Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When Silence is the Only Sound

Started by Goldie, February 17, 2005, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Tall buildings...houses, shops, nosy people who thrust things in your face screaming for you to buy, groups hiding in the shadows eyeing the everyday people who walked past, thieves waiting in the open but hidden....

It was all new to her.

The desert was all she knew and part of her wanted to turn around and race back to the desolate landscape she had left behind for answers.  Or had been thrown out of.  Her people had wanted her dead simply because of the curse the Gods had placed upon her tongue and now because of their unchangeable minds she wandered mute and completely afraid of the strange world she had stumbled upon.

She felt naked in her attire of animal skins and beautifully dyed cotton which was faded from years of abuse from the sun and rain.  The only piece of clothing that had kept its shade was the sash of vibrant burgandy that was drapped across her left shoulder and tied with a piece of cord at her right hip.  It was spelled to ignore outside forces that wished to destroy the beautiful fabric.  The Shaman before her had worn one just like it and when she had been saved by the Moon Maiden she had been presented with one of her own and a prophecy that she would accomplish great things, even if her people did not wish to be a part of her journey.

Leather sandles trod as silent as their mistress against the cobblestone path that meandered through the village.  Like her skirt and shirt these twoo had seen many years of wear but it was clear that they were made for long use and would last years to come, just as comfortable as the last.

With a sigh of apprehension, L'apri wiped her eyes with her hand, trying to calm her nerves on being in such a different environment than she was use to.  People were so noisy...so nosy...and no one seemed to take well to her unusual silence.

"Ya want sumtin' lady?" A man growled from behind a stall  that was selling "Exotic Fruits".  After glancing at the sign the tribal woman looked around at the fruits and immediately was drawn to a small crescent shaped fruit that she had eaten in abundance when she was little.  Looking back up at the man she pointed at the Imsha fruit.  The man raised an eyebrow.

"Ya want that 'un?"  She nodded and immediately he laughed in her face, thinking that she was some sort of joke.  With watering eyes he waved his hands in her face, "Get goin' you!  I dun' need no show." Shocked, she turned and walked away.  What was she going to do if she couldn't make anyone take her seriously?

Looking around once more L'apri realized just how out of place she was in this village.  People were not what she had wanted because they all seemed to be the same; fearful or ignorant.  And it wasn't as if she could go up and tell them why she refused to speak, why she looked so different from the rest of them and acted slightly different, being drawn to the foreign items rather than what was suppose to be the tourist items or the normal, everyday items.  She wasn't accepted anywhere unless she was alone, on her own, with only herself for company.

Without looking back she left the noisy village square and entered into the woods that surrounded it.  At least here she could be alone.  At least here she wouldn't be judged by people who looked only skin deep and saw someone they wished to skirt around without so much as a by your leave or how to do.

Sitting under a massive oak L'apri closed her eyes and stilled her breath until it matched the rhythm of the wind and let herself simply be.

I am L'apri, granddaughter of the Shaman from my tribe, I do not speak but I can see, breathe, and feel just as well as those who do....

Rhindeer

Zharith, I see another human! A village must be near. C'mon, pick up your pace, boy. You can't tell me you're still woozy! She'll get up and leave by the time you get here.

Zharith glared up through the trees where he assumed Raki to beâ€"well, somewhere up there and ahead of him, at leastâ€"and trudged on, purposely ignoring her comments. Yes. He was still woozy. But she knew he didn't do large bodies of water! Of course, when he'd moaned that to Raki between trips to the railing of the ship's deck, the raven had found it hilarious. She found the whole thing amusing. And, well, when he thought about it, in retrospect, it was. Kind of. After all, he was an islander. He was born and raised on a bloody island chain! But he'd only been on smaller boats before, and he had chosen to live inland, in the city of Thanatos. Though he lived on an island, he was a "land-lubber" through and through, and he rather liked it that way!

The trip over to the mainland on that ship had been pure and utter hell, and he was still reeling from the effects of it. Not to mention that he just couldn't help but feel uncomfortable suspended above so much water. Water for miles...and miles...an endless space of nothing...

Raki said it was because he'd drowned before, or had almost drowned. Even she couldn't keep up with his past incarnations. And though Zharith had long since stopped fearing death and viewed it more as an annoyance than anything, he really didn't fancy the idea of drowning. It wasn't the concept of death that was disturbing, but the method, and he apparently had a history of going in unorthodox ways.

He jumped suddenly as Raki plummeted from the trees to land on his shoulder, curved nails curling into the fabric of his traveling cloak. She's right straight ahead, sitting beneath a tree. You can ask her for directions. I would look ahead instead so we wouldn't have to stop, but I heard a hawk calling off somewhere. Her feathers ruffled indignantly. Not that I couldn't take it. But I just preened myself. That's all.

"Of course..."

And no talking to me. You don't know how these people are. They'd likely think you mad if they caught you talking to a raven, you know. They wouldn't be far off, but...ah ah! No comments, child! I'm you're 'pet', now, only this once. And don't you dare abuse that, or I will crack your skull with my beak.

Zharith winced slightly. She would, too. She'd done it before.

Go on, now.

Unlike the other villagers the woman had endured, Zharith was not at all alarmed by the strange garb of the woman he came across, but then, considering where he came from and his own background, there weren't a lot of things that could really be considered strange to the Summoner. And besides, he wasn't so ordinary, himself, with long natural feather-laced black hair, fair skin, and amber eyes that oddly matched the eyes of the raven on his shoulder. He paused a few feet away from her, looking her over uncertainly. Was she...asleep?

He cleared his throat. Speaking with others was never really something he did much of, no matter how small and frivilous the chat. "Pardon...ah...do you know the way to the nearest village?" he asked a bit awkwardly, shifting the bag of belongings on his shoulder out of habit. He hadn't brought much with him, only some money he hoped would be accepted or at least exchanged for the currency here and a few books and items of clothing. Just what he'd need to get a start here.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

L'apri could feel the ground shudder slightly as the man walked toward her, alerting the woman that someone was approaching.  She didn't both to move, thinking that perhaps he would just continue past, ignoring her completely.  But it wasn't as if she blended in with the greenary that surrounded her, quite the opposite.  Her black hair was braided in tiny sections and fell well past her shoulders, tied into pig tails with two leather thongs.  Her attire was much too colorful to be camoflauge, at least the maroon sash that was tied across her chest.

What caught her by surprise was the sound of his voice, causing her to leave her meditative state so she could open her dark brown eyes to see who was there.  It was strange that someone would go out of their way to speak with her....back at her tribe she had been shunned because of the curse from the great Father Sun.  The only attention she had received was from The Moon Maiden and even that was slight.  L'apri had not heard from the Goddess for months now and was beginning to think she had abandonded her.  

But that wasn't true, not in the least.  The Maiden had her ways and when the time was right she would appear again and give L'apri something else to do...somewhere else to go.  Sometime she woudl be called again, out of the darkness.

She suddenly realized that the man had asked a question and all she had done was stare at him from her kneeling position by the great oak.

Standing quickly she did a quick turn around, trying to remember which way she had come from, but of course was completely lost.  It was ironic really, that she could find her way expertly through the desert, a place that had nothing but sand for miles, and she couldn't find her way through a forest which had thousands of marks she should have remembered, but hadn't.

Thinking to herself she finally made up her mind and pointed to her right.  It was somewhere in the direction....but then, maybe she hadn't even walked straight out of the village and did some funky turns that would make him get lost.  She wanted to tell him that she wasn't sure, but she couldn't open her mouth without the curse affecting someone...somewhere.  Perhaps eventually she'd be able to control exactly who died when she spoke...maybe it didn't just effect humans but plants and animals too....

Better not take that chance.