Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Like dust in the wind

Started by Anonymous, October 07, 2009, 01:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The tall dark featured figure known only as Sefu stood on a sand dune in the chill of the night, looking at the full moon without really seeing it. They told him that it had been two months since a group of religious travellers had found him near dead in this part of the desert, with nothing but a pair of swords and a cloth of sorts wrapped around his waist for decency's sake. They told him that it had been a month since he had woken up, and that that had only occured when a child had placed one of the swords in his hand. He remembered that. He remembered everything since, from recovering the ability to walk to discovering that the blades he had kept despite losing everything else were like extensions of his arms, to taking a name that wasn't right, but which would do for the time being.

Someone had told him that he had the build of a Connlaothian, perhaps hoping to access his memories by using words and phrases that might spark something off, but he was dressed in the Essryn style now, although something about him required an edge of individuality. Instead of brightly coloured robes of fine materials, he had made sure that he had two sets of clothing made from lightweight but durable fabric. One set had been made in white, and the other, the one he wore at the moment, was made from charcoal grey material. that colour felt right, although he couldn't say why. It was just like the swords; the rightness was inherently obvious, but the reasons for that rightness lurked just beyond reach of his memory, and when he tried to grab for them they blew away like dust in a sandstorm.

But still, he liked to come out this way every now and again, not that he'd had much again to work with. This was his third visit to the area in the three weeks since his sponsors had realised that he could walk and fight and ride beasts of burden, and he was sure that soon enough someone representing them would come and find him again, staring at the moon as if that could help bring his memories back. Someone always did find him, but this was mainly because he had not yet chosen to hide, he was sure of it. After all, why bother hiding a blank slate? That was all he was, a blank slate with everything to learn about himself apart from the fact that he was a swordsman. That meant little on its own, he wanted to know exactly who he was,why he was here, what had happened. There was no sign of head injury according to his hosts, and he could think of no other reason why his memory might disappear, while his verbal skills, his logic and his muscle memory remained. The clear cold air of the desert at night was at least good for helping him relax, but bereft of his nenories that was small comfort indeed, and his right hand remained firmly on the hilt of his sword. This was a desert, after all. There could be anything out here.

Anonymous

The desert is vast, and even during the sun gentle touch travelling during the cold of night just appeals more. "Kyuuuu. Lets get married!"

"Huh? Did someone have a death wish?" was the response that came from his ranks. A lightly growling yet obviously a woman's voice. Much to everyone laughter.

Kyuu had just recently eaten the Mademoiselle fruit during a terrible tragic mistake and ever since been the subject of their teasing already his muscular and toned body had greatly diminished in preference to more feminine attributes.

Aside from the ruffled and short buzz cut hair the man had a pair of swords at his side that he used often in combat. When he drew them and went to work. well that he could still hold both, was a thing to marvel about. How cruel fate had been for one of his greatest fighter's.

Good thing the berserker still had most of his powers intact. They never bothered to follow up on such a question because they had no desire to awaken his fury. If that vanished it would mean the end of their small group.

their camel's growled as they moved on with haste. The faster they got to the next oasis the better. A shadow in the dune's that was not a plant nor an animal caught Garth's keen eye's. A white man, with grey, loose clothing and the flash of blade's piqued his curiosity more than just slightly.

"Change of course! I saw something interesting." Smacking his animal with the camel whip to increase the pace, scooting across the surface. Steadily approaching this strange wanderer.

Few yards left when he halted the animal. His party following suit with moaning beast's and curious eyes. "Hello stranger. Want a ride? The desert can be rather harsh to travellers that dare thread her on foot."

Anonymous

The point of the blade in his hand was leveled at somebody's neck before Sefu even realised that his space had been intruded upon. He straightened up without thinking, left hand dropping to the hilt of a second sword, and his dark eyes looked at the caravan of people partially surrounding him.

"My name is... I am known as Sefu. Not stranger."

His chosen name meant sword, since it was the only identity he had. As he had mentioned, it was what he was known as rather than what he was named; he had no memories, nothing apart from his swords and his body, the latter of which was almost uncomfortably comfortable with using the the former. Even in an uneven fight he felt that certain odds would allow him an advantage. A bigger enemy simply meant that he had more to hit.

"And the desert it always willing to let a man wise enough to bring water to survive."

He had water, enough to get him about here then let him turn around and get back to Essryn, assuming that nobody tried to commander it. If it was commandeered... Well, there was always water under the sand if you dug hard enough. it tasted like dirt, but it was better than nothing.

"Might I enquire as to who you are, before I sheathe my weapon?"

Anonymous

Grinning with a sort of delayed shock at the blade parked next to his throat. Garth had guessed this man was a fool and the guess had not been to far off. "The name is Garth, and believe me. If we wanted to harm you we would have done so from afar."

Nodding at the large black bow tucked safely onto his camel along with blankets and some gear probably meant to become a tent when combined. "Please sheathe your blade, we are all friends here." This particular situation had already started to escalate beyond mere encounter.

Edward his second man, with Adelan warrior blood running trough his veins spoke up without masking his irritation. "Just curious, how were you planning to find your way or hide should you encounter a sandstorm?"

Next was Kyuu, easily recognized by the red hair, scarred face and pointy ears, yet his bad ass attitude and appearance had become totally ruined by the cursed fruit who had proceeded to mend his scars and even smooth out the usually unbathed and twisted hair. "Two swords eh? and he can seems to be able to them." Slightly nervous laughter from the small crowd.

Growling at them with something akin to agony twisting the effeminate face, experienced fingers embracing the handle's on his twin blade's. "shut up moron's or i will personally find a matching fruit and shove it down your throats." and they did shut up until Rezarth cried Gorilla like he usually did when Kyuu overreacted.

Garth looked down on the stranger. "Where are you headed? we might help you get there faster or something right? Company is always better than running about alone."

Anonymous

His eyes glanced at the bow, and he smiled slightly. Out here in the desert sound carried, and longbows made enough of a noise for him to hear in the second or so before the arrow hit. A second was a long time in warfare, long enough to turn a fatal injury into a non-fatal one, at least. He wouldn't deny that they could have hurt him, but there was little chance of them having killed him.

The sword was slowly removed as he looked around the group, weighing each person up in turn and managing to appraise them within a few seconds. Sefu didn't bother messing around with detailed analysis; while there was no threat he would be genial, and while there was a threat he would be deadly.

"There were no signs of sandstorms for my journey," he said, simply. "I pick my journey times carefully. Had I seen signs of a sandstorm I would have turned back towards Essryn."

The group dynamic seemed to centre around an effeminate looking male who carried two swords, and whom Sefu guessed knew how to use them the same way he knew how to use his.

"I was due to return to the city," he said. "My patrons will be nervous, as they often are when I disappear."

Anonymous

Some of his men laughed nervously as sandstorm's were mentioned by the stranger, a rising build that shuddered throughout their tiny force yet noticeable. For it stopped instantly when sand blew up out of nowhere and instead most of them stared accusingly into their own crowd, paving way for a man who's head and chest was consumed by a giant red cloth wrapped around broad shoulder's and carrying no weapon.

Yet his head held high, leaving next to no doubt that this man here was a magician of sort's. Even Kyuu refrained from speaking up while rubbing sand out of his eye's. The reason they were still alive, yet no always having their health considered within those grandeur plan's. Tresh motioned his camel forward while maintaining his outlandish arrogance.

Using the red cloth to hide his face, Fae ancestry and the color of his extremely pink hair.

With only eyebrows to go after, most assumed it to be white. Especially within the darkness. "As i was about to say. We have a camel or two to spare, if you wish to return at once there is nothing against lending you one until we return to Essryn ourselves. Or you could tag along, not much of a detour but long enough."

Finally within hearing distance, Tresh spoke up.

"If i may interrupt. How long have you been with your peer's? and did they teach you the way's of the sand's?

Anonymous

Something about the arrival of the mage set Sefu's teeth on edge; his patrons had told him Connlaothians routinely killed such people, but they had also told him that things were different in the desert. He was only allowed to kill people who were actively trying to kill him. This person, he guessed a male, was merely talking to him, not proving himself an outright threat. Admittedly there was sand in his eyes, but Sefu merely blinked instead of rubbing his eyes, letting nature do its job.

"I have no peers," he said, clearly. "I have patrons. People who have looked after me in return for my teaching them a few basic sword drills. I think, perhaps, a little journey would be... interesting."

He hadn't developed a fear process since his awakening. His body didn't do fight or flight, it simply, if required, went from normal to fight in the blink of an eye. So while the other members of the group moved away from this man, Sefu was rather intrigued by him.

"And no, they did not teach me desert ways. These are just things that feel right to me."

Anonymous

"So you can predict sandstorm's yet do not know the way's? A strange man you are. Sefu was it?" Tresh did not say his own name in return instead a riderless camel was brought fourth, the saddle still held trace's of it's previous owner in it. Like the gear strapped on it's back and a first rate saddle compared to most of the men.

"This here was the camel of my best friend, His name is Green Leaf Flies With Wind or Leafy for short. Take care of my friend's legacy for him. Or his spirit might return to do you harm."

Garth had been about to give him one of his older one's. They had lost a few during these last adventure's and intended to sell most, Leafy being a finer breed.

Aw well, that's life i guess. His cousin would have said if he was alive. yea That's life. Nodding to himself, rather distracted in memories and deep thought. Kyuu took advantage and soon the caravan had begun moving forward again.

Anonymous

"I did not say I did not know them," Sefu said, with a slight frown. "I said that my patrons did not teach me them."

He had noted that, since he'd woken up. He was very precise about the things he said; lying to other people, intentionally or otherwise, was as good as lying to himself right now, and if he lied to himself then he might never uncover the truth about himself. So he was pretty careful about what came out of his mouth.

"I thank you for the loan of your camel," he added, as he quickly mounted the animal and clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "I am sorry to say that I cannot afford such a fine animal, but I will keep him well. And yes, I am known as Sefu. I am told that it means sword."

It took him a moment to adjust to the swaying movement of the camel, but he soon settled. To move with people he barely knew was a risk, but it was one that he was willing to take. Anything to relieve the boredom was good in his mind.

Anonymous

Satisfied the mage rode on with the small group not thinking too much about Sefu or over thinking it perhaps. Garth was over to discuss the new traveller already quite eager to know what Tresh had learned or was pondering about in addition to learning what he thought. His thoughts were important after all.

This left Sefu open for conversation and the opportunity was met with a lazy man smoking his pipe. His greying hair and mustache revealed a slightly older than his peer's and the way he managed to get close enough to speak with him was by carefully treading the small maze of creatures as they moved along the desert ground.

"Hungry?" He asked kindly. Holding out half a cactus apple cut by his rather short bladed staff

Anonymous

This group was larger than he had thought. Some part of his mind concluded that he probably would have died if he had decided to get violent, but they would have lost some people as well. Odds always worked out in favour of the larger group, eventually, didn't they? It depended how many people there were, he guessed, and how well trained and what they were armed with, and for some reason he thought all these things with out knowing why. He weighed everyone up in terms of how threatening they might be. Right now, nobody here was a threat somebody had offered him an apple. Well, half an apple.

"Thank you," he said, politely, holding out a hand and taking the fruit. He wasn't particularly hungry, but it was good to eat whenever you could get something. Saying no to food was just ridiculous.

Anonymous

Oddly enough the man retreated back to the safety of his peers afterwards revealing that Kyuu had a thing or two on his mind yet obviously quite reluctant to approach, instead sipping water and observing the horizon.

Kyuu's mind was hard at work, nothing seemed to gather and worse was it his body had taken a giant bounce for the worse. He was now at the least twice as weak as he had been, there had to be a way to reverse this process somehow. His chest was throbbing with pain, and every step the camel made shook his core with agony. When worse came to worse it felt like someone had stuck a giant spiked club into his gut, twisting it around every few seconds.

Wiping the sweat from his forehead, he had intended to speak with the stranger but there was nothing on his tongue. They shared scar's even though most of his were regenerating. He had never bothered to pay a healer to remove his superficial wounds. Scar's insulated his line of field and now his identity was slowly being stripped from him.

Setting himself straight with determination, rising and feeling the weight of his tunic as it tightened across his chest, tender newly formed and developing breasts. They had not been that big a few days ago.

Slightly embarrassed he noticed the camel had approached the stranger by itself so he held it in reign placing himself out of sword reach by habit and looking in front, holding this Sefu guy's shadow within the corner of his eyes.

He tried his best to look uncaring and bothered by the situation before finally uttering the words. "I had something i wanted to ask, but i forgot what it was." Clenching his jaw's shut again and trying to shut out the increasing pain within his gut yet his outer body already hunched and one arm reached with reflex to caress what seemed like an inner wound trying to cut its way out.

He hated showing the world that he was no longer made out of stone, yet it was the sheer magnitude of pain and discomfort that overwhelmed his stoic manliness and he was humbled by it.

NO wound he had ever gotten in his entire life could measure up to this pain and had he been a lesser man, no doubt he would have tossed himself off the camel and laid down to die.

Anonymous

Sefu was used to people coming and going around him. He had no close friends in Essryn, no close friends anywhere that he knew of, and apart from meal times, prayer times and class times he had no extended contact with people. He made it that way himself; there was an air of magic in Essryn and for some reason that made him uneasy.

In any case, when the man that had offered him the cactus pear left and was replaced with a more effeminate looking, Sefu wasn't surprised. He was polite enough to listen, even though he didn't look at the man for too long. He had to concentrate on controlling the camel; the animal seemed to be a little wary of him and he had no idea why. He had never knowingly hurt a camel in his life. Not that that length of time was particularly long.

His hand hadn't strayed towards his swords when the man had approached; he had accepted their hospitality, and it would be rude to reach for his weapons merely because he had been approached. He was fast enough to draw if he needed to in any case, but he didn't think he had anything to worry about. He didn't have anything worth stealing, apart from his swords. He would have to start some kind of rumour about them being linked to his soul and breaking if he was killed. Or something similar. At some point.

"I am sure it will come back to you," he commented, politely. "That is what everyone tells me, anyway."

Anonymous

"Oh? so you have a trouble with forgetting things? At least you know how to ride a camel and wield the weapons you carry with experience." Kyuu said hastily while suffering. A quiet and stoic mask hiding the agony within as pain shivered trough his marrow, latching onto his ribcage and giving him the slightly hunched over look.

A man riding fast came from their direction and stopped to talk with Garth whom had ridden in advance. Obviously from the behaviour displayed by hugging each others like brother's. Both knew each others from beforehand.

"That's our scout and gareth's cousin, she has obviously returned with good news." Why he was even explaining this went beyond Kyuu. He had no family left and now soon he would be incapable of ever fathering children. "Have you ever heard the story about a spirit called Mazoud resting within a special lamp that can grant you one wish if you choose to rub it? Supposedly it is real and we intend to find it."

Anonymous

"No, I have a problem with remembering things," Sefu said, again being very careful with his words. He had not forgotten a single thing since awakening those months ago, it was just that he couldn't consciously remember anything that had happened before his awakening. "My body remembers how to breathe and work and fight, but I do not know who I really am."

He watched the scout appear and listened to the explanation from the effeminate male and shook his head. It wasn't a tale he'd heard of, although that wasn't uncommon since he didn't pay much attention to tales. He was too busy trying to pay attention to himself, unravel some memories.

"It sounds like a nice story. But I have not heard it before. I have not recently had time for stories."