at her. He only understood a little of what she said and even what he understood was garbled by her stammering. For all he knew eye-eye (or was that I-I? Or eye-I? I-eye?) and yeh-you were Earthian words. Oh was surprise though, and um meant someone's mouth was moving while their mind was still thinking. All in all, he didn't really understand and didn't want to attempt to understand and misinterpret her.

"I," he said the word a little longer than he needed to, so it sounded more like Eeeeeeeeeye. "do not und-air-zzztahnd." he smiled pleasantly enough afterward, in an attempt to soothe any anger that could possibly wake in the shy girl.