Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Asleep in the Garden.

Started by Anonymous, June 19, 2007, 11:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was break time, which meant she was allowed to do two or so things, all having to do with her little whelp. Deep deep down in the dark depths of her heart, Tarlaka loved Seiteki at least a little bit. But love for a gurgling sack of tender flesh that occasionally threw up all over her could only go so far. Unlike most mothers, Tarlaka didn’t laugh and encourage her daughter after throwing up more substance than it looked like she could hold. Sitting in the garden, her daughter on her back on a little square blanket, Tarlaka was forced to wear a dress after getting her once shiny armour thrown up on. A small shudder of disgust and she looked, unamused, at her infant child who was gurgling and wiggling around in the clothing the nanny/nurse made for her.

Seiteki was a cute little child, Tarlaka would give her that, large light, almost electric, blue eyes stared up at her. Tarlaka could see the mischievous light in them, which foretold how evil Seiteki would be once she learned how to walk. Tarlaka sank to her knees and laid on her stomach, right beside Seiteki, her hand playing with her daughters little fists. Ah, to be a mother, Tarlaka wanted to fall on the sharp side of her sword to want to get away from it. Though, the pang in her heart at the thought of leaving her pink bundle of flesh and throw up made her feel guilty, and made her move her wing to protectively curl it over her infant daughter, covering her from view of anyone to walk past, that and the sun, which was surprisingly hot.

Her eyes drifted closed, seeing her tiny daughter sleeping beside her, tucked to her side like a precious little bundle of… Well… Barfy-goodness.  Not soon after, Tarlaka, in a dress with her hair unbound in a blue and black halo around her head, a single wing folded carefully over her daughter. It was a light nap, so, someone’s footsteps could probably wake Tarlaka up.

Anonymous

It has been months, nearly a year, since one of the knights of Adela have been hand chosen to participate in a minor crusade to the opposite end of the world. Denkou Tora, famous for his unique ability to change himself into a lightning wielding beast of unnatural forces, has come back home from a long departure. Almost unwilling departure, in his case. As the man walks through the garden as a shortcut to the throne room, he has but two things on his mind. The two very things that kept him going during his crusade.
Denkou suddenly stops halfway through the garden when he realizes his thoughts have turned into reality. Not fifty feet away, lies his very own commander with her child. With his child. Without a single word, he simply stands his ground and admires the view in the garden.

Anonymous

Wearing a black dress and having black wings, and laying on the hot grass on a hot summer day was making her move and her dress hike up to her knees. Seiteki, being in the shade of her mothers wing, was content and a little ball of baby-flesh, snoozing away her mothers free-time. The little brat. Tarlaka being the somewhat light sleeper she is, did hear the person, she of course assumed that it was a patrol man, so she didn’t bother to open her eyes. Then the footsteps stopped, her wing curved automatically to form a protective shield over her daughter, the feathers would stop anything flying at her. Wearily, she lifted her head, her eyes unfocused for just a moment before she wished they would blur again.

Quickly she laid down and closed her eyes again. That wasn’t who she thought she saw. No way in hell, he left, he wasn’t coming back, he wouldn’t be coming back. That was just a doppleganger and Tarlaka should pick up her kid and run really, really fast to her room and hide or something. Taking another quick peek over her shoulder, she silently cursed and sat up. Shit. He was really there. He was coming back for <I>her</I> daughter, because she promised her could have her after she gave birth. But that was ages ago! The bastard wasn’t even here when she had the damn kid, wasn’t here for her to bitch at him because of that one night they screwed. God she has shitty luck. Getting on her knees, she looked at her sleepy daughter, small pig tails in her hair, little black wings all curled up, useless still, on her back. Seiteki was <I>hers</I>, and not even the gods themselves could take <I>her</I> daughter from her.

Screw the fact that Denkou was her father. With her daughter safely tucked against her chest, she gave Denkou a cold look and behind to walk in the other direction. Like hell she’d go talk to him to hear him say that he wanted to take Seiteki and run, screw that! Better get away while she could, looking all elegant, even if she did have some blades of grass in her hair from her five minute nap. Shooting a figid look over her shoulder, she continued walking through the garden, looking like she was out for a simple walk with her sleepy baby. If Denkou wanted to say something to her,  he could come say it to her, she wouldn’t go to him to hear him blabber about how Seiteki was his too, because obviously she was all Tarlakas.

Anonymous

It seems Denkou's presence alone had disturbed Tarlaka's slumber. As much as he wanted to run up to her and hug her, he couldn't. Not after receiving that cold glare of hers. He knew good and well that he deserved the look. He couldn't help but marvel at the bundle of joy in Tarlaka's arms. Because of that, he almost missed his commander leaving.
Two leather covered hands were gently placed on Tarlaka's shoulders, not enough to stop her, but enough to hopefully get her attention. He was quick to close the gap between them.
"I missed you..." Denkou managed a whisper in the winged mother's ear. Hopefully, the first words spared between the two of them would break the silence.

Anonymous

The first words that came out of his mouth made her hand itchy to slap him. The nerve! Tarlaka resisted the urge to snarl at him, she removed a hand from Seiteki and brushed his hands off her. “Don’t touch me.â€? Her voice was low and held a hint of a feral growl. Her black wings shot out a little, attempting to throw Denkou off balance while he was behind her.  Quickly turning around, Tarlaka glared right at him, her wings tight to her back, her arms protectively curved around Seiteki, as if protecting her from him. One foot was behind her, ready to turn in case she had to run away from him and lock herself in her room. “What are you doing here?â€? She paused for a moment, licked her lips and hugged Seiteki a little closer, “ What do you want?â€?

Anonymous

Denkou was lost. Tarlaka was treating him like a complete stranger and he didn't feel he deserved that. Surely, she should have known he was gone on a crusade and any issues towards that were understandable. Right now, she seems to be acting a bit more extreme. What happened while Denkou was away?
"I-I'm home. Don't you remember me leaving on a mission almost a year ago? I wouldn't be here now had I not been thinking about you the whole time I was away." Denkou tries to explain himself. Hopefully, he'll get through to Tarlaka in some way.

Anonymous

What happened while Denkou was away? Oh, only her having to go through pregnancy, have a kid and deal with a new regent, all by her self. Of course Denkou was going to be welcomed with open arms! Just not by Tarlaka. Her steel blue eyes were cold and distant while he gave her his tiny explanation. Of course she’d known he was away, she’d figure he’d gotten killed. She knew she shouldn’t have wished him luck before he left. Seiteki began to squirm and make those annoying-yet-cute baby noises and she took a few steps back before holding her in the crook of her arm. Looking down at the now gurgling happy kid in her arm, she looked back at Denkou, seeing him as an enemy rather than as a friend. “Answer me, damnit! What do you want?� Her voice held a feral hiss, and the feathers on her wings puffed up in an attempt to make her look ‘bigger and more scary.’

Anonymous

Tarlaka really wasn't being reasonable. Denkou didn't deserve any of these actions she is making. She certainly changed.
"I just wanted to see my family before I reported in. It's been so long." Naturally, Denkou would have noticed the child and marveled over her, but the current circumstances are a bit too emotional for him to focus properly. Poor guy.

(Ack! Muse died! >.< lol)

Anonymous

She was feeling particularly nasty today. <I>He</I> came back without notice, and, Tarlaka paused. He hadn’t even noticed Seiteki, did he even know she was his? Tarlaka looked down at Seiteki quickly, then back at Denkou, good gods he was confusing her. Then she paused again… Wait, family? He had family here? Tarlaka pondered for a moment before she realized. Oh. He thought she was family. She was dumbfounded for a moment, would it be mean of her to tell him that one night of drunken sex and a talk didn’t make them family? That her getting pregnant with a kid she never wanted, made her kind of hate him? Sure she had feelings for the baby in her arms now, but that didn’t mean she felt anything for him, maybe a little gratitude for knocking her up, but that was it. The only family he had here was Seiteki, and she was still young, hardly old enough to recognize anyone other than Yuri, Nathen, the nurse who tended to her everyday and herself.

Tarlaka looked down for a moment, a quite ‘oh,’ on her lips. Her wings drooped to hang rather limply at her sides, the black feathers brushing the ground, her arms tightening for a moment. Looking off to the side, she adjusted her arms and help them out slightly. “This is Seiteki. She’s your family.� Maybe it’d sink in that being the mother of their child didn’t mean she was his family. For the first time in many years, Tarlaka felt unsure of what to do in a situation, and acting cold and distant would only be a bad thing, she didn’t want to give up her kid anymore than she had wanted to keep it in the first place. “Denkou… I… I know I said you could take her, after I had her… But I can’t. She’s mine now, and if you try to take her away from me, I won’t hesitate to kill you for her.�

Her voice was firm and steady. Tarlaka was so sure that the only reason why Denkou was back was to take Seiteki away from her, and she wouldn’t let that happen. The entire time Denkou would be around, she’s be on high alert, she’d be afraid to leave her kid alone at night. Deep down she knew Denkou wouldn’t steal a kid from her mother, but, her surface thoughts, the one clouded by love for her kid made her think anyone was a potential baby snatcher. Except for a few people, unfortunately, Denkou didn’t fall into one of the few people who could be alone with Seiteki and not watched. Tarlaka did feel a little guilty about feeling like that.

Anonymous

A lot of the tension finally dropped, but some of it remained. Though Denkou may be relieved, he is also still lost. When Tarlaka showed him dear Seiteki and mentioned she was his family, he knew exactly what that meant. Denkou's arms dropped to his sides like useless appendages as he lowers his head. With his commander's explanation, it all came clear to him as to why she acted like she did. Of course, it would make sense, given that he's been gone for nearly a year. He brought his head back up to look at Tarlaka and smiled.
"Which is exactly why I do not plan on leaving. Even if you did plan on giving up Seiteki, I still wouldn't leave. I still have you to worry about." This was Denkou's attempt at lightening the situation. Not likely to work with Tarlaka, but it's worth a shot.

Anonymous

Hmm, Sebastian really didn’t mind this place. He never really thought he would suit a castle, but, it was a lot cozier than he had first expected. It was actually growing on him. He had to say, though, he liked this little garden the best. It was so calm and Sebastian loved to be outdoors, although looking at him, you would never guess it. He much preferred the fresh breeze with that slight hint of the scent of grass, than anything indoors, besides the heat, that is. Inside was always warm when he needed it, which seemed to be increasingly often. Like now, for example, which was exactly why he had turned awhile back to head in the direction of the castle, and was now coming into view of the pair that stood as if they were in a stand-off with each other. All they needed were a couple of horses and some pistols and it would be perfect!

As Sebastian rounded the corner, pulling the black scarf that was wrapped around his neck a bit looser and pushing a stray piece of blonde hair from his face, he realized just who these two cowboys were. Well, he only recognized one of them, but the guy seemed to be awfully familiar with his black-winged friend.

Sebastian hadn’t been back to Adela in quite some time, but, he was glad that he had decided to return for a visit. Besides, he had some pretty damn good timing, considering his friend over there had told him she needed some of his company. He was good at that, the whole company thing. People liked to talk to Sebastian, and he liked talking to them, although most people wanted other things from him. Either way, he still enjoyed himself. Lost in thought, he wandered over to the two, the ends of his dark blue jacket flapping slightly as he removed his hands from his pockets and stood beside Tarlaka, snaking an arm behind her wings and letting his hand rest on her waist, before giving her a quick peck on the cheek. He grinned over at the other man. Well, the two of them look awfully glum; I think they need some cheering up!

“Hi,� he beamed at the man. For all the past couple of days Sebastian had been here, he couldn’t seem to put a name to his face. “I’m Sebastian, and I take it you know my Tarlaka, here.�

Sebastian motioned toward her, his perfectly practiced smile never leaving his face. He stepped out from beside her, reaching for the giggling little bundle of pink joy (and vomit, he would say, if he were Tarlaka) which Tarlaka was holding out in front of her, taking her into the crook of his arm and beaming down at her.

“What did she do? Did little Seiteki have an accident? Are you smelly? Is that why mommy is holding you out like that?� He said in the kind of voice one used when coddling a child, squishing his nose against hers. She squirmed and giggled, which only made Sebastian smile more.

“Hey, honey, you look like you need your break right about now,� he aimed the comment at Tarlaka. “Want me to take little Seiteki here to the nursery for you?�

Sebastian swayed back and forth gently, keeping the small child in his arms contented while he looked over at Tarlaka. He’d forgotten how much he missed having her around until he’d shown up back here only a couple days ago.

“Hey, sweetie, I’m cold,� he said, a mischievous gleam in his eyes. He didn’t expect their guest to understand that. He smiled down at Seiteki again, waiting with that smile of his for Tarlaka to give him the go-ahead to take her over to the nursery.

((Yaaaaaaaay!!! 8D Pseudonym makes her great return! *Cape swirl* ))

Anonymous

Tarlaka’s brain about imploded when Denkou mentioned something about worrying about her. That was actually a bit like slapping her. Tarlaka, a grown woman, a commander of a kingdoms army… had someone worried about her. A black eyebrow rose in slight confusion and she didn’t catch the blue and black figure heading towards them until it was to late and he was attached to her side like a tumour. Oh …Crud. Tarlaka looked over at her ‘friend’ Sebastian, and sighed lightly, rolling her eyes when he kissed her cheek and quickly stole Seiteki from her arms. She’d have slapped anyone else, but, depiste the fact he drove her up a wall and a half, she had a … soft spot… for her ‘dear friend’ Sebastian.

The noises he made at Seiteki make her smirk slighty in amusement. Looking at them from the corner of her eye, while she looked back at Denkou for a moment. A little late to be answering his question, but, meh, Tarlaka was distracted when he said it to Denkou, and Tarlaka would jump in first. “You know well enough I’m my <I>own</I> Tarlaka, thank you. And Yeah, I guess he knows me. That’s Denkou. He’s Seiteki’s… “ Tarlaka paused, not really wanting to spit it words out and admit it to herself, “He’s Seiteki’s… Father.� Tarlaka mumbled the last bit, looking off to the side. A pang of shame at the words and she swallowed the lump in her throat. No getting squishy and emotional. Save it for night time and being alone, and having a pillow… and a big blanket.

�Seiteki didn’t do anything, Sebastian. But, if you want to take her to the nursery for me, that would help a lot!� A grin and a pat on the back for Sebastian, the only willing contact he’d get unless he glomped onto her again. When he told her he was cold, Tarlaka snorted soflty in laughter and put her hands on her hips and glared at him playfully, “I don’t care, get another jacket, OR, you can warm yourself up.� Her wings fluffed up a bit while she was talking then snapped closed when she was finished speaking. Tarlakas blue and black hair in slight waves down her back, messy from not having been brushed within the past hour or so, no matter, she wasn’t going anywhere important.

Tarlaka turned towards Denkou, her hands at her side, feeling more like her ‘usual self’ now that her baby was in safe arms, well… Kind of safe. Who knows what bad habits she’d pick up from someone like Sebastian. He probably giggled along with her after she threw up. Taking a deep sigh and pressing her fingers to her forehead she looked over at Denkou. “I know you think you like me, but, You don’t! Really. We just had… <I>that</I>… It has nothing to do with liking each other. Go … Get a … “ Tarlaka looked towards Sebastian for a moment and quickly looked away, a less than amused look on her face, “Yeah.â€?

A sigh and Tarlaka took a few steps back. “If you plan on reporting… Akkiel is gone too, and we have a regent now, his name is Yuri, he’s blonde, and has a little boy, Nathen, you’ll probably find him in the study beside the throne room if you’re looking.�

Anonymous

All of Denkou's thoughts, all of his hopes, and all of his goals died in a split second. This Sebastian character seems to be a bit more closer to Tarlaka than Denkou could hope to be. All of Denkou's questions for Tarlaka's reasons and actions were answered with the presence of a new face. All that is left is his own daughter, whom is being held hostage by her mother. When Tarlaka turned to Denkou with her last words, he looked at her with sad eyes, nothing else in his expression. He nodded his head when she mentioned the reagent and sauntered off without a word. It seems Sir Tora had his soul ripped out through his heart.

Anonymous

Sebastian stood to the side, cuddling Seiteki in his arm, and watching as Tarlaka was, well, ambushed by himself and the other guy. Not that he had anything against the man, hell, he didn’t even know him, but damn was the tension in the air thick over here. And, whatever it was, let’s just say he wouldn’t be taking this guy’s side. There was obviously something between the two, but, Sebastian didn’t want to let that get in the way of the nice little cloud of happiness he had perched himself on. He was quite comfortable there, and this mopey fellow was ruining his good vibes with all his angst. It was practically oozing out from his shoes and his nostrils.

And, then Tarlaka introduced him.

Say what now?

He looked at Seiteki. Happies! He looked at Denkou. Sulk-angst! The two just weren’t going together for him. He looked from one to other a few more times, just to make sure. Yep. He didn’t see it. This little thing was so happy and giggly and baby-like, and it reminded him so much of Tarlaka, especially in its facial features and its budding little gray wings, which he knew would grow into the same regal and alluring appendages her mother was now fluffing and snapping. This thing was so cute. He smiled at it, letting little Seiteki grab hold of his finger. It was a moment before he remembered that Tarlaka had, indeed, just told him his name: Denkou. Yah… Huh. Where were his manners!?

“Oh! Uh… Nice to meet you! Seiteki’s… Dad?� Why did that sound so wrong?

But, it was too late, he was already sulking away, even if his sauntering step didn’t match the crushed expression on his face. Oh well, more Tarlaka for him!

He turned back to her, a wide grin beaming on his face. He was quite practiced at those now, and balancing the little wiggler in his arm. She was happy, she didn’t really notice what was going on around her. Sebastian moved in close beside Tarlaka, his lips nearly touching her hair. It smelled like grass. His smile turned sly, lips turning up at the corners, and he spoke in a whisper.

“But, darling, why would I want to warm myself up, when I know you’re <I>so</I> good at it?�

All those years of practice were finally being put to use. He laughed lightly, running a quick hand through a blue strand of her hair before he managed to maneuver himself, he hoped, out of slapping range. Hey, he had the kid! Maybe that would keep him safe? As he walked casually behind her, holding Seiteki in his arms, his smile gained a warmer nature.

“Well, I’m off to drop this little button off at the nursery with the nice friendly nurses. If you don’t love me, you’ll meet me upstairs in a few!� Sebastian turned and continued toward the castle after he winked happily at Tarlaka. He hadn’t gotten very far, however, when he stopped, and turned with a quizzical expression on his face. “Waaaait a second,� he called back. “Who’s Akkiel?�

Tally

A voice interrupted before Tarlaka could speak.

"He is your sovereign, and the commander should know better than to refer to him by his given name."

He stood beneath an arch that opened onto a breezeway, one hand resting upon the cool stone, the other on his hip.  His clothes were well-made and pristine, every button fastened and every wrinkle ironed out.  His face was finely sculpted and beautiful.  A smile might have transformed it into the very picture of innocenceâ€"if he were the type to smileâ€"but his schooled expression only left him looking cold and distant.  For awhile now he'd been watching and listening.  And learning.  If he hadn't heard the others refer to the woman in the dress by name, he never would have guessed that was the commander.  She certainly didn't look a soldier, especially lugging that brat around.  Strange.  The king had seemed a man who understood warfare inside and out yet he had given this one command of his armies?  If Angel hadn't known better he would have sworn it was some kind of joke they were all playing on him.

<I>We'll see just how long she lasts.</I>

Approaching them finally, he stopped a good distance away and crossed his arms.  No reason to give them the idea he wanted to be friendly.  Already he was unimpressed with what he'd seen.  He was here to see improvement made in this place, not to make people like him.  "I suppose I should introduce myself.  My name is Angel.  I have been offered a place at court."  <I>And a good thing, too.  This place seems to be lacking in both dignity </I>and<I> discipline.</I>

"And the king is not gone.  He is back in the country and will arrive at the castle at his leisure."  He looked the woman up and down, and while his face betrayed little enough emotion, he didn't bother to spare words.  "So it is my suggestion that you get yourself in proper uniform before he arrives.  You're an embarrassment as it is without wearing a dress and dragging your child around with you.  Adela's commander should not be seen that way."

His eyes followed the other manâ€"Denkouâ€"as he walked away to report to the regent.  That would be Angel's next stop, but the king had specifically ordered him to inform Tarlaka that his highness had returned and was on his way.  And so he had.  Orders were meant to be followed, with efficiency and to the best of his ability.

Anonymous

Tarlaka, feeling a little guilty, annoyed and just chipper all at the same time. Shaking her head and rolling her eyes slightly at Sebastians comment about how good she was at keeping him warm, he trailed off to say he’d take Seiteki to the nursery and then ‘hang out’ in her room. Tarlaka just about laughed when Sebastian turned around and asked about Akkiel. Did he seriously not know of Akkiel? The red haired man-whore-king of Adela? Ah, Tarlaka had a silly grin on her face, her hands on her hips and her wings opened slightly, relaxed, on her back, just about to tell Sebastian exactly who Akkiel was. When an unfamiliar voice rose up behind her, instantly she scolded herself for being so careless, for not having her sword, or her being in her armor. The black feathers fluffed up and she slowly turned around, her hands feeling empty while she stared at this stranger.

How did he know she was the Commander? Oh. Her name. His name was different, and it didn’t suit him. A slight frown formed on her face and she looked over her shoulder at Sebastian for a moment. “Take Seiteki to the nursery, and… Go have a nap or something. And <I>no</I> I won’t be joining you.� Her voice was dry and unamused while she looked at this… Male. She’d have enough of <I>males</I> today. This one just pissed her off, more do than Denkou, which was amazing. “Well, Welcome to Adela Castle, Angel. I’m Tarlaka, but you already knew that, didn’t you? I’d say I’m the commander of the army, but you know that, too.� Taking a few elegant steps closer, she opened her wings a little, making her shadow bigger and her presence larger, making her known, and hopefully at least a little intimidating.

She placed a hand on her hip and looked at this Angel fellow bordly. Hmm… So, the man-whore of a king was back, probably at some brothel getting laid. Rolling her eyes slightly at the ‘his leisure’ comment, she smiled brightly at Angel, even when he suggested she get on her uniform. “Tsk tsk, Mr. Angel… “ the Mr before his name held a very obvious mocking tone to it “You should know better than tell a lady what to do. Specially one who knows how to weild a sword.â€?  Tarlaka moved so she was behind him, one arm folded across her chest, the other lightly touching her lips. “I don’t know about the embarrassment part. If you do recall where children come from, I’d say it was an accomplishment. I don’t know about you, Mr.Angel, but I don’t think you’re man enough to give birth. Though, I will take you up on that uniform suggestion, I was <I>just</I> about to go do that!â€? Tarlaka, on her way past Angel to go into the castle opened the wing closest to him, wide, so, on her way past… It smacked him.

On the trail towards the castle, she said, loud enough to hear “<I>King</I> Akkiel, arrive at his leisure. Ha. <I>My ass</I>â€?, she flashed a feral smile over her shoulder, which obviously told his Angel fellow that she would go out and find him her self. Screw his… Screws! He was needed here, at the Castle. Quickly, Tarlaka rushed to her room to put on her only set of clean armor, a set that hasn’t been used yet. It was much more… Pointy than the previous Adelan Armor, and darker, a much more dark look to it. Oh well, she’d put this away once her other armor was cleaned of baby spit up. Once she was fully suited up, with the help of a maid because the wing slots where hell alone, she put her swords on her belt and rushed to the stables to get a horse and leave the castle in search of her favourite man-whore. Besides Sebastian, at least Sebastian was a nice man-whore. Tarlaka didn’t notice Sebastian on her way to the room, so, he was either there and unseen, or still playing with Seiteki,  probably that one.

Tarlaka looked up at the horse that was all ready and saddled for her, and wondered if she could even sit on them anymore. Oh well, finding and chewing out Akkiel would be worth any … pain… from horse riding. She could just imagine the look of horror on his face after seeing her bust into whichever abode he was in.

The bastard.

Tally

Woman or no, he had to admit she could manage to look fairly intimidating when she had a mind to.  Or she might have to most people.  The most reaction she got out of <I>him</I> was a raised eyebrow and a sardonic expression.  He belonged here de jure if not de facto, and he wasn't about to let anyoneâ€"least of all a woman with outlandish fantasies of being a warriorâ€"intimidate him.  Let them think they could faze him in the beginning and they would go on thinking that evermore.  Better they all know he wasn't afraid of confrontation.

He gave her wings a glance as she opened them.  Hm.  Figures she would be showy like that.   Was it all just braggadocio or could she actually back up all this pomp she was talking?  He'd like to find that out someday.

<I>Mr?</I>

He started to open his mouth to put a stop to <I>that</I>, but thought better of it.  Let her be petty if it satisfied her in some small-minded way.  What she called him was hardly consequential.  The same was probably true of her.  He wouldn't be surprised to find someone else doing all the real work and her just a romantic figurehead.  So he let her prattle on and on and said not a word himself.

At least not until he got buffeted and nearly knocked right over by her ungainly wing.  Bloody woman.

"You prove my point," he snapped, glaring at her.  "You're emotional and petty."

And <I>entirely</I> inappropriate when referring to the king.  <I>Never mind.  I'm through with this.</I>  He had to find the regent anywayâ€"Yuri, was it?â€"and inform him that the king was returning and that preparations should be made for the occasion.  The right people needed to be alerted, all the pressing affairs of the kingdom gathered for presentation, the king's rooms had to be made ready.  There was a lot to do.

And he set out to do just that, putting the woman out of his mind for now.  They'd have it out again, he was sure, but for now they both had more pressing matters to see to.