Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not sleeping on the job! Honest!

Started by Jim the Viking, November 01, 2011, 07:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim the Viking

Tavath watched, stunned, as Dorothea reached for his dagger and cursed as she slipped her arms from his grip.  He blanched as the girl held the dagger at her throat and put his hands up in a calming gesture.

"Easy there, Dorothea," he said, taking a small step toward the girl.  "Just put the knife down, lass.  Ain't no way I'd let you go back there.  Ain't no life for a girl, but I don't want ye t'be thinkin' I'm some sorta hero ridin' in from a fae-story t'save ya.  I'll do what I can, though, t'convince the envoy ta let ye come home with us, though.  Just," he added as he motioned to the ground with his hands, "just put the dagger down, lass.  Please."

Clair

Tears streamed down her cheeks, creating streaks. Inside, Dorothea was laughing. She enjoyed this sort of play; Tavath was weaker than he appeared. He wouldn't let a girl he thought might be unstable kill herself, and he wouldn't let her be left uncared for.

"No," she choked. "I can'in. Not if I have nowhere to turn. I can'in go back, Tavath. I can'in!"

Jim the Viking

Tavath took another step toward Dorothea and shook his head.  "I never said anythin' about you goin' back, lass," he said, taking another step closer to her.  When he was an ell and a half from the girl, he launched himself at her, wrapping his left hand around the blade as he tackled her to the ground.

As he lay atop the girl, he wrestled the blade from her hands and tossed it aside, drops of blood from the long cut in his hand splashing on the foliage.  "Ansgar, woman!" he said angrily, "Are ye mad?  Ye coulda died there!"

Clair

Dorothea shrieked as they fell. Her hands flew up, to defend herself; as the blade was pulled from her hand, she shoved her hands against the man's shoulders. Her heart racing, her breath coming in gasps, she looked up at him in shock. "I--Get off me," she said, although her voice was calm.

She was grinning inside. He had already stepped up to be more than she'd expected. Maybe he'd be useful after all.

Jim the Viking

Tavath stared into Dorothea's eyes, the braids of his beard and plaits of his hair beating against her chin as he shook his head.  "No," he said firmly, his gaze flicking to where the dagger lay, five or six paces distant, then back to the girl.  "Not unless ye promise yer not gonna get any crazy ideas, lass.  Is that understood?"

Clair

Dorothea glared up at him, pushing at his shoulders again, but to no avail. She finally seemed to deflate. Her hands fell from his shoulders and down beside her head, on the ground. Bright, teary green eyes stared up at him desperately. "Tavath...?" she said, her voice sounded choked with emotion.

For a moment, Dorothea wondered why he cared so much. Perhaps he was just one of those self-sacrificing types? Well, if that were true he'd definitely be a faithful pawn to have.

Jim the Viking

Tavath nodded as Dorothea's hands fell to the ground.  He rolled off of the girl and stood, pulling Dorothea to her feet as he did so.  "Aye, lass," he said quietly as he wrapped the girl in an awkward hug.  "Don't worry none; Tavath's not gonna let anyone hurt ye - you've my word on it."

Clair

Shakily, Dorothea returned the hug, although she wasn't usually one for hugs- even when she was pretending. Hugs felt a bit... awkward. She looked up at him with her teary eyes and tried to give him a reassuring smile. "I--I'm really... sorry," she murmured, her head bowing ashamed. As she bowed her head, Dorothea finally allowed herself to smirk. Now she had some of the upper hand.

Jim the Viking

Tavath looked at Dorothea and nodded as he took a step back.  His hands still on the girl's shoulders, he smiled at her and looked around the garden.  "Nothin' to apologize for, lass," he said gently.  "Nothin' at all."

He smiled at her for a moment more, then quickly pulled his hands away from the girl.  "Ansgar's teeth!" he cursed as he stared at the large, wet, bloody mark he'd left on the shoulder of her jacket.  "Lass, I'm sorry, I didn't mean t'get yer jacket all bloody; I didn't even realize I was bleedin' and..." he trailed off and looked at Dorothea sheepishly.  "Sorry, lass," he said lamely as he shook his head.

Clair

Dorothea glanced down at his shoulder, startled, but smiled softly. "It' alright, Tavatha," she reached out and took his bleeding hand. "Let me take care of this." She pulled him gently back towards the bench, and pushed him back into sitting. She plucked a few soft velvety leafs from a nearby bush and wrapped his hand in them, applying light pressure.

Jim the Viking

Tavath hissed as Dorothea pressed the leaves into his hand and shook his head.  "No, lass," he said through clenched teeth, "Dorothea, it's fine. You don't have t' worry, it's just a gash, an' I've had far worse than it."  He pulled his hand away from hers and flexed it, making sure that the leaves did not fall away.  "Thank you, though," he said.

He looked around the garden and blushed as he looked back at Dorothea before quickly looking at a point on the garden wall some dozen or so paces behind her.  "Well, uh, lass," he said after a moment.  "What plans've you got for lodgin' fer the night?  I mean, the envoy an' the rest of  us, we're at an inn not too far from here, an'..."  He trailed off as his cheeks flushed a deeper red.

Clair

She shrugged, bowing her head a bit. Her eyes seemed to glaze over, looking distant. "I haven't anywhere to spend the night, Tavath. I sleep wherever I can find a quiet place to lie my head down." Dorothea smiled up at him. "This place, this garden, that's why I came here. It's quiet and beautiful."

Jim the Viking

"Well, lass," he said hesitantly, "I'm fair sure you'd be able to stay th' night in my room.  Not that," he added, his face flushing again, "Not that I was suggestin' we'd...I mean, you can have the bed, I'll be on watch f'r the night, so..."

Tavath shook his head offered Dorothea a sheepish smile as he shrugged his shoulders.  "Y'know what I meant, right, lass?"

Clair

She gave a kindhearted laugh, that was actually genuine, and nodded. "Aye, Tavath, I understand what you mean. But are you sure?"