Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mud on church steps. [Rina!]

Started by Rhindeer, December 07, 2010, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Tanith turned as well, cocking her head slightly. Her hearing was much better than Alexander's, but she had been so absorbed in the conversation, she had hardly noticed, "I think the storm is gonna be over soon. Unless it's just a lull."

It hadn't seemed bad enough to have formed the twisting winds that could tear up houses and trees, so chances were it was just about done with then.

Rhindeer

"Suppose we better not chance it, then," Alexander said with a small grin. "I wouldn't wanna leave only for it to start up again. I can't imagine being here in this church all alone!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"We should know if it's going to calm down or not." Tanith smiled back at him, trying to act casual, not let her fear seep through again, "Though, hearing your stories has been a wonderful distraction!"

Rhindeer

"You really liked 'em, eh?" Alexander asked, grinning. Even though she'd seemed interested and excited and had practically begged for more, it was still nice hearing that he hadn't totally bored her.

"Likewise, Tanith. Your stories were...well, let's just say I never imagined you'd find such juicy gossip in a church! It really shouldn't surprise me, though. A little church mouse can go places us regular folk can't."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Oh yes! I can just imagine you chased up a tree by an angry bull." Tanith laughed again, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, feeling self-conscious about his calling her a church mouse. It seemed a step up from evil touched monster, but, well, being thought of as some mousy thing wasn't really what she wanted.

Rhindeer

Alexander grinned and ducked his head, rubbing the back of his neck. "It was even better in person," he said. "But, I'll admit, it was kinda terrifying at the time. Never, ever piss off a bull if ya can help it."

Anonymous

"Oh, of course not." Tanith nodded, eager to fit in, "I bet that was simply awful." What you were afraid of changed a little when you had the strength to lift the bull over your head. But that wasn't normal, so Tanith ignored it, desperate to fit in.

"It could have been worse I suppose. I mean, you could have been chased up a tree with girls watching."

Rhindeer

"That would have been mortifying. To have girls judge you when you're young and stupid and want nothing more than to impress them? It's every man's worse nightmare," Alexander said seriously, then laughed.

"Actually, I think if anyone said anything, I would have told them to join me and then see who was laughing!"

Anonymous

Tanith laughed, nodding her head, "I bet you were pretty fearless. And I also bet you didn't have to try very hard to impress the girls."

Tanith was very impressed already.

Rhindeer

"Now you're just flattering me," Alexander said with a grin. "Naw, I was kinda an awkward kid. Tried a little too hard and all that. And anyway, no soldier's fearless. Fear is good for ya. Keeps you alive."

Anonymous

"It's not flattery when it's true, so there." Tanith flushed a little and quickly stood up, fetching Alexander a refill on his mug, "I can't imagine you trying too hard."

Rhindeer

That took Alexander aback--so there?--but before he could formulate a response, Tanith had gotten up to fetch him more drink. He chuckled as she returned.

"Well, I suppose I can't argue with that," he said with a grin.

Anonymous

"Exactly!" Tanith was quite redfaced at this point and took her time, hoping her cheeks would have calmed down a little before she brought back Alexander's drink, "And everyone in the village likes you, it couldn't have been that different when you were younger."

Rhindeer

"Oh, trust me, a lot can change in twenty-odd years," Alexander said. "And I'd sure love to go back and give younger me and good whack for some of the things I did. I was a troublemaker and thought the best way to impress a girl was through a good brawl, a reckless show of might and daring, and being a nuisance. It usually ended badly for me. Why, you'd probably kick younger me out!"

Not to mention back then, he wouldn't have even considered conversing with a known witch. He'd been young and hot-blooded and over-zealous back then, raring to prove his mettle and save the world.

Back then, he hadn't been so kind to marked mages.

Anonymous

"Well, I almost kicked you out anyway. You and those boots of yours." Tanith smiled again and laughed, "I bet you enjoyed yourself though. That's the really important part."

Rhindeer

Alexander cleared his throat awkwardly. After all this time, he'd nearly forgotten about the very thing that had landed him here to begin with.

"Well, I'm certainly glad you didn't. Otherwise I'd have another embarrassing story to tell! Though I suppose I already do."

Anonymous

"Oh? You have more stories?" Tanith took a seat, leaning close again, "You really should tell more! Have you ever done anything really dangerous?"

Rhindeer

"Have I done anything dangerous? Is water wet?" Alexander settled back, more than happy to tell another tale. It wasn't often he really got to; most of his friends were there when these events unfolded or had gone through similar themselves. Even if they hadn't, telling stories with other soldiers was different from telling it to someone like, say, Tanith. There was a sense of wonder and excitement in the girl that there just wasn't in people who had been through it.

And true, it was wholly inappropriate to tell these to a girl, and in a church, but...well, how much could it hurt? Her excitement was contagious.

"Some buddies and I, we hunted a terrible creature once, near Uthlyn. It was a spelled wood and the creature was troubling a village for a good year by the time we were able to do something about it. See this here?"

Alexander pointed out an old scar on his forearm, faded with time but still standing out white against his skin. It was uneven and jagged. "That's where it got me. Got me with its claws before my friend took its head. It was a close call. It knocked me down and I thought I was done."

Anonymous

Tanith was a good listener, she had learned the practice well, and well, she honestly did like Alexander's stories. She nodded, eyes never leaving Alexander, breath almost stopped, "What was it like? What happened? How did it get you?"

Rhindeer

"Well...it was terrifying, that's for sure," Alexander said. "My buddies and I had been in the wood for two days when it happened. We were asleep, but something woke me up in the night so I got up to see what it was. It was a strange sound; I thought an animal was getting into our food.

"I was half right--it was an animal, but it was the beast. It was large, the size of a pony with eyes that glowed green at night. I'll never forget that. I froze up--because, well, I was just a kid and I'd never seen anything like it. I'd never seen so many teeth! I was damned lucky--pardon my language--I was lucky that I'd woken up a friend before I checked it out, because he heard it knock me down. I was too scared to make a sound. It woulda clawed my face if I hadn't blocked with my arm, but it that still knocked me down 'cause it hit hard.

"My friend stabbed it in the neck and that was the end of that. It was a disgusting thing, hairless and deformed." Alexander shuddered. "Wish I could say I'd been braver, but nothing really got the jump on me after that. I was a lot more careful.'