Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trolls beneath the bridge [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 29, 2022, 07:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

This was a particularly dangerous road, but Tessa had crossed it many times before and had no choice but to do so. The other roads were longer, less direct--and she needed to get to Reajh fast. Desperation and necessity had her chancing the more dangerous path and hoping that this time she was as lucky as she had been the last few times she'd been forced to choose the more dangerous route in favor of speed.

God was with her, and He always provided. He'd protected her before, had given her this second chance, and she had faith that He would now.

That night, wolves had descended upon her flock. She'd been tired and while she was conditioned to sleep light and stay aware even in sleep, exhaustion had made her drift into a deeper sleep than intended. She'd awoken to the panicked bleating of her flock and the snarls and growls of her sheepdog, Fable, as she fought off the pack--which was blessedly small and young and gave up as soon as it got what it had come for.

In the end, she'd lost one lamb and Fable had been injured; she couldn't walk right and had some bad cuts elsewhere, and a lifetime of experience with animals told Tessa that if the wounds weren't properly treated, they could go septic.

And she didn't know what she'd do if she lost that dog; she'd been her companion for the better part of six years, raised from a puppy. She was a gift from God, protecting her when she needed it and keeping her company even when others had rejected her.

"C'mon, girl. Almost there," Tessa called to the dog, trying to keep the panic out of her voice. She could see the city in the distance; maybe an hour more and they'd be there. Fable only whined in response, limping along in obvious misery.

If the dog hadn't weighed almost as much as Tessa did, she would have carried her.

Minutes passed in relative silence with no sign of trouble and Tessa started to relax, though she still remained alert and scanned the flat lands ahead for any signs of danger.

It was only when they reached a bridge that crossed over a small section of stream that the bandits revealed themselves, stepping out from under the cover of the bridge.

There were three of them, and each of them was stocky and well built, a couple with the scars to show they'd done this before and come out on top. And there she was, a lone girl with a small flock, money and meat on legs.

Their grins only broadened when they noticed the mage's mark embroidered onto the breast of her tunic.

"Well hello, little witch," one of the men sneered, hand playing with the dagger at his belt as he approached. "There's a price for crossin', y'know. Time to pay up."

Panic gripped Tessa, but she gripped her crook tightly and backed up slowly. She wasn't defenseless and she'd had to defend herself against trouble before. The problem was that she'd always had Fable to help her and the dog was in no condition to fight.

And the only other defense she had was one she dared not touch. Ever. Not even if the alternative was death.

Better death than damnation.

"S-stay back! I'm warnin' ya!" she said, ready to start swinging if they got close and praying that they wouldn't. She was terrified of them--but terrified of what could happen if she did act. A mage's word wasn't worth much; if she hurt them, she could easily take the fall for it, even beyond what they could inflict on her. It was all too easy to convince others that a mage had used magic in self-defense even if they hadn't, and that was what made her pause, made her lower her crook.

As much as death was better than damnation, she still didn't want to die.

"Or what? You'll bewitch us? Zap us with lightnin'?" The man's grin broadened. "Go ahead. I dare ya."

They closed in, and Tessa said a silent prayer right before she gave Fable the command to attack, what little good it would do and no matter how it terrified her that she might not come out of this.

Everything happens for a reason.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Gligar

Just before the bandits could close in on Tessa, a bolt of hellfire careened into one of their heads and blasted it clean off. Before the two remaining could recoup themselves, a shadowy figure danced between one of them and slit his throat with a single fluid motion. The last dropped his weapon and started to run – only for the figure to barrel at him at inhuman speed, tackle him, and run his head through with a blade.

Once she was done, Hasina stood up and dusted herself. Over in this part of the world, mages were frowned upon, but that didn't deter her. Anyway, she could make it look like she'd executed the three using mundane means.

"Hey there. Are you okay?" she said, as she turned to Tessa. "Sorry you had to see that; I had business with these folks."

Rhindeer

The attack command was on Tessa's lips--little good it would do, with Fable in her current state--but she never got a chance to utter it.

Because before she could speak, everything erupted into violence and blood and fire.

One second, the leader was reaching to grab her, and the next his head was gone and his neck was a charred and bloody fountain. Tessa screamed and stumbled backwards in terror, tripping over her own feet and falling on her rear with a yelp. She threw her arms over her head, curling up in fright as a figure dropped the next bandit with a blade across his throat, then chased down the last so they were a blur, a blade running through his head with a sickening wet crunch.

In seconds, the bandits were dead. The only figure still standing was a woman, with hair, skin, and clothes that did not point to her being Connlaothian. And she had turned toward her.

Tessa let out a soft squeak, flinching. "Y-you killed them," she gasped, as Fable stepped over her and growled at the woman, picking up on her master's fear. Oh God. Oh God. The woman had killed them all, and so quickly, too quick for her to even know what had happened. It hardly felt real. She had never seen anyone die before, not like that. All that blood. She had seen animals slaughtered before, though she had no stomach for it herself, and that had been awful. But people? Never. She had no love at all for those men, but...but seeing them die like that...

"Oh my God," she breathed. "Oh my God...I--"

She suddenly couldn't speak. She was too busy twisting to the side and retching into the grass.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Gligar

"Hoo, yeah. I remember the first time I saw someone die." Hasina folded her arms underneath her breasts, then waited for the other girl to finish throwing up. "I remember the first time I made someone die, too. Those were not pleasant memories."

Could Hasina be more tactful in a situation like this? Probably, but she didn't know how to act in this situation at all. It had been so long since her hands weren't stained with blood that she'd forgotten how viscerally repulsing the deaths of others seemed to her fellow human beings.

Once the other girl was through, Hasina cleared her throat. "So, uh...are you going to be okay on your own?"

Rhindeer

When Tessa had nothing left in her stomach to empty, she feebly wiped her mouth on the back of her hand and sat back on her heels, trembling and pale. She still felt sick but she had nothing left to give. All she could do was just stay where she was, waiting for the violent nausea to settle--and trying desperately not to look at the slain men.

She could still smell it, though. The blood.

Oh. Nope. She still had something left, it seemed, because she pitched forward again and vomited bile.

Shaking, she sat back up when she was done and pushed her hair out of her face and stared at the woman. How could she talk about that so casually?

"I..." She darted a look at the carnage and swallowed hard. "Thank you. I'm okay. I think? Sorry..." Compared to those men, she was never better. She drew a shuddering breath, trying to clear her panicked brain, and as her brain began to function again everything that had happened slowly registered. Fable's injuries. The men threatening her life. This woman had saved her—

And she had never felt more conflicted. 

She had saved her, but she had killed three people

Bad people. But...did they deserve to die?

And then Fable whimpered, still standing over her so protectively, and Tessa winced. Here someone was, someone who could potentially help—but she didn't know what to think about her, this woman who cut down three men without hesitation.

"Why did you kill them?" she said at last, hugging Fable's neck.

Gligar

"They had bounties on their heads. Hunting bounties is how I make my living, and sometimes that involves bloodshed. It was unlikely that they'd have surrendered peacefully." Hasina cracked an awkward smile – even if they had decided to surrender, killing them was probably the more expedient means of dispatching them.

"I...yeah, so that's why I killed them. Need help or are you going to be okay on your own? Or - well, with that thing." Hasina stepped forward, uncertain as to what to do in this situation. "And by the way, you shouldn't tell anyone how I killed them. In this part of the world, well...us mages aren't looked upon kindly."

Rhindeer

Tessa was so shaken by the bloody massacre that one of the more obvious issues had been less obvious to her—the part where this woman had used magic. Sure, she had seen it happen. She'd seen the fire flay that man's head clear off his neck. But the meaning of it had kind of been lost among all the oh my god people are dying!

But there was no getting around it when the woman explicitly called it out and, worse, asked for her secrecy.

Tessa's eyes went wide and she clapped a hand to her chest, right over the symbol embroidered onto her patchwork tunic: the symbol that marked her as a mage. The symbol that promised she was safe, promised she would be good, promised she would never, ever touch magic. The symbol that, despite that promise, also meant she would never fully be part of society. It was why so many marked mages worked with the church or other jobs that kept them out of sight and low-profile--not to mention it was often the only job they could get in the first place.

It was why she was her church's shepherdess.

"I-I wouldn't tell," she said at last, and thought of what a childhood bully had told her once about what snitches got. This woman was unmarked, and killed so easily, which made her doubly dangerous. She felt like she'd jumped out of the fire and right into a nice, greased up pan.

"I'm a mage, too. Well. I don't...I don't do things, um, magic...I've never..." Oof, it was getting a bit hard to breathe and she was all too aware of the sour-sick taste in her mouth. With a shiver, she lowered her hand to show the mark and cast a nervous glance at the bodies, wincing. "We should go. Someone will find them, and when they do you'll be in trouble." A pause, another wince. "Or both of us. Oh God. They might think I did it, too. We need to go!"

The area was quiet and secluded with not a soul in sight as far as the eye could see, but Tessa was taking zero chances. She started to rise, but a whine from Fable made her pause. They wouldn't be getting far on their own. "I think I need help, though," she said quietly. "My dog's hurt. I've gotta round up the sheep. I...don't know if you have the time, but..."

She trailed off uncertainly, awkward. It felt weird asking her for help; the woman was frankly terrifying. But she didn't really have any other options.

Gligar

Hasina sighed. Against her better judgment, she had the urge to help this poor girl – call it recompense for having subjected said poor girl to such a grisly sight. It wasn't every day that one saw something so brutal in front of one's face, after all. Who knew, maybe that'd give her some points with whatever powers there were.

Except if that power was Zahhakis. Quite frankly, fuck Zahhakis.

"Alright, I'll help you round up your sheep," she said, as she closed her eyes and grimaced. "But you must promise to pretend that you never saw me, alright? And that this whole ordeal never happened. Else..."

Hasina paused. Or else what? It wasn't like she was going to kill the other girl for the sake of silencing.

"...Else we'll both be in really big trouble. I assume you understand why, being a mage yourself," she said, with a tsk. "But again, I will help you."

Rhindeer

"I won't say a word. Promise," Tessa said quickly, in no hurry to wind out what "big trouble" looked like. Besides, there was a hidden threat there: if she snitched on the lady, the lady could snitch on her. Tessa may not have done anything, but it didn't take much to convince people that a mage was guilty of something.

It's not like Tessa could prove that she hadn't touched magic. All she had was her mark and the oath she'd taken in church, and after that it was her word against the world. She was quite aware of how precarious her existence was, which was why she tried so hard to keep a low and humble profile.

"Just don't do anything suspicious," she added in a low voice as she rose to her feet, dusted herself off, and too up her crook.

She told Fable to stay, then started to head the direction her sheep had scattered. They didn't go far, and they stayed grouped together aside from the usual few stragglers, thank goodness, but they were skittish things and the events of the past couple days had them jumpy. It was the stragglers she headed for.

"Um, thank you, by the way," she said awkwardly to the woman. "For, y'know...everything."