Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who said we were all theives?

Started by Anonymous, August 18, 2006, 02:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

<center>
Flatness... Nothing but flatness, a few scrubby plants, and sand. Lots of sand. But that was to an outsider, and if you had grown up in this 'wasteland,' you would see so much more. A cheery place with flowers and beauty everywhere. Big cats of all kinds roam here, and smaller things too, with everything in it's place. Simple means of transportation, and everything simple, and calm. "WIND!!!" In the calm still desert came a shout that scared creatures for miles, and created a dust cloud that traveled closer to the small area by the second.

In a few moments, a small flat-like boat pulled up, from where a young man jumped down from the the rear where he had been directing wind. Dancing brown eyes looked out from the hole in his mask, and though it was hot, he didn't seem to mind. Flipping cape back from where it had ridden up on his shoulders, he pulled down the part that was covering his mouth, a cocky but calm grin on his face. "Yip, yeah," he called lightly to the boat-like thing. From under a flap came a stirring, and out popped a baby lepard. "Come here, Niroku." Little fuzzy baby jumped down to trot over to his heels, and look back at the boat, making a curious 'Mew' sound. The flap stirred again, and out popped a second baby, Miroku and Montrosse, the strong mother. While Miroku scrambled down, Monty leaped stately down to come over purring to the tall man.

Petting her affectioatly with one hand while the two cubs fought at his feet, the human surveyed the area. "Seems as good as place any, huh guys?" Scuffing his booted foot in the sand, he rubbed his black gloved hands together, cracking his fingers before getting into a wide steady stance. Placing hands together he gripped them together hard, making his tan arms flex. He really was good looking. Flipping his head to get the blond whips out of his eyes, she focased on the ground, Monty a few feet back with Niroku and Miroku next to her. Slowly opening his palms face down with the hand together he closed his eyes, concentrating. With a sudden shout of "Wind!" A blast came from his combined hands, blasting the sand away to make a small water filled oasis.

His hand had come back up to cover his mouth with the clothe, and it was back in position as he rumaged in the boat. He planned to make camp here, and nothing was going to stop him. Pushing the light boat so it faced into the wind on the broadside, he set up his tent quickly, having years of practice. Monster one, two, and three, came back, each toting a small branch, depending on the size of the critters, that he used to make a small fire. Rumanging on his belt, he yanked out his kinning knife, and began to skin the jack rabbit that he had bagged a while ago. It got cold on the desert at night, and night was falling uickly. Leaning against the boat with Monty spread out next to him and Niroku and Miroku on the other side, the young man named Kai watched his rabbit cook attentivly, petting Monty with one hand.

~Damn, he's hot. XD In the end, whoever joins him, he looks almost excatly like the picture, except he is petting the cat instead. He's the character, and have fun with Kai!~

</center>

Anonymous

She could feel the dropping temperature against her skin, booted feet sinking into the hot sand as she fled the caravan.
There were shouts for her to stop as men tried to mount their horses in time to catch her.
But if there was one think Atarah was good at, it was running. Her strong legs belted her across the sandy dunes almost as though she were on horse back.
She was long gone and hiding among the sands before the robbed men could give chase.

Atarah continued running long after, simply for the feel of it. With her pants shortened to above her knees, and her shirt with its half-sleeves, she showed more skin than most would dare.
She didn't even wear a cloak.
But then again, her skin had long since been tanned brown by the sun, and burning was no longer a worry. Her long hair, once a solid brown, had long since been sun-bleached, streaked with layers of gold.
She had it tied back in a ponytail close to her head, the tail end swaying as she darted across the desert. A new parcel of food was tucked under one muscled arm.

Finally, panting, she let her quivering legs slow to a stop, and the sky was dark when she did so. It wasn't until she had paused to breath and look around that she saw...
Was that a boat??
She remembered those water-bound vessels from when she was a child, from the time when she was fair-skinned and lived on a great ocean front.
But that was in the past, and she was in the desert.
So what was a boat doing out in the middle of the sands??

Not particularly close to it, Atarah leisurely (but ever cautiously) made her way toward it. Her stomach tightened a bit, wanting the food she had worked so hard to snitch, but her curiosity overruled.
Purple eyes, dark it seemed, until the light hit them just right to show them clear, rich, and intellegent, focused in on every detail of the strange vessel as she came closer and closer.
She had gotten good at moving silently. Silently enough for humans to completely miss her presence.
Animals were harder. Especially horses. They spooked at everything.

Finally close, and having ended in a crouch those last few yards, just in case, Atarah went down to her knees and gently ran a bare hand over the side of the boat.
Buffering...
Did this thing move across the sand???
What an ingenious idea...

She had no idea there were even living forms just on the other side of this strange curiosity...

Anonymous

<center>

Kei, which meant Sandy in the African launange, had been mesmorized by the fire, brown cold eyes fixed on something that no one could see. The cold wind whistled through long blond hair, and the little boy standing there brushed it out of his eyes with a bandaged hand. His eyes, a cheery, brown happy little boys, were filled with tears, and they were fixed on a receding horse. "Mom!" She turned around, a young woman with muscles and an weaponed area. In her hand was a torch, and riding behind her was a group of people, mostly men, but with a few woman. With a wave of her arm she told them to go on, and reining in the horse, she galloped back around to sweep the young boy up for a hug. "Can't I go with you Mother?" He asked, wiping away the tears with a back of his hand.

She laughed, a sad smile. "No, my Sand-Child. You must stay here and help you're father. It is our job to protect the Desert, and you must remember all that I have taught you." She hesitated, and then turned around, still having him sitting on her lap infront of her. Turning back around, she held something in her hands, wrapped up in a clothe. "Don't open it yet, Kei. Wait until you can't see my trail, then you may. I love you, and always have. Take care of the Desert, love. It's all that you have of me."
His hand, covered in the black cut off glove moved insticntivly to this thigh, where held a short strong blade. That hand, which had been petting Monty, had ceased, and now she growled, knocking him out of his day-dream. "Wind." He whispered, spreading his hand flicked out to go around the boat, where the way the wind blew around the form told him it was human. Damn, whoever it was was quiet.

Bracing himself up, he shifted silently to a crouching mode, sending Monty with a hand gesture to the right side. "WIND!!!" He shouted, blasting himself in the air and drawing a short sicimar to land on the left side of the person, who was touching his boat! His mouth titened, but she couldn't see it. "What do you think you are doing, theif?" Niroku stood at his foot, while Miroku did the same with Monty. She was surrounded, and leopards were faster then any human. Looking past blond hair, hard, cold brown eyes looked down at her merclessly, sicimar in his hand and dagger in the other. "State your business,... Girl?" A female? His eyes glinted in confusion, but they hardened at once. "Humph, whatever. Who are you, and what are you doing with my boat?"</center>

Anonymous

It almost hurt to remember her home, come to think of it. Seeing a boat reminded her of her childhood. Of her father, the merchant...
They had lived a good life, wealthy but not so much. Her mother was such a kind lady, with a beauty from within to without. Her dad laughed all the time. How long ago was it now that she had last heard that sound??
They had gone sailing finally, her begging paying off...

And then the storm had shattered everything just as easily as the boat on which they sailed.

And now she was hear, in the deserts, far from home and a changed girl. She had grown up, and almost never thought of her past life.
This was her life now.

She shivered as the wind blew over her, and she could have sworn she had heard something...
And then all hell broke loose.

Atarah jumped up, but didn't get a chance to put her running to good use. How that man had flown through the air like that was not hers to know, and so she froze, glancing from him to the leapards and back again.
She knew better than to try and run from a great cat. She had the scars on her back to prove it.

Well, he'd hit one thing dead on, she was a theif. Some of the time anyway....
She glanced at his weapon. She never carried one. What good were they to her? She had no idea how to use any sort of weapon.
Her skill was running, and that was pretty much it.
She had grown up pampered, and had gotten good at stealing, and that was fine enough to get by.

She was vaguely amused that he found it surprising she was a girl. She actually got that alot...
But she made sure not to let it show on her face, which was perfectly blank, her eyes hard and unemotional.
"I was looking at it."
She answered tersely, her arm tensing around the bundle of food instinctively.
"It's not like I can steal a boat."

Well, that was true. That was a wee bit too big for her to get out of here unnoticed...
She just hoped he didn't think the parcel of bread and dried meat was his. She'd drop it and run if she had to, but still...
That was her food, dammit, and she was hungry.

Anonymous

'I was looking at it. It's not like I can steal a boat.' He sheathed the dagger, but kept his mothers sicamar out because he liked the feel on his callussed palm. Blinking at her terse words, he shrugged, then spoke again. "Well, what's so special about a boat? And I was talking about the boat, what you were doing to it. If you touch it, you might scratch it or something. I value and need that boat, thank you." His eyes looked to the packet she was clutching so tightly, and he sighed again, remembering the oath of his family. 'Protect those in thy desert unless they cause thee, thy land, or they people around you harm.' Bah. "Well, come `ere." He grabbed her arm, hauling her up and then turning to Monty before he could se if she stayed up. "Good kitten." Miroku and Niroku wanted attetion, and he praised them quietly and quickly for being so brave.

Jumping into the air with apparent ease, he bounded onto the boat and back down to the other side, calling to her, "Come on." Dried meat got tiresome, and he had fresh meat to share. His hand reached up to yank off his hood, pushing it back. His hair was all blond, and his face was clean, and unblemished. A calm yet cocky smile was on his face, yet his eyes were hard, frozen mud. Poking the fire up, he gestured to the boat, deciding she was no harm. If she was, Monty would get her before he thought about it. "Grab a pan, can ya? Door leading the bottom, small room, with the water barrels and such. Grab the pot and fill it with water at the osias." He had a few vegetables next to him, and he bagn to chop them up with his skinning knife, using a slim flat rock. "So, what'cha name?"
[/b]

Anonymous

"Other than the fact that it's in a desert...?" It was odd to see a water vessel in the middle of the desert!
Unless he had never seen a boat in the water, and just thought that's where it was meant to go...
Possible.
And her blank face faltered a bit at his accusation.
"I can't scratch it with my bare hand."

Atarah resisted on impulse when he grabbed her arm, but she was forced into a standing position anyway.
Ok...
Threat gone??
Apparently the thought of harming her or otherwise killing her had left his mind, for he was now petting his (he had pet leopards??) cats.
What a strange man...

In any case, she had to stare when he jumped back over the boat. How the heavens did he do that??
She'd kill to be able to do that. Well, ok, not really kill...she had never done that before. But still, that would make stealing food and clothes a whole lot easier.
But she was being called. What the...?

Too curious not to look, Atarah cautiously moved around to the other side, silent as usual. Just in time to see him take off his hood.
Was it fair for people to look that good??? His cold eyes killed it alittle though...
However, she didn't get to ponder his looks for very long, for she was being given instructions.
She kept that blank face on, but was happy to climb into the boat, poking around as she slowly made her way to get what was asked of her. It was alot like the ones her father had owned...
Smaller, but very similar.

Finally, she wandered down below deck, and found the pan, and grabbed a pot for good measure, since he'd mentioned both. There was a half a second where she thought about taking some things, but she knew better.
She couldn't hide them.
Sticking her own parcel of food into the pot, she brought both up and jumped off the boat.
The pan she dropped next to him, and then moved toward the....was that really water??
She set the pot down, and her one thought was focused on taking some long drinks.
Take water whenever you can get it, she always thought.

Satisfied, she removed her parcel from the pot, and filled it as asked. She couldn't help it. She'd always been an obedient child.
Still, she glanced at him when he asked her name. Was it really important...?
"Atarah."
The food again tucked under her arm, she caried the pot of water back to him, then set it down, before moving away and squating just inside the glowing ring from the fire.
Without a word, she opened the cloth and set to eating her bread, glancing around her with those purple eyes, a trait she had picked up in such a dangerous place as this.
She didn't bother asking his name back.
Why should she? She didn't plan on staying her long. Only her curiosity, and now the water, was keeping her here.
She'd more than likely dart off on the morning sun anyway.

Anonymous

<center>'Other than the fact that it's in a desert...? And I can't scratch it with my bare hand.' He ignored that for now, deciding to tell her when he felt like it. Yeah, he had pet leopard, most of his line did. To see if you became a Guardian of the Deserts, you were sent into the desert at midnight on you're 14 birthday, coming back with a big desert cat in tow, or none at all. He had been lucky. Montrosse, or Monty, had chosen him, coming up as he slept to sleep next to him as he slumbered under the stars.

And he liked using Wind powers whenever he could, because it kept him in practice, and he loved flying, or almost flying. He had used to be the village hottie, still was infact. He had found out a couple years ago that they all called him simply Hottie behind his back, and while he found that creepy, it was cool too. The 19 year old was slightly surprised when she actually listened to him, but the draw of the boat was what got her, he saw. Hmmm... Food for thought.

'Atarah.' Pretty name. Nodding his thanks at the pot, he dumped some in the pan, set it aside, then suck that in the coals, waiting for it to start bubbling. So he talked, leaning against his boat, watching her sit there like an gazelle that knew danger was close. "I'm Kei, one of the few Guardians of the Desert. This is Montrosse, or Monty, and her two cubs, Niroku, and Miroku. The reason I was worrid about my boat in the desert is because we found a way to 'sail' it in the sand. The shape is different, if you note, then a usual boat, because it would be wider and have 3 sails. This has one, and is very slim, made aerodinamically."

At this point the water began to bubble, and he busied himself with adding the different desert vegtiables. Grabbing the rabbit from where it had been skinned, he chopped it up quickly, and added the bits to the boiling pot. Stirring this, he kept talking right where he left off, looks still the same, eyes melted a little bit. "The Guardians of the Desert, if you were going to ask, is a small band of people hidden deep in the center of the desert. None can find our place but those born there, and those fated to find it. When a girl or a boy turn 14, they are sent into the desert alone to see if they can not get a big cat to follow them home. While I got a leopard, my friend Kagmoa got a lion, and Nelei, his little sister, got a cheetah. We are very few, lucky to have 3 in our generation, while normally you get only 1, maybe 2." Sampeling the soup, he stirred it a big more and the brought out two bowls from his bag of kitchen supply. Ladeling two healthly helpings of the soup into each, he passed one to her, a spoon in it aready.

"I have Desert Elemental powers, also. Come from being a Guardian. I can shift sand, earth, and use the wind. One of the reasons I can jump so high. Eat up." He cut off talking rather abrobtly, eating quietly, eyes, which had been melting, hard again. He talked, and maybe she would. He didn't care. Setting the pan to the flames, he threw the rest of the meat that had been cauten today, having been skinned under his hands while he wasn't cooking, into it, waiting for it to be cooked. Cold eat was as good as warm, in his opinion.
</center>

Anonymous

Atarah...that was really the only thing left of her past. Her clothes, her attitude, even her appearance, had all changed since then.
But her name...
That stayed the same.

Chewing on a piece of meat until it was tender enough to swallow, she watched curiously as he prepared a meal. She used to watch her mother cook all the time.
She never had learned how...
Not that it really mattered now. Damn...just that one thought about home, and it was dredging up all these old memories...
Swallowing, she blinked at him as he suddenly began to talk. Just for the sake of talking perhaps...?

Kei...she liked it. Guardian of the Desert...it needed guarding??
And then he introduced the leopards.
Her lips twitched, and she waved at the cats. "Hello." Well, he had introduced them like people so, why not?
Though in truth, they made her terribly uncomfortable. Her shirt hid it, but there were a few good claw marks on her back from when she was 'hunted'.
She didn't like big cats anymore, needless to say.

The talk about the boat really caught her attention, and she nodded, her purple eyes bright with understanding. "I see, that makes sense. I could tell by the buffering on the front it had been used across the sand. Very smart."
And she could also understand why it was important. With an instrument like that, moving from place to place was a breeze.
Um, literally.

Once more she was taken to watching him cook, her own small meal pretty much done. And she was fine with that. Her body had grown used to the tough, small, and far-apart meals she provided it, and it no longer panged with hunger.
It still hadn't occurred to her that he might be feeding her. No one since her coming here had ever been kind to her, so she had just come to accept that as a natural fact in this tough world of sand.
Ha, he answered her question before she even asked it. Saved her the trouble anyway, and she was curious so...talk away!
She did shiver distinctly at that part about being set off to find a big cat at 14 years old...
Wow.

She blinked blankly at the bowl, but since he was already talking again, she quickly grabbed it so she could listen. But really, she just held it in her hands while watching him speak.
Wait...what?
"Desert...Elemental?" She had no concept of magick, and had never heard those words before.
She disliked the distinct feeling of being stupid. She was usually good at knowing at least alittle bit about everything she heard. She was sharp, she really was.
But that one went right over her head.

In any case, she was ordered to eat, and did so. Her body didn't protest, but it didn't rejoice either. It was just...neutral about the extra food. She knew it would help though. Any extra energy she could get...
Atarah wasn't one for talking in any case, and didn't expect to be around Kei for very long as it was. When she was young, she had been a little chatter box. But out in the desert...
...there was no one to talk to but yourself. So she'd grown out of the habit years ago.
And then it just sort of fell out of her mouth, between spoonfuls of soup.
"I'm not from around here. Um...here meaning this desert." She sort of cut it off there, letting her eyes wander over anything but him and his cats. It was always eerie sitting on the inside of the ring of light from a fire, because suddenly everything else was so dark, too dark...

Anonymous

His cocky grin widened slightly, becoming more real, enjoying the sight of her saying hello to his cats. It was true, Monty was much more smarter then a normal cat, and she blinked in a cats solomn way as though returning the Hello. However, it was reaplaced by the calm yet annoying smirk he wore for protection. Now, with the fact that she knew boats, he was liking her more and more.  'I see, that makes sense. I could tell by the buffering on the front it had been used across the sand. Very smart.' He nodded, eyes nicer then they were a bit ago. Now they held respect, and happiness. "It was founded by a Great Monk, Hitasu. He made these so my people could travel faster, and escape the dangers back then. Maybe if you are lucky, you will find one in the sands as you travel."

He was inclinded to keep talking, knowing she was curious, by the way she sutably leaned in to hear his quiet voice, how her eyes fixed on his face at intervals, though she still kept her guard up. Smart chick. Handing her the bowl, he made a flapping motion with one hand as a, 'Come on, eat!' She needed meat on her bones. Chewing on a peice of tender desert onion, he swallowed to answer her stammered 'Desert...Elemental?' Must not have heard of the magic. It was rare, he guessed. "Some people can control the Elements, which are Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth. Then there are a few... Sub divisions, you can call them. Some people can control Lighting, others Sand, and even a few, Plants. It depends on your power, streangth, and disipline."

"Like I said, I can shift sand." He passed his hand over the ground next to him, and the sand moved, forming a weird shape. "I can move earth, and I control the Wind," He added with a hooded smile, "Not that I'm bragging. Mostly the name Elemental is refered to those who ue all 4 of the Elements. A young theif I met, she was an Elemental, because she controled all 4. I'm just a Wielder of Magic, tis all." He looked at her then, having been keeping his eyes on the fire as he spoke. With the flames shadows dancing on her, she looked different, the gold in her hair shing bright, and her body strangely different. He shook himself out of it when he reailzed she was speaking, mentally scolding himself. He knew the Earth, he knew Cats, he even knew Food. One thing was positive, and that was he sure as hell didn't know Women!

'I'm not from around here. Um...here meaning this desert.' That explained alot, even though she looked like a desert folk. Maybe she came here a few years ago, and the sun changed her then. It was one of the reasons his hair never changed color, even though he wore the dirty white color to dis-reflect the sun ray's off himself. "So how long have you actually been here?" He asked, far more gently then he had spoken yet before. She was like a baby cub, having to be coaxed to like anything, until it knew the person or thing. His warning aleart sign would kick in soon, wiping the pity and conpanionship from his now warm eyes. Then they would cold over, and he would remember what he was doing. But not know. Now was a time to let the desert do it's magic, and relax, letting the starts go on forever, and the moon light it like a bowl of molten silver had been overturned.

Anonymous

"Hitasu..." She said it aloud, simply because she could, her eyes once again wandering as she ate. Strange. She'd never heard that name in reference to boats before...
She blinked back at him. Maybe she'd find one if she were lucky....? Well, perhaps but...
She doubted she would be able to get it to move...
Not over the thick sands. She still wasn't sure how he even did it.

The soup was half gone before she even realized she had really been eating it, for her eyes were again on him as he spoke. She was hunched around the bowl alittle, liking the warmth against her hands. It had always been strange to her, that such a hot place could get so frigidly cold at night.
But his explination held far more interest than heat, and she leaned forward a slight bit, looking at the ground when he moved his hand over it, and it moved, though no part of him touched it!
That was amazing! She had never known people could do that...and she wouldn't have believed it either, if it wasn't literally sitting right here in front of her!
A wielder of magick...

Finally it really clicked. "So that's how you make your sand-boat move! You can control the wind in the sail...That's incredible! I didn't even know something like that even existed..."
Finally, a break in her blank face, a grin, true and just a bit giddy. Wow...that really was amazing! She hadn't even read about people who could do things like him!
The soup was gone, and she set the bowl aside, and finally sat, no longer crouching. By no means had she dropped her guard completely, but she was finally comfortable enough to sit.
She had three big cats and a man with magick right there. She hardly felt in danger here, surprisingly enough.
She hadn't actually felt safe in a long, long time...

The change in his voice brought her out of her semi-daze, and she blinked at him.
Wait...
When had he changed?? Suddenly that strange glint to his eye, that coldness to his smile...they were gone, just like that.
Atarah could only blink at that. What brought that on...?
Still, it would be rude not to answer...

Stretching out her legs in front of her, she placed her hands on the soft sand in front of her lap.
"Oh...well...um..." Her brow pulled together as she thought. It...had been awhile.
"Since I got stranded on the beach at 12 years old. I really haven't been keeping track of the years though, no way to really, so I have no idea how many years exactly..."
She looked to be about his age in any case, so he could get a rough estimate of at least six years time in the desert.
"Hmm..." She rubbed at the back of her neck then, glancing off to the side. "It's been a lot longer than I thought, that's for sure...just seeing your boat reminded me of home, and I know I haven't thought about that in a long, long time. My father owned ships, and I used to read about them alot, so that's why I knew what yours was and what you were talking about..."
Wow, the most she had said all night. She was getting used to her voice again, not having used it in quite some time. There hadn't been anyone to talk to before this really.

With a sigh, she tilted her head back to stare at the moon. "Well...at least the sky is the same, right?"
Perhaps that was an odd thing for her to say, but she often said what first came to mind, even when she had been a child.
She had yet to grow out of it completely...

Anonymous

<center>'Hitasu...' It was fun, teaching the girl something she prbably didn't know. They kept their religon very quiet, and she was probably only the 5th or 6th outsider to see one of these boats in over a decade. But it didn't matter. Not all sailors had magick, as she called it, and that didn't stop them from sending their boats far and wide over the many oceans. He could send his faster because of the wind, but if he was tired, he just sent up the sail and sailed it like a regualr boat. But the boat was light, and cut through the sand quickly.

'So that's how you make your sand-boat move! You can control the wind in the sail...That's incredible! I didn't even know something like that even existed...' He grinned back at her, none of the cockyness that was there before in him now. "Very good. I can do that, and that's what makes those go faster then most, but you can use it like most boats too, with the hoisting of sails and catching the wind. The boats are lighter then those in the water, because since you don't see many trees in the desert, and most are warped, the wood is made of something that even I don't know of." He cut off explaining to rise up and pick up her bowl, plunging the eating utensils into the pan that he had asked for earlier, to let them soak for a few moments, sitting back down.

He felt different, and enjoyed the fact that he could smile without a smirk, and laugh with his eyes. He enjoyed sitting there with Monty curled behind his back, and Miroku and Niroku asleep on his lap. He let his eyes look over her strong legs as she streached them out, then looked away, listening to her story. 'Oh...well...um... Since I got stranded on the beach at 12 years old. I really haven't been keeping track of the years though, no way to really, so I have no idea how many years exactly... Hmm... It's been a lot longer than I thought, that's for sure... just seeing your boat reminded me of home, and I know I haven't thought about that in a long, long time. My father owned ships, and I used to read about them alot, so that's why I knew what yours was and what you were talking about...' He nodded silently, ignoring the small ringing that was telling him he was getting too relaxed.

She had started talking to him, and trusting, and because she had done that, he had begun to open to her, breaking open his mask bit by bit, until a new man stood out. It was a different Kei, the son of the Warrior-Maiden that had been covered long ago. 'Well...at least the sky is the same, right?' It was a weird thing to say, but Kei understood it. So many things had changed in his life, but the Moon and the stars never had, and every night he could find the patterns in the stars that showed the faces of the long past Guardians. "Hmm, it is." Silence fell for several seconds, and he watched the sky, at peace for the first ime in what felt like years. The crackle of the fire that seperated the two didn't feel like a barrier, but like a friend huddled inbetween them for warmth. Drunk almost with the night and the silver, he began talking quietly, in a tone he had never used on anybody before.

"My Grandmother used to tell me a story when I was little and pinning for my mother, who was in the Bandit Wars, as we call it now. She used to say that when the Warrior Sun went down the west to rejvenate for battle, the night sky was left open, and, the demons who were repled by the Sun could walk in saftey. So, one day, people went to complain to the Sun, Animals, Plants, and Humans, for the Sun could understand all. Annoyed by this problem, he went about to try and stop the demons from escaping all together. First, he used the spirits of dead to light the sky up, calling them stars. But even with all the souls, he couldn't light it up enough. So then he tried sending messangers, which were later called Shooting Stars because they were shot across the sky. But that didn't work either. "

"So one night, while he was sleeping, came a knock on the door of his home. It was a young girl, darkly skinned and mucled. Once awoken, he asked what he could do for the girl. Her name was Luna, and she explained that she had heard of his troubles, and could fix them, if only she granted him 3 things. He asked what they were, waiting before he promised. Pale skin, a silver bowl, and the finest silver from your own chest protector. He scuffed at her, and sent her away, but within a week, and having no sleep trying to figure out what to do, had his guards call for her. She came back, and added one more thing. The ability to transform. Luna was a tricky girl, and she angered the god by asking for a fourth thing, but he promised, cooking up a plan."

"The next night, a pale girl stepped up through the sky, walking much like the sun's pattern. But while the sun was bright and bold, she was quick and quiet, so in her hands she held a silver bowl, filled with the liquid silver from the sun gods own breastplate. As she walked up she sprinkled it on everything, casting the demons away because the silver was pure, and good, calling it back to her as the Sun God came nearer. The Sun God, so pleased with her work, highered her again, but she demanded her pay, the fourth wish. He granted it to her, making the bowl in which was her very own flesh and blood now wax and wan. In anger she attacked him, but he held her off until she saw her own folly, and called a truce with him."

"The Sun God, to help her when her Silver Bowl was nothing in her hands, then made the Guardians of the Desert, placing only those who deserve to be up there's soul in the sky, including all Guardians... And so we were sworn to help protect the desert, the place both the Sun god and the Moon Goddess loved, because of the heat in the day, and the ability to capture the silver long after others had given it up to the sun. So we were made, and because Cats are both creatures of the night and day, they were given to us. We all would make an oath, and prtect anything and everything in this desert."

He didn't even realize he had been telling the story until it was over, and he lay there for a few more moments, confused at why he had told this Atarah girl his tory, the tales of his people, and his trust... Finally he stood up, banking the the fire, and moving over to the boat. Rumaging around, he found a few blankets, and grabbed a few for her. The sand was a comfortable bed for him, but he didn't know about her. Taking a blanket for himself, he handed her her's, giving a sad smile before going back to the other side of the fire to lay on Monty's haunch, and curl next to the sleeping Miroku. Niroku, he discovered after looking around, had gone over to curl up next to Atarah. Hmm... Interesting. "Night," he murmered, still caught up in the beauty of the desert, his home, and the girl across the fire. Sense would return at daylight, he hoped.

[Sorry, my muse hit suddenly, and the story popped out. XDDD]</center>

Anonymous

(Wow, that was awesome!)

Atarah could not possibly know she was being granted such privaledged information. In all her time here, she had not met and sat down with a single native of the region. Before, tribes had driven her off, her pale skin strange to people who were darkened by the sun.
She grew to be distrustful of people, and only viewed them as a way to snitch food and water. She couldn't count the number of times she had nearly died out here. And she honestly didn't know why she fought so hard to stay alive either.
She had long lost hope of ever seeing her mother or father or homeland again. But still she ran on, across the sands.

Perhaps, somehow, this place had become her new home.

Her gaze snapped back down to him as he spoke of the boat, and again she was intrigued. "It must be very light for that to work..." What an ingenious invention...a boat that could sail the sands, vast as the ocean itself.
As she pondered over the lack of woode to make such boats, Kei had taken her bowl from her. She was full for once, and content to ponder over all this new information she had been granted.

But it only got better.

The words flowed from his mouth in the way a story-teller speaks, and she was enraptured. She turned her head once again toward the sky and listened to his tale of which she had never heard before. Not in all her books...
She could practically see the Sun and Moon dance across the sky for her, playing out their roles in the story. Heh, dark skinned girl huh? Sounded like her...once pale-skinned...
She was amused at the trick that had been played on the moon, her transformations naught but to wane smaller and then come back to her natural size. Everything with a catch, right?
God's weren't too generous after all...

With a shiver, Atarah grinned and let herself flop back onto the sand, still staring at the sky. It was so dark...
She could see every pinprick of light perfectly, the moon bright and regal in her place in that inky blackness. What a story...
She had loved it.

She took the blanket as it was handed to her, not bothering to sit up, but was confused by the smile on his face. Why so sad...?
Perhaps, were she a child again, she would have asked him. But she felt it best not to prod, and instead curled up in the blanket. Normally she just buried herself under the still-warm sand at night...
Blankets were hard to come by.
Sighing softly,  she curled over onto her side, keeping warm, her eyes closed.
She didn't expect the warm thing that came to lay with her, opening one startled purple eye to find...
One of the leopard cubs??

She stared at the creature for a moment before catching Kei's good-night. Well, the little thing wasn't quite a great cat just yet...
Smiling softly, she let the furry mass lay against her.
"Good night...thank you..." She said softly, before she was asleep on a sigh.
She had never before slept so hard, or so well, since becoming lost in the desert.

Anonymous

(Thank you. XDD Hey, heres a random question. Where did you find out so much about Vampires?)

'Good night... Thank you...' It had been so long since he had had human companionship, that he had almost forgotten what tone of voice ment. Her voice, which had been so cold, and uncaring, had changed in those last four words. They were sincere, and truthful, and he felt it in his bones. Why did he care for this girl? She was just another desert theif, a loner, a wanderer that had liked his boat. It wasn't righ, but he felt comfortable talking to her. Common sense would come with the heat, he hoped.

The desert sun rose quickly, coming up hot and bright. Kei was up with it, foldingthe blankets and storing them, but leaving her's. He bathed quickly, loving the chill of the cold water on his skin before it got warm. Throwing on a different white shirt, he changed into a pair of pants almost excatly like the pair before. He liked the style, and why bother? It was just him, that girl, and the leapords. Strapping back on his wrist guards, he buckled on his sword sheath, putting daggers back into place on his body, and drawing his hood back over his head, he took that time to get cold again, harden his eyes, forget the magic of last night.

But he still had a responsibilty to this girl, and so he rumaged around, finding a shirt and a pair of pants that were to small for him. She could wear them, until she gott new clothes. Hers looked like they had gone through the mill several times. Putting them down next the dead fire, he packed up the meat that he had been cooking for when he didn't feel like stopping. Wrapping them in tanned leather, he went below deck, placing them in the storage area, and pausing, leaning agaisnt the shelf. Why did he talk? He just babbled like an idiot, and the last thing he needed was to get her thinking that he normally just blurted when he wanted to.

But that still left why... He knew, even though he wouldn't admit it to himself. She was just like his mother. Wary, guarded, but so interested, loving to learn, and caring. Damn this girl, this girl he didn't even know. Walking out onto the deck, he looked down at her for a moment. She was curled up under the blanket, as the heat hadn't settled in, with Niroku curled next to her, the 5 month old kitten happy. Miroku was happy to tag along with him, and Kei knew that he and Miroku had a special bond, but the cubs of the Cats that helped Protect the desert only took likings to people who loved the desert, and would protect it with their hearts. She wasn't from here, she was a pale girl who was from the sea.

But then why was Niroku hooked on her? This Atarah girl. He shook his head to get rid of the thoughts, and went to clean up the fire. One hand on the rail, he vaulted over neatly to land. He started kicking sand on the black coals, thinking hard.

(This is defenatly my muse character. XD What should happen next?)

Anonymous

(Lmao, wow...that was random! Well...basically its cuz I've read a ton of different books with vampires in them *nods*. And I sort of pulled out the parts that I liked/made sense to me, and made my own outlook on how vampires should be, heheh. I...don't think I've ever been asked that before! XP)

Atarah had never slept this hard. Not since her arrival in the desert. Normally she was up before the sun could shine over the horizon, already bounding off to face another day.
But for some reason, she remained curled up in the blanket, snuggling close to the leopard cub, totally unaware of anything around her. Perhaps it was because her stomach was finally full, or because she finally had a blanket to warm her through the cold night, or a little warm body to cuddle against, or another human soul to speak to...
But it was probably all of these, and more, that made her feel safe enough to continue sleeping, even as the soft sounds of Kei's morning ritual started to rouse her from sleep.

Finally, as the scuffing of the fire being covered reached her ears, she slowly opened her eyes. Bleary, it always took her a few minutes to remember where she was. And since the first thing she saw was the face of a sleeping leopard, she was a bit panicked for a moment, her heart jumping into her throat as she fought not to make any sudden moves.
Then last night filtered back and she let out a breath, relaxing and petting the kitten's fur.
"Good morning. Sorry, I don't remember which one you are..." She wrinkled her nose a bit, feeling a bit bad at that. But...she couldn't tell the two kittens apart just yet!

She then sat bolt upright, more of a habit than anything, and stretched with a yawn. Shaking some of the grit from her hair and clothes, she looked around the cool morning sands. Finally, her bright eyes turned to Kei, her face again emotionless. It wasn't something she had to work at like Kei. She didn't even know she did it.
It was simply because she was not used to making faces very often, with no one to see them. And when she was thieving, it was best to keep a straight face in case you were caught.
Which she had been before.

Finally she stood, reaching down to touch her palms flat to the ground as she stretched her back and legs. She had to keep limber. Her speed was her only defense.
Scooping up her blanket, she wandered over to Kei and his boat, again looking around out of habit.
"Good morning. Where should I put this?"
Holding the blanket out alittle, she already planned to leave after taking a drink. She had not noticed the clothes he had set next to the now-covered coals, and would never have expected them to be for her. She just didn't think that way anymore.

(Lol, I guess so! I was thinking those dudes she stole from yesterday could have tracked her down! *nods* Sound good? ^^)

Anonymous

(Ah, I see! Well, Nae was at me to read your guys posts, because we talk about SotE alot when we hang out, [I know, we don't have a life LLOLL], And I loved the way you portrait them, especially Noe. -points- I LOVE HIM! YEah sorry. I was just wondering. LMFAO!!)

He couldn't help but look at her from time to time, so innocent as she curled under the blankets. And he couldn't help damning her for happening to come up right then. He also couldn't help thinking that she looked very pretty from his view. Enough of the thoughts! Giving his masked head a shake to get the thoughts that had been running around one after another out of his mind, he glanced down at the purring Miroku. There was also that to consider. A cub of a Guardian Cat attached itself to only those fated to bcome Guardians, or companains of them. With Niroku behaving like this...

She finally woke, and he didn't look at her while she talked to Niroku, to intent on burying the ashes. 'Good morning. Sorry, I don't remember which one you are...' Niroku yawned in her face, showing baby teeth and a pink tounge, which he snoted in dry humar at. "That's the female, Niroku. She has bigger spots, and a nick in her ear." If the cat was fated to be with her, she'd see the difference between them in a flash.

Normally he didn't have to work on getting cold, it just came naturally, his mask he put on every day, but with this female here, it was harder. He had become more relaxed then he normally did, and thus the mask didn't want to get on, fought him. But not for long. His will was iron, and he wouldn't let a mere girl make him go soft. Petting Monty as she came back with a red stained mouth, he looked up as she rose, meeting her eyes in the light for once. If he had had something in his hands, he would have dropped it.

She had purple eyes. A memory flashed throuh his head. He was 4, a time before his mother had gone to die in the wars, protecting the Desert. She was up late, writing a letter to the general, and he came out, dressed in a nightgown, clutching his stuffed leapord toy. She heard him, and rose to pick him up, brushing away his tears and meeting his eyes with a warm smile, the sparkle that never died in her warm bright purple eyes.
It was a few years later, and he was 13, 7 years later. His mother had only come home twice after she had given him the sicimar, and each time was short. He was knealing in the sand, tears streaming down his face as he held his mother in his arms, alone, because his father had died three weeks ago. She had been in the village, guarding it, about to come home when a girl from the village had coem to get him. His scarlet mourning clothes seeped in her blood as he cradled her, feeling her heart slow down more and more. Arrows ridled her body, and body's of the Bandits littered the area around her, showing how she died. "No, Mother, don't leave me!" He had sobbed quietly, as she lifted her hand weakly to stroke his face once more, her amystat eyes filled with pain, and the sparkle that never left. Suddenly her hand stiffened, and her body sagged. Kei heard nothing but a roaring in his ears and the thump of her hand as it hit the land she loved, his eyes locked on hers as the glint them forever.

This flashed before his eyes in a second, and he jerked away from her glance, not able to look at her. He heard her rise, heard Niroku come over only after she had twined around Atarah in a good morning greeting. 'Good morning. Where should I put this?' He still didn't look at her, only spoke, bent down and petting Niroku. "Here, I'll put it away while you change." He nodded to the clothes, and glanced at her face, still not meeting her eyes. "You can bathe too, I won't look." Tugging it out of her hands, he folded it quickly, chirping at Niroku while climbing on the boat with an easy jump. He needed to feed might the mighty hunter kittens anyway, and he would ut it away while below deck. Give her some privicy.

[That works! Though I doubt they would be after her for just a packet of meat. Maybe she took something else? And sorry about the sad part there, it was sorta random. XDD]

Anonymous

(Oh, lol! Ok, I was wondering what had brought that up! Heehee, thankies! And yes, I luff Noe too! ^^ Noe: *bows with a grin*)

"Oh?" Atarah looked down at the kitten twining around her feet, then over at the other kitten, comparing.
Woah, he was right! Well, that was simple enough to remember!
"Niroku. Got it." And, because she could, she knelt for a brief moment to run her hand along her fur. Such a strange and new sensation...and she was petting a great cat no less!
A cute baby, but a great cat none the less.

Standing and looking up at him once more, she was a bit startled by the strange expression in his eyes. What...was that look for...??
She could never fathom it was all because of her eyes, probably the only beautiful or exotic thing she had gotten from her mother. She had always taken after her father. She was gangly as a child, with her hair a boring shade of brown, her skin pale but not the beautiful milky white of her mother's. Her smile had always been cheerful and a bit lopsided, her mannerisms excitable. Not the proper traits for a lady at all.
No, only her eyes had caused people to pause and look, the same deep purple as her mother's.
She could never fathom that now, at a mature age and with her skin browned and her hair sun-kissed, that she could rival her mother for beauty if she were not in rags.

In any case, that brief moment passed, and the cold Kei she had met was back. It was interesting to note that change...that flickering in his eyes, as though he were switching from one personality to another.
Personally, she preferred the him she had seen last night at the fire. This coldness...it made her alittle nervous to look him straight in the eye.
Which worked out, since he seemed to be avoiding her gaze now.
Blinking, she let him pull the blanket from her hands, looking down at the clothes he motioned to.
Was...he serious??

"Oh. Well, thank you..." Guess she wouldn't be leaving then...not so soon, anyway. She puzzled after him as he left, then got the clothes and made her way to the little oasis to bathe. He was a strange man, that was for sure...
But it was nice to have companionship after so long without.
Stripping from her clothes and tugging the strip of cloth from her hair to let it loose as she calmly walked into the water and took to scrubbing the sand and dirt from her form.
Wow, it felt incredible to really be able to sit in water and take an honest to goodness bath! She felt incredibly clean, even taking the time to rinse out her hair, which she normally left alone since it was such a hassle. But this time, she scrubbed and ran her fingers through it until she was sure every last speck of dirt and sand was out of it.

Finally she stood and left the water, the already beating sun doing quick work on her damp skin, for she was not damp for long. She wasn't in any particular hurry to get dressed either, and she stared off at the horizon for a few lingering moments before finally stooping to grab her new clothes. Simple and effective.
She threw the shirt on, then the pants, and then sat herself down so she could pull on her trusty boots. She made sure to tuck the ends of her pants into the boots, lest they get in the way when she was running.
Rising to her feet, she twisted and turned and bent, just to make sure the clothes weren't in the way at any moment.
Perfect!

(Lol, in a place where food is so scarce? I think they'd mind. But I was thinking that they would accuse her of stealing something else that's gone missing, even though she hasn't taken it *nods*)

Anonymous

[-jumps on Noe- He's delicious. XDD I still thought it was cool that your vampires are so.... Real.]

'Oh? Niroku. Got it.' The look on her face only confirmed it. Damn. As their eyes met, hers took on a confused look, though he saw passed that. Enough. Though, if he could read thoughts, she was right. She could rival her mother, in her own way. But then again, Kei had never fallen for shapely blonds. When he did focas in on her, he felt she was nervous, back into the deer. He needed to ease that, though he didn't know how. 'Oh. Well, thank you...' He shrugged. "Don't mention it."

As he went below deck, he fixed it up, ordering it and keeping it neat. He liked his home to at least not look a wreck. Although he promised not to peek, he waited and when he thought she'd be done, he poked his head up the stairs. Of course, she'd be slow. However he got a very nice view of her backside before plunging his head back down, thanking all gods that he had a mask to block his blush. Oiy. Giving her another 10 minutes he peeked out and was very happy to see her dressed, though he couldn't say it was a perfect change. Bad Kei, bad! Stop thinking like that!

He was glad that he hadn't sold those clothes, and kept things around. They looked good on her, with the baggy pants he had, and a long tight shirt. She still liked those boots though. Leaping down off the boat, he turned to her, glad his mask sheilded his blush. "Feel better?" She looked much better now, with her hair all cleaned out, and dirt of her evenly tanned face. However, he didn't say aything. Points for him! He scanned the area instead of meeting her startiling eyes, and picked up on a small dust cloud getting bigger by the moment. Darting over to the boat, he rumaged around in the coil of rope on deck until he found his spyglass. Pulling it out, he focased on a caravan with 5 or 6 hefty men riding on or around it, coming fast and looking angry. "Friends of your's?" He asked grimly, handing the glass to her.

Anonymous

(Noe: *jumped on, but laughs* Delicious...? My, that's a new one. I like it.
You would Noe, lol....aw, and thankies! ^^;; I try. Heheh)

Atarah didn't have much of a sense of modesty to begin with, having grown up from the age of 12 without anyone to chastize or correct her behavior. Still, it was probably good that she didn't know he had seen her. That would have made things akward in any case...
Though along with her 'nice backside', the claw marks from her previous encounter with a great cat would have been visable as well, lighter against her dark skin.
She didn't realize he was even above deck until she heard his feet hit the sands, her head swirling around before her body, though she relaxed when she saw it was him.

She couldn't help being jumpy. It was what kept her alive.

A mild grin crossed her face, almost childlike in its innocence. "Much better, thanks." She tugged at her pants a bit, rubbed at her shirt, and decided that they were pretty much pefect. The tight shirt wouldn't get in the way, and the baggy pants would keep her legs cool when she ran.
She began to ring out her still drippy hair, knowing that it would soon dry in the sun, though she wanted to help it along a bit. She found having a head full of wet hair was annoying, as well as impossible to tie back into a ponytail.

She blinked as he darted up onto the boat, though the dust cloud soon caught her attention.
...That could either be good or bad.
Hauling herself up onto the boat as well, she got to his side in time to take the spyglass and look through it. Wow, it was just like the one her father had...
Those were not friends!
Jerking, she lowered the instrument from her eye, her lips pressed together until they formed a taught line.
"No. Definately not. I should go..."

Crap, that was the caravan from before! She hadn't thought that, after giving them the initial slip, that they would come after her. It was just alittle food!
Jumping down into the sand, she glanced about with sharp purple eyes, trying to decide in which way she should run. Going in the exact opposite direction of them would be foolish. Horses could outpace her any day. Even if Kei's strange boat did slow them up, she couldn't escape that way.
So left or right were her options. Or maybe even trying to sneak by them by running toward them and off to the side alittle...
And so her mind churned quickly, her legs tensing beneath her new pants as she debated on how to escape.

(Just a random question...what color(s) are the shirt and pants he gave her?)

Anonymous

[So sorry about the wait, stuff in my life. But all is better now!
And Noe, you are delicious! So is Fai. XDD No I'm not a stalker! I knew you were thinking that. XDD
And a whiteish color, like his, I guess...]

As he blushed slightly and ducked his head back down his thoughts, once they were pulled away from her body, he did ponder on the claw marks. They weren't the desert bears, he had scars like that, and besides, they had blunt claws, that left broader thicker scars. He knew, he had a set running up his right side of his torso. Any other animal in the desert had thinner or different shape claws, and when it finaly dawned on him a slow grin formed as an apprihensive shiver went down his spine. Montrosse... A click of his tounge and the big cat rose sliently, coming over, where Kai kneeled down swiftly to check out her claws. After a moment of this, he rose back up, unsure of what he felt right now, but then again, he wasn't susposed to feel anything. Damn this chick! But she had just made it easier for him to make her leave then she knew, if he played his cards right.

Now, after all the talking had been through, and he was up on deck handing her the telescope, Kai was struck by another thought. She sure did like baots, and he wondered why so much. He loved his boat, yes, but she was looking at each thing like it was a long lost friend. However, this thought was cast into the wind as the look on her face formed. 'No. Definately not. I should go...' He blinked, the lunged to catch the spyglass she flipped into the air in her hurry to get down to the sand. Be careful witht that!! Women.

He watched a moment as she forze in the middle of the now empty area they had slept in last night, knowing he had about 4 minutes before they got close enough to be trouble. Rumage, rumage, rumage, and there it was. A silver long dagger was in his hands, and he grasped it lightly before throwing it at her as hard as he could, which was decently hard, so that it struck...
Right between her tensed feet.
"You're gonna need that, I think." A minute and a half. "And you'll never out run them, so I suggest you take that, and stand next to me." He had been streaching while he talked, limbering up, and as they grew close enough so that human ears could hear the noises Monty could before, he finished, a minute, eyes cold and filled with... Glee. He loved fighting, and it was something that he was naturally good at. And these were defenatly bandits, all the better. He would enjoy killing them. 20 seconds...

They were surrounded, and he could feel her quivering at his side. Niroku, the little girl cub that would now protect Atarah with her life, was at her left fot, fur raised on end and a murderous look in her eye. Miroku was the same, next to his left foot, and her right, with Monty had shifted into a hunters crouch, tail lashing. As they halted, he casually put his right hand down to his long curved blade and spoke. "Is there someway we can assit you?" Protecal before action, though he itched to kill.

Anonymous

(Aw, tis ok! I'm patient! Glad everything is better!!
Lmao, yes, Noe and Fai are da bomb! ^^ Hehehe)

Crap crap crap...She had minutes to figure this out. Which meant that unless she was very stealthy, they were going to see her running.
Augh, dammit! Why was she hesitating so much??
She had to run to the side, away from the boat, and hope that the dunes shielded her from the riders eyes. If not, they would see her and immediately give chase, and then she'd be done for.
This was risky...
But then again, most things in her life were such. It was just another moment of life or death, her heart thudding in her chest, blood rushing in her ears.
She turned back in time to see a knife flying at her, and her heart nearly jumped into her throat.

Wide-eyed, she just stared at Kai after the dagger stuck itself into the sand at her feet.
Was he crazy??? He nearly gave her a heart-attack! Wasn't someone supposed to give her a warning or something if they were going to go throwing daggers around???
"I..uh...what??"
Blinking those startling purple eyes, she looked down at the dagger. Use it??
She grabbed it, pulling it from the sand, but only stood to give Kai a worried look.
"I don't know how to use this..." Her voice was quiet, hand on the hilt of the dagger in a white-knuckled grip. She'd never really fought before...she could always run away. And never with a knife...
To be honest, she was scared. Really, truly scared.

She glanced down at the cubs at her feet, at their inborn courage. She wanted to grin at them, but her face was frozen into a look of complete emotionlessness. She wouldn't look like a caught rabbit...
Her muscles quivered, making her shake only slightly. Hopefully they wouldn't see it...
The grip on that dagger was so tight it made her palm throb, but right now it was her lifeline. She just wished she knew how to use it properly.
Her gaze shifted over to Kai as he spoke, and she was startled by the look in his eye. The look of a killer.
She had to look away, had to shift her gaze around from man to man, trying to look at as many of them as she could without turning her head.
Please don't recognize me...please please...

(Gah, trying to make my muse work again, sorry for the crap! >_<)