Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stupid Cat. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 29, 2022, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

As a girl growing up, Lyric had always wondered how her cats, mighty apex predators that they were, could be so foolish. They were smart animals. Scrappy and tough, they knew how to survive, how to hunt, and brought her family offerings of small rodents on the regular. (Much to her horror; finding eviscerated mice on her bed wasn't fun.) They were resilient; she had seen one fall from a great height and land unscathed, catching a bird in mid-fight along the way. They were tiny but fierce, beautiful and graceful, intelligent and clever.

And so stupid sometimes.

And now...so was she.

Those were Lyric's thoughts as she stood perched on a high branch in a sturdy oak tree, feline tail waving as she stared down at the ground and tried to figure out how the hell to get back down. She had been going about her business, rooting about for food, when a pack of stray dogs caught her scent and gave chase, barking and baying all the while. Luckily, she was quicker and had claws for climbing, because she'd bolted up the nearest tree (a lone oak that much of the district had been built around, instead of cutting it down to make space) and stayed put until they lost interest.

She hadn't given a thought as to how to get back down. She had always imagined it would be easy: just go down the way she came up. As it turned out, it wasn't quite that intuitive. Up had been simple. But now, staring down at the ground, which seemed so much higher from her current vantage point...

Lyric let out a pitiful mew. This was ridiculous. But even though cats always landed on their feet, and she was no exception, that didn't mean she wasn't afraid of breaking said feet.

Gods and goddesses, this was dumb.

And as she waited, and mewed for help, she sent a silent apology out into the universe, on behalf of all stuck cats that she had previously called stupid.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Gligar

Luckily for the cat, help was on its way. After a few minutes of waiting to see if the coast was clear of dogs, Kovarst trotted out in fox form. "Hey, do you need help getting down?" he said, as he aimed his gaze upwards – he'd clearly just spoken human speech, too. Never mind that it was extremely unlikely, albeit not impossible, that the cat could understand him.

"Eh, it looks like you do. Give me a sec."

That was all the warning Kovarst gave the cat before he shifted fully into a dragon, swooped up, picked her with one of his talons, and then set her on the ground gently. "There we go!" he said, utterly unconcerned as to how his true form might shock her.

Rhindeer

Lyric had accepted her fate. This was her home now, this tree. This was where she would die. No one had noticed her, or perhaps no one cared, because she was a cat! She should be able to get back down!

Lowering her head with a pitiful sound, she wondered how long she could make it without food and water. Maybe she could hold really still and catch a bird, gross as that was.

She was still pondering her options, and inevitable doom, when a voice called out to her and she snapped a look in its direction.

At first she saw no one, but that was because she was looking for a person, not a fox. And the fox was...the fox was talking.

...What the...?

She had no warning at all before the fox suddenly became a much bigger dragon, and then it was coming at her, talons outstretched, and she let out a yowl of fear. A shapeshifter! She was a shapeshifter too, that was true, but not like that and not a dragon! In panic, she tried to jump, tried to launch herself out of the tree and take her chances with the ground she knew rather than the actual dragon she didn't, and for a moment she was airborne--but only a moment. Her stomach lurched as it snatched her up, and she let out another screech as it took her to the ground and gently deposited her.

She scrambled back to her feet, heart hammering away, and cowered back from the beast. "Don't eat me!" came her panicked thought, back arched and fur fluffed up, tail as bristly as a bottle-brush. "Please! I have so much fur I swear I won't be worth it! You'll have hairballs for weeks! Not pleasant! I would know!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Gligar

Kovarst stepped back. Oh boy, the cat was scared. In retrospect, Kovarst should've seen this outcome coming – he felt stupid that he didn't. Not sure how to act in this situation, he decided to take the path of least resistance. "Hey there, don't worry – I won't harm you," he said, in as measured a voice as he could given his present circumstances.

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would've done so already, right? Or I would've simply left you up there. Turning back into my true form was really the only way I could've saved you!" Kovarst sighed; why was he even talking to the cat? It wasn't like the cat was intelligent enough to understand him!

Maybe he was just bored out of his mind.

Rhindeer

Lyric paused, freezing right in the middle of her feline freakout. Wait. Did he understand her? No...he couldn't. That wasn't possible. But his words of reassurance were timed just right so that for a moment, she thought there might be a chance. She let out a held breath, an all too human gesture, and let out a relieved mew.

Okay. Right. Talking dragon. He looked scary, but he was clearly as intelligent as she was--and he had a point! He could have eaten her one chomp if he felt like a snack.

Her fur smoothed out, no longer fluffed up in fright, but she still couldn't help a bit of instinctive fear at being so close to such a large apex predator. But she also wanted to show him that she understood, no hard feelings. He had saved her from a slow death-by-starvation-by-tree, after all!

Pushing back at her fear, she stepped forward and butted her head against his leg, letting out a series of soft, rumbling purrs. Was he really a dragon? He had been a fox minutes before. What was he really?