Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tide-timed touch (Juno!)

Started by Anonymous, December 18, 2008, 09:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There was once a girl, a daughter of a king, who went out under hopeful skies and danced through the streets. She smiled and laughed all the way down to the river, with starlight lighting her path. The townspeople smiled at her, though some leered- not everyone can love a princess- but she paid them no heed and danced her way through the night.

There came a time where she found the crossroads, and she leapt up on the low wall of the gate that lead out of her kingdom, and found herself facing a stranger that barred her path as she balanced between which road to take.

"Are you such a light that you'd look down on us all?" Said the stranger- it might have been a woman, but the voice was too old and gravelly to tell gender anymore.

And she frowned, confused by the question because no one had questioned her before. And then she questioned herself.

"You keep your world in a glass ball, aren't you afraid of it breaking?"

She hadn't been before.

She tipped and lost her balance- or maybe the world had lost its balance of her.

And the stranger had long gone, to another crossroads far away, leaving the broken glass on the side of the road.

---------------------------------------

Kitten jumped as something glassy fell off a mantelpiece that had never been there before.

Sleepy eyes looked over the arm of the chesterfield, sizing up the broken glass and the mantelpiece in one long look. It wasn't unnatural for things to randomly appear in his room- it was, afterall, in Kitty's mind and Kitty didn't have the most stable mind. Not at all. Just.. it was usually something subtle- like the scratching post from last year, and the ball of red yarn from several years ago. Usually the room itself wasn't modified, though it had taken on a strange asymetrical shape in comparison to the square room he'd first lived in, when Kitty was born.

Before that...

Well, even if Kitten COULD remember, it wouldn't do him any good with his current situation- stuck in Kitty's mind.

Glass and mantelpiece analyzed, he closed his eyes and swiveled his head back into the relaxed state of his tiny body, fur fluffing up and a contented, huffed "Brrt!" being the only sounds he made as listened. The sound of the ocean rippling across the pebbles sounded a bit like rain, if you could stretch the imagination, and water was okay stuff so long as it wasn't getting his highness, Kitten, wet.

Kitty herself was watching the tide come in, the crescent moon making a path of light across the sea- and that lit up the night very very well for her. She could almost see better now that she could in the day, and she liked the water. The ocean in particular. The ocean was one of the few things that could move enough to keep her attention for a prolonged period of time. It wasn't that she was any kind of sea-creature, some water horse dredged up from the deep to prey on humans- though many had actually saved humans.

She sat on the sea wall that had been built to protect the road, her legs dangling and in constant motion. She never could keep still. Beside her was a small mound of colourful, wave-worn glass- forgotten for the moment. She wore a tunic that had been made by the stitchmaster's apprentice, as apparent by the mishappen fit and the undyed practice fabric. A bit of string belted it around her waist, and she seemed somehow smaller in the large garment. It went down to her knees, and though it was hemmed, frays were beginning to show. Kitty wasn't easy on her clothes. Or her skin, as the scabs on her shins and arms and knees showed.

It was a little brisk out, but apparently Kitty didn't really feel it. And even though the ocean could hold her focus for a long time, it couldn't forever. She started looking up the beach, mischievous eyes looking out under unbrushed bangs- the rest of her hair gathered in a sloppy ponytail. She curled her bare toes up and pulled them underneath her, lifting herself into a standing position. And only now, as the wind that's always by the water dripped the lower part of the shirt away from her thigh, you could see the frayed denim shorts underneath. She balanced her way down the beach ontop of the wall, leaving her pile of beach-glass behind and with the moon-path seemingly following her.

Anonymous

The normally faint sound of clopping hooves against dirt seemed rather noisy now to Ganon, he and his horse seemingly being the only living creatures to walk this particular section of road at night. It seemed a forever replaying memory to him, though one of the few he could recall in truth, where he and the ebony mare traveled along rugged paths far from civilization in their never-ending search for the vampire's ship. Too conveniently, though, he could not recall the name of said ship, nor ever being at sea in all his life; all he knew was that the ship was his, he needed it back and he would do everything in his power to get it.

The distant sound of water lapping a shore drew his attention, eyes widening in his excitement that the ocean might be so near. Hastily he nudged his mare, Delphine, into an easy canter as he guided her along the road, following the sounds of water. Soon they reached a bend in the road and Ganon halted his horse as he listened to the sound of water against rock, comforted as he settled himself into the saddle. Gently he urged his horse forward, asking her to go through the woods that separated the road from the beach and when they hit the sand, pulled her up again. In silence, he let his gaze rove across the expanse of sea before him, a grin coming involuntarily as he breathed in the heavy scent of salt.

Dismounting, he took up the reins in his hand as he led the mare down the beach, his eyes still locked on the moonlight-bathed water. His steps were heavy as he made his way through the sand, but suddenly his attention was taken from the water as he noticed a young girl making her way towards it. He allowed his eyes to follow her for a moment, wondering if she really was headed for the water, before he slung the reins back over the mare's neck and dashed across the sand towards her.

"Miss! Young lady! Might I have a word with you? You look of the sort that might be interested in the sea as I am." His speech was hurried in his eagerness for answers and he fell into step with the girl when he finally reached her. Eyes expressing a mixture of excitement and curiosity, his head angled slightly to the side as he awaited the girls response.

To Ganon there was never a time for rest in his search, his eyes always keen for a person that might hear him out at the very least. He liked company, liked easy targets even better, and thought that little girls like this one might be the easiest of all to sway into letting him feed without a fuss if they could not help him with his ultimate goal in life.

ooc: I apologize for the time it took me to post and the short length. I've been busy, and still will be for a few days, with family members staying over.

Anonymous

The dark-tanned girl jumped off the wall, seemingly oblivious to the man that was just jumping off his horse, and started walking away from him, down the beach. There was something nagging in the corner of her mind, but like anything that nags, she just ignored it. Happily gazing past the winking stars, arms swinging loosely by her sides, barefoot, she trod on.

Wait, did he just call her a lady?

She stopped and turned, arms out to her sides in some odd form of balance she looked at the man that was running towards her. Some poor, derelict instinct in her told her to run, but she didn't really use instincts anymore. Instead she looked past him, to his horse. A moment later, as he caught up, she remembered to look at him, too.

"I like the sea, it's wet!"

Kitten fluffed up again, disturbed by the shouting. At least it sounded like shouting to HIM. His ears woke up long enough to hear Kitty state the absolute OBVIOUS before he hunkered down further into the crack between the cushion and the back of the chair. Perhaps he still could get a good night's sleep, though that was unlikely. He was a CAT, after all, and all he got were catnaps. Ears laid back against his head in an attempt to drown out the conversation.

She kept looking up at the man, although, after a moment, she began rocking back and forth on her feet.

((ack, you call yours short?!))

Anonymous

Ganon was a bit disappointed with her only enthusiasm for the sea being, plainly, that it was "wet". He tried not to frown but frown he did. Water, and the sea especially, was what he lived for! It was not just wet but an amazing, endless paradise for him. Oh, how he longed for his ship! He just had to tell this girl that she was dearly mistaken!

"Oh, but it isn't just wet! The sea is majestic! It's pure, constant, and it offers so much to the world!" he exclaimed, the urge to grab her by the shoulders almost overpowering. The possibilities of the situation, though, he did not ignore in the least. He wanted to be careful with what he did and said, hoping that the girl might take a liking to him and make it easier to feed off of her. To make himself look a bit more approachable and friendly, Ganon softened his face and gave a twitch of a smile to show that he wasn't mad, just very enthusiastic about his feelings for the great bodies of water.

"You seem like a nice person, though, do you live around here?" he asked, his vague, round-about way of finding out whether she was alone or not.

ooc: haha I meant compared to your opening! xD

Anonymous

She looked past him at the sea as it swept the stones into itself with a sound like heavy rain on tin. For a long moment she watched the moon's reflected light dance on the waves, and the ocean meet the horizon a long, long ways away. After that moment, she looked away, but still not at him. Instead she looked up the beach, past him. To his horse.

"It seethes. It is never still, it is a whole new world not only on the ocean bed, but in the skies of water. The floor is also a science in mapping by itself, and the currents down their are far stronger than our puny air currents on land."

She said all this without pause, speaking clearly and enunciating well. She had been raised on a coast- not this one, and she was rather fond of the water. She knew a lot about it, at any rate. After she spoke, it appeared that she listened again, or at least remembered the question he had asked her.

"No, I'm not from around here. I just pass through. I'm older than I look, y'know?"

Well, technically she might be younger than she looked, but horses judge age differently. Right now, she was the equivalent to a human's 25.

"What's her name?"

She was referring to his horse. And she didn't answer his question completely. She didn't agree with him that she was nice. Of course, with her, that might not been anything.

Anonymous

Ganon immediately noticed the girl's disinterest in him, a slight downward curve forming on his lips. He was used to most aspects of his life being simple, his prey easy to lure. This girl was a bit different, somehow off, and it irked him when she started talking about the sea again. Only this time he softened a bit when he heard just what she was saying, impressed that her knowledge of the sea was beyond it being "wet".

Still, she seemed a bit distant, thinking of other things and never focusing on him. She looked past him to his constant companion and, even though she was still talking and answering his question, it bothered him that his horse held her interest and not him instead. He wondered, for a brief moment, if she had a soft side for animals like he knew some people had. His own interest in the creatures of the world stopped with Delphine, the bond with her being the only bond with an animal he ever intended to keep.

He was comfortable talking about his mare, though, the thought of her calming his nerves as he watched the girl with a wary glint in his eye, and he was also relieved that she'd revealed the foreign state of her presence. "Her? Her name is Delphine. She's a very nice horse, very faithful. She is my one true friend, I suppose, the only one who can tolerate my presence for as long as she has," he explained, flashing her a toothy grin.

ooc: *pulls at hair* My apologies for the time gap. >_<

Anonymous

She listened to his reply, still looking at the horse. Only after he finished did her gaze return to his eyes. Her own brown eyes glittered as they reflected the moonlight off the sea.

"You must be a good person, to have such a loyal companion."

Wind pulled at her hair and clothing, and goosebumps raised on her arms for only a moment, disappearing in the next. She frowned then, as if an unpleasant thought had occurred to her, or Kitten had just yelled out some obscene comment.

Actually, what had really happened was... Kitten had addressed his furry butt, his voice muffled as it caught on the dregs of sleep and fur-mufflers, and said, with his usual Kitten charm: "He smells weird."

Of course, Kitty had to smell. So she did. Except that she didn't really smell anything weird about him. He smelt like a vampire. So?

"Kitten says you smell weird. But I don't think so."

Her mouth turned up at the corner and a mischievous look slid into her eyes.

"So... do you like the sea?"

((blehhh it suxxxx iSorry))

Anonymous

Ganon tilted his head to the side at her comment, openly expressing his confusion. "I just take care of her, I don't really like anything else enough to tolerate it for long, besides her, but I'm quite sure I have my share of enemies." He stopped talking when he noticed the strange look on her face and he was about to ask if something was bothering her when she suddenly said that he 'smelled weird'. No, she'd said Kitten had said that but he leaned to the side to look behind her thinking he'd missed noticing another person nearby.

"Do you carry a kitten around with you?" he asked, still not catching on to the context she'd used the word in. His attention on the matter was immediately diverted when she mentioned the sea, however, inquiring about what it meant to him. For a moment he was lost in reflection, happy thoughts, but he knew that if he wanted to feed off of her he would have to gain her favor.

"I do like the sea, actually. It is my life, I live to be near to it but I have also lost something so dear to me because of it and therefore I also hate the sea for what it has done to me; it stripped my soul not so long ago and took what was most precious to me." He paused for a moment, sighing as he thought about the ship he loved so much but simply could not recall any vital details about. "But Delphine keeps me company," he confessed. "If she is with me all will be well until I find my beloved."

Anonymous

"Oh, everyone has a Kitten, only I don't think they're all called Kitten, that'd be really confusing. Kitten lives up here," She tapped her head with a forefinger, smiling widely.

"He's kinda annoying and wants to take over the world but he can't cause there's no door. Anyway..."

She trailed off as he spoke about the sea, watching his face change expressions as he reminisced. Then, like a small porpoise surfacing in a tumultuous sea, a thought surfaced in the stormy waves of thoughts and senses that vied for attention in her mind. She tended to treat it like background noise, that sea. Much like when one lives by the sea.. the first night the sound of the waves may keep them awake, but after.. they either don't hear them or it acts like a lullaby.

Well she was looking for something...

Her brow furrowed as an idea formed an idea in her mind.

"What did you lose? I've lost something too... Maybe we can look together?"

She smiled up brightly at the man, dark eyes full of energy as she began to sway from side to side again.

Anonymous

Ganon smiled as he reflected back on what she'd said, thinking of how it would be having someone always with him, like this girl had Kitten, but it took him a moment to realize that he truly did have that sort of relationship with Delphine, who he knew he would be lost without. Looking at her, he had trouble naming the emotions she expressed, though he felt that she might have something to say to him. When she did speak he was a bit surprised at the offer to help him, to search alongside her. Nobody he'd ever met had offered to help him on his never-ending quest and, just for a moment, he thought of this girl as a possible ally instead of a meal. Perhaps they could be of use to each other after all.

"Why, I would be delighted, miss," he answered, giving the softest grin he could without showing too much of his fangs. "It gets lonely sometimes, just being with my horse... Anyway, I've been looking for my dear ol' ship. She's a beauty, I must confess, but I haven't seen her since I lost her and I sadly cannot recall where I ever did last see her. Mostly I've been going from town to town asking if anyone's heard of what's become of her, but I've had little results thus far. What about you, though? What did you lose?"

ooc: *bows obediently* Dx So late!

Anonymous

She watched as he looked to his horse in the way she's seen people do only a few times before. Like their horses were more than mere vehicles. Like they were the the understanding friends that everyone needs, though they may deny such feelings. The eyes of horses were the biggest among mammals- bigger even than whales. Big eyes to show such strong emotions in their depths. It made her look at the other horse and she almost thought she could touch the connection these two had. Then the wind blew her hair into her face. She found that that was a lot more annoying than when she was in her horse shape. It got all in her eyes, the tips curling towards them with intent. She liked her horse shape better for its head and its bigness. It had a head that could stick its nose into anything.

"Well, I'll at least be able to keep up with Delphine."

Ah.. what was she looking for. A hand fished around one of the crude pockets of the oversized shirt that made a dress on her. When it was seen again, a transparent, tiny chipped fragment of what looked like glass fell over in its palm. It looked like glass, but it caught the light of the moon and the movement of the sea in a way that glass shouldn't. Too much reflected. Like a teardrop in a moment of silence.

"You know when people say 'you've lost your marbles'? Well... I think I did. Only these weren't the conventional ones you play games with. I think they had parts of my memories in them. And I don't remember how many I had. And sometimes they come back in dreams, like ghosts. Sometimes when I wake up, they're still there.. but often, not so much."

She squinted up at him, trying to see his eyes in the shade of his silhouette against the moon.

"Do you remember her name? I don't remember their names..."

((<333))