Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Grace for Doves.

Started by Anonymous, July 23, 2011, 01:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Rai'nish simply stared at him while she caught her breath and calmed her body down. A sort of meditation that didn't envolve meditating. It was perfect. She hated meditating. She smirked and shifted her weight, crossing her arms over her chest and pushing some of her wayward hair over her shoulder. This was golden.

The urge to say 'duh' swept through her and, thankfully, passed before it could leave her mouth. That would have been bad for various reasons, the most obvious being that Dram might be violent. Was probably violent. Rai'nish tried not to smile, she kept her face straight and she tilted her head to the side and pursed her lips.

"Geeze, you're stressed, aren't you." An idle observation. Stressed. As a bandit. Did they even do things when they weren't off... Banditing things away? Rai'nish shifted her weight again and gave him a lazy salute, "A'corse, cap'n!" And she followed him, she didn't know her way around yet. She was sure that once she did she'd learn to go the opposite direction Dram was going.

"You know. You should take a long warm bath. I bet you're tense."

Lion

He was incredibly tense for the situation was enough to drive him into a murderous rage.  And if he didn't know any better he would have just lopped off her head with his sword.  But sadly that too was back at the main camp and while his own troop was busy training and getting better, here he was wasting his time with this piece of smart ass trash that needed to be taken out and kicked to the curb!

IF THERE WERE ANY GODS THAT EXISTED IN THIS PITIFUL, HOPELESS GARBAGE CAN WORLD, WOULD THEY STRIKE HIM DOWN AT THAT MOMENT!  He waited...and waited....and waited some more.  But nothing happened.  Damn the gods, he cursed.  They were pointless as always and he scoffed as he tried to cool off.

But she just kept egging him on.  Suddenly Dram whirled on her and locked onto her jaw with a flying fist, connecting faster than she could have had to react.  He then plucked her up from the ground and threw her over his shoulder like a sack of mouthy rocks and marched off towards the obstacle course.  If she was dizzy for a while, he couldn't blame her and she'd recover after a few minutes and a cup of water.  She and her mouth needed a break after all.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It had been like she got punched like a large dark tree with scary red eyes and fire for hair. Which was close enough because before she knew it his butt was close to her head and her arms were down and she was being carried around like a sack of mouthy rocks. She wasn't passed out so much as seeing stars against the curve of his butt and she frowned and moved her hand to his lower back to steady herself while she regained her ground.

The ground that was upside down. Poor bastard was tense.  Her hair dragged through the dirt behind them and she groaned quiety before she wriggled a bit and then closed her eyes. Dizzy. Because of where the ground was and how her face was hurting and had she done that? No no. The tree did.

"Yer a jerk, treeeee." Her voice slurred and she frowned and pouted at his back, her hands moving to wrap around his middle to keep herself steady. "m'sorry! put me doooooooown."

Lion

Dram had no regrets.  She completely had it coming though and he wasn't sorry not one single bit.  If she kept on talking some more, she'd get another one and this time he'd leave here there!  He wasn't going to have any foolish, mouthy brats on his squad.  Unless they had real skills that were worth a damn.

They reached the course, one that looked long and rigorous just from the start with multitudes of scaling walls and windows and barbed traps, and tricks and holes burrowed through it and almost everything that was designed to test any physical skill you could think of.  Dram set her down like she asked and walked over to a water bucket before producing two tin cups of water.  One, he splashed on her, and the other he handed for her to drink.  "Here," he said simply, shoving it in her hands.

He sat beside her on a fallen log and pointed out to the course.  "If you can make it through there in under five minutes, you pass.  If you don't, you fail.  Simple.  Now look at it this way, five minutes seems like a long time.  But not for what you're going up against.  When you're ready scale that first wall and I'll start timing.  Good luck.  You'll need it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

He put her down and she pressed her forehead to the dirt to gain back her composure.  She'd sat up with her eyes closed before she felt the sploosh of water on her face, drip down her chest. It sort of made her wish she wore a different type of top. The kind that wasn't white and thin. Which made it cling to her chest and leave little to nothing to the imagination.

So she drew his attention to it after he mentioned the course. Easy. A quick look over her shoulder and she put her hands on her hips after she stood up and brushed the bits of rock and dirt that clung to her legs. "Look what you did to my chest clothing." The fabric clung like a second skin to her breasts, and was see through.  

Rai'nish took the drink of water and swallowed it gratefully after, placing the cup beside Dram with a quiet and strangely polite thank you.  She gave some perfunctory stretches before she threw a smile over her shoulder and blew him a kiss, and she was off. For someone who looked so hilariously out of place and in awkward clothing, Rai'nish did a good job. She was up and over the first wall, she'd wiped out once but was up almost instantly.

Of course she'd regret all of this later, she'd be sore and she knew the scrapes on her calf elbow would bleed for a while even after she was done. Not one for actrobatics, she was less than graceful going through some of the obsticals, but she got the job done.

She was out of breath, she was sweaty and one of her long strange ponytails had come undone the fabric wrap left in one of the ditches she had to leap over. Rai'nish took it more like a race with things to jump over, but she didn't cheat.

And it took her less than three minutes. Of course she felt like puking, but she just breathed before looking at Dram, her chest still heaving. "Di- ah du ieh?" It came out in a rush of exhaled breath, the concept of oxygen far too important to be wasted on proper words.

Lion

Dram knew she wouldn't make it!  She couldn't.  Even with five minutes, most recruits could barely make it over the first wall in half that.  A good thief need to be fast, and nimble, could climb and scale and leap without wasting precious time.  Getting the mark was only half the battle!  Getting away was always just as important.

But this girl had her head on at odd angles at all times and he couldn't wrap his mind around her one way or another, and he just stared at her chest when she told him too and felt an angry blush rise in his face.  Dram got up and shoved her in the direction of the course.  She was pushing him too far.  He had half a mind to cleave her in two if she didn't settle down and get in line like the rest of them.  But the last time that happened, Seranth got pretty pissed off.  Reminding him, they'd scare away good and new recruits if they treated them like that.  As much as he respected his commander, he wasn't gonna let this one get away with her antics.  She'd get what was coming to her somehow.

Dram kicked at the cup she handed at him and watched it sail through the air, huffing and puffing angrily.  "Get the molasses out yer ass, Meat Bag!" he yelled and turned his back on her.  He didn't need to watch her!  She'd be out in a ditch on the course somewhere in a few minutes.

When Dram finally did turn back, he saw Rai'nish before him, heaving and looking like she was just about ready to die where she stood.  All he could do was stare at her in amazement, shocked.  That was disturbingly fast.  "You little cheat!" he said fiercely.  "I had my back turned for one goddamned second and you run off the course!  That's the only way you could have done it in under three minutes.  Explain yourself before I cut your fucking head off!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Cheat? Rai'nish felt her face go pale and she looked so extremely disappointed that it made her chest feel all hollow. "Chee?" Still painfully out of breath she swallowed, tried to swallow, though her mouth was so dry. "I'd never chea--" Another deep breath, "Cheat!"

A chunk of hair fell into her face and she turned away to stare at the obsticle course, about half way through, maybe a little more, in a spot that couldn't have been cheated to get at, lay the fabric she used to tie back that particular hunk of blue hair. "See?!" She pointed frantically, her finger jabbing. "I didn't cheat! I am not a cheat!!" How rude!

Rai'nish felt insulted. A cheat! Her! "I may..."breath," May be mouthy! And snarky! But... I don't cheat!"

Lion

Dram clenched his fists and shook them at her.  "Nobody's made it through that course in under three since I ran it back in my induction day!" he said sternly and looked like he was about to commit cold-blooded murder. "To make a time like that, you either cheated, or must be some kind of super freak.

"You tell me how you made it through or I'll pummel your goddamn face in!"  Dram was about to send a good fist flying at her when one of his subordinates caught his attention.  "Captain wait!"

Dram paused and looked at the man.  He was a skinny fellow with curly red hair and a bad tan that made him look like a roasted piece of chicken, and called himself Tannon.  "What'dya want?"

"I was watching her the whole time.  She's not lying, sir.  She made the time.  Even I was surprised!"

Dram looked at her and nearly had his hands around her neck.  After a few moments, Dram stood away and looked at her with a discerning eye.  "Alright, alright.  Take a breath there, meat bag..."  Dram didn't want to accept the possibility that she actually did complete the course in the same time he had when he first ran it, but he couldn't have another reject on his hands.  They could always use a good bandit when they found one.

"Well," he said bitterly, putting his hands on his hips.  "Looks like you passed...but you're still a meatbag.  What do you say we get some drinks then huh?  To celebrate your...time"  That last word tasted like bile and he spat angrily into the ground.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

They could use a good bandit when they could find them, and she wasn't so good at stealing as she was at getting away. But she could learn the sneaky stealing part. and apparently she was so awesome the captain thought she was a cheater! Rai'nish of course winced away when he made to punch her, but she stood dumbly when his hand went to choke her, staring at him while breathing heavily.

Tannon saved her hide. Sorta. What a silly name. She grinned widely and tried to make Dram feel better about her being just as fast as him. "I easily weigh at least a hundred pounds less than you do!! That makes me faster! I'm not as strong as you!" What else could she say? "Nor as handsome!" That should make him feel better right? Being called handsome?

Even if he did have creepy eyes. Rai'nish avoided eye contact for that fact only. Creepy, creepy eyes. "Aww, I'd love to celebrate with you Cap'n!" She puffed out her chest and put her hands on her hips, moving them to one side to focus her weight on one leg which was much more comfortable for her than standing up straight.

"I'm sure you'll be able to drink me under the table, right? You're a man's man and mans men can drink!" Without missing a beat she whipped around and began to walk in the direction she thought the drinks would be. Somewhere in the camp? Surely a bunch of bandits could steal some kegs and then get drunk off of it. Seemed like a bandit-ie thing to do.

Lion

She was enthusiastic that was for sure and though he was well and thoroughly pissed off at having his own record matched by this pipsqueak of a girl who couldn't even take a good sock to the jaw.  But she sure as well could run if anything else.  Dram didn't know whether to be happy about this or put her eight feet under.  He could dig an eight foot hole in no time, and throw her in it if she didn't watch that mouth of hers.

So far, she was doing a wonderful job of skirting the line between life and death with him.  And he'd at least had to give her props for the gall to even look him in the face.  She met his gaze, if a little warily it seemed and he looked at her threateningly.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he said and grabbed her shoulder to show her the right way towards the drinks.  "There's only one place to get a good beer around here.  And that's on the otherside of the camp.  Now follow me and don't be such a smart ass."  His voice was bitter and he yanked her to go along with him.

"Now tell me about yourself.  Where ya from?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Rai'nish pursed her lips and was dragged along like a bad puppy. That was cool. She could be a  good boy. Girl. Dog. Whatever. He sounded grumpy and Rai had to resist the urge to goose him because he'd probably turn around and smack her upside the head again. She could already feel a bruise forming on her chin, so she was a good initiate and kept quiet.

For now.

"I'm from Serendipity." She said simply before she frowned and went quiet. Why did he have to go and ask a question like that? She didn't talk anymore of that, simply stayed quiet and kept her head raised high while they walked. She was still jittery from all the running and she was sure her hands were trembling.

Only this guy would get mad at her for being fast. What a jerk. Once they got into the right area, Rai'nish was hesitant and waiting for Dram to make the first move. Didn't want to get a mysterious arrow in her eye or anything.

Lion

"Serendipity," he echoed after her and looked bitter while saying it.  He didn't much care for the differences between nations.  And he didn't like to think about it either.  Politics and diplomacy were never his thing and deep down they were all the same no matter how they conducted their business.  There was the law, and then there was the other side of it.  He was on the other side, the one that got treated like a dog, and thrown into a cell with idiots, and never had any real rights.

And he liked his life of freedom that had been afforded to him.  You had to make your own way in this world, there wasn't much different between people in that, and Dram knew that as well as anyone.  It didn't matter where she was from, even if he didn't care for her homeland country.  But he was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, for now.

"This way," he said and led her to the would-be tavern tent that was extended down to a flagon hallway and the smell of fresh ale and beer wafted in the air.  Despite her previous assumption, Dram was not a big drinker and it was rare for him to even make an appearance here at all.  The dark elf was a solitary sort, everyone knew that.  So, naturally, when they saw him peer through the doorway with a rookie on his tail, many found it was prudent to stare with awe in his direction.

He would look at them with a snarl and immediately they would look away just as they should.  Dram took a seat at the bar and offered the seat beside him to Rai'nish and signaled for the bartender to throw two cold brews at them and sliding down the counter came two cold mugs filled with ale.  He slid hers toward her and leaned on the counter.  Dram, in a show of masculinity, tossed back half his round and slammed the mug down on the counter and wiped his mouth on his arm.  "So...you drink much?" he said with a bit of a challenge in his voice.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She was about to get all up in his face with her chest out and her arms out and her chin forward, but she didn't. Because he was quiet and after the echo of the word serendipity it was quiet and that meant he didn't want to start a fight. That and he told her to stop being so mouthy, so not being so mouthy might help with that part.

Rai'nish was no fool, so she noted the stares with a smirk of her own before she watched Drams back. She sat beside him and waited quietly, giving the area a quick once over to see all the faces that weren't staring anymore. So. These were the hawks. She took the brew between her own hands and watched Dram down half of his in one go.

So she waited for him to finish and she smiled at him widely, "Like a fish, Cap'n." And she downed half of hers too,  pausing for a moment for a breath before finishing it off. "Whoa. I didn't even realize how thirsty I was! All that running really makes you want a drink!" And some food, but she wasn't about to push her luck now. Maybe before she finished her drink. "That's not too bad, either." She said, somewhat surprised while she checked out the bottom of her cup.

Lion

Yes, these were the Hawks.  The only real family Dram had ever known and even if he had his place among them, they knew well enough not to bother the Red Hawk or they'd get his kopis stuck in their head somehow.  He was an angerprone man and while he did his best to control it, it was well known that liquor only made it worse.

Dram could only stare as he saw Rai'nish just down her ale like it was water, his eyes were wide and he gripped the mug in his hand in irritation.  Damn, she was gonna drink him under the table!  This wasn't gonna look well, not just for him, but what would his troop think when he was done.  He knew they wouldn't dare ridicule him; he'd set them straight before long, but there was always the chance of one wise ass saying something smart.  And sometimes that was all it took.

Dram tossed back the rest of his drink and slammed the counter for another.  Two more came and he looked at Rai'nish dead in the eyes before he tried to down his too like water.  He choked halfway but kept drinking until it was finished.  He wasn't going to let this chump show him yet again.  And she even had the gall to mock him with all that running again.  She'd run another marathon tomorrow if she wasn't careful.

"No," he said dangerously, having another glass slid to him, and watching her carefully.  "It isn't bad at all.  But be careful, runt, you're drinking with the big boys now.  We don't play games here."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She was such a lady. She even covered her mouth when she opened her lips to burp. It was a quiet noise and she still had the good graces to blush after the incident was done with and she looked thoughtfully at her next thing of ale before she heard Dram choke. Her hand went out ready to smack him on the back because she heard that, for some strange reason, hitting backs made people okay.

Or something. Rai had never really paid attention to the whole deal with the back smacking.

After he drank his down in one long gulp she watched as another was passed to him and she drank hers too. It would taste like piss if it were warm. Couldn't let it go warm. She smacked her lips and gave a stretch, her arms going into the aiir and her chest pressing against the not-see-through-anymore-but-damp cloth that made up her top. Or at least made up the part of her outfit that hid her breasts.

"So. What makes this the big boys?" Rai'nish winked and eyed his waist line. "I assume it's the broad shoulders and big belts?" Was anyone even wearing a belt?

Lion

Dram rolled his eyes as she tried to be all ladylike.  What a weakling, he thought and tried to down the other beer only to stop a quarter of the way in.  He didn't have the belly for all that drinking, and was already feeling dizzy with two mugs all by themselves.  He looked at her with quickly moving eyes and he leaned in close, trying to intimidate her with his glaring, irritated gaze.

"Big boys?  We're the best of the best!  We've got better skills than any one thief alone.  I make sure that we're all ready for anything at a moment's notice."  Dram leaned his head on the counter, almost as if all that talking was too much for him.  With a sigh and the leaning of his ice cold glass next to his head, he was relieved and felt better.

"We don't wear belts...unless they're used for stealin stuff!  Or hold up our pants!" his words were slurring slightly.  "What the hell are you doing here anyway?  How did you even get inducted!  You're too scrawny to be a good bandit.  But...at least your ass can run."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ah... Rai'nish stared at him while he slowly put his head on the table top. Was he supposed to be doing that? Was he sick? She pursed her lips and smiled before she downed her third glass while listening to him patiently. At least her ass could run.

"I'm good at running." She said softly before she flagged down the man wth the drinks to get another. Of course that went down quickly too and she was feeling a little fluttery in the head area before she rested her head down on the table. A sort of mimic to Dram.

"Cap'n. Why're you the cap'n?" She paused for a moment, "S'it 'cause you're so meeeean?"

Lion

Barely on his third glass and he was already starting to feel the dizzies, if he kept his eyes open the room would feel like it was spinning.  And these weren't even swivel chairs!  Dram held onto his glass and tried to look at her threateningly when she rested her head down like him but already he felt his ego begin to go up in alarm when she started to get another glass.

"Look here, woman," he snapped, and grabbed her by the shoulder, pulling his head up from the table.  "If I'm too meeeean for you, get your tail outta my camp!  Can't take the heat?  Is it all a little too much for you?   I'm Captain of this squad 'cause I get the goddamn job done!  That's right.  You got a problem?  You wanna fight!?"

Dram aggressively drank the rest of his glass and downed it like water.  He snatched hers too and downed that until the coldness of the liquid froze his head and he groaned in agony.  "What's your name?  Rai'nish?  You're trying to make me look bad aren't you?  With all the drinking and finishing your glass first!"  Dram slammed the glasses down and signaled for more.  He was getting drunk far too fast, but he wasn't going to let her show him up.  Not again.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ha. Rai'nish stared at him with her mouth slightly open in a sort of smile which kind of showed off her white teeth. He said 'meeeean' that was funny!  While he was getting angrier and angrier she just smiled and stared at him with her large green eyes and she blinked owlishly and then rose her head and stared some more.

She wasn't hearing anything. But he did have nice lips. And the scar on his face was kinda sexy. Mmm, scars. Rai'nish tilted her head when she heard her name through all the mumbling, saw him slam her glass back down and then frowned when he said something about making him look bad.

She was not!  She was trying to fit in! "I'm... Just drinkin', Cap'n! With the big boys!" Rai'nish thumped her chest once with her fist and then downed the next drink that they gave her and then turned to Dram with a proud smile. "You know," she leaned in after looking around suspicously, "You have a nice butt."

Lion

Dram was getting aggressive.  Drinking always made him aggressive and he whirled around in his seat, dropping it as he tried to stand he put his hands on Rai'nish' shoulders to steady himself.  He like he'd been running for days and while he was was never like this after a run, his head was spinning like he hadn't slept, or eaten or drank.  He grumbled something about losing his seat and dizzily tried to get the stool back on all fours again.

When that was done, he sat down again, almost falling over.  "Butt?  You trying to call me an ass?  Look here, girly!  I've whooped.....oi, whooped more....ASSssssssssssss, than....Oh gods, my head is spinning."  He leaned on the table and looked at her with glazed eyes.  He stared at her chest with a snarl when she thumped it with her fist, and a stray hand reached out to grab on of them.  "Too big," he muttered bitterly, still feeling her boob.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn