Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Peace and faerie cakes. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, February 16, 2009, 04:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

For the last few years, visiting the shrine had become something of a weekly ritual and this morning was no different. Avery rose before dawn to bathe, eat, and pick out an offering, and then he was out of brothel and on the path to Sanctuary while the sky was brightening in the east and still dark in the west. Outside the brothel he looked little like the kept 'Peach' he was with his long dark hair pulled back into a simple braid and bare of its usual ornaments, and with him clothed in a pair of breeches and a tunic instead of the sleek robes he wore when he was working.

He liked it, though. It was days like this when he felt closest to who he really was. He didn't have to put on any airs, he didn't have to impress anyone. He could be simple, plain, and normal.

Oh yeah, and a lot of the priests had that whole celibacy thing going on. That was a bonus.

A few times in the past he had actually considered asking to be taken in. He could leave his life at the brothel and be some monk living out his days in the serenity of Sanctuary. A life of humility and helpfulness, a life devoted to his spirituality, a life of celibacy. He wouldn't have to worry about his debt, about pleasing patrons, and--most of all--he would have a place to stay, since he didn't know the first thing about fending for himself.

He'd quickly reconsidered. If he didn't pay off his debt, it would follow him into the next life. And if he surrendered himself to Sanctuary, he'd have to give up on some dreams that just weren't worth giving up for anything.

The weekly pilgrimages were enough.

By the time Avery reached Sanctuary, the sky was bright and the air had warmed up pleasantly. Before him sprawled the vast, haphazard gardens that Avery had loved since childhood, and like every week he made a beeline straight for the shrine--or, well, as straight as a beeline could be in Sanctuary, which wasn't very straight. He knew the way by heart, though, and it wasn't long before he found himself standing before the shrine beneath the shade of that old dragon wing and the ivy that grew all over it. As a child those massive dragon remains had sparked his imagination, and they still did--though now there was respect there.

Avery fished around in his pocket and pulled out a small honey cake, wrapped in a cloth, that he'd swiped from the kitchen, then unwrapped it and set it down on a low, flat boulder. It was kind of squished now, but he'd never heard a faerie complain about it. From his other pocket he removed several colorful and shiny beads and placed them next to the cake before kneeling in the grass and bowing his head.

Or, at least, he tried to, but a backwards tug on his braid made him snap his head back up and turn around to glare at the small, colorful faerie hovering behind him.

That particular faerie was no Sanctuary native.

"What?" he snapped and waved a hand at her to shoo her off, but she dodged nimbly out of the way with a little giggle and back-winged gracefully to land on the rock near Avery's offerings. "What do you want now? Must you follow me every--get away from those!"

The faerie lowered the piece of honey cake she'd broken off and brought to her mouth, then gave a little pout and stomped her foot. "Ishtaq's hungry," she said, and then took a large bite from her piece and flitted out of reach when Avery swiped at her again.

"That's not for you, you little beast! Argh...fine...fine, but that's it, no more." Avery took a deep breath and reined in his aggravation. This was supposed to be relaxing and this was a place of non-violence. The offering was for the fae and other spirits, and she was a fae. Fine. Deep breaths. He could deal with his leech when he was off of holy ground. "Just...leave me alone for five minutes, please and--stop picking at that!" he snapped again when Ishtaq zoomed back over for seconds.

"It's for faeries. Ishtaq's a faerie," she answered with a firm nod and stuck out her tongue at him. Avery just sighed.

Whatever...just ignore her.

Wasn't like she could eat the whole thing, right?
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

It was odd being in the Adela Sanctuary, really the young male did not know what he was doing here... He just wondered on here as a place to get something to eat and maybe pray. Speaking of hungry... Inaka's stomach growled quickly showing that the little fish angel was indeed hunger and in need of food. He had been traveling by foot and occasional wings for about, oh a day or two. Slouching Inaka looked tired as his purple wide eyes scanned the Sanctuary for anyone who was willing to give food... He wasn't "beggar" It was just... His stomach grumbled again as he sighed lightly. He was hungry darn it!

Walking through the shrubbery he walked up to the ancient structure in awe, momentary forgetting his hunger however... Another grumble and he growled at himself patting his stomach in annoyance. "Quiet you..." He whispered annoyed at his frail body. Suddenly the sounds of a high pitched voice echoed though Inaka's skull... was that a faerie? The sparkling colors that made it not native to this area only concluded that something was up. Inaka walked up past the shrubbery only for his breath to hitch in his trout... "A-A Female?" He gasped in his sweet voice obviously scared as he recoiled and wanted to attempt to leave before noticed...

Though something caught his purple irises that calmed him down yet confused him even more... No breasts. All females had breasts, so that meant that this "Lady".. was a guy? That was odd for a guy to look so-feminine Still unsure and curious he ambled up to the guy and realized he had food! Remembering he was hungry Inaka shyly asked the male. "U-Um Sir? D- Do you mind sharing some.. food wi-with me?" He asked nervously, uncertain of the older male in front of him. But he was starving!

Anonymous

It had been years that Nothing had watched the other native Adelan come and go, leave an offering for the spirits of the forest pray and leave, to return a week later and do it all over again. He knew they knew one another on sight, a small smile and wave was given, a greeting between brothers, because Nothing too held the Adelan colouring of dark skin and hair with bright blue eyes. Although, Nothings were more pale blue than bright. Today was no different, Nothing stood to the side, his cream coloured robes draped over him and his long hair down and brushed. All his pride and vanity went into his hair, because it was the only thing he could afford to have it with.

While it had started as a normal day, the Adelan man would come, leave an offering, pray and leave. Taking in the sights, for Sanctuary was a beautiful place. Nothing's own face drew downwards slightly at the boy who seemed to be sneaking around. While they let anyone in, for healing, for rest, the ones who stole what would have been freely given were not as warmly welcomed as those that asked politely. Nothing tilted his head and walked towards them silently from behind, lifting an eyebrow and smirking at the strange noises the boy was making.

Poor thing sounded afraid.

The display before the boy, of the man and the faerie, made Nothing lift an eyebrow and shake his head, a smile on his lips. Once the boy spoke to the man who was trying to wave off the faerie, Nothing spoke up, his voice, while it sounded like it came from his mouth, was in their heads, and if either of them were looking at him they would see that his lips didn't move at all. " I don't think I've come across a man who was scared of women," Nothing teased lightly before taking another step towards them, moving off to the side to look at both of them.

"I have given myself the calling of Nothing, because I am simply a vessel to help those in need. You," He turned towards the strange looking boy and smiled gently, " Seem to be in need of food? And lodgings, I assume." Then he turned to the man, both of them shared a remarkable likeness to their colouring and features, broad shoulders, long hair, "Have been coming here for years, it is nice to finally meet you. You as well." Nothing had never seen an actual faerie before, so wrapped up in washing away his past scars he hadn't given himself over completely to the wonder of his surroundings.

"If either of you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Though, I believe we have food suited more for little boys than stone-tasting honey cakes."

Rhindeer

Ignoring Ishtaq proved more difficult than Avery had anticipated, and needless to say he didn't get in much praying as she kept trying to steal more of his offering. He was swatting her away for what felt like the fiftieth time when Ishtaq looked beyond him and squeaked, and Avery turned just in time to hear the boy speak.

For a few seconds, he was more focused on his looks rather than what he said.

"Uh...what?" Avery blinked several times and just stared at the boy, blue eyes wide as they roamed over him. More specifically, his ears...if those were ears. This boy had fish fins growing out of his head. Well then. Now he'd seen everything. Just a few days ago and he'd lain with a man that had a tail, so something was bound to come around and one-up that eventually.

This took the cake.

Speaking of cake, now this kid wanted his cake! That snapped him right out of his shocked staring.

Avery snatched it up off the boulder, nearly grabbing onto Ishtaq in the process as she had been struggling to break off another piece, and looked up at the boy in horror. "This is an offering to Sanctuary," he exclaimed, aghast that anyone would even suggest eating an offering that wasn't for them. "It's for the spirits and fae, not breakfast." Ishtaq flitted around his head while he spoke, making little sounds of protest and reaching her little hands out toward the cake he held. He waved her off like a gnat.

"Don't go around eating people's offerings! If you're hungry, I'm sure some healer could--" He cut off with a gasp and jumped when another voice cut in, and then looked behind him since there was no one but the boy in front of him. When his eyes landed on the priest, he relaxed. He'd seen that man a lot here, if only in passing. Woman? What wo--oh, Ishtaq? She was hardly a woman, and if that's why the kid was stuttering, that was kind of sad--his mouth wasn't moving?!

The priest was talking again, or he assumed he was talking, but his mouth wasn't moving. Avery squinted. Er, maybe he was a ventriloquist? But nope, not even the slightest hint of movement. Blinking, Avery gave the area another look-over, but they were alone.

Very, very strange.

Even stranger since the priest looked like he could be his brother, though he'd never noticed that from a distance.

Spooky.

"Oh, uh...nice to meet you too," Avery finally said, setting the honey cake back on the rock and dusting his hands together to brush off the crumbs. "I guess it is kind of strange, I've been coming here a while and I've seen you before and--pardon my asking but this is going to bug me until I know but, ah...how are you speaking?"

Hopefully it wasn't rude to ask, but gosh it was going to drive him crazy!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Inaka flinched under Avery's gaze, it made him feel more uncomfortable and nervous! Shifting his feet he sighed almost inaudibly as he felt even more hungry! "I-It's not that sir- Um..." He couldn't find the right words as he recoiled in pain. "I'm Just a little hungry that's all- I've been traveling for days now and-" Suddenly another voice rang out softly causing Inaka to eep and jump in a startled fashion, forcing his angelic wings to flourish as he felt MORE scared. What would they think of him now? A fish demon and angel combo wasn't exactly on today's menu of normal after all... The thought of food from this- man, Nothing was it? Made the young fish boy's heart skip a beat. "R-Really?" He asked meek though his courage began to rise at the prospect to food and a place to rest, forgetting about his wings momentarily he went up to Nothing as cautiously as possible before stopping in front of him purple eyes wide as his fin-like ears were flat against him in a begging manner. "W-Would you really give me food Sir?" He asked almost pleading. Anything sounded good at the moment....

Tags: