Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A little lost, and a lot out of place... (Nightshade/open!)

Started by Anonymous, December 14, 2008, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It started as a subtle hum in the air flowing through the clearing, barely audible.  Gradually it increased in volume, changing from a hum to the recognizable sounds of running water, the merry trickling and bubbling filling the clearing.  The sounds abruptly ceased, and bizarrely, the clearing was as wet as if it had just rained.  And right in the center, lay a scantily clad woman whose clothing and blue hair clung to her skin, just as wet as the grass around her.

She slowly sat up, the golden bangles on her wrists and ankles clinking softly as she moved.  A look around the clearing ended in her realizing that she really had no idea where she was, only that where ever this was, it wasn't anywhere on Gaia she had ever been.  And there was no usual comforting presence in the back of her mind.  Being totally cut off from her connection with the god Aquanis finally made it sink in.  This really wasn't Gaia, and she had no clue where this was.

Pulling her knees up to her chest, she brushed her skirt away from her legs, and rested her head on her knees, sighing quietly.  So.  On a totally different world, utterly lost, and completely unable to sense the presence of the gods she'd known all the centuries of her long life.  Sarathel was not at all happy with this turn of events.  Gaia...was probably gone now.  Her little world had endured so much under the fighting, and she hadn't been able to even keep her own little temple safe.  She slumped backwards, stretching out on the grass, and gazed skywards, brushing her fingers through the grass as she contemplated her next move.  ...Whatever that turned out to be, as all her thoughts kept running back to finding a way back home.

Which wasn't even possible, since she couldn't even feel the presence of the gods she knew...so, likely she was stuck here.  Where ever here was...

Anonymous

Delaine LaCroix was not happy at all. In fact, he never was, so this was a usual state for him to be in. He was currently pissed off at the latest turn of events, wherein somehow he had managed to get himself in trouble with a whole fricking army, on account of helping some lying, cheating damsel in distress escape. Why did he always get in these situations?

And he was no where near any closer in throwing off the ridiculous shackles that bound him to forever do good. At least those that saw him didn't see his real self. He would've been absolutely mortified if he had been forced to bear the curse whilst still recognisable so in a twisted way, he was grateful to the enchantress who had replaced the darkness of his hair with a shade of poncy blonde.

Currently, Delaine was walking down a path, wallowing in his self-misery, grumbling to the world in general. Essentially, this curse had forced him to make a career change that was proving life-changing in a bad way. No longer was he free to pillage and loot. The path of a thief was now lost to him for as long as these armlets were locked upon his wrists. Being a knight, he now had to earn his living, and seriously, saving damsels really did not pay well. Especially when they all had attitude.

There was to be no more women. No more women. No more women.

And yet, no matter how many times he chanted that mantra to himself, women just kept falling...

...from the sky.

"What the hell?" Blinking, he rubbed his eyes several times, gaping at the figure lying huddled before his feet.

That had never happened before.

And then it began to rain on him.

"Stupid gods, sodding weather, bleeping...gracious madam, how can I help thee?" The sudden turn in tone was a result of the curse kicking in, as the female sat up and looked around, confused. She hadn't quite noticed him yet, so the curse thought it would be funny to make him wave and grin like a retard. "Would you like a hand?"

No. He had to get away now. Things like this neverended well...for him. And yet, he found himself extending a hand towards her.

((I ADORE writing Delaine! <3 <3 <3))

Anonymous

The sounds of someone swearing quickly caught Sarathel's attention, getting the woman to look up at the dark haired man standing before her.  He waved and smiled at her, and she reached up and brushed a strand of blue away from her face before smiling back at him, and placing her hand in his.  She rose easily, just barely tightening her grip on him as she did so, and then noticed he'd been rained on.  A small flicker of amusement passed her eyes.  So, that's what he'd been fussing about.

"Greetings, mortal.  Please accept my apologies for the rain, Lord Aquanis' magic often gets everything around it wet."  A rather obvious statement, as everything around her was dripping at this point...at least it was good for the plant life around them.  "Might one inquire as to where this place is?  I'm afraid it's not at all familiar to me."  And she had picked up on the unusual magic around him now, and quietly studied his face as she waited for his response, her hand still gently resting in his.  

The very first person she had seen, a mage?  Or at least in possession of some magic artifact, for it was hard to tell where precisely the magic was coming from, as it felt different from what she was accustomed to.  Perhaps this world blessed more of its people with the gift.

Lion

[Hm, it seems I was a little late in the posting order.]

He didn't belong here, that was for sure.  He'd fallen from the cliff only a few minutes prior to landing face-first in the underbrush in a final, pathetic attempt at flying.  But he knew now it was hopeless.  He would never fly as he once did, soaring over the barren world where he once resided.  Getting one's wings torn off was never a pleasant experience, especially if it involved a severe cracking of bone and shredding of flesh; it was said an angel's wings were things that they were carry forever but Haelo was now immortal proof that such a concept was as mythical as the being he was.  Wherever he was now, this outlandish place he known only as Earth, it was nothing like ruined world he'd originated from.

He was as foreign to Earth as was vice versa.  He was a warrior that spanned thousands of years, fighting monsters most others would know as demons and he was among the seven of his kind that was most dedicated to delivering the souls of the damned back toward the light.  For Haelo was no ordinary angel, no run of the mill celestial being that was thrown onto this cursed plane of existence as punishment, but a former member of what was known as the Angelo, or Red Angel.  Seven beings united to save innocent souls unjustly cast into the black abyss, but this was a fragment of his past, something not even that could be summoned with the help of the demon that reluctantly bonded with his soul.

"Ugh!  You sicken me!  You're such a weakling," the voice of Maelzedek muttered in Haelo's head.  "You're trying to reach back for something you'll never catch.  What kind of idiot are you?"

"You won't provoke me, demon, if that's your intention.  An Angelo is capable of resisting such damaging emotions," he responded firmly, speaking to thin air.

Maelzedek relinquished a throaty rasp of a chuckle, "But you're not one of them anymore!  And don't you forget it.  You were stripped of your powers and sent on this loathsome exile just because you didn't want to use this new power inside you: Me."

Haelo felt his face grow slightly hot in a pale, impotent rage that began to well in his chest.  "Oh, what do you know, idiot?  You're just as helpless as I am.  What can you give me that I can't already do myself?"

"I could make you fly again.  I know that is what you desire most."

"Think what you like, but what I really want to is to be rid of you.  You're as worthless as any demon.  I doubt even your master would have any use for you!"

"Fool!"  Maelzedek screeched in his head as suddenly a compounding headache overcame Haelo's senses.

"Gah!"  The rogue angel sank to his knees, the leather wrappings around his legs sinking to the soil.  The migraine the demon set upon his senses was as assaulting to his mentality as it would probably be to anyone else.  For some reason, even after the pounding desisted, his shaking hands ached to snap a neck.

"That," Maelzedek spoke once more, "is for your insolence, you righteous bastard.  There's more I can do to you from within than you could even try without.  Don't think that I don't want to get out of this sickeningly holy body as much as you want me gone!  And be forewarned: I'm going to kill you when I get out."

With his hands still shaking, Haelo uttered back, "We'll see, demon.  We'll see."

He quickly rose to his feet, staggering slightly as one who wasn't used to gravity might.  It was as if he was learning to walk for the first time.  His form was tall and swarthy, something that wouldn't be expected from a former angel and built in a fashion that spoke of his years of fighting.  A few scars touched his arms here and there as well as the ones on his face, one crossing the right of his brown and another smaller one on his lower lip.  Despite the fact that he walked in a tattered half-robe, wrapping around his waist, shoulder and hanging down his side, black leather leggings with their own belts and buckles on them as well as a thick belt that went about his waist like a sash, he was exceptionally beautiful, in the typical seraphic sense.  There was almost a dying glow in his presence as he dragged himself through the daylight of the Draconi Forest.

Haelo needed a walk, that was all; just a moment to clear his head before he would try to figure out a way to deal with his monster.  But there was little time to think before a pair of voices reached his ears.  They seemed to be of both a man and woman and somewhere nearby!  His ears perked up and the innate curiosity in him directed his interest their way.  A soft smell of rain itched at his nose but he held back a sneeze at the thought of being discovered and forced to socially interact.  He just wasn't good in the dealings of humans.

Slowly, he crept forward, keeping his divine spear, the Jihukoten, in hand in case of any sudden moves.  But as he listened tried to listen in on what words ensued, a few points the scantily clad female said perked his interest.  The main one however was, 'Magic.'  He'd heard of this ability bestowed to some lesser beings, power to perform amazing feats unknown to the natural world.  Yet as his mind worked like a clockwork machine, he understood that if this woman was a beholder of esoteric arts of magic, perhaps she could help him.

He cringed inwardly at the thought of having to spend the next thousand years or so with a demon bickering at him all the time.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The female had interestingly coloured hair, and emitted an aura of intense shyness, for one so scantily clad. That confused Delaine somewhat; he was more used to seeing women like this one at the markets, with smiles not quite so innocent. Her grip was as soft and warm as that of a newborn. Hells bells, imagine if anyone else other than me had found this being, he thought to himself, raising an eyebrow.

Pulling up the woman, his attention was then drawn to the weapon she clung to with her other hand. That looked exotic! The gears of his mind began to turn, creaking into motion. Such an exotic weapon couldn't be local. His keen eye and sharp senses immediately identified the weapon as a Magical Artifact, the prime choice of objects he used to steal in his old life. This was so totally, unbelievably, metaphorically, and physically unfair. How could he be punished even more? Oh I know, flaunt a bloody pitchfork in my face!

His eyes were still glued to the metal fork, when the being began to speak. "Greetings, mortal. Please accept my apologies for the rain, Lord Aquanis' magic often gets everything around it wet. Might one inquire as to where this place is? I'm afraid it's not at all familiar to me."

So, Delaine thought he'd heard everything. But he sure as hell had never heard of anybody else who spoke in the same way as his crappy cursed counterpart did. This was almost a moment for celebration, if he could actually afford one. But everyone knew that the travelling knight occupation paid only in food, bed, women if you were everyone but him, and treasure, also if you were everyone but him.

"Ah, you are currently in the humble region known as Draconi Forest, gracious lady." The words spilled out of his mouth without a second thought. Well, it could be OK if this person didn't make fun of them like every other flipping person had. Maybe it would be worth sticking with her for a bit; after all, he needed someone else to laugh at to make himself feel better. "I take it you are a traveller to these lands?"

Anonymous

((I'm used to just posting when you can, but I have no problem posting in rounds if you guys prefer it that way.))

It wasn't that Sarathel was shy, far from it, she was quite accustomed to dealing to with people and happy do so.  One had to be such a person to be in charge of one of Gaia's many temples.  The elemental enjoyed company, whether mortal or her fellow elementals.  She simply had a way of coming off as reserved and quiet, which was the truth.  She'd always been more the listening type, and it had served her well during the long centuries spent as a temple priestess.  

As for her style of clothing... Modesty wasn't one of her strongest qualities, indeed none of the elementals were well known for being conservatively clothed.  Besides, covering so little made it so much easier to move swiftly and agilely when necessary.  And she was rather proud of her beauty, feeling that there was no reason to hide such a well crafted physique.  

The loose grip on her trident tightened as she looked around, the feeling of another magic aura approaching having caught her attention.  That it was keeping its distance was more attention grabbing than its mere presence.  Sneaking around, spying on others...the concept had been introduced into her life a few short centuries ago, and Sarathel had not liked it one bit.  Subterfuge was something she cared very little for, but... She relaxed her grip, showing no other sign of having sensed the presence, her gaze returning to Delaine.  

"A traveler I am indeed.  This entire world is unfamiliar to me."  There had been other worlds close to Gaia, close enough to see in the night sky, though none of them had been populated like her own world.  "Ah, forgive me.  I am Sarathel, one of Lord Aquanis' many daughters."  Introductions, of course, though she had chosen to leave out her status for now.  Being stranded on an entirely unfamiliar world, a companion would be nice, and this man seemed to be just the sort she could trust.

Anonymous

"Sarathel?" Delaine mused, tasting the sound of the name upon his tongue. "I'm Delaine, by the way, and pleased to meet you."

He normally wasn't so eager to give his name away, but then again, he didn't normally get to meet scantily clad women who fell from the sky. His thoughts came to a stand still when he realised that must mean one of two things. Either she had magical powers of some sort, or she was really rubbish at flying.

He didn't actually care about this, but now that he had formally introduced himself, Delaine had no idea of what to say next. Three seconds had almost passed. One more, and the four-second-awkward-silence stage would have been reached. "By the way, who is Lord Aquanis?"

Next he'd decided that he would ask her about flying, although a sinking feeling already told him that this girl was definitely magically aligned. Even though he couldn't steal the trident from her, that wouldn't stop him trying. He hoped to hell that a person could only bear one curse at a time.

((Sorry for the short and late reply. Eeek, a double bad!! Hope you had a good Christmas though!))

Anonymous

The presence had faded as abruptly as it had appeared, leaving the woman somewhat bewildered as she returned her attention to the man before her.  A moment's hesitation, and she finally dismissed her trident, the weapon shimmering briefly before it disappeared entirely, and she moved her free hand to clasp Delaine's in a warm grip.  "Tis a blessing to meet you."  It was a rather formal greeting, one she had used many a time before.

And as if it hadn't been confirmed before, her new companion's question reaffirmed she was somewhere entirely new.  But to not have heard of the gods... surely they would have spoken to their children here as well?  Or perhaps they had withdrawn from this world as well, so long ago that all had forgotten?  Her smile faltered, an expression of confusion upon her pretty features.  "Lord Aquanis is the god of Water, of course.  Surely you've heard of the gods?"

If he hadn't, if this entire world had been abandoned just like hers had once been, would she find others like herself?  Or maybe there weren't any like her, perhaps they had disappeared as well.  That kind of alone didn't appeal to Sarathel at all.  The company of mortals was enjoyable, but it wasn't the same as having her siblings around.

((OOC: It's alright, and I did.  Hope yours was merry too!))

Anonymous

"I don't mean to alarm you, but...I really haven't," Delaine said in all seriousness. Scratching his head, he wondered where on earth this being was from. No one in these parts really did religion. The only person he really worshipped was...himself. Not wanting to upset Sarathel, Delaine hastily continued. "But I suppose many other fair beings far more educated than a lowly knight like me may possess knowledge of this deity."

Delaine wanted to hit himself. Why was there no warning when he started spouting knight-speak? It just happened...he would be speaking normally, and then the switch would happen instantaneously, as if a lever had been flicked on in his inner workings. Man, did this annoy him.

Slightly paranoid, his attention was diverted to a songbird nearby. It raised its head and looked at him with one eye, cocking its head to the side. Hopping closer, the bird opened its mouth and a torrent of song poured out from its beak.

You're laughing at me, aren't you, birdy? Delaine narrowed his eyes, and gritted his teeth.

((Replies will get longer as we get into this RP! :D))

Anonymous

She sighed quietly.  "Perhaps they have left this world behind, too."  The woman did not quite understand why the gods would leave their worlds behind, unless they had left to start over with another world, but still... Why leave behind worlds like hers and this, so full of life?  

Sarathel looked back up at him, feeling a little relieved at his next statement.  "Could you perhaps guide me to such people?"  She reached out suddenly, putting a hand on his shoulder as she gazed up at him eagerly.  "Or...perhaps you have seen others like me?  Elementals, children of the gods, perhaps of the other elements?"  A flicker of sadness passed over her face for a moment.  "You see, my world is gone and I do not know where my siblings may have ended up.  I can't have been the only one to have disappeared from our world."

She dropped her hand from Delaine's shoulder, realizing how she'd just babbled at him, and how much she'd said.  Her hand went to cover her mouth, her eyes widening a bit in surprise at herself.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to carry on in such a manner."  Really now, babbling on like that wasn't appropriate.

Anonymous

"Ah, it's OK,"  Delaine mumbled, feeling his cheeks suddenly burn. "It is rather warm, is it not, milady? So perhaps we should walk to cool our bloods and senses and minds." Now he was stammering. Blinking, he swallowed and thought furiously as his mind decided now would be a good time to go blank. He fumbled for scraps of knowledge before pointing unequivocally. "The nearest town is thataway."

If one followed the imaginary line from his finger, then they would come to a path which would lead to the town Delaine had just run away from. His last adventure had not ended well there, and he was sure he wouldn't be welcome so soon after. Then again, opinions could change...maybe...? Don't be so hopeful, he thought gloomily. You're just setting yourself up for a metaphorical hanging and a literal ass-whupping.

((Happy new year!!!))

Anonymous

A glance in the direction Delaine pointed, and she nodded once.  "I believe a walk would be a good idea... thank you, Delaine."  She had noticed his hesitation, and again regretted how she'd babbled at him.  "Perhaps you could tell me about this area, Delaine.  Any information you could provide would be very helpful."  She took a step in the direction he'd pointed, then glanced back, waiting for Delaine to lead the way.

((OOC: Sorry about the sucky post, I'm still a bit braindead right now.))

Anonymous

((Hi, I'm so sorry for being on hiatus, and I totally understand if you have moved on, but here is my long belated reply nevertheless!))

Any information? Well, for a start, the people here thought he was weird. The large village mini-town was about ten miles away from Ketra, which was another town that he wasn't welcome in. Jeez. And none of these were his fault too!

"Hmmm, where to start, where to start," Delaine mumbled in a thoughtful tone, delaying for time.

He found the way Sarathel stopped to wait for them kind of endearing, quite a contrast to the sneaky females he'd encountered in his time. It was a pleasant change, and perhaps things would start to look up for him now. Twiddling his thumbs, Delaine set off, brushing past Sarathel as he did so, and indicating for her to come on, with a nod of his head.

"Well, to be honest, I don't really know the name of this town – didn't stay long enough," he added, to make himself sound less ridiculous. And it was kind of true too, so the curse lay dormant. "It's pretty generic, you know, pretty thatched houses, market, a water well...oh, and they have a wonderful massage parlour. Hmm, not really sure what else to say."

He looked slightly sheepish, and glanced quickly at Sarathel to see her response to his pathetic attempt at sounding knowledgeable.

Anonymous

She nodded thoughtfully as he spoke, though, certain things were beginning to grab at her attention.  Like the magic aura around him.  Well, curiousity may have killed the cat, but not the elemental!  Not yet, at least.  Her bracelets and anklets clinked softly as she followed Delaine.

"It has been a long time since I last walked among the mortal races.  I have missed their company."  The mortals of Gaia had long since been killed off in the elementals' war, leaving the world so empty and lonely.  Unlike most divine beings, Sarathel didn't look down on mortals.  They may live much shorter lives, but she still enjoyed their company, being such a social creature.

She glanced up at Delaine, and decided to just pop the question already.  If he didn't wish to answer, then so be it.  "There is such an aura of the arcane around you, Delaine.  Art thou a mage?"  Judging by the strength of the aura, she supposed he was a powerful one.  Or possessed some powerful artifact.

(((OOC:  Glad to have you back!  :3 ))

Anonymous

Delaine came to an abrupt halt.

"Uh..."

OK, so he probably should have expected this. Sarathel was obviously a magical being, and magical beings were at home with inanimate magical non-beings. Still, Delaine felt pretty exposed, as if his soul had been stripped bare and put on display in the market with the rest of the farmyard animals.

"No, I'm not a mage," he said slowly and carefully, walking as if nothing was wrong. Hopefully she wouldn't follow this train of thought. Delaine unsheathed his sword, and waved it about. The tip gleamed a cold shade of silver in the sunlight. Before he could do some serious damage with it, he resheathed it and laughed nervously. "I'm a knight, see? ...And, I do knightly things, like saving damsels from distress and challenging other knights for the hands of said maidens and riding ponies into the sunset."