Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Please Read ( - About pre-Earth/Current Earth)

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2008, 06:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Unfortunately, it's become a bit noticeable that quite a few members seem to have skipped reading some of SotE's setting information.

Earth was destroyed. The only way anything even remnant of earth to exist, would be some weird time portal, which would need to be explained in any character profile.

Mainly, from what I've seen, one country has been getting the limelight.

There is no Japan.

There is no Japanese language.

There is no traditional japanese robes, food, drinks.

If a character were to ask for anything from japan(or anywhere), it wouldn't exist. Anything special and specific to a culture from (now) earth, doesn't exist.

Weapons, names, and creatures are perfectly fine. But historical things, which no one can possibly know after the world exploded, are out of the question.

SotE is very open to... Well.. Everything. But please try your best to stay within the setting and keep historical things, which don't exist, out. Your character can be from present day Japan and speak japanese and love sake (which I've been told tastes like rubbing alchohol) and sushi and all that fun stuff... But no one would understand them, no one would know what sake is, and people would probably think it odd they wanted raw fish wrapped up in seaweed and rice.

A bit of a rant, I know, but just keep to the setting, please.  [/evil admin mode]

Also, if you have any explanations or suggestions, don't be afraid to rant at me. I'm all ears and am more than willing to hear you out if you feel wronged.

Rhindeer

I'll add in that this goes for any country, really. x3

I'll also add that it's totally awesome to play races that come from different mythologies, like Japanese mythology (such as kitsune, kirin, and stuff like that!). Because let's face it, all the races and species in any fantasy game originate from some culture's mythology. And those guys are fun. <3

I think all anyone is actually bothered by is characters wandering around in hakama and the like, being samurai. xD Because samurai don't exist here. I think there may be countries in SotE (which just haven't been explored/created yet) that would be the equivalent of Asian coutries, and I think there are probably remnants and artifacts of, say, Japanese culture laying around.

There was a big cataclysm on Earth, and it destroyed the Earth enough to change the very structure of Earth's landmasses (not to mention enough time passed to allow this to happen. x3 Though the details of all this and specifics are currently being worked out) so no cultures actually survived this intact. So this allows the possibility of, say, artifacts popping up here and there! Maybe even some media if it survived, like literature and stuff. It also allows the possibility for these old cultures to still have some influence in SotE's world (I mean, a character could wear something like a hakama or kimono or have a philosophy that's like bushido).

But this again goes for all cultures. For instance, in SotE's world there is no Christianity, no Buddhism, no Wicca, no Hinduism, etc. All the religions we have today don't exist. But that doesn't mean religions similar to these won't pop up, though! It's okay to have similarities and it's okay to create them!

It's also perfectly okay to have your character be, say, a Christian or wear a kimono or a pair of jeans if they traveled from our day to SotE's day. :3 Time travel is totally cool.

Yeah. Just clarification!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa