Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Moonlight on dark water (Rhi-Rhi)

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2010, 05:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It had been a straight forward mission. Demon activity in the Thunderbacks had started to get out of control and a few villages and pooled their resources to hire the Order of the Moon to come take care of it. So Uxia and two others had been sent, armed and prepared. Or so they had thought.

They had arrived to find things had gotten much, much worse and the demon far more powerful than anyone had know. In the middle of the battle, the demon had unleashed some strange magic, sucking them into a dark world. As far as Uxia could tell, it was some dark reflection of the Thunderbacks. She had seen some land marks she thought she recognized. They just looked...putrid and corrupted and dark now.

That had been three days ago. There was no sign of the demon, just it's minions that populated this other world. Her two companions were dead, one during the first conflict with the demon. Ja'lar...Uxia's eyes flicked over to the body of her partner. Her former partner. He had gotten hit with the spit from some fat demon and it had melted half his face and most of his chest away before she could get to him. By the time she had destroyed the demon, he was dead.

So now she was alone. Her supplies were starting to run low, even with the extra she was able to scavenge from Ja'lar. And she had no idea where to find the demon that had trapped her here.

Gripping her spear, she stood up and brushed her bangs to the side. She could do this. People were depending on her.

Rhindeer

You are so, so screwed, Hatame. And not in the fun way. C'mon, man. Use your upstairs brain here. You know you have one.

Trying hard to keep his breathing level and quiet, Hatame was currently hunkered down behind a large grouping of boulders nestled against some broken trees. Beyond them, he could hear the demons snarling and hissing, hear the shifting of soil and grass as the prowled the mountainside, hunting. For him, no doubt. They'd nearly made a meal of him earlier when the mountain suddenly went all dark and ugly on him, but he'd so far managed to stay one step ahead. Barely. One had got him on the shoulder with its talons and the wound was stinging something awful and had started looking red and inflamed and infected minutes after it had been inflicted.

Wonderful.

What was with his luck and mountains?! That did it! After this, it was city living forever and no more mountains, ever! This was his sign! The mountains were trying to eat him! He should have known when he and Sakkata could barely go two feet without something trying to take their face off.

Sakkata...

Oh, well. She would be fine, wherever she was. She knew how to take care of herself and then some. Right now, he had to take care of himself--and there'd be nothing left to take care of if he stayed here much longer. He could hear the creatures drawing closer, making excited chattering noises; they may have caught his scent. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Three...two...one...

And he was off, shoving off from the ground and to his feet and taking off at a sprint over the wasted land. The chattering noises turned into laughter-like squeals and he heard claws scrabbling at earth as they took off after him.

Shit, shit, shit, shiiiit! It would have been nice if he could use magic, but everything was so dry, not a hint of water in the earth or the air, nothing for him to draw from. So, running it was, trying to find some way out of this place, or at least find a spot where he could gather his strength enough to shift. Goddamn human meatsuit!

So there he was, running for all he was worth, high-tailing it like his life depended on it, and he had just crested over a small hill when--

"Whoa!" He came screeching to a stop, nearly slipping on gravel and tumbling down the hill.

Mayhem behind him, wasted, mutilated bodies below him! Brilliant job, Hatame! Clearly this was the perfect spot to run to, a slaughtering ground! Grimacing, he had just started to turn away, rethinking his 'strategy', when he noticed that...well, one of them was kind of standing and moving. Only one was dead.

Great! A survivor! With a spear!

That was all he needed.

"Heeey!" he shouted, and took off half jogging, half skidding down the rocky slope. "Hey! Lady! I got a slight problem! Maybe you can help!"

No sooner had he said it than five dog-sized demons came pouring down over the hillside after him.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Uxia turned quickly at the sound of someone approaching. At first she thought it was an old man, the white hair catching her eye. But he moved to easily for that and as he got closer she realized he was young, with a scared up face. Probably a warrior. And he was wounded. Lovely.

She wrinkled her nose at his speech, then immediately dropped down into a fighting stance, spear ready to catch the weight of the charging demons, "Behind me. Quickly."

5 of them. Of course. But they were the simple ones, all claws and fangs as far as she could tell. She had yet to see them use magic, thank the gods. Then the first demon hit and went down with a spear through the chest, screaming loudly.

The warrior just let the spear drop, drawing the two swords from her back. Her shield, sadly, was long gone. Melted by a monster. Incanting as she attacked with the blades, the demons howled, their skin hissing where the blades touched, glowing with the power she was sending into them. Another demon fell, it's throat sliced open.

3 left and she had wounded them. Good. She kept an eye on the white haired man, still not fully trusting him. Until she could get her hands on him, he could be a shape changed demon for all she knew.

Rhindeer

Hatame didn't need any further encouragement.

Pouring on the speed, he ducked behind the woman, feeling absolutely no shame over the fact that he was cowering behind her. Why would he? She was armed, he wasn't. She looked pretty bad-ass, and he'd met his share of bad-ass women in his time. And since when had he ever felt that his manliness was threatened by anything? Never. He could flounce about in a dress and be comfortable, never mind hide behind a more competent individual where demons were involved.

And competent she was.

The way she handled those demons, almost effortlessly...it conjured up memories of a certain other bad-ass woman, but he pushed the thought away and could only gape as she dispatched the demons. Two dead, three still kicking, and that was good enough for Hatame.

He twisted his body, bracing himself to run. "That...that was amazing! Really great! So now we run, right?" he got out, practically hopping with nervous energy. Those injured demons, they could totally outrun them!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Uxia snorted at the man's comment. It was stupid on so many levels. First off, the demons would outrun them eventually. And by running fast, they wouldn't be as careful and would run into other demons. And more importantly,

"I do not run from demons little boy. I slay them." Some warrior. He cowered in the face of monsters. Unarmed or not, Uxia would have fought the demons, though she sometimes forgot that not everyone was her.

Power still pulsed through her sword blades and she suddenly surged forward, kicking on demon in the face as she slashed at another one. There was a blur of movement and demonic screeches as Uxia made her way through the creatures. In moments there were three more corpses at the demon slayers feet.

Turning, she lifted one sword, covered in dark demon blood that sizzled on contact with the sword, "Now. You. What are you doing here? Who are you?"

Rhindeer

Little boy? Another time, and Hatame may have been baffled by the comment, but at the moment his bafflement lasted all of one second before his mind shifted right back to, oh dear gods, demons! But if she wasn't running, he wasn't running; he didn't want to be on his own again, so he was content to stay right where he was.

And let her deal.

Which she did, with seemingly effortless ease.

But before he really had time to be impressed, she'd turned on him, and Hatame jolted and stepped back instinctively when she lifted that sizzling sword. "Uh, wha? Me? Er, I'm...Hatame?" He blinked and looked around, then looked back at the sword and held up his hands, though he couldn't quite lift his one arm very high.

"I...don't really know what's going on. See, I was just trying to get back to Ketra and then, BOOM, weirdness everywhere and I'm getting jumped by those things and then you're rushing to my aid and pulling off a daring rescue and now you're my hero and I'm really, really appreciative and by the way your eyes are lovely." He flashed her a pained smile.

Anonymous

Uxia had been prepared to interrogate the hell out the moron who had managed to stumble into her hunt. He was a liability and now she was stuck protecting him. But it all came to a halt in the face of his rapid chatter and Uxia actually took a step back, not sure what to make of his professions of her heroics.

Then he complimented her eyes and Uxia stared at him, her cheeks darkening in a blush, which she tired to pretend wasn't happening. No one really complimented her looks like that and that it just came out of nowhere left the warrior slightly shaken, "I-what? My eyes? Where did-"

With a small sound of annoyance, Uxia shook her head, making her long braid sway, "Never mind. Hatama? Give me your hand, I will test you for demon taint." Snagging his hand, Uxia muttered a short spell. Her hand felt a pleasant tingle, signaling a lack of demonic taint inside him. Good. He was clean.

"Alright. I have bad news for you. We are trapped here by a demon. A powerful one. I am going to have to destroy it to get us out of here. But I will protect you, don't worry."

Rhindeer

Uxia snorted at the man's comment. It was stupid on so many levels. First off, the demons would outrun them eventually. And by running fast, they wouldn't be as careful and would run into other demons. And more importantly,

"I do not run from demons little boy. I slay them." Some warrior. He cowered in the face of monsters. Unarmed or not, Uxia would have fought the demons, though she sometimes forgot that not everyone was her.

Power still pulsed through her sword blades and she suddenly surged forward, kicking on demon in the face as she slashed at another one. There was a blur of movement and demonic screeches as Uxia made her way through the creatures. In moments there were three more corpses at the demon slayers feet.

Turning, she lifted one sword, covered in dark demon blood that sizzled on contact with the sword, "Now. You. What are you doing here? Who are you?"

Little boy? Another time, and Hatame may have been baffled by the comment, but at the moment his bafflement lasted all of one second before his mind shifted right back to, oh dear gods, demons! But if she wasn't running, he wasn't running; he didn't want to be on his own again, so he was content to stay right where he was.

And let her deal.

Which she did, with seemingly effortless ease.

But before he really had time to be impressed, she'd turned on him, and Hatame jolted and stepped back instinctively when she lifted that sizzling sword. "Uh, wha? Me? Er, I'm...Hatame?" He blinked and looked around, then looked back at the sword and held up his hands, though he couldn't quite lift his one arm very high.

"I...don't really know what's going on. See, I was just trying to get back to Ketra and then, BOOM, weirdness everywhere and I'm getting jumped by those things and then you're rushing to my aid and pulling off a daring rescue and now you're my hero and I'm really, really appreciative and by the way your eyes are lovely." He flashed her a pained smile.

Uxia had been prepared to interrogate the hell out the moron who had managed to stumble into her hunt. He was a liability and now she was stuck protecting him. But it all came to a halt in the face of his rapid chatter and Uxia actually took a step back, not sure what to make of his professions of her heroics.

Then he complimented her eyes and Uxia stared at him, her cheeks darkening in a blush, which she tired to pretend wasn't happening. No one really complimented her looks like that and that it just came out of nowhere left the warrior slightly shaken, "I-what? My eyes? Where did-"

With a small sound of annoyance, Uxia shook her head, making her long braid sway, "Never mind. Hatama? Give me your hand, I will test you for demon taint." Snagging his hand, Uxia muttered a short spell. Her hand felt a pleasant tingle, signaling a lack of demonic taint inside him. Good. He was clean.

"Alright. I have bad news for you. We are trapped here by a demon. A powerful one. I am going to have to destroy it to get us out of here. But I will protect you, don't worry."

Success! When in doubt, compliment like hell and throw 'em off, and it looked like it had worked well enough here. Y'know, show that you were just a harmless moron and not a threat—which was the truth! That he was harmless, not a moron, though some begged to differ and that was fair enough.

When she recovered again, Hatame blinked when she asked for his hand. "Er, it's Hah-tah-may and I'm not a--" he started to say, raising a finger, but then she snatched his hand away, muttered some mumbo-jumbo, and that seemed to satisfy her. Whatever it was. Hey, if it'd keep her fighting demons and him from getting stabbed, it was fine by him!

He took his hand back when she was done and rubbed away the tingle, then frowned at her 'bad news'. "You don't say..." All that and she had to go and add a 'don't worry'? "So, uh, where is 'here', anyway? And any clue where the demon is, love? 'Cause I'm guessing you don't mean one of those little ones but like...the big king granddaddy mother of all demons. Or something."

He rolled his shoulder to try and loosen the tension, wincing at the pain. "I might be able to help if I can get a few minutes uninterrupted..."

"Don't call me love." Uxia's cheeks were still flushed from his compliment, though she narrowed her eyes at the white haired man. Pet names were not acceptable in her book, "Here is the Thunderbacks. Just, slightly to the side." She gave a shrug, not bothering to explain much more. It wasn't really important anyway, "And yes. There is a big demon, that is a very real threat."

She frowned slightly as he winced, wiping her blades free of the demon blood, "Are you injured? I am a healer if you need help."

"Yeah, demon jumped me and took a chunk outta me," Hatame said, turning to show off his shoulder, where four parallel gashes—obviously from a demon's claws—opened his shirt and flesh. His sleeve was stained dark with blood, and the flesh beneath was red not only with dried blood but with budding infection.

"So if you know any healing stuff, that'd be wonderful, 'cause this is sorta uncomfortable."

Uxia made a small hissing sound, shaking her head, "You should have said something." She finished cleaning her swords and slid them back into her sheaths. The spear would have to wait until his wound was clean unfortunately.

She closed the distance between them and gripped Hatame's shoulder between her hands, letting her magic flow into him, seeing exactly was wrong. Closing her eyes, she focused on the wound and spoke the spell, a warm, pleasant feeling spreading into Hatame, easing the pain from the wound.

It didn't take long until his flesh was whole again, though still caked with blood. The infection was gone as well and the skin was the same healthy dark shade as the rest of him.

"There. You are healed now. Maybe you wont run now." Uxia dropped her hands away and turned, tugging her spear out of the demon and started wiping it clean. The demon blood could ruin a weapon if you weren't careful.

When Uxia told him that he should have said something, Hatame only smiled sheepishly and gave a gentle shrug. Well, how was he supposed to know that she was a healer? But he kept his mouth shut in case she changed her mind and let her handle his shoulder, a sigh of relief escaping him as she healed him because oh, man, did that feel nice.

And then she was done, and Hatame probed at his shoulder tentatively but found only dried blood, smooth skin, and no pain. He started to open his mouth to thank her, but she spoke first and he shot her a dry look.

"Aw, c'mon, what was I supposed to do? Stand there and let 'em chew me up? I ran 'cause it jumped me! And not in the fun way! I mean, I like nails and all, I've gotten scraped up good and I liked it, but it's not the same thing!" he said, throwing up his hands both show they were empty and that he had no weapons hidden in his clothes or anything.

"I didn't exactly wanna go toe to toe unarmed, right? 'Cause it sure wouldn't be me that came out on top."

Uxia just shrugged. Because being unarmed wouldn't have stopped her from fighting those demons and her body language somehow made that very clear. She finished cleaning off her spear and found the blade was free of blemishes.

"Well, are you comfortable with a spear?" She liked spears better, but it was easier to have Hatame keep out of trouble when he had the spear. He could keep his distance better.

The comments on enjoying scrapes was lost on Uxia, not really understanding what he meant. She just raised an eyebrow at Hatame, "Are you done making excuses now?"

"Comfortable...how?" Hatame asked, raising an eyebrow. "Comfortable being in a spear's presence? Yup! Comfortable watching you poke demons with it? Certainly! Comfortable touching one? Oh, baby yes! Comfortable...using one? Er...no. Never used one. Y'see, I've never used weapons or anything, not really. Sometimes I've used a knife or something, but other than that...nope. My body's a weapon all on its own, see."

He realized how that must sound. But he also realized how saying, 'yeah, I'm really a gryphon!' sounded, too. It was one of those things that most people had to see to believe.

"I'm not making excuses, dear. I'm just saying, if you can buy me a couple minutes uninterrupted, I can help."

Why did he have to talk so much, just to get to a simple point? He could have just said that no, he couldn't use a spear. Instead the man went on and on and on. He seemed to love the sound of his own voice, though Uxia found it irritating. And why was he so excited at the idea of touching a spear?

"Don't call me dear, either. What do you plan on doing with the minutes?" Uxia did not  like surprises, especially not on the battlefield. She had he doubts this man could do anything useful.

She started to scan the area around them, debating where to go next. She needed to find the main demon, and fast, or all these little ones would wear her down.

Oi, why couldn't she just say 'yes'? Oh, well. Hopefully she would believe him.

"Well, first I'm gonna get naked," Hatame said, grinning and waggling his eyebrows at her before  another distant, demonic cackle sobered him up again. "And then I'm gonna shift. See, I'm really a gryphon, but I can't really shift when I'm being gnawed on. So like I said, if you can buy me some time, I can do it, and then I can help."

The naked comment got no reaction from Uxia, as she just looked at him, waiting for him to go on. As a warrior and a healer, she was used to people being naked and didn't really consider it all that sexual. The demonic cackle did cause her eyes to flicker in the direction of the demon, but it was too far away to be much concern.

"A gryphon? Interesting. I have never seen a live one before. Well, since you are so slow, I suppose I will have to buy you the time." If she had a gift like that, there was no way she wouldn't have learned to fight in both forms. Useless man.

She kept her spear ready as she started walking deeper into the mountains. She would see if following her nose would lead her to the demon. Find the biggest concentration of demonic energy and hope it was him.

Hatame blinked. Never seen a live one? So was she saying she'd seen dead ones? The thought made him shudder, for he knew that some places hunted gryphons for sport, but he pushed it out of his mind and focused back onto the present.

"Thanks, doll!" he called as she started to head away, and after another glance around the area, ears straining for signs of life, he was quick to shed his clothes. They were the one pair he had with him and he didn't want to get stuck wandering around naked again, as often seemed to happen between he and Sakkata.

He pushed that thought out of his head, because now was not the time to be worrying or thinking about her. She would be fine, and he had to make it through this if he wanted to see her again.

While Uxia went off, Hatame closed his eyes and focused, concentrating hard as he willed his body to remember its true shape, imagining how his wings felt, his fur and feathers, his talons and claws gripping the ground. It required all of his attention.

It took a few minutes of concentration, the lengthening of bones and muscle and growing of fur and feather and claw and beak, but before long a man was no longer standing there, but a fully grown gryphon, built larger than a male lion and closer in size to a small horse. It was black all over, save for some streaks of white in its mane—just as Hatame had black hair with white bangs. The beaded strand of hair was still there, the beads dangling from a strip of mane, and there were several places where the fur was thin, the flesh beneath scarred from old fights.

Hatame took a moment to stretch his spine and unfurl his wings, fanning them to loosen up the unused muscles, and when he was satisfied he launched himself into the air and took off in the direction that Uxia had gone.

And it was a good thing he got there when he did.

Several demons were trailing behind her, stalking her through the underbrush. It was a good thing he had an eagle's eyes, because they were moving soundlessly, while ahead of her, hidden from view, another demon chattered noisily in a strange way that made it sound like there were more of them, trying to draw her attention there while the others ambushed her.

Not happening.

Tucking in his wings, Hatame pulled himself into a dive and fell, wicked talons extended, and he sank those talons deep into one of the trailing demons before it even realized what hit it. A quick slash of his beak, and its throat was shredded, leaving it twitching and bleeding in its death throes.

The other demon reacted, though, and leaped onto his back just as he finished the first one, and with a snarl Hatame wheeled around and threw it off so it smashed head first against a tree. "Watch out!" he called, the faint hissing, trilling accent he had as a human sounding much thicker in this form.

Uxia had been stalking the demon ahead of her, completely unaware of the demons behind her. She was focused on the demon "pack" in front of her. When there was the sudden sound of combat and the acidic scent of the demons blood, the warrior quickly spun around, spear at ready.

And was confronted by her first ever real life gryphon. Tearing into the demons. Well, he seemed to be actually useful in this form, as two were already down. But there were more. A quick sprint and then Uxia had reached them, spear twirling and dancing through them, chanting spells that caused the demons to shriek and writhe, a few of them began to vomit up their insides.

It didn't take her long to reach the gryphon, but the pack was still around, though in much worse shape. A few stumbled around, their guts hanging from their mouths, but while most of the demons were injured, not many had been outright slain.

"Maybe you aren't as useless as I feared." The woman actually smiled at Hatame before suddenly twisting, spear thrusting into the throat of another demon, the burning blood spraying over them.

Hatame was staring in a mixture of awe and horror as the demons started to throw up their intestines when he felt the pain.

It was all over, a horrible burning sensation stinging his tongue and mouth and claws, and he let out a hiss of pain and rubbed his beak on the ground to try and scrape off the blood. That had to be it; their blood was bad and he'd just sprayed it all over himself. Fantastic!

But there was no time, and he would just have to deal. As Uxia came over and actually complimented him—at least, it sounded like a compliment, sort of—he gave her the biggest grin he could muster with a beak instead of lips, which wasn't much of a grin at all.

"Told ya," he said, before whipping around and tearing another demon open from throat to groin and snarling again as more of that burning blood got on him, both from the one he killed and the one the woman stabbed. "Any sign of the leader? Their blood hurts! My tongue's gonna fall out," he whined, and then stuck it out for her to see. And the blood had, indeed, caused several cankers to form on the sensitive flesh.

Rhindeer

"No, no sign yet. I can't sense him through all these." She turned to look at Hatame's tongue, "Well, yes. It is acidic. Hadn't you figured that out? And it won't fall off. Even if it does, I can regrow you one if we get to it quickly."

Her own skin was burning, bits of her clothes and skin melted away by the blood. A large splash had hit one cheek and it was a vivid red color where the skin had been eaten away. But Uxia ignored the wounds, slashing open the face of one demon that got to close.

With the gryphon's help, they managed to destroy the rest of the pack, their mangled bodies pumping blood onto the ground, eating away at the soil. Panting, Uxia methodically cleaned her spear off before turning her attention to Hatame.

She was going to run out of energy if they didn't find that demon soon. No food or sleep since this had started and healing wasn't easy. She cupped the gryphon's face between her hands, warmth spreading into him as she healed his wounds.

For her own, she didn't bother wasting her energy on them, besides the one on her face. Nothing was serious and she could ignore the pain. She just wiped them clean and smeared a salve onto them that would help prevent them from scaring or getting an infection. The one on her cheek though, that small bit of her that she couldn't quite get rid of wouldn't let her risk that one scaring.

"Are you ready to move then?" She pointed in the direction she had been walking earlier, "I think the demon we want is over there."

Hatame was panting hard after the battle, feeling fatigue creep into his muscles, but at the very least the woman's healing had taking the edge off. He felt more alive when his body wasn't stinging with acidic blood, but he knew they needed to finish this fast. Much longer and he wouldn't be able to function; he needed food and especially water. Still, he tucked his wings in tight to his body and gave an all too human nod.

"Ready when you are," he breathed, and took a moment to stretch like a dog, head lowered, rear up, and spine flexing supplely, before he straightened and shook out his coat, sending a few flecks of blood flying like water. With another deep breath, he began to trot in the direction she had pointed. It would take too much energy to fly, and he needed to conserve what he had left.

Hopefully they would survive this—and hopefully destroying this thing would get them out of here.

The pair managed to move through the rest of the terrain without much incident, other than a few stealth kills they were able to pull off. Being in this place was wearing on Uxia, the strain of all the healing she had done, plus the fighting and her wounds burned, even with the salve on them.

But they were getting closer, the demonic energy getting thicker, almost cloying. She shook her head, trying to clear her head of it all. She motioned Hatame to get low and she crawled up the ridge, peering over the side.

The demon was there, a huge, bloated thing curled in the valley between two small outcroppings. It looked like some larva gone very wrong, though there appeared to be a humanoid figure from the hips up attached to the creature. Its swollen body was a mixture of mud browns, blacks and vivid, neon blues and acid greens, vicious looking spikes protruding from it. The humanoid torso had the same color patters as the rest of him and lacked real arms. From the elbows down, the demon had wicked looking scythe blades where his arms would have been.

"There." Uxia's voice was a low hiss, "He is the one we must kill. Do not be fooled by his size, he is fast and he is very deadly. And a strong mage."

The knight closed her eyes for a moment, making a quick prayer to the gods before suddenly bursting over the ridge, screaming out a spell that made her spear blaze with white light before it was buried deep into the fleshy body of the demon. Dark, burning blood fountained up and the demon gave a high pitched, inhuman shriek of rage, his tail thrashing as he tried to dislodge Uxia.

Rhindeer

Fast, large, strong, deadly, and a powerful mage.

Oh, joy and jubilation. Uxia made it look so easy.

Hatame spared only a second to pray to the gods that they make it out of this alive before he launched himself over the ridge, wings snapping open as he took to the air. Might as well put his last shreds of strength toward something useful.

Wings working powerfully, he gained altitude as Uxia struggled with the creature below and distracted it, and when he'd peaked high above them, he took careful aim before he tucked his wings in and dropped like a stone. Falling fast, the wind whipping through his fur and whistling in his ears, he extended his front legs, the ones shaped like an eagle's feet and tipped with long, dangerously hooked talons, and aimed for the creature's head.

Anonymous

The thrashing body under her was making it hard to stay on. Uxia gripped the spear with one hand, drawing a sword with her other hand. Hatame had the torso occupied, and Uxia kept chanting her spell, bright, positive energy spilling through the spear and into the bloated body of the demon.

The beast shrieked in anger, the spikes on his back extending, coming for Uxia. Twisting, the hunter managed to avoid it, though one went through her shirt, missing her flesh by a hairsbreadth, "The heart! Go for the heart!"

Rhindeer

The heart? Hatame registered Uxia's words right before he struck, talons lashing out at the creature that screeched in agony. Dropping down on it, he sank his talons into the thing's shoulders and hung onto its torso, raking his clawed hind feet down its back and leaving long, deep red tracks behind. His worked furiously to keep his balance as the thing twisted and shrieked, trying to dislodge him.

It screamed even louder when he twisted around and jabbed out its eyes with his hooked beak, and tore flesh from its face. Acidic blood sprayed him and filled his mouth as he slashed the thing, soaking through fur and feathers and burning the skin beneath, but he held on.

Hopefully if it couldn't see, it would have a harder time striking him when he went for its front...

He had hardly finished that thought when one of the creature's shrieks turned into a word, and a blast of something struck Hatame and knocked him to the ground, sending him rolling. Thankfully, he had time enough to tuck in his wings and save them from snapping, just barely.

Hatame sprang back to his feet with a hiss, head hurting, body aching, and burns stinging, but there was no time to care about it. This could be it. Shaking his head to clear it, he started his charge, spreading his wings as he ran in preparation for flight.

And the thing started to chant, its ruined, bloody mouth forming garbled, wet words in some archaic tongue. Deep inside him, he felt a pull, right at the very core of his being, and it filled him with a jolt of primal fear. He didn't know what it was, but it quickly going from discomfort to pain--a deep pain that transcended the flesh--and he knew that if they didn't kill this thing now, they would die.

Anonymous

Uxia wasn't able to pay Hatame much attention, cursing as she tried to block to spikes. Then the world exploded in pain, something pulling at a place deep inside her, a private place. She felt violated in a way she never had before. She screamed, dropping down to her knee, one of the spikes slamming into her shoulder.

She didn't even notice it, the pain nothing compared to what she was feeling. The spear in her hands flickered, then went dark, no longer burning with the bright light of her healing magic. Clinging to her spear, she screamed again, body jerking in pain. Something was wrong, something was very, very wrong.

Rhindeer

The pain was growing unbearable, and Hatame let out an animalistic shriek of agony and stumbled as he ran, getting a mouthful of dirt. He could hear Uxia screaming and fear squeezed his heart until he thought it might burst, but, hissing in pain, he struggled to his feet. His limbs felt like water and he could feel himself weakening as though his life were draining from him. He didn't know what that demon had done, but he did know that they'd both die if it wasn't stopped.

And he didn't want to die here. Didn't want to die at all. He was far past that stage in his life where he longed to end it and now he craved life more than ever. He was not going to let some ugly slug-ass bastard deliver the final blow after everything he'd been through! How mortifying would that be?

With a scream of rage and hurt, an alien sound somewhere between an eagle's screech and a lion's roar, he lunged to his feet and beat the air with his wings, taking off unsteadily. It hurt, white-hot agony spearing through him and sending waves of dizziness rolling over him, but he managed to get airborne, managed a labored ascent. It took far less effort to pull his wings in and let himself fall, and luckily he managed at least that much before he felt his strength fail him completely.

He went for its front this time, a dangerous decision, but one he had no choice but to make. It would kill him if he miscalculated--but it would be over, anyway, if he didn't try. The demon saw him coming this time and lashed out at him with its scythe-like arms and he gave a cry as the blade dug into his shoulder.

But he'd also managed to sink his claws into the beast's chest.

Snarling, his beak followed, tearing deep into the creature's chest, scissoring the flesh and ripping deep into the cavity. Bones crunched as he snapped at the breast-bone, twisting his head savagely. His beak was designed to tear into a body like butter, and he put it to full use now, using his claws to open to the wound even more.

The thing screamed but he didn't relent, blood gushing over him, burning him.

And then his beak plunged into its heart.

Anonymous

Just as suddenly as the pain had come, it was gone. Uxia's head swam, her heart pounding, vision swimming. She was dimly aware of the Hatame's shrieks and the spasms coming from the demon. Fighting down the urge to be sick, Uxia hauled herself up, using the spear for support.

And realized two things at once. That the demon was rapidly dying, it's heart pulverized by Hatame's deadly beak and that she was very aware of all of Hatame's aches and pains. She could feel the fear, excitement and and pain from him.

That, was not right. Gasping, her voice rough from screaming, Uxia stared at him, "What...did you do?"

Rhindeer

Hatame sprawled out on the ground, exhausted and in pain, the blood still burning him. His sides heaved with his labored breaths, and more blood trickled from the fresh wound in his shoulder. It took every last ounce of energy to remain standing--and even that didn't last long as he slowly sank down into a crouch, head hanging.

It was dying. It was over. That awful pain was no more.

And then Uxia spoke, and Hatame's head jerked back up. "What?" His voice came out hoarse and breathless, wings drooping. "What did I do? I killed it...I think," he said, looking at its twitching body. Death throes, he hoped.

Anonymous

Leaving her spear stuck deep inside the dead demon, Uxia moved closer to Hatame, drained and worn out. Unlike Hatame, she had only minor injuries, she was just on her last legs, having little to eat and little sleep since arriving in this place and pumping most of her magic into the demon.

But she still had some left. Dropping heavily onto her knees, she reached out, pressing a hand against the gryphon's head, "You did. But why can I feel your hurts? What did you do?"

Taking a deep breath, Uxia steadied herself, drawing upon her last reserves of power to start carefully healing Hatame. She was going to be useless after this, but the gryphon was in bad shape and she could already feel the false world the monster had made collapsing. They should be safe now.

Rhindeer

"What? My hurt?" Hatame grimaced as he felt his wounds start to knit back together, the sensation painless but strange. Somewhere beyond his own stinging pain he was aware of another presence, feelings that weren't his, but he hadn't yet made the connection Uxia had. "Are you, uh...are you saying you can feel my pain?"

And then as his own injuries lessened, the sensation hit him. Fatigue, hunger, fading excitement. None of those were his; he had eaten not long ago and had slept well before he ended up here, though he was tired from the fight. But that feeling wasn't his; it was somewhere inside him yet outside him, disconnected, existing on some plane parallel to him...

A hissed gasp escaped him and he shook his head in denial. "I didn't do anything, Uxia. I...I killed the thing. I tore it up. I...I don't know what that is. I didn't do it, though!"

Anonymous

Uxia's hands were starting to shake and her naturally pale skin was looking a little grey. She was able to heal most of Hatame's wounds, but not all of them, a few minor cuts and sores were left when she dropped her hands away from him.

It would be easier to blame him, but she didn't really think it was the gryphon, it reeked to much of demonic energy, "I don't know what happened, but I think that demon did something. A curse maybe?" Uxia swayed slightly, her vision fading for a second before she caught herself, gritting her teeth. She wasn't done yet.

"We should be able to get out of here soon. Where is the heart? We should collect it if we can."

Rhindeer

Hatame shivered as the healing finished, feeling stronger now that he was no longer riddled with pain. Still sore, yes, but no longer in agony.

Shaking out his fur, he slowly climbed to his feet and swayed a little as those foreign emotions roiled with dizziness. It was so strange feeling on two completely different levels. "A curse...? Oh, shit," Hatame growled, closing his eyes. "It was chanting something, Uxia. I dunno what, but...toward the end. It started saying something I couldn't understand. That's when everything started to hurt..." He shook his head and cracked his eyes open again, peering at Uxia sideways, birdlike.

"We can figure it out later. I'll get the heart and you..." He frowned as well as a gryphon could frown. "You don't look well. Just wait and I'll get it."