Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What adventure awaits?

Started by Marjorie, July 05, 2013, 07:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

She didn't have to share information about her home – though he would be interested in it – he was unlikely to as where it was as opposed to what sort of place it was. What were her people like... but he sensed some nervousness in her at the idea of the question she posed him. Still she had asked him, offered some information of herself, he would take it, keep it, "Do all of your people have starfish hair?"

Oh, she wanted to explore – let them go on a journey to somewhere then. He gestured she follow with his hand as he turned to his right on a whim. He knew were some of the doors here lead... but there were many, and most he had never tried before. As they continued to walk he could feel a change in the air, a shift... something subtle, as they neared a door and he smelled... oils, fruity, flowery, and rich hanging in the air. He knew where they were headed – a place he had not been in a decade or more perhaps. He smiled at her and before the scenery shifted around him, his own appearance changed.

Durstan seemed to fluctuate for a moment, then changed entirely – though his build and physical shape didn't change over much his face did, as well as his skin, hair, and eye color. His clothing also – his eyes appeared to be painted, rather lined in kohl, and he was bare of clothing on his top half, wearing only a sarong like skirt wrapped around his waist that came almost to the ankles trimmed in gold embroidery and tied with a vibrant blue sash, there were sandals with braided cords on his feet and the only thing that remained unchanged looking were the dagger at his hip and the bow and quiver still slung across his back secured by its leather strap that crossed over his chest from right shoulder to left hip.

His smile widened as he looked at the girl, "It's hot where we're headed." Then as they took another step, they were there, right in the middle of one of the bustling markets of Essyrn.

wolfie

She heard the question and smiled wondering what he would think of her people. It was interesting talking to someone outside her village. She wanted to talk about anything and everything all at once.

"No, each clan has different types of traits. Ours is water so each of us have different hair based on water. My cousin for instance has seaweed for hair," she said giving a brief answer. It didn't do any harm telling him this. Besides if the world knows more about us maybe they won't fear us like last time. She thought feeling hope.

Meri followed him as he turned right. There was that feeling again that she had felt earlier. She could sense it along with the smells hanging around. He smiled as if he knew where they were going. She trusted he wouldn't lead her into trouble.

"How did you do that?" She asked noticing the change. She was completely in awe thinking it was magic. Hot? Hmmm I hope its not so hot that my hair shrivels. She thought knowing soon enough she would have to get wet again. Her hair was always a good sign on when she needed to step into water and immerse herself.

Marjorie

Oh! That was very interesting – a creature of the natural world that a Fae was unaware of? That was very interesting indeed. "You are tied to the natural world then, as am I..." Durstan observed, "Do you have clans linked to the earth, the sky, other elements – fire?" Oh, he was very, very curious now. She had given him something though, knowledge of herself, knowledge of something previously unknown... he should give something in return. A thing for a thing, that was the proper way.

His grin widened at her question, the awe struck look on her face and he laughed something light and merry sounding. "Magic," he smiled down at her, "it's called a glamour. I could show you more... but not here." He didn't like to be too showy with magic in public places. 

It was hot here, and dry, and it crossed his mind that if she was a water elemental – which was what he was thinking of her as now, at least in some way – this might be an uncomfortable place for her. At the very least he knew that starfish would be uncomfortable in such an environment, "We shall have to get you something light to cover your head."

It was crowded here and noisy. There were stalls of goods of every kind lining the streets... sellers offering wears that included everything from perfumes to sparkling jewels, to cloth, to sweet and spicy smelling foods. There was a stall selling dates and cinnamon candied nuts... He stopped, and fished a gold coin from... it might have been nowhere, but it was really a pocket from inside his cloak that was no longer visible. He smiled at the vender and offered the coin to the man. "The dates and nuts, one of each," he said and the man handed him a couple silver coins in return and poured a helping of each into a little cloth pouch before handing it to him. "Thank you," Durstan responded, taking it and then looking back at Meri. He tried one of the dates and then held the bag out toward her so she could try them. Sweet treats had always been a favorite of his.

"What is your favorite color?" he asked, seemingly on a whim as he eyed a stall selling textiles. 

wolfie

"No nothing like that. There are three clans. Sea, worm, and snake. I'm sure you've heard of the snake one its what everyone usually thinks a Medusian actually is," she said knowing she had given him her label too. Being of the sea wasn't all that though. She was feeling the heat just then.

"Magic. I look forward to seeing more," she said wondering if everyone possessed magic. She wouldn't be surprised if that was the way. She thought of asking, but kept her mouth shut. He bought and offered her some food. She took a piece of each not being greedy. She bit into the brown fruit finding it sweet and sticky. She also found it had a seed inside that couldn't be bitten through. She found the fruit interesting something new.

Once she was done with that she put the nut into her mouth getting intriguing flavors again. She wasn't sure what this was, but continued to eat it. The world seemed to have many secrets she had yet to discover.

"Blue. What's yours?" She said thinking it would be a good idea to get his too. She didn't know what she would do with it though once she had the answer.

"What are these that I've eaten?"

Marjorie

"Ahh," Durstan said as if she had just explained some important mystery to him, "linked to nature then, but not by elements by creatures. I'm linked by the elements, primal life - pants animals. The other things that were first on this world." Durstan thought a moment... he'd never heard of the medusa or a medusan at all... but he recalled an old tale of a woman with serpentine hair. He made the connection instantly when she added that it was the kind that 'everyone' thought a medusa was. He made no such judgments though. Long lived, he had been around for many, many years... and he would continue on for a vast and unknown number of years into the future. Durstan had learned long ago to judge each being on their own account, and by not only their appearance and their statements – but most importantly by their actions and questions. Those were the truly revealing things.

He grinned wide and almost excited. She was such a curious thing, wasn't she? So full of wonder and excitement and a want for more – always more. She was not unlike himself in some ways. He watched as Meri tired the sweets he offered her. She approached them as if she were exploring something new and different. Ah, but she was such a child, so unknowing when it came to most things in the world. As they continued to walk they passed a woody plant with narrow green leaves and bright pink and white star shaped leaves. He grinned at her and then glanced at the plant. He touched the petal of one of the flowers and it grew quickly, the color deepening and brightening and the flower growing an inch in diameter. He picked it and offered it to her. "The gift of life, I can give it to plants," he murmured softly enough no one but her would hear, "it will live perhaps a month or more like this if you do not crush it." This was such a small dose of magic though... such a little can trip and still she'd been dazzled by the little she had seen of magic already.

Blue, her answer was so simple, without detail... but few saw the little things he always noticed. "Green... the bright fresh green of a needling pine full of vigor in the spring," Durstan answered with a touch of wistfulness... he missed the woods already, even if he had only just left the shade of trees, "that or the purest bright blue of the sky at high noon."

Blue... blue, like her eyes? Yes. That would do nicely. He stopped walking  when they approached the vender whose wears he had been looking at. They were selling cloth... likely like nothing she had ever seen before. Very light, very sheer fabrics. He looked at her intently a moment, taking in the color of her eyes, her skin, the starfish legs on her hair... Then he reached out for a sawl of deep blues and bright turquoise, it reminded him of the ripple of water on a clean, clear lake... it would suit her well. It was a thin, light material that would keep her cool, but not silk... it was something, he believed, that would be well suited to dampening to keep her moist and cool. "What do you think of this," he held it out for her inspection.

wolfie

"Correct, but some are elements too. Seaweed isn't a creature but a plant. I've also seen hair that is coral as well," she said not sharing who belonged to that one. She didn't think he would want anyone outside the village knowing that.

Meri watched wide eyed as he make the flower grow. She took it when he offered it not sure what to do with it. She wasn't planning on crushing it any time soon. She wondered what else he could do with his magic, but thought it best not to ask him at least not yet.

Meri listened as he told her his favorite color giving more detail that she had thought to give. She had a feeling though hers was pretty obvious on why she liked blue so much. She loved the waters of the earth and was wishing she was near one. Her hair was drying out.

They approached another vendor. She saw the cloth that was being sold and her eyes looked over many things. She wasn't sure why they were at this one. She had clothing on and hadn't any use for more. It was way too hot to be wearing anything more than what she had on.

"It's lovely. The colors are remarkable as well. What's it for?"

Marjorie

"But they are alive," Durstan responded, growing in understanding not arguing the point, "they breath they grow... they have the needs that sustain life." He smiled. There's was a truly interesting people.

He grinned then, pleased that she liked his gift. Taking the cloth in his hands, he lifted it and wrapped it around her head and shoulders so that all the starfish legs sprouting from her head were covered and shaded from the heat, but the cloth was light enough to let the soft breeze threw, allowing for a cooling affect. It did nothing really for the dryness though. "We'll find a fountain... or perhaps visit the bath, and you can wet this... the people will think you strange indeed, but it should keep you comfortable." He turned back to the vendor then and spoke to him, haggling the price before settling on something that Durstan still thought was too high. Pride, these people had pride enough to match any fae. He respected it... but let them not be too greedy, his mood and opinions could easily shift to the misfortune of anyone who sought to take advantage of him.

wolfie

Meri knew she could make a good point with plants being alive as well and being considered elemental. She didn't bother though there was no use keeping that going. He had learned what he wanted to, and she knew it.

She hadn't expected him to buy her something else. It felt good to have something keeping her hair from the sun. It wasn't wet, but the breeze did help some she felt like she needed water and soon. It wasn't every day she went without water in some form this was an interesting place to be.

"I don't mind them thinking I'm strange it's not every day someone like me comes around. Thank you for the cloth," she said not sure what else to say. He was thinking of her protecting her in some way something she hadn't considered of outsiders before. She then realized she was the outsider not him this wasn't her village. Meri watched as he haggled for the right price. It was an intriguing method of gaining things.

"Do you often name prices like that? Could anyone learn to do that?" She asked not sure if she had anything of value to offer though. What she considered valuable others might not.

Marjorie

He had gained what he wanted to know from her and there was no more valuable gift than knowledge. A few sweets and a simple piece of cloth was a small repayment for such a gift as understanding. That she did not expect it made it sweeter, and he was not surprised by it. Fae sought balance in all things – life and death, growth and decay, the vigor of youth and the stillness of wisdom. They did not necessarily believe in daily balance, no more universal balance – that all things totaled became equal. A thing for a thing. That was the way.

"They probably think I'm strange too," he winked playfully at her, "walking around with the face of a local and the accent of someone not of any Kingdome." He did indeed want to protect her though, because he reminded her of a child... fae they did not look after their children for long before thrusting them out into the wide world – a decade perhaps, maybe two – a drop in the bucket for a fae who might live centuries forever. He would hope that if someone found any child of his (not that he had any yet) young and naive that they would help and not hinder them.

Durstan smiled. "Sometimes... it depends on the person... the language of gold and silver is one that all merchants speak, regardless of other barriers of understanding... but some are more easily persuaded than others."

wolfie

"I hadn't thought of it that way," she said seeing the truth in this. He had used his magic, but she didn't really have anything like that. She felt herself searching for water not really finding much around here. She was getting thirsty and would need water soon.

"I'm afraid I don't know that language we didn't use it in the village," she said being honest. It was the one thing she could trust no matter where she was. She wasn't sure how to ask more about the direction of those bathing places. She didn't have to though the water screamed at her from its location. It was all she could feel just then other than weakness.

"Boy its hot here," she said that being the last thing she was able to say. Suddenly the world went black and fast.

Marjorie

She seemed antsy or concerned, looking around – he was picking up some kind of growing distress from her, but he was unsure what was causing it... he didn't realize her need for water was so dire – she should have said something he would have brought her there first. Those neither of  her comments were of much surprise, Durstan was about to comment, except then she mentioned the heat and started to tip over. Seeing Durstan moved to catch her easily, lifting her into his arms as if she weighed no more than a pillow he cradled her in his arms.

He cursed in his own language as he set off at a fast clip toward the public bath house. He was near to running, but moved with grace, agile enough as he rounded corners and avoided people that he didn't hardly jostle her at all. He didn't bother disrobing or even taking off his shoes – he was sure he offended more than one person, but he didn't care. Gently he set her in the water up to her shoulders, kneeling down beside her so she wouldn't slip and drown. Gingerly he unwrapped the shawl from around her head and shoulders soaking it in the water and using it to gently wipe down her face, neck, and hair.

wolfie

It seemed like a dream. She was swimming again but this time it was different. She could feel the water as if it was there as if she was in it. She could also sense she didn't need to worry about breathing as if she could do so under water. This had to be a dream. She looked about her but didn't see anything in the water. That was when she woke.

Looking about her she noted that there was water. He was there too using the new cloth to help wet her. She felt worlds better now that she had water.

"Sorry about that guess the new surroundings got to me more than I realized," she said blushing a bit. She excused herself for a moment and immersed herself completely. Returning to the surface a moment later her hair danced happy again. She was an odd sight that she knew. People were staring at her. She made no attempt to get out of the water just yet.

Marjorie

Durstan could tell, even before Meri woke that she was doing better the moment he got her into the water. People were not looking at her they were looking at them, and Durstan looked nothing shy of possessive of the girl as he glared at onlooker and hovered over her. In her defenseless state Durstan was more territorial than perhaps he had the right to be. Having the right or authority to do or feel something had never stopped him from doing just as he pleased regardless.

It's alright, Durstan said watching with amusement as she sunk beneath the water. "Are you alright now?" he asked, "Should we go back? Or do you think you will be ok if we keep your clothes wet? The people will think you're wasteful... but I do not care about that."

wolfie

She didn't want to leave the water it was so beautiful something she hadn't seen in awhile like this. Sure she could feel the water in the earth, but that was different. She couldn't really feel any water in their surroundings except here. There was small amount in the earth not enough to call forth in times of trouble though.

"I'm fine now. I won't need to keep my clothing wet just my hair. If it dries out too much I'll faint again. I so want to see more of this place," she said anxious to learn more of a completely different world than she was used to. It was one of the reasons she left her village.

"If I feel like that again I will let you know," she said knowing he was trying to help her. She was glad they were travelling together.