Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Market trip

Started by Anonymous, June 05, 2007, 08:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

“It seems like only last week we were here,â€? Katrina said with a smile as she looked around the open marketplace, carefully leading her horse by the reins.  As much of a homebody as she was, she nonetheless enjoyed being the one to go to Cerenis for market days.  There was something cheering in the bright colours and the bustle, and it gave welcome relief from dealing with the family tensions.

“That’s because it was just last week, my dear sister.â€? Tyroshaun’s voice was sardonicâ€"in that there was a mild inflection of “you’re an idiotâ€? to it.  â€œWe were here to pick up the presents from Uncle Matte for Nadi’s birthday because he couldn’t make it.â€?  Despite the ever-present sword buckled at his side, he seemed rather relaxed, laconic, evenâ€"except the alert look to his eyes as they took in the scene.  Not that he was worried, though it paid to be alert, but… well. Katrina had a few errands to run, and Tyroshaun had to see his uncle Kenwyn.  That meant the market place.  At least it’s not the busy hour, he thought rather sourly.  There were enough people in this place as it was.  One hand was laid comfortingly on his horse’s neck, trying to keep the normally energetic animal from getting nervous from the crowd. The young nobleman made a note to remember that he really ought to ride another horse if he had to be in town.  It’s just been so long that I forgot again…

“Oh hush.â€? Katrina swatted at him.  â€œYou know what I mean.â€?

“Not really, no.  You said it seemed like we’d been here last week. We were.â€?

Tossing her hair a bit, Katrina said mock snootily, “I mean that it somehow seems like it was hardly any time at all since our last visit here, even when we’ve been away for a while.  It’s a nice feeling, don’t you think? Welcoming.â€?

“If you say so,â€? Tyroshaun shrugged.  He was only thinking of how fast they could get this over with.  Or if he could possibly escape to track down his uncle.  Or go find some new books to buy.  He pushed a stray hair out of his eyes with the hand full of reins and glanced at his sister.  She looked positively bright, despite the slightly dusty look of her riding skirt, and he realized that his mother really was rightâ€"Katrina needed to get out more.  In point of fact, she needed a life of her own.  Not that she’ll listen to me on the subject. Even if I could convince her I don’t need looking after, and that Nadia doesn’t need it at all, and Aidan and ‘vril are long past the age where they need someone around all the time, she’d just point out I don’t get out at all, if I can help it.  â€œAnd I repeat, it really hasn’t been that long since we were last here. I don’t know why you’re so astonished.â€?

Katrina just looked at him out of the corner of her eye and sighed.  â€œYou just have to take all the fun out of it, don’t you?â€?

“You’re here for fun. I have business with our uncle. I don’t have to enjoy it.�

“Tyroshaun…�

“I’m joking, ‘trina.â€? Tyroshaun hoped she didn’t notice the way he was twisting his signet.  He always did that when he was nervous.

“Sometimes I don’t know with you.� She went back to scanning the shops and the crowd, trying to decide where to start.

Anonymous

"Tyroshaun Kaleaster, son of the Duke of Glauster.  Why I never expected to see you here in such a place?" came from the voice of Cyrus Medirein, Lord of Tower Medirein that resided nigh the town of Adalen.  He trotted his white gelding through the crowd of people towards Tyroshaun and his sister.  His black-hilted blade, with it's crimson diamond embedded at the pommel, slunk lazily at his waist.  Its handle was designed in a twisted fashion like tree roots growing upon its magnificent silver blade.

He smiled passively and continued, "I did not realize you had a flair for the grounds of ordinary people.  What has brought you to these parts of Serendipity?"  Cyrus hadn't the mind nor wish to ignite ancient rivalries that once existed long ago before his sudden birth.  He only wished to remain optimistic in earning an ally rather than to merit another worthy adversary.  The last thing he certainly needed was a powerful family after his head and there simply were just too many bodies to account for on his hands even after he dispatched from the Connlaoth military.

Anonymous

With a purely internal sigh the viscount of Aldanrin realized he really couldn’t avoid a direct address like that.  Mentally sifting through the various names, voices, and faces of the nobility, he gave a rather curt nod, for once looking up at someoneâ€"rare for him.  In reality, there was nothing rude meant by the curtness; Tyroshaun was always like that.  â€œMerdirein,â€? he said shortly.  â€œHardly remarkable.  Cerenis is the largest city after the capital.â€? And, unlike the capital, it didn’t have court.  In his eyes, that made it by far the preferable one.  He tugged somewhat uneasily on the cuff of his dark blue doublet, concealing his unease by the cool look in his eyes, which flicked over the other lord thoughtfully.

Katrina smiled politely at Cyrus with a very slight curtsy, privately wishing her brother would be a little more polite.  â€œAnd the market is easily the most varied and interesting in the kingdom.â€?  She smoothed her skirt a little with her free handâ€"not from any true self-consciousness, but from the knowledge that she did have to act the part of wealthy noblewoman.  And given that her riding clothes were far more serviceable and practical than fashionable, it didn’t hurt to look as good as possible.  â€œArca may have the most in volume, but the goods here tend to be somewhat more… exotic.  And more interesting, as a result,â€? she added, surreptitiously laying her hand on Tyroshaun’s arm to keep his temper (always uncertain in crowds) more in check.

Listening with some impatienceâ€"and wishing he were somewhere a little less crowdedâ€"Tyroshaun broke in, “Ordinary people are just that, meaning there’s nothing particularly out of the ordinary in being within the same marketplace.â€?  He did not add that, for the most part, he found those not of the nobility infinitely preferable to those of his own station.  His eyes flicked over Cyrus again, and a faint smile crossed his lips as he mentally compared their clothing and swords.  His own sword was apparently simple, even the hilt steel, except for the leather-bound gripâ€"though it was certainly still the very best quality.  At least I’m not quite so conspicuously nobility, he thought with some faint relief, twisting the Aldanrin signet on his little finger absently.  The less he was noticed, the less he had to deal with people.

“Besides, one cannot always remain at home,â€? Katrina added with a slightly reproving glance at her brother.  They neither of them wanted to excite old family dislikes, and she knew that Tyroshaun was only too capable accidentally saying something wrong.  With another, slightly warmer smile for Cyrus (to make up for her brother’s slight, naturally occurring incivility), she asked, “And yourself? Does anything in particular bring you out of you away from home?â€?

Anonymous

"Aye, there be reason behind my jaunt.  I seemed to be in search of a very powerful and rare spice on the market.  A friend of mine seems to be marrying soon and they enjoy cooking so much that I thought I would be courteous enough to purchase some for them as an early wedding gift, " Cyrus answered confidently, perhaps too confident for his own good.  One of the last necessities for him was sound like a pompous jackass in front of people whom many of his much older relatives despised.  Despite his bold front, he cringed inside from his foolish words.

Reaching up to his neck, he readjusted his cravat and stepped down from his gelding, his new, knee-length, leather riding boots thudding on the ground.  His very attire reeked of "nobleman".  A smooth frock coat, scandalously snug breeches, and heavenly white shirt.  The sleeves of his coat were rolled up to relieve his arms of heat.  But he supposed it also helped that he was currently in a seaside market, where the waves crashed upon the shore like the firey smoke of a dragon's mouth.  The cool temperament was enough to force back the offensive heat.

The only thing on him that made him a smudge less than conspicuous was that blasted Blade of Medirein that hung at his side.  Though as extravagant as it was, it helped him camouflage with other weapon holders there.  Cyrus knew himself that he shouldn't even bother bringing the weapon with him on his journey, he knew there was always someone stupid enough to try and steal it from him.  His overly confident mouth proved that he knew, but that didn't stop him from foolhardiness.

"Ahh, yes. Lady Katrina, it is as good to see you as this day is bright.  You are as youthful and as beautiful as ever," he complimented, noting the absence of verbal diffusion.  "How now, Sir Tyroshaun," he added, "I see you haven't brought your man with you.  I suppose your intentions here are solo.  Have you come to see any of your family by any chance?"

Anonymous

Katrina kept her polite smile under the young lord’s compliments.  â€œThank you.  You’re looking well yourself, my lord.â€?  She was used to them, reallyâ€"she’d been dodging them and like attentions for years at court.  Besides which, what part of her mind wasn’t busy working out ways to keep Tyroshaun in check was actually somewhat amused by Cyrus’s manner of speaking.  It was a form she’d never really mastered entirely herself.  She knew how to be polite, and generally that sufficed. “It is very thoughtful of you to do them that favour,â€? she commended him.  â€œAt least it will be a useful gift, as opposed to a trinket of some kind merely for show or the sake of demonstrating friendship by spending money.â€? Her hazel eyes showed every sign of sincerity and good will, despite the slight bite of her words.  Katrina’s views on societal standards of expressing affection were really rather strong.

Tyroshaun groaned inwardly when Cyrus dismounted, as he realized that he really would have to continue this discussion.  Still, at least with the man off his horse, they were as a group slightly less obvious than beforeâ€"the stares had been unsettling him.  And the young viscount had been forced to become accustomed to stares simply based on his own looks.  Any young man standing head and shoulders above the rest of the worldâ€"particularly when he is rather good-looking, even if his golden-blond hair is tied back in a pony tail that on anyone smaller would have made him look vaguely femaleâ€"tends to get a few stares.  But nonetheless, he couldn’t stand it.  I just need to get to uncle Kenwyn’s, and I can find a nice book and read for a while, or discuss that last history book I borrowed from him… However, his mind, though calmed enough by the prospect of a quiet afternoon to handle the market atmosphere somewhat, was immediately caught by the rest of Merdirein’s speech.

His amber eyes went frosty.  True, compliments to any of his sisters always made him wary, when his father wasn’t around to deal with the situation, but he knew his big sister could take care of herself.  As a result, that was not the florid speech to Katrina that bothered him, not at all.  He understood, having heard something about the history the two families had, that the man was trying to be friendly.  On the other hand, he also was not exactly used to inquiries about his business from near strangers. Nor was he used to those people using his given nameâ€"usually they used Aldanrin or his family name.  He tended to be a little too disinclined to socializing to encourage familiarities.  â€œI had some minor business,â€? he said somewhat coldly.  â€œNothing that required any assistance.â€?  He took advantage of his horse’s shying a little at a passing small child to look away and soothe the animal.

Shooting her brother another remonstrating look, Katrina tried to cover his hostility.  â€œActually, I wanted to run a few errands in town,â€? the red-headed young woman explained with her smile, to which she had added a little warmth, for the sake of compensating.  â€œMy brother kindly volunteered to come with me in case I needed help.â€?  She smiled and stepped aside for a young mother with a couple of small children.  One of them stopped to goggle at the horses for a moment, and Katrina suppressed a smile at the slight giggle it gaveâ€"she couldn’t tell whether the small creature was male or female, it was that androgynous.  She turned back to the men, still with a smile. “I always enjoy seeing peopleâ€"really seeing them.  The nearby villages are delightful, of course, but there’s nothing quite like a big city, really.â€?

Tyroshaun muttered under his breath, “No. Cities are dirtier and have more obvious poverty.�

Anonymous

"What an honorable conviction, milady.  I agree that I would enjoy the company of the commoners in Adalen if only the feeling was mutual.  I hardly doubt that any legends of my family have been dispelled by now.  It seems that just about everyone there thinks of me malignant even though I've given up my magical blood long ago.  But if that be their brassbound conclusion then so be it for I haven't another decision," Cyrus vented exasperatedly.  He raked his hands threw his dark-brown waves and smiled, brushing back his annoyance.  Continuing, "Rather I do enjoy companionship, its quite scarce in Tower Medirein, even with all the housemaids and servants about."

As he spoke he marked the kind silence Katrina showed towards the children that gaped up at the horses.  Casa'agen, Cyrus' gelding, had shifted comfortably at their gaze and whinnied at the attention.  Casa'agen's age was old enough to prepare him for any observance from rambunctious rugrats and patience to endure their groping hands.  Cyrus regarded the motherly behavior from Katrina with careful appeal.

"My lord, Sir Tyroshaun, I noticed some contempt hinted somewhere in your voice.  I hope I have not offended you in some way.  And if I had, I apologize for it.  I know there have been terrible disputes in the past between our two families but I would like you to know tensions have lessened since then and I'd like to think for you to think of me as a friend," Cyrus commented solemnly.  His expression pleaded but as he swiftly moved on he said, "You two should really come and visit my estate sometime.  You are always welcome upon my word.  And if you wouldn't mind, I would like to accompany you in your errands Lady Katrina, seeing as your brother is in little need of assistance with his business.  May I?"  His eyes showed the vibrancy of his youth and his determination to make things better than they were in the past.

Damnation, his mind cursed to himself, If only my blasted great-great-great grandfather hadn't made things so bloody difficult for his descendants.  He resented his swarthy ancestor that made his life all the more a hell.  Ancient feuds, magical swords, mysterious legends, and sorcery weren't exactly the kind of things Cyrus expected for his ancestor to leave him.

Anonymous

[OOC: Er. Sorry 'bout the length. They got talkative. *Sigh* They're like that sometimes.]

Katrina and Tyroshaun exchanged a long look at Cyrus’s mention of dislike due to a magical heritage.  They knew all too well what the dangers of trying to ignore mage giftsâ€"and they, for who magic had always been a central fact of their lives, the very prospect was too painful to consider.  As the viscount murmured something about how he thought things were supposed to be better here than in Connlaoth, Katrina ran a hand through her hair and said rather soberly, “We were lucky enough to be spared that, with both our family’s tendency to produce mages and a rather… magic-ridden area in general.â€?

“It’s more of a fact that our magic has been the reason they’re safe more often than not, so they tend to look upon us rather… gratefully,â€? Tyroshaun added with actual warmth in his voice, although he winced faintly and stiffened again almost immediately, as a group of chattering teenagers passed them.  He shifted a little towards his horse, as if for shielding.

“I have to say, though, that I cannot imagine trying to renounce magic,â€? Katrina continued.  â€œIt seems far too painful.  â€¦Not to mention dangerous.  You have really had no training?â€?  Both siblings had immediately considered the somewhat frightening prospect of untrained magic erupting.  It was something their father had warned them aboutâ€"told them to try to prevent, if they could, by teaching those who had it the basics of control.

A faint, humourless sort of smile had touched Tyroshaun’s lips in the meantime.  â€œBelieve me when I say, Merdirein, that the idiocies and petty quarrels of the past are of little to no interest to me, beyond of course academically and for the sake of amusement.  I know what the current state of affairs is because, remarkably, I happen to exist.â€?  His rich baritone had once again taken on that sharp edge again, though somewhat tempered from before.  â€œBesides which, there are two small points of language which I think need a little clarification.â€?

“Tyroshaun…� Katrina glanced uneasily between the two, and wondered briefly if this was how her mother had felt when her father was young, hot-headed, and almost as prone to faux-pas as his son.

He, however, ignored her.  â€œContempt implies a conveyance of a sense of superiority which was not a part of the conversation one way or another.  Irritation is the term you were looking for, I think.â€?  Of course, he didn’t realize just how his attitude tended to be taken despite the overwhelming evidence.  â€œThe second point is your use of the word friend.â€? He didn’t see Katrina rub her temple tiredly.  â€œFriends are people you know well and can confide in.  They are not, as the general population seems to define them, simply people you talk to.  Seeing as I’ve talked to you a handful of times in my life, the term isn’t really applicable.â€?  There was a slight lecture inflection now, a totally unconscious bad habit he’d learned from his father.  Then the faint smile was back.  â€œOther people are acquaintancesâ€"namely, those people who are not plotting your imminent demise. Those are enemies.  Given that I find it highly unlikely you’ll draw a dagger and try to stab me at any point in the near future, I believe you fall under the former of the two categories. Besides,â€? he added under his breath, somewhat sulkily, “I’m not a sir. I didn’t think the ceremonial crap was worth the knighthood.â€?

Knowing that was the best that could be hoped for from her brother when he was so tense, Katrina decided to step in before Tyroshaun damaged perfectly innocent conversation any more than he already had.  â€œThat’s very kind of you to offer, my lord. Tyroshaun,â€? and her brother glanced at her, “just go on ahead.  I’ll be perfectly fine, and if you do have business you’d best attend to it.â€? With a slightly grateful look Tyroshaun hesitated, then stepped forward for a brief, quiet talk. “Yes, yes, I’ll nudge you when I’m done.â€?

Tyroshaun nodded and stepped back, and after a moment said in a slightly more conciliatory tone, “There’s an inn, a couple of blocks downâ€"Katrina can show you. It’s a nice, quiet sort of place,â€? hence why he gravitated there, “and they have good stables.  Dragging your horse along is rather difficult with all the small stalls and kiosks.â€?  He was going there himself, as a matter of fact, but… if he didn’t say as much, he might have a chance to move faster.  The sooner he was in his uncle’s library, the better.  More hesitantly he added, “If you’re not busy afterwards, it’s also good for a quiet drink and meal, if you like.â€?  It was his equivalent of an apology, and he knew he’d be far more likable himself in a less crowded setting. He kissed his sister’s cheek and nodded once to Cyrus, then quickly pulled himself free and headed off towards the inn to drop his horse off. It was so much easier to move without it.

Katrina turned back to Cyrus with an apologetic smile.  â€œIt’s nothing personal, reallyâ€"he’s just always like this.â€? Not entirely accurate, but it would suffice.  â€œHe’s much nicer once you get to know him. Assuming you do,â€? she added with a sigh.  She couldn’t remember the last time her brother had made a real friend.  â€œStill, he’s right about the horses.  There are too many people to make a horse really practical."

Anonymous

[OOC: That's quite alright, I can understand the conversing that can come of siblings, so it's cool.]

"He is indeed.  Seems his tongue is as fiery as his rumored temper.  Oh well, perchance I will earn another attempt to befriend him.  We may not be friends and only acquaintances, I hope that he knows I'm an ally rather than an enemy," Cyrus sighed hopelessly but tightened his grip on Casa'agen's reins.  He motioned his hand for Katrina to show him the way to the inn's stables.

As they walked he mentioned, "Lady Katrina, you're brother had said earlier about how the citizens of his area appreciate the magical protection received under the Kaleasters.  He hadn't given me the chance to explain myself thoroughly.  You see, my lady, long ago when my great-great-great grandfather purchased the old run-down estate that was to become Tower Medirein, the people of Adalen weren't used to having such a powerful sorcerer nearby and he wasn't all that much careful in using his sorcery.  Magic was such a rare occurence in Adalen that it was often, if not always, revered as a very dangerous thing to all who use it only caused trouble.

"He used it in careless, terrible ways that only brought prejudice to my family from the it's citizens.  But we meant nothing evil to come about, but I do suppose it was our own doing that the Medirein name became notorious in that time.  All our intention was to protect the lands but it seemed they didn't care much for the reason of our means.

"As time did pass, Adalen became accustomed to having sorcery with the boundaries of their lands, the look upon Medireins was only lightened slightly however.  But that is better than how it was in the beginning," Cyrus finished, adding a helpless smile behind it.  He dodged those who were making their way directly into his path.  Medirein moved his hands in comfort of Casa'agen's growing exhaustion as they continued down the street.  The heat of the day did nothing to help the poor gelding in addition.  The journey from Tower Medirein to Cerenis was not one of too much plight, the animal gladly accompanied his favorite rider so that made the trip all the more worth the trouble.

"And as for my decision of not using magic it was more of my father's doing.  The previous Lord Medirein was such a practical man, not having for the use of his bloodline and he sought to hope that his eldest heir would hold up his views as well.  So I was raised to not need the use of sorcery to live a meaningful life.  I often presumed that another explanation for his demeanor was that he had hopes that the people of Adalen would look at our family differently.  I'm not entirely sure it's worked either, but that's beside the point, "Cyrus paused realizing how much he had been talking while the duke's daughter was listening intently.  He thought it best that his conclusion come quick and short.  "Besides magic doesn't come all that much easily to me.  I suppose the reason for that may be due to my father's practical views, the magic has taken a sort of slumber.  It doesn't create any sort of reserve that is a danger to me, but that's a story to tell another day."

He smiled gently and continued down the road.

Anonymous

[OOC: Back for more interruptions... I wrote this during a Celtic music radio show, and seeing as Glauster's basically Scotland... I couldn't resist. Forgive the dialect writing. It was too pretty not to do. Just... pretend Tyroshaun always spoke like Jo and Katrina does.]

Katrina lingered a little surreptitiously, to give her brother time to make his way to the inn on his own.  She could tell he badly needed some time to himself, and she was inclined to give it to him, especially since it would mean he wouldn’t have the opportunity to make this more of a mess than it was.  She ran her fingers through Honey’s mane and turned back to Cyrus to try to explain without betraying her brother’s trust.  â€œMy brother… doesn’t exactly see people as enemies and allies.  He sees ‘em as enemies or… existing.â€? She shrugged expressively as she turned down the side street which led to the back entrance to the inn, where the stables were.  â€œHe doesn’t trust easily, I’m afraid.  But,â€? she added in an attempt to be encouraging, “’e suggested a stop at th’inn later, and that’s a good thing.  I think he’s just in a bad mood.  He’s gen’rally not this temperamental.â€?

She listened with some sympathy to his explanation of the Merdirein family history, nodding as she read between the lines.  â€œPeople’ve got a tendency to distrust new things, or ones they don’t understand.  Connlaoth bein’ by way of a perfect example, of course,â€? and she sighed, because with Glauster on the border with them, there was always a certain danger threatening.  â€œI suppose it’s why Glauster has the opposite attitude.  We go almost back to the foundin’, and we’ve been mages just as long.  With our magic bein’ the key to our power…â€? She smiled rather wryly.  â€œHonestly, I suspect that’s the reason no one’s managed to kill us off in all of these years.â€?  True, there was plenty of bloodshed in the Kaleaster historyâ€"but generally, they had a firm enough grip on their lands and people, through treating them well and simply being talented at self-preservation.

As they arrived at the stables of The Thistle, she saw one of the stable hands waiting and smiled. “Hullo, Jo.  You’re lookin’ well.â€?

“Aye, ma’am.  Young milor’ stopped by a few minutes ago sayin’ ye’r on yer way.  Be stayin’ th’night, I’m guessin’?â€?  He took the reins from her and patted the mare’s nose.  â€œHoney lass, ye be gettin’ rounder ev’ry time I see ye. She ha’n been exercisin’ y’enough.â€?  Honey, recognizing the man’s scent, nickered and butted him in the chest.

Katrina just rolled her eyes.  â€œHush that rot.  Now, Jo, how’s your wife?â€?

The man positively beamed as he led Honey to a free stall.  â€œWe be expectin’ our first, ma’am.  Like to be comin’ in a few months.â€?  As he saw her reach for her belt-purse, he waved her off. “Nay, lass, that brother o’ yourn took care o’ ye both.â€?

With another smile and roll of the eyes, Katrina murmured “He would.â€? Shaking her head slightly, she waved at Cyrus.  â€œHis horse is needin’ a place tooâ€"I’m not sure for how long, you’ll have to ask ‘im.â€?  Her voice fell more into her natural lilt as she talked with the other man.  The Thistle was, by and large, a Glaustrian run establishment, partly why they frequented it.  â€œTell Raynie I said ‘ello, aye?â€?

“’Course, ma’am.  Hey, Karna, git yer ass out ‘ere!â€?

Katrina just laughed and turned away, shaking her head.  She frowned a moment, trying to remember what she’d been about to say before she saw Jo, and then nodded. “Oh, tha’s right.  I cannae really see a practical view bein’ th’ thing tae be stoppin’ magic, seein’ as it’s really useful more’n ‘tisn’.  There’s somethin’ tae be said, o’course, for th’effect o’ thinkin’ on how magic appears…â€? Smiling wryly, she thought of her family.  â€œOn th’other hand, the Kaleaster magic seems tae be more volatile’n mostâ€"most o’ the lot o’ us are fire mages an’ th’like.  Seems tae be a special case with usâ€"ignorin’ it tends tae lead t’accidents.â€?  She had completely unconsciously fallen into far more of her dialect than usualâ€"while her brother tended to always have a thick accent (it helped discourage those who couldn’t follow him if he spoke quickly), she usually toned it downâ€"made easier by her non-Glaustrian mother.  But just a few minutes around solid Glaustrian brogue and she slipped back into her childhood speech patterns.

Anonymous

['Tis alright.  Inspiration is what ignites the soul.]

Cyrus informed the stablehand, "Aye, good sir, I'll be coming back before day's end.  Thank you."  He grabbed a gold coin from his coat pocket and rested it into Jo's hand before he could reject.  Walking with Katrina he said with just a an ever so slight hint of forlornness, "I'm sorry to have to cut this day short, Lady Katrina.  As always, it has been a pleasure speaking to you."  He took up in all his propriety, her hand and bestowed a gentleman's kiss upon it.  Letting go he added, "And I hope, in the near future, that you may take me up on my offer to visit Tower Medirein.  It would be a great gratification to see your face upon my lands."  And with that he departed but not without persisting, "You may even invite your brother.  I could amend my despicable behavior.  Madam, I bid you adieu. "  Cyrus bowed and made his way through to his business.  He had already gotten the spice required for this day.