Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All About Rain [Lion]

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Without thinking about it, Evadne had stuffed the clothes back on the shelves and found she was hugging herself while she watched Taladan leave the room. Apparently he had seen fit to dress himself rapidly while she was turned around. She was definitely not accustomed to see naked men, and it was a mild shock to her. Of course, she knew what they looked like. She had studied, seen it in art, books, pictures etcetera. But she had to admit this was entirely different. Such impact, Evadne thought while she thoughtlessly stripped herself of her clothes and piled them up on the floor. She put on a pair of black linen pants, pleated at the knees, and donned a blouse similar to the one before, only now it was dark green. Barefooted she opened the door again, and walked in the combined living room/kitchen, tossing a blanket from her cupboard on her father's comfy chair. As soon as she laid eyes on Taladan, she felt the blush rush back up her cheeks. Just what I need, she thought cynically. Evadne dropped her wet clothes in the basket that was meant for it and then gestured behind her vaguely.

"You can go in now... I am finished. I won't uhm... disturb you again like that." She coughed quietly to hide her embarrassment.

Lion

There wasn't much for him to do out there while he waited.  But just what was he waiting for, he couldn't say.  Taladan whistled a tune quietly to himself while she changed, inspecting his hands almost as if he were some kind of prissy nobleman.  It was only a matter of time before he heard the door be thrown ajar and she appeared, coming to sit on a plush chair.  Hm...there was something about her attitude that suddenly gave him an idea.

She was still flustered obviously.  He knew what could easily remedy that.  "You know, Evadne.  You don't mind if I call you that do you?  You know, I think you need to relax...And I know just the thing.  Do you happen to have any small cups do you?  And some beer?  Perhaps an ale or a strong wine?  I know a little game we can play to help you relax.  But only if you're interested of course."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Evadne stared at him, forgetting how to breathe for a moment. SERIOUSLY?! This was the man who they carried in with great difficulty, whose vomit she had just cleaned up and who had just profusely apologized for his drunkenness. He had some serious guts in suggesting this now, and Evadne didn't know if this was positive or negative. Her father would never forgive Taladan if he found out he got drunk again on his premises, and certainly not her for drinking along. Yet something in Evadne was pushing against that limit. After all, she had just made herself a promise to give this man a chance. And her father never woke once he fell asleep. On top of that, if she played along she could at least keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't get too shitfaced. Pondering, she gazed at the windows. The storm was still raging around the house, and it probably didn't matter how much noise they made. The wind, rain and thunder were enough to mask it.

"Well... why not?" Evadne thought out loud. Still not entirely sure if what she was doing was smart, she took a large bottle of port from a kitchen cabinet and put it on the small table that was in between her own comfy chair and her father's. "Think you can work with that?" she challenged, looking straight in Taladan's eyes.

Lion

Still unsure whether or not she would be up to it, really.  It was just a matter of simple speculation and he thought he would offer his proposal on the slight off-chance that she actually would say 'yes.'  Like a complete stranger asking another complete stranger for a quick lay without any real logical motive.  Taladan was also quite aware, from the way her father had shunned him earlier, that he was really pushing the limit with such a daring proposal.  To think that he even said it as one thing, that she might actually accept was quite another.

All he could do was smile when she did however nodding.  "Well, good.  That's good."  And he got up and sat opposite where she did when she finally came back with the port.  Her dead-eye gaze was sharp and he met it as a kind of challenge.  He put a harmless hand up.  "All right there, woman, take it easy.  This is perfectly fine.  Better in fact.  Anyway, the name of the game is 'Lying Truths.'  Pretty simple.  All we do is take turns saying something about ourselves and the other has to guess whether or not if it's the truth or a lie.  Say I say something and you guess it's a lie.  If you're right, I have to take a swig.  If you're wrong you have to take a drink.  Get it?  Oh and the game's over when either the port's gone or one of us just collapses to the ground.

"Okay I'll go first.  Something easy.  My hair is naturally black.  Now you have to guess."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Hehe. At least he had taken notice of the warning in her eyes. Evadne was satisfied with his reaction to her relentless gaze and blinked contently before returning to her chair.

Lying Truths. Okay. Evadne took the blanket and wrapped it around her legs before sitting down. At least it sounds innocent enough. She flushed again when she thought about the exponentially less innocent moment in her room just now. Quickly, she banished it from her mind and focused on Taladan. He seemed pleased that she'd agreed to play. Evadne pulled her legs on the chair and grinned.

"Truth," she said. His hair seemed to rough and messy to do anything at all with it. But she had to admit, it suited him.

[OOC: I'm assuming Taladan's gonna have to take a shot, so I'm just going to continue with Evadne's question if you don't mind. I can delete the next section later if you like.]

With mixed feelings, she watched Taladan take a shot from the bottle and pushed her hand through her own hair while trying to think of something obscure about herself. There was no way she was going to make it easy for him. And besides, she was a cheap drunk, so the risk was possibly greater for her.

"I have another sister, but she's already married," Evadne tried, keeping her face as stoic as possible.

Lion

[Not a problem.  I'm fine with small assumptions like that.]

Taladan nodded.  "You're right.  And here I go taking a drink."  He dunked a bit of the drink into his mouth and swallowed it like it was water.   It felt almost refreshing even, though he would never admit it.  He gestured for her to take her turn, setting the bottle between them once more, leaving its stopper off the top.

Another sister, eh?  This one he had to think about for a while for though, he didn't know her, basically at all, he instead thought about the relationship between her and her father.  He sensed an automatic closeness between them, something that could easily be offset if she had more siblings.  He himself was an only child and was the only target of affection by his parents.

So Taladan sat back and grinned widely.  "If you had a sister, I could tell already that you would be the prettiest of the two.  But I think you're lying."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne blinked. How on earth could he know she was lying? This was either a fortunate guess, or he was extremely observative. Slowly she reached for the bottle, never breaking eye-contact until the last moment. Well, here I go, she thought, reluctantly gazing at the bottle. Putting the bottle against her lips, she took a sip, making a face as she put the port back on the table and swallowed. She had never been a big fan of port, but she decided she would have to get used to the taste. This game proved more dangerous than she had first thought. If Taladan was going to keep guessing as well as this, she would be drunk in no time.

"You're right," Evadne said when the taste got less strong in her mouth. "I don't have a sister. But it's your turn now. Bring it on," she added with a grin.

Lion

He would never mean for either one of them to get roaring drunk, it only brought back the constant reminder that the woman's stern father would most likely never approve, never let Taladan back into the house again, and who knows what else to his daughter.  He didn't think it was likely that the man would beat the shit out of her, he seemed to be something more of a best friend to her from the body language he'd read between them.  He probably wouldn't have to do more than shun her a little bit for it to be punishment.  Either way, Taladan had no distinct desire to get her into trouble.

He watched her drink with curiosity and he couldn't back his laugh by how her face looked.  He kept it low to a snicker, then holding back a strained smile that conveyed his obvious amusement.  "Alright, you got heart, I can admire that. Haha."  He sat back and took some time to think of his own statement.  "My father was a carpenter all through out his life, and I would help him in his workshop when I was a child."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

That was a tough one. Evadne gazed at Taladan, deep in thought. He did wear his clothes like the middle class did, so this could indicate to a craftsman father. The again, carpentry was not a profession that one would frequently drink with. But he was helpful, and did not seem afraid to get his hands dirty. And what he said was not easily made up just like that. Then again, this game was meant to design lies or truth in such a fashion that the other person would get it wrong. In conclusion, the only two clues she had were paradoxical. This would have to be a wild guess. Besides, it was a game. Don't take it too seriously, Eva! she reminded herself.

"Okay... I would say you are lying."

Hopefully, she gazed at Taladan's face, hoping he would be saying she was right.

Lion

If Taladan said he'd grown up pretty much poorer than dirt, he would not be speaking far from the truth.  It was a stretch, true, as his father made a somewhat moderate living doing what he did.  But it wasn't always enough to sustain their living.  But it was not as if he always had new clothes as a child, had a formal education, or learned to sing from the best bards.  Those things were hard to obtain and reserved only for those that could afford them.  Taladan was used to sewing patches in his clothes when his mother was too tired to do so, and accustomed to being taught his basic letters, words, and numbers in the home.   And he honestly didn't expect Evadne to really guess correctly on something as personal as that.

"Wrong!" he said bluntly, not afraid to gloat, at least a little where he'd earned it.  "My father was a carpenter and I did help him, many a time.   Sorry, but I hope you're a better guesser while drunk."

[Go ahead and do a time skip after this if you want]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

So he actually came from a decent, hard-working family. Evadne had to admit she was slightly surprised by this. If you asked her, she would probably guess his parents were just like him, travelling bards or something, or perhaps they owned an inn or a tavern. She shook her head incredulously, and took another sip of the port.

One hour, quite a few wrong guesses and three quarters of the bottle's contents later, Evadne found herself grinning from ear to ear. She had no doubt that she'd drunk more than Taladan, because somehow her guesses just kept getting worse. She raised her hands in the air defensively. "All right all right... you win," she surrendered. "I can't drink anymore, honestly. My father would kill me if he found out. And he'd kill you too," she added with a chuckle, somehow finding the image of her enraged father vs a rather tipsy Taladan very amusing.

"I should put that away," she frowned at the bottle, wondering if her father would notice they'd been drinking. Evadne stood up, but almost immediately fell back into the chair, finding her legs unusually wobbly. "That's not good," she muttered, but couldn't help but laugh at herself. "Lemme try that again," she said, holding on firmly to the chair's arms while she stood up and grabbed the bottle.

Lion

The more the port was depleted, the more information Taladan was spitting out.  But it wasn't as strong as he remembered it should have been or maybe the Elmari had jacked up his tastebuds.  Another reason he threw up, possibly.  But he just hoped that it wouldn't happen again.  It wasn't that he was starting to get drunk again, but the buzz that was growing in his head did make his words slur a little and he found he was laughing quite a lot.

"Kill me, hahahaha!"  he laughed.  "He'd be very much welcome too, yes Captain, sir Captain.  Blah, blah, blah...  C'mon let me help you get up.  You seem drunker than I am.  You're very drunk, my dear."  He stood up, less wobbly than she and steadied himself beside her, helping her up where she had trouble.  "Le't save the rest for another night, hehehehe.  And then off to bed with you!  I won't have any objections!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne sent a grateful smile his way when he came to help her, and with his help the bottle of port went back to where it belonged. She made sure to put it behind some other pots and pans, so that her father wouldn't find out for a long while that someone had emptied it. While she held on to Taladan's arm, she knew she should utterly ashamed of herself for behaving like this, but she couldn't find the appropriate feeling in her.

"Bed? Yeah, that would be nice... but wasn't there a reason why I had to sleep on the chair?" Evadne wrecked her brains to remember what it was, frowning as she did. "Oh yes! I had to sleep in a chair because... " she paused a moment to steady herself on her feet "... because YOU were sleeping in my bed! Which is totally unfair if you ask me," Evadne scowled in the direction of her father's room. "I should be able to sleep in my own bed, even if you are there."

Lion

He couldn't imagine what her father could thinking if he was hearing the ruckus they were making in the room outside.  At least they didn't break anything, right?  That should account for something as well as for Taladan making sure the Captain's tipsy daughter got back into bed safely.  He wasn't the type to take advantage of poor, defenseless drunk people, such behavior had a tendency to  ruin a good time.  Even if he was a bit of a ruffian, he'd grown to respect the Captain and his household over the course of his few hour stay here.

Taladan dragged Evadne carefully to her room, navigating as wobbly as he was, but managing quite well enough.  Her words surprised him and he nodded with a yes.  "I know, I know.  But even I think as a guest, I've been gracious enough to receive all of your hospitality.  Don't you deserve to sleep in your own bed?  I think so.  Gods, my head is pounding!  Gah, okay here is the bed."  He sat her down and waited until she lied down on her own before tucking her in.  "I'll take your place over there in the chair.  I've slept in worse places."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne smiled, barely able to see Taladan's face properly with the lack of both candle- and moonlight. She had never been tipsy before. When she drank anything at all, she usually stopped after one glass of something, and it was usually beer. Not the strong kind, either. Rules of etiquette didn't seem to matter anymore, because after all, who liked rules? They were a pain in the ass. Evadne's thoughts were incoherent, but her head was clear enough to realize that Taladan's plan was not an option. She gazed at him as he covered her with the blanket, realizing they smelled like him. Just before he retreated, Evadne caught hold of his hand.

"Honestly, I think my father would... would not... like me very much when I let you... sleep in the chair..." she said with some difficulty, feeling the sleep take hold of her. "You can stay, Taladan..." she mumbled, her voice trailing away. She didn't realize that she called him by his first name for the first time. She wasn't entirely asleep yet, but neither was she awake enough to think anymore.

Lion

His head was starting to spin more now and the bed looked very enticing from this angle.  For all he knew, he probably didn't even have the energy to make it to the chair in the other room.  It had been a very interesting night, both of pleasant (and awful) surprises and new people to get to know.  He was looking forward to his stay here for the next few days when his voice finally recovered.  And the rain didn't make for that bad of an excuse either.  And if they needed his help while he stayed, he didn't mind earning his keep either.

He half expected her to say what she did and didn't know exactly how to respond to something like that.  It wasn't that sex automatically clicked into his head or anything, yet there were certain assumptions to be had when a man shared a bed with a moment, especially when it wasn't his own.  Taladan grumbled and tried to slap himself awake.  Was that port a secret enchantment for sleep?  He crawled over her and lay by her feet, fully dressed and uncaring if he wrinkled them, where he collapsed into a deep, uneventful sleep.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ever so slowly, Evadne awake from a terribly deep sleep. Unwilling to move she just lay there in the semi-darkness, until she found the spirit to open her eyes. The rain was still relentlessly beating down on the land, and occasional thunderbolts still lit up the sky. That reminded her of yesterday. Something had happened, hadn't it? And something just didn't feel right. She was in her own bed, in her own room, and everything seemed normal. Until she sat up. That was when she saw Taladan Ewing lying on the end of the bed, still fast asleep. Evadne's eyes went wide in shock. Crap!

The memories of the port and the drinking game came flooding back into her mind as she stared at the motionless figure. Her father would kill her if he found out they'd been sleeping in the same bed! And if she remembered correctly, it was Evadne herself that had invited Taladan to do so...

The girl cringed, recalling her behaviour from last night. She wasn't much of a ladylike person, but this was way, WAY beyond her normal boundaries and even further beyond the boundaries of society. Evadne swallowed. Ever so careful, she slid her legs out from beneath the blankets, and placed her feet on the cold hardwood floor. Trying to make as little noise and sudden movements as possible, she stood up from the bed and wobbled, grabbing her head while she held on to the wall. The room was spinning like crazy. She stood still for a moment, her eyes closed, until the spinning went away. Then she made her way to the cupboard.

Listening intently to Taladan's breathing, she concluded he must still be asleep and silently opened the cupboard doors. She would have to change her shirt. As swiftly as possible, she helped herself out of the blouse she'd been sleeping in and changed it for one of her working shirts, simple black linen with long sleeves. She tucked it loosely in her pants and slipped in her riding boots. Then she stashed the blouse on a shelf in the cupboard and closed the door. For a moment, she thought she heard an interruption in Taladan's steady breathing, but when she stopped and listened it was as if it had never been there. Silently, she opened the door of her own room, but immediately closed it again and leaned against the wood, trying to control her own breathing. Her father was still in the living room! It had to be early still, because he always got up at six and started work at seven. There was only one option left. Evadne moved to the side of the room, to the window, and opened it. Immediately she had to grab hold of the frames, as the wind howled against them and the rain flew inside. Without caring about waking up Taladan any longer, she climbed through the window and shut them as firmly as possible. Her father might think she had been out long before him already, this way. Avoiding detection by ducking at every window frame, Evadne made her way to the barn, already soaking wet when she got there. But she was safe. She leaned against her horse's box and exhaled. That was lucky. Now the only thing left to do was hoping Taladan wouldn't be so stupid as to betray they'd been sleeping in the same bed, however innocently they did so.

Lion

The moment his consciousness drained away from him, Taladan was instantly asleep.  But it seemed, over the years of sleeping in ditches and dirt holes and forest floors, he trained his senses to forever be alert to the surroundings abound.  Slight sounds shifted his breathing and though he wasn't disturbed by Evadne moving away from him or from her dressing, he was faintly aware that somebody was moving around in the room.  As long as they didn't touch him, he was perfectly fine.  Taladan shifted in and out of a dreamlike state, perhaps something that might be described as half-asleep.  But still images of some beautiful girls and beer and dancing and laughter all crowded around in his mind, having a good time.  He smiled unconsciously and shifted in his sleep.  A recollection of some blacksmith's daughter's marriage probably.  He'd been hired as the entertainment for the celebration and slept with one of the bridesmaids several times.  And the beer!  It flowed better than the port...  Port?  Where did that come from?  He faintly recalled something about port and a dark haired woman...  It couldn't have been the bridesmaid, she was a blond...  Hm, curious.

Then he woke up suddenly, unsure exactly what sound or shuffle made him do so.  But he burst up from his position on his belly and stretched accordingly, his head spinning.  He groaned again and decided not to move so fast as the smell of vomit reached his nostrils despite the open window.  He stared at it confusedly and moved very slowly towards it before closing it.  The sound of the slat hitting the sill made him jerk up and hold his head at the noise.  "Gah!  Oh, my head feels terrible," he moaned and took a seat at the foot of the bed.  They were all shifted about like there was another person here.

That's when it came flooding back to him.  And a sudden laugh burst from his lips.  Evadne must have took off after realizing something she didn't want to remember.  Taladan was amused and held his head as the echo of his own laughter clamored in it as if it were a cave.  "Oh dear," he said then exited the room.  He opened it carefully and tried to make it seem as if he was still half-asleep.  When he saw her father he raised his hand in greeting.  "Good um...morning, Mr. Gabor.  Do you always get up this early?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Arthur looked up from his breakfast to see Taladan in the door opening. "Ah, Taladan," he said in greeting. He had no trouble calling the man by his first name, as he had to be at least 15 years younger than himself. "Yes, I do. Life in the countryside calls early. Actually, Evadne was already up and out when I got here." He finished the last piece of his toast and cheese, and pointed to the kitchen counter as he stood up.

"There's breakfast for you on the table. I figured I couldn't possibly send you home today, so you should stay a little longer. Perhaps you would like to go and help Evadne with the animals when you finish your breakfast? She should be in the barn."

Arthur donned his heavy raincoat and boots. "I have to go to town for some supplies. I should be back somewhere in the afternoon."

Lion

Taladan strode toward the food with a watering mouth and sat down without saying another word.  He ate voraciously and had hardly noticed that Evadne wasn't in the room.  He finished before Arthur left the room, and swallowed just in time to wave the captain goodbye.  That was a relief and now that that was over, he would put on his shoes (when he found them) and meet her in the barn.

"Goodbye, Mr. Gabor," he said before searching for his own sure to be mud-caked boots.  He found them just shortly before heading out.  The rain was a little lighter now but too heavy to leave the house for traveling long distances.  He didn't have much of a coat to protect himself but he made a mad dash for what he figured was the barn and burst through the open door soaking wet.

"Oh...." he said trying to catch his breath.  "Good morning, Evadne.  You're just as early as your father...  Um, what will we be doing today?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn