Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return to the Wild (Small Wonder!)

Started by Anonymous, December 04, 2006, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It had been an interesting last two days hadn't it? For one thing, he had only hurt Niamh for maybe ten minutes. That was a first for him actually. He had changed his views and hopefully changed hers a little bit as well. That was...quite a feat of course.

He felt weak. Weak because he was kneeling in front of her, and weak because he was...well missing all his energy. It had depleted so much, and that was really affecting him.

He was really expecting there to be some pain right now. He was sure that he was going to be killed by her. She could easily overpower him in this state, and kill him quickly. However, that didn't seem to happen. He was...well...surprised just a little bit.

"Huh?" He looked over to her for a moment, an eyebrow raised. Oh. Was he okay?

"Yeah...I'll uh...I'll be fine. Eventually." He told her with a weak smile.

"Just too much energy making all those things suddenly...I mean...I had left a little piece of each thing so I recreat it but...recreating all those things in one instant...gets to me." He told her as he eased himself onto his back, his eyes looking upwards for the time being.

"One more night okay? I'll...let you go tomorrow. I promise." He told her quietly, his eyes shifting to look at her. He wondered where she might actually go, since he had pretty much taken her life away in a sense.

She couldn't go back home could she, and she couldn't go back to the Lumenari...Well...that was interesting. She would have no place to go would she?

"Where...where will you go Niamh? I've...ruined your life haven't I?"

Rhindeer

"Oh...I see..." Niamh murmured as Nexus laid down, warming up more by the instant. She wasn't even shivering anymore. "Well, then, I guess we're even yet again. I feel...drained."

Tomorrow, huh? He'd let her go tomorrow...Light. Why did that idea scare her? It filled her with relief, and yet, at the same time...now she was dreading it. Tomorrow, she'd be on her own.

And she didn't even know where to begin. It was like...it was like being born for a second time, she imagined. That's what it felt like. Tomorrow, everything would be different. Tomorrow, she'd have to relearn everything, start over from scratch.

Goddess, that was scary...

Niamh turned then to give Nexus a very flat look, eyes slightly narrowed. "You think? Yeah, Nexus. You've ruined my life," she answered bluntly as she brought a hand up to rub at her left temple, which was throbbing a little. "Ugh...I don't know. I don't know anywhere I can go. I can't go back to Solis. I can't go back to the Lumenari. I do and I'm dead, and even if I managed to keep everything a secret, with what I know now...Goddess, I wouldn't be able to do it. It wouldn't feel right. I'd be constantly lying, to others, to myself...I couldn't do it, I couldn't fit in with that world now, not without feeling horrible every second of my life. And then eventually I'd get tangled in my lies and expose myself, and that would be that. And if I can't go back home, well, my only option is I'm stuck out here, right? Right."

She took another long drink of the Moonberry juice. "And what's out here? Hell if I know. I don't know anybody here, I don't have a place to live, I only have a little money on me. Nexus, I don't know the first thing about living out here. I don't know the laws, the culture, anything, and I don't even know if I want to! I don't even know where I <I>am. I've never even lived on my own before, I've only ever lived at home or with the Lumenari. I don't know what to do! Do you understand? I don't fit in anywhere now."

With another gulp, she finished off the Moonberry juice and tossed the wineskin aside moodily to skid across the floor, then she looked directly at Nexus, her face a little flushed; she probably had drank too much too quickly, considering she didn't drink. "You're the only person here I know. You're the only thing that's remotely familiar to me now. You're the one who did this to me. And now? Now I don't even know if I can leave even if you release me. Because now you're the only thing I know."

Niamh closed her eyes and rested her head back against the pillar. "Of course, now that you've done what you set out to do, you'll probably want to get rid of me now. So that's why...ugh..." She shook her head, eyes still closed. "So that's why I just have to ask you...if I can stay with you a while longer. I...I have a lot to figure out, now, and...Light, this is insane..." She couldn't believe she was doing this. "But it would all be under one condition, of course. And that would be that you keep certain, ah, urges at bay. I'm sure we both know what I'm talking about."

She must really be desperate, and she knew it, to want to remain with the same person that had screwed her life all to hell and turned her into the very thing she had persecuted. Yet at the same time...if he was like this and not all...psychotic as before...he really wasn't that bad. He had gone out of his way to help her--or rather, to repair the damage he had done. Ugh. But he didn't seem insane right now. And he had...well...he had done something during all this, something she was still having a hard time wrapping her mind around.

Opening her eyes, she looked over at him again, a strange, sad look on her face. Then she averted her eyes, looking down at the blanket. "It's strange, too...you've ruined my life. You've ruined me. Yet...it also feels like I've been saved. From what, I have no clue. You tortured me. You ripped everything I knew apart. It would have been easier if I hadn't been saved...that's for sure. But...I don't know. I'm not making any sense right now, am I?" she asked, laughing suddenly and running her hands though her hair. Then she snuggled deeper into the blanket and sighed. "Have anymore wine?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"I don't think we'll ever really be even. You'd have to beat me up at least." Nexus told her with a small chuckle and a shake of his head.

"Yeah...I do. I know I ruined your life, and I'm sorry for it." He told her simply, as she started to talk again he closed his mouth to listen to her. Ugh...She would get killed if she went back to any of those places wouldn't she? He didn't really want that to happen. Nexus had promised her that he would protect her after all. He could help with that.

"Well, I don't know most of those things either you know...But I can learn and adapt. If a big brute like myself can learn such things, I'm sure an intelligent young lady like yoursef can." He was trying to bolster her spirits, as well as his own. He knew that if he let her go, there would be trouble. She'd get herself killed. No doubt calling someone a dirty heathen.

"Well er..." He watched the wineskin go skittering by as she spoke. Uh oh. She was just a little moody wasn't she? That might be very bad.

"I uh...Well I don't...want to..." The rest was some mumbling that followed as he managed to sit up and watch her. Nexus didn't want to let her go, but he was wondering what could be done about that. This was way too strange wasn't it?

"You don't have to ask. If you want to stay here with me you uh..." He didn't look at her at this point. Ugh. He was actually going to invite her willingly to stay. Geez, he had really changed from the old Nexus hadn't he? This would probably interfere with his job...or...it might make it more enjoyable.

"Yes. Sure. You can stay. I promise to keep those...urges at bay." Bah, taking away all his fun! Still, she was a friend, so he wouldn't let those urges out on her. It would be bad wouldn't it? That might cause some bad things. Yes, he would have to curb all of his...urges from now on while she was around. Either that or he could try to mold her into his apprentice. Nah. He didn't want an apprentice. He wanted a friend.

"You don't have to make sense poppet. If this time hasn't made a lick of sense, then why do we have to?" It was a rhetorical question of course, it didn't need to be answered. It shouldn't be answered anyways. He blinked a few times as she asked for more wine. Right, she was out of the Moonberry juice wasn't she?

"More? Yeah. Hold on." He reached into the satchel, pulling out a wineskin with a black and white striped cork. He held it out to her with a smile.

"There. Black and white is Fire Apple juice. It's just like the Moonberry juice. Just be warned, it's like the Moonberry Juice. Weak alcohol." She had asked him for her some more wine. He could have given her water, and he was regretting her giving her more wine. She was trying to drown herself in alcohol it looked like.

Rhindeer

...He was sorry?

This wasn't the first time he'd expressed regret...and...she could almost believe it. It was strange. But what was new?

Niamh was silent as Nexus spoke, listening to him...and then she suddenly blinked and looked over at him curiously, something he said ringing true in her ears, reassuring her (and even stroking her ego some) even though she didn't want to admit it.

He...didn't know much about all those things, either? It was a bit difficult to believe--he'd been alive for over a thousand years, he kind of had a bit more experience than she did, at least--but it did at least help to encourage her. He was right. Oh damn. She could adapt and learn, a fact she'd completely glossed over in her moment of panic. And if she could learn to adapt, her life was far from over and...it...it wasn't really ruined, right? She was still functioning, after all. All her limbs were intact. She was healthy.

"You're right...oh jeez, you're right..." was all she said, very softly, eyes a little wide. Why hadn't she seen that before?

It wasn't over. It was just a new beginning. Light. What was she going on about? She had never been one to give up before, she'd always been a fighter, always been strong-willed and spirited, brave...even Nexus had called her strong and brave, he'd even tried to break her, but that hadn't worked; she'd fought back in her own way and survived. And here she was, practically giving up now of all times. What the hell was she doing? That wasn't like her at all.

Straightening up a little, she took a long, deep breath. Yeah. Brooding over everything wasn't going to solve a thing, was it? She could mope all she liked but nothing was going to change. The only thing that would do was make her depressed, and that never did any good, and while she had a very valid reason to be down, well...there was no going back. The only direction there was to go now was forward, and while that was frightening...she'd overcome other frightening obstacles before. Indeed, there would be time to mourn for what she'd lost, but now wasn't the time. Right now...she had to figure out what she was doing and where she had to go from here. Now wasn't the time to mope...she had to snap out of that.

Besides, she wasn't going to be alone after all.

Niamh tilted her head to the side a little as Nexus started to speak a little, sounding oddly...unsure of himself, which also didn't sound like him. He always came across as so...dominant. Jeez. Maybe they did have more in common than she'd originally wanted to admit. They both had strong wills, and this situation was making them both...awkward. That was strange, too; he'd seemed so intent on keeping her. But finally he answered, and even promised to keep his urges at bay.

Good.

To her surprise, Niamh actually managed a small smile, her spirits rising a little. Nexus wasn't even looking at her when he said all that, but she knew he was telling the truth. It was kind of funny. He seemed to look away like that when he was being nice, she'd noticed. "Ah, good...very good to know. Thank you, Nexus. I mean that, too. I know I must be asking a lot, after all," she said with a wry smirk, vaguely wondering how the heck they got to this point, from him terrorizing her to her asking to stay with him. Who knew, and who cared now? "And that's also good to know. I won't worry about making any sense from now on, then, alright?"

But when he offered her the Fire Apple juice, she took it and...didn't make an effort to drink any. Instead, she set it on the ground beside her, for later. A moment ago she had needed it; even if it was weak, it at least calmed her. But a moment ago, she had been on the verge of giving up, overwhelmed as she was. Now...no, she wasn't going to give up. Nexus was right...

"Thanks again." She took a deep breath, pausing, and looked down at her legs. Then she looked back over at him. "But, hey...could you do me a favor? Do you think you could untie me now? Really...I'm not going to go anywhere. No point in keeping someone tied up that's not going to run away, right? I did ask you if I could stay." And then she surprised herself. She grinned at him. "Besides, how can I beat you up if I'm all tied up? You said we can't be even until then, after all, and I like things to be even. Then again, if I beat you up...we'd be uneven again, wouldn't we? I'd be better than you," she said with a small chuckle.

If this was all about new beginnings, well...she supposed it applied to all areas. He was still a heathen to her. She didn't know if she'd stop seeing him as one, or stop viewing everyone else as one. But...at the same time...she also knew that she was technically a heathen now, too.

This was so confusing. But...she had said she would be his friend, hadn't she? Back then, she hadn't been serious. It had all been an act. And it had backfired on her.

Now, he was the only friend she had.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

He was right? He was right then? He couldn't believe that she was actually admitting it. Though, he was glad that she admitted he was right. It was very odd to hear her say that. He knew she could adapt to the world, she just had to be open really. She seemed to be a doing a good job of adapting to situation already.

Hrm. How was life going to be with Niamh being around. He had to get used to this world, and so did she. Nexus was a traveller though, he wandered, he never stayed in one place for long. He would bring her with him though. He couldn't leave her in the world to fend for herself, that just wasn't going to be an option at this point. Heh. Still, it might have been fun to see what would happen to her. No... no it wouldn't be fun.

She spoke up, and he smiled a little bit at her.

"You? Asking a lot? No, you're asking very little from me." He smiled at her still as he looked away from her for a moment. He still couldn't figure out how this all happened really. It was confusing, how they ended up this way. One minute whipping her, the next they were talking about staying together and such. Sometimes life had some very odd twists and turns to it.

"Yeah that works for me. You stop making sense, and I'll keep myself in line." Nexus grinned weakly at her and laughed quietly as he looked away from her again. Ah things were going to be fine weren't they? Things had...taken a very interesting turn, and he was pretty sure he liked that turn. Yes. The turn was a very nice one wasn't it?

"Eh? Oh sure." Nexus looked over to her leg, to the rope about it. He blinked once and let the rope disappear.

"You think you can beat me up? I highly doubt it. Even in this state I bet I could beat you something fierce." Nexus grinned at her, even winking as he turned a little bit to face her. Heh, that would be an interesting fight. A weakened Nexus and a mostly strong Niamh. After all, she was in the light still, she would no doubt be stronger than he at this point.

He vaguely could remember a time that had been fun like this. When he had been with Carthax that is. Of course...Niamh's company was...more enjoyable. Carthax was always talking about death or causing pain to people but...Niamh's company was much better.

"Don't you worry about anything though. I'll look out for you. I'll make sure to keep an eye on you at all time." With that, he rolled an eye around in his socket while the other one stayed focused on her. Hm...they might even be able to leave this warehouse. Tonight. When the Lumenari weren't out in numbers. Yes. He'd feel much safer then.

Rhindeer

"Alright, that sounds like a deal, then," Niamh said with a nod, stretching her legs out in front of her and lowering the blanket, finally all warm and toasty again. She was a little surprised when Nexus actually agreed to take off the rope; even though she'd told him she would stay, he still might think it was a trick. But, then again...she also hadn't tried to attack him when she easily could have hurt or killed him. That should have been enough to show that he could trust her now.

And when the rope vanished from her leg, that was enough to show that, finally, she could trust him.

Which was strange. That they were trusting each other now, all things considered. Oh well...she preferred this to how they'd started off.

"Well, that was surprisingly easy," she murmured, glancing down at her now freed leg before smiling over at him. But she didn't stand up, didn't make any attempt to leave or threaten to leave. She simply stayed seated and relaxed, crossing one leg over the other at the ankles while resting back against the pillar. Yeah...this was definitely a good turn.

Even if she still didn't like being stuck in this warehouse. But...heh, funny thing about that was that now she was a bit nervous about leaving it. The Lumenari, her...her friends--Goddess, she couldn't believe they would now be her enemies, but she couldn't think on that now; she didn't want to think about it--would be looking for her. Well, she hoped they would. She hoped they would because it would mean they cared about her, and she hoped they wouldn't because...that would probably make leaving the warehouse dangerous.

This was bad...

"Oh yeah? Think so, huh?" Niamh asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at Nexus, snapped from her thoughts. Then she snorted softly and grinned, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'd take you up on that bet, too, but...it'd be too easy. I like fighting fair, not kicking puppies." Then she blinked. That...was a weird analogy to make. Nexus as a puppy. Ah, whatever! She was allowed to make weird analogies since she was allowed to not make sense. "Besides, both times you got me before, they were surprise attacks. One on one, both of us prepared...that'd be a different story, that I can promise you."

Okay, so maybe she was still a bit bitter. But who wouldn't be, it still wasn't like everything just went away! Besides, she was proud, and her pride had been wounded...she had felt weak. One day, she would get even with him. Not to kill or even injure him, at least not seriously, but she would get him back. Her? Hold grudges? Maybe a little, ahem. She was allowed to do that, too. She did have his damned markings on her, after all. Ugh. But...no use thinking about that now, either. What was done was done, and he had promised to...behave...from now on.

Promised. That was interesting, too. She could recall him saying he couldn't promise not to hurt her, back when he'd still been all...psycho. And she had told him not to make promises in her desperate attempt to get on his good side and get through to him. But she sure wasn't going to remind him of that!

Then Nexus did his weird eye thing, and Niamh rolled her own eyes and laughed a little, covering her mouth to hide that. That...was so bizarre. She didn't think she'd ever get used to that. Handy, she imagined, but still bizarre and kind of...creepy. "Light, that's still so weird. Ah, anyway, I take it you mean that, er, literally..." she said, shaking her head. "Well, in that case...I'm not worried. Then again, all things considered...I'm not so sure I can worry about anything anymore. Not when I have you as a...ah...bodyguard?" Indeed, having a psycho protecting her? And after seeing what he was capable of...?

"If anything, I'd be worried for everyone else," she admitted, rubbing the back of her neck. "Hm...speaking of...how much longer are we gonna stay in here? And what time do you think it is now, anyway?"

Ah, it was so much easier talking to Nexus now that she was all relaxed from Moonberry juice and assured that he wasn't going to be going crazy on her.

Anonymous

Well then, that was good wasn't it? They had a sort od eal, though silly as it was. He noted, that after her leg was freed...she didn't move up, or stood up, or even...really did anything. She stayed right where she was, and that...well that REALLY showed he could trust her. He felt...great that she wasn't going to run. That made him smile. It was a genuine smile at that.

"Easy indeed. Dispelling it a heck of a lot easier than creating." Nexus said to her calmly. He could eventually teach her how to make those ropes, though he wasn't sure if it would drain people to use magic in the form of ropes. Bah.

Nexus was going to take her out of here during the night. Away from this warehouse and the bad memories. He would take her somewhere else then, maybe to a nice Inn or something. Where she could lay in a bed, not on the cold ground. Mm. But not before he taught her how to use the moon like she did the sun. Ah that was one thing he really wanted to show her. Hrm. Maybe he should wait a while before teaching her that. Yes. There was only so much people should learn in one day.

"Oh really? So I'm a helpless little puppy am I?" He asked, an eyebrow rocketing skyward as he watched her. Now that had been a very interesting thing to say. Then he issued a sort of challenge to him. Hm...

"You know, that sounds like a challenge to me. So are you all talk poppet, or do you think you can take up that challenge? Not now of course. Later. When I'm back to full strength." He really didn't like the idea of an unfair fight with Niamh. She had a lot of pent up rage, and he had some bad things to her which might get her very...passionate about winning while he was weak and easily over powered.

He didn't actually expect some revenge from her. Not...too much revenge of course. He was sure that she might trip him up once in a while when he wasn't looking, or maybe try to put something in his drink to muddle his senses. Hah! If that could happen. He couldn't have his sense muddles. Still...he wondered if she would try to really endanger him to get revenge. Nah...that wasn't here style was it..?

"Well, I could try to take my eye out and give it to you but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it. So we'll have to just go with that then." He knew how creepy his eyes could be, but he loved them anyways. They were so useful and amazing! He grinned slightly at her words.

"You should probably just be worried for the people who try to get in your way." Nexus told her with a smile. Oh he was going to teach her how to be a strong mage. She would be unheeded by ropes and the like, so her attacks would indeed be great. Then she wouldn't need him to guard her. Though...that thought somewhat scared him. He actually liked the idea of having to protect her.

"Right now it's just after noon I would say. Maybe about two hours after." He made sure he looked towards the door with his eye, to keep up the appearance. He probably wouldn't ever tell her about his little...ability. After all, he was a pretty big deviant in her eyes already, and he was supposed to be truthful with her for the most part. He wasn't going to risk breaking the fragile state of trust that they had now after all.

"We'll leave here tonight. Find a nice Inn to stay in...then...figure things out from there. Unless you would like to sleep here tonight in a hammock." He didn't much care for this warehouse anymore. It had served the purpose that he had needed, and now that his plans had drastically changed, this place should be done away with. He was pretty sure that Niamh felt the same way about it too.

Rhindeer

"Hmm...isn't that how it always works? It takes time and effort to make something, but only a few seconds to destroy it." At that, Niamh gave a slight cough. She hadn't meant that to come across as a jab, really, but now that she had said it, she could see how it might.

After all, it had taken eighteen years for her to get to where she had been, a member of the Lumenari, strong in her faith...it had taken barely two days to change all that.

Oh well...such was life. She couldn't stay too bitter, though, not now, and not when Nexus looked so perplexed now. A small chuckle escaped her, and she shook her head.

"I don't think 'puppy' was the right word, but it was the only word that sprang to mind at the time..." Niamh said, looking a little sheepish as Nexus gave her that look. Helpless probably wasn't the right word, either, because she certainly couldn't see him ever being helpless. Not exactly. But before she could think up a better word that applied, Nexus decided to take her up on that subtle challenge of hers.

Just as she had been hoping.

The sheepish expression faded, replaced by a smug smile as she regarded him, and she gave a casual shrug of her shoulders. "If I didn't think I could take it up, I wouldn't have even mentioned it," she answered simply, still not complaining about the apparent nickname he'd given her. She'd kind of grown used to it. "I didn't grow up around guys or travel with the Lumenari for a year and learn nothing, y'know, and you just so happened to teach me a new trick, too. No, trust me, I don't talk like this unless I can back it up with something." Which was true, even if in the past she had talked a lot about something that Nexus had just dismantled. But even then she had something to back it up with--like the rest of the Lumenari and scripture as well.

And Nexus was certainly right about the pent-up rage bit. Oh yeah, she had a lot of that. She had a lot of energy now, too, but unfortunately he didn't. Oh well. There would be time in the future to have their little competition, and in the meantime, there were plenty of other subtle ways she could vent.

"Huh?" She looked at Nexus sharply when he said he could always just try and take his eye out, and then she quickly threw up her hands, waving them slightly. "Ahah, no thanks, that's okay, really! Yeah, you just keep that eye in its socket, alright, Nexus? You give it to me, and I'll be sure to drop it, and I don't think you'd like that very much, either. Get dirt and grime and hairs all over it...ugh, that'd be a pain to clean." She made a face and wrinkled her nose, suddenly disgusted by her own visual. Ew. Oddly enough, though, Niamh wasn't actually all that queasy at the thought of him plucking out his own eye, though it'd be weird and she wouldn't like it a bit. But not all that much turned her stomach. She'd seen some pretty graphic things on her travels with the Lumenari. It didn't mean she liked it; it just meant she didn't faint at the sight of blood.

"Oh, you mean like you?" Niamh asked when he said she should be worried for those that get in her way, matching Nexus' smile with one of her own. Then she rose to her feet, once again needing to just stand, and she also glanced to the doorway as Nexus looked. She still had no idea how he did that...the light looked the same to her as it had hours ago, bright. Hrm. Well, if you had a lot of time to kill like Nexus probably did, she could see how he would know something like that; he was immortal, he could spend days at a time watching the light beneath a doorway if he got bored.

That visual almost made her laugh out loud, but she instead cleared her throat and nodded...then promptly jolted and shook her head vigorously. "No thanks! I like the idea of leaving here tonight. Tempting as that hammock idea of yours is, a bed sounds a lot better. Plus...uh... I think you've kinda ruined warehouses for me. I'll never be able to look at one the same again..." The last part was mumbled as she shoved her hands into the pockets of her pants, fixing him with a brief glare.

And only a brief one, because inns had beds and she was thinking both about getting out of here and getting into a bed. Light, a bed. The last time she'd slept in a bed was when she had last run into Nexus at that inn. But back there, she hadn't had the time to actually enjoy it, since she'd been all stressed and plotting to get away. Beds...man. She missed beds so much.

She'd just have to ensure that they got separate rooms or something. She wanted a bed and there was no way she was sharing, especially not with him. Haha. Like hell.

"We'll have to be careful, though. You know that, right?" Niamh asked after a pause. "People will be looking for me. Night is a good time to leave--" It was why she hadn't suggested leaving earlier, why she had been asking about the time so she could make her own estimations. "--because Solisi can't see well in the dark, at least not if we don't have a torch or Incendia with us. But there aren't just Solisi among the Lumenari, Nexus. The Lumenari accepts anyone who will convert and serve their cause. Race, even species, doesn't matter." She frowned a little, a bit nervous. That of course meant that there were some Lumenari among them that had excellent night vision, or even a very good sense of smell.

Indeed, they would need to be careful. Hopefully the fish smell of the town would help with that, at least.

Anonymous

"Not all the time. A mountain takes thousands of years to create, and just as long to destroy. Though, I'd say that's only one example, as everything else can be destroyed too quickly." He didn't feel it as a jab, but merely a truthful retort to what he had said. It was true after all, so he couldn't see it as an attack of sorts.

"Yeah, puppy just doesn't seem to suit me. Cornered wolf maybe?" After all, a cornered wolf might have been a little helpless, until you moved close and it started to attack you. That was just like him, except he didn't even need to be cornered. He just needed to be challenged. Just like she had done.

"So you think you can take me then? That's pretty strong words Niamh." Nexus cracked the joints in his fingers, looking at her with a grin. He only wished he had his strength back right now. Fighting with Niamh might actually be enjoyable to say the least. She had some idea as to what he was capable of, but he had learnt to grapple long before her, and had learnt quite a few dirty tricks to say the least. Most of those tricks he wouldn't actually use on her, as he never wanted to hurt her more. He had done that quite enough.

Nexus knew a way that he could regain his strength instantly. He could simple draw on the darkness, and from Niamh as well. That would regain his strength enough without trancing. Maybe he should do that instead...

"Are you sure? Because I can just pop it out right now you know." He had his teeth bared in a wicked grin as he let one eye spin about in its socket. She was probably right about the dirty part though. Ugh, getting a hair on your eye was bad enough but getting dirt and muck on it? That must be absolutely horrible.

"You're probably right though. It would be such a hassle to clean. I'll leave it in there I think." It would be easier to get it in than it would be to get it out. Why were they on this subject anyways? It had been such an innocent comment and now they were talking about plucking his eye out.

"I'm not gonna beat myself up. I'll leave that to you." He told her innocently as he stuck his tongue out at her. The back and forth banter was quite enjoyable, quite harmless as far as he knew. They were just two friends talking and trying to pass the time. Oh he had a few ways to pass the time, but he had promised of course not to hurt her and to keep his urges as bay. Bah, he'd have to sneak out late at night and find someone to entertain himself.

"Yeah, I can see how warehouses might seem different to you now. Alright, we'll leave tonight for an Inn and get you a nice comfy bed." He told her simply. He wouldn't even need a room, he could always head up on the roof or something rather. If he managed to draw enough power from around him then he wouldn't need to trance tonight. Ugh, that actually sounded like a bad idea.

"I know, we'll be careful. I can smell the Lumenari coming. You've all got a particular scent to you. The weapons you carry, the clothes you wear, they may seem different but the smell is the same." Nexus was very good at spotting the Lumenari. After all, when you spend so much time avoiding them and trying not to get caught, you do a really good job of picking them out.

"We'll be fine. We'll head to an Inn, stay the night, then in the morning we shall head out and move on to a new place." Hopefully it would be that simple. Hopefully it would be as easy as that. He had a sinking feeling though that it wasn't going to be so easy. There was always some complications to a carefully laid out plan. Right now though, he was going to regain a bit more of his strength.

He stood up and looked about for a moment, stretching his arms out. Ah, time to get rid of being all helpless and weak hopefully. He did just as he had instructed her before, focusing on the darkness. The rivers of power that flowed through it. Then...he began to draw on the power, absorbing it. As he did so, the warehouse got bright. After all, with the darkness receding, the light from his vines could travel farther.

"Ah this is good...this is real good." His voice was a whisper as he drew the energy into himself, finally feeling more energetic and alive. They had an abundance of darkness after all, so he could draw on that as much as he wanted. When he was finally done with the darkness, the room slowly dimmed, returning to it's normal state.

"I think I could take you on now."

Rhindeer

That was true, she didn't know of anyone that could destroy a mountain, save for time itself. The wolf analogy also seemed to fit him better. "Yeah, I'd say that works just a little better."

Jeez. How on Earth did she get puppy of all things? Her mind worked in mysterious ways sometimes.

"I know, but like I said, I can back it up," Niamh said simply as Nexus cracked his fingers and she watched him cautiously. Er...was he prepping? Because just a second ago he'd said he wanted to do that later, not now, because he was too tired. Not that it mattered because she certainly didn't mind. She had a ton of excess energy and emotions to burn!

Even if she had to admit that she was a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Luckily Nexus moved off of that subject, and even more luckily, he wasn't going top pop an eye out! That...would have been more than just a little disturbing, to say the least, though it was a little amusing that he decided not to go through with it because of the whole cleaning issue. Sheesh. "Good, make sure it stays there, too. Light you're strange..." But she was smiling still, and smugly too when he said he'd leave the beating up to her. "Oh really? Hm. Seemed like you might be into that sort of thing. In any case, I'm glad we're on the same page then," she said with a soft snort. The banter was...different. Unexpected to be sure. But she wasn't complaining. It was either this or being completely miserable, after all, and she was slightly giddy from that juice.

That helped!

Another flat look was given when he mentioned the warehouse bit--all his fault!--but she held her tongue and listened as he spoke, talking about how they would leave and...about how the Lumenari smelled? An eyebrow arched--was she saying they stank?--but all the same she guessed it was a good thing right now. All that really mattered was that they would be getting away from here. She honestly didn't care where they went at this point, as long as it was just...away from the warehouse, away from this city, away from the memories, away from her people. Hopefully everything went smoothly. She couldn't help but worry about what a confrontation with the Lumenari would be like at this point.

Painful, that was certain. They'd want her to come back. She wouldn't be able to. They'd see her with a heathen. Bam. Trouble. And if she saw them, her friends...Goddess, she might start to second guess her decision.

In any case, she didn't know anything about this place, but that was something she did know, and it relaxed her a bit to hear Nexus sound so confident. Weird. "Alright, that's good. I guess I'll let you be the navigator then. I don't really care where we go, as long as it's not...you know...another warehouse." Niamh would not be letting him live that down for a long time. Like, probably never.

As Nexus stood up suddenly, Niamh instantly realized what he was doing. Well, maybe not instantly, but as soon as he held his hands out and the light started to grow brighter, she recognized it. He was doing...well...something. Drawing from the light? The darkness? Something else? She couldn't tell, but she appreciated the extra light, soaked it up, and relaxed even more until...

"What? Are you serious?" she asked with a jerk, having started to lean back against the pillar and close her eyes. But both the dimming room and his sudden announcement snapped her out of her relaxed state.

Erk. She'd been both hoping for and fearing for that. Hoping because she had a lot she wanted to prove, and fearing because...what if she totally blew it? That just wouldn't do, not after everything she'd been saying. But after her initial surprise, she tried not to let that slight hesitation show, and instead just straightened, cracked her knuckles, and started to stretch out her arms. Might as well just get ready, in case he really was serious.

"Really...huh. Well, then, I guess we do have a few hours to kill, eh?" she asked, rotating her shoulders, and then moving on to stretch out her legs. Being immobile, or pretty much immobile, had made her all stiff. "So what're the rules then? Obviously we're not gonna be fighting to kill or seriously injure, and we gotta still be able to walk--and run--when we're done if we ever wanna leave this warehouse, which I do. But other than that, how're we gonna do this? I mean, are we going all out, or are we just grappling, doing the hand-to-hand thing?"

There was a difference between a real fight and a friendly match, after all. While in the former there were no rules, in the latter, she liked to be very clear on all the rules.

Niamh finished stretching out her limbs and just looked at Nexus, her hands on her lower back, which she also popped, limbering up. When she was done, she stood there looking completely at her ease, even if her heart was drumming with anticipation. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she couldn't help but think how insane this all was. Here she was about to have a...somewhat friendly spar with a man that had tormented her. "Well? Whatcha think? It doesn't matter to me, really. I'll get you either way," she said with a grin.

Anonymous

The wolf analogy sat better with him than the puppy one. He wasn't cute enough to get away with puppy. Nexus was just rugged enough to get away with a grizzled old wolf though. That reminded him, he should shave soon. His stubble was starting to get itchy.

"Oh I believe you." He didn't, but he sounded like he did at least. There was grin plastered on his face as he watched her carefully. She did have a lot of spunk to her, and a lot of energy to burn. After all, she had been cooped up and chained to a pillar for a good day or so, and hadn't been able to move far. Oh it would be interesting.

"I know I'm strange, I like being strange. Much better than being normal." He told her with a smile. She was just as strange technically, but he would let her believe that she was normal for the time being. "We make a good pair. You want something to beat up, and I just happen to love pain. Of course, I probably will have to prod and poke back of course." Nexus wasn't sure, but had he just referred to them as a pair? What the hell did that mean anyways? Best to hope that was moved on from.

"I pick one bad location and suddenly I have bad taste in places. Fine, I won't take you away to another warehouse. A grand palace perhaps where the white marble shines and bounces the light everywhich way. On the side of a mountain perhaps overlooking a large valley where we can sit and watch the sun rise and illuminate the entire valley slowly." Actually...that sounded nice. Of course, he wasn't serious about it...much. He might want to find a place like that to stay eventually. it sounded heavenly.

"Why can't I be serious?" He asked her, grinning wickedly at her. He liked the idea of taking her on, head to head...no powers. No ropes. Nothing. Just strength versus strength. Or was it strength versus sheer will and determination? Niamh had a lot to prove to Nexus after all. He had ambushed her twice, captured her twice...She had to prove that she was strong to him, or he would think her a fragile and delicate little flower.

"Indeed, a few hours before the sun goes down. We might as well spend it productivly." She had the right idea at least. He just wanted to step up tot he challenge and show her that he could beat her no matter what. He was the Alpha Wolf after all.

"Let's go with no magic, no intent to kill, and no breaking bones. We should probably just grapple, as I think I might damage you with a few good punches. My...fighting style is very close to boxing for the most part." Though, he had studied pressure points and bodies with Carthax, and he knew some trick spots on the body that would serve very interesting.

"Sound like a plan to you?" He asked, already getting into a good grappling stance. Legs slightly outward with hands at the ready. All he had to do was get the good grip. As long as he could get in close, get a proper grip on her arms, he could throw her centre of gravity off and send her to the floor. Then he could pin her.

"oh, we're going for ten count pin, or do you think you can hold me for a full twenty seconds?"

Rhindeer

Niamh couldn't help but smack her forehead and groan. "Oh jeez...you know, now I'm kinda not so sure about this whole beating you up thing. You're not supposed to like it, you know..." she said slowly, eyeing Nexus oddly and rubbing the bridge of her nose. But then she just shook her head. "Ah, anyway, just...don't do anything weird, like..." She made a face. "Like no moaning or anything." Fortunately for Nexus, she completely missed his whole "pair" comment. Oh, she heard it all right, but it didn't really register. The whole "I love pain!" thing distracted her from the completely, and perplexed her a well. Pain usually meant bad things like you were getting injured or mistreating your body or something! Bad things. You weren't supposed to like it, it felt awful!

Oh well...

Niamh pointedly ignored Nexus' little understatement there--one bad location? Yeah, best to let that comment slide, though she did shoot him a slightly annoyed look, frowning at him. However, his sudden bout of poetry was, well, sudden, and the annoyed expression faded out to be replaced by one of surprise. Okay. So one second he was talking about popping out his eye, and now he was using words to paint a rather gorgeous setting that she could actually picture vividly in her head, and even more so because she was dying to go outside again. Watch Mother Sun rise...for some reason, she felt a small pang of pain at that thought, but she pushed it aside. Her mind didn't really want to go there right now, so she just smiled.

"That idea doesn't sound half bad, actually..." she said slowly, blinking. "Better than a warehouse." Though she doubted he actually had access to a palace.

But then it was right back to planning their competition, and she listened a Nexus answered her question. Good, good...she liked that idea. No magic--which she was still getting the hang of, and which would likely freak her out for a long time yet--and no weapons; it would be a fair fight in that case, since she knew she wasn't a match for Nexus when it came to...erm...magic. With a nod, she followed his example and mimicked his stance, taking that as her cue to get ready. "Oh? Heh, I don't know what the heck my fighting style is. I guess it's just called 'whatever-it-takes-to-stay-alive', but I'll make sure to tone it down for you. I don't wanna hurt you."

Cough, cough, yeah right! She had been taught a few good holds that put pressure on the joints and caused quite a bit of pain, without actually breaking any bones, and she'd also learned how to take advantage of certain arteries and muscles in the body. On the same note, Nexus hadn't said she couldn't leave bruises! Just no broken bones or, she was assuming, lasting damage, so she'd make sure to kick him whenever she got the chance; she could just chalk it up as an accident. Yeah. Even if it sounded like Nexus planned on going easy on her, she didn't intend on going easy on him. This was about revenge as much as it was about killing some time, burning some energy, and having a little fun, and she could play dirty, too.

She gave Nexus a considering look. "Yeah, sounds like a plan. And how about we go for ten but I'll try for twenty?" Niamh answered with a cocky smile. She knew that was asking for a bit much, but it never hurt to try anyway. As it was, this was going to be...tricky. Nexus clearly had the advantage in terms of size; he was taller than anyone she'd ever met and she barely reached his shoulder! She was also pretty sure that he had the advantage in terms of strength, as well, so it was indeed going to be a match of strength versus sheer will and determination. That was all right, though. She'd taken on people bigger and stronger than her before--she hadn't always won, but she had held her own at the least.

Even if she couldn't actually beat him, at the very least she wanted to make sure he didn't beat her.

Flashing Nexus a playful grin, still poised and ready, she turned one hand palm up and motioned to him briefly. "Alright then. Ladies first, Nexus. I'm waiting on you."

Anonymous

"Oh well I'm sorry. Let me just change myself completely for you." It wasn't a hurtful spitting comment, but a playful one instead that ended with a fake huff of indignation. "I'll moan if I want to." He told her, flashing that particular grin of his at her. After all, he couldn't be expected to hold such a thing back. When you were in pleasure, you let out a satisfied moan, that's how it worked for him. Pain was pleasure and pleasure was...well pleasure too of course. He knew this was going to be a very interesting time.

"Yeah, I know, I've been to a place like it before. Not in this realm though. No, that was quite a number of years ago though. Maybe some place will exist like it here?" He highly doubted that though, as the amount of marble and rock that had to be carved and used to create it just didn't seem feasible at the time even. Though, he still liked the idea of being able to look out over an entire valley and observe the light slowly creeping across it. That was always beautiful.

"Oh, you're so generous aren't you? I'll make sure not to knock any of your pretty little teeth out." He told her sweetly in return. He was pretty sure that she was going to bite, kick, scream, and punch as much as she could. After all, he had pretty much said 'Hey I feel bad for what I did to you. How about you try to beat the stuffing out of me and we'll try to call it even?' He was just glad she didn't have any sharp objects on her, because he was pretty sure that she would try to carve her name in him as well. He knew it was about revenge and trying to get even with him, but for him it was about trust. He had set her free, and now was trusting her not to kill him.

"Go for twenty but it'll be ten. I'd like to see that." Nexus began to stretch his legs, his arms, twisted around to make sure he was nice and limber at this point. He didn't want her to hurt him after all, and he wanted to be able to relax the muscles in his body in case she did manage to pin him. Slowly his hands came together, his eyes closed, and he took a deep breath.

This was to help him focus, to help drown out all distractions, and for the most part, relax his body and mind for this. He would need absolute control over every digit and appendage in his body. Every muscle, every nerve, every tendon and ligiment would have to respond accordingly. This was a challenge. This was something he wasn't going to lose.

In the back of his mind he heard Niamh saying something, but the actual words were lost on him. When his eyes opened, he seemed a little different. He seemed completely focused and determined. Not a thing showed in his eyes or on his face, no snarling, no talking, no smirking or grinning. He stepped forward to her with his crouched position, coming into range so he could use his hands and arms accordingly. This was grappling and wreslting after all, not beat the living crap out of the person. He was guarding, one hand near his chest, so he could deflect shots either below the belt or above, while his other was on offense.

He was swatting like a bear would as he circled her, testing defences, cheacking to see how her reflexes were. When Nexus fought, he fought to win, even if it was two friends fighting. It must have been odd to see the strange transformation between joking or sadistic Nexus to Fighting Nexus. He kept himself well guarded, toying with her and swatting at her. He wasn't getting close, not until he knew the exact capabilities of her while she fought.

Oh this wasn't going to end well for poor Niamh.

Rhindeer

Oh no...

Now she had a feeling she was going to be paranoid of him randomly moaning during this whole thing. Ugh. Which of course would be bad, because it would probably be distracting. Ergh. Well, best not to worry about that. She'd just keep her mind occupied with that lovely, imaginary place he described, instead.

"Good, better not knock any out. I like food too much, and if I couldn't chew I'd be pissed," Niamh told him calmly, smiling just as sweetly back, though she chuckled a little. He didn't think she could make it to twenty. Granted, she probably couldn't...but being told she couldn't do something only made her want to do it more.

"You wanna see that? Then I'll show you..." Niamh said softly, falling quiet as Nexus began to stretch and do his thing, and she waited patiently. While Nexus got "in the zone", she took the opportunity to work on evening out her breathing and focus on staying relaxed--but not so relaxed that her reflexes would be off, just relaxed enough that she wouldn't tire out any muscles before she actually used them. That was all very important, and now that it was finally on, she was really starting to take this seriously. After all, she did want to win, and she knew that even if he was taller and stronger, the thing that mattered the most in the end was how well one could maneuver and make use of the opportunities presented. Strength wasn't everything here, it was also about leverage and pacing. Even a smaller person could pin a larger, stronger one if they applied proper technique.

Finally Nexus began to move, the change in him clearly evident and...almost a little disconcerting. But Niamh pushed the thought from her mind, only noting that he seemed just as into this as she was. She took a few quick steps backwards, keeping an even distance between them, conscious of his longer reach--that would also be tricky--and she carefully guarded against his swats, not yet going on the offensive, simply guarding, watching, and carefully circling. Crap, crap, what to do...she had to admit, it was a little intimidating facing someone that towered over her, someone who had once kept her prisoner, but...

But nothing!

He seemed so cautious, careful...the real battle didn't start until they were on the floor, and she might be able to take advantage of his current pace. He might be expecting her to be cautious, too, maybe even nervous...but whatever the case may be, she had to be careful or this would be over before it began if he happened to get a good throw in.

That was it, she had to make the first move. If she could knock him off balance first, she might gain the advantage, because if he did that to her first--that wouldn't be fun. She'd learned to rely more on speed, at least in the beginning.

Closing in and swatting experimentally, both testing him as he'd tested her and trying to divert his attention to her hands, she suddenly ducked low and lunged for his legs, hoping to go under his arms so she could wrap her own arms tightly around his thighs. She was shorter, and attacking from the top would only put him in a position ideal for overpowering her, so the trick would be to aim low, which was also a gamble, because it also put her below him. It was a longshot either way, but she was banking on taking him off guard and throwing his balance off.

Hopefully he didn't expect her to be the type to make the first move, especially not a risky one like that.

Not that it mattered much. Once she got him on the ground, she really did plan on beating him up good--hey, he told her to, after all! Too bad she didn't have anything sharp on her. Hmm...maybe nails counted? Bah, too bad she kept them so short she couldn't even scratch.

Anonymous

"I probably wouldn't be able to understand whatever your saying if I took out all your teeth...or is that tongue. Bah, I guess I couldn't break your tongue. Hrm, oh well." He was smiling though right back at her. This banter was very refreshing, he actually enjoyed it. He'd have to see if he couldn't goad her into more banter later.

He was glad at least that she was taking this just as serious as he was. He didn't want to be fighting an opponent who was taking this as a joke. After all, this was a show of power, and a show of will. This was probably going to define their relationship from here on out. Nexus wondered how things would go if he won. Would she beleive he was too strong and would overpower her easily? Would it be opposite? There was too much to think about at this point, and he simply pushed these thoughts from his mind. This was about right here and right now. Damn the future and damn whatever consequences.

This was good. She was defending all his swats. She was showing him all about her. One eye was carefully watching her upper torso, while the other was looking to her lower torso. He was watching how she moved, how her muscles worked when she dodged and when she blocked his swats. This was perfect, he couldn't have asked for more. If there was one thing he knew, you could learn almost everything from a person when you fought them. Almost. This was more than he could have ever asked for.

He knew just what he was getting into, and knew just how to go about this. It was going to be interesting to see how she did this.

Focus.

Nexus could tell what she was thinking though. She was small, probably had some speed to her. Nexus had been running all his life though, so he could be just as fast, despite his large size. When she moved in and started swatting, he grinned ever so slightly, showing off just a few teeth as he defended against them carefully.

However, he was watching. He was watching very carefully and had a full view of her. She was good but he expected her to go for his legs. That wasn't his weak spot however. It was good though that she tried, as it was a logical spot to go. Both hands went down to her arms, gripping her around the forearms before she could even make it to his legs.

Was he being nice? Oh yes. Why? Because he hauled her upwards a little, trying to get her into a grapple. He wasn't letting go of his iron grip though. Oh no, he was going to keep this up and lure her into a top heavy grapple. That would allow him to pretty much bring her down nice and easy.

There...was something though. He was afraid. She might not have thought of this, but he had a weak spot that she probably could reach. He was pretty sure he had told her about it at some point, or for that matter....shown it. Oh he knew that he had showed her it. His neck. That was the weakest spot on him. Most people never got the connection that being hung for three days might make you sensitive to people touching your neck. In his case...it made him freeze up and stop completely.

Ugh. He actually got a shiver just thinking about that though. No. Had to stay focused on all of this. If he lost this, things would go badly.

Rhindeer

Crap! Niamh hissed a curse under her breath when she felt Nexus' hands go around her forearms before she could even make it to his legs, and she grunted as she was hauled up. If Nexus was grinning, Niamh was gritting her teeth because this was taking all of her strength at this point.

The hardest part was always getting the other person to the ground without getting pinned yourself...but if she could manage that, and if she could be the first to assume a dominant position, she was fairly good at keeping it, her size and slight build letting her scramble around quickly and escape through unguarded gaps. And when it came to the actual pinning itself, she relied more on a joint lock of some sort, of causing her opponent pain, than she did on using her actual weight to keep someone down.

Then again, it also depended on how evenly matched size-wise she was to her opponent.

Acting fast, in the next instant Niamh was twisting her arms around in Nexus' grip to try and get them into a position where she could get a hold on him, her breathing still oddly relaxed and even in a practiced, focused sort of way, so as to keep from getting winded--though the thin layer of sweat beading on her brow showed that she probably wasn't quite as relaxed on the inside as her body was now. She knew what he was trying to do, though. Nexus was trying to pull her up, to use his height to his advantage and throw her off balance that way, but she knew better. Instead of falling for it, she kept her head down and threw her weight forward, wanting to keep low and balanced. Because if there was one thing that was certain, it was that it was her legs that were the strongest part of her body. Even if Nexus tried to take her down while she was bent low, she could brace herself with her legs and try to flip him instead.

On the flip side, even while her arms were strong from weilding her staff, they were still lacking, and that was the problem now. Nexus had an iron grip on them, and even though she was trying to stay low and push forward, she couldn't with the hold he now had, at least not if she didn't want to wear herself out this early on from straining against him. Kicking his legs out from under him wasn't an option from this position, either; she was leaning too far to get a good kick in, and she didn't dare lift a foot from the ground now anyway because that would make her vulnerable. Or more vulnerable.

Gah...maybe she would have to take the bait after all. She might be able to twist around well enough to be able to get an arm around his head or neck. He was crouched down, too, after all; it wouldn't be difficult to reach. And she knew how to apply choke and strangle holds; which she ended up using, well, that would all depend on what sort of grip and angle she could get on him.

And then, something happened as she worked to stay balanced and locked in that grapple.

Nexus shivered.

Close as she was, his hands on her, she could feel it.

Niamh didn't know what caused it, but it might mean he was distracted, maybe intimidated? Yeah right. Whatever the case, she was going to waste no time in exploiting it.

A new strategy in mind, she drew a deep breath and lunged up and forward suddenly, using that quick motion as the leverage she needed to thrust her arms forward, as well, trying to break his hold on her. She grappled for his head, or more likely, his neck, hoping to be able to hook an arm around him. If she could do that, she might also be able to use his own trick against him; it could be pretty easy to pull someone down if you had a good hold on their head or neck. Even better if you were cutting off air or blood. That could take them down within eight seconds if they didn't break the hold.

Nexus wasn't the only one thinking about how important this little battle was. Of course, Niamh didn't know it was important for Nexus, too--she just knew this would be a defining moment for her, her one chance to prove she was strong after having been rendered so weak, and dammit if she didn't make up for what she lacked in brute strength in sheer willpower!

Anonymous

Hah hah, this was good wasn't it? She wasn't expecting him to be fast like this, or at least this strong. It was good, she couldn't possibly knock him over while he was balanced like this.

Nexus knew the ins and outs of doing all this. He had to be careful to get her into a pin that wouldn't make it so she could reverse it and pin him. He knew a perfect hold, one that went arm bending and putting a knee firmly in her spine. All he had to do was keep her pinned on the ground for twenty seconds! How hard would that be?

She was twisting good wasn't she? This was rather interesting, but he kept his grip to stop her from getting out of it. He could see a layer of sweat on her, and that was good. She was at least tiring somewhat, which meant that if they grappled too long then he would be able to overpower her eventually. He was planning something evil though, he just had to wait for the right moment in order to do this. He figured...if he got low enough, he could do what she just tried. However, he was heavier, and could pin her easily.

With every push that she tried against him, he made sure he simply braced against it. He didn't want to push her and hurt her. He was being nice actually. Funny. The one time he was truly being nice was when they were fighting. Well. When they had been talking for the most part he was being nice as well...but still. He could have easily pinned her, broken some limbs, and had her unconscious from a simple move that Carthax had called 'The Brain Shaker.' But no, he was being good about this. He wanted her to unleash her full potential upon him.

He knew the shiver had been very bad thing, and he wished he hadn't thought of it. Sigh.

Something was wrong. He felt something, an arm around his neck. His eyes went wide open. Memories flooded into his mind at that moment. Every scar on his body was alive at that moment, on fire almost. The ones on his chest, his neck, his face, his legs, arms, everywhere. There was a sort of strangled choke from Nexus as he fell to his knees from the force around his neck.

He was gasping for air though, and felt as if the world was tightening against him. It felt just like a noose, even if it wasn't that tight. He couldn't breathe. Tears formed at the corner of his eyes, which were spinning around in his sockets.

So many memories. He couldn't stop them. Niamh had inadvertently found his weak spot, and with it she had turned the tide of battle completely. Right now he was lost in his own mind, lost in that one bad time.

"S-stop!" He wasn't sure if he was talking to the Drow woman or Niamh at this point. All he knew is that he wanted whatever was holding his neck to let go. Though, this was the perfect time for Niamh to get him into a hold while he was distracted. If only she would let go of his damn neck, he wouldn't be upset about losing.

He'd be happy that he wasn't back with the Drow woman, hanging on that tree with a painful noose cutting his skin and healing him at the same time.

Rhindeer

Niamh hadn't really expected that to work, or at least not to work so well. She broke through his defenses and her left arm hooked around his neck while she quickly anchored the hold by holding onto that wrist with her other hand, her body turning slightly to adjust to the new position. But that wasn't the only thing that was unexpected. That was minor compared to what happened next.

What the...? Her grip was firm though she hadn't even started to apply much pressure yet, but Nexus had frozen up and...made it sound like she was actually choking him, even falling to his knees. For a moment Niamh was still, a very bad move to make though thankfully Nexus didn't seem to be in a position to do anything about it, but then she quickly snapped out of it and focused on the moment.

Had...she just found his weak spot?

Or maybe he was just messing with her to try and lure her into a false sense of security, get her to make a bad move?

Er...right, that seemed highly unlikely. Especially as he was gasping for air, motionless, his eyes wide and rolling.

He was panicking.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Niamh felt a little bad. The guy was panicking, or at least as much as she'd ever seen Nexus panic, and he was actually telling her to stop, his eyes looking oddly moist to her. Was he crying? Ah, whatever! He wasn't fighting back. He was completely helpless, and she wasn't even doing anything! Vaguely, she remembered him showing her that scar of his, the one from when he was apparently hanged by that weird noose, and her mind was able to make that connection then. It seriously scared him...maybe it even brought back some unpleasant memories. But for now, that didn't matter. She didn't stop. She had found his weak point, just as he had found so many of hers in the past, and he was telling her to stop, just as she had told him to stop.

And she wasn't going to stop, either. Not yet at least. No, she planned on exploiting that weak spot just as he had done with hers--wasn't like she was hurting him, he could do with a brief lesson in just what it felt like to feel completely helpless, at someone else's mercy! After all, that was what this was all about for her. This was more of a victory than what she could have ever asked for. She didn't care if she got to pound the stuffing out of him anymore--what mattered the most was that he felt just as she had felt a day ago.

If she got to draw any blood or give out any bruises during this, though, well, that was just an added bonus.

Niamh didn't say a word. Instead, she just tightened her grip on him briefly, partly just because she didn't think it would hurt to freak him out a little more and partly because she just had to in order to make sure this worked. That done, she wasted no time in swiftly adjusting her stance for balance and using her hold on his neck to forcefully yank him down and forward. Only then did she release him, and that was only so she could pounce onto his back, taking full advantage of his moment of weakness. She was quick to pin his arms beneath her knees, right over the backs of his elbows to lock him in place, as she sat crouched over the higher part of his back with her hands planted between his shoulder blades.

And then she began to calmly count, still in her own little concentrated zone. "One...two..." She would make it to twenty, but ten wouldn't hurt. She'd go for ten first.

Hah! Take that, Nexus. Niamh was sure of her victory at this point.

Anonymous

((Hope this works as a reverse for her attack))

If he had been smart, he would have guarded his upper half better. He never should have let her slip through his defences like he had. He should have crushed her when he had the chance. Now here was, memories of a very bad time going through his mind, the feeling that he was dying again, and being completely weak. Nexus knew what it felt like to be weak. That's why he had become a sadist, so he wouldn't feel that way again. She had done it though. She had made him feel weak.

He was...almost glad she didn't listen to him ask for her to stop. The first rule of fighting was no mercy. Ever. More so in this case. However, he felt the pressure around his neck disappear, and he could breathe again. Of course, he had no time to stop himself from hitting the ground flat on his stomach. Erk. That could have been bad, luckily he braced his neck and made sure his face didn't smash painfully into the ground.

His arms were pinned beneath her knees. Somewhat. She was light, this was ridiculous. How could she even believe that this would stop his arms? She SHOULD have used her knees to press his arms into his side, but instead, she simply sat her knees on them. First mistake. The second mistake was letting go of his neck. She was pinning his shoulder blades as well. That was fine. She should have exerted a full force onto the top of his shoulders, in order to grind them into the ground.

This was very reminsicent of a fight he had once gotten into. How was he going to get out of this? Exert full strength and weight of course. He heard her counting. Heh. Good try. His toes went straight, pressing into the ground. He had to do this just right.

That's when he struck. Using the full force of his arms he brought them spread eagled, right from under her knees. All he had to do was go fast and swing them like clubs and they were free. However he followed through with his movement, his arms swinging up to grab her wrists. Thank god he had limbered up or this might not have worked as he planned it.

With a firm grip on her wrist he pulled her forward. This was an jerky quick movement that would bring her to tumble over him and land on her back. With his feet having been properly put into place he began to move, twisting himself around her and swinging a leg over torso,

From there it was easy, no doubt having the wind knocked out of her from being toppled. He sat on her. Plain and simple. His knees were digging into her side, while his feet were pressing against her own legs to stop them from moving too much. He was sitting more on her thighs, this was to stop her legs from pushing her body upwards and bucking him off. He had his hands still on her arms on her upper forearms at this point putting pressure on them as he pressed her into the ground.

Nexus had this strange look on his face though. It wasn't anger though. It was...pride. For a very good reason too. Niamh had managed to take advantage of his weak spot, and use it to her advantage. However, her poor execution of pinning him had been her down fall.

"One one thousand. Two one thousand. Three one thousand." He was exerting all his weight, trying to evenly distribute it on her body to keep her pinned beneath his frame. He also didn't want those hands of hers getting near his neck. Would she be able to break the pin however? Perhaps. He would like to see her at least squirm and struggle. Ah. He did like it when she squirmed.

Rhindeer

[I'd say it does! XD Hope this works too, ahaha!]

She knew she should have gone with a joint lock, instead of being nice and just pinning him. It couldn't have been that easy.

Damn...

Niamh only had time to widen her eyes and gasp before, suddenly, his hands were on her wrists and she was tumbling head over heels to land hard on her back, the air leaving her lungs in a loud "Oof!". For a moment she was winded and dazed, and of course a moment was all it took to turn the tides, and that's what happened here, because before she could twist around to lock her legs or arms around him, he had pinned her, his full weight on her thighs, knees pressed to her sides, feet against her legs, and arms held flat. Crap! She stared up at his face for a second, still getting her bearings, and was surprised to see the expression he wore.

One thing was for certain, it wasn't anger.

But she'd just have to wonder about that later. Because right now, she was kind of pinned and the battle was far from over as far as she was concerned. She just didn't give up that easily.

Her first instinct, of course, was to buck upwards to try and throw him, but with the way he was positioned, that wouldn't work and would only be a wasted effort, and to try and free her arms would be useless, too. No, there was no point in struggling yet. She just had to keep calm, quickly assess the situation, and use what was available.

Which happened to be her legs. She might be pinned, he might be heavier and stronger, but if she executed this right, she could throw him off balance; a lot of this was about balance, too, after all, so it wasn't over yet. His weight was on her hips and thighs, and his shins and feet were along her legs. Perfect. She hoped. Poor Nexus, though. He wouldn't get much squirming out of her yet; she was determined to keep her head and stay calm, and, well...until she was horribly losing and there was no way out, that was generally when she started to struggle like mad, because that was when she was out of options.

Besides, she knew how bad this probably looked right now. No way she was going to squirm!

As Nexus started to count, Niamh started to act, and act fast because she was running out of time. But instead of trying to draw her legs up, which wouldn't have worked as they were held flat to the ground, she quickly threw her legs open instead, as hard as she could, relying on the strength she possessed there in order to create some space between she and Nexus. Besides, the action would also abruptly push Nexus' legs apart which she hoped would throw off his center of gravity and maybe make him jerk forward a little. Even if it only tripped him up for a second, that was all the time she required; every little second was valuable.

Not pausing once in her actions, she used the widened stance of her legs for much needed leverage and began to twist sharply beneath him, rolling onto her side. It was awkward and a bit painful, considering his grip on her forearms because that only put more stress on her shoulders, but it still put her in a good postion to push up from her side in a desperate attempt to dislodge him. That was the part that took brute strength, trying to throw him off, and she was indeed struggling a bit now, her breathing becoming a bit sharper.

Hopefully that would jolt him enough to get him to ease up his hold on her arms--because the second he did, and she would wrench them free and commence the punching and neck grabbing.

Nope, she wasn't done yet.