Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return to the Wild (Small Wonder!)

Started by Anonymous, December 04, 2006, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Nexus figured if they got out of town quick enough, there wouldn't be an easy trail to follow. They get out, they head into the forest, follow a pre made path, and then escape the forest and flee to...well...he still hadn't figured out where they could go. There wasn't any real place they could go to...right? Damn, this just had to happen didn't it? It figures, he'd find a nice (nice was a relative term) person to be his friend and then they'd end up running for their lives. Sigh. Such was his life.

"Mountains might be good. Less way of tracking us. We could head into the mountains...double back, and run back the way we came to a town in the different direction." That was a great possibility. He didn't Niamh's help on locating the mountains however, they really weren't that hard to find. He could see them after all, jutting upwards into the sky. Ah, he liked mountains, and mountain towns were pretty nice. The cold crisp air, walking around at dusk or dawn, maybe watching a storm fall around the mists...Ah. A mountain town would be grand.

"We can't go there Niamh. I need you to still be able to use your gifts, and if my 'gifts' get negated too, we'll be in trouble. Best to stick to lands where we can operate." However, that wouldn't be a bad fall back plan at least. Head to a place where the Lumenari were vulnerable. Mm, that might even the scales to some degree!

"I know that the capital is Arca and this nation is called Serendipity or some such thing. You think we might be safe in the capital city?" That was a long stretch. A very long stretch. What if...what if complications arose? The capital city was after all filled with guards. That could work to his disadvantage.

"And I've never been there thank you very much!" He was quick to help her as she tripped, steadying her as she managed to help herself back into a good walking position. Geez. She really was clumsy. Maybe that day he captured her she had just tripped on her own. Wouldn't that have been embarrassing? Poor Niamh.

"You be careful poppet. Carrying you with a sprained ankle, while enjoyable, would slow us down." Nexus wasn't sure if he just said carrying her would be enjoyable. Yeah. He was pretty sure he did. Bah, best not to dwell on that actually. Best to play it off as nothing. Yeah. Nothing. That was a good idea.

"So we'll head to Arca then, and go into hiding there. I think that will be for the best." Yeah, that would mean assuming fake identities. Oh he did actually love to pretend to be someone else. Acting as it were. It was fun! They would have to make a cover story, and then try to just live as normal inhabitants. Uh oh. Nexus knew what that meant. It meant he might have to open a store...and as such...he would have to be a tailor. Ugh. He really...really felt weird about being a tailor. It came so natural, and of course made perfect sense but still...It just seemed so...out of character for him.

"We're almost out of town. We'll head about and go toward Arca. Hopefully we'll be safe there."

Rhindeer

"That sounds more tiring than anything," Niamh said, between lightly panted breaths, a little fatigued but only because she still hadn't had anything to eat for a while. Go all the way to the mountains, two or so weeks away at least...and then come all the way back? That sounded like a lot more work than it was worth, then there would be the chance of running into the Lumenari on their way back if they had been followed. It might be good to actually stay in the mountains for a while, sure, even if it would be cold...but going all the way there just to come all the way back sounded like more trouble than it was worth. Of course, this was all assuming they were even followed to begin with. If they lost them in this city here and now, the Lumenari might not even have a trail to follow if they hadn't even the slightest idea of which direction they had headed off in.

Luckily, it looked like Nexus was currently considering all of her ideas. So that wasn't set in stone! Whew. Right, that weird place probably wasn't a very good idea, that she agreed with, but again she'd just been throwing out anything that came to mind. Even if some of them were bad ideas, there might be some that could actually work.

She listened as Nexus spoke, nodding. Arca and Serendipity. Alright. She'd remember that, and he was right, if this "Arca" place was the capital city, that'd be the perfect place to go. Capital cities always had the most security! So as long as Nexus wasn't really a criminal there or anything, they should be fine. And as long as the Lumenari didn't do anything in Serendipity. If they made a name for themselves, it might have bad results...not that anyone needed to know that she was a Solisi, nor that she had ever been a member of the Lumenari. After all, how many blonde-haired, light-skinned women were there out there? A lot. Maybe not a lot in this town full of sailors, but go further inland and there'd be a ton.

Niamh had been about to answer Nexus' questions and confirm that it sounded good to her, quite relieved that he'd never been in that town before--that would make things a little less complicated--but that had also been around the time that she'd tripped, and he'd even helped to steady her as she ran. Not only that, but he'd also gone on to say something pretty strange. Yeah, Niamh wasn't going to let that one slide!

"Right...thanks, I'll be careful, I--huh? Did you just say enjoyable...?" she repeated slowly, quizzically, though she wasn't looking at him now. Best to focus on where she was going! Because, uh, yeah, being carried would be kind of awkward to say the least, and embarassing, and so many other different things. And it would slow them down! Yeah, that was the real reason, it would slow them down. "I don't really see how that'd be enjoyable. More painful for me and more tedious for you..."

She cleared her throat and ignored the persistent, uncomfortable growling of her stomach. Rrgh, now just wasn't the time! Shaking her hair out of her face, she threw another quick look Nexus' way, one hand still hovering near her dagger. "Anyway! Moving on! Yeah, I think that should work. Like I said, they'll stay away from places with heavy security. A capital city should have that, right? And if we lose them here...it shouldn't be that big of a problem...I don't think...I mean, they can't follow us if they can't find our trail, but until we lose them, they'll follow. You took one of their 'sisters' and they won't give up easily."

But they were almost out of town according to him...and that was a good thought. She didn't know how far away Arca was or what it was like, but she was looking forward to getting there.

And man...it was probably a good thing Nexus hadn't mentioned his idea of being a tailor. If he had, Niamh would have probably collapsed in laughter and been unable to walk for a while. She'd probably find out eventually, though--if he did indeed go through with that idea.

Then another thought struck, and Niamh exhaled on a groan and started to slow down a little. "Nexus, wait..." she said, reaching out to grab at his sleeve. "How many entrances are there in this town? Because if we're gonna leave here, we can't use any of those roads. Knowing them, they'll probably have people positioned at all the various entrances, watching everyone who's leaving. Or...I don't know...can you smell them or anything, tell where they are? They might not have done anything like that yet, but just make sure."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Running from a group of angry people is always tiring poppet. There's nothing refreshing about it." Unless by happenstance you were running from a group of people who were releasing exponential amounts of magic and recharging you. Ahem. That wasn't the case at this time though. This was running from a bunch of people who dearly wanted to get their defiled denizen back and then string you up and burn you alive, then afterwards probably discover you made her a heathen and give her the same, if not worse fate than yourself. Yes this was a time when even if it tired you out, you couldn't get caught. He could hope they took time to organize, or perhaps saw that Niamh was 'safe' and didn't pursue her.

Who was he kidding? This was a fanatic cult. They were going to keep their members until death. Damn it all. Why did he always get involved with the really crazy ones?

"I...may have possibility said something along those lines." Yes, just pass it off as a harmless comment. That's all it was! No hidden meanings of any feelings there. After all, he was Nexus Savaros, torturer, defiler, and dead inside without any conscience at all. Yeah...That was him...That was him to a T wasn't it?

"A capital city should have walls and siege engines. That's how they did it my world. You didn't assault capitals in my world...Well...I know one person who did..." Nexus bit his lip as he thought about that. He had been told  by Feris some of the deeds his good friend Carthax would do. Carthax did it all in the name of...his God. Driven insane perhaps by the whispering of power, the gentle prodding and pushing of a God who wanted more...

"Yes though, we should be safe in the capital city. If the Lumenari won't go there, then we'll be fine. No doubt they'll hire mercenaries and the like to retrieve you but, I haven't ever met a mercenary I couldn't best." Nexus was good at fighting, it was his life, but he was good at many other things. Kidnapping for one. However, he never ever had a kidnapped person who WANTED to be kidnapped. Usually he dragged people kicking and screaming. This however...this was different. This was good. She wanted to go with him. Wanted him to take her away from all of it. This would be a piece of cake.

Nexus stopped when she grabbed at his sleeve, forcing him to either stop or drag her right along with him. He stopped though, as he was sure she had something good to say. That of course was true, as it made him blink several times. He lifted his nose to the winds, his hand going up to tip his hat up, and he sniffed. Oh she was good wasn't she?

"I knew you were useful but I didn't expect you to be out thinking me already." The thought of guards and sentries never crossed his mind actually. He believed it would be smooth sailing and they could just leave town easily. Luckily this was just like most towns, too rural to afford large scale walls and the like. Hell, not even a fence. After all this town would be evacuated and burned at the first sign of trouble wouldn't it? Ahem.

"We'll cut off the road then here, and head through the alleys and make our escape out one side of the town." Nexus turned his attention to a nearby alley, which he gestured for her to follow as he started walking again. The smartest thing Nexus SHOULD have done, and he realized this, was to head directly to the camp and leave that way. The Lumenari would have sent all their troops in through different ways to find her, that only a few would be left in the camp. A head on strike was always a surprise. This would have to do however.

"We'll get out of here Niamh. I'd put my life on it."

Rhindeer

Alright then. That was a little strange, but she wasn't going to pursue it. Come to think of it, she probably didn't even want to know what had been going through his mind then. Niamh blinked, then frowned when a couple of memories flitted through her mind, certain events which involved him feeling her up in some way, shape, or form. Riiight...enjoyable...that pervert. But it was odd that he seemed a bit awkward about it for once--the change was noticeable. That was a bit strange, but...probably best to just let it all slide, since that seemed to be what he was trying to do, too.

Besides, there were more important things to think about! Like getting out of the city.

As Nexus explained about capital cities and the like, she nodded, not answering so she could save her breath, though she did wonder who the heck would try and assault a city like that...and if he was successful. She'd have to ask him about that sometime, though maybe not now, because if that person was successful, she didn't want to kow about it now! Alright, good, that was like how Solis was and how many of the cities she'd seen here were, though it would be just her luck if this Arca place was the one capital city on the planet with minimal security. She doubted that, of course, but it never hurt to be cautious! In any case, once they got there, all would be well...they wouldn't assault the city, they weren't stupid, and again it all depended on if they could lose them or not. If they lost them early on, they would be home free and wouldn't have to worry about--

"Mercenaries?!" Niamh blurted, her eyes going wide as she jerked and looked up at him. "Good grief...I hadn't even thought of that...ugh, they would do something like that, too." He was right. There were many experienced people among the Lumenari who were good trackers and warriors, but if all else failed, they might go so far as to hire others, even heathens, to help, people who knew the land better than they did. They were all dedicated to each other, fiercely loyal, and like Niamh said they all considered each other to be brothers and sisters under the Sun. If one of their own was in danger, they didn't just let it slide. Oh Light. Another time, and she would have appreciated their steadfast dedication, but right now...

"We just have to lose them here and now, is all," she mumbled. "So they don't even know where to look to begin with." Yep, she really did want to be kidnapped right now. It still felt odd, but, eh, what was she going to do about it? A lot had changed. She never knew so much could change in a matter of two--well, three now?--days. Or three weeks if you wanted to be really technical, because that was where it all started.

Her words seemed to have impacted Nexus, for he stopped when she tugged his sleeve and even sniffed the air, and she stopped beside him, waiting patiently if anxiously. What he said next, though, made a lot of that anxiety melt away.

Not because she was comforted exact, but for another reason.

Despite the situation, Niamh couldn't help but feel a surge of pride at that and she could even feel the beginnings of a smug smile tugging at her lips. Oh ho, so he hadn't even thought of that, had he? Now probably wasn't the time to be concerning herself with matters of the ego, but she just couldn't help but feel, well, good about finally one-upping him, petty as it probably was. She was just naturally competitive like that and especially so around someone who had just about as much arrogance and pride as she did. Oh man, two dominant minds working together. That probably couldn't be good. But, no, she was probably being bad! She shouldn't be competing with him now, not when they were in this together, he was trying to help her, and they were kind of fleeing for their lives. Right. Bad, Niamh.

"You don't hang around the Lumenari for over a year and learn nothing," she told him simply, though there was a cocky smile there that she couldn't quite repress. Heh heh, if she couldn't beat him physically, she could at least keep one step ahead of him in terms of thinking! Not that she was trying to beat him now. Nope. Ahem. She passed a hand through her hair. "Besides, I was one of them. I know how they work, so I've got a bit of an edge there," she added as she once again started to walk, following him into the alley, trusting his judgment here.

This should work. Their numbers weren't large enough to circle the city or anything, so they'd probably just focus on the major entrances and exits. Sticking close to Nexus, ignoring the rats that scampered about picking at the old garbage that was littered there, she looked over at him. Since they were just walking now, she wasn't too concerned about having a clutzy Niamh moment. "I know..." she told him, honestly believing him. He hadn't lied yet, and...ugh, it was strange that she trusted him. Then again, she supposed that was all she had left now. "Be careful, though...you already are putting your life on it, you know. Both of our lives."

Then she went quiet for a moment, just letting him lead the way and listening to the sounds around them, to the sound of their footfalls and the skittering of small animals. Then finally she spoke again, still keeping her voice hushed. "So...how many times have you done something like this?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Yeah, she probably didn't want to know or try to understand what was going on in Nexus's mind. Not even HE knew what was going on in there, and he really didn't want to focus on it. He could remember quite a few times when he wasn't sure what was running through his mind...like the time when he decided to let his hands roam a little bit along Niamh's body. That had probably been a wrong thing to do, but at the time he didn't really seem to care.

At least Niamh wasn't talking that much, she seemed too focused on running and jogging to seem to want to talk. Heh, that was good. Sometimes she had too many opinions for herself and that could be a little...interesting for most of the time. Well, he liked a person that could speak their mind no matter what. Even when she had been tied up she was pretty...vocal. No screams though, a pity really. He had wanted her to scream oh so much but she never had.

Once more he had thought of something she hadn't eh? That made him feel a bit better about all of this. Heh. "Great, so everyone is a suspect now. Just when I thought that things might go smoother." It was too late to fake their own deaths. Niamh had been spotted alive and well, though he hadn't. Maybe...maybe they could use that? He wasn't sure how to use it yet but...eventually he could use it. He'd have to think on that and figure it all out. Well, not think right now, as he had to think on how to escape and the like.

"I think your right about that Niamh. I really think you are." Sigh, that meant he was going to have to be the bait. He had a rather good idea on how to do all this, but he couldn't allow it with Niamh with him. He could easily lose a group of people inside a town, but not when he had to look out for someone else. However, finding out if people were at the exits was a much more...interesting topic anyways. When he finally did smell them, he was a little concerned, but at the same time...he had a brilliant plan. Mostly brilliant plan.

"This is true. At least some things have stuck in that mind of yours." It was banter, not an insult. He was proud of her really, and the tone in his voice showed it. He smiled lightly as he continued to walk along through the alley ways. They had at least slowed down from their running and jogging, as they had to be very careful and not make too much noise. Ergh. Would Niamh mess it all up and start tripping over rats and trash cans? That would be...well that would be bad wouldn't it?

"I promise you this Niamh, you'll be getting out of this alive." Would Nexus sacrifice himself for her? Absolutely. She was his friend, and he was fiercely loyal to his friends. He would set himself on fire and run into some exploding gunpowder if it meant Niamh could get away safe. Of course, this was always because it meant that he wouldn't have to deal with his emotions anymore, whatever it was that he was feeling for that matter. He wasn't even going to delve into those personal matters until they were safe and sound and could...talk it out.

"Over a thousand times at least. I lost count about six fifty." He told her quietly as he stopped suddenly, turning around to look at her. Carefully, he reached up and removed his hat, placing it onto Niamh's head.

"Niamh, you're going to count to a hundred. When you do, you're going to walk through these alleys and exit the town through them. You're going to run. Run as fast as you can toward the forest, then hide there." Nexus had a quiet somber expression on as he stood in front of her, putting one hand on her shoulder, smiling ever so lightly.

"If anyone tries to stop you...just...use this." He produced a fiery looking whip of burning orange and red. The hilt was quite cool to the touch however, so it would be safe. He assumed she knew how to use this of course, but this was special.

"Crack the whip to shoot a fireball at the target, wave it around to create a small wave of fire in the direction of the whip. Good luck." Then he winked at her and he headed back, exiting the alley and started stalking the streets. He was headed for the actual exit, and he was going to do this as...carefully as he possibly could. There was a large amount of danger involved here after all.

It took him no more than thirty seconds to reach the main exit, and as predicted, it was swarming with Lumenari. He had thought there was nine, but there was only seven, and they didn't seem all that happy. Of course, they spotted him right away, and he stopped dead in his tracks, a surprised look on his face. He had to act this one out perfectly, lest the ruse would not work.

"You'll never find your precious little sister. The poor bitch has been branded and is being held by me! Not even that whore of a Goddess can save her now!" Harsh language, Nexus knew this much, but as they started gathering up spells and weapons, he knew it worked. That's when Nexus began to run, dodging by rays of burning light and fireballs. A few grazed over his skin, and he gasped with pleasure and surprise. He patted the fire out on his clothing as he ran, dodging to the right just in time as a Fireball soared past his shoulder.

There was shouting and screaming from behind him, and as he knew, they were following. All of them. All seven angry mages and such chasing after him yelling and attracting more attention. A rather surprised looking Lumenari man stepped out in front of Nexus, but was quickly struck down by the crack of a whip. Lightning coursed through his body and he fell immobilized to the ground, which helped as Nexus vaulted over the man. Ah! This was just like old times now, perhaps a little bit odder but still...like old times.

Nexus had to get them all away from the east area, and he was doing just that, soon with the Lumenari scanning the centre of town as he led them on a wild chase. He had no idea how many seconds it had been, but by this time Niamh must have gotten out of town. This was probably the best time for him to make his daring escape and hopefully be free of the wretched Lumenari. Many threads began to appear in his hands, ones of grey, black, and blue colours. Ahhh, this was going to be chaos! He started waving the threads everywhere, sending small blots of the different magic around the fish market. Fog began to form, as well strange vortex's of black wind and the like. He was instilling chaos into the surrounding area, sending everyone that was there into a panic. Thankfully a crowd was somewhat forming, so this was good.

Nexus quickly weaved his way through people, escaping amongst the utter insanity that was now the market square. Then he started a weak jog toward the exit. He had to get out of here...he COULD get out of here. He had to...for Niamh. Yes. He promised her. No. He had promised her that she would get alive. It was inconsequential if he made it out alive at this point, all that mattered was if Niamh made it out alive. He had to head back to the alley, go through that way to see if she actually moved, and then go on to the forest if she wasn't in the alley. Hopefully...she didn't get captured.

Rhindeer

[Doot doot doo, feel free to manipulate any NPCs here. ^_^]

Heh, so she was right yet again! Man, if this kept happening, she'd just have to start keeping score. So far, she had two points and Nexus had...er, maybe it was best not to think of that, actually. Yeah. Score-keeping might be a bad idea. She'd just take her victories and be happy with them. She did have to snort, though, at his comment. "Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" But she knew it for banter, and she stuck her tongue out at him. "I'm young and sharp minded, what can I say! As opposed to, y'know, a senile old one-thousand year old guy." She winked at him, somehow managing to be calm and even a little cheerful now--somehow, this kind of banter just helped to calm her more, maybe because it just downplayed the severity of the situation. But she did trust what he said. They'd get out of this.

She failed to notice how he never said "we".

Niamh stared at Nexus after her answered her question, eyebrows arching as she gaped at him. "Holy...! A thousand?" she repeated quietly, her voice a mixture of bemusement and amusement, since she wasn't quite sure which emotion to settle on. A thousand times at least? And he was, what, some amount of centuries over a thousand years old? Yeah, she was already doing the math. She looked back out ahead of her and shook her head, blinking rapidly. "So...that means you've done this at least once a year. Light, I don't know whether to find that comforting or--" That was when Nexus stopped and turned to face her, and she paused as well, cutting off her tangent just like that.

For a moment she was tense, thinking he'd heard or smelled something. But then he just went on ahead and removed his hat and set it on her head, while she glanced up at him in confusion.

That confusion was soon cleared up as he started to explain, his hand resting on her shoulder though this time she didn't react to it like before. Instead, her eyes just grew larger. Wait! He was leaving her? Niamh opened her mouth, wanting to ask what he was doing or where he was going and any number of other questions, but he kept talking, and anything she'd been about to say died on her tongue when he produced the whip. Despite herself, Niamh just about dropped it when he gave it to her, though she made sure to grip it firmly even if she did shoot Nexus a sour look. A whip. Why a whip of all things? Her sour expression faded, however, when he explained what it could do, and when she finally looked at it and noticed that it seemed to have been made of fire, her element.

Okay...maybe it wasn't that bad. Except of course for the fact that she'd never used a whip before (nor had any desire to!) but she could figure it out! Didn't seem that hard, just...crack it or wave it around. "Alright, got it, but Nexus, where're you--oi. Alright...see ya..." she sighed, seeing as he was already walking off, leaving her. "You better be careful," she added in a low mumble as she stared down at the whip, even though she knew he probably couldn't hear her.

Which was a good thing. She wasn't worried about him, after all! Psha, no way. She just needed him to survive, that was all! Really.

After that, she wasted no time in counting, knowing he was up to something. He wouldn't ditch her, not when he'd gone through so much, uh, trouble to get her in the first place. Splitting up was probably a good idea. She just hoped he wasn't doing anything stupid and life-threatening...

Twenty one thousand, twenty-one one thousand...

Eyes and ears alert as she waited, she leaned back against the alley wall and quickly decided to put Nexus' hat to some use. She stuck the handle of the whip between her teeth and reached up so she could tuck her hair under the fedora, then tipped it down and forward a little to try and hide her face with the brim. Eh. That probably wouldn't do much, come to think of it. Her clothes--wait, she was wearing new clothes, wasn't she? Great, maybe if she did run into anyone she could just slip on by! The whip might draw attention, but other than that...okay, yeah, this would be fine. Just go through the alleys, run to the forest. She didn't know the way, but she was sure she could figure it out. If she just kept following these pathways then it they should eventually lead out. They had to end somewhere.

Too bad she didn't know about the man who had seen her earlier at the inn, the man who would have likely also given out details of her updated attire. Nexus had never told her about that; she had just figured he had been able to smell them close by.

The sounds of shouts and screams in the distance made her blood go cold, and even though she had only been up to eighty-three, she figured it couldn't hurt to go seventeen seconds early! In a second she had pushed off from the wall and begun to jog through the alley, holding the whip in a white-knuckled grip and reaching up every now and then to make sure the hat didn't fall off--har har, kinda like the game she and Nexus had played. Speaking of...

You better not get hurt, you psycho... she thought, wincing when the sounds of commotion seemed to increase. That...didn't sound good. But she couldn't stop and go back, and whatever it was he was doing, Nexus had experience in doing it, right? Over a thousand years of experience. It would be fine. Reaching the end of one alley and rounding around a corner, she wound up behind a cluster of buildings and paused for a moment to orient herself. Good, good...the alley systems weren't much different from Solis. Glancing skyward briefly, she took a deep breath and continued heading East. That had been the way Nexus had been leading her, so she stuck to it. Thank Goddess she had a good sense of direction. Confident that she was almost out of this, she picked up her pace.

Shit! Only to skid to a hasty stop when two figures entered the alley then from the other end, two figures she immedietely recognized. One a man with hair even lighter than Niamh's, a bleached white, the other an older woman with red hair, both unmistakingly Solisi with their light skin. Jahi and Ket. Both friends of hers.

Both froze just as surely as she did. Niamh ducked her head to shield her face and hoped beyond hope that they hadn't recognized her. She had changed her clothes. They shouldn't be able to recognize her--

"Niamh!" Niamh jerked. Oh shit. "Niamh, thank the Light! You're not hurt are you? If that fucker hurt you..." It was Ket, the red-haired woman, that was speaking as she approached her, and Niamh could only watch as she and Jahi closed the distance, her hand tightening on the whip. Oh Goddess. She had to use it. She had to use it now. These were her friends, but they would kill her if they knew...if they knew.

Oh no...

She had been so sure of her decision, but now as she saw them, her friends, her adopted family, lines of actual concern etched into their faces...once again she began to waver in her decision, knowing good and well that this was it. She could go back to her old life if she wanted and take her chances. Or...or she would have to hurt them, and then everyone would later learn from them that she had become a heretic and a traitor, and the news would reach her family and friends back home. It would officially be the end of her old life and nothing would change that. Light...tt was so easy to decide to leave and start anew when she wasn't actually looking at her loved ones. It was so easy to fight when you weren't fighting people you cared about. It was so easy when the consequences and the choices were still all abstract and not actually standing right in front of her.

Niamh felt strangely distant as Ket took her by the shoulders and gave her a once over, checking for injuries--and doing a double-take when she saw the fiery whip, since Niamh was known for being weak in her gifts--as Jahi stood over them both like a sentry. The woman was a healer, not a fighter; that was why Jahi was with her. But strange whip or not, Ket wasn't concerned with that for now.

"Are you injured, Niamh? Niamh...? Hey!" She snapped her fingers and Niamh jolted and looked at her. "Fuck...he hurt you, didn't he?" Ket asked, obviously taking Niamh's silence and stiffness as evidence of that, when the truth was that Niamh was just torn. No...she wasn't torn anymore, actually. "Come on...you're going to be safe now, that bastard's being taken care of now. You're going to be okay...let's go, we'll talk when we're out of here. Jahi, let the others know we found her." She laid her hand on Niamh's arm, and Jahi nodded and turned to head off to do just that.

Without even thinking, Niamh abruptly twisted and slammed the heel of her palm into Ket's nose before following through with a swift elbow blow to her gut, and the poor bloodied healer went down with a thud. Jahi spun around then in shock and started for her, and Niamh drew her arm back and cracked the whip--only to watch the damned fireball fly off course, her aim off. Gah! Not her fault! A staff was one thing but a whip was another! Acting fast, she waved the whip instead, but with a sharp motion of his hand, Jahi dispelled the fire before it even reached him, and then he was on her before she could do much else but draw her arm back to strike him with the whip itself.

He dodged expertly and grabbed her wrist, giving it a sharp twist so that she yelped and dropped the whip. "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you possessed?" he demanded, a mixture of anger and exasperated concern in his voice as he roughly shoved her back against the alley wall, the air leaving her as her back smacked it and her head followed, and for a moment she saw spots of light. "What'd that guy do to you?"

But Niamh wasn't through. Disarmed, she began to struggle wildly, and he cursed loudly when she brought the heel of her boot down hard on the toes of his, knowing good and well how easy it was to break the bones there. She used that small distraction to thrash one arm free and grab for her dagger, which began to glow, and she was more than ready to use it, not to kill but to injure. And she would have, too, if he also wasn't quick enough grab that wrist, though she continued to kick and thrash in his grip, even biting him at one point. Thank Goddess they were...friends. That bought her some time as he struggled to figure out a way to subdue her without injuring her too much, clearly thinking she'd lost it. Maybe she had.

And Niamh hated every second of it, but she knew she had to do this--both of them had to be incapacitated, otherwise the whole escape plan just wouldn't work; they'd know where she and Nexus went. Thank Goddess she'd pretty much stopped thinking at this point and was just acting.

Anonymous

Nexus was perfectly safe as he stalked his way through the alleys. There had been one reason he gave his hat to Niamh. It was because then he could have mistaken identity. With his hand on he was Nexus Savaros. Without it, just another brownish haired man in the crowd. That's what he had been hoping to use to his advantage. However, Nexus now slumped against the wall of an alleyway, his breathing was quick and ragged for a few minutes. So much magic. He had used so much magic in this time and...he was so tired.

Bah, he had gotten a good sleep hadn't he? He couldn't remember anymore. That wasn't the point though. Mighta been outta the frying pan but now he was into the fire. He had to move, he had to keep on going and make sure that Niamh got out alive. Pushing off from the wall he forced himself back to walking, trying to take his mind off being tired. Instead, he thought about the wounds, which got his blood pumping so to speak. The pleasure had been a nice distraction from the weariness at least.

Nexus found himself back at the alley way where he had left her, then continued on when he didn't find her. He was following her scent at this point, she had such a unique smell it was quite easy to go by. He wasn't sure if it was his imagination, or if it was real, but there was some sort of commotion going on. Someone was yelling and screaming, struggling and the like...He knew exactly who it was. He was back to running, coming around the corner and freezing with a small grin on his face.

This was a sight he never expected to see. Niamh was fighting with the Lumenari. He expected her to just turn on him and go with them but she was fighting the man that was holding her. This didn't look like the Niamh he knew though, the one that had stalked and looked for his weaknesses. The one who had subdued and grappled with him. This looked like a frightened child fighting for her life. That's what snapped Nexus back into his thoughts. He looked down to his hand, where a small whip of electricity materialized. Uh...no...that would go through him and into Niamh. Best to save that for later. The electricity stopped coursing through the whip and he grinned. Yes. Much better.

The first whip crack seemed to freeze the strange fellow who was grappling with Niamh, more importantly because it had been a pin point strike to his arm. The second crack brought the point to his side, finally making him realize it wasn't Niamh who was doing this but someone else. His eyes fell upon Nexus, who was standing there with whip in one hand, and a grin planted firmly upon his face.

"Now I don't think the lady wants to go with you sir, try looking for a date somewhere else perhaps." Insults were the best way to get someone's attention really. It made them focus on you instead of their main target. That's exactly what happened too, as he pushed Niamh away to rush at Nexus.

"You bastard! What did you do to-" The man never got to finish his sentence however, as Nexus got the upper hand so to speak. Well, technically he got his hand around his neck and lifted him from the ground. He thrashed wildly in Nexus's grip, trying to fight for air at this point. Nexus tossed him aside into some garbage bins, just because he was nice and didn't want the man to be too hurt. That's when the whip glowed with power and he struck the man's chest, sending the electricity coarsing through his body. That stopped him, paralysing him for the time being.

"Glad I got here just in time poppet." Nexus dragged the bloodied woman and the man together, tying the two of them up quickly with a strong rope he created. Ugh. He should start carrying ropes on him instead, all this creating was going to make him tired. With the knots all done up and the whips put away, he went to Niamh to make sure she was okay. He did take his hat back of course, putting it onto his head and smiling.

"I'm...glad you're alright Niamh. We need to get going." Show emotions later when it was appropriate. When they were both sure that they got away. However, Nexus had one more thing to do. He knelt down in front of the struggling, still awake man, smiling at him calmly.

"My name is Nexus Savaros, the Thread Master. When you're eventually found, I want you to take a message back to your superiors. Leave me alone. Don't ever come looking for me or for Niamh." Nexus's voice was quiet, it had a sort of finality in it that made most people shiver.

"You're nothing but heathen scum! The Mother Sun will punish you for this you bastard!" That was the only reply that came back to Nexus, but he didn't show any sign of recognition of what had just been said to him.

"Tell them that every person they send, I will kill. Whether it's Lumenari or Mercanary, I will kill them. If I have to I will blot out the sun and I will destroy every one of you. I will hunt you down, and I will make you all suffer. The smartest thing they can do, is forget. If they dwell on this, they will die. I promise you that." Nexus stood up and turned his back, walking forward to stand beside Niamh. He readjusted his hat carefully then with a beckon of his hand he began to walk.

"They'll come looking for us Niamh. To kill me." His voice was quiet as he spoke, his arm had moved to around Niamh's shoulders to bring her forward with him out of ear shot of the two of them. This he didn't really want them to hear of course.

"Now let's keep moving shall we?" The focus here was to get the Lumenari to hate him so much they would forget Niamh all together and want to kill him outright. That's what he wanted to have happen. If they forgot about Niamh then she would be safe, and well...he would be raised again in Heiroth. He could always come back to this strange realm once more and find Niamh...hoping of course she didn't get lynched without him. Maybe it would be a better idea to stay alive so Niamh didn't get herself killed. Huh. Oh well.

Rhindeer

The sudden, sharp sound of a whip cracking and Jahi's gasp of pain made Niamh give a start because, well, that sure hadn't been her. Her whip lay discarded on the ground, but maybe she'd just been imagining things; she had no time to consider it. But then came the second whip crack, and Jahi once again flinched and this time turned, pausing, and it was then that Niamh had a chance to glance over his shoulder, also instinctively freezing--only to see Nexus standing there, grinning like the self-assured bastard he was and looking a little roughed up, but very much alive and himself. Niamh's eyes widened and much to her own surprise she could feel some of that wild fear leaving her, replaced instead with pure relief, even though she was still currently pinned.

Thank the Light...

Dear Goddess. Niamh had never thought that she would ever be relieved to see him again, but she was. Wasn't that ironic? She had dreaded encountering her friends, and yet the tension eased up a bit when she spotted Nexus. It seemed backwards, and yet she didn't even care. He was okay, she felt better just knowing that...and he couldn't have had better timing, either.

It didn't take long. Nexus made that comment of his, something Niamh could have laughed at if it were any other time, and in an instant Niamh had been pushed away, grunting as she hit the wall again and nearly toppling over, but she quickly braced herself against the wall before she could. Jahi hadn't been angry with Niamh, and she knew it...he'd been exasperated and worried, but not angry at her. From what he'd said and the tentative way he'd handled her even when they were fighting, that much showed, otherwise she'd probably be in a world of hurt right about now. Who he was angry with was Nexus, because it was he who was responsible, and angry was indeed an understatement. And after all, he didn't realize what Niamh had done, either, or that all this was her choice at this point, that she was equally guilty now, that she wanted to go with Nexus; she hadn't said a word throughout the encounter because, honestly, her throat felt too constricted to speak.

Nexus was quick and efficient, and Niamh watched, hardly breathing, as Jahi was almost effortlessly taken care of and then tied up with Ket. For a moment, she was worried about what Nexus would do to them, ready to step in and intervene even now--they were still her friends--but he didn't do anything. In fact, if anything, he had been a bit gentler on Jahi than she had been on Ket, which is to say he at least didn't break any bones while she was pretty sure she'd broken Ket's nose. Which she felt really, really bad about...

But it was all necessary.

She took a deep breath to calm herself, heart drumming in her chest, and gave a faint nod and weak smile at Nexus' words even as he took back his hat, her hair falling back around her face. She still didn't say anything, though, didn't say she was glad to see he was alright even though she felt it. Not when she was still within earshot of her old friends. Maybe she should have been more honest instead of just letting Nexus take all the blame, but right now they just seemed to think Nexus had screwed her up and taken over her mind or something, and she would be silent and let them continue to believe it.

At least then when they brought news of everything to her family, they wouldn't be shamed and hate her for being a heretic and a traitor. She didn't want to be remembered like that. Maybe it was cowardly, but...so what?

Niamh pushed off from the wall and sheathed her dagger as Nexus knelt and spoke with Jahi, a slight shiver coursing through her as she caught the words, the finality. Light, she hoped they listened. That they didn't follow. That they gave up. She didn't want to have to fight them again--it had been hard enough this time--and she didn't want anyone to get killed over her, whether it be Lumenari or...Nexus. Damn, this was complicated. When Nexus rose again and started to walk, beckoning her to follow, she practically leaped at the chance to get away, purposely avoiding looking at her old friends as she trotted after Nexus to catch up. She still felt slightly dazed, a little too distant from everything, but it wasn't because she'd been injured or anything. Aside from a bump on the back of her head and a wore wrist from getting the whip wrenched away, she felt fine.

Maybe it was because she felt so out of it that she didn't complain when Nexus put his arm around her, didn't even try and jerk away or resist. Then again, that couldn't really be all that, because that odd feeling began to wear off the further away they got from the scene as it finally began to register that, yeah, she'd actually done it. She's actually fought the Lumenari. And come out of it. And she was glad to be away from it all.

...Damn...

But Niamh simply continued to walk with him, then exhaled slow and long, the tension melting from her muscles. "Yeah...let's get outta here," she agreed quietly, staring out ahead of her as she walked. Then, even more quietly, she added in a mutter, shaking her head and still looking everywhere but at him, "You better not get killed, either...I kinda need you, y'know."

Then she gave a violent jerk and hunched her shoulders, still pointedly staring at the ground, especially now, though her eyes were wide with horror. It was really difficult to hide a blush when you had light skin, after all--the blood showed through quite vividly! Gah! That came out so wrong, and it certainly snapped her from her dazed state completely! "Around! I need you around! I don't know what I'm doing, so, uh...yeah. Anyway. Glad to see you're not too hurt, you kinda gave me a scare back there, leaving like that without any explanation. Don't do that again, or I'll kick your ass."

But her words lacked the bite she was going for, and instead came out all awkward and forced, and she still wasn't looking at him. Though she did clear her throat and step to the side when she realized his arm was still around her. She rubbed at the bridge of her nose to give her an excuse to feel her cheeks and gauge whether she was still blushing. Ergh. Stupid...phrases that could be taken wrong. "Ah...thanks by the way. For not hurting them. And for, well, you know. You have really good timing."

Anonymous

Well, at least Niamh was...happy to see him? Well that was just a little odd but was he going to complain about it? Not in the least bit. He felt a bit better that she was fighting and actually glad to see him. Looks like she had changed...and that was about the time he knew that he could probably full her trust her from now on. There would be no need to be wary of her anymore. That would be a large relief, having to look around for danger and over his shoulder at Niamh in case she tried to stab him. Yeah, that would be much better now that he didn't have to think about that sort of thing.

Nexus kept his calm, despite the fact that he was quite angry at the man for shoving Niamh into a wall. Yeah, he should have killed him for that. However, Nexus kept a level mind and knew these were technically Niamh's friends and family...so no. He couldn't kill them. If he did, then she might never forgive him and that wasn't a good option.In the days of Old, when he had more time, poor Jahi would be sliced and broken. Nexus would leave a mark of the encounter, break a bone and then set it so he might have a limp, or cut the man enough that he would be dizzy or disorientated, but wouldn't bleed out for a while. Not now though. He had changed a little bit.

There was that hope, that hope from the Old Nexus that they would follow, that they would come, so he could wipe the land clean of them...but...there was also that wish that no one would show. That wish that they would be fine and no one would come after them after this. Oh that would be marvellous actually. Then he could live in peace with...Niamh hanging around for amusement. Yeah. That's what she would be there for. Those feelings would get sorted out later. Much later. When it was safe and they had such time to go through things like that.

Nexus never expected these events. Not true actually...Nexus knew something like this would happen. Nexus was leaving his legacy so to speak. He did it where ever he went, to every realm. He left his mark on the world itself. Many realms had his picture and offered a reward, but they never knew the extent of his notorious actions. He was following orders in a way, he was simply doing his job, and yet...the people he helped never knew it. Nexus helped a lot of people, but that sort of help involved hurting many...many others. He righted wrongs...and the people who were righted suddenly never knew he had done it. He was just a murderer, a thief, and a heretic.

His thoughts were suddenly jostled from his mind as some very interesting words cut through the air. Had he just heard what he THOUGHT he heard? His eyes travelled to focus on Niamh, who seemed to be blushing darkly. Oh my. such fair skin was a blessing and a curse apparently...that was no matter though.

"Niamh, save those thoughts and that blush for another day. Now is not the time for us to go into something like that." If this had been ANY other time, where they weren't fleeing a small town and escaping from a group of fanatics , Nexus would have grinned and made some lewd or snide comment, but right now wasn't the time for such things. Right now was a time for them to be get out while they still could. He noticed that she moved away, slipping from his grip so to speak.

Barely a smirk came upon his face as he watched her, now stepping from the alleyways into the sunlight, onto some beaten dirt. They were out now apparently. After the dirt was an expanse of grass and forests onward. The forest would make a good hiding spot. Damn, hopefully Niamh could handle it...hopefully.

"I knew you would be mad if I hurt them and...well I knew you'd be very angry if I didn't come back. We had a bit of a deal after all." More so the deal was between himself, to keep her safe. Though he had made the deal to her as well hadn't he? Yes...that's another reason he couldn't just give himself to the Lumenari, because he wouldn't be able to protect Niamh. She was in a very bad transitional state, confused about the world and everything around her, so he had to protect her until she knew what she was doing.

"It'll be a quick walk to that rather nice forest over there. It'll provide us cover...we'll head into the middle, camp there for the night then leave at dawn." No names to be used here, just in case some how, someone was listening to them. He wasn't going to be the one to reveal their targeted location. Oh no. Arca was going to be the perfect hiding spot hopefully.

Rhindeer

Of course, the fact that Nexus actually noticed her blushing and just had to comment on it didn't help. If anything, that just made it deepen, and Niamh grit her teeth. Not her fault she embarrassed easily! "Something like what?" she hissed, voice a strained whisper, and despite herself she stiffened and walked just a little more quickly. And just what thoughts was he talking about? Oi, she probably didn't even want to know.

Gyah, it wasn't her fault she was blushing. She'd made an innocent comment that she then realized could sound kind of wrong and then she'd corrected it! That was all. Wasn't her fault she was playing it safe with him, but...maybe she'd just gone and made it worse on her own by correcting it, he might not have noticed otherwise. Maybe she was just still all high on adrenaline and nerves and should shut up now because she was speaking stupid. Heh, yeah, maybe. That sounded like a good idea. Yet shortly after she said that, she peered at Nexus out of the corner of her eye briefly before averting her gaze again. "Never mind. Don't answer that..."

But after that, she fell quiet for once as they walked, deciding it was for the better at this rate--and because talking a lot when you were trying to evade a group of people wasn't too wise. It was difficult, though! After all, she was a talker and she especially talked a lot when she was nervous (as Nexus might very well know) and right now she was still all jittery and shaky from that encounter, still in a state of disbelief at what she'd <I>done, the blood still rushing loudly in her temples. Jeez. It would probably take her a while to come to terms with that, because she still felt weird about what she'd done, if...relieved.

Well, Nexus should savor the moment, because the only other times she was ever this quiet was when she was asleep or trying not to cry. Or if she was gagged. Ahem. And even when she was asleep she sometimes snored, so she'd been told. She denied it.

Her cheeks were blessedly cool and she felt a little calmer by the time they came out of the alleys, and Niamh sighed with relief as the sun warmed her skin, glancing up at it as they walked and still not looking in Nexus' general direction. Finally, they were out of that town, although she did feel a bit...unsafe out here on this road, out in the open like this, and she did step a little closer to Nexus as a result, still silent, daring him to say a word about that. Though from what he'd said before, he wouldn't; they were in danger, and he was being serious...which was good. Lowering her eyes and staring out ahead at the forest that stretched out before them, she gave an uncomfortable shrug. Forests. Ah, well if this didn't bring back memories, heh...weird. It really was weird. Last time, he'd been dragging her struggling and flailing toward a forest, and now they were walking side by side and she wanted to be there.

Then Nexus finally spoke and stated the obvious, and Niamh gave a soft snort, snapped from her thoughts and glad for the distraction. Yeah, she would have been just a little angry if he killed some good friends of hers! Just a little! Unable to hide her small, wry smirk, she finally turned her head and looked up at him. "Yeah, you did good, I'm actually proud of you," she told him, breaking her silence, though she went quiet again as he explained the plans. Ugh...spending the night there...well, it wasn't really too big of a deal now she supposed...

In truth, she didn't mind forests that much, not in and of themselves. They were pretty during the daytime and often the trees were spaced apart so that just the right amount of light filtered down through the gaps in the leaves and branches. However, she wouldn't like going into one alone. She'd been born and raised in a desert where the land was flat and the only plants around were desert shrubs, yuccas, and the occassional joshua tree. Well, okay, so there were actually a lot more plants than that, that was an understatement, but the point was that the vegetation was spread out and low to the ground. You couldn't really get lost. Forests she couldn't make heads or tails of, but it was fine if she was with someone else. She'd gone through a few forests with the Lumenari...but, gah, she was assuming she and Nexus wouldn't be able to make much of a fire since they were trying to remain unseen.

Crap...

Oh well...it was only for a night...

"Hey, Nexus, speaking of that, um, I don't know about you, but I feel kinda...really out in the open like this," Niamh told him, picking up her pace and jogging a few feet ahead of him on the dirt road. Even if she didn't particularly care for forests, she wanted to be found by the Lumenari even less, so for once in her life she was actually a little uneasy being out there in the open. Then again, the town wasn't far behind, and the Lumenari could potentially come out here at any moment. You never knew. She spun around to face him, walking backwards and in front of him for a few paces as she spoke.

"So I dunno about you, but I'll meet you at the forest, alright? Snail." And with that said, she turned and bolted, eager to get off the road and out of sight. The possibility that Nexus could be walking because he was tired or injured never crossed her mind. He looked like he'd had some close calls, but he'd dispatched Jahi so easily that the idea never even occured to her.

Once they got there...hopefully they could finally relax.

Anonymous

It was hard for Nexus to miss such a comment and the blush, but he wasn't going to dwell on it. Whether it was subconscious for Niamh or just a slip of the tongue he didn't care. All he wanted was to make it to the middle of the forest and then collapse in a hammock. He almost groaned as he thought about that. Making a hammock. Gods. He wasn't going to be able to rest today. He couldn't possibly trance for five hours, not while the possibility of being chased was about.

"Just...never mind. Forget I said anything." So maybe it HAD just been a slip. And here he thought she might actually care for him. That was probably a good thing if she didn't, it meant that he wouldn't have to worry too much or get too attached to her. Why bother investing feelings into someone when those feelings couldn't possibly be returned? He was a heathen after all. Scum, dirt bag, murder, cut throat, rapist, thug...He was everything that he stood against, and he damned well knew it. Still, Niamh was free, and that made him feel better about himself. He had freed her from the Lumenari, opened her eyes to a different light.

Nexus gave a look over his shoulder toward town. He could see some smoke rising from the fish market. Excellent. Apparently one of his little attacks had caught something on fire. That meant that the Lumenari would stop to help put them out. He wondered how they would handle the ice and such that he threw about. Heh, if only he could see what's going on in town. Damn he wished he could scry and see what was going on with that place.

Her words brought him from his thoughts as he looked toward her with a couple of blinks from his eyes. She was proud of him? Wasn't he the only one to dote such comments upon her? She almost sounded like he was a dog who hadn't piddled on the new carpet. Hmph.

"I think I deserve a cookie then." There was only a hint of joking within his voice, but not enough to take away the serious edge that he had going at this time. He was after all fleeing for his life, so he had to be pretty serious at this point. Nexus knew that the forest was a touchy subject with her though, and was worried about the outcome. At night, they couldn't have a fire. It wouldn't be very smart...and if he had the energy he would create another one of those...solar blankets for her to charge during the day. At the time, the best he would be able to do is make a small handkerchief.

"Very well Niamh. I'll be there soon then." Nexus wasn't going to run. Nexus COULDN'T run at that point. He was just so tired, after outrunning the Lumenari, using all his magic like that, and then saving Niamh in the heat of the moment...he just didn't think running would be a good idea. However, he didn't like the idea that she was going to make it to the forest first without him. What if the Lumenari hid there, or the Drow for that matter? Niamh would be a bloody prize for those Dark Dwellers after all.

So, heaving a sigh of annoyance and pain, Nexus set off at a run toward the forest. Though his legs told him it was a bad idea, and his body got a little weary, he ran, catching up with Niamh easily. He kept his breathing long and constant so he wouldn't run out of energy too fast. It only took them a few minutes to reach the forest at their pace, and when they finally did Nexus stopped and slumped against a tree. Removing his hat he reached up and wiped a few beads of sweat from his brow. Damn it, he was wasting too much energy. He needed to eat. THEY needed to eat actually.

However, as he placed his hat upon his head, he watched the town. No one was coming for them, even as he squinted to get a better view he saw nothing from the small seaside town. Excellent. They were home free for the time being it seemed. Now all they had to do was move a bit further into the forest, and then find a good place to set up a temporary shelter of sorts.

"When we get further in, we'll stop and I'll give you some food and drink." Water of course, not wine like he had the first time she asked for something. After an exciting and eventual day like today, water would be a nice treat. Cold and crisp water straight from the Glacier Mansion of Naughtros back in his homeland. Yeah. That would be a nice treat wouldn't it?

"Now let's keep moving." With that, Nexus began to walk again, heading into the forest. He wasn't going to take the beaten path, but instead was heading through the rough landscape. He moved slow so Niamh could keep up and wouldn't get lost. That wouldn't be too fun, having to track Niamh through the forest to find her. The more time they wasted on not hiding, the more chance they had of getting caught. Too risky to get Niamh lost in a forest, she might very well freak out and have a nervous break down.

Things were going to be alright though...everything would work out in the end.

Rhindeer

It was weird that Nexus didn't seem in much of a hurry, that he wasn't running with her, but Niamh just sort of shrugged it off. Besides, she was halfway to the forest when Nexus suddenly caught up with her, having obviously changed his mind--either that, or he had just been giving her a head start. In any case, it wasn't long before they reached the forest, and Niamh trotted to a stop beneath the shade of the trees and leaned over to catch her breath, hands resting on her knees. Good grief...normally such a short run didn't tire her, especially after getting a good night's sleep and with Mother Sun giving her strength, and yet she was winded and panting just the same. Still short of breath, she lifted her head and looked to Nexus, who looked just as beat, even more so actually; he was slumped against a tree and wiping his brow, and it alarmed her. He had looked just as exhausted after he'd created that whole lighting system in the warehouse, and he'd hardly been able to move then.

Light, what had he done? She hadn't even thought he was tired, because he hadn't looked it. But that was probably because he was good at hiding it. In any case, she noticed it now. Or maybe he was just tired for the same reasons she was--because he was low on energy from not eating. Or maybe he just hadn't gotten a good sleep. Who knew.

Drawing a deep breath, she straightened again and rolled her shoulders just to keep moving, because if she stopped altogether she knew she probably wouldn't want to move another inch. After all, Mother Sun could only give her so much energy; she still needed to eat, and that seemed to be something she and Nexus had done way too little of these last few days. She knew she was feeling its effects, feeling more queasy at this point than anything and a little light-headed. Water and food would be really nice...but she wasn't one to complain. She could go without if necessary, and now wasn't the time for a picnic. They couldn't stop until they were safe, and even if he'd offered her food here and now, she would have declined.

They certainly seemed to be on the same page in that regard, and Nexus at least seemed well enough to keep going.

"Ah, alright, that'll be great..." Niamh agreed, stretching her arms over her head before letting them flop back to her sides. "You better eat, too...I can't be the only one starving. And then you can even have your cookie," she added with tired amusement. "If you have any cookies in that bag of yours at least." With another deep breath, she started to follow after Nexus as he stepped off the beaten path and tromped through the folliage, ignoring her stomach's protests and forcing her legs to move, watching the ground for roots that could pose as a tripping hazard. The light was dimmer here and the air was cooler, but she wasn't cold; the light was enough to keep her warm so far, and it did take her a while to start feeling the effects of the light's absense, anyway. For now, it wouldn't pose a problem.

Night...well...she'd just deal with that when it came. It wouldn't be comfortable, but Solisi weren't so weak as to be in mortal danger from a few days or nights of darkness. They could go a while, actually, but it would make them weak, cold, and uncomfortable. It wouldn't kill them, however, unless they were in darkness for...well, actually Niamh didn't know how long. But she assumed it would have to be somewhere around a week, maybe? A week at least of total darkness without any light at all before it actually posed a mortal danger. Other than that...it was miserable, but it wouldn't kill her. She didn't think. She wasn't going to test it, either.

It was easy to keep up with Nexus' slow pace, and she stole occassional glances over at him, a little worried over his condition. Something must have happened back in town...it did look like he'd been hurt, because she thought she could recognize a few burn marks.

After a while of just following him and focusing on where they were going--and swatting at some biting insects that decided to take a liking to her blood--she finally spoke again. "Nexus, you're hurt, aren't you?" she asked tiredly, picking up her pace a little to draw closer. Hopefully wherever they were headed, they were close to it. She couldn't wait to just sit down and forget about the Lumenari and being chased for a while. Light, she couldn't wait to just get to Arca for that matter. "Because you really look like you got...got." Maybe it was a statement of the obvious, but she didn't really care at the moment.

Anonymous

Nexus was used to this feeling, a light trancing followed by a nice long run and no food. Ah so many days and nights had been wasted doing exactly this. If he could stop, God knows he would. He would stop living this life and try to be normal but he couldn't. He really couldn't. This was how he was programmed, and this is what he was meant to do...Well not this specifically. Saving a young girl from a cult of people who wished her to kill and torture all those who were different. No. This wasn't usually on his repertoire, though it had happened once or twice.

Luckily the forest was good shade and cover for them.It was enough to get the sun off just enough to be cool, just not too cool. Ah, maybe he'd be lucky enough to find a stream or something in this forest, something to cool him off with. Must have spent too much time in the Sauna perhaps, his muscles were a little too relaxed. Heh, that must be it.

"I could eat a little bit yes. A cookie would be good but alas, my satchel holds nothing of the sort." Not that he knew of anyways. Things could stay fresh almost forever in that bag of his, so by all means there could be a cookie in there from five hundred years ago that would still taste the same as the day it was baked. He'd have to look into that, perhaps a cookie was tucked off into a corner of the magical pocket he didn't know about.

Night would be a good time for them both though. He'd leave Niamh to sleep soundly in a hammock or something while he tranced. However, he would make the hammock a little ways up in the tree for protection. Hm, he could almost picture Niamh falling out of the tree though during the middle of the night. Bah, guess he'd think of something later. Later when he had the energy to do such things.

Nexus didn't know the extent of his damages, a few burns here and there, and a nasty elbow or two he had received in the market place. His side stung a little bit, but the pain only excited him and sent a shiver down his back once or twice. He had in truth actually fractured a rib from a rather bony elbow he had received from a confused Lumenari. He had ignored the stinging as best he could each time he breathed. In retrospect, his long winded breathing that he was doing during running was the worst idea, and he was paying for it now by an acute pain in the side.

"I'll live...just a couple of burn marks from a few Lumenari and..." He reached to the lower left side of chest to feel around, wincing. Yeah. That was a cracked rib. "A cracked rib I think. Nothing I haven't lived through before." He'd make a compression wrap later and let the wounds heal on his own. It would take all night for the cracked rib to set itself in place and heal but by morning he would be his usual Nexus self.

"Don't you worry though, by morning I'll be healed." After all, this wasn't a huge setback. No, this was just some minor things that would go away. Thank the Goddess for speed healing, at least she was nice enough to give him that.

It didn't take them too long to reach a spot Nexus saw was suitable. He couldn't see through the tree line in any direction, and he had led them about several ways so even if the Lumenari did step inside they wouldn't be easy to find. There two fallen logs that moss had grown over, thankfully they formed a right angle, which would be perfect really. Somewhere to sit against, and cover if needed. Nexus carefully walked around the logs to the leaf laden ground on the other side. Hm. This would work out.

"Welcome to tonight's campsite." Nexus said as he started to go around, gathering up branches from the ground. They would need a fire, and in the daylight it would be hard to find. At night he would use an Everglow torch set to a low light setting. Just for Niamh, because well, he didn't want her too uncomfortable. After gathering up enough wood to start a fire for some breakfast, he found some stones to put around the fire so it couldn't spread. Thankfully all this work was taking his mind off the pain of his cracked ribbed and the odd sensation of his burns.

"I'll have some food cooked up in no time Niamh. Just have a seat." The fire was going after a small red thread had been wrapped around some of the logs, setting them ablaze almost instantly. Ah, this was more like it. Soon the fire was going, not giving off too much smoke thankfully. Nexus began to remove things from the satchel as the fire was burning away. A special metal stand to hold a frying pan over the fire, a small frying pan, and of course, the food. A couple of large looking eggs, some diced up potatoes, and strips of bacon. Nexus didn't care what they ate, he could eat the trees and the ground if he so chose to. However, if he didn't have to, then why bother right? With spatula in hand he started to fry up the food, first the diced potatoes, then the bacon, and then the eggs.

"The food will take a little while...so in the mean time uh..." Nexus took out a wineskin with a white band that had a small blue stripe on the cork. Ah. The Netari water. She might actually like this water.

"Try not to drink so much of this water. It's very hard to come by and it's rather special.." That's one way the Wraiths of his world got people to become Wraiths. They forced them to drink their water, which despite having no added drugs, was delicious, refreshing, and made you feel energized. People needed more and more, the only place to get it was the Netari Glacier Mansion, otherwise known as Naughtros. Then...they would turn you into a wraith. You wouldn't care though, because you were so close to the water you dearly loved. Until you found out that Wraiths have no need to drink or eat. It was a horrible ploy but it worked so often.

"I think there's only a few mouthfuls left in there, so only take a couple gulps. I'll give you more water later if you need it after." He had another wineskin full of this water, but still, he didn't want her to become attached to it. This was just to give her a little boost and pick me up, like a stiff shot of whiskey. This water would perk her up after that bit of running and escaping they had to do. Now though he focused back on cooking, wondering if he had remembered plates. Ah he was pretty sure he had at least bowls in his satchel.

Rhindeer

Oh...right. Fast healing. Niamh kept forgetting about that, even though Nexus had explained it before when she'd found the wounds on his back. It was just he looked so human that she forget he was something else entirely. Wait, or was he? He'd never told her what he was, so she found herself alternately assuming he was a human and assuming he wasn't, and it could work either way really. Some humans were gifted with a speedy recovery time and he had apprently been created by a Goddess, so...it was possible she gave him that. But no human she knew of drank blood, either...and he'd kind of liked licking her blood when he'd been in psycho-mode. Vampires did that, but he wasn't a vampire. At least, he didn't have the fangs or the aversion to Mother Sun that she'd heard those creatures had.

Huh...she'd have to ask him what he was sometime, just for curiosity's sake. It wasn't like it really mattered, in any case, because odd as it might seem, while Niamh and other Solisi were prejudiced against a lot of people it rarely had to do with species or race. If they were some creature of darkness, like a drow or vampire or something like that, then species and race mattered. But by and large the main issue was simply religion, and others could be accepted as their own if they only converted, not that any of that mattered anymore to Niamh. Not really. But it would certainly take a while for her to get over her kneejerk, biased reactions when faced with other "heathens". Old habits died hard.

"Er...okay, as long as you're sure you're not gonna keel over or anything," Niamh said slowly, giving a sympathetic wince. Even if he said it was nothing...ow. A cracked rib would have to hurt. She'd broken a bone before. She could sympathize. "You might wanna put some cool water on the burns at least. That'll make them feel better until you heal." She didn't know what to do about cracked ribs, though, so she couldn't help him there.

She also forgot about that other little detail about Nexus liking pain. Maybe she was just conveniently forgetting it since it just...boggled her mind so much.

Finally, they got to a Nexus-approved location after a lot of walking and going in a lot of random directions. Niamh was thoroughly relieved when Nexus said the magic words as they came across the leaf and log littered area, and she stopped and slumped onto one of the moss-covered logs without having to be told twice. She felt a little silly, being so worn out after that when she was used to walking and riding many miles a day with the Lumenari and having energy to spare, but then she'd gotten plenty to eat to prepare her for a trek like that. She was running on empty now, so she had a reason for feeling drained! Still, she didn't complain and she wouldn't, either. It was just a relief to finally be away from town and the Lumenari and someplace safe and secluded.

Well, she might have complained about Nexus going around and gathering up wood like that and offered to do it herself, considering his rib, but...he was a grown man and as stubborn as she was, so she held her tongue. He'd lived over a thousand years. He probably knew his limits.

She did have to blink in surprise, though, when he started to prepare them some food. "Whoa...so you cook, too, huh? Man, I could get used to being waited on like this," she told him with a grin, watching Nexus take out the various supplies he'd need after he got the fire started. Oh Goddess. Eggs, bacon, and potatoes. For once she didn't wonder how the heck he was able to keep all those things in that pocket of space without them getting all smashed or old or something, and instead Niamh wrapped her arms around her stomach to try and muffle its rumble of approval, especially as he finally started to fry up the food and its aroma filled the air. She'd never smelled anything better...though she did have to admit, it was a little difficult to keep from laughing as Nexus went about cooking. Honestly...she was starting to see a lot of different sides to him, and for some reason she hadn't really been expecting...this.

It was kind of funny in a way. He seemed more like the type to tromp out into the woods and slay some...bunnies or something. He had that whole rugged thing going for him and he seemed to like blood! But instead, he kept going and doing surprisingly normal things like this. Oh, she still wouldn't get over the fact that he kept a journal...

But for a moment she was distracted when Nexus offered her the wineskin of water, and she accepted it gratefully, thirsty as she was. Another person might have given Nexus an odd look when he called that water special. After all, water was plentiful here and it all tasted the same, right? What could be so special about one of the most common resources? Niamh, however, gave a nod of understanding as she took the wineskin and pulled out the cork, and if Nexus told her to only take a couple gulps, she only took one before she swallowed and plugged it back up again, holding it back out to him. When you came from the desert, you tended not to take water for granted; it was a precious resource.

"Thanks,  Nexus, I think I'll be good for a bit," she told him, wiping her mouth off on the back of her hand before sitting back and watching him again, crossing one leg over the other, ankle over her knee. She felt surprisingly better after that small drink, but it never occured to her that the water had special properties to it--she just figured it was because she'd been thirsty and it had helped.

Then she tilted her head to the side, eyeing Nexus ponderingly as the food-smell filled her senses. "All you're missing is an apron," she blurted before she could help it, finally voicing some of her amused thoughts, and then her eyes widened and she promptly clapped a hand over her mouth. "Ah, I'm sorry! Er, just ignore that! I'm hungry and feeling weird, uh...yeah. Never mind. Do you need any help or anything? With anything? You're the hurt one and all..." she added quickly to change the subject

Anonymous

Nexus was just Nexus. Well, the classification his Goddess had given him was 'Savaros' which had by no coincidence been his last name when he was born. It wasn't so much that Nexus survived off blood or anything, but it was a cultural thing. The most personal thing you can do is drink someone's blood. Blood is there everything, carries their magic, carries their DNA, their essence, that sort of thing. To drink their blood, is to basically drink the person. It's also a show of dominance for that matter, just like most of the things Nexus did, it was to show that he was the dominant person of the group.

Sometimes Nexus wished he was back on Heiroth. It was easy on Heiroth. Religion was simple really. Did you like this God? Well then follow that God. There was no bid for power over regions there, as the Gods were active and often told their followers not to kill and try to convert others. If you wanted to worship the God of Fire in a place mainly run by followers of the Water Goddess then you weren't really oppressed. However, there were racial problems in Heiroth. If you were a Fire Mage Drow in a city of Water Mage Elves, chances are you weren't going to last very long. Nexus never really fit in, because everyone seemed to know he wasn't a human. He was like...something else completely. A foreigner. Still. Heiroth was his home.

"I'll be fine. I've walked with broken legs and climbed mountains with broken arms." That...wasn't exactly true. He had walked before with a broken two and a smashed up foot...but he wasn't stupid enough to walk with two broken legs. As for climbing mountains...well he could remember a time when he had to scale the wall of a castle one with a broken elbow and a sprained index finger..."The burns feel fine. They're already healing. The skin however will look a little toasted for a few days." He never understood why his burns didn't heal properly. They always looked a little bronzed for a few days, then they would heal.

Whether Nexus liked the pain he was in at the moment was hard to say. It hurt for sure, but it also made him...excited you could say. It felt good, but he still felt the initial sting.

Nexus had to make sure they weren't easy to find. Though, if you travelled in a straight line you are less likely to get lost because most people when in a forest can't walk completely straight. Bah. No need to worry about that though, he knew they had travelled pretty far and in good directions. They were safe for now. At least he wouldn't have to go cutting down trees or anything for firewood, there was an abundant supply of fallen branches and the like already. Forests were always ready to provide for those in need. You just had to know what to look for.

There weren't very many limits when it came to Nexus. He could do everything he used to be able to do when injured, maybe even more things. Being injured drove him to do a better job, so he wouldn't be injured again, and because he wanted to stay alive. Besides, this was just a cracked rib and gathering up some fire food.

"Going back to my trump card of living for a thousand years, you learn how to take care of yourself real well." Nexus didn't...really mind actually doing all this work. It made him feel useful at least, and he felt like he was helping Niamh out after what he did to her. It was his fault she was out here after all, his fault that she was being chased by her people. Though weary and in a bit of the strange painful pleasure he was experiencing, he at least felt like he was redeeming himself. That and he liked to cook because things usually smelled terrific, more so to someone like him with his heightened senses. Cooking smelled great to him, and he could tell when things were done being cooked. That was always the really great thing. Usually there was very little burnt food when Nexus was involved.

Nexus was a very complicated guy. He looked like rugged and mean, but he was intelligent, resourceful, and actually had thoughts and feelings there didn't involve killing things and drinking blood or even pain. He was an enigma to say the least.

"That water is from a special place in my Home realm. The creatures who make it are terrible beasts but...they water is some of the best. It refreshes a person but they can become addicted. A terrible fate for anyone." Nexus didn't know if he could be affected by addiction...it would be odd if he could become addicted to things. Hm. Well he was addicted to pain..sorta...kinda? It was hard to understand if he was addicted to pain, as he seemed to get into painful situations a lot after all. Maybe he just longed to feel the pleasure once more? Who knows.

"...An apron. Very funny. I've got half a mind to just not feed you know." His tone was just as amused though, so he wasn't truly angry at her. He really hadn't expected her to say it though. It had almost been funny too. However, he started removing plates from the satchel, placing them on the ground and then dishing some potato slices onto each plate. Then he began to cook the sausages. "I'm good right now Niamh. I've been hurt a lot more than this before. It'll heal in a few hours." He told her with a shrug and then a small wince. Still, it was going to feel very odd for those few hours. Blech.

Rhindeer

Toasted skin...well, if that didn't sound just lovely! And appetizing. Oh well, as long as he would be okay. Which, erm, if he could climb mountains with broken arms and walk with broken legs, it sounded like he would be just fine. Still, just the thought of that made her wince and shudder. Just...gah. Maybe it was best she didn't ask how he managed that; she'd broken her arm once, and that had been hell, she couldn't even move it much less think of moving it. "Ow...I don't know how you pulled that off, because I broke my arm once and...yeah, that wouldn't be happening. But if you say so, I guess I'm not too worried," she said slowly, rubbing her right arm, the one she'd broken when she was younger, thoughtfully. Ow.

She did have to snort, though, when he called his age a trump card, finally giving voice to her own thoughts. "Right, right. Yeah, I'm sure you do." Hopefully now that he knew it was a trump card he didn't try and use it just to gain an advantage. Whatever advantage he could gain. She hadn't the slightest clue, she just knew it wouldn't be very fair! "Still, you didn't learn how not to get hurt," she pointed out with a wry grin, leaning back with her hands behind her on the log, comfortable and relaxed.

It was nice out here...still early in the day as it was, the forest wasn't all dark and foreboding and the temperature was pleasant. Birds were singing...finally she didn't have to think about the Lumenari or what she'd done--ugh, she didn't even want to think about what she'd done. It was true they weren't out of the woods yet--no pun intended--but it was a start.

However, what Nexus said after she'd drank the water snapped her out of her relaxed state promptly.

"Hold up, what?" Niamh jerked and looked up at Nexus sharply, a bewildered expression crossing her face--which had paled some, even if it might not be noticeable given her complexion.

"Addicted? That much isn't gonna make me addicted, is it? What I just drank? I just had a sip, even less than what you told me..." she said hurriedly, sitting up straighter and swallowing, concerned by what he just told her. Gah! He shouldn't have told her anything! After all, her faith and culture was purist for the most part, and even if she had split off from the faith the culture was still a part of her. No drinking except in moderation and never to the point of losing your wits or getting addicted. Remaining chaste and modest--unless you were married of course. No...well, anything should be had in moderation, never to the point of addiction, never to the point of losing control, and never to the point of abusing your own body. The body was the temple of the soul, after all, and you couldn't very well serve your Goddess, or respect Her, if you abused Her creation--yourself. That's just how it was and those were just some of the values that were engrained in Niamh all her life.

And all Nexus' talk about it being a terrible fate, getting addicted to that water...gah! Maybe she was just paranoid, but she just didn't like details like that being tossed out after the fact! Even though she knew--or thought she knew and hoped it was true--that Nexus probably wouldn't let her drink or eat something that would have adverse effects, so...probably what she had was perfectly harmless? Biting her lip, she drew a deep breath and let it out in a huff. "You...wouldn't let me drink that much if you knew it'd be bad, right?" she added after a pause, giving him a look that said he had better answer with a "yes". She shook her head.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't offer that sort of thing if she'd get hooked...and she wasn't feeling any effects. So, it was probably okay and she was just being paranoid. "Light, just warn me in advance next time, will ya?"

Good grief.

Well, at least Nexus' reaction to the apron thing made everything better! He took it with good humor, and Niamh cracked an amused grin. "Hah, you wouldn't dare. I get cranky when I don't get fed and I don't think you'd like that. Besides, that'd be mean if you didn't feed me. Feed me?" She raised an eyebrow at him, smirked, and then reached down to swipe a slice of potato from the plate that she'd apparently decided would be hers, before hissing through her teeth and promptly dropping it back onto the plate. Ahaha, yeah, it was hot. That probably wasn't too bright. She shook her hand out and continued on like she hadn't just done something stupid. But dammit, she was hungry and impatient and it smelled good! "So what am I now, a dog?"

She stuck her tongue out at him to show she was teasing, then sat back again, willing herself to patience...and frowning when she saw his wince. "If you say so..."

Anonymous

"It's not so bad, by the time I was done I had healed up." Best to make her feel like he truly was all powerful in a way. Besides, it wasn't lying to her, it just wasn't going fully into detail. Yes. That's exactly what it was. He should keep telling himself that shouldn't he? Besides, he did like to play with her mind like that. It was harmless fun after all wasn't it? She couldn't get too mad at him for it. He needed to occupy himself, and he never really had a travelling companion before. You never needed one when you were running and hiding from different religions or law enforcements.

"Maybe I wanted to get hurt because it feels good?" He said simply, a grin of his own crossing his face. Nexus understood that she wasn't a very big fan of the whole pain for pleasure thing but he still liked to freak her out with it a little bit. It was fun, she was so...well innocent could be a good word perhaps. Naive might work just as well at this point. Still, if you didn't grow up in an environment where his condition was common then what could be blamed at that point?

"Yes, addicted. Like one gets addicted to tobacco or gambling. The feeling of being alive, you need it more and more with every drink you have...and soon you're showing up at the door of the creatures I mentioned. They welcome you in, and turn you into one of them. Then you're stuck there, and you no longer drink water or eat food...it's a lure, but it helps when you need to be perked up." He explained to her like it was some every day experience. Well for some people it probably was really.

"Don't worry about it Niamh. I wouldn't let you drink enough to get addicted. You might have trouble sleeping tonight because you're a little active but...that's about it. I'll warn you next time I give you something potentially ah...addictive though." He told her with a small chuckle. She was pretty worried over all this now wasn't she? Well her fears should be put to rest, Nexus wouldn't let her become addicted by something like that. She was a strong girl, so hopefully she could handle it all. Hopefully. He'd be there just in case she needed him to hold her hand! Hah hah. She probably wouldn't like the sound of that.

He chuckled when she tried to steal some of the potatoes but ended up just burning herself. "Here I thought you people could control heat and fire. Hm, teach you to try and swipe some potato. Now be a good girl and just wait for your food." Then Nexus turned around and pointed a finger at her. "Stay! Staaaay...ah! I said stay!" Then he went back to making sure the sausages weren't burning. He had to be careful after all, didn't want them burning. Soon the sausages were cooling on the plates with the potatoes, the eggs now cooking merrily away. Scrambled of course, much quicker that way.

It only took two minutes by his count for the eggs to be done. The fire was left to burn while he dished out the eggs and picked up the plates, moving to sit beside Niamh, handing her a plate. He got them forks from inside his satchel, which he knew he should probably get for Niamh. These things were handy, and no doubt someone here on this world could make them. If not he could make one! Just...not not while he was tired.

"Like I said, I'll be fine Niamh. Seriously. Don't you worry about a thing." He told her warmly as he handed over a fork to her now. Damn he really wanted to eat this...it was pretty delicious actually. It had to be, it smelled just as delicious so...Now he started to dig in, spearing some potatoe with his fork and lifting it to his mouth. Mm. Yes it was a little warm but damned if it wasn't delicious actually!

"You'll like this...it's pretty delicious..." He told her after swallowing the current morsel he had been chewing. Manners before compliments after all! It was the polite thing to do. He smiled as he looked back to the food and continued to eat. Mm, it was delicious, and this would help him get his strength back thankfully. He reached into his satchel to remove a wineskin without any sort of colour on the band.

"Here, take this. Water. Plain old water. Nothing different about this stuff." He traded it for the other wineskin, which he promptly finished off drinking. Ah. Energy was nice! So very nice. Was he addicted to this stuff? No...not really. It was good to keep on you for emergencies, but he never felt a need to go back and refill the wineskins. He started out with about three wineskins, and was now down to one. That was over a span of four hundred years so...it was a good record he was sure.

"So, what do you think?"

Rhindeer

Niamh just stared at Nexus for a few moments, unblinking. Yeah. She still didn't get that, how something that hurt could feel good. It was kind of disturbing. Well, more than just kind of. "Isn't that like an oxymoron or something?" she finally asked, knowing she probably shouldn't question this whole stupid thing and that she should probably just try and forget it, but she was way too curious for her own good. Besides, seeing as he was now her travelling companion she figured she might as well start trying to understand him. Genuinely understand him, not just dig up dirt on him that she could try and use to save her skin--since saving herself from him wasn't an issue anymore. She didn't think.

"It can't feel good if it hurts...can it? That doesn't make any sense. Besides, that's really kinda stupid y'know...you could really get hurt or killed doing stuff like that." She shifted uneasily where she sat, still watching him oddly, head tilted a little. Ugh, she probably didn't want to know, but it was like...seeing the aftermath of a battle. You didn't really want to look, but morbid curiosity compelled you to. This was kind of like what that was; she didn't really want to know the answer--too bizarre--and yet she did. Ah, maybe she was naive...she didn't think she was of course, but it was true that she hadn't had much experience outside her own culture and, well, she'd never even heard of something like what Nexus was talking about.

After all, it kind of went against the whole body being the temple and taking care of yourself thing. "I mean, why not just...get a back massage or soak in a tub or something? That feels nice and isn't, uh...weird." For lack of a better word.

She was relieved though when he told her that, no, that hadn't been enough of that water to get her addicted. Because that whole story of his? It sounded pretty miserable. She had no idea what those creatures were, but it did not sound good. And she liked eating, anyway! Food was good. Especially right now when she was really, really hungry...she'd go crazy if she could never eat again, because it was just so tasty and Light those sausages smelled good. That would be a depressing existence. To never eat again. Maybe this was just the hunger talking, but man, it seemed like the worst fate ever at this point.

"Ah, good, very good to know...had me worried there for a sec..." she muttered, and she could certainly see what he meant about having trouble falling asleep. Because Niamh felt wide awake right now, and she knew she would probably perk up even more once she got some food in her. Hopefully it would all wear off by nightfall because she'd need her energy for the next day, she was sure. She didn't know how far away Arca was, but she was sure it would involve a lot of walking to get there.

And then Nexus said something that made her flush faintly in embarrassment and fold her arms over her chest, almost sulkily. "Hmph...I <I>can control heat and fire..." That probably made it a little worse, since she could have avoided burning herself by just using her gift to cool the food. Problem solved! Of course, she sometimes forgot to use her power when it came to menial tasks and usually she just waited for food to cool or blew on it. No point in wasting energy on something small like that, right? "I just kinda...forgot. Can't blame me! You haven't been feeding me enough so I'm allowed to forget stuff."

Then she snorted and rolled her eyes at him when he answered her dog question by...talking to her like a dog. Hoo boy. Part of her wanted to be offended and yet she found herself smiling, trying hard not to show her amusement by outright grinning like she wanted to. What the hell was that? But she supposed it was her fault for asking the question to begin with. Instead, she just raised her eyebrows and looked at him curiously,lips pursed in a failed effort to contain her amused expression. Finally, she just gave up and chuckled at him, bowing her head and pressing a fist to her lips to hide it, even if her shoulders shook a little as she still struggled to repress it. She didn't even know why she was hiding it, really...except that they'd just escaped from a bad situation and she was still getting used to Nexus. Or, rather, the new, nice, warm Nexus.

"Eheh, woof? Goddess, Nexus, you're so weird...ahem...right, so, uh...do I get my food now? And before you even think it, no, I'm not doing any tricks."

Finally the food was done and Nexus came over to sit near her, which for once didn't make her feel uncomfortable. Then again, he had the food! And Niamh had a bit of a one-track mind at the moment. She took the plate gratefully, the wonderful aroma strong to her senses, and she would have been perfectly happy to just eat with her hands. She didn't care, manners be damned! In fact, she probably would have gone straight to it if it weren't hot and Nexus hadn't held out a fork to her. Niamh blinked a few times in surprise as she took it--he really did have everything in that satchel didn't he?--before she stabbed a sausage.

"Yeah, it smells really good!" she told him, blowing on it to cool it since she'd learned her lesson, before taking a large bite. Ah, Light...she actually closed her eyes, savoring the flavor. Right then, at that moment, it was the best thing she'd ever tasted. Ever. Either Nexus was a good cook or she was just really hungry, but she didn't care which it was! In any case, she made short work of that sausage and went to work on the potatoes, distractedly trading wineskins with Nexus as she ate and swallowing when Nexus asked his question. Manners be damned indeed. She was practically shoveling food into her mouth, but she did pause long enough to speak at least and she knew better than to talk with her mouth full!

"Hm? Oh! I think it's really, really good, Nexus." As if that weren't obvious. "You're a good cook! Either than or I'm just hungry. But you obviously you learned something over the years, heh," she added with a teasing grin.

Anonymous

If Nexus could understand why he felt pain, he might actually be able to fight it, but all Nexus knew that if a whip were to drag across his skin or a dagger to slice the flesh then he would shiver with excitement and think only of what might come next. There was no true explanation as to why he felt pain as he did, maybe it was Feris's will for him to feel it, or perhaps it was his own demented ways. Sigh. If only he could figure it out, but no amount of meditation would reveal the answer to him. Only the voice of a certain Goddess could answer such a question.

"It's...it's really hard to explain...My brain tells me that it hurts, that it's bad, but my body craves for more, wants it to happen again...There is the feeling of excitement and pleasure...but at the same time there is pain. It's mixed signals." He really didn't want to try and explain it, to comprehend why he was...as he was. He had met a lot of people like him, where a whip across the back would feel oh so good. It was just how some people were at least.

"What feels nice to some Niamh may not feel nice to others. I've met an entire culture once who being touched by a living creature caused them physical and mental pain. I remember this one culture that believed themselves to be so pure that even if they touched each other they had to spend an hour praying to their Goddess about how unclean and imperfect they were. It was...well it was time consuming." He told her with a wry smile as he thought about the race. They were a strange bunch and Nexus couldn't have been happier to get the hell away from them. All the praying and telling their 'Goddess' how shoddy they were. Ugh.

"I'd never go about getting you addicted to something Niamh. Addiction is a horrible thing, and may seem harmless at some aspects but..." He didn't finish that subject, he just went back to cooking. Nexus had to deal with a woman once that had been addicted to a very strange substance. It was magical in origin and destroyed many lives, including a poor woman who he had to really help out. Ugh...He really didn't like his job sometimes, because it got to him most of the time. He was always dealing with people who were higher in status and abusing that power on the lower class folk.

"Really now? Well then I guess that sensation in your fingertips was nothing then." It was a quick quip back, and Nexus was proud of it really. Nexus would teach her all in time, like instead of using energy to cool off food, sucking in the energy of the heat from the food. There were so many ways in life to gain energy, but then again there were twice as many ways to dispose of energy wasn't there? "Oh I haven't been feeding you? I forgot that I was in charge of that. Would you also like me to dress you and clean you as well? Maybe make your bed and clean your home?" Nexus inquired, a slight, ever so slight hint of sarcasm playing in his voice. Oh yeah. It was funny to him. Though, the bathe and clothe thing might not be a bad idea. Ahem!

At first he expected her to snap at his dog comment, or to even respond by saying he would be a lower dog or some such thing. Anything just to get a word in edge wise. However, ther ewas a bit of silence...and then...chuckling. Oh he had caught the chuckling quite nicely. It make him smirk as she tried to hide it though. Nexus could see her, even if he was watching the food at this time. Ah multidirectional viewing could be a bliss at times right? In more ways than one too. Nexus liked this better though...what they had right now. It was like...a peace...they could joke and they could laugh...they could just act like a couple of regular people. That was...that was truly nice for Nexus, who never really fit in with anyone but his brothers. They of course had been made to be like him, and in this world it was much more different.

"Oh darn. I was going to make you do a back flip and then sit up and beg while you balance a piece of potato." Nexus idly replied as a grin spread to his face. Alright that was called for after all. When Nexus sat beside her...she didn't flinch...she didn't move away...she didn't seem to mind. That was...interesting perhaps? Maybe she was just too weary to even care. That might have been it then.

"Well I do try my best here you know. Glad you like it at least. I'll make us up some bread and meat later for lunch." Lunch would be a long way off, and it wouldn't be too elegant. Just a bit of cheese, some bread and meat to feed on. After all, he wanted to continue on soon enough. It was only an hour or so after dawn, and they would need to find a better spot to hide. That reminded him though, about something that he should take care of. His hand came out to watch the fire, focusing on it. Ah. That's what he wanted. Slowly the flames seemed to draw toward him in the form of a rope, connecting with the palm of his hands. However, it did not burn him. Oh no. It wouldn't do that. Then with a small sputter the fire was out, and the coals were dead. No smoke or steam would be produced that could give away their position at this time.

Nexus went back to munching on his food, one eye on his plate, the other was focused intently on Niamh. Thankfully it just looked like he was staring down at his plan, though no doubt if she looked carefully she would see the noose of his eye watching her carefully. A burden and a curse it was, much easier for someone to know what he was looking at. Ah well. He didn't mind one bit at this point.

"I always liked forests. They're peaceful places for the most part. Nature coexisting with itself. Heh, you mortals could learn a lot from forests you know. I don't hear much about insect wars and oak trees banding together to overthrow the evil and different redwoods." He grinned at her as he looked to her, a sort of 'only teasing' look gracing his face for a moment. He couldn't blame her for what she had done...but now...he had saved her. Feh. Good bunch of saving though, straight out of one perilous journey and into one that could spell certain death for the girl.

Rhindeer

Hard to explain or not, it was enough for Niamh even though she couldn't even fathom what it was like for something painful to feel nice, and she couldn't help but give a subtle shiver at it all. Mixed signals. It made sense, or as much sense as it could make, and she decided not to persue the subject any further. It was enough for her and Nexus seemed to dismiss the topic, but it was still kind of worrisome. Pain after all was the warning your body gave you to let you know it was injured or in bad health and it was an added incentive to stay out of harm's way. But if it instead felt good...that could be really dangerous. So if Nexus liked getting hurt, well, he could knock himself out! As long as he didn't literally knock himself out. She kind of...well...

She just didn't want to be alone, she guessed...

But as Nexus went off on a related but different subject, Niamh couldn't help but comment on that one. "Seriously? But...how...how did that first race even raise children then? Or the second even? I mean, you gotta hold your children and stuff...you have to touch them to feed them, clean them, bathe them, but if that would hurt the first and the second would be praying all day as a result..." Her brow furrowed as she ws obviously trying to work out the logistics of it all, but she finally gave up, took another bite of egg, and swallowed. "That's just kinda crazy. And really sad," she concluded. "I mean, my people are all about purity, but...not like that! Ligh, time consuming, indeed. Their 'goddess' must have had one sick sense of humor."

Not that there was nothing wrong with her own culture, of course; she was beginning to see how screwed up it actually was, the religion at least. But it was still easier to see the craziness of another culture than it was to see that of your own.

When Nexus assured her that he wouldn't get her addicted to anything, that addiction was a horrible thing, part of Niamh found it kind of funny. In a twisted, dark sort of way. He could say that addiction was a horrible thing and that he'd never do that to her, but...he'd never even apologized for kidnapping her and whipping her and scaring her all to hell. Then again, maybe he had apologized to her in other non-verbal ways though, like healing her, taking the scars onto his own body, helping her escape, taking her under his wing now, and he had genuinely looked like he felt bad about it at times...but still...maybe she was just old fashioned, but a verbal apology would be nice, too. An admittance that what he'd done to her had been wrong and horrible and he regretted it. Something like that. Sure, actions spoke louder than words...but it still would have been nice to hear. Bah. Stupid thoughts, really...especially since she had forgiven him. Hadn't she?

But she said nothing about that, feeling foolish for thinking about something she kept trying to forget so she could just move on with her life, and just smiled a little instead, reassured nonetheless. "Good, because no, it's not harmless. It's never harmless to let something else be in control of your life," she said with a firm nod, glad that they both seemed to be on the same page here.

And that their conversation was heading for happier topics.

"Uh...well...that was more like me kinda being impatient and whatnot..." Niamh answered sheepishly, lowering her eyes to her plate and giving a discreet cough. "C'mon...I can control heat but it still burns, so...uh...yeah. Anyway." Yeah, she had no real comeback for that. But at least she had one for what Nexus said next! Straightening up and fixing her gaze on him, she grinned wryly at him. "Hey...you know what, now that you mention it...sure, I wouldn't mind you doing the cooking and cleaning and making my bed while you're at it. Just like a good housewife should! Always hated chores like that and you'd probably look good barefoot in the kitchen with an apron and ladle. Like you belonged there."

Her smile was perfectly innocent even if her tone was light and teasing, just friendly banter as she slowly started to feel a bit more comfortable around him--he seemed to be okay with joking and all. She nonchalantly munched on her food, rolling her eyes skyward in thought. "But I think I'll take care of cleaning and dressing myself, though, thanks! I'm pretty sure I can handle that. Perv." That she added in quickly while shooting Nexus a very dry, knowing look. But, actually, that did bring up a good question now that she thought about it. No! Not the cleaning and dressing thing or perv thing, something else, though, something else that was momentarily put on the back burner as the teasing continued.

And that she did laugh at, not even trying to hide it this time, and she very nearly choked on her food. Luckily she didn't, though, and managed to get it down before she could cough, only thumping herself on the chest once. "Ahaha, yeah, sorry to disappoint, Nexus, but if I attempted a backflip I'd probably break my neck, my sense of balance also sucks, and I don't beg. So, yeah, that wouldn't work out very well. Besides, why do tricks for food when you already gave it to me? That was your first mistake." And with that said, she mixed the last of her potatoes and eggs together and finished them off happily, feeling considerably better and comfortably full. Not knowing what else to do with her plate, she set both it and her fork down on the ground and finally took a sip of some of the water--the normal water.

Ah...the infamous cheese and bread. Oh well...while that would seem pretty meager compared to the egg, potato, and sausage breakfast beggars couldn't be choosers and it might be a good idea to eat light while they walked and everything. "Sounds good. I think I'll be good for a bit on this, though. Thanks!"

Niamh interestedly watched him finally put out the fire, still finding his whole ability pretty...well...fascinating in a way, she had to admit. Using threads and strings like that. It had shocked and surprised her the first time he'd done that weeks ago, and it hadn't stopped having that effect yet. He really was like a human spider in a way. Only he could make anything it seemed. For a few minutes she just watched the fire pit absently, relaxing for once while Nexus ate--and totally oblivious that she was being watched--at least until Nexus finally spoke up.

She turned to look at him, shifting her body on the log a bit, and then actually ducked her head and hunched her shoulders a little, a slight flush creeping to her cheeks. Crap. Once again, he had a point and was...right. Even if he was obviously joking, still, it was valid and she could finally see it, whereas another time she might have just looked at him like he was totally stupid. Damnit. Lifting an arm, she rubbed the back of her neck slowly. "Er...heh, well...you never know, trees and insects don't exactly talk, either, so...maybe they do and we just don't know about it, eh?" she said with a sheepish grin before chuckling and shaking her head. She looked briefly away from him, instead looking out toward the trees. "Hmm...I like forests during the day if I'm not alone. They're very...well, they're very green. Kind of disorienting, too. But they are pretty...just a bit closed in I guess. I'm so used to wide, flat lands where you can see for miles and miles, but honestly...I don't know which I like better. They both have their beauty..."

Then she blinked and gave a small start, twisting around again to look at him and holding up a finger. "Oh! Hey, speaking of, before I forget...this is kinda random, but, ah, I was just wondering...what happens when we get to Arca? I mean, where're we gonna stay and all that?" She didn't think you could live in an inn since it sounded like they were going to be staying there for a while, but you nevr knew. In any case, she was curious.