Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return to the Wild (Small Wonder!)

Started by Anonymous, December 04, 2006, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

If only he were a telepath he might be able to figure out what the young girl was thining behind those contemplative eyes of her. As he had spoke, he could see she was thinking, whether it was dismissing what he said, or trying to accept it he couldn't say for sure. All he knew is that she was thinking. That could be either good or  bad really.

He wondered if he had made sense. About how he loved it and hated it. He knew everything he did was wrong, but he loved it so. Ugh. He couldn't die, well, wouldn't stay dead. It was a horrible cycle that wouldn't end, so he just tried to live as long as he could. That would mean he didn't have to deal with seeing the Goddess again, and getting his memories given back.

"Cruel? She is...and she isn't. There has to be justice. There has to be a sense of right and wrong in the world. I admit, if there wasn't any justice, and no sense of right and wrong we would be just as fine. However, the Pantheons decree what they wish." Nexus shrugged his shoulders, he barely had noticed that she had stopped talking. His eyes watched her, wondering what she was going to say next.

"Y-you what?" He was confused indeed. He wasn't sure that he had heard her right. Did she say she actually understood what he was talking about? That was...that was a little unnerving actually. He didn't actually think she would understand him, or care for that matter.

"W-we have something in common? You'll...explain that to me won't you?" He said to her, a weak smile upon his face as he looked away, to the ground. He started to pace again, started to move around again. He felt antsy...he had to move for some reason.

"Punished? No...This is just my...pleasure. If I were punishing you, I wouldn't have stopped. My job is to punish the wicked and to right wrongs. If I were punishing you, this room would be filled with Drow and people who had a different religion than yours. As you can...somewhat see...it's just us." He looked around, making sure that was actually true. No one here but them.

He turned around and came over to her, looking at her carefully. Slowly he removed the noose from her neck, putting it away in his satchel. Might as well let her sleep now. He was careful as he untied the ropes from pillar. First her arms, well, her wrists, which he then tied together with one rope. He was nice, and carefully tied them in front of her body, so it wouldn't be too uncomfortable when she slept. Then he simply untied one of her legs so she could lay down comfortable.

However, to be very mean, he fused the rope together so it couldn't be untied. No knots. That was the greatest thing about the ropes being his own design and magic. He didn't want her going anywhere after all. For perhaps an added insult, or just because he could, he ran his hand up her ankle and outer thigh to give her rump a small slap with the palm of his hand. It was a simple gesture, and he even smirked as his hand fell away.

"Get some sleep now Niamh." It was indeed getting dark out. He headed into the darkness, well, darkness to her, toward the torch. He grabbed it, his eyes staring at the torch for a moment. It dimmed, until it gave off a very faint light. He returned to stand in front of Niamh, holding the torch. Things were barely visible now and he placed the torch on the ground near her. There was just a little light, to help her see just incase.

His hand was back into his satchel, and he was rummaging for something. Then...he pulled something out. Something very strange. It was a small pillow, one just for someone to rest their head on. He held it out to her, wordless as it were, his eyes looking to the ground, not focusing on her, but an interesting looking spot on the floor. More to the torch that emanated the soft light.

Rhindeer

Nexus' reaction was unexpected, to say the least. He sounded surprised, and that surprised <I>her, too, so much so that she couldn't say anything, could only watch him as he paced restlessly. Explain that to him? Oh boy...she didn't want to do that, really, because it would mean actually saying it out loud, and that would really force her to admit it to herself. But for a moment at least she was spared as he answered her question regarding punishment...and she was both relieved and scared by that answer.

On the one hand, she wasn't being punished. On the other, he was doing this solely because he <I>enjoyed it. For once Niamh was actually glad it was pretty dark in the room because she was pretty sure that she was paler than usual now, her eyes wide. Room filled with Drow...if this was bad, that would have driven her insane. It made her sick just to think of it... "That...is good to know..." She guessed.

Then he walked back over to her suddenly and removed the noose, and the strain in her limbs could once again be felt. But she wasn't focusing on that at all--she was focusing on what Nexus was then doing. Untying her wrists from the pillars. Kind of. Niamh quickly straightened her legs to support herself, having been pretty much just hanging there and letting her arms take her weight, too drained to bother holding herself up, and she watched wide-eyed as he worked. What was he...was he actually going to untie her? Once again, kind of. They were freed from the pillars, but he still tied them in front of her. Still better than nothing! And then he even untied one of her legs.

He wasn't letting her go...but with her hands in front of her, she could easily untie her--crap. There went that option, as he watched him fuse the rope, biting down on the inside of her cheek to hold in a frustrated groan. He seriously had too much experience with this...dammit...but it was okay, this was a start, after--

"Erk!" Niamh gave a violent jerk and convulsive shudder when she suddenly felt Nexus' hand travel up from her ankle and up her leg to slap her bottom, just like that, and with one leg free, her first initial impulse was to knee him right in the face, or somewhere else. Thank Goddess she was tired and her reflexes were shot, because that gave her a much needed moment to think before acting. So instead, she grit her teeth and gave Nexus a tense smile as his hand fell away, even though she really wanted to kick that smirk right off his face. This was not good...a pervert in addition to a sadist...

Light help her. When she wasn't worrying about getting cut or whipped she was worrying about getting molested.

"A-ah...thanks...Nexus..." she said slowly, for a moment just standing there, tense, as though afraid to move. But then finally she settled down on the ground where she'd been standing, not yet laying down, just sitting with her knees drawn up to her chest and her arms looped over her knees. Then she even scooted a little until her mended back was against the pillar she was still partially tied to. It felt a bit more secure to be all huddled up in a ball for the time being, as well as to have her back against something solid so she didn't feel like something might pop up behind her--like Nexus. She really hated the dark, and it was probably way darker in the room to her than it was to Nexus because she had horrible night vision. Her vision during the day was excellent and she could look at things that most people couldn't look at without seeing sunspots, but at night, she might as well be blind.

Being alone with Nexus only made it that much worse.

As Nexus told her to get some sleep, she only gave a small nod and watched him walk off toward the torch and pick it up. And then she did something she dreaded. He started to dim it, the shadows lengthening around her, her breath catching. Don't turn it out, don't turn it out...but he thankfully stopped, still leaving it lit a little, and she stared at the torch. At this point, Niamh couldn't really even see anymore, but she could still hear, and the growing light and sound of footsteps told her that Nexus was coming back with the torch.

Which he set down next to her.

Thank the Light.

On impulse, she uncurled herself and slid forward a little so she could be closer to that torch, finding comfort in it. She could see a little better now with it faintly lighting up the space around her, and she was about to just flop over and finally just give in to her exhaustion, but Nexus was still standing there, making her uneasy. Glancing up, she saw that he was holding something out to her though she didn't really know what, at least not until she cautiously reached out and took it with both hands.

...A pillow.

Blinking, she stared down at the thing between her hands for a moment, then looked back up to Nexus, then back to the pillow. A pillow. He...was trying to make her comfortable? Oh jeez...this really was confusing. Maybe she was going crazy. Whipped, cut, shocked, groped...and then he was giving her a pillow. Shifting a little and setting the pillow down on the ground, she stared back over at the torch. "...Thanks...again."

A small shiver ran through her, but she finally laid down on her side with her head on the pillow, facing the light source, and quickly curled up into a protective ball, shoulders hunched, body tense and motionless. She was laying down finally, but she felt anything but comfortable--and not because of the cold, hard ground which the pillow did make a little more comfortable. She wanted to sleep, but she couldn't...so...she decided to talk instead. That always helped.

"Nexus?" Her voice was quiet, hesitant, yet she started to speak almost immedietely after. "Um...about what I meant earlier...about us having something in common...well...I mean I serve my Goddess, right?" A yawn made her pause, and she blinked to keep her eyes open, focusing on that light.

"Sometimes...sometimes I had to do...and see...things I didn't really like. But I liked it, too...because it was all for Her, and I love Her...I love to serve Her, love what serving Her lets me do. It lets me travel...it let me meet some wonderful people, and...it's my duty. But...but sometimes I don't like what has to be done...too much..." Another yawn, and her eyes were drifting shut, her breaths becoming a bit deeper and more even. She nuzzled further into the small pillow, relaxing more as sleep started to take hold. "Even more so...now...but...it's duty, right...?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

((I'll skip to the next morning in this post as well, unless you have something dire you want to have happen after they sleep :P))

At least she seemed to like his answer about her being punished...The only person who was being punished was himself. He truly was sadistic...every time he cracked the whip or dragged the knife along her flesh he knew...He knew he was hurting himself more. He knew it was wrong, and it felt so good to do it. Nexus wondered if he would slip in to madness one day because of all this. Probably. Eventually the strain would be too great for his mind and soul, and he would snap. No doubt then the Goddess would fix him...Ugh. He didn't want to think on that too long.

His groping had been more of a test. He wanted to see what would happen. As well as to cop a quick feel, after all he was still a man. However, he was pleased by how she didn't hurt him, reprimand him, or squeak too loudly. He wouldn't tell her it was a test though, as that would ruin all the lovely little thoughts that could run through her mind.

Nexus had watched her move closer to the torch, seeming to find some solace in the dim light that filtered through the stick. He wasn't going to question that just yet though...it made sense after being locked in a dark place like this, just barely able to see.

A chuckle would have escaped his lips as he watched her look from him, to the pillow. She seemed quite confused by it really, and that was a good thing. Confusion was the only thing he had to go on now. Eventually whatever he did she would just accept, no matter how strange, how painful, or how gentle it might be.

"Just...sleep." He murmured to her as he bent down to pick up his coat. He opened it up a little bit, draping it across her. It must have been cold...he didn't really know. He never noticed the temperatures that much. He believed she might actually appreciate the gesture. Luckily he hadn't kept any weapons in the coat.

Then...she spoke. He was about to answer her when she called his name, but she started to speak afterwards. He took that time to move away from her, to step into the darkness, out of the light, till he was naught but a silloheutte in the darkness.

"Religion is a powerful thing Niamh. Very powerful. Whether backed by an entity that makes itself known, or one whose existence is questioned, there is no doubt that Religion holds true. We devote ourselves, because we desire purpose, we desire  to be a part of something greater. We do anything we must for our beliefs, because we hold them so close...that they must be true." He took another step back, trying to completely engulf himself in shadows. He didn't want to be near her at this moment, for he knew it was wrong.

"We follow blindly, our eyes ever closed to new ideas and new prospects. We'll never be free Niamh. We'll always be...slaves." It was funny to hear himself admit that he was a slave as well. It was at that point he turned away from her and slinked away from her, leaving about a good twelve feet between them. Then he fell to his knees, a hand pressed to his heart...and he began to pray.

"My Pantheon, protect me and guide me in my ways. May I be brought back to the Path, and may I forever walk in your footsteps. For Justice and Order, for Truth and Right...may I be damned." His words were quiet, trying to make it so Niamh would not hear him, but loud enough for the Gods to hear if they so chose to listen. He wasn't going to sleep yet...he would wait until Niamh drifted off...and then he would wait a little longer.

Nexus had managed to get a good five hours of trancing in. He hadn't moved from the position, kneeling but facing Niamh. Just in case she had tried anything. Slowly Nexus gasped as his mind awoke and body started properly. His eyes darted and focused upon the sleeping form of Niamh, a smile crossing his face. She...had stayed. She had stayed.

Slowly Nexus began to move, his knees first of course, working out the stiffness. Then his back, and arms, neck, and so on until he felt limber again. Ah. Much better indeed. A thought had occurred to him as his eyes stayed upon Niamh's sleeping form. Would she be hungry? He couldn't stay if he were hungry, his stomach was remaining quiet at this point. He eased himself down once more, sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him.

All he could do for the time being was watch Niamh. Well. Watch Niamh and rummage through the satchel at his side. One eye wandered down to look at the satchel while a hand dipped into it. He had food, but he decided he could let the poor girl sleep a while longer. He knew what would happen when she would wake anyways. First...she would wonder it was a dream. There would be the hope that followed until her eyes opened...and saw it wasn't.

He knew that feeling well. Every time he tranced, he wished he would wake up in his town with the Shaman looking over him and barking orders to do some menial chore. Never. Those days were gone of course. He pulled out from the satchel now a small beaten and battered looking book. It was old, almost as old as he was actually. Tattered, faded, the pages crisp and delicate. Slowly he flipped open the book to a new page, pulled a quill full of ink from his satchel...and began to write.

No more than an hour or so later he was done writing the days events. Every time he died and was resurrected he would read the book. Maybe trying to better himself, understand himself, change himself...or maybe...just to improve himself...whatever the case was...he would keep writing. The quill and book were slid back into the satchel and his eyes were turned back to watch Niamh.

Soon she would probably wake. Maybe they could talk more...Maybe.

Rhindeer

It was cold. Maybe not so much to Nexus, and maybe the temperature inside really wasn't so bad, but Niamh couldn't tell. She was cold and shivering a little, but maybe it was mostly from fear. That could certainly turn the blood to ice, and she curled in tighter to try and get more comfortable. One thing she certainly didn't expect was for Nexus to drape something over her which, after a jolt and a glance, turned out to be...his coat.

Which produced even more confusion. <I>Why was he being so...so...so suddenly nice? Luring her into a false sense of security? Having a moment where he hated what he did instead of enjoyed it? Just messing with her again? Oh jeez...it was like there was some strange switch in his head that she'd somehow managed to flip off...maybe that was the case, and the trick was keeping it turned off instead of activating it again. A scary thought. In any case, she really hadn't a clue, she just knew that it was jarring and she didn't know what to think about it. But she was also too tired to really think much about it at all right now except to note that it was warm, so she remained frozen where she was, not moving to adjust the coat or throw it off.

Instead, she just listened as Nexus spoke, frowning a little, her eyes closed. A part of something greater...hmm...guess they had something else in common...but...no, she wasn't a slave. She was never a slave...she wouldn't be a slave. Not to anyone...not to Nexus...and she certainly wasn't a slave to Mother Sun. She followed because she wanted to...because she loved Her.

She wasn't a slave...

When Niamh finally woke up, it was still a good ten minutes before she finally opened her eyes. For a while she just lay there with her eyes closed tightly, the pillow still beneath her head, the coat still keeping her warm, and the hard ground still below her, though she'd obviously moved around some in her sleep since she was more stretched out now and the coat was pulled up to just under her nose. Everything felt pretty much just as it had when she'd fallen asleep. It was quiet and she didn't really want to get up, to look upon her surroundings, because even though everything <I>felt the same as it had before she'd fallen asleep, there was still that chance that it had all been a dream, that she was inside her tent sleeping on hard earth somewhere--even though that was horribly unlikely. In fact, any weak hopes she might have had were quickly squashed when she went to stretch her arms and felt the rope that was binding her wrists together.

A shift of her legs, and she could feel the other rope keeping her leg anchored to the pillar.

Not a dream in the least. She was still a prisoner.

Well...much as she wished she could just keep on sleeping or pretending to sleep, in absolutely no hurry to face whatever this day was going to bring, she also knew that there would probably come a point where Nexus would just go ahead and wake her up himself. As it was, she was surprised that he'd even let her sleep like this and had allowed her to wake naturally, getting in as much sleep as her body needed. Yeah. It was best not to push her luck. Besides, as much as she was dreading the day ahead, the imagination was oftentimes worse. She'd rather just get the morning's confrontation over and done with than worry about what it was going to be like.

Her eyes blinked open, and...woke up to the very same darkness she'd fallen asleep with, the same faint torchlight filtering out into the blackness. Or, at least, it was blackness to her. Her breath seized for a brief moment, muscles locking, as a momentary panic and disorientation clutched her. Light, how much time had passed? It was still dark! What if she'd only slept a few minutes and where was Nexus?! But then she forced the air out through her nose, willed her body to relax, and after taking another deep and even breath she pushed up from her side and sat up on her knees, the coat falling off her, and looked blankly around the room. Calm down. Of course it would still be dark...the place had no windows. Only one door. Niamh gulped. Right, not a good thing to think about, ending that train of thought, besides there were more crucial things to think about.

Like where Nexus was. If he was still out of the light's range, well, she really couldn't see him at all. A normal human might have been able to see at least a silhouette, but to her, the space beyond the circle of dim light was little more than black, inky space. No shapes were distinguishable, nothing at all. That was certainly a good reason to be afraid of the dark, and it was one reason of many.

"...Nexus?" she called quietly, reaching down with both hands to try and awkwardly pull the coat back up, not something that could be easily done with bound hands. Niamh did it not only to give her something to do, because she was worried that he'd end up popping up behind her--which would not end well; she <I>hated when people did that as it was--but also because she was still a bit cold, goosebumps formed along the bare skin of her arms. She didn't really care if it was the coat of a man she despised--she just wanted to get warm right now, sitting as close to the torch as she could get and drawing upon that faint light as much as she could.

It was another effect that darkness had on her; even if the actual temperature was kept comfortable by the average human's standards, if she was exposed to the dark for too long without some exposure to the sun, she got cold and, after too long, increasingly weak. Fire, heat, and light were all sources of energy, of course, but they couldn't replace the sun...and the light source here was so frail.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Nexus was bored, antsy to say the least, but he had to continue watching her so she didn't make a getaway. He wondered what she would dream. He didn't really dream...he had nightmares of days gone by. Last night's was unfortunately one of the Drow woman. Ugh. He hated when he recalled that memory. It always made him sour. However, he kept his mood calm, he had to because he wanted to stay on Niamh's...good side.

After all, she wanted to try to be his friend...and he treated his friends right. Though he still had the unbearable desire to torture her, he curbed that feeling however, knowing he probably shouldn't. That would break down the very fragile balance and trust they had made. At least...that they were trying to make. He was taken from the thoughts however as he heard some rustling and straining, very odd sounds. He blinked, his eyes focusing as he watched her once more. She was awake, or at least, struggling in her sleep. Then...a voice broke the silence.

"I'm still here." He said softly, scooting toward her now and stopping just as the edge of the light. Nexus was rummaging through his satchel for something in particular. He knew she would be hungry, it made sense after all.

"I've...got some good by the way...and something to drink." His voice was soft as he removed a bit of cheese and bread from the satchel, as well as a wine skin. The food seemed to be perfectly fine too. He moved into the light, scooting on his knees as he sits down near her. He didn't mind being in the light...all too much. It seemed dimmer than he remembered which was a good thing for him.

His eyes were focused on her, and he frowned for a moment. She was cold. It was best not to get into the logistics of how he knew this, because it would no doubt anger her and make her distrust him even more.

"You're not cold are you?" He asked her, his head tilting to the side as he examined her. The coat should have been warm enough but...he honestly couldn't tell with her. It was hard to say since she was a human, and he wasn't close to such a thing. Though...he would soon rectify that mortality issue she had...once he could figure it. He would manage it, if anyone could it would be him.

A hand reached out to grab the torch. Slowly it released more light, illuminating him and the space around them better. She did so seem to like the light, so he might as well indulge her for the time being. He almost felt like releasing her, almost. Not quite. There still was much to be done no doubt.

Not that he could figure out what at this time. Damn he hated this sometimes...It was so...confusing...

Rhindeer

If Niamh had dreamed, she didn't remember them--which was probably a good thing, all things considered. While normally a light sleeper, and while she could normally recall her dreams, she'd slept solidly and deeply for once and now woke up feeling rested, if cold and stiff from sleeping on a hard surface. While staring into the darkness for Nexus, she had managed to pull the coat up and around her shoulders and to adjust herself until she was sitting indian style with her hands in her lap, since the floor hurt her knees. Fortunately, Nexus replied--softly, too, otherwise she might have jumped--and she couldn't help but smile though it didn't touch her eyes.

Of course he was still there...

She watched him scoot closer until she could make out his figure, and he was also rummaging through that satchel of his--where her dagger was somewhere within. She still didn't know how that thing worked...if you could fit all those random and huge things in there, and so much of it, how did you find what you were looking for?

No matter. Because then Nexus was pulling out some cheese and bread as well as a wineskin while announcing it to her, and she stared down at the things he laid out. So...now he was feeding and watering her. Light, if only she knew his motives...now at least she kind of saw where he was coming from--even if she didn't necessarily believe it all--but if she could understand what he was doing and why and where he planned to go with this...Goddess heathens were confusing, and she had the luck to get stuck with the worst.

She didn't touch the food for the time being, though. Instead, she just looked over at Nexus as he asked if she was cold, rather proud of herself for not moving even though he was uncomfortably close.

"Um...I am a little," Niamh answered, reaching up to tug the coat a bit more firmly around her shoulders, to try and cover her arms up a bit more since she couldn't rub the goosebumps away herself. Guess she really had them bad, but then again she was also shivering just a little. She wondered what it was like outside...was it the daytime, and how long had she been asleep? Was Mother Sun shining brightly right now? She watched as Nexus grabbed the torch which started to grow brighter.

With a sigh of relief, she let her shoulders slump, relaxing, and smiled a little, if weakly. Oh good...it would take a little bit, but it should be enough to keep her comfortable for a while if it stayed this bright in here. Of course, there would come a point where she would need actual sunlight, but for now this would do, and she could actually feel her body starting to warm up slowly, and she started to feel more awake. Shivering and huddling more into the coat, she finally just decided to try and explain it to Nexus. It couldn't hurt, and if nothing else...maybe, if she was lucky, she could convince him to at least open the door for a few minutes.

"It's probably not very cold, really, so there's not much you can do about it. I'm a Solisi, see. Darkness makes me cold if I'm in it for too long, and tired," she told him with a small shrug. "I need light, especially the light from Mother Sun. Heh, I guess I'm kinda like a plant...or a lizard," she added with a hint of a wry smirk, rubbing her cold hands over her face so she could pick at the dried mud that Nexus had spattered there the day before. Hopefully Nexus would get the hint, but just in case he didn't, she decided to add some more subtle hinting. "What time do you think it is, anyway?"

And as for telling him the extent of her condition? Well, that was all she planned on telling him; there was no way Niamh was telling him about how she was completely blind in the dark, lest he decide to use that against her somewhere down the road. He was behaving right now, amazingly, but she didn't trust that he wouldn't just explode again, or that he wasn't just playing with her.

Wiping her hands off on the knees of her breeches, she reached out then for a piece of bread, setting it down on her leg, and then for some cheese. As much as she didn't want to admit it, and as little as she wanted to accept food from Nexus, she was hungry, having not eaten since yesterday morning, and she did know that she would have to keep her strength up if she was to have any hope of making a break for it. The food looked decent, anyway...there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it. Besides, in a way, sharing food was another way of displaying trust, and by accepting it, she'd be showing that she trusted him. For this to work, he had to trust her...

Putting the cheese on the bread, she then took a bite of it. If it was poisoned or drugged, well...she was screwed anyway so it couldn't hurt. "Hm...stuff stays pretty fresh in that bag of yours, eh? Speaking of which, what's in that?" She nodded toward the wineskin, not touching it even though she was thirsty. She knew what the skin was, she was just, well, hoping it wasn't something alcoholic. Niamh didn't drink, she didn't like how it tasted, and, well, she was a light-weight, too.

Hopefully she sounded as casual as she was trying to be and not as nervous as she actually felt. It was hard...but she was trying.

Anonymous

"I see..." He smiled as he slowly got to his feet, holding his arms out. His eyes were actually closed as he concentrated hard. Small golden strands began to weave themselves between his hands, back and forth, up and down, making a strange looking garment. It wasn't until a few seconds later that a large blanket took shape, which he grabbed with both hands. It seemed to be rather thick, and even in the somewhat dim light it seemed to shimmer strangely.

He said nothing as his eyes opened and he sat back down, holding the blanket out to her. She would know what to do. He didn't want her to freeze after all. He had noted that after the torch had been made brighter she was more relaxed by it. He was indeed wondering about that but she spoke. It explained...everything to him.

"It's at least two hours before noon." He told her simply. He could see outside perfectly, just as if the building wasn't there. Nexus did want to seem like he had some mystical powers though, just to mess with her head a little bit.

He was glad she at least took the food, which was good. It made him feel like there was a connection between them, or at least...some trust of some sort. This was good. The bridge hadn't been burned quiet yet, there was hope wasn't there?

"Moonberry Juice." Nexus said to her with a smile. Now, he would probably have to tell her that it was alcoholic to some degree. It was a Drow drink after all, but didn't taste very alcoholic. That was one of the strange things about it really.

"It's made from berries that only grow in small forests underneath the ground in extensive labrynths. Special crystals give off a light that lets the berries grow. It's rather interesting. It's alcoholic but weak. Like drinking wine really." He told her with a smile. Maybe if she was good he might open the door for a few minutes for her...to recharge her energy.

"What if I were to...find a way to get the sunlight to shine onto you by reflection?" He wasn't going to risk opening the door, in case she was able to escape somehow. That would just be bad wouldn't it? Well, it would be bad for him at least.

"Because I might be able to do something like that...but eat and drink first, help regain your strength without the ...Mother Sun for now." Nexus was being nice for the most part. Even if he didn't believe their sun was a Goddess, he knew it was important to her, so he would be nice for the time being.

Rhindeer

Nexus surprised Niamh yet again, but once again it wasn't a bad surprise. He got up after she confirmed that she was cold, and then...there he went, doing something with those strings of his. As much as she had come to hate those strings of his, because those strings usually meant ropes that usually meant bad things for her, it was also fascinating in a way since she'd never before seen anyone with that kind of an ability. Well, except a spider, maybe.

In no time, even as she watched, a strange sort of blanket had taken shape, which Nexus was then holding out to her wordlessly as he sat back down, and after a small pause Niamh also accepted it silently. She set her partially eaten bread and cheese down on the ground beside her so she could wrap the new blanket around her front while Nexus' coat still covered her back, and for a moment she just studied the blanket. It was odd...it felt soft and thick, yet it shimmered. Strange how he could make something that was that pretty. "Thanks..."

Couldn't hurt to be polite.

She picked up her food again and was about ready to continue eating, but then he answered her question concerning the time, and she froze. How did he...? She quickly closed her mouth when she realized she was gaping, the bread raised halfway to her lips. And then she jolted and quickly took a large bite of her food, tearing into it a bit more aggressively than was necessary. If he hadn't answered so easily and confidently, as though he didn't even have to think about the answer, she might have thought he was just making it up. Hm...maybe he'd been outside? No, if he had, if he'd opened that door, she would have felt the light that flooded the room. After all, she was very sensitive to it, and even if it didn't wake her up she at least wouldn't be so cold now.

"How do you even know that?" Niamh asked once she had swallowed, looking back up at him while trying not to look too bothered by that. She was a little worried that he was psychic or something...it would explain a lot, like how she ended up running into him again.

That would be bad.

Niamh still wasn't touching the wineskin, but Nexus soon cleared up the mystery of what was inside it. Something that she'd never heard of, but he expanded upon that even more, and...that did sound interesting. Like something she wouldn't mind actually seeing some day, because she didn't actually mind forests if she was with somebody and they had adequate light. Of course, he opinion of Moonberries would no doubt have changed very rapidly if she knew that it was a Drow thing or, more specifically, that the drink Nexus was offering her was a Drow drink. Good thing he left that little fact out.

She still seemed a bit leery of it, though. It was still alcoholic after all, and she didn't want to wind up tipsy around Nexus. For now, she only nodded at his explanation yet held off. She was thirsty, but she'd wait.

"Huh? Oh...I guess that could work?" she answered with a frown, none too confidently. "I don't know, I've never heard of anyone trying something like that before--no need to--but...it's better than nothing." She took another bite of food, nearly done, and pondered it over in her head. Why couldn't he just open the door? It wasn't like she could run away because her leg was still tied to the pillar and the rope lacked any knots. And while she might be able to do some minor fire conjuring once her strength was back and the sunlight was on her, she didn't plan on trying to burn through the ropes right now--too risky with Nexus around and on guard, she wouldn't be able to bolt fast enough to escape his ropes, and then he'd probably be pissed. She just had to be patient for now and bide her time.

Figuring out some way to get the light to shine on her via reflections seemed a lot more complicated and time consuming than anything, but maybe he needed something to do. Well, something to do aside from threaten her and stuff, since for now he seemed like he really was taking her earlier words to heart. Best for him to keep occupied. If he got bored, that might be bad, and she knew she was getting ansty. She never had been one to sit around in one place for so long, and having her movements restricted only made her want to move around all the more.

"I'd appreciate it if you could do that, though...I really would." With that said, she finished off her portion of bread and cheese and, after a moment of hesitation, took the wineskin between her hands and pulled the plug out with her teeth. Alcoholic but weak...well, there was nothing else to drink, and the sooner she ate and drank, the sooner Nexus would apparently let her feel the light--he'd even mentioned Mother Sun properly instead of just saying "the sun" so disrespectfully like most heathens did. Hm...maybe she finally believed her a bit. Maybe that's why he was keeping her in such a dark place, he was afraid of revenge from her Goddess.

Niamh sniffed at the wine first, then took a sip from it and swallowed it down quickly, prepared for it to taste nasty--but was surprised to find it tasted fairly sweet, if a little bitter, but that could easily be ignored. Blinking, Niamh looked back over at Nexus and tilted her head to one side.

"You said it's weak, so you can't get buzzed off this, right?" she asked, feeling a little foolish immedietely after. Wasn't her fault, though; she wasn't a drinker, after all, she didn't know these things.

Anonymous

"It's...not a problem." At least he could be polite in return if she was polite. She seemed to appreciate the gesture at least. That was always a good thing. Ah he did love it when she froze up like that. It really meant he had surprised her even more. He wasn't going to give her the exact truth of it all, just make up a sort of lie that seemed plausible. He jerked a thumb over his shoulder towards the door.

"I watched the light from Mother Sun filter underneath the crack of the door. Then, I've been watching it grow brighter and change position. It's well into the morning, but not quite noon." Saying Mother Sun was odd, but it did roll off the tongue rather well. He wondered if there really was a Goddess, and if she would be insulted that he was calling her by her proper name. Well, no need to think on that right now.

"You'd still be getting Her light, but it would just take a little longer for you to do so." Nexus was already thinking on ways to get the ball rolling. He wanted to make somethign extravagant really, some very odd reflections that might help her out a little bit. He had encountered a race before that lit up rooms and building with mirrors and such. The Drow even had a system sometimes similar to that. Of course, he could use some magic to intensify the refelction instead of having it dim and fade.

"I'll see what I can do. With a few certain spells I might not even need that much light...Might even be able to make this place...brighter." He contemplated that, having the sun simply...light the entire warehouse up. Oh that would take skill, and time. Something he had a lot of. Heh heh. It would also be fun to see the look on Niamh's face when he bathed her in the light of Mother Sun with nothing more than some strings and ribbons.

"Oh you can still get drunk by it. However, the amount in that wineskin is enough to maybe dull the senses." Of course, he was going off of Elves and Drow he had seen drink the juice before, and they were experienced in drinking. Since he couldn't get drunk, he would just have to accept what they had told him.

"Now...let's see if I can't...help to bring Mother Sun a little closer to you." That is of course, without opening the door and simply giving away their position. No, that would end in some bad times no doubt. A fight, escaping from town and avoiding the Lumenari while stalking Niamh. Too much trouble.

Nexus stood up and walked into the darkness toward the door. He knelt in front of it, his hand running at the very bottom, where the light was just barely pouring in. He could see it, and it was bright, it almost outlined the entire bottom of the door. This would work perfectly. Slowly he laid out a silvery rope of some sort, one that was incredibly smooth and seemed to glow slightly as the light touched it. Ah, he hadn't used this sort of thing in a long time. The special rope would suck in the light from outside, then project it somewhere else usually of his choosing. Despite how it would shine ten times brighter, he knew he would need to string more about so the light could get to Niamh.

He watched the light hit the rope, then would somehow  travel upwards to the ceiling. Hm. He'd have to grow some ropes and such down from the roof wouldn't he? No matter, that was a simple task. He began to get to work, stringing ropes all around, bringing them down from the roof like vines in a jungle. Slowly he knew that it was getting bright in the warehouse, at least, where he was working. He had a total of ten vines stringing down from the roof and bouncing light off of each other, and three on the floor to direct it further towards Niamh. He kept making more of the strange silvery objects, letting them hang attached from the roof to bounce the light around.

It must have been at least twenty minutes later when he had to take a break, tired of creating all these vines and positioning them and making sure that they absorbed as much light then projected it out ten times brighter. Also, a lot of the light was starting to get to him, as instead of the soft golden rays that usually came from the sun, these were more of a soft white, the kind that would bounce off a field covered with snow.

After a quick break though he created one last vine, positioned it so light filtered in through one end of the rope, then was projected onto the sitting Niamh, bathing her in the soft white light. It was perfect, almost as if he had opened the door to try and illuminate the room. Slowly he took a seat, his face flushed and a bead of sweat on his brow. All that magic...at least he had his sleep time arleady. He would be good in a few minutes. Maybe some food would help.

A hand dipped into the satchel to remove a small piece of bread, which he quickly devoured to try and help regain his strength...Then...he rememebred why he was tired. He had done this for his...friend, Niamh.

"So did it...work?"

Rhindeer

He...was calling Her Mother Sun again...

Niamh nearly choked on the wine when she took another sip, surprised that he'd used Her name again. Was he...accepting Her? Or...what? After all, proper name or not, if you called Her "Mother Sun" you were as good as calling Her your mother, your creator, which is what Niamh and the other faithful Solisi believed--that Mother Sun had created everything, the good, the bad...She had even created darkness. After all, it was light that cast shadows. Hmm...she'd have to tell Nexus more, though then again, it might irritate him; she still remembered their old conversation from weeks ago and how he had mocked her faith. So confusing. Quickly, Niamh swallowed the liquid down without coughing too much, and then she just held the wineskin between her hands, which didn't feel quite so icy anymore thanks to the torchlight.

"That's how?" she asked, looking past him toward the small crack beneath the door, almost longingly, before turning to watch him again incredulously. Jeez...he was good. She couldn't tell what position Mother Sun was at in the sky just by looking at light beneath a door! Weird as it was, it almost made her, well...jealous, and annoyed. Here a heathen could tell these things and she couldn't!

That uncomfortable feeling quickly passed, luckily, as Nexus went on to explain, well, to kind of explain. Niamh had no idea how he was planning to accomplish that or what kind of spells he could use, but she was interested. While normally the thought of magic would unnerve her (as the Solisi ability to control fire, heat, and light wasn't considered by them to be magic), and especially the thought of Nexus using his strings, at the same time she was curious and a little fascinated. Nexus seemed to have an ability to control light to some extent; after all, he'd lit that torch and controlled its brightness, something Niamh wasn't yet skilled enough to do. And something she also tried not to think much on, because that also made her a bit irritated.

Goddess...as much as she loathed him, his story had also stuck in her head, as well as those small similarities that she'd pointed out--dammit. That "Goddess" of his tortured him so much...she made him that way. She still wasn't convinced that it was an actual Goddess, but whatever entity it was, it was obviously bad and had him enslaved. If Nexus just abandoned that idol of his, he could be cleansed--and that would work well for the both of them, wouldn't it?

Crap, she was not feeling actual sympathy for the man just because he had shown her some random kindness by, well, healing her from wounds he had inflicted and treating her relatively well in a horrible situation that he was responsible for. It made <I>no sense! It was just...she didn't even know. It was best not to think about it.

Of course, that small bit of sympathy she felt would have probably evaporated back into pure hatred if she had known what was going on his head right about then, concerning strings and ribbons.

"Really? Hmm. That's good to know..." Niamh tilted her head and looked at the wineskin contemplatively. Only enough to dull the senses a bit, huh? Okay, that was a relief, then, because it didn't exactly taste bad and she really was thirsty after all that struggling and running and sweating the day before. She also hadn't drank anything since a few hours before she'd been captured and hauled off to the warehouse, yet if the amount in the wineskin had been enough to get her even a little drunk, she wouldn't have touched it at all. Reassured and completely unaware that Nexus couldn't get drunk and that the information he was relaying came from experienced drinkers, she continued to sip at it.

She'd have to ask Nexus for water or something later, when he wasn't so busy. But she was also reluctant to ask. That would probably mean him leaving for a bit, which either meant she'd be left behind and tied up to ensure she couldn't escape, or he'd take her with him as that "Tiama" thing. Ergh...

There was no time to worry about it, though, because soon enough she was thoroughly distracted as Nexus finally went to work.

Holy Mother...

Niamh didn't know how he managed to do it, but the room started to fill with light, and all seeming to come from that small crack at the door. But if she'd thought that was amazing, well, Nexus was soon going all out, hanging those strings from the ceiling like vines, a few on the floor, and all she could do was gape and watch, and for the first time since being taken captive she was completely without fear. Wonder replaced that, Mother Sun's light flooding the dingy warehouse, and the place started to look, well...a little surreal and far more alive with those silver vines projecting light everywhere. The room was no longer a dark, mysterious place where hidden dangers lurked, and the space suddenly didn't feel quite so confining. The walls were still there, yes, and that sense of being shut in was still there, but there was no longer all that suffocating darkness,

It didn't seem like a long time had passed, everything seemed to move so quickly, and her body was starting to feel warmer already. She waited patiently as he took his break before finishing up that final vine--and soon after her body was flooded with light, and she couldn't help but close her eyes in relief and even pleasure as warmth and strength coursed through her, a sense of completion filling what had once felt empty. Nothing was better than this, simply basking in sunlight--even if she wasn't outside. It was as close as she could get, and this light still came directly from Her.

After a moment she opened her eyes, shifted the blanket off her and shrugged off Nexus' coat, no longer needing them. It wasn't that she was hot; she just felt completely comfortable now, alive. Of course, the downside was that she was also full of energy and, well...she was forced to remain stationary. Oh well. Couldn't win them all, and she was grateful for what she got at this point.

Hell, she even managed a small grin over at Nexus as he sat down looking pretty beat. The sunlight had obviously brightened her spirits--though the half-empty wineskin that she held might have played some part in that, too. "Perfectly," she answered, still smiling, not even squinting in the light. "I don't know how you did that, Nexus...but...yeah, I'm not cold or anything anymore." She stretched a little, arms over her head, and drew in a deep breath. "Thank you, really."

As much as she may not have wanted to admit it...Nexus had done some elaborate work just to bring the sunlight in for her, to make her comfortable. He hadn't had to do it. He could have just been a sadistic bastard about it like he had been in the beginning. But instead he went through all that trouble...and...

It really was strange...

Anonymous

"A thousand years of sunlight and darkness tends to give you certain abilities." He told her simply. It was true though, if he couldn't see throught he walls, he could have done just that, watched the sunlight. However, making her believe he was greater than he actually was made him feel better about himself really.

"Don't worry about it. It's juice some fermented juice meant to help calm nerves for the most part. If I had wanted to get you drink, I would have given you the wineskin with the red cork. Heh. It's full of a very powerful alcoholic drink known as Wraith Ale. Very interesting concoction, one quarter liquid, three quarters of an intoxicating fog that you inhale." He smirked slightly as he watched her drink the juice. That would, as far as he knew, not get her drunk, just a little tipsy. He thought about giving her somethign stronger, but decided against it at this point.

He was glad though that it seemed things were working when the light bathed her. She even shrugged the blanket and coat off. That was...well that was good to see. Good to know that she was getting better now. It was good...really good. She even seemed to be getting better, which was a very good benefit no doubt.

"It's the strings. They absorb light, and then projects said light in a different direction. They also manage to magnify the light so it doesn't dim or dull it." Nexus explained quietly to her. He had to get his energy back right now, and all this...talking wasn't helping. The sun was actually helping a little bit as well, as the magic was slowly coming back to him as he sat there motionless.

"You're...welcome." Nexus was happy that she was doing better now. He wasn't going to let her go just yet, but he was thinking about doing something to give her a bit more freedom. Yes. He could give her more freedom...Not now. A little later though. He wasn't going to let her legs go free, but he was going to perhaps let her hands go. What could she do anyways? The rope binding her leg was rather strong anyways.

"I'm glad it's helping you though. Even in this...very strange situation you should be comfortable." He would get comfortable soon, after his magic returned to him. For now though he was happy to help her out.

Happy? That was an odd feeling. He wasn't beating anyone, he wasn't torturing, slicing, or doing any of the usual things that made him happy. Yet here he was...tired, but content. That probably wasn't a good thing. He wasn't changing because of anything this woman said? Yes...she said she would be his friend...Friends did things for other friends, and felt good about it. That's what he had been told, and that's what he felt...Hm. So very interesting.

Rhindeer

Just meant to calm the nerves...well, she supposed that explained some things, like why she felt so relaxed and calm now, though that was also probably due to the sunlight and Nexus' strange change in attitude. Niamh did, however, raise her eyebrows slightly when Nexus talked about that Wraith Ale stuff, and she quickly made a mental note to herself to remember to never accept anything from him that had a red cork. She paused in taking a drink of the juice, then swallowed what was in her mouth, lowered the wineskin, but didn't cork it because that would just be too much of a hassle with her wrists tied together.

"I'll remember that. Red cork, got it. Do you actually drink that stuff? I've only been drunk once and I know that one time was enough for me, don't see how people can actually enjoy getting wasted," she said, deciding that now was a good time to stop drinking, even though she didn't want to. She was starting to feel a little strange and she knew when to stop--the last time she'd drank, and also the first time because the occassional sip here and there didn't count, she had been with the Lumenari and she didn't know when to stop, didn't know the warning signs. So, she ended up with a horrible headache the next day and just knew she was being punished for her stupidity when the light hurt her eyes and head and made her want to die. So, that had been the end of that! It wasn't worth it to be miserable over a drink that tasted gross anyway.

Soon her question as to how the heck Nexus had managed to pull that off was answered, and then she nodded slowly. That...was convenient. She tilted her head back to look up at all those silver "vines", noting that the warehouse, overall, looked better now. Or better than it did in the dark. Was this place seriously abandoned? Vaguely, she wondered if anyone ever even came here anymore...it was run down, but still.

That would have been nice.

Pushing some hair out of her face, she looked back to Nexus. "You can make those strings do anything, can't you? I mean...I guess you're the first person I've met who can do stuff like that. Never would have imagined simple threads could do things like this." It was certainly better than the uses he had put them to before. But she was trying not to think about that at this point. She felt calm now, and that was better than being afraid. Helped keep up the act, too. Niamh nodded at Nexus when he answered her "thank you" politely.

He looked surprisingly drained, she noted.

"Huh?" He was...glad it was helping? She should be comfortable? She...didn't know how to even respond to that, but at least he acknowledged that it was a strange situation? Because it really was. "Ah...well...I am comfortable. I mean, as comfortable as I can be, all things considered. I'm pretty used to sleeping on the ground and roughing it...only we had tents, not warehouses. This is a little fancier than what I'm used to." She gave a short laugh, not a nervous one like before, and stretched her free leg out in front of her when it started to get cramped. Oi, she wasn't used to just sitting around...she felt like standing and pacing.

She could stand at least, but for now she forced herself to remain sitting.

And then she kind of surprised herself. After a moment of silence, she suddenly turned and held the wineskin out to Nexus, since she couldn't cork it herself and he looked kind of beat, anyway, after everything he'd done. There was only about a third of the juice left, but he might appreiate a drink. But then, as though to rationalize that action in her head, she looked off to the side and gave her shoulders a shrug. "Hm...want the rest? I never drink, you know...I'm already feeling it a bit, so I probably shouldn't have more. Do you have any water by any chance?" Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have any and she'd have a chance to be alone. Or maybe that satchel was packed with stuff. She had no idea. What about food, too? How long would that last? Well, guess she'd find out.

Anonymous

"Hah hah, people drink to forget or to do things without consequence. I'll never forget and I don't have a real big conscience so I don't need alcohol." He said to her with a shrug of his shoulders. He didn't want her to know about his ability to not get drunk. That might end badly for the time being.

He smiled though at her as he slowly lay onto his back, one hand over his eyes. Damnit. He forgot that didn't help at all. Ugh. Sometimes he wished he couldn't see, but the only way to do that would be to take his eyes out and even then...he was sure that wouldn't anything.

"People laugh when they hear my powers but...they respect them once they find out what I can do. Mages think they are all that because they can do magic and shoot things from their hands or conjure them but...I can make a thread and lay it for an entire mile and have a fireball explode from one end or even see what's going on at that end. Heh. Let's see a mage pull that off." He told her with a small chuckle. Ah he did love his magic, but he had no idea why it did such a thing. Not that he cared of course.

He barely heard the little utter that left her mouth, simply ignored it for the time being. That is, until she spoke, and he laughed along with her.

"I could have made you a hammock...maybe I'll do that tonight if I'm not too tired." That was the honest truth too. He could have made some ropes to suspend her from the ceiling just like a hammock did, or even between the pillars like...a spider. Huh. He should just spin himself a web sometime and see what happens.

"Hm? No, I already had something to drink." He was lying, but of course, he was good at lying at this point. He smiled though as he reached into the satchel, pulling out another wineskin with a blue cork in it.

"Water, still cold as well." He said with a small grin. He held it out to her and blinked once. The ropes around her wrists disappeared, but the ones about her legs just strengthened in reality. However, she wouldn't be able to see that, as the inside had become steel.

"That should help you out just a little more." He really couldn't believe he had just done that, and he wanted to go back on it but...he wanted her trust. This was one of the big steps to showing her that he trusted her. Hopefully she would appreciate it, and not exploit it instead. No...that would be very bad for her.

Rhindeer

Niamh couldn't help but snort a little at that. Didn't have a very big conscience...yeah...like he needed to actually tell her that! She'd kind of learned that first hand. But she just smirked a little and shook her head. "So I've noticed. Hm. For someone who doesn't need alcohol, you certainly seem to carry a good bit on you, though," she went on conversationally. Probably so he could drug other people, though she wasn't going to actually say that! Mostly because she didn't want to know if that really was the case, but also because she didn't want to anger him. So far, everything was going surprisingly smooth, and...Light, even talking to him was easier. Yeah, that had to be the juice's work.

She watched him lay down and then listened as he talked, giving a small nod. After everything she'd seen him do thus far, the fact that he could also do things like that wasn't surprising in the least. Plucking at the fabric of her breeches, which was torn in places like the rest of her clothing, thanks to Nexus, she remembered what she'd first thought when he'd demonstrated his powers for her. "I didn't laugh about it. Then again, you made a noose when you first showed your powers off. Then later gold. Then...well, you know." She gave him a pointed glance, then shook her head. "Seemed like powerful magic to me right from the start."

Powerful magic that could both terrify and harm and, well...bring in the sun and make a shimmering, golden blanket.

Or a hammock?

"Really? Oh...well...you don't have to. I mean, I'm used to sleeping on the ground. This is nothing, really. What was something was when we ended up sleeping in this one place in the desert. Rocks everywhere. That wasn't fun." Which was the truth, but she was mostly just talking for the sake of talking, and...it wasn't like she would mind a hammock--the ground did still make her stiff--but she wasn't so sure she trusted Nexus' methods. Knowing him, he might end up tying her to the hammock.

When Nexus declined the juice, she just set the wineskin beside her and propped it up against her leg. He had? she hadn't noticed, but...she'd also been pretty distracted by the light, too. It was probably for the better if Nexus remained tired, though...she'd just thought that it couldn't hurt to keep on his good side and ensure he stayed in this surprisingly good mood of his. Damn...she didn't know what it was she'd said or done, as much of the previous day was a blur, but she really hoped she didn't do anything to set him off again. She still didn't know where she'd gone wrong the first time. Granted, she had tried to escape from him out a window, just because she hadn't wanted to spend anymore time around a heathen, but she hadn't thought she was being that bad.

"Jeez, how much stuff do you have in there?" Niamh asked as Nexus offered the water, and she blinked rapidly and reached out to take it--and it was then that she noticed how very free her wrists suddenly were, the ropes gone completely. Her breath hitched and she pulled back, not yet taking the wineskin, so she could feel along one wrist, as though to double-check that she was actually free and they weren't just invisible or something, and then her next thought was to reach behind her quickly and feel along her back. Her shirt was shredded back there but she slipped a hand under the material...and bit the inside of her cheek to keep quiet.

She could feel the new scars where the skin had once been smooth, as well as all the dried blood that flaked off under her touch. It was all done very quickly, almost as though she just had an itch that she'd been dying to scratch, and Niamh drew a deep breath and jerked her hand away before reaching out to take the wineskin. She didn't even bother to feel for the other marks on her lower back--they'd be there.

Dammit...those things would be there forever...

But, no thinking about that for now. Right now, her hands were free, so...she just had to take the good with the bad, and, well...when she thought about it, it would probably be worse if she came out of this without those scars. It wasn't that she liked them; Light no. But all the same, it was kind of proof of her ordeal. In any case, there was no use in worrying about what couldn't be undone, right? And right now, she was just that much closer to getting her legs freed, showing that her efforts were paying off. She just had to think about that.

"Whoa...yeah, that, um, helps a lot. Thanks, Nexus," she said, still clearly surprised, as she first corked the Moonberry juice wineskin before uncorking the water and taking a sip, even though she wasn't really thirsty anymore. Then she corked it again, brushed her hair away from her face, and stretched out onto her side, one elbow propped up on the little head pillow and her cheek resting against her hand. She was quiet for a long moment, thinking...and then she raised an eyebrow slightly. "So...er, what is it you do for fun? I mean...when you're not...you know...doing your justice stuff or..." She gave a small cough and rubbed at her temple with her free hand. "...Stuff like this."

It was best to just keep the conversation flowing. Her attempt at conversation was awkward, but the silence was even more so.

And she really was hoping that there was more to him than just...doing stuff like this.

Anonymous

"Alcohol is a good preserver, and helps to clean wounds as well. It can come in very handy when you least expect it. I have more non-alcoholic drinks though actually, a lot of juices, flavoured waters, different aged waters, and a whole bunch of other strange concoctions." Nexus said with a rough laugh as he looked over to her.

"Well...I know you didn't laugh at it...some do though. That's why you have to demonstrate your power sometime." He told her with a small frown. Nexus wasn't sure what to feel about it, whether to be proud or disappointed in himself. He didn't want to dwell on that though.

"Maybe I would like to? I mean...I can't...let you go...but I can make this place comfortable you. Keep that blanket around you though. It'll slowly absorb the sunlight and then when night falls it'll keep you warm." He told her with a small wry smile on his face. He had wanted it to just keep her warm, but it would absorb the heat from the sun.

"A lot of stuff really. The pocket of space that has been fit inside the bag is quite large, I don't know how large, but I've collected a lot of junk over the years." He told her with a small grin. He kept the grin as she realized her hands were now free, but it faded when she touched her ripped clothes and back. He looked away from her, staring intently at the ground. He had done that to her. He couldn't fix the scars, and they were there for good. One large N...and then the initials NS.

"Yeah it's...no problem at all."He still wasn't looking at her though, he was staring at the ground intently. That would serve as a reminder to him for sure. Whether it was a good reminder or a bad one he couldn't say. He almost felt like giving her a dagger to write her initials in his back but...then decided against that. He might do it himself later...

"I...create clothing, practise my magic...read...write in my journal...meditate...try to play the flute..." He told her quietly. If she looked close enough she might even see a faint blush appearing on Nexus's cheeks. He looked at her, smiling an awkward smile as she shrugged his shoulders.

"Just...little habits and hobbies I picked up. I even learnt how to carve wood but...I haven't done that in several hundred years. Heh. You pick up a few hobbies and interests when you live so long." It was true too. He knew quite a few vampires who had learnt to paint, act, dance, and play an instrument. That's probably why he was learning the flute at this point.

"What about you? What do you to relax and unwind?" Maybe while she was asleep he could acquire some things to help her feel more comfortable. That would probably be a nice gesture that would go a long way with her. He would like to make her as comfortable as could be, to stop her from wanting to escape and leave him here. After all, they were friends now.

Rhindeer

That was true, but she'd never thought about that, about the healing or cleansing properties of alcohol. That made more sense. It was certainly better than the stuff her imagination had come up with. Niamh did raise her eyebrows a bit, though, when he mentioned he had more non-alcoholic drinks than alcoholic, considering the first thing he'd given her was alcoholic. Well, in that case, it was probably a good thing she'd stopped drinking...unless he really had been innocent about it and had just given it to her to loosen up, in which case it had worked.

...Ahaha. Him? Innocent? Er, right.

"I guess that makes sense..." she said as he spoke more about his power, but she didn't say any more than that, dropping it just as he did. What she really wanted to ask, though, was why he felt like he had to demonstrate it to her. She hadn't been threatening him or anything back there...oh, wait, maybe she had. She suddenly remembered what he had said, about why he had been so keen on hurting her to begin with. Because she had been proud, brave, and arrogant.

Maybe that really did intimidate him...hmm...

"Well...if you want to, I'd like that. If you're not tired and whatnot," she told him, reaching down so she could take a hold of the blanket before, after a moment's pause, just laying it across her legs as she laid there on her side. Just to ensure that it remained with her in that circle of light, as suggested. That was an interesting trick...so it would remain heated even in the dark because it absorbed the light. She pointedly ignored, or at least pushed from her mind, the part about him being unable to let her go.

Instead, Niamh just listened to his explanation of his satchel, not really understanding it. Pocket of space? How did...? Ah, probably best not to ask and to just accept it. After all, she saw how it worked. "A thousand years worth of junk?" she asked with a vague smile that also faded when she noticed Nexus' grin had vanished and that he was studying the ground, his words seeming to match. For a moment she was worried that she'd said the wrong thing, but then he finally spoke up again, answering her question.

And his answer surprised her.

He what?

Niamh realized she was staring as Nexus listed the things he liked to do, the most surprising of them all being that...that he liked to meditate, that he kept a journal, and that he...played the flute. For some reason, she couldn't picture him doing <I>any of those, but then again, given her experiences with him, that was a given. And...and was he seriously blushing? That smile was certainly awkward...but she supposed it might be a bit embarrassing. Big, tough, evil heathen who kept a journal and played the flute. So he'd lived a thousand or so years. It was still kind of...funny. If very--

"That sounds surprisingly normal..." she blurted without meaning to, her lips twitching slightly upward, but she quickly cleared her throat and smoothed out her expression. She would not laugh at him.

Argh! why the hell would she want to laugh, anyway? She was trapped here!

"Ahem. Right, sorry. Ah, well...I like kinda stupid stuff, I guess. I like to make sand paintings though I'm not very good at it if I don't have a pattern to follow--ever seen that, making designs with different colored sand? Ah...you probably have. Takes a lot of concentration and time, though. I like running and sparring for fun, wrestling, practicing with my staff..." Which was, of course, currently put away in that satchel. "That always wears me out and relaxes me. Horseback riding...practicing with my gifts...I have to practice that a lot, because I'm still weak in my gift." She meant magic, her ability to manipulate fire, light, and heat, but the Solisi didn't call it that, didn't put it on the same level as that stuff the heathens waved about.

"Hm...I tried fire dancing some back in Solis. That was fun, too, just...not for me. I'm too clumsy, almost set myself and my friend on fire the second time I did it. I'm not very artistic I guess, but I like trying new things, giving it a shot at least, even if I screw it up royally, which I usually do," she said with a small chuckle and a light shrug, rubbing the back of her neck. "I like animals, too...I always had pets. Never had a dog or a cat or anything like that because they made my mom sneeze, but I'd sneak in snakes and lizards. They never liked that." She looked down at the ground, for some reason feeling, well, kind of stupid.

All the things she liked, she realized, were very physical and hands on whereas Nexus' interests seemed more...intellectual. He meditated, for Goddess' sakes, something she couldn't do because it made her fall asleep. And he was a heathen.

It almost wasn't fair.

But Niamh shook off the thought quickly enough and instead just pulled the blanket up a little more, until she was cuddling into it. She may have been perfectly warm, but she had a thing for blankets. If there was one around, she was bound to end up snuggling it, whether she initially realized it or not. They were just so comfortable and soft...she couldn't help it. "...Learned any songs yet? On the flute, I mean."

Yeah, she likely wouldn't get over that one for a long time.

Anonymous

He really wasn't thinking about getting her drunk. He was just thinking about trying to get her to relax and not be so tense. If he had wanted to get her drunk, he could have used something stronger than Moonberry juice. It was just an innocent little gesture to her.

Heh. Innocent.

"My power slowly returns. By the time night falls once more I'll be able to make a hammock." Nexus told her, his eyes flashing over to look at her. She even pulled theblanket up, which was a good thing. He wondered if he could make that blanket release light at night instead. Hrm. No, that would drain him too much.

"Anything I find interesting I'll put into the satchel. Rings, neckalces, jewels, strips of strange cloth, bark, moss, sticks, weird egg shells, whatever I can get my hands on. That and food and drink." He still didn't look at her though when he answered that particular question.

He looked over at her when she told him that was really normal, and he chuckled.

"Like I said, you pick up habits when you live so long." It was true, whether they were good or bad habits it was hard to say really. He had picked up some very strange habits and hobbies to amuse himself over the long treks that he made.

He listened to her now, while she told him about her hobbies. Yeah, he never would have guessed that she would loved to spar and wrestle. Never would have guessed that! He didn't expect her to like snakes and lizards though...or pets. Nexus smiled as he watched her, grinning a little bit.

"I've...learnt a few songs. I don't know how good I am though." He reached into the satchel, removing a copper flute from it. He brought it to his lips which were pursed slightly, and began to play. His fingers moved along the small buttons, a rather melodic tune starting to fill the air. His fingers danced along the flute's surface, pressing buttons gently.

The song was slow, drawn out and morbid almost. It was a song usually played at a funeral in his home realm. However, it was reserved mostly for Dragons and Fae folk. The song was brought to a close with a final note and he rested the flute in front of him.

"I would actually complete the full song, but as this is a dragon tune, it goes on for about five days. Never go to anything hosted for or by a Dragon or a Fae, because it will last for days." Nexus told her with a small laugh, shaking his head.

"Maybe uh...Maybe one day you can show me that fire dancing of yours."

Rhindeer

"Oh...okay. Thank you, then. Just...you're not going to tie me to it, right?" Niamh asked with a grin to show she was joking, even though she was actually worried about that. She'd already gained a lot of freedom, after all. "I mean, I'd just rather fall out of it if it flips over than hang upside down for a few hours."

She listened as he described what he collected, blinking slowly. Eggshells? She shook her head and chuckled a little--damn alcohol--only nodding when he said one picked up strange habits after living for so long. That was true enough; after too long, you'd probably start running out of things to do. Still, it was amusing. It sounded more like something a little kid would do than a heathen that apparently had a thing for targeting women. Still, it was a little...refreshing, would that be the right word? Something like that.

And it was also very strange and confusing. It was like...if she could forget that he was a heathen and if he had never done all those things to her, if she wasn't currently being held prisoner, if all that was just stripped away, he was the type of guy that she liked to hang out with. Because she found those types of things to be interesting, too.

Of course, all that wasn't the case and everything that had been done wasn't just going to magically go away. Her back was scarred because of him, she was locked up in a warehouse, he was a heathen, and she was still scared, if more relaxed and even if she could at least understand where Nexus was coming from. She was away from her people, away from her home, and she had no idea what the next few days or even hours would bring. She couldn't forgive him, didn't want to anyway, and even if he had never done any of those things she couldn't associate with his kind. That's why she had fled him in the first place, a month or so ago.

And yet she was still confused. Which shouldn't have been the case. She should have downright hated him, no confusion involved there...

Niamh sighed quietly when he brought out the flute and started to play, and the tune seemed fitting for her mood. But he played well, regardless of what he thought, or at least she thought so. Then again, she'd never heard the tune before so she couldn't really judge.

"Five days?" she asked with an incredulous laugh when he was done, sitting up, though she was still holding the blanket against her. "Oh man...well, it sounded good to me, but no wonder you know only a few songs, if you've been learning ones of that length. I'll remember not to attend any of those. Not that I know any dragons or fae...I don't think I'd want to, either. Not a fae, at least. These fae I've heard of remind me a lot of the djinn we have in the desert, and those are not to be messed with. They hate humans."

What Nexus said next...well, it both scared and excited her. On the one hand, it made her wonder just how long he was planning on keeping her, a scary thought indeed...but on the other, it showed that he was contemplating untying her completely. Eventually. Maybe not soon, but it was the thought that mattered, and just that he was thinking it was something. Her blue eyes widened a little, but then she just smiled and sat up straighter, brightening a bit.

"Really? Hmm, maybe, yeah...like I said, I'm not very good. But it is fun and it's sort of a tradition where I come from, to honor Mother Sun and defy the moon. Ah, I'd just need a long staff of some sort to do it, some wicking material, and some alcohol to use as fuel, though it seems you have plenty of that. Might turn the flames some fun colors, too, depending on what's in them...pinks, blues, greens..." Of course, she wasn't assuming he would be letting her do this any time soon--that would be hoping for just a bit too much too soon. After all, to do it, she'd need her body completely free and she'd also be using some pretty lethal materials. If he ever let her do that, it would show that he trusted her completely.

It was true, though, that she used staves when she did it and, in fact, that was the reason that a staff was her weapon of choice. It hadn't been too much of a stretch to progress from using a staff as an instrument to using one as a weapon, and when the bladed ends of her staff glowed, it did give off something of the same effect. But fighting with one was still different from dancing with one--it didn't require any grace or rhythm, so that was perfect for her.

"Yeah...I wouldn't mind showing you someday."

Anonymous

"In a hammock you might tie yourself up. Those things can be death traps sometimes." He laughed along with her, enjoying this sort of banter. It was refreshing from asking her strange things and then whipping her everytime she said the wrong time.

"Dragons and Fae tend to live for a very long time, so it makes sense that their festivities would last for so long." He told her with a shrug. It was true, creatures who lived long...well...they tended to have longer parties. Ugh. He remembered that vampires had parties that could last for weeks. That had been...interesting.

He did know that he would have to release her if he wanted to see her dance...and he was alright with that. Somewhat. He was going to keep an eye on her for sure of course. It would be nice to see it, and even if she tried to attack him...well...he could overpower her and take her down.

"Well, I would like to see it, and I'm sure some of the alcohol would make for some interesting colours..." Maybe when it got dark he could...let her go and see what happened. Yeah. That would be nice wouldn't it? He was going to do it, if things went well at this point.

"I mean, the most entertaining thing that I've seen with fire is a vampire juggle fireballs, and this one strange fellow who could control it and weave it around him. He did some interesting things with it, like fought a fiery replica of himself...and made a small play out of fire puppets. Dancing though, I've never seen dancing with fire." Nexus tapped his chin as he thought back to those times. Yeah, that seemed like the only things interesting with fire he had seen.

Nexus really did want to trust her, to let her go and not have her run away but he was afraid that she was just playing along with him. After all he was the one with the power and ability to hurt her easily. The scars on her body now showed that. Ugh. Friends didn't hurt friends...but...they hadn't really been friends. No...there were plans for her before that but...now...not so much. Now there was sharing, and learning about each other, which was good right?

"Alright...one day then."

Rhindeer

"Heh, that's true enough. Well, then, guess any extra ropes are unnecessary then, eh?" Hint hint hint. Though hopefully the hint wasn't too blatant and was taken with humor.

Though she really was hinting.

Ahem.

It did make sense that older beings would have longer parties...they probably didn't notice time like mortals did, they had time to kill. That probably applied to Nexus, too, if he was teaching himself five day long songs. And in that case, she was glad he'd spared her from the whole thing, she thought a bit amusedly. But she had to give him an odd look when he admitted that he'd never seen fire dancing before, tilting her head to one side and raising her eyebrows.

"...You've lived over a thousand years and you've never seen it?" she asked, then snorted and grinned a little, leaning back on her hands. "That's kinda hard to believe, but I guess we're even, then. I've never seen anyone do fire puppets before or fight a replica of themselves. I mean, I've seen the more advanced people do all sorts of things with it, especially Solisi who are strong in their gifts and don't even need the aid of wicking and fuel. Some people I knew could even use multiple staves, or scimitars, or even fans, and create rings of fire around themselves as they went through their routines, or designs above and around them, like dragons or other animals. It's really amazing to watch...I don't know how they manage that level of focus, honestly."

She gave a bit of a sheepish smile. "I'd like to be able to do that one day...they say fire dancing is the closest you can get to Mother Sun short of actually meeting the Living Sun Herself. Well, there are other things you can do of course, that's just an expression. But for now, all I can do is a lot of fancy twirling while hoping it looks like I know what I'm doing. I never had much time to really seriously practice or anything. But anyway..." Niamh looked over at Nexus, meeting his eyes for once. "I guess it's a deal, then."

With that said, Niamh shifted the blanket off of her and folded it on the ground beside her, then she rose to her feet stiffly and started to stretch out her legs and back. All that sitting was making her stiff, and all that talk of fire dancing and physical activity in general was making her even more antsy. She just needed to move. She couldn't move far because of the rope around her ankle, but she started to pace a little nonetheless, as far as the rope would allow and back again, just to burn a little energy. She couldn't believe she'd said that. A <I>deal? You didn't make deals with heathens. Especially not the crazy ones. But it had just slipped right out, probably because she liked talking about stuff like that.

Ugh...she really had sunk low.