Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return to the Wild (Small Wonder!)

Started by Anonymous, December 04, 2006, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was dangerous indeed for Nexus. He loved his pain, but he wasn't going too much out of his way to get himself hurt. Well...he might, it was really hard to know what exactly he was going to do to feed his pleasure. Nexus was glad though that he could still feel normal pleasure, but not pain, just...it would be more pleasure for him. Nexus was at least in control of it all though, he had a good grip on his pain and pleasure.

"It was very complicated and they wore a lot of clothing. I never really understood the xenophobic race but they could pray before hand as well, but they avoided eye contact as much as possible." He told her with a small shrug. He went back to eating, almost finished for that matter. "Heh, there wasn't a Goddess that ruled in their land. It was two Gods actually." Nexus commented with a shrug. A lot of the time Nexus got to meet different Gods, because he wasn't from their realm.

Nexus didn't think her race was that screwed up, he knew her religion was screwed up but not her race. It was very...interesting for that matter.

Nexus was a big man, in both size and in ego. HE didn't apologize very often for what he did, instead, he would apologize in ways that he didn't actually have to say he was sorry. Nexus had done some pretty bad things to that poor girl, but he had all tried to make it up to her. If he had to make her clothes and food for the rest of her natural life than he would do it. If he had to stand in front of daggers and arrows to protect her than he would. He was going to protect her and care for her until he had made up his time.

"Ah, well in time I'll teach you to control heat properly, so you will not burn. If I had more time in the Lumenari fight, I would have been uninjured by their flames." Nexus looked to his burns as he set the plate down on the ground, shaking his head. "Oh? Well then just for you I'll wear nothing but an apron and hold a ladel for you." He told her with a small smirk. She wanted him to wear nothing but an apron after all! "So you don't want me to pay for your baths and make all your clothes then? Well then if you think you can." He said innocently, turning it right around her to make her sound like the pervert.

"Hm, well I guess next time then I'll have to hold the food back until you do a trick for me. Thanks for telling me this or I never would have got it." He was planning to do that though, to just see what the girl would do for a trick. Mm, maybe begging would be sort of nice to see her do. Heh heh heh. That would be really interesting now wouldn't it? Later though...later. Maybe for lunch? Yes...for lunch he'd get her to beg!

"You are most welcome." He told her as he set his plates now upon the ground beside hers. He'd clean those later, right now he just wanted to enjoy the feeling of being nice and full. Ah delicious to say the least.

"Who is to say that I don't hear them? I knew a God who had nothing better to do than to just listen and talk to animals and insects. Strange and hyper fellow. Apparently they think we're silly, according to him at least." He moved his arm suddenly, putting it around her shoulders and grinning at her. "Don't worry poppet, I'll protect you from the darkness and the big scary forest." He actually meant that too, but it did sound a little...playful as well. Maybe he was mocking her just a little bit, but he would protect her. Nexus had to keep his promise to her after all.

His arm fell away when she turned to look at him and he smirked slightly, nodding. "When we get to Arca...well I was thinking we'd buy a shop or something along those lines. I haven't much thought on what we'll do. We'll need a cover, a place to live, that sort of thing...so once we get there...I'll think on what we'll do." Ah there was too many things to do at this point. He wasn't sure if the tailoring thing would work...Niamh would have to use...her talents eventually.

"I need to your skills Niamh...if we have to get jobs and such. I don't think bounty hunter or priestess will do for such jobs. Honestly I was...thinking...I could be a..." He stopped as he coughed, looking completely away from her to the fire pit. "Tailor." He mumbled quietly as he tried to cover it up. He knew that she was going to laugh...he knew she would laugh at that.

Rhindeer

Niamh had been about to ask Nexus what he meant when he said he would have been uninjured by the flames, but...other matters quickly diverted her attention.

"What? No!" Niamh exclaimed with a jerk of alarm, color rushing to her face as she stared up at Nexus in horror. What the...! How did he get that out of what she said?! She threw up her hands quickly. "Not what I meant, so not what I meant! I mean...you...just...gyah!" With an exasperated groan, she slapped her palm to her forehead and just shook her head, quite obviously embarrassed, but when you came from an conservative and traditional background, well, she couldn't be blamed! Hah hah. And he looked just so innocent and happy about making everything she said sound wrong, didn't he? Yeah right. Sure as the Sun, he was not innocent.

"Just...forget it. Keep your clothes on. Yeah..." she finished weakly, before raising her head again and glaring mildly at him as he continued to be all...embarrassing. Oh great!

"You better not. I would advise you don't try it...I'm not doing tricks for food," she told him firmly, suddenly a little worried. Er...he was just joking about the whole trick thing, right? Oi! She could never be too sure about Nexus, that was one thing she'd learned since the first time she met him--he was unpredictable as all hell. It was also probably a good thing she didn't know about his little thoughts concerning begging, otherwise...she wouldn't be a happy camper. It was even worse since she knew that if she was hungry and if Nexus really did hold back on the food until she did a bloody trick, she'd likely cave. If she couldn't get to the food using force. Because force would be her first resort, like tackling him and stealing his meal instead.

Light...he better not be serious about that.

She nodded at him when he told her she was welcome, still a bit preoccupied with hoping he wouldn't remember the whole trick thing, but she was blessedly distracted when he started talking about that god of his. Niamh still wasn't sure what she thought about all that, but at least the story was amusing? With a scoff, she smirked over at him. "Heh. Well, I guess I can imagine we would seem pretty sill..."

The words trailed off abruptly when Nexus put his arm around her shoulders then, her mouth still hanging open and body tensing a little out of reflex. She shut her mouth quickly though, glanced down at his arm, and then looked back  up at him slowly. Uhh...Niamh swallowed audibly, and a nervous laugh escaped her when he told her that he'd protect her from the "scary forest", but she held still for the most part, much to her own surprise. She was probably too surprised to move. It was one thing when she was crying on him in the heat of the moment because she was having a melt down--something she was still embarrassed about, honestly--but...

"...Ahaha...yeah...um...gee, thanks for that...I feel better already knowing big, bad Nexus will keep me safe! Uh, yeah, right, heh." Whoa, she was proud of herself, her voice didn't squeak or anything even though her heart was suddenly racing. Wow...this was really awkward, too. But then he moved his arm away, and she swallowed again and cleared her throat, straightening where she sat and rolling her shoulders back. Whew.

Then he went on to answer her question and she folded her arms over her stomach, still feeling a little weird, and she nodded slowly. A shop...? Yeah. They would need a cover and place to live, a shop made sense. They'd need jobs. Speaking of that, her skills?

He was right. If they had to get jobs and live like regular citizens, she'd have to start thinking about what she could do and crusader or priestess wouldn't cut it. If she hadn't left Solis to spread the Living Sun's message, she probably would have become a priestess since she found that more liberating than her other options. But she couldn't exactly do that here. Not without getting lynched or blowing their cover. Or both. Er...but what else could she do? She'd never actually had a job in Solis, and had instead gone to study at the temple. And while she had her skills, she wasn't really sure which ones would actually be useful for a real sort of everyday job.

Horseback riding...burning stuff...sand painting...fighting with a staff...fire dancing. Niamh stared down at her hands as she thought about it briefly, but she didn't get far into her thoughts because Nexus was speaking, and his tone was much different than usual. Curious, she watched him, noting that he seemed...uneasy? Be a what? He looked away and coughed, and she waited for him to finish his sentence, and when he finally did, it was such a low mumble that she almost didn't hear him.

Except she did. And when she did hear him, she was pretty sure she had heard wrong--for all of a few seconds at least.

Wait...did he...did he just say what she thought he did? Niamh blinked rapidly as the word slowly sank in, puzzling it out in her head. Heh. Her lips twitched. "A...ta...tailor...?" she repeated blankly, bemused. A tailor. Was he...was he serious? She bit her bottom lip then to try and keep quiet as a sudden wave of amusement washed over her, then drew her lips together tightly, but still she could feel the impending giggles welling up in her chest. No, no, no, she couldn't laugh at him...she couldn't...she had to be nice...she had to be--!

"Pffffwhaaat?!" Niamh burst out abruptly, finally unable to hold it in any longer. For the first time since knowing Nexus, she burst out into uncontrollable laughter. Not just the little chuckles like before, but real uncontained laughter, arms wrapped around her stomach and tears gathering at the corners of her eyes, shoulders shaking, and she'd very nearly toppled right off the log. She didn't even know why it was so funny, really, but it just...was!

Oh Light, she probably shouldn't be laughing at him about it, either, but she couldn't help it and for once it just felt good, like a weight had finally been lifted. Everything for the past few days had been frightening and stressful and she'd found herself completely wound up into a tight ball of nerves, so this...well, it just felt nice! And besides...Nexus! A tailor! Psychotic Nexus who had tied her up and done such horrible things, and...and...TAILOR! He wanted to make CLOTHES! And he looked actually embarrassed about it, too. Maybe that was what made it so funny. The way he'd mumbled it and looked away, like it was an awkward topic for him, like he hadn't wanted her to hear any of it. Oh man, no...she was not going to let him live this one down <I>ever!

"A...a tailor! Ahaha, Light Nexus, that's...that's...just...eheh...ow...ow..." She struggled to rein in her mirth, reaching up to wipe at her eyes and gasping for breath, her sides kind of sore now. "Heh...I'm...I'm sorry, Nexus, I'm not laughing at you, I just...that's...no, really, that's just great! I mean...a tailor...hehe...it's a good profession! Really! You...you'd be good at that...eheh...designing clothes...and...oh Goddess, I'm sorry!" she finished lamely, finally just biting down on a knuckle in an attempt to shut up, though that didn't help much. She was still snickering at him.

A tailor...

Heheh...

Goddess.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Nexus wasn't innocent since he was about eighteen or so. He was actually sort of proud of his debauchery that he had incurred in his life. It was really nice to know that he still could make poor Niamh blush like a tomato. It was really cute how she looked, and he couldn't believe how easy it was for that matter. Eventually she'd become to immune to his little comments no doubt, so he would have to live this up.

"Are you sure because I can take them all off with the snap of a finger. Hm, I could take yours off with the snap of a finger." He rubbed his chin absently as he thought about it, grinning slightly and then chuckling at her with mirth. Ah, this was just too fun wasn't it?

"Are you sure about that Niamh?" He replied carefully, his eyebrow raised slightly. This sounded like a challenge to him actually, and he LOVED challenges after all. Hm, now just how would he get her to do tricks...and for that matter...what tricks COULD he get her to do. Probably shouldn't go too taboo. Yes, best to be tame about it all, instead of...well...you know the usual debauchery that he dealt with. He didn't want Niamh burning up with redness after all. Though he did idly wonder if that blush travelled across her entire body. He could always CHECK after all, his eyes did have that power...Nah. Best to just...imagine. Yeah. Late at night probably when no one was around. Ahem.

He did enjoy talking about the Gods of his world. They were interesting to talk about, and people found them just as strange for that matter. Yes though, Nexus was homesick for his world, there was no surprise about that though. It was just like his pain and pleasure thing. He loved Heiroth, but if he went back, things would be bad. So he would have to stay here and just live in the nostalgia.

"I got you out of the town alive and unharmed, I think I'm doing a pertty good job so far." He was also quite proud that she didn't manage to flinch or shied away from him. Still he could jsut smell how nervous she was. That was alright though, she had a reason to be pretty nervous about him being so...close. He didn't know why, but he loved invading personal space.

Oh yeah, she was going to laugh. He knew it. His arms crossed over his chest as he watched her carefully, his eyes glaring slightly. Nexus's foot was tapping as he waited for her to start laughing, he could hear it...he knew what she was going to do...She was going to laugh at him, he could see it though.

Yeah, there it was. He sighed as he shook his head. Maybe he should just...keep his damn mouth shut shouldn't he? Yeah, now he regretted talking, and letting her go. Well, at least during their little escapade in the warehouse, she had truly feared him then. Now...now he was sure she wouldn't ever fear him. Ugh. That wasn't a very calming thought to him. He liked to be feared....but with Niamh....Argh he wasn't sure anymore. He felt rejected and hurt whenever he went near her, because she always flinched away from him. Always was afraid of his touch. They were friends after all....

"Yeah it's REAL hilarious Niamh." He muttered as he looked away from the woman, toward the dead fire. Was it really that strange? After all...he could make clothes easily, and his nickname WAS the Thread Master after all. It seemed a little obvious what he would be good at...It might have been a little odd yes but...she shouldn't be laughing THIS hard about it. He was pretty sure that she was going to break a rib laughing so hard...

"Like hell you're not laughing at me." He didn't have to put up with this did he? She had just prodded the sleeping bear, and Vec knows he wanted to take his anger out on her right now. Just slap that little grin off her face and cut the laughter. However, that was NOT an option. It never would be a choice for him. No. Instead he just tried to focus himself on something else. Something that wasn't as...embarrassing. Nexus didn't know what to do about the still snickering woman beside him. So he just brooded at this point, trying to think up some petty revenge schemes. Anything. Anything at all to get back at her.

"At least I've some useful skills." He shot a look toward her before his face faltered for a moment. Alright...that had been too far. He realized it the moment he had spoke too.

"I...I didn't mean that. I'm sorry." It was a rushed apology, and Nexus was on his feet, stepping over the cold firepit now to the opposite side of their little camp. Whether it had offended her or not, he didn't know, but he shouldn't have said it. Hell. Maybe he should cut his tongue out to stop him from talking...Ugh. He wished he wasn't here right now. Maybe on a beach relaxing, dozing lightly, instead of being chased by a fanatical gang trying to get back a priestess he had shown the light to...Was Nexus feeling guilty? Was that possible? He really couldn't tell...but it felt like...it felt like that he wasn't himself.

He was being affected...Something was affecting him, making him feel strange...different...like...

"Show yourself!" Nexus yelled as a whip of silver and electric blue formed in his hand. His eyes were scanning all about, the weapon held tight as he looked about. Nexus rarely felt such strong guilt, something was making him feel this way. He idly wondered if Niamh could feel the emotion as well. Nexus couldn't see anyone near them but he could feel it, a strange and powerful presence, one that seemed to resonate in his very soul.

"No need to become hostile Savaros. I was never your enemy." Nexus felt a wave of relief pour over him as this strange voice reached his ears. That strange presence had become calming and soothing to him, and for that matter...brought a sense of familiarity to mind. The whip in his hand slipped from his grip, falling to the leaf covered ground with a small thump.

From behind a tree stepped a peculiar looking man. Just a few inches taller than Niamh, if anything he looked like a Solsi. His strange garb of downy white and golden hue shone brightly even in the dim light that was the forest shade. His hair a golden blonde fell in silky waves in front of his forehead and eyes, or lack there of. Instead a silken blindfold had been carefully wrapped around his face, covering his sight from the world. Soft pink lips were turned into a most serene smile as he stood where he was, looking between the two of them, his bind folded gaze easy to follow.

He seemed to make little noise as he crossed the forest floor, stepping over the fallen tree carefully, not to dirty his clothes any. As if that looked possible even, for his clothes were spotless somehow. Nexus had what could only be described as the most shocked look upon his face, stunned even.

"V-Vec...!" Nexus fell to his knees, his head bowed and hands clasped in front of him. The young looking man just gaze a small chuckle as he put a hand on Nexus's shoulder, lifting him back to his feet with surprising ease.

"Hello Childe. I am most pleased to see you too." Nexus had a smile on his face as he looked to Niamh for a moment.

"Niamh...this is Vec...the God of Nothing." Vec turned his sights upon the young woman and nodded to her, a rather pleased look on his face. There was something about this odd almost glowing like man.

"Immortal of Nothing now. I  have relinquished my Godliness so I might come to this realm and visit." Vec spoke in a voice that seemed warm and friendly, obviously a charismatic man of sorts it seemed hard to fear or hate this strange God or...immortal as it were. Nexus wondered just how Niamh would handle meeting a former God as it were.

Rhindeer

"...Huh...?"

Niamh knew the look on her face must be pretty comical as she looked up at Nexus in a mixture of horror and disbelief, an odd, small smile on her face. The sort of smile you tended to wear when you'd just been told something that was so beyond your realm of comprehension that you didn't even know how you wanted to react because your brain was still processing it all. Had he just...had he seriously just said what she thought he'd said? Yes. Why yes he had. In fact, he even looked like he was contemplating it with the way he was grinning, chuckling, and rubbing his chin. Well, if there was one thing she'd learned about him, it was that he was completely unpredictable and she often couldn't tell when he was being serious or just kidding around. To be on the safe side, she'd started to just assume everything was literal.

Snap...of a finger...? Clothes removed...?

And then, just like that, everything registered and, much to her dismay, she only blushed harder. Waitaminute! If he could...uh...if he could create cloth and make the stuff he created vanish...and if she was wearing the clothing he had created for her...

Oh HELL no!

Her body went rigid and she shook her head vigorously. "Ack! No Nexus! I'm really, really sure!" she said hurriedly, her voice a bit strained--all while busily scooting a good foot or so away from him on that log, suddenly feeling really uncomfortable. Could he really do something like that? And more importantly...would he? All the same, she also had to mentally curse her damned blushing; she could feel the heat spreading down her neck, and it just made this whole thing even more embarrassing somehow. Guh! How did he manage to keep turning this around onto her?

"So, yeah. Let's just be...leaving all our clothes on. Okay? Besides, we had a deal about your...uh...urges," she said, glancing over at him warily and crossing her legs and arms protectively. She really wanted to ask if he could actually make her clothes vanish, just so she could be more on her guard depending on his answer, but...she decided it was best not to. He might want to demonstrate it.

After all that, when he asked her if she was sure about the other issue--the tricks one--she actually wasn't so sure then. The look he was giving her...er...it made her stop and think about it. Well, yeah, she was sure actually. But that look meant trouble so now she wasn't sure after all. At least, she wasn't sure of how she should answer. She bit her lip, but after a second she stubbornly decided to stand her ground. Lewd comments throwing her off guard or not, it was all still something of a power struggle to her--probably because he'd made her feel so powerless in the warehouse and her pride still stung--so she finally just gave as nonchalant a shrug as she could. "I  wouldn't have said it if I wasn't sure."

Never mind that she'd run her mouth over their whole grappling thing and had only ended up losing, when she'd been so "sure". Ahem.

In any case, the fact that Nexus looked so disgruntled while she laughed only made it all that much more amusing, and while some strange part of her wished he could also see the humor in it and share a chuckle about it, a much larger part of her was just getting a kick out of how grumpy and moody he looked. It was like...well, it was kind of like revenge. He'd been so intent on "taming" her in that warehouse and making her a "slave", and here she was laughing at him while he looked all pouty about it, even looking away from her. It was really kind of sweet! And also a bit surprising. He'd seemed so tough and scary before, but ever since then...well, she'd been exposed to another side of him. A much more human side that...was pretty nice. He was still all tough, but no, no he sure wasn't scary anymore. Maybe a bit, uh, scandalous, but...

"Ahaha, sorry, sorry, it is...eheh...it is pretty funny, c'mon..." Niamh panted, still covering her mouth to uselessly muffle her snickers and any other giggles that might surface. And then, before she could help it, she just had to answer his little moody comment. It sounded a bit familiar. "Hell has many forms, Nexus!" she murmured under her breath, echoing something he'd said to her on their first meeting.

This was all so oddly ironic and great. Maybe it was mean, but he'd had so much fun at her expense, so why shouldn't it be the other way around for once?

Unfortunately for her, that wouldn't be the case for much longer. Her mirth had finally started to wind down, but it was Nexus' sudden comment that cut it off short. Her body gave a violent jerk and she grimaced, the humor leaving her, and for all that she reacted it was very much like she had been slapped. Only in this case, it was a verbal one, but it stung just as much. Probably even more so since it echoed some of her own thoughts, but it was even more painful to be actually told that you were useless. More or less. Hurt even more when you were told that by someone you were trying hard to prove yourself to, and much as she hated to admit it...that was the case here.

For once, she had no real words to respond to Nexus with. She was always so mouthy, even in the warehouse, but now...now she didn't look angry or scared. She just looked hurt, looking over at him silently, face tight and brows drawn together. It was one thing to exchange physical blows, those she could handle, but there was really no defense against words.

Even as she heard his apology, she didn't respond or even move, just looked down toward the ground as he got up and moved away, not even looking up to see where he'd gone. He'd actually apologized for once, and right after not long before she'd been wishing he would apologize. But it had still cut deep and she kind of wondered if he really didn't mean that or if he was just saying he didn't because he hadn't meant to let the words slip. Ugh. Her jaw tightened. Why should this even matter to her? His opinion shouldn't matter to her...so...why the hell did it?

Finally, frustration and anger began to mingle with the hurt, but fortunately, she wouldn't have much longer to brood about it. Nexus' sudden shout made her jump, and when she saw the whip in his hand and registered what he had said, she lurched to her feet and drew her dagger quickly. The Lumenari? Crap, they just couldn't get a freaking break, could they? But wouldn't Nexus have known? Still, the blade of her dagger began to faintly glow as she looked around the area, tense but ready for what may come...at least until a voice answered Nexus.

And a man followed.

Niamh's mouth went dry as she took him in, the word "Solisi!" leaping to mind, and she quickly jerked her attention back over to Nexus, looking back and forth between the two uncertainly. He looked...like a Solisi. Goddess, but he even dressed like one! Kind of. The leader of the Lumenari band she'd been with had dressed in gold and white and a lot of high ranking Solisi did, like priests and soldiers, and he was radiating light, practically glowing. How would Nexus know a Solisi? Well, aside from her. Had he known any before her? But...but...it made no sense! Maybe he liked going after Solisi? Yet...he couldn't be a Solisi. Something felt strange about him. She felt something with him, something she never felt around anyone else...

And besides, Nexus seemed to not only know him, but...be subordinate to him? In fact, he even fell to his knees before him. WHAT?! Yeah! That was no Solisi! And Nexus? Kneeling to someone? Huh? Much less, kneeling to a man much shorter than him that had no problem hauling him back up to his feet?

What...

She took a step backwards without realizing it as she watched the two interact, clearly on good terms with one another. And Nexus actually looked happy. That...was really confusing. And a bit scary, actually. What kind of person must that be if someone like Nexus would kneel to him?

"Whoa, what?" She hadn't been paying too much attention to everything that had been said, too focused on working the mytery out in her head, but when Nexus spoke to her and introduced them...

That...was a God?

That was a God. Nexus' God?

Niamh blinked a few times, just looking blankly at the two. Then she tilted her head slowly, one eyebrow arched, brow furrowed, and shifted her weight from one leg to the next. The dagger in her hand had stopped glowing, and she slowly sheathed it and cleared her throat. She looked suddenly very lost and yet very oddly amused, and felt it for that matter, but she somehow managed a small smile and a weak, half-hearted wave. "Um. Hi, Vec. Eh heh. Ah, Nexus? Can you...can you repeat what you just said...?" she asked slowly, not taking her eyes off of Vec. "I...heh. I thought you just said he was a God. Heh heh. Stop messing around..."

She gave a quiet laugh, her voice very low, and shoved her hands into her pockets, but when Vec spoke...and only confirmed what Nexus had said...only adding that he'd relinquished his Godliness and...was now an immortal and not a God? Of Nothing, too. Oh Goddess. Oh Goddess...she pursed her lips, and then promptly slapped both hands over her mouth and spun around on her heel, turning her back to them both.

Because she was laughing again, and hard.

And that...well, that she knew was terribly rude and inappropriate. But Light, she couldn't help it! That had to be the most inappropriate reaction she'd had to something yet. But she couldn't help it. It was just so freaking insane that it was hilarious! How many times did you meet someone claiming to be a God? It was crazy! And he looked human, not like a God! Yet still, that Nexus was kneeling to him proved that he had power at least, but...were these the sorts of Gods heathens worshipped? It was kind of sad--wait! Why was she even reverting back to that way of thinking? She was a heretic now, after all.

But...still...Goddess...

Oh Light, help her. This was all so wrong. And she couldn't stop laughing for some reason, which was kind of scary, too, because she didn't want to get on either of their bad sides, but...she couldn't stop! But she also knew that part of that reason she was laughing was because she was nervous and...she just didn't even know anymore. The idea of other Gods or, hell, of even meeting one was actually rather terrifying. She just...she just didn't even know anymore. Maybe she was the one going nuts.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Oh Nexus was always thinking about new ways to get her to blush, and new ways to embarrass her for that matter. Would he figure the reason now as to why? No, probably not. She should probably just be very careful because he had the power, and he had the audacity to do something so cruel to her. Even if she hadn't been wearing the clothes he made, he still could manipulate the threads of her clothes. However, it seemed that everything dawned on the poor girl very quickly, and he was proud. Things just seemed to...click into place, didn't they? She scooted away even, which hurt just as much as her flinching.

"Aw, a shame." He sighed wistfully and dramatically, pressing the back of his wrist to his forehead in a display of overacting for sure. Damn though, that blush of hers was something else. Like her entire body was just heating up because of it. He'd have to remember that if he ever got chilly then.

"I know, and I curse my tongue every hour for making such a deal." He winked at her when he spoke, knowing further blushing could be quite entertaining. Hm, he even thought about new ways to make her blush. This was a game to Nexus at this point, since she couldn't make him blush, he would be the winner in the end then wouldn't he?

"I do hope you know where you're getting your next meal from then poppet." Nexus always tried to have the upper hand in most situations. He was the dominant male after all, the old wolf that led the pack usually, or the lion that watched over the entire pride. Nexus was angered yes, by the fact that Niamh wasn't so scared of him anymore, that he didn't have the power to make her obey him all that much. The warehouse he had the power, but here, as friends, he didn't have much to his name anymore. That's one thing he didn't like about being out and free anymore...there was nothing for him here. Well. There was the fact that he had a friend, an honest to god friend who wanted to share her time with him. That was better than the warehouse.

Nexus knew the moment the words left his mouth, there was going to be trouble. Of all the things he could have said to Niamh, it had to be something as bad as that. That was it wasn't it? She wouldn't forgive him, she would leave, and he would be here alone now, without a friend, and without a companion. No! She couldn't leave HIM. He told her he would follow her, and find her. Yeah. She couldn't leave, because she was in so much trouble as it was.

Vec was always mistaken for something else. The young girl that Nexus was with seemed to have thought he wasn't a friend of sorts. Must be something to do with that nearby town that was all in an uproar, and the camp that had been disbanding. No wonder those people were so adamant about him 'getting back to the camp' then. They had mistaken him for one of their own. It had taken a few minutes but Vec had been able to explain to the men that he wasn't part of their organization. He could have sworn he heard one mutter something about being a heathen impostor. Luckily it took more than a few mumbled words to ruffle Vec's feathers.

"That's not to say I'm not without a great amount of power. After all, a God can reaccept his powers when needed." Vec had without a doubt found quite a number of loop holes and the like that could get the rest of the Pantheons of worlds mad at him. When you looked outside the box and viewed things differently, you saw what was needed. Vec could get his Godly powers back, he was sure of that, even in this world if he so desired. The painful thing would be doing so perhaps?

Nexus didn't like it that she was laughing directly at Vec. Yes, he had a chuckle at her Goddess's expense once in a while, but to laugh in the face of Vec, while he stood there? It should have angered him. It should have made him mad but...with Vec's presence, he couldn't bring himself to that level. He could only be...disturbed as it were by Niamh laughing. Let the God handle the laughing woman perhaps.

Vec smiled pleasantly as he looked toward Nexus, who was grimacing slightly. She was giggling at the God of Nothing, which had to mean something bad. Nexus swore that he could see a twinkle behind Vec's blindfold. Slowly the man began to speak to Nexus.

"Nexus, why not go clean yourself up. The creek isn't far from here. I would like to speak with Niamh." The God never seemed to take his blindfolded gaze off of Poor Niamh, who probably had no idea what she was getting into. Nexus contained himself as Vec pointed the way for him to go, which he quickly headed off toward.

"Now Childe, let us walk amongst the stars in the days of passing. I will show you the beginning." Vec's hands undid the blindfold and let the silken object fall away from his face. Where eyes should be there was only the purest of lights that shone brightly from them, a strange light that seemed to cut into the very depths of everything, and they were upon Niamh. At that time a great wind seemed to have picked up only around Vec. His clothes seemed to flutter and and wave without any outside source, and he seemed to shine with the intensity of a newborn star. The forest they had once been in was no longer there, instead, they were in...space. Stars burnt around them, twinkling to themselves, and behind Vec was a massive spiralling galaxy that rotated ever so slightly.

"Welcome Niamh to the beginning of your world. Beautiful isn't it? This is the galaxy your world belongs to. This is just one of...well, the number is astronomical to say the least." Vec turned his gaze upon the spiralling galaxy, a soft smile upon his face. The absolute beauty of watching the galaxy slowly spinning...there was no possible way to even comprehend the purest beauty they were looking upon. Untouched and unspoiled, felt only by the slow passage of time. It was an awe inspiring sight indeed, to see the twinkling lights of the galaxy as it swirled. Of course for the sake of argument, Vec had placed them in a state of accelerated time passage.

"Makes you feel kind of small doesn't it? Your planet is right...there I believe." Vec pointed to a portion of the galaxy, squinting slightly at it. Then he smiled. Yes. That was right. Slowly the Galaxy became larger and closer to them, they zipped through it, moving and dodging through wondrous nebulas of blue and green, past strange singularities of red and white, until they came upon a rather large ball of fire. Orbiting this sphere were 8 planets it seemed, they focused upon one in particular.

It was a green and blue planet with swirling clouds above them. A large white moon spun about the planet, dancing a cosmic dance of sorts. Vec smiled as he looked upon the planet, then focused his gaze upon Niamh.

"Such beauty...this is the beginning Niamh. This is before any sentient being truly touched your world...It is so beautiful. So pristine, defiled not by the petty wars of the sentient life." Vec had a soft tone in his voice as he smiled sadly, reaching out and almost stroking the planet. He sighed to himself quietly as he shook his head in dismay.

"No matter the land, no matter the realm, the world, the Gods...there will always be a need for Dominance. We give you ingenuity and you use it for weapons. We give you imagination and you just torture each other. We give you the power to feel and all you do is hate and envy. We impart knowledge and you abuse it on each other. We give you free will and you kill and maim each other." Vec's arms came to cross over his chest as he looked to Niamh with some dismay, his mighty head shaking.

"Niamh I want you to listen to me. Put your faith NOT in the Deities. Put your faith in those around you, put your faith in yourself, and put your faith in hope. No Deity can help you. You must decide for yourself what is right and what is wrong." Vec uncrossed his arm, stretching it out to lay upon Niamh's shoulder. He was trying to give to instill to her a feeling of inner peace and clarity, like the world would make sense.

"Don't let a voiceless Goddess push you around and will you to do things. If any Pantheon asks death of another race...the God is flawed. Oh...here is my favourite part Niamh. The sun rises." Vec's hand left her shoulder, and is it did, no doubt the feeling would leave her as well. He had turned his attention back toward the World, where indeed, the first rays of light began to rise from over the horizon of the world, breaking the darkness of the land and flooding the world with light. Just seeing it was a sight to behold, and very few would get the pleasure to see such a sight.

"Magnificent."

Rhindeer

Hoo boy. If the whole situation hadn't been so bloody embarrassing and unexpected, Niamh might have had a good laugh at Nexus' little dramatic display--which was equally unexpected and looked just...silly when he did it. Unfortunately, she was more worried at the time about the whole clothing issue, though it seemed he at least remembered his deal. Which was good! As for the food issue, though...ahem. Well. She'd just have to cross that bridge when they got there. Oi...she was not looking forward to that.

Even with her back turned and laughing as she was, she could still hear Vec's words. Ahaha. Sure he could reaccept his powers. Hah! Then why didn't he? That didn't make much sense to her. Psha. God. Yeah right. And Nexus liked to poke fun at her Goddess! Granted, the things he said did make sense and she'd reconsidered a lot of things regarding her faith and the true nature of Mother Sun, but...ugh, seriously, so much had happened in the course of a few days, and now to meet someone who was claiming to be a God and then seeing Nexus actually kneel before him on top of it all...Light, it was just one crazy turn of events after another, it seemed!

Her thoughts cut off abruptly when she caught what said Vec, however, and suddenly Niamh regretted laughing. She knew it had been a bad idea as soon as she'd started, known it had been one of the worst things she could do, but she hadn't been able to stop it; it was just one of those uncontrollable, astounded reactions. What did stop it was when Vec said the dreaded words: that he would like a word alone with her. No freaking way!

Niamh's laughter cut off abruptly with a gasp as she caught those words, and she spun back around, her expression painfully sober though her wide eyes and stiff posture probably gave her away, arms crossed over her chest. Oh...crap. Those were some words you never wanted to hear from anyone, because it tended to mean you were busted.

And then her face fell when she saw that Nexus was indeed leaving her alone with him. Ack! No! If Nexus actually obeyed this strange blindfolded guy, she didn't want to be left with him! Blanching, though it might go unnoticed to the untrained eye, she looked back and forth between the departing Nexus and Vec, looking and feeling rather trapped, and for a moment she even considered just bolting after Nexus. She didn't know Vec, after all, but...well...she also trusted Nexus, as odd as it was. Trusted him about most things at least. He wouldn't leave her with someone dangerous, right?

Er...then again, Nexus was also technically dangerous himself, so...

Unfortunately or fortunately for her, though, she didn't get a chance to make that choice. She was still frozen when Vec spoke again, and she had no time to try and understand what he was telling her when he removed his blindfold and she was enveloped in light.

At least, that's what it felt like to her as she stared at his eyes, as he shone brightly, as the wind that wasn't really wind picked up about him, as the forest vanished around them and was replaced by inky blackness and stars twinkled around them. She should have been freaking out at that point, should have been staring in horror or...something, and even in the back of her mind she knew she should have. Yet she just stood immobile, eyes locked on Vec's, lost in the strangest of sensations. She knew something was terribly wrong right now and yet...she could feel nothing but peace, calm, and...guilt. Niamh found herself wanting to look away in shame, yet she couldn't, and part of that was because she didn't want to. As much as she wanted to close her eyes and avoid his gaze, which felt like it could see everything, as much as she wanted to hide, at the same time she just couldn't.

Because even with all of this, she couldn't feel afraid. It was odd. Like nothing before this point in time mattered, like all her fears and worries were gone as his gaze pierced her.

At least, that was the case until he turned away from her to look at the galaxy behind them, breaking eye contact. The feeling faded as well, and--beginning of her world?!

Was he...was he serious...?

Niamh pretty much stopped breathing as Vec explained it all, as he pointed out where her planet was, as she took it all in and came to terms with the fact that there was so much out there. That everything looked so small, if breath-taking. She gasped finally when everything started to move and they were suddenly zipping through space, and it was probably only that lingering feeling of calm and peace that kept her from panicking during it all. When they finally stopped before the eight planets orbiting around Mother Sun, she didn't even recognize it at first. Of course, her people had very little knowledge in the way of astronomy so of course she wouldn't know what they were looking at.

Not until Vec pointed it out, that is.

He was really showing her the beginning...Light...it was right then, at that moment as she stared upon her planet and recalled what it had felt like when he'd looked at her...it was then that she knew he wasn't lying.

It was such a frightening realization. All of this was. As he spoke to her about wars and the need for dominance, as she stared upon the Earth in its untainted state, it felt like he knew exactly what she'd done and she had the feeling that he really had seen inside her soul. He knew. He knew what she'd done. The killing, the torturing, the hatred...Goddess...it was all wrong. Niamh swallowed hard as Vec looked back to her and shook his head, and she could feel it all again--she could feel just how wrong she had been, how wrong she was...and yet it was okay...somehow it was okay...

A real God would forgive its children for sinning...isn't that what Nexus had told her?

Oh Goddess help her...he was real...

When Vec placed his hand on her shoulder, oddly enough she didn't jolt or anything though she was eating up every word. The idea of putting your faith not in a deity but in yourself and others was a foreign concept to her, but at that moment, and as his hand rested on her shoulder, it made perfect sense. Even the part about a God never asking one to kill another. Nexus had said the same thing to her before. She could remember that. A true deity didn't need mortals to carry out their work for them.

And then his hand left her, and she once again felt alone, even as she looked toward the fiery orb that all the other planets circled. Oh Goddess...Mother Sun...that was Mother Sun.

"It...it is beautiful...more than beautiful..." Niamh admitted after a long pause in a breathy whisper, throat tight with building emotion and eyes locked onto the sight before her. Mother Sun...she could actually see Her rise for the first time, way out beyond Her, see the first rays of Her light shine upon the Earth. It was amazing, a sight beyond words or even comprehension, a scene that would be burned in her memory for the rest of her life. But even as she watched the scene before her began to blur and waver, and then she felt the stinging in her eyes and the wet warmth upon her cheeks. Mother Sun and the false idol, the moon.

It wasn't...it wasn't supposed to be like this...it wasn't supposed to look like this...the moon looked like nothing more than a rock, and the Earth spun mindlessly around Mother Sun instead of Mother Sun rising over the Earth. Everything suddenly seemed so different. Small. Insignificant. Even Mother Sun...immobile...lifeless...their creator, the one who had created everything, yet She was so small...and Vec had said their solar system was just one of many. She didn't understand what that meant, really, but...

Nothing was like it was supposed to be...and everything suddenly felt wrong.

Niamh finally had to close her eyes and turn away, bowing her head, but she made no effort to try and hide her tears like she normally would. It wouldn't matter. It was true. Vec...Vec was a God. He'd know anyway. He really was a God. Or had been a God. It all made sense now, because how else would he be able to show her something like this, and how else would he be able to say the things he had, knowing about her Goddess, knowing about...about the things she had done. And she...oh Light...she was so wrong...

"I...I really have been so damned blind...haven't I?" she whispered to herself, shivering lightly and hugging her arms around her stomach as though for protection, eyes finally opening though she was pointedly avoiding looking over at Vec. There had been calm and peace while his hand had been on her shoulder, but now she just felt sick as everything pieced itself together, as she remembered all the things she had done for her Goddess. A Goddess that now might not even exist. A Goddess she had followed without even thinking, just because she had accepted it was right and true, because it was how she was brought up and all she knew, all she truly believed.

"There really is no Goddess, is there?" Even as she said it, she was hoping he would say her Goddess existed. Hoping for a heathen God to validate her Goddess for her. "It's...Light, it's all wrong...I can't believe this...I can't...I...oh Light...you're right..."

They were both right. Nexus that is. He had said it first, and while she had accepted it somewhat, this was a bit more like being smacked over the head with the truth.

Even when he wasn't here, he was right...damn him...

Surprising even herself, she abruptly dropped to her knees before Vec then and bowed her head low, hands clasped together in her lap and eyes tightly closed, eyelashes spiked together with moisture. This was probably the most humble anyone would ever see Niamh. Not that this was the first time, as like any good Solisi she was humble before her Goddess, but it was certainly the first time she had been so in any other circumstance. She just didn't bow to people. Not to anyone but her Goddess. Not usually. But what if She wasn't real now? Vec, however, was real.

Light, she was so confused.

"Forgive me, Vec..." she murmured quietly, not knowing what else to do. It was proper to beg forgiveness from the Solisi Goddess when a sin was committed, after all, and that was all she knew, and even if Vec said he had relinquished his powers...still. It just didn't feel proper to her any other way. And the things he'd said...the things she'd remembered...

She felt guilty for it all for the first time in her life. For what she'd done, everything she'd done...Light, even for laughing at Vec.

And yet somehow she also knew she was forgiven. She didn't have to say everything that was on her mind, either. If he really was what he claimed to be, he would know, right? That was a good thing, too, because she didn't want to speak now. She didn't think she could without choking.

Anonymous

Nexus knew that his little display had been overly dramatic and rather silly for that matter but he was happy with it for that matter. Ah, this was going to be a most interesting thing wasn't it? Just a snap of his fingers and she could be nude but...of course he had made a promise. Damn that promise, nothing but a hassle for him wasn't it? When it came to food,  he wasn't sure what he would do to her. Humiliation just seemed so...bland at this point. Maybe just making her do something silly instead. Yes. That would be quite the interesting thing to do.

Why didn't Vec just automatically re-accept his powers when he arrived? Vec didn't NEED to be a God to be himself after all. He could just be himself, and believed he wouldn't need to do something as silly as being a God. After all, he hadn't really been planning on being to open about this one actually, instead he had planned to just stay low and not bother anyone too much, just surf through this place and visit some familiar faces. That didn't seem to be something that was going to happen though, as a religious group had already mistook him for a member. That had been most interesting.

Vec would never harm Niamh, after all he knew how much the woman meant to Nexus. Of course, Nexus hadn't realized this to the fullest extent...and Niamh hadn't realized just what Nexus meant to her. Ah, this would be a very interesting little prospect. Vec was a sucker for couples after all.

However, he was glad at this time Niamh realized she had done something wrong, and that she was almost sorry that Vec was here. Ah it was going to be a very nice little expedition for Niamh. After all, she needed to learn never to laugh in the face of a God. Well, not a God like Vec anyways who loved to be a bit of a show off. Well...showing off was a harsh word, Vec liked to entertain people through various means of his power. Yes, maybe just a little showing off. Just a little.

Niamh seemed very surprised that Nexus actually obeyed him. For a man who listened to almost no one after all, it must have been horrifying to see this rebel of a man suddenly listen to someone like Vec. Vec was pretty sure that Niamh looked just slightly...pale...more pale if possible. It was hard to tell with the strange woman and her very light skin. Hm, that might explain a few things about Nexus though wouldn't it? Heh heh, he could get to that later then couldn't he?

If there was one thing that Vec truly enjoyed was to  stay in space and just watch the beauty of it all. The things that one could see out in space were truly amazing and it made him even feel small by the majesty that was out there in the endless void. Ah though, that's one thing that happened to everyone. They got locked on his eyes, such a distraction they were for him. He could barely take the blindfold off, and that didn't matter much to him because well...the silk of his blindfold was comfortable and soft to say the least. Ah, the guilt seemed to be setting in with the poor girl, a cruel reminder of her past times perhaps. It was just too bad his eyes were enigmas on their own, you could feel peace and yet you would feel the guilt. Ah...guilt was a powerful thing to have on your side. Everyone could feel guilty, perhaps not normally but...a lot of people could be enticed to feel guilt.

Fear was never common when Vec was around, no one could truly fear when he was here. Well, they could fear him but after a while they wouldn't fear him for very long.

Vec was always serious, though he had this mirth to him that made you wonder often enough. Vec of course was an enigma of sorts, you could never truly guess him and get him, you only had to accept him for what and who he was. He did so love the unspoiled beauty of it all, and just because of the power that one could command out here.

Of course, Vec could see the soul, and as such, he could hear the laments of the soul. Ah, it was such a strange sound, and it never lied either. He could hear what it told him, what the body and the mind had done despite the soul. Each death was another mark, each thought of hatred another scar, each pang of jealously was but another scratch.

Vec could almost hear things click within her mind, things were finally starting to make sense, and then things went wrong perhaps? He couldn't say for sure just what was going on in her mind though, but he was keeping an eye on what was happening to her. She was going through an entire mental break down as it were. Things were confusing her, and things seemed all too real for her and she started talking at this point. This was a good thing perhaps.

"Not so much blind Niamh, but misguided I believe." Vec told her quietly as he kept his gaze and hands to himself. He couldn't let things go at this point for her, she would have to get rid of her guilt herself, and with it, get rid of her problems. With a simple touch and a look her way he could make her feel all better, but for now, that wasn't going to be an option. No things would have to go her way at this time, not how he wanted.

"There could be, but I tell you this...it is not the sun that is a Goddess." He whispered quietly to her as the sun finally rose and broke properly, the fiery ball of light flooding the surface of the earth with its giving power. He blinked however as he looked over at her sharply, with what she had just said.

"I will not do that Niamh. You have to forgive yourself." Slowly the world around them began to return, began to form again, and they were on the planet again, in the exact spot they had left in. He smiled at her though as he slowly pulled his blindfold around his eyes and tied a small knot at the back. Slowly his hands went to Niamh's shoulders, slowly lowering the girl to the fallen log to sit her down.

"Now Niamh, you seem like an adorable child, so now, dry those tears of yours." Vec had suddenly in his hand a small handkerchief in his hand and was wiping underneath her eyes like a protective parent. He was a God after all, and did like to help people out the best he could. He couldn't forgive a sin, but he could console them until they forgave themselves. That was the most important thing.

"You can talk now Niamh, I am quite up for talking. After all, I would dearly like to know why it is that you are travelling with Nexus. Even for me it seems confusing, his habits are...very questionable and you seem much too innocent for his regular tastes." That is to say, she was too innocent to be travelling with Nexus without there being some rather interesting back story. The poor girl though, Vec could see a very interesting turn of events that would happen soon, and yet he would not change them. No, he didn't often interfere with the events that would happen in the future even if he could see them clearly.

"So, do you believe you are up for telling a story to me, or do you perhaps wish to cry a little more? I have been informed by many people that my shoulder is quite soft and comfortable." Vec was still smiling calmly at her, holding the handkerchief in one hand just in case she started to cry a little bit. That's all Vec wanted to do though, was to help people, and though Niamh might not realize what his little display of power had done right away, he knew that in time, even as little as a few days, she would come to realize just how he had helped her then as well.

Ah, he always loved a happy ending, and this would be no exception either. Though Nexus and Niamh couldn't see the future, or understand what was happening around them, Vec knew that things would become most interesting for the two. Ah. It was going to be nice.

Rhindeer

She knew it. It was so bloody obvious now as she knelt before Vec, eyes averted to catch glimspes of the day breaking over the Earth out of the corner of her eye...such a strange thing to witness, yet she still felt that odd sense of calm, if sadness was mixed in with it. The sun wasn't a Goddess...how could it be? How could something so mindless, that just remained motionless like that, be a Goddess? Something so small and insignificant in the big picture, like...like a firefly hovering above the ocean at night. Niamh shuddered still. It still changed everything. Her whole faith, everything about it, it was just all wrong and everyone was really just worshipping something that didn't even care one way or the next. Oh Light. So the Living Sun in Solis really was just a mortal. It was just how Nexus said. He'd said that all along, and while she'd started to see his point...she still hadn't wanted to believe that it was all false...

Maybe it was a good thing Nexus had at least prepared her in advance. She'd already gotten some of the mourning out of the way and...this didn't hurt nearly as much as it could have. At least not now. Maybe she was still just in shock.

Vec's words then sent a chill racing down her spine and for a moment she felt sick, her muscles tensing, almost like a flinch. He wouldn't forgive her? Well, if that wasn't a slap in the face, she didn't know what was. Luckily that feeling only lasted for hardly a second, though, because that was when he said something she wasn't expecting.

He couldn't because she had to forgive herself...

That was the first time she'd ever heard something like that, and she snapped her attention back up to him, her tears no longer falling. She just had to forgive herself. That was it? Nobody else had to but her. That...was it. Such a surprisingly simple thing, yet at the same time she realized it probably only sounded easy. Her next shock, however, came when the galaxy around them started to vanish and the forest began to reappear, and with a small gasp of surprise she scrambled back to her feet, just as the forest finally solidified completely in her view.

That was so weird...they hadn't really gone anywhere...

"Oh!" She gave an involuntary jolt when Vec's hands found her shoulders, so caught up in just absorbing what she'd just experienced that it just took her off guard, but she relaxed again soon after and let him sit her down on the log. She didn't need to be told twice! Her legs felt shaky enough as it was, so she just sort of plopped down onto, hands on either side of her and lightly gripping at the log. She blinked a few times, looking up into Vec's now blindfolded face, and she surprised even herself by giving a small, dry laugh as he dabbed at her tears, then sniffled, though she was no longer actually crying. Oh man...heh...he was just like her mother...

Ah, yeah...three weeks ago and she would have balked at being called a child, never mind an adorable one. She had gotten mad at Nexus when he'd called her "kiddo". But...wasn't it the truth? Nothing made you feel younger and more inexperienced, insignificant even, than an actual God--or former God--and a guy over a thousand years old. Adorable...well...she offered up a wry smile at Vec. She wasn't going to argue this time.

"Tha...thanks..." Niamh said after a time, and reached up herself to wipe at her eyes, willing them not to cloud up again, before giving a hoarse laugh. "Questionable? I really think that's an understatement..." And as for his tastes...she wasn't so sure she wanted to know what that meant.

But what Vec was asking was interesting and not a chance she wanted to pass up. Light, finally. She didn't even know the man, but something about him made her feel like she could confide in him. And after all the craziness that had occurred, she really, really wanted to just be able to finally tell her story to someone, what she'd gone through. She hadn't even told her Lumenari friends about the first time--not the whole story, that is, as all she'd told them was that some crazy heathen tried to rough her up. She hadn't wanted to say more and give anything away. So much had happened, though, and...there was still so much she was trying to sort out. Finally saying it all out loud might help her better understand it, and since Vec obviously knew Nexus, he might be able to understand it better.

So much to figure out...then there was the Goddess stuff...ugh, no, she didn't want to tough that yet. She just...one thing at a time...

Taking a deep breath, Niamh lifted her shoulders in a quick shrug. "Thank you, Vec, but...I think I'm alright to talk. I'm tired of crying, I've done too much of it lately." Hopefully she didn't while retelling everything. Ugh. "Light...you don't know how much I've been wanting to tell someone about all this. I...um...hope you don't mind...it's kind of long, but...it's been an interesting journey, to say the least. Ahem..."

Another deep breath, and she wasted no time getting started, absently picking at the bark on the log as she spoke, just needing something to do. "Alright...so...I met Nexus for the first time three weeks ago. I'd gotten kinda lost, separated from my group, and I ended up bumping into him in town. It...didn't go so well. Looking back...part of that was probably my fault."

Then she shook her head, grimacing, obviously thinking better of that statement. "But that was no excuse! I mean, I was rude, but he was rude, too! And he insulted my religion. And then he just creeped me out. Like he seemed far too interested in the fact that I was alone, stuff like that, and he just wouldn't leave me alone or take a hint. Then on top of it all he insisted on staying in the same inn and invited me to breakfast come morning. Well, more like told me I'd go to breakfast with him. I thought 'no way' and tried to give him the slip in the morning, but...he anticipated that and, ah...caught me. I probably just should have just had the damned breakfast with him..."

Niamh shifted a bit uncomfortably and crossed one leg over the other, ankle propped atop the knee. Yeah, everything was still etched very vividly into her memory, and why wouldn't it be? That whole thing had scared the ever living hell out of her, though of course not nearly as much as its continuation. "Anyway, yeah, he…literally lassoed me. Tied me up, dragged me around, threatened me, and at one point choked me. And then...he just let me go, unharmed. Just like that. Untied me, gave me back my weapon, and walked away." She blinked at that and rubbed at the bridge of her nose, still way too confused about that first encounter. She still didn't know why he'd let her go, and he'd never told her his reasons behind it. Her only guess was it was some weird cat and mouse thing.

"I was reunited with my friends shortly after that and I thought that was the last I'd ever see of him, but...haha, nope. Three weeks later and I literally ran into him in that town back there. So of course I tried to get away, but...he caught me again, tied me up again, only this time he took me to a warehouse and..." A shudder coursed through her and she was staring very intently down at her hands, fidgeting with them to hide their slight shaking.  

"Well, at first I thought it was gonna be like the last time. That he was just gonna try and scare me, maybe rough me up a bit, even if he was taking it way further and his threats were even more…well…you know. They scared me. But I don’t think it actually sank in until he tied me between some pillars and…he made me call him master, cut some of my hair, and…then he cut me. Put his initials in me. Then whipped me. Said he was just doing all that for...just because. Um…but he stopped after three lashes…I said something that got him to stop, but I don’t remember what, just that he stopped. I was pretty much just trying anything, you know? I really thought he was gonna try and kill or rape me...or just torture me, which he already was. But...he never did anything else after that. We kinda...talked...and he told me about his past and I told him about mine...and...he just got calmer and actually nice." And it still confused the hell out of her!

"Er...then...after that...things just got better. He healed me, he started untying me little by little and...he seemed like he felt bad about everything...and...well...I guess I understand some of where he's coming from now. 'Cause it's kind of like me. Kind of. But to make a long story short because I'm already talking your ear off I think, I just...he's surprised me. He did those things to me, made my life hell, but then he started helping me too. And...it's like...it's like he's two different people." She paused for a moment, trying to think of how best to explain it.

"I mean...there was the person I met three weeks ago and in that warehouse, the one that was a complete bastard who made me honestly fear for my life. But then there's him. The guy that's playful and makes me clothes and breakfast and saves me from my own people and promises to keep me safe and lets me cry on his shoulder and wrestle him and I'm not afraid of wrestling him because I know he won't really hurt me and I feel comfortable around him. Whew. That was...a really long sentence. But anyway, then I'm still afraid, too...because of what that 'other person' did...and that it'll just happen again, maybe be even worse next time. And I wanna trust him, he's proved himself, but...I don't know if I can. Ugh! I make no sense." With a suddenly frustrated groan, she thumped one fist against the side of the log, then winced and rubbed her hand, finally looking up at Vec.

And then she blushed lightly.

"Er...so...yeah...uh. Well. I think I kinda did more than answer your question...I went off on a tangent. Sorry if I killed your ear..." she said quietly, coughing. Yeah. That had turned into more of a rant toward the end, there.

Anonymous

A wayward child in the dead of night, surrounded by darkness, but filled with light. Oh the cruel lashings of fate, each like a thread in a spiders web. Her path broken and cut, only to follow another line now. Yes, that sounded about right to him. Vec often had little cryptic thoughts about the future, and this one had played quite nicely in his mind. However odd it was to have foresight in another realm about a child that wasn't of his own creation, that was the oddest part of it all. Of course, Niamh's vision had been a part of Nexus's vision, so it only made sense. The two were at least interconnected in a way. Of course, what would come soon enough would be quite the interesting experience, for no true end was in sight. Many possibilities arose, but no end was going to be the correct end.

Vec wasn't very fond of people asking forgiveness of him. It didn't work that way. Vec could say he forgave them till the end of time, but that was no absolution. They had to look within themselves, and they had to forgive themselves. Maybe that's how Nexus had survived, after all, Vec had passed those words onto the man before he left Heiroth.

It was easier said than done for most people. YOu would think complete absolution would be easy but it was quite complex and difficult. Vec knew that she could do it though, that she would do it, and for her, it would be like this great weight simply lifted from her shoulders. He would be happy to see her finally cleanse herself of all those sins.

Heh, they had gone somewhere, just Vec was kind enough to return them to the right place afterwards.

Vec was often accused of being a parental figure, and he didn't fight those accusations. He looked out for all creatures, making sure that they were taken care of. Sometimes of course, he had to do this on a personal level, like with Niamh. What she needed was a pillar at the moment, someone to lean on and get her woes out of the way. While she could not have her mother here, she could have instead Vec. A rather nice trade off really, it wasn't every day that one got to have a God lend them an ear to listen to their troubles.

"It is the only word I believe in the common tongue to suit the purpose at the moment." After all, Nexus had his good and bad side to him. The only problem was, some of his motivations and the like were just a little...questionable. Yes, that would be the only word to suit Nexus at the moment, until he could find a better one of course. However, he was pretty sure that wouldn't be one.

Vec knew poor Niamh's plight to some degree, well, he could surmise most of it from this point. After all, she was hanging around Nexus, and had been a rather 'holy person' in her religion. That of course was all changed now thanks to Nexus. Ah. Nexus was the pivitol character in this story. She had so much to say no doubt, all bottled up, all her worries and pain within her, just needed to break forth like a river being held by a dam. Vec was quite eager to hear the story however, as it was always good to know the full truth instead of just what you believed to know. It would be quite...interesting to hear her side of the story. He was interested though in Nexus's side of the story.

"I love a long story Niamh, they are my favourite. Please, by all means." Vec got comfortable so to speak, shifted slightly on the log, crossed one leg over the other, and began to listen. Time to committ this little story to memory perhaps? It would be best to remember all this, he could get Ler the Bard to perhaps create a nice little tune of it all. Yes. Perhaps.

Three weeks ago. So for Nexus and Niamh, it had been quite a while ago, a chance encounter if he ever heard one. He smiled however at her. Yes, the best way to get Nexus's attention was to asert dominance. After all, he was the alpha male, and if any bit of his power was challenged, he would strive to return it to himself. Being rude never really helped either, and having an over zealous position on your religion always made for a clash with Nexus. This poor girl had probably been the target of Nexus the moment he laid eyes on her. A strong willed independant woman all alone without anyone to protect her. It was like an antelope being seperated from the herd.

Of course, Nexus always was one step ahead of his prey it seemed. Though Vec hadn't given Nexus the gift of foresight, the man seemed to know behavoiral patterns quite well. Though, he idly wondered just how it would have turned out if she had just gone to breakfast with him. He probably would have left her alone. Instead she...challenged him by running. That was a horrible thing to do, because Nexus loved a challenge and a chase.

"He...let you go? Nexus let you go on his own will..." Not much surprised Vec anymore, but this...this was different. Nexus wasn't capable of mercy. When he had first been created, mercy wasn't something that had been included. However... now it was clear to Vec that Nexus was learning, evolving, understanding, and changing all on his own. Without the influence of his own realm, of his own Pantheon, he could be free to exist as he pleased. However...Vec rememebred something at that point....and he spoke up.

"I know why...I know why he did it. When Nexus was captured by the Drow woman...she dragged him through the forest kicking and screaming..." It had to have been the only reason Nexus would let her go. Literally, he had been scared of himself for being able to copy the woman who had hurt him the most. Vec understood just how much that encounter with the Drow had meant to him, it was the final straw on the camel's back, the last injustice that snapped his mind and made him into Nexus Savaros, the Agent of Justice. Deep down however it seemed that Nexus had a heart.

Vec was unsurprised by their next meeting, or by the fact that Nexus sought a revenge of sorts. All of his actions seemed to be standard at this point, whipping, branding, a lock of hair...All of her reactions at that time seemed to be of survival. Begging, pleading no doubt, things to get him annoyed. Though...Vec couldn't believe he stoped, that he actually listened and talked with her. Yes, Nexus was changing wasn't he? For the better really, yes. There was that thing, about if a wild beast meets a human just as wild, they might bond. Vec had seen many murderers of sick and twisted ideas band together with wolves that had been cast out from their own pack. Perhaps Nexus felt kinship with Niamh? At this point, Vec wasn't going to rule anything out.

"That...sounds about right. If Nexus can identify with someone, then they are his friend, which are very few really. There is something about you that just...brings out the innate good within Nexus. He tries to seem cold, uncaring, sick, and tiwsted most of the time, for that is who he usually is, but he has that private side." There would be no doubt in Vec's mind that for most of the time that Nexus seemed to be 'nice' was when no one was around but the two of them. However, the man had really seemed to become someone else while Niamh was there.

"He is battling with himself though. With what he knows. Women are evil to him, they hurt him, they twisted him, they made his life hell, and he resents them. That is not just the Drow woman's experiences talking either. It is my own daughter's fault as well. However, the other side of him is saying different about women." Nexus was always in a conflict with himself, trying to battle his demons as best he could. It would be a hard road for Nexus, but if anyone could handle it, the strange man with the hangman eyes could.

Vec smiled at her as she apologized, his head shaking lightly as he put his hand on her knee gently. "Niamh it is fine, I enjoy listening to people talk, it is the best way to gain understanding and wisdom." He explained to her quietly, his hand leaving her knee to rest on his own. She was just a poor child stuck between a man and his demons.

"I would trust him Niamh." Vec's words were always something to take into consideration. "After all, here is a man who was bred and trained to be a complete killer, without mercy and compassion, but you come along and confuse him by stirring these emotions in him. Though it may not seem like a good reason to trust him, I assure you, he is changing." He explained to her, smiling all the while as he watched the young girl with his blindfolded gaze.

"Whenever he becomes angry toward you, it is because he does not understand you, why you stir such emotions, why he feels this way. It is all new for him, and you must be patient with him. Besides, if anyone can keep him in line, it would be you." This would be a good time to have eyes, so he might wink at her. However this was just another cryptic message to tell her. Whether she realized it or not, Nexus had feelings that ran real deep for her. It would be...interesting when their emotions came to fruition.

Rhindeer

That was why he let her go? Oh! Suddenly a previously forgotten detail clicked in her mind, and she sat up straight, blue eyes wide. "Ah! I remember why he stopped the second time now, too, I remember what I said," she said, and shook her head a little. How could she have forgotten about this? It had been such a pivotal moment, the turning point of that whole nightmare, but she had been worn out by that point, emotionally and physically; it stood to reason that she might forget some things, either because she wanted to or just because she had been so tired. But now it was all coming back.

"That makes sense, then! The second time, he stopped just after he told me about the drow incident and I asked him if he planned on doing the same things to me. Because he was eighteen back then too, and I'm eighteen now, something like that. I guess I made him realize that he was mirroring what had been done to him, because I remember he gasped and went away from me. So that's why he let me go the first time...because again he was doing the same things she'd done to him...Light that had been bothering me for so long! It seemed so random back then." Well, that enigma had finally been solved! Finally! Still, nonetheless, Vec had seemed so surprised by the fact that Nexus had let her go.

It didn't sound like he let many people go. But she could have guessed as much.

But then she listened to Vec as he spoke, and she nodded in understanding. Yeah, getting him to relate to her had really been key in her survival at that point, pointing out the similarities in their lives. She still didn't know how she did that except that every instinct she had possessed had kicked into high gear then, which she was grateful for. The Lumenari hadn't taught her how to survive a situation like that; she'd had to improvise completely. Thank the Light she was pretty good at recalling details and decent at memorization. She had never imagined that all those painful exersises copying down scriptures and devotional prayers and having to commit them to memory, too, would be good for anything outside the temple, but it had apparently helped with her memory and made her observant. That had come in handy.

Niamh did raise an eyebrow and look at Vec oddly, though, when he said that she brought out the innate good within Nexus. She did? It became even more surprising when he went on to explain Nexus' resentment for women. Erk. He...really did have no luck with women. No wonder...though...damn. That kind of put her at a slight disadvantage, if he'd be critical or distrusting of her just because of her sex. That...could be tricky. Though, heh. She knew it. His daughter? Well, if Vec was a God, his daughter had to be a Goddess. And as far as the Goddesses of Nexus' realm went, she only knew of one, that Goddess of Justice of his, the one he had told her about. Niamh gave a little sigh. "That doesn't surprise me. She did make his life hell..." she mumbled.

Indeed, for all that Niamh had gone through, she did understand now where Nexus was coming from. If Vec was real, so was his Goddess. There was no doubt about that now. And that...well...that made it all just a little more sad. Nexus said he loved what he did yet hated it--or rather, hated himself for it. But he had to do it. Because he was created to. If you were created for a purpose...what could you do but what you knew? Ugh...it really was cruel...to him, to everyone else. And it was true. Nexus was cruel in the beginning. But then she had started to see his private side, the side that did seem to care, be thoughtful and warm, the side that was even a bit...self-sacrificing...

"Hm?" She was lightly startled out of her thoughts when he placed a hand on her knee briefly, assuring her it was okay, and she smiled a little, that simple, quick gesture oddly calming--hell, she was surprised at just how calm she had been through this, for aside from getting a little shook up as she retold the warehouse story, her palms were dry and her pulse was normal. She nodded a little after. Well then, she wouldn't be worried about talking too much, then!

Except what he said next did come as a bit of a shock.

"Me keep him in line? Are you serious? Me, the one he used to like to lasso and drag around?" Niamh repeated incredulously, both eyebrows arched as she looked at Vec owlishly. Then she barked a short laugh and shook her head, grinning weakly and running a hand through her short hair. "I'm not too sure about that one, but that's not to say I won't try my best of course. Wait. Actually...we did make a bit of a deal earlier..." Her grin grew a little then, almost mischievously as she thought on it, and her eyes brightened as realization clicked into place. "Ah, Vec! Maybe you are onto something! See, the deal we made was that as long as I'm around him he has to behave himself and repress his, um, urges. Maybe you're right now that I think of it. He was starting to get a little suggestive earlier and when I reminded him, he shaped up. Hah! Nice, I'd never thought of our deal like that!"

She chuckled again and beamed over at Vec, suddenly feeling one hell of a lot more cheerful. "I hadn't even thought of how strange that was, either! So much was happening at the time, but...heh! And he'd told me before that he couldn't make any promises! It's odd though. I mean, it seems like this whole thing is even surprising you, and you're his...his..." She swallowed. It was still a sort of difficult thing to admit. "God. I'm guessing he doesn't let many people go...and you said he usually resents women...but that for some reason it's different with me, that he's changing now..."

Niamh trailed off thoughtfully, her tone gradually becoming more sober, and she brought a hand up so she could rest her chin on her fist, eyes glancing off to the side to watch a leaf as it fluttered down from one of the trees around them. She frowned slightly, then looked back over to Vec. "I don't really understand why I'm so different when the man's been alive over a thousand years, but...still. Vec, everything you said, if all that's true like you say...I'm going to trust you on this. And that means I'm...I'm gonna trust him. I wanted to trust him. I just needed to hear it from someone else I guess, to know I'm not going crazy, that it wouldn't be a foolish mistake. I've just been...confused. So much has happened in just a couple of days."

She still couldn't really believe that she was actually talking casually to a God, or former God, right now. But she also realized she was either probably still in shock, or so much had already happened that she just wasn't so sure that she could be surprised by anything anymore. Her mind had probably just temporarily shut down to protect itself.

Then, suddenly, she crossed her arms over her chest, uncrossed her legs to plant both feet on the ground, and gave Vec a considering look. "I also hope you're planning on giving Nexus a similar lecture," she told him with a half-joking smirk. "I daresay he needs one more than me."

Anonymous

"My...You really are a smart girl aren't you Niamh?" It wasn't a condescending tone that escaped from Vec's mouth, it was one of congratulations instead, an inoffensive sort of tone. He wasn't making fun of her, he was really quite impressed. After all, mortals had so much potential and when they finally did get to using all their creativity and ingenuity, he was impressed. It hadn't be hard to put together why he did it the first time, the second time however now was shed completely in light, which was a good thing. They needed to really know the man behind the eyes and the hat. Nexus was wanting to torture Niamh, but for some reason she had jogged in his memory his own feelings from when he had been tortured. It was...quite an interesting thing to say the least.

"It was all supposed to happen. From the moment my daughter wanted three Agents to control, it was to happen that Nexus's life would never be the same. Even his name had been chosen by the heavens. However, I resented how much she wanted to torture him, so she could gain complete control of him. However, he has mostly broken free of her, but still he holds his tenancies, subconscious ones of hate." Vec was on the fence about Nexus though, he always had been. Nexus wasn't a bad guy, he was just lashing out at any world because of how he had been treated. Things were different now. Niamh was in the picture.

Vec would have to talk to Nexus next though, and that would be an interesting little feat. Vec had seen into Nexus's mind, he had heard what his soul had said, and he had been surprised. Probably a little later he should tell Niamh about what he heard. It would make for a most interesting conversation no doubt.

"You may not realize it Niamh, but you control him more than you know. As I understand it, he killed no Lumenari when leaving the town because of you, and I happened upon a nice couple tied up in a back alley. Seems they were quite alive, though a little shaken up. I know you must have given him an order, for the Lumenari would lay dead and the town would be on fire." Technically speaking the town had been on fire, but Vec could tell the magic did not come from Nexus, it came from the Lumenari. He smiled when she continued on and told of the deal she had made with Nexus.

"There you go. You keep him in line with a simple deal, one that even for him is very straining to uphold." Vec told her with a small smile. This was most entertaing actually. Nexus had agreed to keep his urges at bay, which meant one thing. He wanted her to be around him, so much so that he would change himself for that to happen. Whether it was good that Nexus was changing so much, or bad, Vec could not say, did not want to say. It did not really matter at this point. Inside Nexus there would always be that lurking beast, but Niamh might be able to help keep that beast at bay.

"He seems to be holding his promises rather well. It is quite good to see him trying to be just and upholding. Also, I am pleased you admit I am a God. It makes some things so much more easier. Oh and he does resent you, but he resent himself for every moment he is with you, because it goes against what he believes, but he can not stop himself. No matter how much he despises it, he wants to be near you. Just as he wants to torture people, but understands it is wrong, but loves it so. You are his enigma, and he is your enigma. Quite a pair I might say." Vec's smile had never left him as she suddenly tried to become very serious and tell him something, to which he chuckled.

"Rest assured Niamh, he will get a similar lecture. Which remind me, I should probably go and find him at this point." Slowly Vec stood up and stretched his arms and legs before placing a hand on her shoulder. "You should stay here, as Nexus has given us privacy, he will need his privacy as well." With that being said he started walking toward the direction that Nexus had gone off to. He had stopped for a moment, his gaze falling upon her once more.

"Also, you should know. You stir within Nexus the same feelings that the Drow girl stirred within him. Maybe that is the thing he is most confused about. A thousand years without feeling that emotion, and then you are here, and you make his heart a flutter. Ah. Just like a bashful little boy again." Then, before he could get a reaction or an answer from her, he started walking again. He wanted her to think on that privately, it was all as fair after all.

It took him a few minutes to reach the small creek that Nexus was at, haunched over it and washing his face. He turned about quickly, holding a small whip in his hand, but when his eyes fell on Vec he sighed and dispelled the weapon. Only Vec. He felt edgy right now, and he had no idea why.

"Hello Nexus." Vec said politely as he stepped up next to the man, who slowly stood up to his full height. "Vec. How did it go?" Nexus wanted to know what they had talked about, what had been said. He had been immensely curious about it, and it wasn't fair that he was being kept so far in the dark. After all, he knew the conversation had been mostly about him, so why not let him on the secret conversation.

"It went very well Nexus. Now I must talk to you." Vec told the man as he looked to him and blinked several times. Talk to him? That didn't sound very good at all. Slowly Nexus lowered himself to a seating position, his eyes never looking away from the slightly glowing man. Nexus kept a close eye on the man as he spoke to him, trying to figure out just what the strange God was talking about.

"Your soul has spoken to me Nexus, sung if you will, and I have listened to it carefully. You know what is the most amusing thing I have found? It has told me that there are feelings, strange feelings that you have only felt once before in your seventeen thousand years. I understand everything about you Nexus." Vec spoke softly as he turned his blindfolded gaze to the slightly blushing man. Nexus wasn't sure if Vec was right about the feelings...ah hell, was Vec ever wrong? Probably not.

"You resent her for what women have done to you, and yet, at the same time, the other side of you says that you want to trust her, to get close to her, to be her friend. You are ripping yourself apart because you can not understand this." Vec explained to Nexus, who just sat there with a sober expression processing all of it. He knew this too, and he knew that he was being controlled by Niamh but...he didn't care. By the Gods it felt good for him, all the conflict, all the pain...DAMN. If he hadn't made a deal with Niamh...it would be so much the sweeter.

"Well...as long as you realize you like her, and that she likes you. This impasse has been eliminated. Excellent." Vec smiled slightly as he turned his attention toward the forest. He was not going to head straight to the camp yet, there were things that had to happen first. Like the capture of Niamh.

"Wait...she likes me?" Nexus blinked several times as Vec nodded, smiling. "Yes, she does. She trusts you in a way as well, more now. However Nexus...I'm afraid I must do this to you." Nexus went rigid as Vec gripped the carotid artery in Nexus's neck, cutting off blood. Nexus was unconscious in a few seconds, slumping backwards. Sighing, he looked at the forest.

"Sorry Niamh. This is something that must happen. You will understand soon enough." It was past noon, and the sun would be going down in at least four hours. That would give them one night. One night. Vec smiled as he waited, his special sight showing him Niamh's location, waiting. When things finally happened, he would then wake Nexus up and they could go to the Lumenari camp and things would finally start going the right way for Nexus and Niamh.

Rhindeer

What?

WHAT?

For one of those rare moments in Niamh's life, she was rendered completely speechless, unless you counted a small, soft sound of surprise she made in the back of her throat--more of a choked sound that she'd been unable to form into a word. But aside from that, nothing. She couldn't speak, couldn't move, and could only stare at Vec's back in dumb shock as he walked away, mouth hanging open and eyes wide, and considering how vocal she had been even in the warehouse under the direst of circumstances, indeed, shocking her into silence was no small feat. Yeah, Vec was certainly right. Niamh may not have been the strongest of people when it came to brute strength and skill in battle, but her mind was at least sharp, and it took all of a few seconds for his words to register and make sense.

Drow girl. Nexus had liked the drow woman. More than liked, he said he'd fallen in love with her if her memory served her correctly. And Vec was telling her that she stirred the same feelings in Nexus as that woman? Niamh shut her mouth with a slight clicking of teeth, but she was still staring at the space where Vec had once been. Was he serious?!

He...he likes me? Like THAT?

Oh jeez...maybe Vec was joking...but did former Gods joke. In any case, she wasn't so sure about how these things worked, considering she'd avoided the affections of some boys back in Solis, but she was pretty sure that kidnapping someone and whipping them generally wasn't considered a form of courtship or flirting! Usually you brought the girl flowers or sweets or some sort of gift, unless you were a little kid in which case, well, yeah, sometimes you beat the crap out of each other then. But Niamh didn't see it! Or...wait...maybe she did? He did stop, like Vec said. He had been going out of his way to make up for the damage he'd done. He was listening to her. He hadn't harmed her friends--and what was even more remarkable about that was that she'd never told him not to, because she'd never gotten the chance. Whereas Vec seemed to believe that she gave Nexus an order, Nexus had been even a step ahead of Niamh. She had given him no such order; he had spared them all on his own.

A shiver ran down her spine, and she folded her arms over her chest. Light...maybe Vec was serious...

The same feelings as the drow woman, though?

She still couldn't believe it, and even worse, she couldn't figure out why she was blushing. Again. Dammit, that seemed to be happening a lot lately...and it was getting on her nerves. Even worse, Nexus seemed to be the one responsible for all that blushing.

Ugh, this is stupid!

Even though Vec had told her to wait here, to give he and Nexus their privacy, she was sorely tempted to follow after Vec and eavesdrop--because she just knew they would probably be talking about her, and she wanted to know what they were saying!--but the temptation came and passed. No, they'd catch her, and besides, maybe she was just being paranoid? She probably had a right to be paranoid but the main point was that they'd catch her if she tried to listen in, so...she'd just be forced to wait around here and squirm. Then again, why did she care?! It was stupid! If he had a crush on her, then oh well, he'd have to deal, she didn't care! It shouldn't bother her.

Her stiff posture and anxiously tapping foot told otherwise.

Dammit.

How long were they going to take, anyway? And more importantly, what were they saying?! Damn Vec for leaving right then, leaving her hanging like that after saying something so big! And...oh crap. Suddenly the thought occurred to her of how awkward it just might be when Vec and Nexus returned. Light...it was just one thing after the other, wasn't it? One big event and revelation after the next. It was probably a testament to just how much she'd been through in such a short amount of time that she suddenly felt that, after this, she didn't think anything could surprise her. Let's see...she'd already been kidnapped, tortured, become a traitor and a heretic, lost her faith, met a God, witnessed the beginnings of her planet, and become friends with her tormentor who apparently liked her and she didn't feel as upset about that as she felt she should. Yeah. That probably covered everything and she was fairly certain that most people didn't experience all that in their lifetime, much less a few days. Nothing could surprise her after this. At least not while she still felt numb with shock.

Feeling oddly frustrated and restless, Niamh finally rose to her feet and started to pace the small clearing, just needing to move and do something as she waited, her steps brisk and jerky. She didn't know how long she waited and paced, but sometime during this a twig snapped behind her in the undergrowth, and she came to an abrupt stop, looking around. At that point she didn't even think to be afraid; Nexus was somewhere close by with his keen senses so he'd know if something was up, and now there was a former God among them too. Needless to say, she felt really safe for once.

"Nexus?" she called quietly, since Vec seemed too silent when walking so that was the only other option. No answer. It was that lack of an answer that made her nervous. She reached to her waist to draw her dagger and spun around, prepared to head for the place where Vec and Nexus both had gone. "Nexus, if this is some kind of--"

The words froze on her tongue as she came face to face with a tall man with dark blonde hair, his white clothes trimmed in red and gold, his skin a bit darker than usual for a Solisi. "Nexus, hmm? You lot sound awfully cozy, Niamh," was all that registered in her ears before she felt the pain in her lower stomach, realized she couldn't breathe, and everything went black.

When she woke up again, she was no longer in the forest.

That was the first thing she noticed when she opened her eyes dazedly. The forest was gone, replaced by, as far as she could see from her position on the ground, a lot of grass. There were trees, too, she could make out what she thought was a forest, but it didn't look like the one she and Nexus had been in. In fact, she didn't remember there being hills around where she and Nexus had been...and the sound of bustling activity around her, of horses stamping and snorting, of weapons clanking, the familiar sounds of camp being made...ah damn! The Lumenari! It had slipped her mind completely in the disorientation that came with waking.

The next thing she noticed was how sore her stomach was when, in a panic, she jerked in an effort to sit up; Ishan hadn't pulled his punch a bit. With a soft groan, she let herself flop back over onto her side in the grass, and it wasn't just the soreness that had discouraged her. As soon as she'd tried to move, she'd also become aware that, surprise surprise, she was bound, ankles tied together with thick rope and arms tied firmly behind her back. Wonderful. Heaving a sigh, for a few moments Niamh was more annoyed than anything since, well, it seemed like she was always getting tied the hell up lately. However, that brief sense of annoyance soon faded completely when a pair of sandaled feet appeared before her.

"About time you woke."

Looking up, Niamh winced when her eyes met Ket's. The older woman was frowning down at her, hands on her hips, but her nose looked remarkably better at least. Another healer had tended to the wounded healer, it seemed. "Niamh..." She sounded tired as she slowly knelt down to be more on a level with her, releasing her breath in a long sigh. "I don't think I need to tell you that you have a lot of explaining to do. Do I? Sit up."

Hands gripping Niamh's shoulders, she helped her into a sitting position, but she didn't remove her hands after. She continued to grip Niamh's shoulders, fingers digging in a bit, making Niamh shift uncomfortably. But she was looking into her face, her expression serious and concerned. "Niamh...we're going to start with what's going on with you, okay? And I want you to answer honestly. Jahi and Ishan are pissed right now so I thought it'd be best if I was the one to talk to you. But you have to be honest, and I'm not going to lie...you're in a <I>very dangerous position right now. People are starting to talk, and starting to believe that you have forsaken us to run around with a heathen. By choice." She paused for a moment, meeting Niamh's eyes unwavering.

"...Mikeil saw you at an inn with the heathen this morning."

Niamh's blood went cold. Oh...crap...

"You didn't appear to be in distress, he said, and from the looks of it, you had spent the night there. With him. Is this true?"

"Uh..." Once again, Niamh was rendered speechless, and much to her horror, her cheeks felt hot. To think, she hadn't once thought how bad that might have looked. And of course she hadn't counted on any of the Lumenari actually seeing. She hadn't counted on being caught, either. Where were Nexus and Vec?! "Yeah...I stayed in the inn, but...not like that! He was there too, but not with me and--"

"Mhm. And after that? You attacked me and Jahi, Niamh. Then your heathen came and intervened, and you walked off with him. He wasn't holding you against your will, Niamh. You walked away with him. I saw it. And then later in the forest? When Ishan found you? You called the heathen's name, he said. It doesn't sound like you were trying to escape." Niamh was stunned into silence, knowing full well the truth of what Ket was saying, and Ket gave another sigh, lowering her voice. She looked at Niamh almost pleadingly.

"Listen...we've all been worried about you since that incident three weeks ago. You're our sister under the Sun, we look out for each other...that's why Ishan tracked you down, even insisting on going alone despite the dangers because he knew that was the only way to remain silent, the only way he had a chance of getting you back. But some of us...well...there are some who feel like you've betrayed us and feel that you should be judged accordingly. We need to know the truth. Myself? Even after what you did, I know you better than that. All of this...it's not you. And while some among us may not be that experienced in the ways of heathens, I know what they can do with their sorcery, and Niamh...if he put a spell on you...if he was controlling you in some way we couldn't see...everything can be forgiven, do you understand? You can come back to us. We'll protect you and we will make that heathen pay. Niamh, talk to me."

Niamh knew full well what Ket was asking her, and her heart beat wildly in her chest as she thought it over. That was all there was to it. It would be so easy. All she had to do was agree that, yes...he had been controlling her. He had possessed her. They didn't know about everything else she had done.

All she had to do was betray Nexus. Then she could go home.

Then she could go back to killing and hating just because some false religion told her to. Ah. Yeah. It was so easy to let something else make all your decisions for you...telling you who to like and who not to like, who to hate and who to kill. Who to die for. What to die for...all blind ideals.

"I...knew what I was doing..." Niamh said very quietly, and she had to finally avert her eyes. "I was with him because I wanted to be with him. I fought you because I didn't want to go back. I knew what I was doing." She shifted a little, balling her hands into fists behind her back. She hoped her trembling wasn't obvious as she willed her voice to remain controlled. "It was all my choice for once."

Ket withdrew from Niamh as though stung. "You can't mean that."

"I do...I'm sorry, but it's all true, and you're all wrong. You're all being mislead and used. I didn't believe it at first, either, but the things I've seen and learned...Ket, none of it's true! The sun's not even a Goddess and--"

"Oh Light have mercy, Niamh..."

"The heathens have it more right than any of us do. Ket, if Mother Sun's so right and the Living Sun's so powerful then why doesn't she just come down here and do everything herself--"

"Enough, Niamh!" Ket raised her hand in frustration and Niamh flinched, but Ket never had been a violent woman. She took a deep breath and let her hand fall back to her lap, then raised it again to rub at her face, shaking her head. "Goddess...and you said you studied in a temple...Light..." She took a deep breath, steadying herself. "It's still not too late. I don't know what happened and what you were told...Niamh...you'll be put to death for this. You know that, right? This is a burning offense. Walking beneath the moon...forsaking Mother Sun...betraying us...Niamh, please..."

Ket was torn, and Niamh could see it. She was Niamh's friend, but she was also a Lumenari and she served Mother Sun and the Living Sun first and foremost. The laws were very clear on this matter, and those particular laws were written in scripture.

"I know..." Niamh closed her eyes for a few seconds, trying to keep her breath slow and even, even though she felt panicky. Then she looked steadily over at Ket. She didn't want to appear as frightened as she felt right now. "I know what I'm doing. Three weeks ago, Ket, and I was willing to die for Mother Sun. I thought I was going to, and I was prepared. I was always ready to die for my faith and...I...I still am. A different faith now, faith in myself and others, but I'm still willing...if it comes down to it...I won't betray him or what I know to be true, I won't go back to doing something I now know is wrong, even if I'll die..."

Ket drew another deep breath then, shaking her head, she rose gracefully to her feet. "Then you will." And with that said, she turned and walked briskly away without looking back. Her voice had sounded oddly thick, yet there was resolve in it.

Niamh slumped when it was over, and it was only then that she allowed the severity of what she'd done to sink in. She'd...actually said all that...she'd spoken honestly...

Light, what am I doing...?

She'd just sentenced herself to death. And if she knew Solisi customs, she knew they would waste little time in carrying out the sentence. Especially the Lumenari. They had no need for lugging prisoners along with them.

But it was also true that she did have faith...wasn't that what Vec had said? Put her faith in herself and others?

Light help her if she wasn't doing that now. She didn't know where Vec or Nexus were, if they were safe, if they even knew she was gone yet, but Nexus had made a promise. He'd said he would protect her.

When she started to silently pray then, it wasn't to a Goddess, it wasn't to anyone or anything really. She just prayed he'd find her in time. She'd done this for him as much as for herself...

Anonymous

While Vec stayed beside Nexus, watching the events unfold, Nexus stayed still. He had just been knocked out after all, and now he wasn't sure what to think. Vec was supposed to be his friend after all...Now though he was knocked out laying beside Vec as Vec used his second sight to view things from afar. Great.

However...something strange was happening. Nexus...started to dream? That wasn't possible. He didn't dream or have nightmares when he tranced, so this was a very odd and very new thing for him. He wasn't exactly sure he understood just what was going on...It seemed so surreal at this point, like he was there, like...this was really happening.

He was running. He was running through a forest. Was it the forest he was in now? He wasn't sure really. It seemed like the forest. It smelled like the forest too. It was night time, or it looked like night time. It was dark but he could still see clearly, perhaps that was just his vision working properly? Damn it he was confused! He could see the moon and everything but...at the same time...it was light out. This couldn't be real, it just didn't make sense!

Finally he emerged from the forest, his eyes coming upon a small encampment of Lumenari, with Niamh tied to a large stake in the ground. There was a sudden pain though as he slammed into something solid, sending him carreening backwards onto the ground. Vec was standing there. Vec that arrogant and smug little bastard. Standing there smiling with...with Feris beside him?! What the hell!

"Vec! Please! I have...I have to...Niamh...She'll die!" Nexus slowly got to his feet, only to find them bound with ropes that connected to Feris's hands. That devil Goddess was smiling all the while, her perfect lips curved upwards and her sand coloured eyes glowed bright as she kept her gaze firm upon him.

"Niamh father? You let him consort with a lowly mortal? Pitiful. I thought he learnt that he was mine!" Feris's voice was strong, sharp, very commanding, and Nexus hated it. He closed his eyes tight but that didn't help of course, he could still see everything! It was...painful...it hurt him to know that he could never escape it.

"Well, even fools have dreams dear daughter." Vec said simply as he turned his attention toward the encampment, just as bright lights began to appear around the stake that held Niamh. She was screaming, he could hear it, he could see it, and he struggled. He had to get to her! He had to save Niamh from the fire, but...he couldn't! He couldn't get free, not while Feris held the reigns. It tore him up, the ropes cutting his wrists and legs as he tried to lubricate them with blood, which seemed to help. He was able to slip free of them, and he was able to start running toward the Lumenari camp.

Until a hand touched his shoulder and he froze completely. It was Vec of course. He knew the hand well, because he felt a rush of emotions. Not good ones either. Fear. Loathing. Shame. Guilt. Pain. He wasn't sure what he felt at this time, it was just a rush that him. Slowly he fell to his knees. He could see her. She was in pain. She was crying out for him. The fire had already started to catch on her, burning her and scarring her. He...he could take those wounds. He could save her still! If only...Vec would let go of him.

"No Nexus, you will watch. You will watch as punishment for all your crimes." Feris cooed into his ear as she came to stand beside him, watching as Niamh was completely engulfed in the flames. The screams had stopped abruptly. He...he couldn't take those wounds. He couldn't save her now. She was gone. She was gone and he was to live...just like it should be.

"She didn't have to die! I could have saved her! I could...I could have made sure...I could have gotten to her...Damn you! Damn you all!" Tears flowed freely down his face as a bright light engulfed the three of them. It was...it was a woman...dressed not unlike Vec actually...breathing fire and light from her eyes as she slowly came to rest in front of Nexus, Vec, and Feris.

"Thank you for keeping him here my children." The strange woman said as both Vec and Feris nodded and smiled politely to her. Who...was this? Arkhanan? No...that God was golden and not feminine after all. This wasn't Arkhanan, this was someone else, or, something else at least.

"You are most welcome Mother." Vec said as he let go of Nexus and moved away from the man. Feris did the same and Nexus felt incredible fear strike him. Mother Sun. Oh...hell...He had openly insulted her hadn't he? Scoffed her for the most part and said that Vec was the one true God...and...maybe he was wrong? This sure as hell made it look like he was wrong though. Mother Sun.

"Nexus Savaros, you have defiled my child, and as such, that is grounds for the most painful death possible. You brought this upon yourself mortal." Her eyes began to glow brighter and the fire he felt got hotter. His clothes started to burn away, his eyes closed, and for once, he saw darkness. That is, until the layers of skin on his body began to burn away, with it, his eyelids were ash in the wind. He opened his mouth to scream at the intense heat he felt, but that only allowed the fire to travel down into his body further. Burning, Scorching. Turning flesh to ash and sending it away. Before his brain was turned to ash, he could only think one thing. He failed her. He deserved this.

Nexus awoke with a start, looking around wildly. Where...the hell was he? Why was he floating and moving through the forest? His eyes finally came upon Vec, and he blinked several times. Vec. So...What he had felt...earlier was false perhaps? He couldn't be sure. The dream had seemed so real, and Vec had acted different so it couldn't have been real. He refused to accept that Vec would let both himself and Niamh die. Still...it sounded and had looked like Vec. Had he just had a vision perhaps?

"That was a dream Nexus. A nightmare actually. I am not taking you to the Mother Sun, Feris is not here, and Niamh will not be burned at the stake." Vec's words calmed him a little bit, but at the same time Nexus was scared. Very scared. Wouldn't an all seeing being try to convince you that a dream was fake? That what he saw wasn't real? Of course! Vec was just lying to him. That had to have been it.

"Nexus I promise you that you will save Niamh tonight, and that things will work out. I am not trying to trick you. You should know me better than this. If you want to save Niamh, then you will just lie still. You need your rest." Vec told him as they finally exited the forest and stopped. Nexus slowly got up off...it was a strange transparent lavender disk of some sort. Vec put his hand on it making it shrink down to the size of a gold piece, which he pocketed.

"Vec?" Nexus was very confused by what he saw. He really couldn't be sure, but why would Vec have something so strange? "I am not a God here Nexus. Yes I can put on a very nice little act and use empathic powers on people, but I am no God." Vec wanted to try to make that clear at this point. It was why he didn't want Niamh worshipping him, or asking him to forgive her. He couldn't do it because it was wrong, and because he wasn't a God. Like he had said, he had given up his powers to enter this world. Poor Niamh might be rather miffed if she knew that the trip they had gone one was just an illusion. Albeit, one where he had to keep her mind from looking for flaws and feeding her emotions but still...an illusion none the less.

"I'm going down there. I'll free her and kill every one of them." Nexus already had a silver whip in his hand. That was a dangerous whip, made with strands of metal so thin it was almost impossible to see. Something that could cut a man in half with a simple flick of the wrists. However, Vec shook his head as he stepped in front of Nexus quickly. It almost reminded him of his dream, and fear struck his heart.

"Nexus, this will be done peacefully. I am planning on getting the entire camp down there to disband and forget about you. As it stands right now, only that group of Lumenari know about you and Niamh. I aim to keep it that way. If they disband, you two will be safe. If you slaughter them now Nexus, there will be no hope of escaping their wrath." Nexus slumped down to his knees, the whip disappearing. Why did Vec always have to make such sense? This wasn't very fair, he wanted to rescue her now!

"Why?" Vec asked Nexus suddenly. Nexus looked up at him, blinking. "Why...what?" The question hadn't made much sense, even for Vec. "Why do you want to save her." Nexus gulped as he tried to think about that one for a moment. Why did he want to save her? What was the point to saving her?

"I promised to keep her safe." Nexus kept his gaze off the God, as if...feeling ashamed almost. "You are Nexus Savaros, since when do promises mean things to you? I have seen you make three promises in one minute and break them all about a second later. Why is this one different?" Vec was right of course. Vec was always right it seemed. Nexus just knew that he had to honour this promise. It was the right thing to do.

"How the hell do you know about the right thing? You are a murderer, a rapist, a thief, a brawler, a killer, a lunatic!" Vec was practically yelling at him, and Nexus wished that the dream HAD come true so he wouldn't have to deal with this. It was harsh to hear Vec call him all these things, and he didn't understand why he was saying it all. It just didn't make sense. However...he was getting angry. Very angry.

"Because alright! She's like me! She's going through what I had to go through! The pain, the torture, the confusion! I wanted to do to her what the Drow had done to me! No one should have to go through that!" Nexus was on his feet, seething mad as he kept his gaze level on Vec. He wasn't a God, he could strike him down and go rescue Niamh right now.

"I wondered where that spark had gone." Vec said idly as he watched Nexus with a smile now. This made Nexus blink several times, the hand that had been rolled into a fist slowly released. "It's because I know what is right and what is wrong. I was trained...to know the difference. This is wrong. I have to make it right." Oh...Gods. Nexus sort of realized everything now. He was going to do this because it was the right thing. Also because...why else?

"Because you want to see her again." Vec had a curt smile as he turned to look toward the Lumenari camp. Ah poor Nexus didn't understand complex feelings like love. Simple feelings like Lust, Anger, Sorrow, he could understand those, they were universal, but love was the most confusing thing to someone like Nexus. Vec was right though, Nexus did want to see her again. It...he.... had no idea what these thoughts were all about. Niamh was just a strange girl who had challenged him and yet...he felt that if he lost her he might lose a part of himself. Why? Why had they met up again?

In the warehouse he used all his energy to make her feel at home. To make her feel like she should be there. He had saved her in the town from her 'friends' and had... lured them away from her. Risked life and limb for her. Why? Why would he possibly do all these things for her. Was it the right thing to do? Yes. It was. Still...the right thing to do would be to let her go and be on her way, but he felt...selfish. That he wanted to just...keep her with him. So that no one could have her but him.

"You can sort those feelings later Nexus. We need to keep watch. Right now Niamh is praying for rescue. When she is removed from that tent, and they put her on a stake, that is when we shall act. You will go around back, you will free her, while I distract the Lumenari and fill their heads with some new information. Then you run Nexus. You take her and you run as far and as fast as you can go. Never look back, and never stop. Just run." If the Lumenari didn't accept the words and the ideas he was going to speak to them...Vec knew they would kill him. It would still be a distraction enough for Nexus and Niamh though.

"Thank you Vec." A smile was still on Vec's face as he nodded once. He did this because he knew what was right as well, and he knew just what had to happen for Nexus and Niamh. They deserved a life, even Nexus deserved his own little life after all. This would serve to give them a nice taste of things. No Lumenari, no troubles, and no worries. Of course, leaving the country might very well be a good idea. That was a given after all.

Soon the real show would start, and true tests of strength and bravery would be shown.

Rhindeer

Niamh's time was far less eventful than Nexus' for the most part.

After Ket left, she found herself completely alone in the small tent with nothing to occupy her time but her thoughts.

Which were all decidedly unpleasant.

It was only then, while Niamh was waiting for someone to actually come and announce her sentence, that she started to really regret what she'd done. Just waking up and in the heat of the moment, she'd been taken off guard by Ket's interrogation and...Light help her, but pride had reared its head. It was all her decision and pride demanded that she make that very clear, because after all that she'd been through, after all the helplessness she'd felt, it just felt oddly important to feel in control in again, to let it be known that she wasn't being controlled. She wasn't just some pawn that got pushed around, she made her own choices, and...ugh...she'd also felt the inexplicable urge to defend Nexus. And maybe she did like being right. She knew what the Lumenari believed was wrong, and...yeah, maybe she had said too much. In any case, now that she was left alone in the tent to actually reflect on everything, she realized then just how stupid she had been.

She really hadn't been thinking at all.

In the warehouse, she'd been impulsive too, it was true, but she'd been thinking! She'd used her head to survive and played a game initially to save herself. If she had been thinking, she would have done the same here. She would have taken up Ket's offer and agreed that, indeed, she had been under a spell and that she hadn't been acting of her own free will. That would have allowed her to stall for some much needed time and then...well...then she could only hope that Nexus would come and that he'd understand why she'd said what she had.

Of course, she hadn't thought about that then. Then again, it was also true that she was a poor liar...oh, she didn't know! That plan could have still backfired and, after all, even if Ket was willing to forgive her...she wasn't so sure if everyone else would be so quick to believe a story like that.

There were so many unknowns...but it was too late now. After everything she'd said...no, she'd sealed her fate.

Gritting her teeth, Niamh worked desperately at her ropes as she sat there, feeling her wrists begin to chaff and burn as she rubbed a layer of skin off them in her efforts to loosen the knots. Fire had proven useless; the first thing she'd done when Ket left was prod at the ropes with the smallest bit of fire she dared conjure but she'd found the ropes resistant to it. Sigh. She should have guessed as much. It only made sense.

Unfortunately, the knots were also tied expertly and wouldn't budge.

Light, she'd made a huge mistake...

Niamh didn't know how much time passed before Ket returned, pushing aside the tent flap and ducking inside. All she did know was that a good few hours must have passed because it was growing steadily darker out. It was almost night...and still no sign of Nexus. But it wasn't over. He should have noticed that she was gone by now, and...well...it might just be that he was planning on getting her back in the night. He'd learned from her that Solisi were weakest then...that had to be it, and it was a comforting thought. Burnings tended to take place during the day, especially in the morn--

"It's almost ready, Niamh," Ket announced tonelessly after a long pause, her gaze equally flat and expressionless even as she avoided looking at her. "It's happening tonight."

Cold fear shot down Niamh's spine and she froze, yet her mouth was working and the only thing she could think to blurt out was, "What? Tonight? But I thought...the morning..."

"No," Ket answered coldly, still not looking at her. "Sari said that if you wished to walk under the moon, you might as well be given over to it completely. Since it's what you want, and everyone wants to just get it over with. Ay...I was just told to tell you that...and if you think this is easy for us, Niamh...I..." She didn't finish her sentence, instead turning on her heel to leave.

"Wait, Ket! What if...what if I was possessed?"

Ket only laughed hoarsely. "Too late for that, Niamh. You had your chance, you're a heretic now. If you're lucky, you won't go alone tonight, though...that is, if this heathen of yours is loyal after all and tries to show his face." And with that said, she hurried out of the tent.

The remainder of her time there passed in blur. No one else came to see her, but Niamh didn't expect that, either. She knew how these things worked, she'd seen and heard of it before back in Solis. She was a heretic which meant that she was already dead to them now, and perhaps that was just how they coped with situations like this. It was probably the only way to cope when you were being forced to kill your own friend. For her part, Niamh also felt oddly cold and distant, like none of it was real, and all she could do was wait and watch as the shadows grew darker and the cold began to seep into her body. But she wasn't so sure that was the real reason she was lightly shivering. This all felt...familiar. She was back in the warehouse again, tied up and powerless in this small, dark space, about ready to be...well...tortured.

Though this was different. There was no way to fight against this and there was far too much waiting involved, which meant more time for her to think about what was coming. Death by fire wasn't painless...if she was extremely lucky, the smoke might suffocate her first and then she wouldn't feel the flames. If she was unlucky...she'd feel everything and it could take a while.

If she was very lucky, though, a miracle would happen. But there was still no sign of Nexus or Vec and it had been hours. Funny, that. In the warehouse, Nexus had been her tormentor and she'd been praying for rescue by the Lumenari. Now the Lumenari were to be her tormentors and she was praying for him to rescue her. It was so screwed up and...Light...none of them were so different from him at all...

She was painfully aware of that now. They were all just like him. Tormentor, friend...the line between them could be very thin depending on the situation, couldn't it? Funny that now, of all times, she finally understood it all. Really understood it. And it was also then that she truly forgave Nexus. She'd understood before but it had still been a bit murky and confused. Now it was clear as cut glass.

He really wasn't a bad person...he was no different...it all just came down to circumstances and situatons in the end...

Maybe he wouldn't rescue her, though...maybe it was true, she had no useful skills so he didn't want to put forth the effort to retrieve her. After all, he'd already fought the Lumenari once for her, got a cracked rib, done so much for her and what had she done? Been a burden is what. But...Vec said Nexus liked her! And Nexus had promised...what if he was just too late...and...gah! Why was she thinking these thoughts now of all times?! Probably because she wouldn't have much longer to think them.

Please come...please Nexus... Another time and Niamh might have been crying, but she was fresh out of tears. Not that they'd do much good anyway, they'd just shame her if anything and she wanted to do her best to put on a brave front. Praying probably wasn't doing much good either but at this point it was all she had left. Light she hated this...she hated feeling this powerless. Maybe in the end she deserved this, though...hadn't she witnessed burnings before, even participated in them? But she was sorry...Light was she sorry...

The moment she was dreading came all too soon. Two men she only vaguely recognized silently entered the tent and one held her legs as the other untied the bindings there, ensuring no one got kicked in the face. After that, she was yanked up to her feet by the collar of her shirt and made to walk. Much to her own dismay her legs wobbled like a newborn calf's and she felt sick with nerves. This...also felt familiar. Tied up, made to walk off to a grisly fate...only this time it was still her own people doing this and this time the objective was obvious.

She was pushed none too gently out of the tent and into the cool night air, stumbling, and amid all the flickering campfires that were already set up, lighting up the grassy area, she could see it: a thick stake driven into the ground some distance away from the tents, a few feet taller than she was, with crude kindling set up around it, branches, twigs, dried brush and some logs that had been gathered from the woods nearby. A small crowd had gathered around it, waiting, talking amongst themselves in hushed voices as she was dragged closer though she couldn't make out their faces--not most of them. But she could make out the tell-tale robes of one of them: the priest chosen to carry out the duty. That, if nothing else, was what snapped her out of her surreal daze.

Please, Nexus...please...

She pressed back and dug in her heels, resisting as best as she could, stalling for time, but she was still pulled along effortlessly even as she fought. Screw "going with grace", she could care less about that! She just needed more time.

Before she knew it, her hands were being untied--but only so she could be shoved backwards against the rough post in the ground, her arms bound behind her to the stake before she could even attempt to land a punch. More rope was wrapped around her, securing her waist and legs despite her struggles, and when all the knots were tied and she was in place, the gap around her feet was filled in as the kindling was pushed in close around her, pressing against her shins.

Light, where are you?!

Everything was soon in place and ready and it was then that the priest she'd seen stepped forward, young, maybe only a decade older than she as he looked at her impassively. Disappointed. Then he turned to face the crowd. "It is with much regret that we find ourselves here tonight to witness the just and lawful punishment of one of our very own Sisters, Niamh Mera, who has been found guilty of heresy by her own confession. She has rejected Mother Sun, consorted with a heathen, and proven a traitor to us all of her own free will. For this, as the scriptures state, there is no other fitting punishment but death." Here he turned again to Niamh, who was shuddering, her breath coming in short gasps with budding panic. "Have you anything left to say?"

Somehow, she managed a shaky nod. "Y-yeah...um..." She swallowed around the lump in her throat. "Please don't tell my parents and...ah..." Another deep, steadying breath, and even with her life hanging in the balance she felt the urge to slap herself. Light, that was probably a weird request, but in her stress it just sorta rolled off her tongue. Besides...if she died here, she didn't want them to remember her as a traitor. Shaking her head, she made one last attempt at pleading. "...You're wrong doing this. So wrong. Please, I swear to you, the heathens, Nexus...they're all right, they have it right! Light, the sun's no Goddess, I <I>met a God! Father, we're the ones that are fucked up savages and if you'd just listen then--!"

"You've said enough," the priest interjected, giving her a look both like he pitied her and like she'd sprouted another head. "May the fires of Mother Sun cleanse your soul and may you find peace in the Otherworld."

And that was when the fire started, sparking into existence at the edges of the kindling and catching quickly on the dried materials, spreading fast. This was it then. Still no sign of Nexus, of Vec, of anyone...and already she could feel the fire's heat against her legs, no pain yet, just the growing heat. It wouldn't be long. It wouldn't be...

Even despite her shaking, she'd been doing her best to stay visibly calm, as collected as she could, not wanting to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing her break down. But as the fire grew around her and the smoke made her choke...Light, she couldn't help it. There just came a point where you couldn't take anymore and the fear became too much.

Light help her, but for the first time she found herself actually calling for Nexus when she wasn't coughing, and she couldn't tell if her eyes were watering from the smoke or tears.

Please Nexus...

Anonymous

"I really don't want to wait around forever Vec! We can save her in an instant! How about before they notice us maybe?" Nexus asked as he looked at Vec, fire in his eyes as he takes a step forward, finding his foot touch a weird cloth of some sort that shimmered. It...huh...so it was a cloak or blanket there? What was that all about. His foot came back and he looked to Vec who just smiled a little at Nexus in return.

"They can not see us right now. I put up a special blanket that will make us invisible...as long as we stay behind it." Vec explained to Nexus carefully. However something still seemed fishy about it all. How did the blanket get held up anyways? He couldn't understand it.

"How is the blanket being held up then Vec? Magic?" He looked smugly toward the man who just laughed and shook his head.

"No, actually. There are two sticks on either side in the ground. However, the blanket is wrapped completely around the sticks so as long as they stay apart like this, the blanket is held up." Damn, and here he thought Vec had used some powerful anti-gravity magic to make the stick stand up. Well, that was ah...it was disappointing to say the least. Sigh. No matter.

"So we just...we just stay here standing?" Nexus asked again, looking rather antsy. Vec shook his head as he lowered himself to the ground to sit upon it. "No. You can stand, I shall sit. The time needs to be right. My vision said the sun would be at this height when the burning began, but it seems that my second sight is not completely accurate here." Vec kept his gaze toward the camp, which was preparing a strange stake, gathering kindling. Thankfully they didn't come up this way.

So the day wore on, Nexus pacing and fidgeting, always trying to take steps toward the camp but being stopped by Vec of course.

"I'm scared Vec. I really am."

"I know Nexus. You should be. This is a pivotal moment." Vec said, now laying back and watching the clouds it seemed. Nexus sighed wistfully as he watched the ground.

Why wasn't Vec taking this serious?

Why didn't he just understand that this was...huge? Hell...why did Nexus care so much? This didn't seem like him...it was off.

"You swore to protect her and keep her safe is why Nexus. Also because you have deep routed feelings for her since she is a strong woman who defies you, even tricked you for that matter." Vec spoke softly to Nexus, getting his attention even then. He looked to Vec, saying nothing at this time. He just...well he had no answer for the truth.

Sometimes he hated Vec for when he spoke the truth.

"Vec...the light is fading." Nexus was up, looking toward the camp. He could see her! They were leading her out there! To the stake! He was ready to go, already he was summoning his whips and his threads to keep all around him. However...he was calmed by a touch on his shoulder by Vec.

"Oh...Gods..." Nexus blinked as he couldn't move. His vision was coming true! Gods no! This wasn't fair!

"No Nexus, calm yourself. I am not stopping you, but asking that you take the back route, while I will go straight to the front." Vec told him as he stepped passed the man, who nodded. Yeah...that was a good idea then...? Alright.

"I'll do it then Vec. Please hurry, she's going to burn." Vec smiled and nodded as he started down toward the camp. Nexus could see him glowing already. He just had to NOT look at Vec's eyes. Nexus began to run, heading to the back of the camp, crouched low and using all his power to keep himself quiet. It would be the only way to survive this is to not be noticed by the Lumenari. That is, until Vec had them all distracted. Flashy words and guilty would be the ally.

"Let her speak!" Vec spoke suddenly, getting attention of a few Lumenari. Of course, he had the smile on his face, and he was moving through the crowd unharmed somehow, approaching the priest.

"Blind Childe, you keep your eyes so shut to everything. The Sun holds no Goddess for you. At least, not in the sense you believe." The priest seemed...well...pissed that Vec would speak so brashly about such a subject. However, before the priest could spit out something in response, Vec had his hand up to his eyes, pulling the blindfold off. The pure golden light burst forth from the sockets, falling on everyone in the crowd. Ah, this was good indeed.

"Listen carefully to my words Children. Your Goddess is wrong, why do you exterminate each other for her? A Goddess would have created everyone to worship her, and yet there are heathens everywhere. You kill and maim them just because they walk the darkness. The Drow are not your enemy, they are your brothers and sisters and yet...kill them still." Vec shook his head, making sure he kept his gaze on them.

"Good work Vec..." Nexus was quick to start running to the stake while Vec had his eyes on everyone. The fire was interesting, but Nexus was prepared for this. Holding a hand out, he sucked the fire to him, into a whip, causing him to be holding a fiery whip in his hand. He dropped this of course when the fire burnt his hand. Ick. He forgot to make the handle flame resistant. No matter. While the whip burned on the ground, he quickly drew his dagger and ran to Niamh, quickly cutting her free.

"Children please, We did not give you creativity, ingenuity, and emotions to murder, maim, kill, and destroy your own brothers. We gave it so you could flourish, so you could heal, you could create, you could nuture, and you could love. Why do you focus on the hate? The pain? The jealousy? Why? Why would you use such hurtful emotions on each other?" Vec's voice wa gushing with emotion as he talked, and Nexus almost felt sorry for the poor people. They were having to deal with the full force of Vec's guilt tripping. Well, they deserved it, because they tried to kill Niamh.

"Just...hold on Niamh. I'll get you out." With a final cut he was through her bonds. The dagger was put away, slipping back to where it was supposed to be. "C'mon Niamh we have to go now." There was only one thing to do. Scoop her up in his arms. He was going to do what Vec had told him to do. Run. Run far, and fast. His legs pumped and he kept Niamh with him, ignoring the strange pleasure in his hand. No time to be thinking about THAT of course. No...that could all be settled  later when he could heal it. Right now he just had to run, and run fast.

"So why? Why would you abuse the greatest things we could ever give you?" Vec knew that this alone was going to be a guilt trip. He could see it one the faces of the people in the crowd, their downcast looks, not even realizing that Nexus had taken Niamh yet. This was good, this was really good. Vec's plan was going off without a hitch now.

"From now on friends, live for yourselves! Not for the bodiless scriptures of some God. Free will is a blessing, but you are squandering it by going around and following these disgusting orders!" Vec had been going over this speech in his mind for quite sometime actually. He had to make the people disband and forget about the Lumenari. If he could get them that far then...everything would be safe. Vec began to tie the blindfold up around his eyes again. Ah right. The forgiveness part. He had almost forgot about that.

"Children, if you want to be forgiven by the higher powers, then I tell you this, that will never happen. No God or Goddess will forgive you. That is...until you can manage to forgive yourselves. Look deep within yourselves, if you can forgive yourself, truly forgive yourself...then you will know that you have been forgiven by the powers that be." Oh speeches were fun! These weren't all lies and snake oil of course, a lot of it was true. Vec believed the path to salvation was to be there for yourself. Yes, people SHOULD have religion with him, but one that taught them the true values of being alive. These people were only being taught how to butcher and kill their own brothers and sisters.

Leaving them all stunned, even the priest beside him, Vec began to walk away through the crowd. No one said anything. They were hushed, they were quiet, they were deep in thought. Nexus, you better be running friend. If this sermon does not stick then we are in trouble. Vec thought as he started heading to the invisible blanket on the hill to collect it. After all, he really wanted it back. Not only was it comfy and warm, but it was perfect for being...well invisible.

Nexus was running, and he was running fast. His eyes focused straight ahead as he ran through the forest as fast as he could. Jumping over fallen logs, dodging around tree and ducking under branches. He even ran through some brambles, which he turned around and made sure Niamh received no scratches from it. His clothes, arms and back too the brunt of the sharp thorns however. Hah, running backwards was a cinch when you could see through your own skull. God it felt good too but...he had to focus on something else. His whole body was feeling rather...nice so to speak. The exquisite pain rippling through his body. Damn. He almost wished he could head back to town to find him some entertainment. Wait...why would he do that? He had Niamh right here...No! They had a deal. His...urges would be kept at bay. Yes. That's what she had wanted from him. When they emerged from the brambles, Nexus just kept running, despite his worn condition. He didn't feel tired, not even the least bit. His breathes were still long and even, and his muscles urged him on.

So he kept on running, holding Niamh in his arms carefully.

Heh, I bet she hadn't expected him to rescue her. Not like this at least. It was a change of scenery though that made Nexus come to a grinding halt. The forest had ended suddenly, and they were looking at more grassland. He could easily run across it with her, but he assumed that she could walk now.

"Niamh." His voice was thick and hoarse as he gently put her down on her feet, his eyes never leaving her form. "Are you well enough to walk now? Not that I couldn't keep carrying you of course." It might even be a good idea too...considering they had to just keep running. She didn't seem injured though, so he suspected she would be able to run or walk along with him. If their pace got too slow then he would indeed scoop her up again and just start his marathon running again. It must have been that nap that Vec put him in...it had given him quite a bit of energy so far. Still, he wasn't fond of dreaming so he would stick to trancing.

Rhindeer

The words that rang out suddenly cut Niamh's cries off as surely as it hushed the other Lumenari and she strained to hear then, a single thread of hope weaving through all the panic. Who...who was speaking for her? Yanking at her bonds even then, she squinted to try and see, the smoke stinging her eyes and blurring her vision, but she couldn't distinguish anything anymore. Except for the voice, which spoke up again.

Vec! It was Vec! Oh Light, they'd found her! Or he had at least...but at the moment she didn't care. If Nexus had come or not, right now it didn't matter. The flames were eating at the wood, drawing ever closer, and it was finally starting to get uncomfortable and a little painful, just from the sheer heat of it all. The flames weren't touching her yet, they were still burning slowly inward, but it was still way too close for comfort and the smoke was already making it difficult to breathe. Besides...she was worried about the sparks, too. If one caught on her clothes or hair...she wouldn't be able to put it out. Light! No! No thinking about that! No, she just wanted out of here! If Nexus didn't show, she could...oh...she'd either make him pay for it later or she'd just be too happy about being alive that she'd let it slide. She didn't know, it didn't matter! But what was Vec doing?! He was talking to the Lumenari, and the lines sounded really familiar...way too familiar.

Niamh groaned loudly and briefly shut her eyes against the smoke, leaning her head back and wincing slightly when her skull thudded lightly against the stake. You gotta be kidding me... He was not.

"Vec!" she shouted, desperate and hoarse, and a bout of coughing wracked her quickly after. What was he doing?! He wasn't seriously going to preach now. He could free her first and then preach, but not now! But he was, and Niamh could have screamed in frustration if she could get enough air in her lungs to do it. "VEC!" Light help her, but this was probably the first time in her life that she'd ever entertained the thought of punching a deity and if her hands were free and her reach long enough, she probably would have if she could have. He was not doing this to her. She was not going to die with help only a few feet away! The help of a GOD much less! Former God or not, he was still...what was he doing?!

She was gonna die...he was gonna do his stupid preaching, and she'd die in the meantime...she was already having to shift her legs as much as she could as it was finally starting to really hurt...Light help her...

And then the fire suddenly vanished.

Niamh was left trembling and staring around her in bewilderment, blue eyes wide with terror and then with confusion as for a moment she didn't even know if it was real. But the pain and heat was no more even if the smoke was still heavy in the air, clouding her vision. What...had...had they stopped? Had the Lumenari put it out, believed him...? And then somebody was near her then and she could feel her bonds being cut.

She heard his voice before she was able to look at him. And right then, at that very moment, it was the most gorgeous sound she'd ever heard. Not that she'd ever say that ever for so, so many reasons. But she could think it right now, she had a right! "Nexus!" she heard herself gasp, twisting to try and look at him. Light, she didn't think she'd ever been so happy to see someone...

"I...I don't really...have a choice, Nexus," she managed to mutter wryly, though her voice still shook, when he told her to hold on, aiming for her usual attitude in an attempt to hide just how scared she'd been. It was true, anyway! She was tied up, she wasn't going anywhere! But then she probably revealed just how she really felt when she added in an urgent, almost pleading, "Hurry...!" She just wanted to get out of there and as far away from this place as she could.

Then the bonds were cut, and Nexus was scooping her up into his arms. Niamh didn't protest. If anything, she only encouraged it, tightly clutching at the front of his coat in a white-knuckled death grip and huddling in close to his chest, still shaking, smelling of smoke, and sweaty from the heat but she didn't care. Oddly enough, on the flip side...she felt safe now. He'd come, he'd kept his promise...and whether it was just from sheer exhaustion, relief, or trust, she could feel her tense muscles unlocking as she relaxed a little, though she still held on tightly, not daring to let go.

Lucky for them both, she'd remembered his neck phobia right at the last minute, which was good because her first instinct had been to wrap her arms around his neck. That could have been disastrous. Of course, she also had no idea about Nexus' little problem with his hand, about it being all burned and feeling probably a bit better than it should have. Best that she didn't know.

After that, all she could do was hold on as she was whisked away from the Lumenari camp and, well, it was certainly quite the ride. Niamh kept her eyes shut through most of it, not really because she was afraid anymore--she was still shocked and stunned, but she was no longer afraid--but because her eyes were sore and she felt exhausted, physically and mentally, a sensation that was starting to become really, really familiar to her. Not that she could relax much, though, because with Nexus leaping over obstacles and then even turning around and running backwards through some brambles, well...that was a bit distracting. The bramble part was the most distracting, though, because...uh...maybe she really was out of it and sick on smoke because...running...backwards?

She gave a quiet groan and pressed in closer, clenching her eyes shut and holding on. This whole thing felt kind of odd. It was one thing to ride a horse, but she couldn't say she'd really been carried around by another person...

Not that she was complaining.

She might have complained if she knew what effect the brambles were having on Nexus and the types of thoughts, concerning herself, that he was having.

Another thing that was better not to know, especially considering that, right now, she didn't mind the close contact. If anything, right now, she wanted it.

Finally Nexus came to a halt and lowered her back to her feet, and her knees buckled for a moment before she reached out and grabbed Nexus' arm to help steady herself. Ugh...she was still all wobbly, still shook up, but she steeled her legs and finally let go of Nexus' arm. "Um...yeah...I'm alright," she told him with a nod, rubbing the back of her neck, and it was the truth. She was fine. Aside from getting the daylights scared out of her, rubbing her wrists raw, and probably looking pretty terrible with ash smudged in her hair and her face streaked with smoke stains and sweat, well...she was fine. She hadn't been burned. She was okay.

"I can walk, too...I'm not hurt or anything." She didn't necessarily want to walk--much less run--because her body wasn't agreeing with her there. Truth be told, she really just wanted to curl up and pass out and forget about everything that had happened for a few hours, and Nexus' offer to carry her more sounded tempting, but she'd never say that. She'd keep trudging on stubbornly. It was night, but for now she felt warm. Go figure, she'd almost been burned.

Then, she further surprised herself. No sooner had she said that than she suddenly turned to face Nexus--and wrapped her arms around his waist in a tight hug, completely on impulse...and forgetting about the wounds that were probably covering him from the thorns. "Thank you...I...just...thank you..." she trailed off and paused for a long moment, but then her grip on him grew suddenly tighter. "...But could you have waited any longer?! Light! I almost didn't think you'd come. Bastard." But when she let go of him she was smiling faintly, tiredly, but in relief. And then, just as though she hadn't just done anything strange at all, she turned around and took a few slow steps forward. "Alright...so...where're we going now...?"

Wherever they were going there had better be a bed. Passing out never sounded better. Ugh...she'd think about what had happened, and almost happened, later. Right now she was still too stunned to think.

Mother of Light...when was she going to get a break...?

Back at the Lumenari camp, everyone seemed stunned into silence as they dealt with the consequences of what they had seen when Vec had spoken and looked at them. Some...well, some had more to deal with than others. The priest happened to be one of them, for her served Mother Sun directly and many of the group's decisions was based off his word.

No one followed Vec, even when they saw that Niamh was gone, the wood, untouched in places and the stake unmarred, showing that the burning had not been carried through.

No, maybe that was a lie. Vec wasn't completely alone.

Scrambling after Vec as he walked away, Ket broke off from the group and started after him. A healer herself, her sins were relatively few. Unlike Niamh and the others, she healed, she didn't fight, and so perhaps forgiveness came a bit easier to her. Ishan, seeing her go after him, gave a start and also followed. It was protocol to keep the healers safe, and while Jahi was her partner and always stuck with her, he...well, his sins were greater than even Ishan's, the tracker who had gone out of his way to bring Niamh back to begin with.

"Stop!" Ket shouted, stopping short of Vec, cautious, as Ishan pulled up next to her. "You're going to just leave now? And where's Niamh?"

Anonymous

Well, at least no one had expected Vec to interrupt. He could even see Niamh didn't expect it. Heh, she probably wasn't too happy that Nexus wasn't in plain view at this moment. Vec had many eyes to use at this moment, one to watch the crowd, and one to watch over Niamh and wait for Nexus to make the rescue. My it seemed like people were always captivated with his nice little speeches. Well, when you had guilt simply running into you then well...you didn't have much choices now did you?

Oh dear, Niamh seemed rather miffed that he was preaching!

Like it mattered though.

He could see Nexus already doing his job at this point. Freeing Niamh from the evil flames that would threaten to consume her. Oh she did appear to be so happy to see him, that was always good wasn't it? Expected though of course, because she did have that little thing for him after all. Aw, love blossoming even in such weird and harsh conditions, it really was admirable actually. He just needed to keep talking while Vec and Niamh made a get away, which would serve very well for all of them. He knew that if he wasn't careful he could lose the grip on all of them. Hah! As if. Vec was careful as could be, more so when a lot of people's lives hung in the balance.

He could see it now, Nexus had free Niamh and they were off and running. Well...that was a good thing wasn't it? His extended vision followed them as far as possible, and then when it ended that was it, he could follow them no more.

If only Vec had known what Nexus was thinking.

Thinking however, not like he would ever go through such a thing.

"That's good..." Nexus said as he gave her a once over. Yes, she seemed alright. Still...the hug was sudden, and he smiled lightly, patting her on the back awkwardly. "It wasn't my idea. Vec told me when to go. Saved just in time it seemed." Nexus smiled at her as he shrugged his shoulder, pointing somewhere over the grasslands. "That way I guess. We walk, Vec said we just keep going and we don't stop until we have to. If you want...you can try to sleep and I'll carry you." Honestly, he could just keep going, and going, and going. She might slow him down, because she might have problems after the smoke inhalation and the like. Sigh. Well, if it wasn't needed though, then he couldn't FORCE her to be carried...could he?

"Niamh...I'm pretty sure it will be faster if I carry you anyways." Then with a quick move he scooped her back up again. At least the pain in his hand wasn't as bad, and some of the cuts on his body were disappearing. This was good to say the least. "And...Niamh...I'm glad you're safe and that...you avoided touching my neck." She may not have thought he noticed it but he had actually. Nexus was sorta surprised that she had remembered his little...problem. However, he was...glad at the same time too.

"Come on Niamh. Let's get the hell out of here. Leave it all behind us." Then he began to jog, holding her in his arms and leaving the horrible memory behind him. Vec would find them after all. He had done it once before. No doubt the seer had a few games to play before he left anyways.

Vec smiled as he continued to where he was, but did stop when someone shouted it out. He reached out in front of him and began to pull the blanket down. It must have been a sight for sure to see, two poles just standing up suddenly. He folded the blanket it carefully and put it away into an expanding pocket. Nexus wasn't the only one with something that could hold many things. Smiling he turned around to look at the two people.

"Yes, that sounds about right. I have done what I need to do now. I have given you the light to see, whether you truly follow it or walk under the same path is up to you." Vec said as he kept his gaze steady upon Ket and Ishan. Well, they seemed to be...angry in a way? It was hard to say.

"Niamh? Oh she is safe now." He told the two of them. It was true after all. Nothing safer than being in the capable hands of a psychopathic murderer. Ah, Nexus was just misunderstood. Yes. That's exactly what it was.

"I am glad that you two seem to have gotten over the effects of the little sermon. Your friends still seem a bit flabbergasted. That is alright, to each their own. Hmph, as if a healer would have less to forgive herself for." He could see the aura around Ket, and for the most part, the energy that came with healing. At least, he hoped in this world the healing energy was the same as in his world.

"Now, the both of you, we must go over this carefully. Niamh is with Nexus now, and I tell you this now, they have grown a certain kinship together. I implore you to not go looking for her, your lives depend on that. You should be so lucky I was here, Nexus was planning on slaughtering your entire camp...and I almost believe he would have done it with ease. Ah think of the shame...twenty or so Lumenari, against one unarmed man. Worthy of the greatest Epic poem I am sure." Vec's voice was quiet, calm, collected as he spoke to them, not taking his blindfolded gaze off of them.

"I only hope you listen to my warning, and if you do pursue, you best hope you announce your presence to them before Nexus has the chance to catch your scent. He has been known to strip the flesh of his victims and eat them alive you know." One of the more...disgusting habits that Nexus had, but that was because Nexus could gain sustenance from almost anything. Not dirt perhaps, but if it once was food, or in the case of people, meat, then he could gain nutrients and energy from it.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go now. You two however are going to go back to the camp, and like your friends, you are going to disband, and go the ways of the Path. As I said, which path that is, I cannot say." And so Vec turned on his heel and he began to walk way. Of course, his hand was at his chest, the light encircled about his fist as he kept it there. Just in case they decided to attack. Or to say if the companion of the healer attacked, then there might be trouble. Vec wouldn't hurt the man of course, he would only subdue them with a few spells.

"Goodbye friends, I hope your lives are long and bountiful, and may your family extend a thousand years!" Vec called over his shoulder as he raised his glowing hand up to wave goodbye. Also to let the flash of light go, simply blinding most people who looked at it. This gave Vec time to pull the invisible blanket out and cover himself with it. Hee hee! He did so love to be so sneaky!

Rhindeer

“Yeah…just in time…any longer and I’d have been baked,â€? Niamh muttered in agreement, giving a light cough, still recovering from the smoke; nope, for all their affinity with fire and the like, Solisi had no immunities against the more adverse effects of their “giftsâ€?. Vec told him when to go, huh? Well, jeez, they’d certainly waited long enough, a whole day really, but now she thought she understood. Night made sense. After all, she’d been the one that had told Nexusâ€"and inadvertently showed himâ€"that Solisi were weak when separated from sources of light and heat. No, it had been a smart move on their part that they’d come in the night, because in the day time…that just would have been bad. They would have been at their strongest and Vec’s glowing light show might not have been as dramatic. So, that must mean that Vec had just been a distraction and that’s what had been up with the preaching? Alright. Made sense, and she couldn’t really be miffed at him about that anymore. Even if she did have a right to be irritated, she was still too worn out to make the effort.

Her eyes followed where Nexus pointed, over the grasslands that seemed endless, and her shoulders slumped as she suddenly felt even more tired. Oh…man. Keep going and don’t stop until they have to. It was a good plan because she sure didn’t want to hang around here, she wanted to get as far away from here as possible, to another country if it came down to it, she didn’t care. Anywhere could workâ€"as long as it wasn’t like…snowy and freezing because she probably wouldn’t last long there. But at this point, she had no home, no attachments anymore. Anywhere in the world could work for her, though hopefully for now they didn’t go too far. Just because she was tired of running.

Unfortunately, they’d probably have to continue running for a long time, but she could still dream about the future and being able to stay in a town for a few days without worrying about being hunted. Even better if they could find somewhere to call home.

…They…? Er. Whatever.

“Alright, then. Let’s just…keep walking then and…huh?â€? She blinked over at him blearily, then gave a tired smile and shook her head slowly. “Oh, ah, nah, it’s okay. Really, I’m alright. I dunno if I’d be able to sleep anyway, it’s a bit too bumpy and stuff and I don’t wanna…â€? Another small cough and she glanced away, looking back out over the grasslands and lowering her voice. “You know, be a burden or anyâ€"gah!â€?

Niamh only had time to yelp in surprise before she was scooped up yet again, and once more she didn’t have the energy to resist or protest except for a small bit of flailing when she was first being picked up--only because it had taken her off guard. Afterwards, though, she simply hung relaxed in his grip before sighing and looking up at him. She folded her arms over her stomach, a bit awkwardly. Guh, the guy was like a mind-reader, or he would have been if her body language weren't so damned obvious probably. "Er...never mind then."

Another time and she would have been embarrassed by it all, like if she were more awake and less stressed, but right now she couldn't be. Then again, right now she didn't mind it; she felt safe. Kind of like back at the inn when Nexus had consoled her...it was just one of those weird "in the moment" sort of deals and she wasn't going to think about it now.

"Heh. I'm glad too..." she mumbled in agreement, already leaning her head against him and closing her eyes, only nodding vaguely when he told her he was also glad that she'd remembered his neck issue. Yeah, that whole thing had stuck with her. Mostly because it was just unusual and memorable because of that, and also because, hey, she'd just committed it to memory because it was a mode of defense! Not that she was worried about anything now, obviously. Light no. She'd seen the best and worst of both her own friends and of Nexus, and now, more than ever, she really found herself trusting him. Really trusting him. In the course of a few weeks, he'd gone from a demented psychopath in her eyes to, well...a true friend and hero.

Already starting to drift off, assured that she could sleep, Niamh could only murmur in agreement as he finally began to jog. She might have found it all jarring earlier, but with flat grasslands ahead of them without all the crazy jumping and dodging, it was easier to drift off than she'd thought it would be.

Yeah...time to put it all behind them. Everything. It would be good to start anew.

Strangely enough, Ket didn't attempt to argue with Vec, not even when he told her that Niamh was safe with someone that Niamh had weeks ago described as little more than a terrorist. With a soft sigh, she nodded once, completely calm and collected, even if that mask did waver a bit when Vec mentioned Nexus'...habits. A grimace twisted her features for a second before she smoothed them over quickly.

"I wasn't going to follow her, not anymore. I just wanted to make sure that was the case; I hadn't seen where she'd went. I...she told me about the heathen, a little bit. She told me she was doing this because she wanted to. Niamh doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do, so I just have to trust her judgment on this," Ket answered, and looked back at Ishan. "In any case, we'll ensure no one follows. If the others do not share our sentiments, Ishan..."

"I can lead them on a false trail," he said, voice quiet. He seemed a bit distracted, probably still digesting what had happened.

Ket nodded again, seeming pleased, and looked back to Vec. "Trust me, I didn't want to see my friend die. None of us did. And...I think all of us are secretly happy that this happened. At least for the time being. I don't know what will happen in the morning, but you have my word: whether what you just did was sorcery or truth, you will not be followed." She paused. "Personally...I am convinced enough. And I will be returning home, though not with the Lumenari." She wasn't going to go into what she saw. Maybe she truly hadn't accepted what she had done and was only playing it off like she'd recovered. But whatever it was...it must have been damned convincing.

As Vec turned to leave, so she and Ishan also did, having no choice as the light blinded them. The same light that had opened their eyes.

"Keep our Sister safe."

Anonymous

"I sort of noticed. I was afraid we might get there too late and you'd..." He cut off the sentence, not really wanting to finish it. They had arrived in time, got her before the flames did, and managed to escape without the Lumenari giving chase. Vec was still going to see to that of course...at least he hoped he had. He wasn't going to be too happy with Vec if the Lumenari came calling quickly. He only wished his brother Rift was here...at least with Rift he could open a portal that would take them away from here quickly. Well, one step at at a time...saved Niamh, and now they got to live free...ish. There was no telling who would come for them.

Nexus had smiled, knowing exactly where they were headed really. To Arca, to the main city. Would they be safe there? In a sense yes. What they would do for a cover story was beyond him though. He knew Vec would suggest opening a tavern or something like that, and he had thoughts of a tailoring business. Maybe it would be better to live without a story? Just live there, in a house, hiding? No! He wouldn't hide, not from anyone. If the Lumenari sent in bounty hunters then he would take them all on. If only it was easier to break people's faiths...maybe they could just be left alone. That didn't seem like much of an option at this point though.

Heh, Nexus didn't listen to slaves after all. Not that...Niamh was his slave. He did wonder which of them was actually in power at this time. Niamh seemed to have a good hold on him after all...he had been ready to take on the entire camp of Lumenari just to free her. He didn't even know why...he just...knew that he had to. It was the right thing to do. He kept telling himself that but...the more he said it in his mind, the more he wondered if that was just what he wanted to keep telling himself...Ahem. No, it had to be the right thing, Vec had said so. Hadn't he?

"You're not really in a condition to walk. It's fine." Nexus however was in rather good condition at this time. He felt he could keep her in his arms and run for days. What had Vec done? He never felt this good after a trance...maybe Vec had someone made him fall asleep and...be completely refreshed? He wouldn't put it past the man though...the man. That's all Vec was now. Just a man. It showed too. Vec was using items and such to achieve his ends.

Nexus smiled as he looked down to Niamh. Poor girl could probably sleep a week. He wasn't one for upper body strength but...then again he had carried many corpses ove the years...She was by far one of the lightest bodies he had encountered in this time. Looking away from her he focused on the grasslands as he walked. One eye looking ahead, the other looking to the ground for any obstructions or holes. He wasn't going to be the one responsible for tripping and sending Niamh flying.

He'd never hear the end of it.

Not that he would mind. Things were no doubt going to be different.

A good kind of different.

Vec was glad to see that at least Niamh had a few friends amongst the Lumenari, or what could be called the Lumenari. With their faith shaken, there was no telling how many would stay the path and how many would leave. The sins of one could weigh heavy on the soul and the heart if they weren't careful.

"Oh it was the truth my dear. I make it a habit of not lying to people. I will admit that I used a bit of sorcery in it, I cannot help it when my eyes are involved but..." He just gave a smile and a shrug. Before leaving, his hand reached out, and he touched her, giving her a moment of the joy that Niamh had once felt. This was a bit of sorcery, but it was also what he called...filling people with spirit. "Free will to use as you wish, for good, for bad...I hope for good." Yes, Vec was a little bit pushy at times, he enjoyed it when people followed a path of happiness and individuality. Live for yourself, live for your happiness. Of course, if the Lumenari made someone truly...deeply happy...then they would no doubt stay with the Lumenari. He couldn't stop them.

As he disappeared under the blanket he could hear Ket call after him and he smiled. "The light of the heavens will shine upon her!" He called back. Of course at this point it was just a disembodied voice, echoing as he walked through the forest. Vec had a dramatic soul, and had the dramatic flair that some people lacked. It was just his way though, being so old, he knew how to make things...quote worthy perhaps.

Now. To find Nexus and Niamh. He knew which way they were heading. Nexus would find the nearest metropolis and hide within it, just as he always did. Nexus was usually easier to find in the open forests and grasslands, but in an urban setting he could be comfortable and...disappear really. Nexus had a strange resourcefulness to him as it were...however...now with Niamh it would be different. He might as well go to the registry board in the city and look for any house purchased by a young, odd, mismatched couple.

Yes, this was going to be...grand.

[Continued HERE.]