Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Making your way today takes everything ya got!

Started by Anonymous, July 11, 2011, 11:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Changing was getting so easy again. He hadn't changed forms this many times in such a short amount of time in forever, but he was sort of enjoying it. Well not sort of, he really was enjoying it. He couldn't remember the last time he had this much fun, and had changed this many times...for his own amusement. Usually it was out of necessity that he done this...but now it was just because he could. There was nothing more freeing, more liberating than that, in his mind.

He barely paid attention to where she was as he zipped away as quick as could be. This was what was fun, this was what was great really! She was behind him he assumed, or perhaps a bit above him...but that became clear when a wing brushed against him. At this speed it had knocked him off his balance, but he quickly recovered and let out a small, shrill noise. Humph! She could have just flown in front of him and smacked his beak with a tail feather. That would have been acceptable.

He turned about to go and find her, only to see she had headed for an oak tree. Hm, what form would she take now? Squirrel perhaps? Chipmunk? Badger? The possibilities were endless, and as he came zipping over, the change was apparent. A human. Back to her old self then! She waved at him and he came rushing in, quickly transforming back into his human self as he landed upon the branch beside her. "Now that was good fun!" He exclaimed as he turned to look at her, grinning madly. Oh he had enjoyed that quite a bit!

artzydancer234

"Wasn't it though?" Keeran answered, smiling. It wasn't often you got to change for fun. Or change so quickly. The best part was though that it had been for fun. No dire situation, no running away or fighting someone. No almost being captured or hunted down because someone thought that you'd look good on their wall. This had been simple, pure, crazy fun. Her system was still in overload as it accepted everything her body had just experienced but all she could really do was smile.

"I hope I didn't knock you too badly on the way down." She said, swinging her legs back and forth while holding onto the branch. "I don't think I did but I might be wrong." Keeran hinted, a small smirk replacing her smile. Oh yes, she knew she had hit him, she hadn't meant to hit him hard but she had hit him. She had watched him teeter in the air before righting himself. She just really wanted to see his reaction.

Anonymous

To be free and have naught a care in the world. The life of a shapeshifter, and the life of a bard, all summed up nicely and put into one pretty little package. However if one was talking about pretty little packages...Ode's eyes glanced over to the young woman who sat beside him on the tree branch.

"No no, I'm quite fine. Takes more than a little smack across the back to hurt me." True it may have knocked the wind out of him, messed up his flight a bit and dizzied him for a few seconds, but playing tag as birds wasn't really the smartest plan to begin with, so he could forgive her. Plus she was cute so...he had to forgive her because of that as well. "All of this has got me right back to being thirsty again. What say we head back to the Tiger Cub and get ourselves some more drinks hm? Maybe see where the night wants us to go afterwards." A bold thing to put forward, but Ode was a man of many things, and good company was hard to find...great company was harder...and company that was pretty much yourself was the hardest.

artzydancer234

"That sounds like a wonderful idea." She answered, smiling. The day had gone quite well, and even though they had only known each other for a short time she was perfectly comfortable. It might have been the fact that he was a shifter. They weren't very common after all, and it wasn't something you really told a lot of people about. Shifters in general were usually pretty nice people. Not to mention he was quite the sight for sore eyes. The though brought a slight blush to her cheeks.

"Well uh, let's get going then." Keeran added, jumping out of the tree. "Are you coming?" she called up to him, beginning to walk away and back toward the Tiger Cub tavern. "Your not going to let me beat you back, are you?" She challenged, disappearing in the direction of the tavern.

Anonymous

There was however the question of...did she know? He was a shapeshifter, and he was a bard. He wasn't looking for love, he wasn't looking for a long term thing, probably only as long as he was in the city. He wasn't one for such a thing, he had to travel, he had to keep on moving, the wanderlust in his blood overpowered most other feelings as it was more primal than anything. It was an almost impossible subject to broach, now that he thought about it. He wasn't a person to just...break people's hearts after all. This presented an interesting dilemma that he'd have to try and carefully approach. He didn't expect that he'd have a rather wild night with this girl, but if it went that way...he'd want her to be prepared.

"Marvellous idea." He slipped off the tree branch gracefully and landed behind her, smirking as she challenged him again. "Not on your life I'm not." Oh she was good, but he...was something else. He spun into a jump, his whole body transforming quickly into a Swift once more, and with a few flaps of his wings was off with a cry. It was the fastest way to travel really, and the easiest. He wouldn't have a need for avoidances after all, so long as he stayed a couple feet above the height of most people.

The game was on once more it seemed.

artzydancer234

With a laugh and a jump Keeran was feathered and air born, her falcon form catching up just as they reached the Tiger Cub Tavern again. Settling on a box she was human again in just a second.  Human, most humans would find someone they liked and settle down to see if there was more. That defiantly wasn't going to happen here. She liked him, that was a given, but they were both travelers. He was probably interested in a one night only. She hopefully wanted to settle down some day in the future, not next month or next year but sometime in the future. But like him she had done the same in the past, leaving people that could have been where they had been. If they weren't willing to travel with her then she had no reason to settle down and play house with them. Of course though, it was different this time. They were both travelers, she never set a real course for herself. She didn't know if he had any plans of where to go next but it would be better than anything she would have done usually.

Her next destination would have been picked out with a map pinned to a wall and a dart. So that was it, she would ask him. Before anything happened tonight. Hopefully. She would ask him over a tankard of their drinks of choice later in the night she decided. "Let's get something to drink, shall we?" She asked with a smile, heading into the tavern and reassuming her surprisingly empty bar stool as she waited for him to join her.

Anonymous

It was a tie, or looked like a tie. I mean really he won because he had been behind her but that wasn't something he'd gloat about. That wasn't who he was. Well it was a little bit, but he never bragged to the person who he beat! That was just poor sportsmanship after all! Something that he most assuredly was not! Not old Ode, troubadour of greatness.

Ahem, that was boasting wasn't it?

"I was thinking the same thing." The bard said after he had touched down and returned back to his charming human form. He stretched for a moment, getting the little bit of kinks out from his newly formed bones. Ah, that was much better indeed wasn't it? Sometimes it was just easier to have hands and feet and legs and arms. Much...much easier actually.

He followed after her into the tavern and took up a spot beside her on his stool, rather glad to see it was still there. The drinks however, were not. That was to be expected. "Y'still owe me for the last ones." The bar keeper glared at the two of them, and Ode just smiled sheepishly as he took out some coins and slid them toward the man. "Ahm, sorry about that...had something to take care of reaaaaal fast. Never happen again, I promise!" The bartender took the money at least and nodded ever so slightly. One couldn't even be sure if he believed them, but Ode didn't really care. "Two more now please." And they were both rewarded thankfully with two mugs of ale. Ode took one up and looked to his new friend. "To the fowls of the sky, the fish of the sea, the beasts of burden and the creatures of the forests, to all that we can become."

artzydancer234

Keeran smiled, picking up her mug. "And to all that we can become." She echoed, taking a sip of the ale. It was warm as it slid down her throat and she enjoyed the flavor. She usually didn't let herself drink. She was quite a lightweight and she would be the first to admit it. The drink was a nice treat though. Plus how could she decline the drink that was already paid for?

"Thank you for the drink Ode." She said, taking another sip before setting the mug down. "So where are you planning on traveling next?" She asked, propping up her arm to hold up her head as she leaned on the bar. "I mean, after you finish perusing this town for its tales to add to your library that is." She added.

Anonymous

Now this was what it was about wasn't it? This is what people dreamed about! Some people. He did. He dreamt about finding another shape shifter and being able to enjoy a nice mug of ale with them, and then perhaps take them back to a room for some fun. It actually sort of worried him in some small way. They were both shifters so...how exactly was this going to work? Oh this raised too many questions! Maybe he was just over thinking it...which was probably it! He decided to let that go now.

"Well thank you for the inspiration and the excellent race." That had probably been the most fun, the race was...absolutely exhilarating really. It had felt really good to be alive again, to feel that alive at least. "Travelling plans? Oh you want to know how I travel?" He laughed as he reached into his pocket and took out a few small silver coins, and one gold coin. "I throw this into the air, and whichever the road the gold coin lands closest to I'll go down." He put the money away and chuckled. "Why? You thinking we could have a...business and pleasure relationship going?" Both were important after all!

artzydancer234

A blush adorned her face as she took another sip of her drink before answering. "Maybe, personally I was shooting for the more business side of things but if you have pleasure in mind then I think you might need to persuade me tonight." She teased with a wink. Maybe this could work out, if his reaction was anything to tell by at least. He hadn't shot down the idea; actually he had brought it up himself, technically speaking of course. He was probably more interested in the pleasure side of things, but that could be dealt with later if need be. Either way joining up for now seemed like a good solution, at least to her. She would have to wait to really see how he felt about it.

"I like your method of choosing your next destination better than mine anyway; I usually put up a map and throw a dart blindfolded." Keeran explained. "I've ended up in some pretty weird places because of that method. Yours seems a lot more sensible then mine." She continued, taking another sip of her ale before setting the mug down again.

Anonymous

Good, a blush was good, in fact it was great actually! It meant that she still had a lot of decency and modesty. It was different, considering that he was very shameless. He had some, but he wasn't huge into modesty. There was no point of it, because to him...he really didn't have an actual form. It wasn't him who was naked then. It also helped that he was able to make it so he had nothing to be embarrassed about! Not yet anyway. "Persuade? Well I'm sure I can manage that." Persuading her wouldn't be incredibly boring, it was always a challenge to approach, and it was always fun. Win or lose, it would be really fun at least!

"That's not a bad way to do it, but at least my way will always lead me down a road." That was what counted. He'd always go down a road and go toward a new city. That was truly what was important in the end, because he'd go to a place that would have a bar, and would have a warm place for him to sleep. Hopefully. His drink was almost forgotten as he just leaned against the bar, watching her with a smile. "So what are the extent of your transformation abilities? Do you have to have seen something to turn into it, or can you just...imagine it and become it?"

artzydancer234

Despite her wishes her blush stayed on her cheeks at his mention of persuading her, a shy smile joining it as she shifted and sat now with her hands in her lap. "A very good point." She managed about his methods of deciding his next destination. And he was right, at least he always ended up on a road of some sort unlike her on many occasions she was sure. It was nice to get off the roads without a doubt but it was kind of hard to find the place your dart might have lead you to while in the middle of a forest with trees that looked exactly the same.

"I wish it was as simple as just seeing or imagining something to be able to change into it." Keeran stated with a sigh. "I'm young, in human and shifters terms. Honestly the only way I can get forms right now is to touch the animal and absorb the DNA from skin contact. If it's something small I can just look at it and change but anything the size of or larger than a dog I need to actually touch to get enough information to actually transform. I mean, I'm working on it, but it's hard." She explained.  "I'm currently working on inanimate objects though. Ones with moving pieces of course, like a clock. I don't want to kill myself after all, but still inanimate objects all the less." She described with an air of excitement.

It had been accidental after all, trying to turn into an inanimate object. She was 16 when she had first figured it out, hiding from the law not far from here, her choices were get sent to jail for stealing a bag or stay hidden. So she had hidden in the clockmakers shop, and with a brilliant stroke of genius, had shifted into a grandfather clock. They never suspected, she had her bag, and a new form of sorts, everyone won. Even the lady whose she had stolen, because then she had a reason to buy the new bag she had been ogling all morning. The memory made her smile. "And what about you? what are your specifications for transformation? Touch, sight, smell, imagine?" She asked, leaning against the bar again with an elbow up on it.

Anonymous

"Those are of course the only ones that I make." He told her with a charming little grin. It wasn't always like that, sometimes he might have been a little tipsy and the points he could make were...not always good ones. BUT! When you were drunk you didn't think they were bad so...always good points! Yes! That was a very good way to look at it.

While he didn't know what DNA was, he did know what it meant when she said that she had to touch something to take it's form. Aww, she was really young still wasn't she?! That was adorable. If of course age meant a whole lot to shape shifters. It was all mentality at that point, their physical forms were whatever they wanted to be. He really hadn't tried to change into many...inanimate things really. He was surprised that she had! Granted it was funny to scare people when a rock jumped at them, or a tree fell in front of them for no reason.

Ahhh, those were good times.

"Well, for me it's whatever I imagine. It used to be a bit more difficult, but it's gotten a lot easier over time. That'll happen for you too." Could he teach her? He really didn't think that he could. It was something that he just knew, and he couldn't...pass that on. Well he might be able to, but he'd have to think about it very carefully. Really he just wanted to drink and chat and travel, he didn't really want to...be a teacher. He liked being a bard.

artzydancer234

"I'm excited for when the day finally comes where I can do that. I mean, it'll be hard work, but I want to learn as much as I can by myself. That's part of the adventure after all. Right now it's difficult, because I'm so young, but like you said, it'll get easier over time." Keeran answered.

"My dad wasn't much of a shifter unfortunately; he didn't really embrace it so I and my brother kind of had to teach ourselves the basics. We're lucky our mom took it all in stride, he never told her what he really was and it scared her to death when she watched me and Brandon playing with the dogs as dogs. She encouraged us though, she didn't know anything about it but she was a lot more supportive then our dad. Without her I wouldn't be here today." Keeran reminisced with smile and a sad look in her eyes.  It wasn't a painful topic, she just really missed not being able to grow up with her family.

"So when did you decide to be a bard? Or how?" Keeran asked, changing the topic. "I mean, usually one isn't just walking down the street and just decide to become a bard for the rest of their lives." She exaggerated, "So what lead you to become a bard?" she inquired.

Anonymous

She was lucky wasn't she? She actually had parents. He was just...popped out into this world. It had been forever disconcerting and really he almost wished he did have parents in the traditional sense. However he got along fine without them, and despite having no guidance still grew up to be a rather respectable person. Sure his morality was fast and loose at times, but no one ever got really hurt! He wasn't the best role model in the world, but he was still pretty good. At least that's what he thought.

He did have to wonder where her parents, her family that is, had gone...But he was sure that might be a very sensitive topic and decided not to really say anything about it. The look in her eyes spoke volumes, so he really was sure that he shouldn't say anything about it. It still must have been nice to have all that love and familiarity though...

"Actually it kind of is how I got started. I needed some way to make money one day, can't remember why...might have been a pretty lady wanted a drink and I wanted to buy it for her..." He spaced out for a moment as he thought about that, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Ahem. So I started to tell stories. I just made them up...and it earned me a nice tidy sum of copper and silver. I decided to buy an instrument instead of using it on the girl, and ever since then I've been touring around, playing the lute and telling stories for people." It wasn't the best story to tell around young company, but most people appreciated the sentiment of it all. It boiled down to the fact he became a bard because of a pretty lady and his libido but oh well! People took from it what they wanted.

artzydancer234

"That's cool, better than how I got started." Keeran answered. Getting lost from your parents at such a young age wasn't fun, and joining a gypsy caravan wasn't the greatest place to go either but it had gotten her where she was, safe and sound. Until she got kicked out that was.

"Have you ever thought of doing anything else?" Keeran asked. "I mean, not forever but just at any time thought that another job would be fun do to for a while?" She couldn't help it, she was curious. Plus they were getting to know each other, weren't they?

Anonymous

"Really? Because I wanted to bed a girl. Yours must be really bad." But he noticed that she didn't tell him. How interesting indeed! He'd get the story from her eventually, because he was sure that it wouldn't be as bad as his own. Still he'd have to get that story out of her...he wanted to know quite a bit about her actually. Not surprising, he really hadn't met many shape shifters and he would definitely want to hear her story. She was the child of a shapeshifter, maybe even two...so really...that was new to him!

"I've tried different jobs before. Tried to be a baker, tried to be a smith, even tried to be a soldier. They were so boring...and they wanted me up at sunrise as a soldier! And they expected me to kill people! No thank you. I like people, I like talking to them, and I like how I can set my own hours." That was the important part. None of this...'up at sunrise' nonsense that they wanted at other places. "Being a bard is where I'm supposed to be I think. I'm pretty darn good at it really, and it's incredibly fun." Ode took up his drink and enjoyed a sip from it. This was nice really...though wasn't he supposed to try and persuade her? "What about yourself though? Do you ever feel like entertaining has reached it's full potential for you?"

artzydancer234

She couldn't help but laugh at his comment of waking up at sunrise. "Those are some rather interesting jobs; I know I couldn't be a soldier though." Keeran commented. A baker, a smith, and a soldier. Those were three pretty different life styles for sure. Bakers lead pretty quiet lives, smiths more exciting lives, soldiers maybe the most exciting if not deadliest of them all. None of them were as thrilling and exciting as being a roaming artist of any sort. Making your own hours was the best though; she had no argument about that.

"I don't think so, I mean entertaining is all I've ever really remembered. I can just feel it in my blood, like this is what I'm supposed to do, at least for now. I mean, my parents were farmers but I didn't really grow up at home for very long." Keeran explained. Maybe it would be easier to just tell him the full story. It was better than sidestepping around it like she had so far. So with a sigh she spoke again. "Would you like to just here the full story? I think it'll make more sense than the little clues I keep dropping here and there."

Anonymous

"We shape shifters and bards don't have the discipline for such things. It's probably because we're not used to such...restrictions." Those were for people who could only take on one form. They were shapeshifters, those who could slip into a whole other form at a whim. No, it was definitely not something that a lot of changelings wanted to be a part of. Especially someone like Ode, who was a lot of 'make love, not war, and then make more love.' It wasn't always the most exciting thing in the world, but he was alive, and he was very much happy.

"Farmers, oh man, I could understand why you'd want to get away from that." Not only was incredibly boring, but menial labour was something that humans thought a shapeshifter would be good at. Sure they could turn into something with enough muscles that the work wouldn't even be noticed, but that wasn't the point. They weren't slaves, they weren't animals, they were people, with feelings and thoughts! "Y'know," Ode lifted his drink to his lips and took a gulp. "I think that's a great idea." He grinned as he set the mug down. "Finally I get to know the mysterious origins!"

artzydancer234

"My origins aren't quite that mysterious, promise." Keeran said, taking a sip of her drink before shifting in her seat. "Well, like I said, my dad kind of neglected the fact that he was a shape shifter. He was only 136 or so when he met my mom and didn't tell her when they got married. So my dad was about 140 when they had my brother and I was born 2 years after that. Well one morning my mom woke up and noticed that, like I said before, Brandon and I were playing with our dogs, as dogs. Brandon was 7, I was almost 5 and was just copying my big brother, my idol. Well she was not happy at first but grew to except it pretty quickly thank goodness, and even encouraged us to learn new forms, somehow bringing home all sorta of strange animals and taking us to traveling shows to see the more exotic animals. She never did quite forgive my dad from hiding that from her. It's normally something you tell a person before you get married." Keeran commented with a sigh before continuing.

"So fast forward a few years, I'm ten and in a girly girl dress phase. Lots of pink and glitter, it was disgusting. Anyway, we lived on the outside of town, and little to our families' knowledge the village children had fallen asleep without putting out their fire. The whole village caught on fire and we woke up to my parents telling us to run and they would find us later. So I did as told and ran. Except I ran the completely opposite way that everyone else had run away in. I got extremely hopelessly lost pretty quickly. I had no sense of direction when I was younger and still don't have much of one." She explained, taking another sip of her drink before continuing.

"I ended up joining a traveling caravan, mostly consisting of gypsies, but the caravan also doubled as a traveling show. So I earned my keep, I learned to sing and dance and tell stories and anything else they needed me to do really. I never told them of my talent though. After I joined they threw out an old man that they learned was a shifter and I had nowhere to go, I had no idea where my family was. So I kept my transformations a secret, for six years. Soon they had me in charge of the animals, exotic animals. And then they caught me one night. I had gone out, as a wolf and they saw me change. I was sixteen and they threw me out to the wolves, literally. So I've been traveling ever sense. I mean, it's only been two years since then but it feels like so much more." Keeran finished. "So that's about it, my mysterious origins revealed. I hope they meet your standards?" Keeran asked with a flirtatious smirk.