Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

The Night Shift

Started by Anonymous, July 22, 2008, 03:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

After waiting for another moment to pass it was easy enough to see that he would not be getting up any time soon and for that Maia was quite pleased with herself. She released her hold on his hand and stood up, quickly scanning the alley for anyone that might have been watching them before returning her knife to her belt. Looking down at the slumped body she sighed, knowing she'd have to keep him somewhere if he was going to be able to sate her curiosity. Leaning over him she hooked her arms around his chest and hoisted him up so only his heels might touch to the ground. Making a last check that nobody was watching her or lurking the streets nearby she was off at a slow pace to drag him back to her home her gaze occasionally flickered to the night sky above.

This had been the first time in a long while she'd actually used the front entrance to the building that she inhabited but she had to to get him inside and up to her apartments. Huffing and readjusting herself for a better hold on him she took the stairs to the top level and carelessly dropped him to the floor once inside the spare room she kept especially for interrogations of the less hostile sort. Pushing the wooden table to the far corner she situated one of the two chairs in the center of the room and promptly moved him from the floor to being slumped awkwardly in the chair. Leaving him to go to her main quarters she retrieved a few strands of rope a two small pillows. Upon returning Maia made quick work of tying his hands and then feet together, placing one of the pillows between the hard wood of the chair and his back as a silent apology before knotting the last of the ropes around his abdomen and the chair back. With her work finished she widened the gap between her chair and his by a few extra feet for good measure before setting the second pillow down and sitting back against it. Now she could wait him out in comfort as she stared, now bored, across at him.

ooc: please excuse the utter crap...but yay page 3 xD

Lion

It would seem that Kaito was destined to become a rag doll for the remainder of the evening as Maia flopped his body around and dragged him across town to a building that appeared to be her place of residence.  It was about two or three in the morning by this time, a time when a living being that was out of bed was a rarity and those sneaking about were obviously up to no good.  The same could possibly be said about the figure that dragged the body of an unconscious fighter but only if they did not understand the situation.

From an objective third perspective, it would seem that Maia was dragging home a drunk friend and just as drunk person might find the energy and brains to sit so did Kaito slump in the chair that she had set for him.  Positioning him awkwardly with legs askew, Kaito's mind still remained unthinking, save for the few perceptions that made their way through the thick clouds that obscured his senses.  Little by little, his head still hanging upon his chin, he felt someone move about a room and place thins around him and, eventually, on him.  Then things were silent and then he began to stir after a while.  Slowly his head lolled from his lifeless position and rolled upward onto his shoulder.  He grunted once as the realization of a pounding headache throbbed within his skull, knocking at the walls within as if a bell was ringing very loudly and very incessantly somewhere nearby.

He tried to pull up his hands to rub his head, to do anything to bring ease to his pain, but was surprised to find that his arms had shrunk.  After attempting movement several times without avail, Kaito's eyes shot open to find ropes bound about his body and appendages.  In a sense of panic, he tugged at the ropes and even went as far as to jump in his chair, all in vain.  He looked up and around him, his eyes falling on Maia sitting across from him.  Being more confused and surprised than frightened, he managed to ask her, "W-where the hell am I?  What did you have to tie me up for?"

[Noo! It's not crap, it was perfect, considering I didn't give you much to work with anyways.  And *does creepy cheerleader dance* yay for page three!]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Arms slightly sore from the awkward position they'd been forced into to carry weight she rubbed at the muscles as she continued to stare at him, perking up when he began to stir in his chair. She felt bad that he was disoriented but at the same time it couldn't be found in her to fully block laughs from escaping her at the observance of his movements, giggles leaking here and there as he tried to move and even went so far as to try and jump in his chair. However, when he spoke she brought herself back to composure and smiled at him across the space. His questions temporarily brought out the shyness in her, allowing a guilty blush to creep along her cheeks when he'd asked why he was tied up. "You're in my home and I tied you up so you wouldn't run away from me when you woke up. I'd like to talk to you if you're willing to cooperate with me," she explained with a soft tone in an attempt to come across as innocently as she could in such a situation. How scared she'd be if she'd been the one to wake up in a strange place and then find herself tied up, but he had threatened her and even though irrational she considered that enough to do what she'd done to him. "It's not like I hurt you or anything," she muttered in response to her own thoughts.

ooc: x] yay I have one fan at least but I must apologize for the shortness. I couldn't really write anything long because I'm on a time crunch this morning but if I can write longer posts later I most certainly will. :]

Lion

[I'm a fan of any good respectable writer.  As I said to Kitsy once, good writing knows how to affect me well and to put it plainly, I like the way you write. ^_^]

Kaito was still a little dizzy from the force of which Maia knocked him into the wall.  He knew better than to panic though, especially when thinking was a process all too fuzzy.  Clinching his eyelids tightly helped his head and he breathed in deeply as his vision was restored to its former status.  Eying Maia curiously.... Was that a blush, he just saw?  It must have been for Kaito was neither blind nor stupid and would easily be able to see something like a blush at so little a distance.  But why in the heck was she blushing?  Did she find it funny that he was tied up?  That was a possibility that he immediately acknowledged and figured that he would probably would be laughing too if he was in her position instead of his own.

The Carpathian eyed her with little caution and loads of sarcasm dripping from his dark eyes.  Like a fool, he muttered, "You're brilliant with men, you know that?  If you wanted to go out with me, you could have just asked."  Kaito rolled his eyes and smiled smartly at her.  "No, I guess you didn't hurt me...yet.  Now, what was it you wanted to ask me?"  Kaito knew torture to violent and momentarily brief, but did not expect an interrogation.  Had she not said that she was sent only to torture him?  Or did she mean to question him to death?  Considering the fact that she had spoken quite gently with him, he quickly botched that idea and instead looked to her expectantly, eyebrows quirked in attempt to anticipate what she might be thinking to say.

[Large amounts of homework prevent me writing a longer post. Sorry!]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Maia eyed him warily, frowning at the intense sarcasm she saw in his eyes as he opened his mouth to speak. The words emitted, though, immediately angered her until she realized he was poking fun at her again which prompted a glare to be aimed in his direction. "Do you honestly think I brought you all this way because I like you? I would not act in such a desperate way if I truly wanted to date you...which I don't." She shook her head and willed her expression to lighten up at his inquiry about her own questions. "Are you...um do you-" She knew that she wouldn't get anywhere with trying to make the question more than what it was. "Are you really a Carpathian?" There she'd said it and she couldn't take it back.

Watching his face carefully, waiting eagerly for his reply, she clasped her hands together in a nervous fashion while her body became tense in the chair. Part of her wanted it to be true but then the other half did not. What a fascinating notion that she was sitting in the same room with a fellow Carpathian when she had not been in contact with another of her species in so very long. But what would she do if he was of her kind? She'd already convinced herself that he could not be her lifemate but she still had questions for him and was determined that she'd get the answers she wanted before letting him go. But what if he wasn't and had only led her on to make fun of her? She'd probably kill him out of spite if he turned out to be human but it seemed unlikely to her as she stared across at the face in front of her, a particular air about him that made him so very different to her.

ooc: Well that's really nice of you to say I really appreciate it. :] And no worries about the busyness, I understand.

Lion

He could not.  How was he to know that she didn't think he was what he was?  Indeed the fangs were a dead giveaway but perhaps she was the type to need to hear things to truly take them as fact.  Kaito smiled lightly at her, a grin of genuine amusement for reasons that were explicable only to him.  He had a strange sense of humor, he had been told so on several occasions and it was this humor that allowed him to endure hard times, especially when he lost fights.  Looking at her through slanted eyes, his head down and gaze perched upward at her, a low snicker emitted from his throat but not in an angry, hostile, or mocking fashion.

Kaito took his sweet time in answering, thinking and trying to figure out what answer she might be expecting.  Why now, when he uttered the word Carpathian, had her demeanor changed to become more—friendly?  He observed her becoming tense in her seat across from him, so short a distance yet so far away.  Then, quite abruptly, he understood this to be a serious situation, one that desired honesty on both their parts.  Could he lie to her about his blood?  If so, for what reason would he do so?  There would be no sense of logic behind it.  He had no reason to mock her or attack her in any way for she had not wounded him.  Save for his headache, but that was his problem because he induced her to take action in self-defense.  He would give her the answers she sought, only because the matters of blood were pensive matters that were to be dealt in caution and care.

Taking a chance to stretch out his fastened legs with what space he could, he looked up at her directly in apathy.  "I suppose you want a straight answer out of me," he began and rewarded her with a congenial grin of good humor.  "Yeah, I'm a Carpathian."  Kaito nodded, tossing a strand of stray hair from his face, "Fighting for survival like everyone else.  Why do you ask?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The long wait between her asking the question and his getting around to answering it unnerved Maia. Wringing her hands while he took his time to think she wondered if he was planning on making up an elaborate story to evade the truth and kept her eyes in a steady focus on his form. Observing his attempt at stretching she winced, immediately feeling bad that she'd had to tie him up and looking down at the floor, but gave a curt nod when he finally began speaking, her mouth drawn in a line as she awaited his answer. When he finally did give it, though, she couldn't help but smile at what he said. Now she did not feel completely alone and even though she thought him as ignorant, selfish, and rude, somehow knowing that he was a Carpathian and hearing him own to it made those views less severe in her mind.

Slowly transitioning back to a more relaxed state she caught her lower lip with her teeth and gave herself a moment to think before responding to his own question. "I just...didn't believe you at first and I don't think that I wanted to really. See, I haven't been in contact with another Carpathian in, well, probably around one hundred fifty years. It's really a long story, but I didn't think I'd find another ever again." Maia laughed at herself then and averted her gaze back to the floor beneath her. "How nice of me, I've tied up the only other of my kind that I know of, but please tell me, are you alone or do you know any others of our kind?" she asked with a shy, yet curious smile playing across her face as she lifted her head and let her eyes rest upon his.

ooc: heh I can never write lengthy conversation posts but I hope I gave you enough to work with at least Dx

Lion

Kaito safely assumed that because Maia was of his own kind, he had nothing to fear from her in knowing that he too shared the blood of the Carpathian.  But the look of her, she seemed lonely even if she attempted to play it off as though she wasn't.  And he found it strange that was—excited to learn of another of her kind.  He could not understand this, particularly because he simply accepted the fact that he might never meet another Carpathian in his lifetime and didn't seem to look forward to the fact that he found another one.

All he could do is smile at her in his usual wry grin, laughing softly to her reference to the ropes.  Still, he tried once again to get comfortable with the abrasive bindings so snug on him.   When he readjusted his seating to meet some sort of standard, he leaned back as far as his body would allow in slouching and replied, "That long, huh?  Yeah, I know one other one.  I've got an older sister somewhere west, probably in La'marri.  It's been a while since I've spoken to her but she's the only other one that I know of.  Other than you of course."  He eyed her with curiosity, his brows furrowing in pondering as she almost seemed—shy?  What?!

From what he knew of her, which was so little in itself, he did not think of her as one to become shy!  How could she, a hardened assassin, who was so eager to give him a beating only a few hours before hand suddenly turn into a blushing young girl at the instant he told her that he was a Carpathian.  He molded back his face to a proper, cynical grin but the curiosity remained.  "I don't believe that's the only reason you wanted to know, Maia."  Then suddenly it dawned on him, as bright as a divine revelation and as stark as the unholiest omen.  "Are you searching for your lifemate?" he asked quickly, just throwing the question out there without much tact.  Yet his eyes were stern and his grin was gone; surefire signs that he wanted his question answered.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The mind is such a confusing thing. Maia hated how her thoughts suddenly refused to settle into one attitude no matter how much she willed them to. Going from excited to nervous in an instant and then to fear as she thought through possible scenarios the information he might give her would play out. The patterns moved rapidly, seeming they would never stop churning as she contemplated what she was going to do with him. Would she even live to see another week of her life if she let him go and returned with a failed mission? But what could she do to show that she'd accomplished it? She'd feel utterly terrible doing harm to him now that she knew what he was,  but perhaps it was part of his plan to make her feel bad for him so that she wouldn't finish the job she was sent for. What had he even said to suggest such a thing, though? All of this made her feel dizzy and disoriented but she tried to pull herself together and pay attention when she sensed him moving in front of her and then heard him begin to speak a reply.

Slightly embarrassed at the reality of her isolation, as he'd gone over again, she nodded idly and let her eyes wander and look about the room as he spoke to her. A sister? No other friends or relatives, just a sister? What he told her was disappointing at first until she remembered the blessing to the race that was the pool of female Carpathians and immediately felt ashamed for ever thinking such selfish thoughts. "A sister...that must be nice."

What he said next, though, made Maia tense as her heart ached and her conscience told her to hide herself somewhere far away and hope to never be found for he had figured out the motives behind the seemingly innocent question she'd asked of him. Very slowly she brought her wandering gaze back to him and observed his expression carefully. It had changed and she didn't particularly like it that he seemed more serious now. Somehow, to her, the sarcastic and all smiles attitude that he normally took in her presence was better at close range than the serious face he'd exchanged it for, that somehow he was less real when he was being himself thus making her life easier. The way he looked at her now, though, made it quite clear to her that he meant what he said as a serious question and wanted an honest answer from her.

"I am searching for him, yes, but I've lived in this part of the world for so long with only short trips to other places that I don't think I can really call my hopes searching anymore." Falling into silent contemplation for a moment to reflect on what she'd revealed to him, Maia felt lonely as she dropped her gaze to her hands that were lying lifelessly in her lap. "I'm that easy to read, huh? Do I really seem so desperate?" The questions were more of her thinking aloud and not giving heed to her tongue that he might be listening to her. "Would you tell me something?" she asked, her tone a bit more lively as she began to emerge from her bubble of self pity and put up her defenses again, a soft smile painting itself on her features.

Lion

Often, those dealing in seedy business, from thievery to trafficking to murder, had to train themselves to be wont to suspect everyone and everything at having an ulterior motive; and also to be able decipher between liars and those that were truly inculpable.  Kaito, though a criminal indeed due to his affiliation with the Underground, did not obtain a habit such as this.  He allowed his empathy to better read a person than to constantly hold a suspicion and fearing for his own safety.  For the most part, he knew he could hold his own should trouble strike unexpectedly and would roll and rumble with the flow of trouble that came his way.  His mind was trained to expect the unexpected all the while maintaining a lack of time consciousness.  After all he was immortal and had no reason to worry about the future as other creatures might.

But tonight was different.  Not so much in the fact that here he was tied to a chair in middle of a small dark room with another of his kind blushing shyly at him, but in the fact that he had found another.  Even now, he did not know what to make of it for the prospect had little to no significance as of now.  Yet he pondered when he considered his own words.  Indeed she was looking for her lifemate, and how would that affect him?  What if, beyond all circumstances, perceptions, hopes, dreams, lives, deaths, and world, that he, Kaito Cadeyrn, was her the lifemate she had been searching for her entire existence?  Indeed then what was he to do?  Kaito, having never been in love before, could not understand the formal processes of love, only able to understand the intensity of such emotions involved.  Perhaps his empathy would be to his advantage and would have no trouble in loving her or vice versa.  Or maybe he was nothing to her at all but another Carpathian with no connection to her lifemate.  Kaito ignored both ideas and would let the event unfold as it happened.

He rewarded her with kind eyes this time, eyes filled with sympathy and all the understanding he could manage.  Silence again filled the spaces all around them; it seemed to become a habit this evening.  He listened to her self-pity and still said nothing for he recognize self-contemplation when he saw/heard it.  No, he did not think that she was a desperate fool, merely a victim of the legacy of her breed.  Kaito had chosen not to become a slave to the lifemate business long ago but he wasn't going to lay down his ideals on her with impudent reproach.  All the pieces seemed to fit together now, though.  She's lonely, indeed, he thought, peering down at the floor solemnly and conclusively.

Then she broke the silence once more.  "Something?" he questioned trying to smile once more at the sound of her voice perking up.  "Considering I can't run anywhere, being tied up and all," he tried jumping in his chair again, catching himself when he nearly fell over, "I don't see any reason why not.  I've got nothing to hide.  What do you want to know?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She couldn't help herself as she heard the wooden chair across from her sliding against the floor, instinctively lifting her gaze to see what he was doing and letting a gentle laugh escape from her as she watched him catch himself from falling to the floor with the chair. Seeing him in such a state allowed her to loosen up a bit as she nodded to what he'd pointed out about the ropes that bound him. "I'm sorry about that but I can't have you making off right now," she reminded him with a teasing sneer. She couldn't help but take notice of the fact that he'd said nothing about searching for his own lifemate, though, and she eyed him carefully for moment as she wondered why he hadn't. "Have you lost your lifemate?" she asked suddenly in puzzlement but quickly snapped her mouth shut as she realized that if he had he wouldn't want to talk about it with someone that had tied him up in order to have a conversation with him. When would she learn to keep her mouth shut? The rare burst of such a carefree attitude from Maia had now diminished completely, her expression returning to her usual cautious, yet curious one. "Err...I'm sorry, but I actually have a couple of questions, although I doubt you'll like either. I was wondering if you might tell me your real name...and if you'd like me to stitch up that cut on your shoulder for you?"

But then Maia felt even worse about the situation she thought she'd gotten herself into. Of course if he had lost his lifemate he certainly wouldn't want anything to do with her and her piteous ways. Hanging her head to avoid his eyes she attempted to think of other matters such as what exactly she going to do with him. Her offer to patch him up certainly canceled out any thought she'd had to finish what she'd been entrusted with doing to him as punishment for whatever he'd done. She believed that Ottah had always placed the utmost trust in her, especially after the favor he'd done for her before she'd started working for him. Nothing he did ever seemed terrible to her and she knew that her lies were quite easy to see through so telling a story to cover her tail didn't seem likely without it resulting in her death. Work was an honest thing to Maia and if she wasn't honest about what she did she was better to him dead than alive. She wondered then why things were the way that they were for her and decided to place the blame on the trust she'd put in the hands of others so long ago, the trust she'd thought would stick for life.

Lion

"Fate sure has a funny way of bringing things about," he said half-jokingly.  But he meant it in every breath, shape and form.  Wouldn't it be rather strange to you if you ended up flung into a room with another member of your kind, possibly the one you have searched for (or in Kaito's case, happened upon) your entire life?  However, he did not believe in fate, not as much as he believed in chance and luck, relying on the two when he played certain games.  He knew things were not always meant to be and therefore that left concepts like destiny and fate at little dry in the support corner.  Kaito assumed that this moment was entirely by chance, for how else would he be able to explain that he'd gotten tied up by someone he'd been able to best in combat before.  Of course, he left out the facts that they were in a narrow alley way and lacked the space that the rooftop provided them when they first met.

To make matters even stranger, he seemed to be enjoying the situation now as he smiled genuinely across at her, his white teeth glinting like valuable jewels.  He suddenly thought nothing of escaping, having found comfort in her presence and, to add to the cause, he really had no where else to go but another tavern or Peach's brothel which he really had no business in.  At her reference to his lifemate, he shook his head, still smiling.  "There's no need to apologize, you were merely asking an honest question.  But no, I don't have a lifemate; least I haven't found her.  Then again, I haven't really been looking 'round."   She resumed her questioning enough to give him to time come up with the proper answers.  "My name's Kaito... Kaito Cadeyrn.  As you probably already know, White Tiger's just my fighting name.  A person's real identity holds no store in the Underground.  And the cut...I'd like that, yeah.  If it isn't too much trouble for you that is."

For the most part, Kaito was a congenial fellow and was not wont to reject some kind of aid when there was something he knew he could not do himself.  And now, sitting in this godforsaken chair with ropes chafing the bruises on his ribs from his recent fight, he couldn't really help himself with the slash along his shoulder.  "Uh, Ms. Maia, I know this probably isn't the best time to say this, but wouldn't it be better if you did the stitching without the ropes.  I promise I won't run away.  You have my word on my warrior's honor.  'Sides I got nowhere to go anyways."  He chuckled lightly and looked at her seriously, where in matters that involved his honor, he never fooled around.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

For some reason unknown to Maia she felt better that he hadn't taken offense to her questioning and smiled when he revealed that he hadn't really been looking for his lifemate either. "I guess I can't really complain then; you can't find your lifemate without searching for them." But then he continued speaking to her in reply to her other questions, which surprised her since she hadn't thought he'd want anything to do with her after she'd tied him up like she had. She looked up to his face and couldn't help but reflect the smile that she saw there. "Kaito, that's a nice name, I like it. I figured you used it for that...and no it wouldn't be any trouble at all." She stood from her chair and turned to exit the room to retrieve what she'd need to take care of the cut she'd made on him but stopped when he started to speak again. Turning her head as she listened, Maia flinched when he asked to be untied. He said he had nowhere to go but how was she to know that to be true? But he'd been so honest with her so what reason did she have to say no? Then she got the gears turning in her head and wondered if he'd been honest only for the purpose of gaining some of her trust just to make his escape plan easier. Shaking her head at him, not in reply to his request but as a gesture of her uncertainty, she turned her back to him and made an unnecessarily slow paced exit out the door.

Walking down the narrow hall to her room she opened the door and entered into the dark and silent space. Going to her window first she closed, locked, and shuttered it so that she wouldn't have to bother with it later on when she needed to keep from the rising sun. Then she went to her bed and pulled out a small box out from under it that she kept a few needles and some thread in and set the box on top of her sheets. Walking to her bureau she rummaged through the contents before taking two small cloths and extra strips of the bandaging she'd used as a brace for her own shoulder and placed them beside the box on her bed before walking to the other side of the room to fill a bowl with water. Laying the dressing materials over the box she took it in one hand and balanced the bowl in her other. Making her way back to the room Kaito was in she placed everything next to the chair she'd been sitting in before making her way over to him.

"If you're lying to me and you are going to run as soon as I release you please be mindful and don't let anyone see you," she said softly as she walked the short distance between them and knelt to quickly undo the knots around his feet, making her movements swift and returning to a standing position when she was finished for fear he'd planned to kick her in the face. Then, making her way around him she carefully untied the ropes coiled around his torso and wrists. "If you plan to stay I'd rather you sit on the floor, makes it easier for me," she said with a gesture towards the hard surface, a nervous look in her eyes as she wondered if he'd spoken the truth and would stay or he'd lied to her and would soon be bolting for the door.

Lion

Kaito was almost disappointed that she did not answer his question but instead shook her head and departed the room in silence.  He didn't know that she was nodding to herself and took the action as a way to convey that she didn't trust him at all.  Of course, he had given her reason enough to do so with the beating and the threatening but he did that only in self-defense for he would never intentionally hurt a person unless he saw reason to do so; it was his warrior code and directly linked to his honor.  But there he sat, uncomfortable against chafing ropes that bound him tightly awaiting her self-prescribed medical attention.

He wondered why she said nothing.  Maybe she still thinks I'm a liar, he thought savagely, screwing his face in a grimace.  Well, it's not like I can blame her really.  I did try to kick her ass after all.  But then again, I was honest with her in all my answers.  I really meant what I said when I didn't have anything to hide or anywhere to go and to add to it all, I swore upon my honor.  I can't get anymore promising than that.  But he knew contemplating the matter would be completely useless.  The throbbing from the wound on his should was really starting to get to him as well as the bruises along his torso.  But luckily Maia had returned by then with the proper gear and obliged his request, much to his surprise.

Kaito still said nothing and merely smiled at her actions and words, a grin that conveyed no hostility; hopefully.  He observed her untying him, his eyes studying the deft movements of her hands and admiring them.  When his legs were undone he stretched them out and turned his head to the side to watch her untie the knot on his back.  With that the ropes became loose and fell into a pool about him.  He stood slowly from his chair, towering over Maia but merely grinned at her and said softly, "As you wish, milady."  While he lowered himself to the ground, he undid his upper robe and took it off his body when he reached the floor.  He let his belly caress the floor and dropped the cloth beside him, folding his arms beneath his chin and resting his head on them.  With his head tilted to the side to better face her as she performed her work, he said, "You may begin."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Going rigid as he stood from the chair, Maia's eyes widened when she realized just how much of a difference a few inches made in their heights. She'd seen taller men in her years but he still surprised her for some reason. Watching him as he went to the floor and removed the robe that had been so haphazardly wrapped around him she caught herself staring at the gash that revealed itself from behind the fabric and instantly regretted ever digging her knife into him. Nodding at his words she knelt on both knees beside him before dragging the materials she'd brought around his elbow to rest in front of her. Noticing his head turned so he was now looking up at her, Maia tugged at her lower lip again as her hands fluttered against the skin surrounding the deep cut, sighing softly as she again acknowledged silently that she'd done this to him, a member of her own race.

After inspecting his back she diligently soaked every thread of the cloth she'd selected to clean out his wound. Setting the cool fabric to his skin she gently removed stray bits of dirt that had settled shallowly in the cut and wiped the skin surrounding it clean before hanging the cloth from the rim of the bowl, oblivious to the fact that her own saliva could be used to perform a much more efficient role than her stitches and bandaging work. Opening her box she pulled out the newest and sharpest of her needles and slowly threaded a thin string from a spool through the eye. Finally looking down at him with the purpose of making eye contact, Maia let out a soft sigh. "Just tell me if it hurts you too much at any time, I'll pull it out." With that she began the row of stitches across his skin, carefully bringing the two sides of flesh together with her fingertips before putting the needle through and then knotting each line that crisscrossed along his shoulder to ensure the strength of the temporary bindings. She kept the pattern consistent as she worked, moving as quickly as she could without bringing unnecessary harm to him with the needle she held, all the while focusing on the wound and away from the eye she knew she'd find observing her closely.

Even though she would deny such a thing if asked directly, Maia was actually enjoying herself; liking how easy it was to be around him now. Stealing a quick glance up to his face she gave a timid smile as she made the last few knots to hold the stitching in place, reluctantly taking her hands from his skin to observe her work as she returned the needle and thread to their box. Noticing the bruises forming along his ribs she touched the tender skin lightly with her fingertips, frowning at the difference of shade the areas had. "Did that happen in a fight?" she asked softly, looking up to his eye again as she took the second clean cloth into her hands and began folding it to a more manageable size to cover his injury with. Gently placing the piece of fabric against the sutured skin Maia took the thin strips of cloth in one hand and lightly touched the other to his arm in silent request for him to shift his weight so she could finish up. "You should avoid fighting if you can until you've healed, it'll help you keep it from reopening," she reminded him, her voice friendlier now that she'd gotten a bit more comfortable though it frightened her that she'd changed her view of him so drastically while conversing in this room. So quickly she'd gone from wanting him dead to frankly enjoying his company even though most of their time had been spent in silence. It's probably just excitement, you haven't seen another Carpathian in so long, Maia reminded herself as a cloud of disappointment shadowed her mind.

ooc: yay for passing 500 views xD I wonder who else is following the story *looks around at other members and points finger at accusingly*

Lion

He was thankful for the space allotted to him as he stretched out his limbs generously, flexing the finely formed muscles of his back in the process.  When he settled down and adjusted his head positioning so that he was comfortable enough on the floor, he nodded in agreement with her comment about discomfort.  But he knew that he wouldn't be uncomfortable in her presence and that she would do her best not to hurt him.  He didn't know when or how this new sensation came about, but quite suddenly he trusted her, especially now with medical equipment in her hands as she tended to his wounds.  There was no sudden reason as to why this was; he just knew he felt it deep inside him, an intimate trust that could be found only between the closest of friends.  And how such a feeling manifested itself in so short a time would also remain a mystery to him.

Then the work began, his skin tingling beneath her meticulous and skilled touch.  He seemed to like the fact that she was touching him in a non-hostile fashion, and gave a grin here and there when she gathered the courage to meet his gaze.  His heart abruptly began to speed in its beating, his blood slowly starting to rush.  His breathing changed as well, but he steadied it as much as he could.  Though she was gentle, there was some minor discomfort and he shifted slightly to distract his brain from computing it.  Surely he knew that her saliva would work just as well, if not better than her handy stitching but he kept his mouth shut.  He wouldn't want to ruin such a nice moment with a very obvious comment.

With the knotting of the last stitch, the sewing upon his flesh was complete and he was proud that he successfully underwent it without complaint.  Maia nudged him to shift his weight and he did so accordingly, replying, "Yeah, just a few hours ago.  I was fighting a newcomer and—" Kaito stopped for a moment to turn slightly on his side, wincing slightly as he was not lying directly on the bruises of his left side "—I won."  When he successfully turned all the way on his side, propping his himself up on one arm to better face her, he nodded in response to her suggestion, "When you're right, you're right."  There seemed to be no ceasing in the long silences and pauses between them but he as alright with then.  Then he took it upon himself to initiate questioning, "I hope it's alright if I ask you a private question, y'know since I answered all of yours without contesting it.  But uh, this whole lifemate business and with you staying here most of the time is quite interesting to me.  You're a lot prettier when you're up close and personal and not hostile.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that such a pretty girl like you would have had a lot of boyfriends throughout your lifetime.  I hope I'm not wrong, am I?"

[awesome!  I always wonder if other players are reading it...but I guess I'll never know.  But yay for the views anyway.  Thank you, all you anonymous readers out there.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

As he shifted beside her, Maia scrambled to catch the cloth she'd placed on his back as he started to turn on his side, a soft laughter escaping her as she scooted a bit closer to properly secure and wrap the bandages over her neat stitches to complete the job she'd started. She couldn't help but notice him wince, however, and briefly looked to the pillow still resting on her chair while wondering if she should get it for him. She made the quick decision against that thought, though, when she realized she'd have to stretch over him to retrieve it and she didn't want him thinking she was using the pillow as an excuse to touch him again even though she hadn't given a thought to the idea, or had she? Closing her eyes for a moment to try and clear her mind of her nervous thoughts, she nodded in acknowledgment that he'd won, confirming her thoughts on how he'd received such bruises.

Then he began talking again, asking if he could ask her a question. "Of course," she said, waiting to hear what he had to say. The question, though, immediately brought an intense blush to her cheeks while she quickly looked to the floor. The question was innocent enough on the outside but brought memories to Maia that she wished she didn't have. It wouldn't be fair to him if she refused to answer so she cleared her throat to bide her time as she lifted her eyes to look at him once again. Reflecting on the question she realized that he was complimenting her, which caused her blush to darken as she kept her gaze away from him and now placed it upon the door. "I'm not really how I play up to be, you know. It's an act I put on to trick myself...Anyways, I've had men ask about me before but no, I haven't had many boyfriends at all. Only one actually, a very long time ago, but after he left me I decided that I wanted to look for my lifemate. As you know I haven't had any luck in my travels with finding him, but it's probably for the best if he and I don't get together, he probably wouldn't have the patience to deal with me." Maia smiled to herself then, laughing lightly at her own words as she felt the blush receding. Turning her head slightly she asked, "What about you? I bet you've had your share of girls, being a fighter and all."

Lion

To trick herself?  Why would she want to do that?  He gave a small thought to the definition of her words, but concluded briefly that this imparted to her loneliness, or at least what loneliness he detected in her.  Placing the thought away into the corner of his for later use, he listened to the rest of her explanation.  Nodding in understanding he moved to correct her, "Nah, only a few.  Unlike most men, I'm not the lusty type.  Except for maybe, a girl I wanted, then yeah I'd go after her.  Not rape them, mind you but, y'know the whole wooing process thing.  But no, I've never had anything really serious."

He then acknowledged her statement of before, that her lifemate would be unable to be patient with her.  Growing solemn for a moment and looking at her in utter silence, he took his time in shaking his head.  "I beg to disagree, Maia," Kaito began without further hesitation. "I've been around long enough to understand lifemates are just as the name states: mates for life.  Meaning that the two are meant for one another and would unconditionally love each other for as long as they both shall live.  I think, no am sure, that whoever your lifemate is, he'll love you forever, no matter who you are or what you present to him.  Remember this is coming from a fellow Carpathian and a male."  Kaito raised his body further, pushing himself up from his elbow to sit.  He pulled one knee up him and propped the other in a bent position to balance his body out.  His face changed now, less solemn and more audacious, acting on impulse and what he felt at the moment.  Somehow, looking deeply into Maia's eyes put him at ease inside and dispelled any fear at asking his next question.  He grinned wryly again, stealing a glance down at the floor momentarily, and then looking back up at her.  He spoke slowly and softly, trying to accommodate the pace at which his heart was beating at this moment, "And...I think... he might be closer than you think.  What if, beyond all possibility, that I turned out to be your lifemate?"  He still kept his soft, small grin but looked at her expectantly, serious in his inquiries.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Maia paid close attention to his words as she listened to him speak, preferring the sound of his voice over the silence that kept falling between them. Thinking on what he'd said about lifemates, how they would stick together for the rest of their days, she understood then why exactly her mind was placing such importance on her hunt for her own lifemate. Again he complimented her, which promptly brought yet another of her shy grins to the surface. "You seem to understand it better, so I suppose it'd be in my best interest to believe you. I never learned anything of importance about our race when I was younger. My mother told me about lifemates, what she experienced when she found my father and how important it was for me to find my own but other than that I wasn't educated well in the ways of Carpathians," she admitted, watching him carefully as he sat up and shifted himself around once again.

Finding herself staring into his eyes and him hers, Maia willed herself to look away from him but found no other place to focus on without seeming rude to him so she kept herself still. As she stared, though, she saw a change in the way that he looked at her and swallowed back the lump of nervousness that had risen in her throat. His words were not what she'd expected to hear from him but she thought about the possibility, something a few hours ago she would have never thought possible. But then she reflected back on her past, what signs her mother had told her to look for when she found her lifemate and it brought her sadness. "Kaito, that's very sweet of you to suggest, I'd like that...but I can't see in color," she began, not wanting to scare away his confidence but immediately feared that she had. "I haven't been able to for hundreds of years and, well you see, my mother told me that the gift of color was the first thing returned to her and that she regained everything else over time. Being her daughter I don't understand what would be different about my changes...but what about us makes you think that we could be lifemates? Is there something different about you or I now?" she asked, curious about what his thoughts were even though she was too afraid to give her own personal ones on the matter at the time.

She took the quiet time she had to think to herself, wondering what her life would be like with Kaito in the picture. She liked the thought of it, reminding herself of how kind he'd been to her in the last hours, how much different he was from when they'd first met. What surprised Maia the most, though, was that he seemed to genuinely like her and she hadn't experienced someone liking her for her since the time she'd spent living with her parents so long ago. Bringing her attention back to Kaito and looking into his dark eyes she gave him an encouraging smile as she awaited his reply. Tentatively she reached for one of his hands and brushed her fingers lightly against his. "Tell me your thoughts, please Kaito, I'd like to hear them," she whispered, looking up at him with an encouraging smile, a curious glint in her eye.

ooc: a little better...I woke up and read the first version and kind of felt stupid so I changed a few things and this is my official post! xD So uh...if you saw the first one just ignore it? Not much has changed but certain parts may have a different reaction now because I added to them.

Lion

Kaito's own grin did not fade, even in the face of her disappointing words.  His eyes grew soft on hers, admiring her womanly form at the same time as he acknowledged her words.  "That may be," he replied, his voice tranquil.  "But no two Carpathians are ever the same, are they?  Just because you are your mother's daughter doesn't mean something else might not be different with you or with me.  It's said that color is the first to return but also that it's not always instant.  In time, who knows what might happen."  Kaito, his heart still maintaining its incessant drumming, took the opportunity to scoot closer to her.

As she touched his hand lightly, he was surer than hell than he felt his pulse leap at her contact.  Glancing down at his hand that she touched, he flexed his fingers once before reaching for hers and holding her fingers gently in his hands.  "I do feel something different," he went on.  "Feel my heartbeat."  Taking the very tips of her hand, he ever so lightly pressed them against his chest, at its center where it could be found the drumming of his heart.  "I've never felt like this before, where just being in the presence of a girl makes my heart speed up and my blood rush.  You might say that's only my body acting instinctually to you.  But I don't think so.  I told you before that I'm not the lusty-type; I meant it and the fact that just looking at you now gets me feeling this way, with chills running their cold hands down my spine and sending jolts into my stomach."

He took his time in fingering her hand in his own larger one, looking down at it, he continued, "There's nothing I can say that would mean for sure that I might be your lifemate; I know how I feel.  Maybe it's love at first sight or maybe it's just fascination.  But whatever it is, I know it's there."  Kaito continued to speak softly before bracing her fingers slightly to his lips.  His breath caught, he looked at her seductively, his eyes tracing details best left for holy men to condemn from the masses.  He then asked her lowly, "Don't you feel anything?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn