Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bjërna, Koala and Boy. Hey, wait...

Started by Anonymous, February 16, 2007, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Whispering among themselves, the men looked aprehensive and nervous about the presence of this new fighter and gripped their swords, before one of them started to take subtle steps back. He turned on his heels and started running, and the remaining followed his example, all quite drunk and tripping over themselves more often than not, hurrying when Balunga roared meneacingly.

The bjërna felt then a presence behind him and turned his head to see that it was Ayame, so he didn't panic when he saw her touch Avane. With a small, woried roar, Balunga turned around so that he nudged Avane's head a little. One of her hands was placed on Balunga's muzzle as she bit on her lower lip and tensed her muscles, trying to stop the pain of her horn in vain.

The siofra felt Ayame's hand, but didn't answer right away for lack of breath or even the ability at that moment to vocalize anything asides from pain. It had been a rather brutal swing, but the falchion's edge had been rusty, so it wasn't as worse as it could have been. Still, it hurt a lot. The younger girl finally shook her head to answer, in a way, Ayame's question. There was really nothing she could do, the pain wouldn't leave magically because there was no broken tissue to mend or anything to calm the pain - well, there were, but Avane doubted the Hiroko knew which leaves should she mix with which plants to calm a pain like that one. She didn't mind, she knew it was normal. After all, she wasn't a druid. And then, finally, Avane regained her voice, though a little muffled because of her tensing up.

"No, it's... My horn. My horn.", she pressed the hand on Balunga's muzzle to her forehead and eyes, "A siofra's horn is the most sensible part of the body.", she explained, between little gasps, "They hit me. It's not your fault.", she shakily rose to a sitting position, with the help of Balunga's head on her back so she didn't fall on it, "Did they hurt you?", she asked in a meek voice, like that of a person with a headache that is pulsing against the walls of the head.

Anonymous

While Ayame was worried, it was apparent that there was very little she could do to help her new friend, so she did her best to appear calm and collected. She shook her head in response to Avane's question. "It's only a scratch. Nothing too serious, although I shall have to get some bandages on it as soon as I return home," she said. Glancing at Balunga, she continued, "Let me help you onto Balunga's back, and we can ride to our home. We can rest there and patch up our wounds, and fix something to eat, as well."

After putting away her fans back into her wide sleeves, Ayame assisted Avane in getting onto Balunga's back just as Tsubaki returned from retrieving the chakram she had thrown earlier.

"Geez, what a bunch of cowards and party-ruiners," Tsubaki said with a sigh of disappointment, watching the men's retreating forms in the distance. She reluctantly put away her chakrams. "I was just starting to have some fun, too." It was then that she noticed the siofra, and at seeing Avane slumping on Balunga's back, she raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Oh? It seems that Ayame-neesan wasn't the only one to get a good beating. Don't worry, we'll fix you right up and then you can wear your battle scars with pride!"

Ayame sighed in exasperation and then winced as the wound on her leg throbbed again. "Come on, Tsubaki, let's just go home before the barman's miracle remedy wears off and you pass out again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was beginning to move closer to the horizon, painting the skies with peaches, reds, and purples, and reflecting calmly against the sea when they reached the outskirts of the city and a small yet cozy-looking cottage. By that time, the adrenaline that had coursed through Tsubaki's body during the fight had worn off and she was on the verge of passing out yet again, slumping over Ayame's shoulders, her arms dangling. Ayame, however, was more concerned about Avane. Tsubaki, after all, just needed to sleep off her hang over.

As they reached the cottage, Ayame dismounted and helped Tsubaki and Avane do the same. Stroking Balunga's fur consolingly, she said, "I'm sorry, but you're far too big to fit through our door. Still, I know you're worried about Avane so she can sleep in one of the rooms on the ground floor with a window for you to look in and visit her, all right?"

Turning back to Avane and Sé and said, "Please, come inside and feel free to relax. Tsubaki, get us some bandages and medicines. I'll prepare some listerblossom tea to help dull the pain. I have a feeling we'll need it."

Anonymous

Avane nodded to Ayame as she offered to help her, and stood up rather shakily, holding her head on her hand, looking a bit miserable and, seeing as people passed by there and they were in front of a tavern, she did look like she was going through the worst hung over in history. Balunga lowered himself to his belly and Avane sloppily rolled to his top, groaning a little. Sé woke up just then, and looking at the white-haired siofra, he made a strange little worried sound and nestled on her lap. She smiled and caressed the little creature's fur with her free hand, so that to assure that everything was all right, which seemed to be enough, for he nestled against her and closed his eyes to rest.

Looking at Tsubaki as she jested about her current state. Avane didn't take it as an offense and just smiled, as if to confirm what the tempestous twin said. The girl shrugged softly, and helped both two to Balunga's back, who had no difficulties carrying the three girls, following Ayame's instruction to get to the twin's place. Avane didn't complain nor fell asleep - though she very much would want to - but slowly the pain started to fade, however, the headache was still strong. She watched the town a little hazily as they passed by it, heading towards the woods.

As they reached the nice cottage, Avane let Ayame help Tsubaki, telling Balunga to lower himself to make it easier. She smiled at the Hiroko as she helped her to dismount and rubbed Balunga's big head happily, as Sé floated a little to the bjërna's neck, where it was very warm.

The druid girl smiled at Ayame at her kind works to Balunga. "Don't worry", she said in a whisper-y voice because of her headache, "He doesn't like indoors that much.", she squeezed his muzzle, making him roar a bit, before nudging the girl towards the door. "Take care of Sé."

She grabbed her bag from the half-saddle of Balunga with little strength, following Ayame inside the house, "That's okay, I have here other herbs that can work a little faster on my pain and might help you and your sister as well. Props of being a druid.", she laughed, but quickly regret it as it made her head ring painfully. She whimpered silently and rubbed her head carefully.

Anonymous

Ayame smiled gratefully at Avane's offer. "Ah, excellent! Unfortunately, the strongest herb we have here is listerblossom. Tsubaki can't stand the taste of anything stronger so we don't generally keep it in the house, but since she doesn't seem to cut up, she won't have to drink any of it this time."

Ayame entered the house, followed by Avane and then Tsubaki, who closed the door behind her. The house was simplistic in design and was obviously designed to feel open and spacious, even though the house itself was not large. None of the rooms seemed to be cut off by complete walls, except for the bedrooms closer to the back of the house. Off to the right was a common area with a traditional low wooden table with colourful cushions scattered around it to sit or kneel on. To the left, was a small kitchen with just enough space for a sink, stove, countertops and some cupboards. Further down and into a hallway were some bedrooms, as well as a training room.

Tsubaki yawned and stretched, and then made her way down said hallway to retrieve some bandages. Meanwhile, Ayame turned into the kitchen, filling a kettle with some clean well water they kept in a large pot and set it on the stove to boil. As she did so, she spoke to Avane.

"Unfortunately, we don't have a guest bedroom since we never really have overnight visitors," she explained, "but you may sleep in my room. I can pull out an extra futon and sleep in the training room." After all, she thought, it wasn't proper for a guest to sleep in a training room. A guest always had the best of what the host had to offer. That was what Kimona had taught them.

Smiling, Ayame waved Avane into the common room to sit down. "You should rest. You don't look so good. I'll begin preparing something to eat."

Some time later, Tsubaki returned, changed out of her black kimono and now wearing a simple emerald green yukata, with salves and bandages, as well as some wet cloths. Ayame cleaned her leg wound, wincing as the wet cloth made contact with her cut skin, and then quickly applied some salves and wrapped the bandages tightly around. Flexing her leg experimentally, Ayame nodded with satisfaction and stood up to finishing preparing the food while Tsubaki lay back onto the floor cushions and fell asleep again.

Later, after Ayame had spread out the dishes of food onto the table, they sat around and piled food onto their plates. Tsubaki, refreshed from her nap, seemed to make her food disappear as soon as it landed on her plate. Ayame, now changed out of her ruined and blood-stained kimono and in a white yukata, had a little more discipline and ate calmly, little by little.

Sighing in pleasant satisfaction with the food now in her stomach, Tsubaki leaned back and turned to Avane.

"So you're a siofra, eh? What brings a siofra all the way here in Cerenis? Tell me about yourself. Wait, wait. First thing's first -  you never properly introduced yourself. Well, come to think of it, I never properly introduced myself either," she said with a wide grin. From her place on her cushions, she made a small bow from the waist. "My name is Tsubaki, Ayame's twin sister. Younger twin sister, that is. And you are?"

Anonymous

Avane smiled at Ayame and entered after Tsubaki. She stood a bit at the door, watching the house with amazement. She loved pratically any houses, but she had a preference for the small, comfortable ones, just like this one. Perhaps it was because she had lived most of her life outdoors, on a forest, cuddling up against Balunga while inside a cave if too cold outside. Sure, she might have had a house before she was exiled, but that didn't mean she could remember what it felt like. Well, back to reality and present time, Avane watched the house with interest, holding her forehead lightly, which wasn't throbbing as hard as it had been before, but still hurt a bit. Thankfully, there was a little salve that would help with that.

The siofra turned to Ayame as she spoke about the sleeping arrangement. She didn't know what a futon was, but she guessed it was some kind of bed. Still, she shook her head barely - she didn't want to make many movements with it yet. "No, please. Let me sleep there, I don't want to be a bother. You're doing more than you should.", Avane smiled and followed Ayame to the common room. She sat down slowly and gently pulled the strap of her bag away from her shoulder and the belts, to place the sword on the floor, by her side.

She reached into the bag, pulled out a small pouch from where she pulled out a paste of sort, gooey and pale yellow, that she rubbed softly around the horn with her eyes closed. The substance would help with the pain. Avane would have offered it to the other girls, but this was specifically made by herself to take care of that sensitive horn; she wasn't sure it would work on humans.

As all were fixed and Ayame went to prepare dinner, Avane took out, from the bag, three tiny white flowers and a handful of a strange looking salmon-pink ivy, and a bowl, to where she let the little pieces of the herbs she began cutting fall to. As Ayame returened from the kitchen with the food, Avane gave the bowl to the Hiroko, "Just pour this to hot water. It's a nice tasting tea and it makes one feel more refreshed."

After having eaten, she leaned back a little and turned to Tsubaki. "Ah, yes. It's a pleasure.", she subtly copied the bow, "My name is Avane-Sïve.", she gave her a bright smile, "And I'm a druid. I've lived since I remember a forest up to the North. I've been travelling, to learn about the world, the cultures, to understand them.", she smiled and laughed a little, "I reckon I'm a bit of a curious cat. But, what about you? What do you two do?"

Anonymous

Ayame smiled faintly as she graciously took away Avane's herbs into the kitchen, tossing the cut pieces into the boiling water. As she did so, she said, "Nonsense, Avane, you'll sleep in my room. The training room is quite comfortable. Besides, my room's window faces the forest and Balunga and Sé will find it easier to hide there, away from any prying eyes."

Meanwhile, Tsubaki nonchalantly waved a hand in the air in response to Avane's questions. "Oh, we do a little of this and a little of that. We serve the goddess Kimona, protect her followers. Other than that, we do as we please."

"I think you stretch that last statement a little far," Ayame broke in from her place in the kitchen. She began to take out some ceramic tea cups from the cupboards, as well as honey, milk, and sugar, as the tea steeped. "You need to have more dignity as a Hiroko."

Tsubaki snorted a laugh. "And you need to learn how to have more fun, Aya-neesan! I'll bet Avane here knows how to have fun." Turning back to the siofra and looking at her questioningly, she said, "What do you do for fun?"

Ayame placed the tea kettle, the tea cups, and everything else on a black lacquered wooden tray with a pretty design of pale pink cherry blossoms in one corner, and set it down onto the table in the common area before her sister and Avane. She knelt down on one of the cushions, and as she poured out the tea, she replied, "Tsubaki, Avane is tired and recovering from her injuries. Don't pester her with silly questions like that."

"Oh, she's fine," Tsubaki said, rolling her eyes. She winked and grinned at Avane, but then her eyes brightened as an idea struck her. "Hey, I know what's fun! Avane, you say you're a siofra druid and those swords you have there aren't for amateurs. It's clear only a master could wield blades like those, so you must be a fearsome warrior. How 'bout we have a little friendly duel in the training room? Whaddya say?"

Ayame sighed and also turned towards their guest. "Avane, if you still don't feel up to it, you don't have to...but it's entirely your choice."

Anonymous

"No, please, I insist.", Avane-Sïve smiled and shook her head, "Balunga and Sé will be all right. I wouldn't feel right if I were to steal your room.", she laughed and turned then to Tsubaki, nodding at her explanation. She would have asked what - or who - Kimona was, but she didn't want to sound too stupid. Thankfully, Ayame interrupted the pause, bringing the tea and the others. She smiled and helped her distributing the ceramic tea cups.

When the more wild twin asked her question, Avane rose her eyebrows, "Me? Oh, I do this and that.", she smiled. "You see, one that explores doesn't exactly have much time to have hobbies, as silly as it may sound. Exploring is already such a fun activity. Learning as well. But, I guess I really like swimming.", she seemed to pause for a long time, frowning slightly, thinking carefully of her words. Yeah, she better not say other activities she enjoyed doing for fun. It's not that she thought as being immoral - being a siofra it was only completely natural to be a fun activity any sexual intercourse, but, around human and human-like people, casual sex seemed to be a rather unscrupulous activity. So, she prefered to keep her mouth quiet - poor thing, not knowing that the Hiroko had the exceptional ability of reading minds. "Yes, swimming would be it.", she nodded. "I like fishing as well. And to read. I like reading.", she rolled her eyes a little, thinking of any other activities, but she wasn't sure she had more. She probably had, her memory wasn't that good, though.

Adding a spoonful of honey to the tea, which had a rather neutral taste, the siofra sipped it and smiled at Ayame about her worry. "Oh, don't be concerned, Ayame. I like talking, sometimes a little too much.", Avane laughed and sipped a little more of the tea, looking up to Tsubaki as she did so, smiling at her and listening to her propose of a small duel. Arching her black eyebrows, Avane pulled her lips away from the tea cup she held in her hands and smiled. "Actually, this sword is rather normal. The only difference from this one sword here and any other from a soldier of any kingdom is that I actually keep mine finely kept and try to keep it as bloodless as I can.", she smiled, "And I'm more of a pacifist than a warrior, really. But, that sounds challenging.", she laughed and nodded, sipping some more tea, "Plus, it can be used as an excuse to fight against what I think it is a fine battler. You were outstanding in the little quarrel we had with those barbarians.", she put down the tea cup and grinned.

"Very well then!", she chuckled happily and outstretched her hand to shake Tsubaki's, "Consider your challenge accepted.", Avane laughed and she grabbed her sword, pulling herself up to her feet. She turned to Ayame and beamed, "Don't be so worried, Ayame. I'm perfectly fine.", the tea did gave a rather refreshing feeling to them. The siofra turned to the younger Hiroko and grinned, "Lead the way."

Anonymous

Ayame quirked an eyebrow and Tsubaki only smirked as Avane tried to cover up her interests. Not that it particularly bothered them, but it was amusing how she tried to avoid it, nonetheless. Hiroko had no objection to sexual activities, but for them, serving and dedicating their lives to Kimona always came first. Putting others before their goddess was unthinkable.

The twins said nothing, however, not wanting to embarrass the siofra. Meanwhile, Tsubaki poured in a generous helping of honey into her tea and gulped it down quickly. Grinning with bright eyes, she said, "I knew you'd like the idea!" Leaping to her feet, she motioned down towards the hallway. "The training room is down here, although if you don't mind, could you use one of our practice weapons instead of your swords? They're fine blades, but there's no use in getting hurt even more over a simple fun duel."

Tsubaki made her way to the training room with Ayame, carrying her still-full cup of tea in her hands, trailing behind. The training room was the largest room in the entire house with a polished wooden floor and ivory-coloured walls and the sunset light filtered through some windows on the far side of the room. Woven tapestries hung on the walls in intervals, and between the tapestries were a multitude of weapons. Most of the weapons were training weapons. That is, they were dulled enough so that they would not inflict damage on one's opponent, although a direct hit would cause pain. It would not cut through the skin, however. The weapons were varied - metal katanas, wooden katanas, claymores, polestaffs, halberds, sais. They were all there.

Tsubaki entered the room and removed a wooden katana from where it hung on the wall. She swung it around a little, testing its weight and balance. Ayame took her cup of tea and knelt down in one corner to observe.

Tsubaki raised an eyebrow at her sister. "Aya-neesan, you're not going to participate?"

Ayame smiled a little and sipped her tea. "I think I shall stay out of this one and just watch."

"You really do need to just let loose and have some fun," Tsubaki replied wryly. Resting the wooden katana on her shoulder, she turned to Avane, winked, and said, "If you want to duel Ayame, too, you need to ask her directly. But for now, you can choose whichever weapon you want. We keep all our training things here. Our real weapons we keep in our own rooms. You're free to help yourself to whatever you wish in this room."

And with that, Tsubaki readied herself into a fighting stance, waiting for Avane to choose her weapon and strike.