Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Moonlight on dark water (Rhi-Rhi)

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2010, 05:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Shaking her head, Uxia forced herself to her feet, her legs trembling with the effort. She had pushed herself to far and she knew better. She would sleep later, "Yes. Heart. Grab it and let's get out of here. It's unhealthy in this place."

It was a strange sight, watching the world fade away, the dark, colorless world the demon had made bleeding away to reveal the serine landscape of the Thunderbacks. The air started to feel lighter, easier to breathe.

"Hurry. It's body will most likely vanish with the realm." She glanced over, her odd colored eyes watching the gryphon, "Thank you. For your help."

Rhindeer

Hatame shivered again as the false world began to melt away, but Uxia didn't have to tell him twice. Limping toward the body, he tore into the cavity his claws and beak had revealed and severed the mangled heart, plucking it up and carrying it back to his partner. It tasted horrible, bitter and rotten, but at the very least its blood was no longer burning; even as he watched, the demon's body began to fade and grow transparent...

Pausing beside Uxia, he held out a dexterous foreclaw and spat the heart out into it, clutching it between his eagle-like talons. The demon's body was almost completely gone now and more and more light was filtering in, golden daylight as opposed to this world's dull darkness. Hatame had to squint against it, but he managed to work a wink in there as he looked over at Uxia.

Which probably looked weird, coming from a gryphon.

"For you, m'lady, I'd kill ten thousand of those things across a hundred colorless worlds," he said, dipping his head in a mock bow--which he regretted, as it made his head swim. He grimaced and closed his eyes until it stopped. "But, uh, since that's over with, where do we go? What do we need this for, anyway?" he added, indicating the heart.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Uxia blinked at Hatame, not really sure what to make of that comment. People didn't really talk to her like that and it threw her a little. But there was little time for that. Her backpack had survived well enough and she went through it, pulling out an odd metal box.

Placing the heart inside, she sealed the box and replaced it in her bag, "It's very powerful. Demon hearts can be used for many things." Looking around, Uxia pointed in a direction. It didn't really matter, just away from the center, from the demon's world.

"There. Let's go." If she wasn't too turned around, that should be the direction of the town she and her team had stayed at. She glanced behind her, feeling a sharp pain of grief and guilt. They had been good companions and it hurt her they were gone. She would have to come back, try and find them once she wasn't about to collapse.

Rhindeer

If Hatame had eyebrows, he would have raised them. Taking a demon heart to use it? For what? Hatame could see no good reason to keep one of those around instead of destroying it, because what purpose could you use it for? Dark magicks? Surely no good could come from something like that.

Fluffing up his feathered mane, he watched Uxia pack the heart away but kept his thoughts to himself. Now wasn't the time to voice them. Even if they weren't in a bad spot, he just didn't have the energy; every muscle felt sore and inflamed, his mouth felt cracked and dry with thirst, and as the rush of battle wore off, now he just wanted to sleep. Then eat. Maybe in reverse order, he wasn't sure yet.

He bumped his side against her, cat-like, as he fell into step beside her. "You haven't taken much healing. Are you gonna be alright?" he asked, tilting his head so he could peer up at her with one bright green eye.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Me? I'm fine." Uxia kept her eyes straight ahead, her voice tight. She had been with her friends for a while and now they were dead. And she finally had time to feel that. Uxia just felt...empty. Drained and worn out and painfully lonely.

Normally she hated being touched by people she didn't know. But right then, the warm gryphon was a nice reminder that she wasn't alone just then. Still not looking at him, her eyes fixed ahead, she rested a hand lighting against him, "After we rest a bit. I need to go back. Before the animals come."

She couldn't carry them back to town, so she would have to burn them. Burn Ja'lar and Mitzka.

Anonymous

Hatame let out a small huff of breath. He highly doubted her sincerity; Uxia didn't look fine and the way she looked everywhere but at him solidified it. While gryphons didn't make much eye contact with each other, as too much was considered a sign of hostility, he'd learned over his time amongst humans that it was quite the opposite for them.

But before he could call her on it, she spoke, and it took him a moment to get what she was talking about. "What? Come back? Why would you wanna--"

It clicked then. Before the animals come. The corpses he'd seen. A sick feeling tugged at his gut and he snapped his beak shut. There had been no time to think of make connections before and it had never occurred to him that those bodies had any relation to her.

That she knew them.

Glancing up at her again, he gave her hand a light headbutt and nuzzled against her side, the most he could really do by way of comfort in this shape. "I'm sorry."

"It was not your fault. We were not strong enough." I was not strong enough. If she had gotten to them better, been stronger, maybe her companions wouldn't be dead. The world around them was getting clearer as they walked, the taint receding.

She just wanted to drop and sleep for a year. But that wasn't an option just yet. Once there was a little more distance between the tainted area, she would rest a few hours before going back. Just needed to keep walking.

"It's not yours, either," Hatame said, keeping pace with her and blinking as the area grew brighter, only a thin film of darkness remaining. It was eerie to watch, and probably would have been far more disconcerting were he not thoroughly exhausted, and had he not just fought a slug-bodied, scythe-armed demon.

He gave Uxia's hand another nudge. "Here, c'mon. Why don'tcha get on me? I've strength enough to carry you."

"What? No. I'm fine. I can walk." Uxia finally looked down at Hatame, somewhat startled by his offer. She had to admit, she did like him as a gryphon much better. He wasn't as...irritating when he was in this form.

"You sure?" Hatame gave her as skeptical a look as a gryphon's facial muscles could make. "It would be quicker this way."

"You are as tired as I am. Over burdening you wouldn't help any." There was little sign now of the demon's world left, though the air was still oddly quiet. No animals were around, no sounds beyond the ones the two of them made.

She had a point there, he'd admit, but he still didn't like it. Tail lashing behind him, anxious to put as much distance between the slaughtering ground and them, he gave a small nod.

"And overtaxing yourself won't help any, either. You need rest."

"Yes. And I will rest when we are away from this place. We wont have to go far, the world will be gone soon, only a small scar left on the land." Ja'lar would have been able to heal that, but that was beyond the scope of her magic.

Silence settled, both to worn out to talk much as they walked. Eventually, Uxia had to stop. Her legs were trembling with exhaustion and she knew she had reached her limit. "Here. We need to stop now."

Without waiting for a response from Hatame, Uxia dropped down, slightly clumsy as she hit the ground. She needed rest, and food, but she had run out of food back in the demons world. And she could feel....Hatame still. His fatigue was blending with her own and it was...strange.

As soon as Uxia said they needed to stop, Hatame dropped down heavily beside her with a loud sigh of relief. His muscles burned from exertion and his breathing came in short bursts even though he'd only been walking. It probably didn't help that his exhaustion wasn't the only he felt--he could still feel Uxia there, her aches and weariness, her hunger, her pain blending with his own.

He stretched out next to her and let his wings half unfold, head resting on his clawed front feet. Even if he had the energy to shift right now, he didn't have the energy to care enough to bother. Besides, with his clothes long gone it would just be cold sitting around in his skin.

"I can still feel you," he muttered into his paws, and he could feel her more than ever now that he was resting.

Nodding, Uxia removed her weapons, laying them out and shucking her backpack off before curling up, head resting on the backpack, "Yes. I still don't understand it." It was cold out and Uxia shifted, moving closer to the warm griffon, her back pressed against him.

She wanted to probe more into the spell, see what she could figure out about it, but her worn out body couldn't take it. She had been up for days, no food and utterly drained after that fight. It wasn't long before she was fast asleep, snoring softly.

As soon as Hatame felt Uxia relax against him and heard her breathing even out into soft snores, felt the signals along their...connection...calm down, he shifted closer and curled his body around her. The temperature was dropping and while his thick fur and plumage was keeping him warm, he knew how frail human bodies were.

Lifting one large wing, he lightly draped it over her body. But even then, it was a while before he slept, and he only half-slept. They were in a strange place and he wasn't fully convinced that there weren't still beasts and things prowling around and there were some pretty large natural predators skulking through these mountains.

Besides, he hadn't been the one that had lost people he knew and cared about, and he could feel that not all of Uxia's pain was physical.

The warrior slept for a few hours, nuzzling tighter to Hatame as the temperature dropped and her dreams grew darker. Having another living body next to her helped, though her expression was still dark and small sounds would escape her.

Still, after a few hours, Uxia woke up, adjusting quickly to realize where she was and that Hatame's wing was stretched out over her. She was still drained, her body still sore, but she wasn't ready to drop. There was enough energy to do what needed to be done.

Sitting up, Uxia felt Hatame wake up, both physically and sensed it along the link. She was going to have to explore that more, but taking care of her companions and finding food were higher on her list.

"Hatama. I'm going to be back. You can wait here."

Rhindeer

When Uxia sat up, the movement roused Hatame from his sleep as she jostled his wing--and he hadn't been sleeping deeply, anyway, his senses on edge. Eyes fluttering open, he blinked blearily and cracked his beak open in a jaw-creaking, tongue-curling yawn. He still felt like he could sleep for the next few days and yet already his muscles were tensed in preparation to flee or move.

Somewhere deep inside him, he felt the sensation echo in his mind along that invisible link, foreign yet familiar, and knew it as Uxia.

"Huh?" he murmured, still blinking the sleep from his eyes. He lowered his head and rubbed his face between both fore-claws, drawing his wing back in against his body so Uxia could get up. Hatama? Really? Looking back up at her, he shook his head to try and clear it.

"What? Where're ya going? And it's Hatame. Hah-TAH-may. Not Hatama. Hatame."

Anonymous

"That's what I said. Hatama." Uxia wasn't really paying much attention to Hatame at the moment. She was still exhausted and running on empty. Three days of non-stop fighting with little sleep and less food was taking it's toll. But before she was willing to deal with those issues, she needed to take care of...her friends.

Shouldering her pack, Uxia let her hair out of it's braid, quickly redoing it so that it wasn't falling out, "I need to go...take care of a few things." Despite her steady voice, a sharp spike of guilt and pain came off Uxia down the link she and Hatame shared.

Rhindeer

"No, you said--never mind." Hatame groaned and shook his head, still trying to orient himself. Right now he just didn't have the energy to press the issue, especially not when faced with the wave of emotion that filtered down their link.

And he had a good idea of what, exactly, she had to tend to.

With another groan, he pushed himself to his feet and shook out his coat, dust and grass flying off his fur. His muscles ached in protest but he did his best to ignore it. "You shouldn't go alone."

Anonymous

The look Uxia gave Hatame wasn't very friendly as she tied off her hair, "I do not need a babysitter. I am perfectly capable of defending myself." She was tired, yes, but so was he and she wasn't about to let some gryphon act like she was some princess.

She wrinkled her nose as the dust from Hatame hit her, but she was already filthy, so it didn't matter much. Without waiting for a response, Uxia headed off toward where her friends bodies were.

Rhindeer

Hatame winced at her look. "That's not what I meant, I just--"

But already she was heading away from him, and Hatame wisely stayed put. While he worried that she wouldn't be able to defend herself if something happened, he didn't yet know her well enough to push the issue. Sure, that hadn't stopped him before...but when it was an issue of dead companions, he didn't want to intrude on such a private issue where he clearly wasn't wanted.

Anonymous

Uxia was glad the gryphon didn't push the issue. Heading back the way she came, the sleep had helped her get some of her energy back. She still needed food, but that would just have to wait. She was once again glad she wasn't built like most Serenians, which her thick curves able to feed her for a time.

The walk was mostly a blur, lost in her own thoughts. Her companions were dead, gone. She had failed them. It wasn't hard to find them, now that the demon realm was gone. And thank the stars that the taint still lingered enough that animals hadn't come.

Though...the demons had already done a bit of work on her friends. She found Mitzka first, his body almost unrecognizable, torn apart by demons. Reaching down, Uxia stroked a hand across the pale white blond hair that still remained, whispering a few, personal words to her friend. Then she dug into her tapped supplied of magic for just enough to burn the body. It was a spell the Order had made and taught to the Knights. Too often, they lost their fellows in combat and while bodies couldn't make it home, their ashes would.

Finding an empty box, Uxia carefully gathered as many of Mitzka's ashes as she could, blinking back her tears. To cry was to show weakness and she would be strong for them. She found and burned Ja'lar's body in a similar manner.

By then, the Knight just felt empty. There was nothing left inside her. The pain was buried under layers of exhaustion and fatigue. "Good-bye. I failed you, but I will bring you home with honor. Your deaths weren't in vain."

From the time she left, Uxia was gone only a few hours, but when she returned to where Hatame was, she looked even worse. Her movements were stiff, her body burning through fumes to keep her going.

"I'm finished. Let's leave this place." She reached up, a hand covering her belly, "I need to eat."

Rhindeer

Even if Hatame couldn't follow Uxia, he found that, with their strange new connection, he could still keep tabs on her. He wasn't trying to eavesdrop; he just could find no way to block or control what he felt coming from her down the line.

He spent those hours curled up and dozing lightly, just enough to rest and try to regain his strength but not enough that he'd fall asleep in case trouble struck. Once he woke up to the smell of ash and saw fire burning in the distance, followed by another sometime after. Controlled fires. It had to be Uxia's doing, for he felt no surprise or panic from her; just the same deep sorrow that felt, uncomfortably, like it was his own. It was strong and, unused to it as he was, it was difficult to tell where her emotions ended and his began.

Hatame had begun to doze off again when Uxia returned, and he jolted into wakefulness and clambered to his feet, still exhausted but no longer feeling ready to drop. Emptiness had replaced sadness all along their connection, but she looked terrible. The trip back to her friends' bodies, and the emotional strain of it all, couldn't have been easy on her.

Walking over to her, Hatame lightly butted his head against her hand in what he meant as a comforting gesture. If she didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't force her to. And besides, he was better at actions than words, in showing that he understood as opposed to talking about it.

"Yeah, you do," he agreed. "Now c'mon. I just lazed around while you were out and about. It really will be faster if I carry you."

Anonymous

When she felt his head against her hand, Uxia absently stroked the feathers there. It was strange to touch him, he didn't really feel like anything she was used too. His offer to carry her had her narrow her eyes slightly, mouth ready to refuse, but she paused, considering.

She wouldn't be able to make it far and practicality won out over pride. "...Fine." Looking the gryphon over, Uxia wasn't ever really sure where to start. She hardly rode horses much, so the idea of trying to mount some gryphon was a little awkward.

"Is...there a trick to this?"

Rhindeer

"No trick. Not really," Hatame said, tilting his head so he could watch Uxia. Fanning his wings out, Hatame knelt down on his front knees and lowered his head in an effort to make this easier for her. "You just have to get on my back. Don't worry about being too heavy or hurting me or anything--er, not that I think you'd be heavy! You've some sexy curves but you're sure not chunky!"

Anonymous

Uxia blinked, startled by the comment and she could feel her ears getting warm. She wasn't used to people talking to her like that and it threw her. Choosing to ignore it for now seemed the best idea. Awkwardly straddling Hatame's back, she leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck, body pressed flat against him, "Like this?"

Rhindeer

Hatame gave a tired smile. Or rather, he would have smiled if he had the lips to do so. Was she blushing? Another time, and Hatame would have commented on that, but they were both exhausted--and she had just dealt with murdered friends.

To that, he could fully relate, and he felt his chest tighten painfully at the thought. That had happened in the mountains, too...

Before he could explore that thought too deeply, he shoved it to the back of his mind and focused again on his new companion. Once Uxia was on board, he folded his wings back tight against his body and straightened back up, a little surprised by how heavy she was. Alright...so maybe he'd lied about the heavy bit; he'd completely forgotten to account for muscle. But he was strong and he'd supported heavier; the most difficult part was remembering he had a rider and not doing anything that would throw them.

"Yep, exactly like that. Got a good grip?" he asked as he started off at a trot, letting her adjust to the feel of riding something with a lion's body and letting him adjust to her weight.

"Sorry this isn't really relaxing; I imagine it's pretty bumpy back there. But at least you get to relax a little?"

Anonymous

It was down right uncomfortable. Cat's bodies were not made for a smooth ride and Uxia was going to be sore when this was over. But it was a lot easier than walking. "It's fine. You just have a gait like a hiccuping mule."

She needed to get away from him soon. He threw her off balance too much, with his odd comments about her eyes and her curves. Though, for a moment, Uxia felt something very lonely and sad and it took her a moment to realize it had come from Hatame.

Unsure what had caused it, she didn't ask. Instead, Uxia just attempted to use her rather...limited social skills to distract, "So, why where you in the mountains?"

Rhindeer

"Excuse me, but I believe you meant feline grace and poise." Though to be honest, not even he could fool himself into believing it was a comfortable ride. Hatame's back wasn't broad like a horse's and he was all hard muscle, sinew, and bone. But Uxia wouldn't have to endure that for much longer; as they crested a hill, Hatame's keen eagle-eyes caught sight of a village below, probably no more than two miles away.

Gods, but he couldn't wait to just eat and sleep and--

"Hm?" Hatame peeked back at Uxia, then faced forward again and upped his pace a little. "Oh, well, just came to hunt is all. There's some good hunting up here!" It was half the truth. He didn't think now was the appropriate time to bring up the other. "What about you?"

Anonymous

"I would have thought that was obvious." Uxia snorted, wincing as Hatame moved. He moved like a hunter and that meant a jarring ride. But it wasn't so bad, she had actually rode horses with worse, but she didn't really want to tell him that.

"My...companions and I were sent here to hunt and kill that demon." She had just assumed Hatame would recognize the symbol she wore on the loincloth. After all, who wouldn't know the Order of the Moon?