Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bring Them To Me...Alive [open!]

Started by Tally, June 27, 2011, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Unwise though it was, Hashasa ventured from the outpost alone, picking her way down a trail that was nearly nonexistent until she reached a hilltop.  There she could stand beneath the young maple and look back and see the entirety of her outpost, two small buildings and a cluster of tents.  Beyond, the sea crashed upon low cliffs.

Her warriors fretted overmuch for her.  True, she alone could open the gate, and if she were careless and got herself killed or worse then they would be stranded and no more mages could be sent back to the city. She understood, yet she was not defenseless and they were safe enough out here.

From her vantage she could not see the distant road, but travelers would kick up a dust cloud to herald their approach.  Further east lay La'marri.

How many have we taken from that place?  She had warned her...hunters to avoid taking mages from the village.  It was too close and the community there too solid.  It would go badly for them if La'marri turned its eye upon their little hold.

Though they had met with great success and sent many mages to the city thus far, a sense of foreboding nonetheless gripped her as she stood, clutching her cloak about her shoulders, looking out upon a land that would kill her should she venture too far into it.

Doc

Baels booted feet padded softly against the ground as he ran. The angry shouts, whiz of arrows and hurled stones had stopped a while back, but he dared not stop. Not yet, not until he was sure he was safe. His brow was furrowed tight and his lips turned in a frustrated frown even as he ran. Damnable village, La'marri. It was open and peaceful and close and accepting, as long as you weren't trying to make an honest living!

Though in hindsight, he considered, collecting the tears of a marked mage probably could have been done in a better way. With less screaming at least.. But it didn't matter now, his purpose had been filled. The small glass vials in one of the many pouches on his belt clanked softly as they jostled around. He had gotten what he had came for, now he just needed to get back to the ways.

The trees broke around him into a small clearing near the crest of a hill and Bael slowed his approach. Sucking air through pointed teeth as he looked back over his shoulder, he almost didn't see the girl standing atop the hill with such a pensive look. At least not until the last moment when he looked back, molten orange eyes widening in surprise as he slid to a stop that brought him within only a few feet of the girl.

His chest and shoulders heaved beneath the thick leather sleeveless tunic. Bael stared at her for a moment, looked back over his shoulder, and then back at her. His frown split into a charming smile that revealed those pointed teeth just before he bowed with a slight flourish of his arm. When he righted himself, he regarded the girl once more with an appraising eye.

"Well met, girl.." His voice was smooth and kind, tinged with amusement. If that blasted mage or her 'friends' decided to follow, perhaps a sacrifice would abate them.. Mages liked sacrifices too, right? Clasping his hands behind his back, Bael leaned slightly forward toward her, his toothy smile still present, "Out all alone are we?"

Tally

A crashing about in the forest drew Hasha's wariness.  It sounded like a boar or a bear were charging down on her.  It wouldn't do to run from such a creature, but she backed away and gripped the knife hidden in her robe as a man burst into her sanctuary.

Just because he was not an animal didn't mean he was not dangerous.  She kept one hand hidden behind her, clenched about the knife hilt.  His eyes were an odd color.  A mage perhaps, come to seek out the source of the disappearances.

Though...he had pointed teeth?

"And you as well, sir," she said, stepping away when he leaned in.  She nearly told him the truth, that she was never really alone, not here.  There were too many warriors about the hold, and all of them charged with her protection.  It wouldn't do to tip her hand so soon.  "Yes.  I am."

Doc

"Ahh, good.." He said in the same cheerful voice as he turned, looking back over his shoulder to see if anyone followed. When no one did he frowned slightly, if only that his well conceived plan to trade away the girl wouldn't be coming to fruition. He did so hate having ideas not played out as he wanted.

Bael returned his attention to the girl before him, his smile returning as a bifurcated tongue lashed out to moistened somewhat dry lips, and then held out a black nailed hand toward the girl, "Well, it would seem that so am I. Bael's the name, my dear, and you are?" His eyes twinkled with devious mischief as he awaited the shake of her hand. She was pretty enough, he supposed, though it was always hard to tell when you were dealing with demons. Some had very particular tastes. A flare of his nostrils and the intake of her scent brought a curious mixture to bare. She was conflicted, it seemed, and left the purity of her soul in question, "An odd question, I know, but are you by any chance a virgin?"

Tally

Those teeth, that tongue....his nails.  This one could be touched by magic.  But then, he may not be.  It was only a possibility.  Hasha had known many who did not look human yet bore no magical gift.  She could hardly test him here, alone, though.

"Hashasa," she said, ignoring his hand and pulling a pinch of sea salt from the pouch at her belt.  She sprinkled the salt in her palm and whispered words to it—words no man on this continent still spoke, save those see had brought with her.  Word of her native home.  That done, she brushed the salt from her hands.

"No," she said.  "Are you by any chance a mage?"

Doc

Baels pleasant smile fell quick into a frown when she chose to ignore his hand. It wasn't that he was unfamiliar with the rudeness of humans, many judged him on his looks alone. Some on his actions. In any case though, he found it rather unsettling. What intrigued him more though, was how calm she was being. Most people ran, or screamed or prayed to their gods when they saw him. Those were the nice ones, the ones who didn't draw swords or shoot bows at him before he had earned the reaction. She, aside from her curtness, seemed rather unconcerned.

"A lovely name, may dear.." Bael said taking a small step back so that he could give her a slight bow. She may have no manners, but that did not mean he did not. When he straitened he noticed the peculiar ritual with the salt. If he was curious before, he was nervous now. Nervous in that he had a fair bit of knowledge about the magic of this land and the most important part of that knowledge was knowing he didn't know everything.

"Well, that's a shame.." He spoke quietly, his eyes trailing for the salt dust in the wind back to Hashasa. The actual act of sex was only a small part f the purity of a person. There were plenty of virgins out there with impure souls. It was really just an assessment tool. While not all virgins were pure, they had a higher chance of purity than others. And for most transactions, not to mention spells, purity was a must. It would have been so much more fortuitous, Bael thought to himself, if she had been one. But then, the chances of a young virgin girl by herself in the woods? Bael's quiet voice sounded more as though he were talking to himself than to her, "But, I suppose they can not all be winners.. Though, I suppose I could still find some use for her.."

Her question, direct as it was, settled in before he could finish his thoughts on the disappointing turnout of her virginal status. He blinked, brows narrowing down at her as he mulled over the question. He did not like neither the tone nor phrasing of her question. Even still, she had answered his.. "I suppose it's only fair, a question for a question?"

Bael took another step back, his curious frown began to fade as his lips slowly turned upward, "Am I a mage? If you mean do I ramble about this land pulling rabbits from hats or whatever else most bumbling humans with the gift of magic do, then no.. I am no mage.." As he spoke, his hands began to rise along with his lips. In less than a blink of an eye the golden orange coloring left Baels, replaced by an inky blackness light could not escape that covered the entire eye. While it would be impossible to tell where Bael was looking by watching those twin black pools, it was never in question when he was looking at you. The feeling of bugs and worms crawling fell across any surface he looked upon. And his eyes were trained on Hashasa as he spoke.

"But if you mean can I bend the forces of this world to my will? Call upon ancient darkness to fulfill my whims and desires?" His voice began to resonate as he spoke. Black mist running up his arms and coiling into his palms inky tendrils of foggy shadow. His boot covered feet came off the ground by an inch at first, then two though he hardly seemed to notice. Even the air around him was growing darker, as though he was casting an aura of shadow out from his body and bringing shadows in closer to them. His speech, however, may have sounded a little rote if only because it was. It was something he used more when dealing with those in Connlaoth then out in these woods, "Can I call upon immortal magics so old your mind could not comprehend their age? Then yess, child.. You could consider me a mage.."