Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Theif

Started by Haze, December 02, 2011, 03:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

It was bound to happen.
It was two years in the making.
She'd gotten to comfortable with travelling, she's never had to think about it. She'd been lucky.

It was one city Cairis hadn't been before. Arca. It was stunning. As she roamed, she stayed close to the walls, fingers drifting lingeringly over stonework. It felt good not to be smothered by the hood of her cloak, Cairis decided as she ambled into the bustling streets of the city. She lifted her hand momentarily from the wall she was currently carressing, and locked a stray strand of hair behind one ear. She took her time bringing her hand down, fingers gently dragging across her long earrings. A gift from her mother. A small whimsical smile crossed her lips as the fond memory of her eighteenth birthday, a day she'd left home.

Peering through the streets and allyways, Cairis knew that she was most certainly in a better part of town than most, but she still managed to find street vendor selling small apples and other fruits. With eyes set on the fare she headed over, hair brushing against her pointed chin stubbornly, until she reached and tucked both side securely behind both ears. The vendor, an older woman, greeted her warmly as soon as coin was in her hand, stopping to ask Cairis had she been here before, and was she staying long?

Cairis responded with a quiet "No, I don't know yet, and Thank you" and headed toward a decorative fountain in the center of the market. Setting herself down, legs swung to one side, the young woman took in her surroundings with delight. As she did so, a ray of sun hit the spot where she was sitting, and in a moment of complete surrender, she lifted her face towards the warmth, and closed her eyes. It was idyllic. Until a tug at her waist sprung her eyes open. There! A little rat... well...  not a rat, but a child no more than 10 running off with her purse.

"Stop!" She cried, "Help!" the most indignant she'd ever been in her life. She came to life, cheeks flushing red, and bolted from her place. Taking the edge of her long skirt in one hand, Cairis began to run after the little mite. But gods he was fast! Her breath came in short little gasps, lungs suddenly made of sand. He twisted and turned down alleyways, and without thinking Cairis blindly followed.

"Hold up then, luv."

Right into the waiting arms of the biggest, burliest, most rubarbative man she'd seen in her life - complete with knife, and menacing grin.

Lion

There was a buzzing in his ear, a faint one that seemed to drone on and on like a busy little bee.  Raif stared out on the horizon as they approached the city by carriage.  Here half a day and already he was bored.  Somebody was talking to his right and he glanced over to see it was his father's steward that'd accompanied him to Arca, as the High Lord of Fallial refused to let his second eldest go alone on this little business venture.  Honestly, he was a grown man, not a child.  He was just settling some business at a few warehouses his father owned, not venturing into a stinking pit full of bandits and beasts!  Raif leaned on his arm and just watched the sky, not even listening to the steward as he wagged his jaw on and on in an inane conversation he was having with himself.

"Wouldn't you agree, my young lord?"

"..."

"Master Raifael."

"Huh?  What?  Oh,...yes,  I suppose."

The steward eyed him, knowing the young man wasn't even listening, and was about to remark on the matter when Raif spoke up first.  "Are we nearly there, driver?  I don't think the warehouses are stacked underneath the city are they?  This shouldn't be taking this long."

"Aye, sir, we're almost there," the drive said back simply.

"You're too impatient Master Raifael."

"Raif."

"There's actually another place we'll have to stop that's much closer first before we get to the warehouses, Master Raifael."

"Raif."

"What?"

"I prefer Raif!"

"And you're going to have to watch your tone, young sir.  I'm your father's personal steward."

"One of many to be sure.  He's the High Lord of Fallial after all."

"For someone who so hold his station in life with all pride and glory of his being, you're just another smart ass.  Now don't go expecting any future kindness if you go around acting like an ass.  Now strap up, I thought you'd be grateful to go on this excursion.  Certainly much more than that brother of yours.  You're a strapping lad, and business is business.  You might not be the Heir, but you've got promise if your brains really are as sharp as your tongue."

"Yes, yes.  I understand."  Raif sighed and stared out the window again.  They were in the city now and soon the carriage stopped at the center of the market place like the steward had said they would.  He couldn't even be bothered to remember the man's name, for Father had to have so many of them.  Raif stared at the sights of the city, not remembering the last time he'd come to Arca.

The steward had gotten out as well and met with a pair of well-dressed men and immediately began the discussion of numbers and figures that Raif would be more interested in at any other time.  The damn steward was right.  He should have been grateful to have been sent out on this business venture, for here was an opportunity to do his father proud, to show him he had more to offer than simply being second-born.  He looked down and stared forlornly at the glove that covered his left hand and squeezed the leather as he made a fist.  He heard the steward call his name then footsteps as he walked back into the building.  Raif ignored it and instead walked off toward the center market fountain.  He was contemplative and withdrawn, lost in thought, almost too much before he heard sounds that took his attention.

Sounds of trouble.  Raif furrowed his brow felt his heart leap just above his adam's apple.  He didn't like the sounds and it wasn't long before courage got the better of him, smashing over good sense, and he bounded off in a jog towards the sounds of disturbance.  His eyes searched as he followed the frantic footsteps through meandering alleyways until eventually he came across a giant of a man, holding such a tiny woman with a hungry dagger in hand.  Immediately instinct made Raif reach for the hilt of one of his rapiers, Scorch.  He drew and stared the brute right in the eyes.  "What are you doing, fool?  Let her go.  Now!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Cairis shook as the big man took her in his arms, holding her close to him. He smelled or sweat and ale and general filth. It took all she had in her not to vomit all over him. But then again, maybe he deserved it.

Oh, of course Cairis thought, closing eyes that were already covered by the expanse of the burly man's chest. he's not alone. I bet this is is boss, or something. Oh gods, what are they going to do to me. I wish I carried a knife. I hate being helpless She almost attempted to stomp of the big man's foot, but was instead spun around to face the new commer. The man was so tall her feet barely touched the ground. His arm around her waist was like a vice, and she gasped out a breath with the movement.

"I wouldn't do anything reckless, boy." A cold shock of metal grazed over Cairis' neck, and her lilac eyes widened in surprise, only momentarily registering that the 'boy' had a hand to a weapon, and with a rush a relief, she realised he wasn't part of some dirty criminal gang. No. He was dressed finer than anyone in this back alley.

The man gave a menacing chuckle, clutching her tighter. He bent his head down, his mouth shockingly close to her ear, and inhaled noisily. "Mmm... she smells so good, and clean too. If you behave I'll leave her for you when I'm done." Cairis she clenched her eyes shut, swallowing hard against the weapon at her throat.  

"And who is she to you, in any case." The man sneered, digging the point of his dagger just a little harder into her throat. Cairis opened her eyes again, her eyes scared, helpless, pleading with the young man to do something. Anything.

Lion

Raif's hand gripped the hilt of the rapier harder as he stared into the eyes of the brute with a narrow mean gaze of his own.  They were going to kill her if he wasn't careful and though he could easily summon the magic of Scorch to burn that bastard's face off he preferred not to lest the flame grow wild and burn the woman too.  He was a fighter, not much of a mage after all.  He listened to the way the man spoke and he grimaced.

There was that word again.  Boy.  True he was male, but he was no boy and he certainly wasn't going to take such a slander from the likes of streetwise rabble.  The giant had a point though, what was this strange woman to him.  If he'd been thinking properly he would have just walked away.  He didn't know this woman and perhaps it would have been better to not get involved.  He was a gentleman after all and not some knight.  What right did he have to shed blood?  ....He almost sheathed his rapier then.  But then again, what right did they?  No right at all.

"I'm no vigilante if you think that's what I am," he said dangerously.  "But if you think you can get away with hurting this innocent woman, you better think again.  Not that I think you can think that fast.  But we'll see what we can do, eh?"  Raif seemed like he was about to sheathe Scorch he spun around and summoned the flame from the rapier.  Out came a whiplash of fire and he struck it across the brute's face, searing the flesh there and narrowly avoiding the woman.  "Move!" he called out, stopping the flame momentarily, giving her time to escape if she was so inclined, all the while the giant man screamed in pain as his face underwent the torture of fire.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

"I'm no vigilante if you think that's what I am," Cairis's heart almost stopped beating. He wasn't going to help her. For a split second the girl considered her options. But that was all it took. A second. She had no other options. But then he continued, his tone dark  "But if you think you can get away with hurting this innocent woman, you better think again. Not that I think you can think that fast. But we'll see what we can do, eh?"

In that instant the weapon in his hand shot a flame across the alley. Cai felt the heat of it against her skin, avoiding it's wrath at the young man's shout. She didn't need to be told twice. The man had dropped the dagger at her throat, it fell to the ground with a clatter, and Cairis used the opportunity to twist her way out of his distracted grasp. She dropped to the ground, shaking fingers sweeping across the cobblestones to pick up the forgotten weapon, and then ran for her life, behind Raif.

Clutching his face, and shouting obscenities in his agony, the man backed away. "Stop, Stop" shouted, as he turned his back to Cairis and Raif. It was all Cairis could to, to stop herself from shouting "Hah!" as the rubarbative creature tried to run from the flaming tendrils. But she didn't, her voice was lost. Her face was ashen white, and her hands shook uncontrollably. She put a cold hand, albeit slowly, on her rescuer's wrist, as if to say that it was enough. The man had stopped running and was cowering like a child, whimpering like a girl. He wouldn't do anything like this again.

"F-f-forget him" she managed to stutter out, before slumping herself ungracefully to the ground, her knees given way.

Lion

Raif had stopped.  He knew when enough was enough, though everything in him that was spiteful and full of anger wanted to hurt the man even more for even considering hurting another that had no way of defending themselves.  The man was a fool and a brute and it was only a matter of time before something like that happened to him.  It could have been worse, he knew.  But whatever gods were out there, they allowed this man to hang by the thread of fate just a little while longer.

The man ran away afterward, leaving them behind while his gang followed in his wake.  "Are you all right, miss?" Raif said after sheathing his sword.  "That'll be the last of them if he was smart.  You must have a death wish to be consorting around with the likes of street brigands.  But we get what we sew don't we?  He brought it on himself anyhow."

Raif held out a hand for her to take to help her up.  He was a gentleman after all and Father would not take kindly to hear that one of his sons left a lady on the ground when they could have helped them up.  "You look sick.  I hope he didn't scare you too badly."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis blinked away a dark splotch in her vision, before taking the hand extended to her. "Thank you." Using his hand as a lever, she hoisted herself up slowly, testing slightly wobbly legs before letting go. Upon doing so, she brought her hand up to her neck, where the dagger had momentarily made its bed.

As she pulled her hand away, she noticed there was a little blood. He'd obviously pressed harder than she'd realised. For a moment her stomach churned and she turned away lest she be sick all over the gentleman. She put her hand again to her neck and closed her eyes. She waited for the familiar warmth spread through her fingers, but it never came. Slightly confused, and with a hesitant smile she turned back to Raif.

"I'm okay. Not harmed badly." She spoke softly, but with dignity as she managed to pull herself together. She put a hand to her belt, wanting to offer any sort of gift for the stranger's assistance, and then remembered the whole reason she'd come to the alleyway. A little waif had taken her money.

She lifted her hand to her clammy head, and a small groan left her lips. "Except that I want to say thank you, but I've been robbed." She dropped her hand, and as she looked down, she realised she still held the gang member's dagger. Tentatively, she turned it over in her hand, and extended it towards Raif. "Please, take this. I have nothing else to offer. "

Lion

Raif nodded, content to see that the woman was okay.  She didn't seem to take violence very well but where he came from it was a common thing.  He was trained to expect things like that and though he was no knight like his brother, he knew how to handle himself in a fight.  As long as she was primarily unscathed, he had done his job.

"That's good," he said lowly.  But he frowned when she tried to offer him something in return as a reward.  "What?  No, no, no.  That won't be necessary.  It's my duty, so to speak, to help those in need.  And if I can do one more good thing in the world before I die, then all is well."  He smiled and only nodded again.

"You've been robbed have you?  By that bastard that was about to cut your throat?  Or one in his league?  Well, we'll just have to get back what belongs to you don't we?"  It was so unusual for him to go out of his way like this, but if it meant getting another chance to have at that stupid son of a bitch with no courtesy for life, then he was all for it.  But he remembered something quickly and apologized.  "I am sorry, where are my manners.  I'm Raif.  And who might you be to be getting into this kind of trouble?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis looked down at the rejected dagger with a slight frown, but withdrew her hand, and after a moment's hesitation slipped the weapon into the belt around her waist. She needed a weapon anyway.

"Yes, robbed. I was sitting by the fountain, and some little theif came and took my coin pouch." She placed a hand absently to the place the pouch usually sat, and shrugged. "I thought I could follow him, but somewhere along the way he dissappeared, and I ran into ... well... you saw that bit. I don't know if the theif was part of the group ... but he was probably."

She took a moment to take a good look at the young man. He certainly dressed like a gentleman, he even spoke like one. He had a confident air around him, she felt like she'd be okay if he was around. It was silly though, she berated herself. He was just a kind stranger, passing through. And then he offered his name.

"... Raif. And who might you be to be getting into this kind of trouble?"

"Stupid," she replied with a contrite grimace, "otherwise known as Cairis. You may call me Cai, though." She sighed and her eyes. Feeling somewhat safer with a weapon at her disposal, she considered Raif's suggestion to get back her belongings. She cautiously gazed at Raif, soft lips pursed in thought. "You know, I think we should go get the little ..." she almost swore, but bit it back. She didn't want to sound low. "Let's go see if I can get my money back. I still need to pay for a room tonight."

Lion

He couldn't help a chuckle that escaped him.  She had a quick wit, he liked that.  It was always those that were more alike that were more drawn together than those that were far too different to be able to relate.  He could appreciate a fast mind and an even faster tongue.  It was clear she was intelligent and though she got into a bit of trouble, she didn't seem the type to go looking for it.

"It is good to meet you Cairis.  Or Cai, as you prefer.  Though I would much rather have had it under better circumstances, don't you agree.  In any event, let's go see where that little rat went."  Raif started down the alley, backtracking where the gang had fled.  It was easy to follow because of the stench they all gave off and no doubt street rats didn't bathe often.  It wasn't like Raif to look down on people, not like that.  But he didn't like those that bullied others to gain the upper hand, especially when there was always plenty of work to be done around the city and country side.  But some people, of course, couldn't be expected to follow the rules.

He cast a glance back at her and furrowed his brows.  "Room?  You're not from here then are you?  I suppose getting robbed is as good a welcome as any when first coming into town."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis' small legs stuggled to keep up, and her usually unremarkable walk became a somewhat comical combination of skipping and running. She inwardly cursed her short legs, and the height of her companion, but said nothing. She wasn't about to complain to the person who had undoubtedly saved her life, and now was helping her retrieve what was rightfully hers.

She crinkled her nose as the smell of filth grew stonger. Her already upset stomach churned a little more. She felt a little silly, realising that she really wasn't as stoic as she thought she was. In fact, she was coming close to being a sappy mess. Couldn't she just deal with this all a little better? It wasn't like she was mortally wounded, she hadn't been violated. But she'd come pretty darn close.  She hiccuped back the beginnings of a sob, bit her lips, and shook the glimmer of a tear from her eye. Pull it together, Cairis she scolded herself, and forced her eyes ahead to Raif who was speaking to her again.

"Yes, a room. As to being from around here, no. This is my first time Acra." She shrugged as if resigned to her fate. "I am from Serendipity, though. Just slowly making my way through the world. " She gave a short "hah!" and shook her head again, dropping her eyes from Raif's face, and searching the path beneath them, in case the simple brown leather pouched had been dropped. "I'm going to have to be a whole lot tougher though, I think."

"I can't say thank you enough, though, Raif. You certainly don't look like ...." she paused, frowning and searching for the right words, her eyes raking over Raif from head to toe in to most discreet manner possible. "What I mean is, you don't look like you'd be the type to normally wander down back alleys. How did you find us?"

Lion

The path was getting narrower and Raif angled his body to walk through it easier.  He bumped his shoulder a bit and while he wasn't a giant, he was bigger than his brother physically and it made getting through the narrow passage more difficult than necessary.  Raif made it to a bigger opening finally paused at the sight of two alleys leading out toward the streets.  And at the center of the opening was a coin purse.

"I guess we didn't need to go too far after all," he remarked.  He put his hands on his hips and looked around, knowing full well that though the thieves had run, they didn't need to go far.  They generally stuck to these alleys as a means of hiding from the ever-searching Long Arm of the Law.  Raif didn't care what they did or how they did it as long as they stayed away from him and his family.  He couldn't respect brigands, but he knew that some people couldn't only make their way in life the only way they knew how.  And life was not kind, even to the most deserving.

He picked up the purse and handed it back to her.  "Here you go, milady," he said, handing it over with his gloved hand.  He paused recalling she'd asked him a question.  Quickly he hid his hand underneath his right and kept his head down.  "You're right, I don't," he answered.  "I'm not from here.  Not from the city that is.  I'm from the Highlands to the west, Fallial to be exact.  I'm just here in the city to help with my father's business.  I heard you scream and I guess...bravado got the better of me and had me come running after you.  And then I saw that man with that blade around your neck.  He was a bully...I don't like bullies, so I felt it was the right thing to help you."  He tried to smile, but suddenly felt his face go red, ashamed of his hand.

"You don't have to thank me, really.  I was happy to help.  My father would have wanted me to do so."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Relieved, Cairis took the pouch and attached it's strings securely to her belt. It felt like it still had coin in it, and she decided she'd count later. Her eyes lingered for a moment on the gloved hand, but not wanting to make him uncomfortable, she said nothing. She wondered for a moment why he'd hid it so quickly. But then, everyone had their secrets, and so did she. Her hand lifted to her hair, and she pushed locks back off her flushed face.  

"You've spoken about your father a lot," she began curiously, but was unsure of how to finish. Until she realised that he really had gone out of his way to help her. He was on business. "I'm sorry I took you away... I hope you'll not be in ... trouble." Trouble was the wrong word, but for a reason she didn't really understand, words were failing her. It frustrated her. She was normally so eloquent.

Awkwardly she smiled, and said "perhaps I can help, some how? I know that my parents would want me to repay the favour. Where are you supposed to be?"

Lion

Raif scrunched the glove on his hand and brushed away his previous embarrassment.  It was such a silly thought, and he almost feared that she might be able to read his mind, but he pushed it away.  He collected himself and straightened up, throwing his shoulders back and making himself look taller if he could and knew he couldn't have her see him down or broken.

But he only smiled at her words.  "Nonsense.  Trust me, I was happy to get away.  That steward doesn't realize how longwinded he can be.  And whatever business there is to be done.  I'm sure he can do on his own.  Please, don't make me go back there." He laughed lightly in jest and began to walk out the exiting alley.

"Would you mind taking a walk with me?  It's been a long time since I've been to the city and perhaps I can show you around to what I can remember.  Perhaps you can repay that way, if it would be enough."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Steward? Really? He's important. Oh my. I could have had him killed. His father's Steward... Her mind began to race with what sort of man she had lured away from safety. Although he didn't seem to mind. As Raif squared his shoulders, so did Cairis. It seemed silly, but if he was someone important, she really should look like she belonged walking beside him. Her eyes glanced up to the hair hanging off her forhead, and again she brushed it aside. She smoothed down her shirt and skirt, and cleared her throat. Oh, you are such a fool.  She blushed a little, and cleared her throat.

"Don't worry," she replied "I shall save you from the wretched... steward." She rolled her eyes, and shook her head. She was failing miserably. She walked at Raif's side, still doing her skip-run combination to keep up. He wasn't walking fast, but his legs were long. "I'd love to walk with you," Cairis smiled up at Raif, "as long as it will take."

Curious though, she shyly asked "Wh... what is a Steward though? I mean... it's not something I've heard before, but if your father has a Steward, then he's someone important, right?"

Lion

Safety was a dream best left forgotten, the kind of ideal the poor and the faithful hoped and prayed for.  Raif couldn't say he was poor for surely the son of a High Lord had enough money to do what he pleased with it.  Gemini certainly didn't have any qualms about spending his share of gold on slaves and fools, he thought bitterly.  Raif paused and slowed his gait, waiting patiently for her to catch up to him.  It would be wiser to not think on negative things for the duration of their time together, however long that would be, he decided.

He smiled at her and put his hands behind his back, holding them their orderly-like and only grinned at her.  "That's a very good question.  And trust me, something I ask myself every day.  A steward, by my father's definition, is the one that takes care of all the business that my father can't handle.  I suppose you can tell by my clothing...my walk...and maybe even the way I talk that I'm not any ordinary citizen.  I'm a son of the High Lord of Fallial, Lord Rhys Stone.  I don't suppose you've heard of him.  I hope that doesn't put you off in anyway."

He hoped it wouldn't, but she seemed to be blushing so much already.  But just why she would, he couldn't tell.  First impressions were important to make however, and perhaps it was best that he be honest with who he was right from the start.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"I'm a son of the High Lord of Fallial, Lord Rhys Stone. I don't suppose you've heard of him. I hope that doesn't put you off in anyway."

Cairis peered at him curiously, digesting this new piece of information. She knew there was a High Lord of Fallial, but didn't know him by name. She'd known there was more to Raif than simply being a well dressed commoner. He held himself well, talked well, he was a lot kinder than many travellers she'd met along the way. So she told him so. "I hope then, that I'm not disturbing state business, Raif." She gave an apologetic smile, and continued, "I have to say though, I didn't pick you for a Lord's son. A business man, no ... not many business men carry weapons. Maybe a soldier on leave, or something like that." She stoped, realising she was prattling on. Not something she did often.

Since they'd been walking her colour had had a chance to go down, and her complexion was back to its normal creamy self. She hated when her skin flushed, whether it be because of excitement, heat or embarrasment. It was all the same. She fell silent for a while, content just to walk by her guide. She watched her feet often, only occasionally stealing a glance at Raif. She wished she knew what he was thinking. She was insanely jealous of Eloise, in that instant, who had the ability to read minds.

"You know," she said after a while, "I was always so excited to come to Acra. My family had a farm, and we never got away much. I've been travelling for nearly two years, and only now have I managed to make it here. We never heard a lot about what goes on in the cities, and so ... I hope you don't mind that I was completely ignorant of who you were. I wouldn't have let you do anything dangerous, if I'd known."

Lion

She was a pretty girl, and it wasn't often Raif was distracted by pretty young women.  The gears of his mind, much like his father's hands, were always moving, always thinking, working in one way or another that he was hard-pressed to be distracted by something shiny or glittering or beautiful.  His brother was a different story and he quickly threw away the thought before he became irritated.  There was no reason she had to see that side of him now.

But he looked at her and scrutinized her as he did everything, not finding a flaw in her visage.  She was a very beautiful and he was about to say so when she cut him off.  He blushed and turned his head toward the ground, angling it away from her eyes, as if he were a child whom got caught looking at something they weren't supposed to.  He quickly scratched his face as if it were nothing and looked at her straight away.

"Oh it's not a problem at all," he said.  "It's actually quite refreshing to be away from it all.  To meet someone who doesn't automatically expect me to be some stuffy noble high up in a tower somewhere swimming in piles of gold.  I don't carry my family around on my sleeve, just so you know."  Raif smiled kindly at her.

"You don't have to worry about me," he laughed.  "My father has a hard enough time keeping track of my brother.  He knows he doesn't have to worry about me.  Just don't tell him I go running down stray alleys saving young, beautiful women from nasty greasy brigands."  He laughed again.  "How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?  It's not often a stranger walks up to you and asks your age is it.  You must be quite bold to travel alone for someone who seems so young."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis thought she might of offended him, as he looked to the ground, and then back at him. He too, it seemed, could fall victim to blushing. She wondered what it was about. But he answered her, and he seemed completely fine, and so she brushed off the feeling that she had missed something, somehow.  

She relaxed a little as he laughed off her concern for him, realising that he probably would have done it for any other person. But wait a minute - "Beautiful..." she repeated almost inaudiably. Did he just call me beautiful? She struggled to keep the colour from rising yet again into her cheeks. She said nothing, but watched every step her foot made. She'd never been given a compliment before. Well, from her family yes, but never from a stranger.

"How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? It's not often a stranger walks up to you and asks your age is it. You must be quite bold to travel alone for someone who seems so young."

She looked up suddenly, startled by the question "I... I'm 20. Just turned." She stammered, eyes showing her surprise. She tried to loosen up, but there was something about this conversation that was making her tense. She couldn't put her finger on it. "I wouldn't say I'm... bold." She grimaced at the word, as she tried to find how she could explain her choice of life. "I guess I... I grew tired of the mundane life on the farm. I... I've always wanted to make a difference, somewhere, somehow. To feel..." her voice dropped, and "important" came out as barely a whisper.

"But what about you?" She asked "If you get to ask my age, I want to know yours."

Lion

Raif barely caught that last word she murmured and glanced at her from the corner of his eye.  Ahead of the street was getting busier and he began to wonder just how long it would take before the steward knew that Raif was no longer by his side.  It was no matter.  The old man would get heated for a good long moment then the anger would subside as it always did.

"I'm nineteen," he said.  "Just turned as well.  A few months ago that is.  I don't mind sharing.  Age is little more than a number if you ask me.  It's the life in your years, not the years in your life that really count.  So, sorry if I sound judgmental about saying you were so young.  I didn't mean to sound like I was prying...or if I offended you.  Oh, blast, look at me going on and on.  I apologize."

Raif mentally cursed himself and brushed his face again, trying to hide another blush.  "From where are you from?" he tried to continue.  "Maybe I've passed through your country side once or twice.  Do you plan on staying in the city long?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn