Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Shadow in the Sun (Closed)

Started by Lion, September 19, 2011, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Running, he felt like he'd been running his whole life.  Of course, in reality he'd only been running for a few hours, but already his heart rapped against his ribs as if it were about to burst.  He couldn't stop, couldn't even if the dogs were hot on his trail.  He knew the horrors their teeth would inflict on his flesh if they caught up to him.  He had to keep going, everything in him told him that stopping even for a second would mean certain death.  Yet it wasn't death he feared for he was an Umbraeon and death was a part of life as war was.  It was the thought of what would happen to him should he not die, but instead be captured.

He moved southward as carefully as he could.  Evidently it wasn't careful enough, for it wasn't long before he interrupted the business of these Plains slavers.  He tried to hide to shake him off his trail but nothing worked.  And already he'd covered miles toward the south and when he reached the desert edge he was sure that would deter his pursuers.  He did not expect them to press for him even harder though, and with his skin as dark volcanic soot, he'd stand out against the sands.  Even if he could run such long distances without tiring, he knew he couldn't run forever and furthermore, he knew his pursuers knew that as well.

The sun was high and sweat drenched his face so that he was blinded.  Hysaeda made his way between a set of dunes and stopped to rest only for a moment.  He glanced behind him after wiping away the sweat from brow and eyes.  He saw the horsemen riding hard across the sand, their dogs running free and well ahead of them.  Hysaeda looked back ahead and immediately began again, scaling the dune nearest him despite his body's dire protest.  His throat was dry and hoarse, feet aching and blistered.  Behind him he heard the whines and barks and snarls of dogs on the hunt.  Sand shifted as they too began their climb.

As he reached the zenith of the dune, one hound had been quicker than the rest and made a leap for his throat.  Hysaeda was knocked down with the force and tumbled backwards down the dune, struggling against the beast that snapped its ugly, gnarled teeth at him.  Those teeth cut into his arm that came up to guard his face.  He grunted and snarled at the dog and clubbed it across the skull with his fist.  The dog came off him just as he tumbled to the bottom of the dune.  But the other hounds grew excited and ever eager to get a taste of their prey as their brother had done.  Each made a jump for Hysaeda.  He knocked two away from him, they yelped in surprise, but the other three jumped at just the right moment, knocking him down on his back.

Hysaeda struggled against the three that worked to get at his face and neck.  His arms were scraped, scratched, and embedded with teeth marks and bleeding where their teeth had gotten through.  A dog bit at his leg and he tried to kick off the animal but it clung fast.  He yelled out in pain and knew it would only be a matter of time before the slavers caught up to him.

He was tried and worn out and could have sworn he was starting to hallucinate as he heard the whistle of an object moving fast through the air.  It collided with the dogs, knocking one off him and he heard the yelps as it sailed to the side.  Another dog was struck and cried as it ran off.  It all happened so fast, Hysaeda barely had time to register it.  His eyes were blurry and they were sore as he saw the figure peer over him, nothing more than a shadow against the sunlight.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Throwing rocks only did so much, but Panya wasn't about to let the dogs savage that poor man. Racing over, she stood over the prone man, banishing her cooking pan at the fleeing dogs. Once she was sure they were gone, she turned to the man, dropping to her knees beside him.

"Are you okay?! I think I drove the dogs away, but they might come back. Can you stand?" She fumbled at her waist and pulled out a water skin, "I have some water. Oh, please don't be dead!"

Lion

He might have died at that moment and could have cared less, at least then, he'd be free of the sun, of the stifling heat and of the threat of eternal slavery at the hands of his pursuers.  Time, time was all he could think of despite the sun that blinded him and the sweat that carried sand on his body when he tumbled through it.

The shadow must have been a figment of his imagination, it must have.  But there was a voice and his eyes blurred and flickered open.  His vision readjusted and fear suddenly set in him.  The slavers got him!  And it was getting a knife to cut him open.  Hysaeda's heart pounded like prey, but his instincts made tired limbs ready for action.  He shoved his arms at the figure, intent on pushing them away and rolled in the opposite direction, landing in a crouch.  "Get away!" he snapped savagely, desperately, deliriously.  "I'll kill you before you capture me!  I swear I will!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Panya squealed and fell back on her butt, startled at the man's reaction, "Oh! What? No! Calm down! I don't want to capture anyone!" She spread her arms wide, the waterskin dangling from one hand, "It's okay! I'm a friend!"

Lion

Hysaeda flashed sharp teeth at her.  "You're no friend of mine!  Don't lie to me!  You're one of them!"  He scrambled up on wobbly legs, legs that gave out immediately under him and his elongated ears twitched at the sounds of hooves crushing sand.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Okay, well, we aren't friends now but I'm not capturing anyone!" Panya shook her head, eyes wide with alarm, "I mean, I couldn't capture anyone. I have some water, okay?"

Lion

Hysaeda didn't have time to assert normal introductions and time was far too valuable to waste on this stranger.  Obviously she was telling the truth or she would have attacked him or brandished some kind of weapon if she truly was an enemy.  He cursed himself for having to leave most of his gear behind.  Perhaps it was foolish of him to have done so, but there had been no choice in the matter.  He was far from home and he realized now that he could not squander any chances of finding supplies when he had the opportunity.

"If that's so...then hand it over.  Quickly, there's not much time!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Panya handed it over, still confused and a little frightened, her heart pounding. But it was a good fear, the sharp, exciting fear of adventure, "Time? Are the dogs gonna come back?"

The poor man looked awful, worn out and dehydrated and he didn't look like any species she was used to.

Lion

He may have snatched the thing a little to quickly, but he didn't care for manners right now.  He downed the water until his thirst was sated, which was significantly so and handed it back to her, the skin nearly empty.  Wiping his mouth he looked back and heard the neighs of horses far too close for comfort.  He cursed again in Sevic and suddenly found strength to stand. Just before he bolted off in a run, he cast his eyes backwards.  "No time, gotta go.  And I would run if I were you.  Like NOW!"  And he took off toward a set of dunes, on wobbly tired legs that sent him in all directions.

The dune behind them suddenly had horsemen eclipsing the sun as they made their way over the sands and down towards them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Huh?" Panya turned and gasped when she say the horsemen and scrambled up the dune after the man, "Hey! Wait for me! Don't leave me!"

As she wasn't as worn out, she caught up with him, panting and flushed, "You are not very nice!"

Lion

Hysaeda could have easily left her in the dust if he wasn't so tired himself.  He seriously didn't think he could out run these bastards if the chase went on any further, but that doubt would only be crippling.  He looked back and his jaw dropped.  She was running after him!  As if he didn't have enough to worry about!

"What...the hell are....you doing!?" Hysaeda breathed.  "Nice time later....if I make it out of this.  Just run, you fool!"  But the horsemen were faster.  One came out from the side with a net extended.  Two more  came from the other side with another net.  They tossed the nets at them with direction and aim.

Hysaeda stopped to pay attention to the one on his right, and dodged it barely before getting tangled in the one on his left.  This was it this was the end!  Or was it?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

While Panya wasn't much of a fighter, she had been around enough her reflexes weren't bad. Grabbing the man under his arm, she stumbled a little as his legs tangled in the net, but she kept scrambling forward.

She swore a streak in her native language, pulling at the net awkwardly to untangle it, "I hope you have a plan!"

Lion

Plan, schman!  Now was no time for plans!  Hysaeda was too busy being dragged by the net that got him as the horseman ruthlessly rode on with his horse in a trot.  Hysaeda's feet caught hold of a large rock sticking out from the sand and he leaned backwards and found strength in him to pull the net, yanking the horseman out of his saddle and into the dirt.  Hysaeda threw off the net at the opening and scrambled toward the horseman.  He snatched the dagger out of his hand and proceeded to smash it down into his chest when something hit him hard on the back of his head.  So hard, Hysaeda twisted around and looked up to see another horseman standing over him with the pommel of his sword partly bloodied.

That was the last thing Hysaeda saw before he collapsed on the ground, dropping the dagger, unconscious.  The leader sheathed his sword and looked at the two.  "What a prize we found, boys," he remarked with a sneer.  "Take them both.  The girl too."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Panya screamed as the man grabbed hold of her. She twisted and kicked, but she was no match for the practiced slavers. Arms twisted behind her back, Panya felt a cloth shoved over her nose and mouth and it wasn't long before she lost consciousness.

Lion

Hysaeda felt his eyelids open up hours later.  Night had fallen and the air was far too chill.  Shivers ran through him but at least he found he could breath and though his body felt worn out beyond repair, he was gradually recovering from his spot there on the sand.  He coughed lightly and spat small rocks where they'd found entry into his mouth.  His head hurt where he'd been bashed but he remembered everything and he saw the slavers not too far of sitting around a fire, one drifting off as he was set to stand watch, the others sleeping.  The horses were tethered a few yards away and he tried to move his arms only to find they were bound.  The knots were good and didn't budge no matter what.  He was in a sitting position, tied back to back with that strange crazy girl that got herself captured too.

Hysaeda glanced over his shoulder and nudged the girl.  "Hey....you, psychobiddy, the one with the water skin, wake up."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It took a moment for Panya to come too, her head heavy and her mouth felt dry. Blinking, she looked around, confused, "What? I don't understand all your words."

Everything came rushing back and she straightened, staring around her, "Are...oh. This, um, this seems quite bad."

Lion

[For some reason, I seem to be unable to delete my posts.  So, I had to edit it and just put a whoops in space of it for accidentally posting in the wrong thread.]

"Psh, you're telling me," Hysaeda muttered bitterly.  "I'm the one with the massive headache and you think it's bad, tch.  At least they didn't gag us.  Listen, I'm going to escape from here and if you don't want me to leave you here to be sold as a slave, you need to tell me just what the hell you were thinking by following me!  What is wrong with you!?  This is all you're fault."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

((We were getting complaints of people deleting posts that they shouldn't be deleting and other things, so we disabled people's ability to delete their posts))

"What?!" Panya's voice was a shocked whisper, "Are you serious? Don't you blame this on me. You were the one that was being chased. I was trying to help!"

Everything had happened so fast and she hadn't even known where to run or what to do. Sticking with him had seemed a lot less terrifying then being alone.

Lion

[I see.]

"You're crazy, definitely.  You don't know who I am.  I could have been a murderer, or a rapist and you just decide to help me.  Only crazy people do that, or idiots...but I'm the idiot for getting caught.  But if you hadn't tagged along, I could have out run them with no problem."  That last bit was a half-truth, because he was essentially half-dead by the time they caught him, but it didn't really matter now.  Hysaeda sighed and struggled against the knot of his bonds.  The rope chaffed against his wrists until they were rubbed raw and he twisted his arm a little from behind his back.  But no matter which way he turned, he still could not tear free.  "Even if it is your fault, and it is, I think I still might help you get out of here.  Do you have any kind of knife or something that to cut these ropes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Panya gaped, jaw dropping, "Now that is just unfair! And stop talking so fast, I can't keep up with your words." Common wasn't her native language and Hysaeda's rapid speech was hard for her to follow in places, "But just because I tried to help someone in trouble doesn't make me bad."

When Hysaeda started squirming, Panya let a hiss of pain, her own ropes twisting against her wrists, "Ah! Um, I might? I had a small one in my belt, but I can't feel if it is still there or not. The sheath is still there. I can't reach it though."

Her own speech was lightly accented, the way she shaped the words just a little odd.