Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All About Rain [Lion]

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The barn's atmosphere was both humid and cold, and if it had been any bigger it would have been foggy. Evadne wrapped her arms around herself for a moment, but she knew what she would have to do to get warm. Both of the horses were in need of a clean stable and fresh hay to sleep in, so that would be a good start of the day. Next to that all the animals needed feeding and watering (watering?). The last part had practically already been covered by the buckets she had left outside yesterday. They were all filled with clear rainwater.

Evadne opened Romeo's box and pulled him out  by the rope around his neck. "Come boy," she said quietly, leading him to the back of the barn where she tied him to an iron ring in the wall. He'd have to wait until she was done. She just grabbed a hay fork from the supply room when the barn door flew open and Taladan came bursting in, complete with panting and wild eyes. Evadne jumped.

"Hello," she replied, a little taken aback. The scenes from the previous night played in fast-forward on her retinas. Quickly she turned to the hay fork, doing anything to avoid an awkward silence. "You could help me cleaning out the stables," she said, grabbing another hay fork before handing it to Taladan. She got out a wheelbarrow, navigating it towards the stables. "The hay and dirt go in there," she pointed, and wasted no more time in getting to work. The longer she waited, the more she started to shiver.

Lion

The barn might have had its own earned realm of cold humidity (or was it humid coldness) but at the very least, it was dry.  The roof was well done from what Taladan observed and though he rubbed his arms vigorously to encourage heat to return to flesh, no water leaked through.  This was a hell of a lot better than running around in the rain.  Taladan didn't own any water resistant clothing other than the leather of his boots and even those could get wet inside if he didn't secure their mouths right.  The buckle did well to keep his foot from sliding around...as well as trapping it in wet stockings.

But they were dry for now and that was what really mattered.  Taladan pushed back his long hair and squeezed out what water was in it as he awaited orders.  Scratching at his beard, he nodded to her and jog-walked to take a look at one of the stables and made a horrified face in response.  "We have to clean...that?" he asked, pointed to the mess in one of the stalls.  "Very well, might as well get started while we can.  What are these horses named by the way?"  Taladan grabbed the fork and steadied the grip in his hands.  He might not have done this before, but he could learn fast.  Carpentry work couldn't be all that different from farm work if one used only their hands.  He could do this!  It wasn't like he was some kind of prissy ass bard.  Well, he was a bard, just not a prissy one.

He got to work immediately and soon warmed up from the work of his muscles against the humidity of the barn.  Not one to work silently really, Taladan grinned at her and said as if he knew her better than she knew herself, "So, did anything interesting happen while you slept?  I mean you got up pretty fast."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Evadne hid her amused grin when Taladan stared in horror at the boxes. "Yes we do," she said, trying to keep her voice neutral. Now she was in her element, on familiar terrain, knowing exactly what she was doing. He had outwitted her last night, but that wouldn't soon happen again.

"This is Romeo," she introduced her own stallion to Taladan, lovingly stroking the animal's nose. "You should approach him slowly. He doesn't like strangers very much." True enough the horse seemed rather anxious in Taladan's presence, but if he was any good with horses that would pass soon enough. Evadne also often found that horses were a good judge of character, instinctively feeling if someone had good intentions or not. Though she still had no idea what to think of Taladan, she sensed that Romeo would get along with him soon enough.

She went to the second box and slid aside the heavy, barred door. "And this is Emanuelle. Don't ask me why someone would name a horse Emanuelle, but my father likes the name. And she is his horse, so I didn't have much say in it." Evadne pulled the mare out by the rope around her neck, and tied her up to the section where the three cows housed. "Never put Romeo and Emanuelle close to each other. They don't get along very well, except for when my father and I are riding them. They're as different in personality as in appearance."

True enough, the animals were as different as they could be. Romeo was rather tall, with an ebony fur, while Emanuelle was considerably smaller with a chestnut colour. While Arthur preferred sturdy and dependable, Evadne enjoyed raw power and spirit.

After tying up her father's mare, she joined Taladan in the stables. The awkwardness was back on her side, and she worked on quietly. It took her a while to figure out where it came from. When he asked her about her quick escape, she flushed and suddenly it hit her.

It was his scent.

Evadne leaned on her hay fork a moment, baffled by the realisation. It had been so prominent last night. It was a mixture of sweat, alcohol and something else, something that she couldn't define, but it was unmistakeably masculine and she was strangely attracted by it. She swallowed, pushing the thoughts away before she answered.

"Well... I realised I would be dead if my father found out you ... well, that I let you sleep on my bed --" she purposely avoided the use of the words in my bed "-- so I figured I should get out before he could suspect anything." They finished cleaning out the box, and Evadne quickly moved to the one next to it, dying to get away from that scent for a while. She needed him to leave. She needed Taladan to go, she needed it to stop raining. But most of all, she needed Taladan to stop trying to get to know her. He was purposely breaking down the three-foot-thick wall she had been building since infancy, and as her defence crumbled away she felt herself getting smaller. She had done and said everything that drove every single sane person away, but he remained friendly and understanding. She had lost her self control last night, but he had remained friendly and understanding. She had sneaked out through the window after spending the night in the same bed, and still, he remained friendly and understanding. Evadne had completely lost the hang of it, and every minute longer he stayed near her, he confused her more.

His SCENT, for God's sake! she thought angrily, frustrated with herself.

She didn't look up when Taladan followed her into the next box. While walking to the wheelbarrow with a full hay fork, she concentrated on her balance and banned the struggle against herself out of her mind. "Did you happen to see my father?" Evadne asked him instead. "He should have been here by now."

Lion

It was nice to meet horses as they were the kind of creatures that managed to say a lot without saying anything at all.  He liked that kind of communication and made a distant wish that human beings communicated like that more often.  It sure made making friendships a bit of a challenge, and nothing said could be taken out of context because, well, there was nothing said.  Taladan offered a grin and wave to the horses, reaching out to pet Romeo's cheek firmly and without intimidation.  He heard somewhere that it wasn't wise to show any sort of trepidation around them.  Though he didn't ride often, the advice that sprang from loose lips of drunk stable hands would now be put to good use.

The horses were wary of him as he had a feeling they would be.  It was the most sensible thing to do in the face of a stranger.  Taladan kept smiling as he was introduced to the mare, a stockier chesnut that was in stark contrast to the stallion here.  "Good morning to you Emanuelle and Romeo.  It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!" he said congenially just before Evadne tied them away.  Never put them together, one was her horse the other was Arthur's; Got it!

He went on working, scooping up the crud on the floor with the pitchfork one toss at a time, filling the wheelbarrow little by little.  There was a lot more than he thought there would be and the manure left behind in the stalls didn't smell so wonderful either, but he surely wasn't going to open his mouth to complain.  His hosts had given him work to do and far be it from him to be high and mighty and refuse.  After a while of course, his back protested slightly, but he grunted through it even as Evadne returned to his side, worked as well, then paused abruptly.

He just thought she had an itch or something or perhaps was considering her answer until she finally spoke.  He kept working as she did so and stopped as soon as she was done talking.  "Oh, I see now.   I'm afraid I'm going to have to thank you for that," he said.  "I didn't mean to threaten to inspire the wrath of your father.  It's a good thing you left.  But I didn't hear the door...did you go out the window?"  He didn't care whether or not she answered, he suspected as much that she did.  She seemed strangely jumpy around him, but he wouldn't bother to comment on it.  Things like that usually didn't bode well when one didn't know another very well.

When it was time to move on to the next stall, he brushed back his hair and scratched at his beard again.  "Actually, your father headed to town.  He said he needed some supplies and would be back in the afternoon.  I hope it stops raining by then, but it's good for your fields no?  Have you worked on the farm your whole life?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Evadne closed her eyes and halted her work. When she looked up at him, there was only frustration in her eyes.

"Okay, just ... just stop asking me questions. You had your chance last night. You don't know me and you don't want to know me. I don't know how you've won my father over, but I will not be so easy to persuade, Mr Ewing."

Brusquely, she emptied another pitchfork on the wheelbarrow and threw it aside, brushing her hair out of her face.

[Edit: Sorry it's short, but I wanted to give Taladan a chance for a reaction that would not go by unnoticed. ^^]

Lion

Taladan was taken aback and stopped working.  He blinked at her a bit stupidly at first, but didn't stop grinning, it was as if he expected her to say such a thing though in truth he was completely taken by surprise.  "Whoa, hey.  Calm down.  I don't understand what the problem is.  I mean, I just thought I might as well get to know you if I'm going to be staying here for a while.  I'm just trying to be friendly.  What do you think I'm trying to do?  Break you down somehow?

"Tch no!  I'm just a nice person...  I mean, why did you convince your father to let me stay if you don't want me to talk to you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It would have been so much easier if he would just have stayed silent. But Evadne had to admit, that would have disappointed her. She spun around to face Taladan. "I convinced him to let you stay for two reasons, and neither of them had anything to do with feeling the urge to talk to you. One was common civility, which I apparently still possess, and the expectation you would be out by now, and two was the trouble we would get for letting you get sick and die in that field.

"And yes," she added, grinding her teeth, "by getting to know me you are breaking me down, and the worst part is, that I didn't even realise you were doing it! I am not a nice person, and I am not someone you should want to get to know. With everything I said and did, any normal person would not be smiling like you do now."

Lion

"For that I commend you," Taladan replied without missing a beat.  "Shows at least you have some kind of human decency in you.  Most people would let a bum like me just rot out there along the road.  Not that I wouldn't have minded, I've experienced worse."  Taladan kept working and tossed the last scrap into the wheelbarrow as well before sticking the points into the ground.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Evadne.  I'm not trying to be invasive.  Believe me when I say that I'd love to leave now if the weather allowed it but the truth is, I value my life a great deal.  But why are you suddenly acting like this?  What's so bad about trying to get to know you?  I don't care if you're not nice, I respect people for who they are.  There's nothing wrong with that....  Wait, you don't have many friends do you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

You just don't get it, Evadne thought desperately. She wasn't thinking about the fact that she was a very hard person to understand, even a little bit. Taladan had not disappointed her at all, but that was just the problem, wasn't it?

His voice yanked her back to the present. You don't have many friends, do you?
The question echoed in her head. She stared at Taladan for a while, her eyes accusing him of breaking down her wall even further. Sternly, she picked up the pitchfork again and hid in a shadowy corner, working from there.

"No, I don't," she replied tonelessly.

Lion

Had he a chance to hear her thoughts through voice, his response would surely be that, no, he didn't get it.  He couldn't understand why she was so insistent on being guarded and resistant to any type of communication.  It was possible that she just wasn't used to such things, but then again most people would crave outside communication after having not done so for so long.  But maybe that was only people like him.

He said nothing as he watched her grab her fork and get back to work.  So, she was that type of woman.  He didn't continue with her but instead leaned against his fork negligently and tilted his head as he spoke.  "Well, how about we start slow?  Do you think you'd be very much against me becoming your friend?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Holy crap! He was relentless! Evadne found herself once more staring at him, wondering what the hell was wrong with this man. Or right. He seemed to try to make up for the world's mistakes, in her eyes, and was even prepared to involve hers.

"Fine," she heard herself say to her utter surprise. Eva, what the hell are you doing?? She coughed, her cheeks red, but found herself again soon enough. She dropped her pitchfork and crossed her arms over her chest.

"But why don't you tell me first how you could possibly still be interested, and patient enough to become my friend, huh? What's the thinking? 'Cause I don't get it."

Lion

If he wouldn't have understood her thought had she heard it, there was a good chance that she wouldn't have understood his.  His reasoning for getting to know everyone without hindrance or prejudice.  Perhaps it had something to do with his being an only child, or the fact that his own father was quite finicky about the friends he had.

Taladan set a hand on his hip and used the other one to maintain balance on the pitchfork.  "Before I answer your question, answer mine.  What's so bad about getting to know you?  Are you some kind of murderer or something or secret nutjob that's got a million things to hide?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

In all honesty, Evadne could not answer that question. True, she was a nutjob. But it was not as if she had anything to hide. She considered the possibility of being afraid to get hurt. Letting someone in, trusting them, and eventually being let down by them seemed to be pretty common. But she knew that wasn't it. Pain is good, it let's you know you're alive, whatever kind of pain it is. And quite frankly, dealing with pain is easier than avoiding it.

Evadne let out an inaudible sigh. "I don't know. I just don't like people digging into my mind. But I don't doubt you'll find out once you do get to know me. I'm already a freakshow, it's not very likely to get better. Now, you answer my question."

Lion

"A mind-digger?  Is that what you think I am?"  It was then that Taladan let out an uproarious laugh that made both the horses and the cows and any other animals remaining in the barn all jump in unison.  But it wasn't an evil laugh, instead one of true humor.  Sure he was sure that wasn't what she was trying to say, but he couldn't help it.

"All right, Evadne.  Fair's fair.  Since you answered mine, I'll answer yours.  I'm a social creature by nature, all bards are.  You can't really become one of my profession without expecting to have to deal with people.  So might as well make the best of such situations.  The way I see it is, there's too much bad in the world that people could use at least one good thing in their life, even if that one good thing is little more than an honest friend.  I didn't have many friends when I was growing up, but now that I'm a man, I've come to realize that having good friends in life is not something everyone is blessed with.  So, I come to you now, with an offering of friendship in good faith."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Oh, so your desire to get to know me comes from a general principle instead of a genuine interest in me as a person? That makes me feel a whole lot better," Evadne snapped at him before she could stop herself. She cringed when she heard her own words. Not a good way to accept an offering of friendship, Eva. "But whatever. I will attempt not to be the cause of your loss of faith in mankind."

Before Taladan could respond, she picked up the pitchfork and made her way to the exit of the stall, which, inconveniently, was blocked by Taladan's tall figure. His scent once again intruded in her nostrils, sending a set of shivers down her spine, touching something inside her.

"May I pass, please?" she added, her voice rather less cold and accusing. Suddenly she knew why she didn't want Taladan to know her. He confused her, made her feel like someone else, someone she entirely didn't know. And she was comfortable with the Evadne she had been all her life. She glanced up at his face, studying his features, wondering what it was that brought about these feelings.

Lion

Taladan laughed again, this time a soft, somber chuckle that rumbled along his throat like a bunch of barrels rolling down a rocky cobblestone street.  She really was quick to express her opinion wasn't she.  As well as to make a point that was not at all expressed.  He found that amusing, how people could so easily jump to conclusions.

It was his turn to cross his arms over his chest and he stood there like a pillar in her way with that knowing grin on his face.  He didn't move when she requested him to.  "Has it ever occurred to you that I want to be friends with people because I will always have a genuine interest in who they are?  The principle is the person, my dear.  And it will always be the person."

Without anything further to add, he turned and leaned back, gesturing for her to pass.  "Now you may.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

For once, can you NOT have the last word? Evadne thought angrily. But this time she was so wise as not to spill it out instantly. Taking care not to touch him, she slipped past him through the door opening and marched towards the doors of the barn, dropping her pitchfork by the wheelbarrow as she went. Outside still were the buckets, and she brought in two. She emptied one in each stable, and then grabbed a couple of tough brooms.

"Here," she said quietly when she pushed one of them in Taladan's hands. "You're supposed to clean the floors now, if you don't mind. The dirty water goes in there." She pointed at a sort of small gutter that ran through the middle of the barn, stretching from the doors to the wall, eventually to disappear beneath the latter.

Without a further word, Evadne went to work in Romeo's stall.

Lion

He leaned his own pitchfork against the drainage wall and waited until she returned with the buckets.  Silence reigned yet again and he didn't protest it.  It was refreshing now, instead of some kind of obstruction.  After she emptied them, one for each stall, he took the broom she'd given him without another word.

He scrubbed and worked harder now, pressing his weight against the water and dumping it where she'd indicated.  If only he was aware of how his 'scent' was affecting her he might have opted to put on some kind of enchantment that would make him sweat less.  But the shirt he wore was soaked through along the neck and his arms.  And suddenly it was too hot in the barn despite the outside.  So, as he was wont to do in such situations, the shirt went abruptly over his head and off his torso.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Stubbornly keeping her mouth shut, Evadne worked hard in the stable adjacent to the one Taladan was working in. At least her attempt to keep them separated for a while had worked. And now she could finally catch her breath. Used to working hard, Evadne finished her work quickly. She stepped out of the stall and stashed the broom in the supply cupboard. Then she took the pitchfork again. She took a deep breath before checking on Taladan.

He seemed just about finished as well, but that was not what made her jaw drop. Just before coming in, she had come across some white bundle that lay on the floor, and she was pretty sure she didn't leave anything like that lying around. When she picked it up, it appeared to be a shirt. A wet shirt. And it smelled horribly familiar.

Now, she was staring at a bare-chested Taladan, not able to look away, unlike the other day when she walked in on him in her own room. She hadn't dared to look at him then, as there was much more exposed than there was now, but this didn't mean there was nothing to look at. Evadne swallowed and turned around brusquely, trying not to think about how goddamn attractive he was. Though Taladan had told her he was a carpenter's son, she never expected him to be this well-shaped. He was a bard, for heaven's sake! Bards were supposed to have lots of hair and a beer gut. A BIG beer gut. Evadne coughed, there was no doubt in her mind that her cheeks were as red as they could get.

"There's fresh hay over there," she muttered while she walked to the stall that contained only dry hay. Desperate to take her mind off the vision that was Taladan, she took a big scoop of hay on her pitchfork and made her way to Romeo's stall.

Lion

To his misfortune (or was it fortune), he wasn't paying attention to Evadne nor her surprised reaction at the fact that he had the gall to take off his shirt.  He didn't really have her thoughts or feelings into consideration when he did it.  The fact was, he was too heated up to really care if she saw him or not.  Maybe he'd go out for a jog in the rain afterwards.  That thought didn't please him too much and instead Taladan worked faster until he was complexly finished.  Then he placed the broom to the side and peeked into her stall.  "All right.  I'm right on it."

He walked to the other stall and replenished the hay as he had seen her doing.  It was a quick job and after a few trips for more bits of the hay, he was done.  He looked over in her stall and gave a quick reference to the ground.  "Hey, where's my shirt.  It was just here on the ground a few minutes ago."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn