Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Theif

Started by Haze, December 02, 2011, 03:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

Cairis followed obligingly. After her apology was refuted with silence, she simply walked alongside the man, in her own silence. What on earth was she going to do to show Banard that she was not a vulgar little trouble maker, like he thought? She pulled a face at the memory of giving him a piece of her mind. That is why she'd always tried to hold her temper. Because temper never got you anywhere. Although, she couldn't help but admit that, after 20 years of being quiet and demure, it had felt good to finally let someone know what the thought of them.

As it turned out, she didn't have to really talk to Marznchantz at all. The tall man fussed over Benard, who still looked none the pleased. Even moreso when the words 'lovely young lady' left his mouth. Cai just raised an eyebrow at that, before her attention was captured once more by the dressmaker.

"Oh, how beautiful you are my dear!"  Cairis blushed, shaking her head just a little. How could he say that! But as he continued with the theatrics, she lightened up, and gave a half smile. She almost laughed out loud at the thought of Raif going weak at the knees, over her. Such a silly thought.

But then she was being buzzed around. "Hold you arms out please. Arms up. Arms down. Turn around. Mmmhmm... that's right." Cai couldn't help but feel a little self conscious as the man's arms went around her little waist, but it was all done in such a professional manner, her discomfort disapaited quickly. She even began to enjoy herself.

The colours and fabrics in the shop were incredible. As the tailor hemmed and hawed over her measurements, her eyes drank in as much of the finery as possible. She'd never seen such beauty. She'd never needed anything like this. For a moment a sad shadow passed over her face. She didn't belong here. Maybe she was trouble, and whatever else Benard thought of her.

Her melancholy was interrupted by a happy clap of hands. "That's it. I have the perfect gown. Come, come." Marznchantz took her by the hands, and flitted about the shop, until he found what he was looking for. As he pulled it from the rack, a little gasp escaped her. The dress was exquisite. Marznchantz continued to bustle around her, leading her to the back of the shop, where a small room awaited.

As she changed from her sorry clothes, into the finery she felt more than a little scared. What if she tripped? What if it looked horrible? What if Raif didn't like it. She didn't allow herself to look at the dress she was wearing, instead, she left the room for Benard's opinion.

"Sir?" Her voice was hesitant.

The gown was pale rose in colour, giving her skin a creamy tone. It was silk that hugged her body, uncomplicated by any embroidery. It was fitted so her tiny waist was on display, as were her bare shoulders and tall ivory neck. The neckline was simple, and dipped to give just a hint of  clevage. The sleeves were long, flaring out over her hands. The skirt too, was simple, and flared out over Cairis' hips like a tulip flower, and only here was there any specific detail - on the hip, was a small fabric rose, slightly darker in shade than the rest of the dress. And from this rose, two chiffon ribbons reaching the full length of the dress, and a triangular panel of deep pink fabric adding contrast. The skirt fell to the ground like a puddle.

"Benard? Do you think this is okay?"

Lion

Benard pulled his pocket watch out of said pocket and began to wind the contraption.  He didn't understand the intricacy that came with such tiny machines and thankfully he didn't have to.  But as he opened the watch and checked the time, he knew he that this was taking far too long than it should have.  Dinner was in about two hours.  If they kept up this long they would be late altogether and Benard groaned at the thought.  He'd never been late for anything in his life!  And this little trollop, whoever she thought she was, if she was going to make him late, he was going to leave her here altogether.  So what if Master Raifael was a little upset.  He was a grown man, he wasn't going to let a boy of nineteen boss him around!

Damn what was taking Marznchantz so long!  The man was a walking woman's handbag!  Benard had better things to do than to wait for Ms. The-Whole-Wide-World-Revolves-Around-Me!  And certainly not at the whim of a tailor that couldn't find his own behind with both hands and an ass map!  Oh calm down, old man, his mind tried to coo him.  You know you're being too hard on the girl.  She's just trying to make a good impression for the young man and for you too, if you'd only give her half the chance, you coot.  You've got business to do, certainly, but it's business that can be done anytime.  Lord Rhys won't be angry, and neither should you be.  And besides you know how much the High Lord likes to play matchmaker!  He'd be delighted to hear that Raif met a nice girl, a department he's had no particular interest in until now.  And if you can usher in a grand meeting and Raif reports the news, well...that wouldn't be too  bad on your part either.  Imagine a promotion lined up.  You might not have to babysit anymore after all.

Benard visibly brightened at the thought but set his wrinkled mouth in a bitter line.  He still didn't like the girl.  She seemed like she was trying far too hard.  And for all he knew, she could have ulterior motives that Raif was unaware of.  Even if the young lord was a good judge of character, it was his duty to protect the boy.  If he was going to be too blind to see—

"How gorgeous you are..." Benard breathed in clear and utter shock felt his own jaw drop despite himself, when she walked out to show the gown she was wearing.  He remembered himself quickly and stood up from his chair, closing the timepiece and pocketing it again.  "Master Raifael will be pleased," he said apathetically, as if his previous reaction didn't even happen.  "We should get going.  Thank you Marznchantz.  Please have the gown bagged and boxed in a few moments.  Dinner is soon and we still haven't got young lady Cai here her accessories and proper make up, if it pleases her to get some."

"Yes, sir.  Right away Benard."  The tailor nodded to the old man and slipped back into the changing room to have the dress boxed as ordered.  Meanwhile Benard reached for a purse of gold and handed it to Marznchantz when he returned with the dressbox and packaged.  The old man held the parcel on his arm and opened the door for Cai.

"If Milady, will step through and say goodbye, we will be on our way.  Thank you again Marznchantz."  Once outside, Benard walked down the street in his old, cocky rooster walk.  "Well, Ms. Cai.  We ought to get your hair fixed.  You certainly can't show up to dinner looking like...a cat dragged you out of the gutter in an alley.  And we'll have to do something about your...face abrasions."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Cairis was stunned. Benard had actually said she looked ... gorgeous. She quickly flushed with this praise, and then hurried to change back into her own clothes. Raif will be pleased. What does that mean, anyway?

Her eyes bugged a little at the bag of gold Benard handed over, and her heart-beat quickend. She'd never seen this amount of money before in her life, let alone had it spent on her. She gave a small, shy smile and squeaked out a "thank you sir." to the Tailor. She followed the steward out the door obediantly, saying nothing until he commented about her current looks. She fought the urge to growl him, yet again for his rude comments.

She spluttered a little. "I ... I just need to wash my face, and my hair is all." She started shaking her head, "honestly, Benard. You've just handed more money over that I've seen in my life. Please, we don't need to spend any more. I... I don't deserve this." She hung her head, truly genuinely humbled.

Lion

"And I certainly would be inclined to agree with you, young lady.  But it is not my money we're spending after all.  If it were me, I wouldn't spend a dime on you.  You certainly wouldn't be worth my time, I doubt.  And furthermore, though I don't know why, Master Raifael seems to like you.  And he doesn't like many people.  He's a strange young man, completely unlike his brother.  And you reveal something in him that I haven't seen before."

Benard reached out rudely and snatched a bit of her hair in between his hands and tugged on it lightly.  He leaned in and sniff.  "Yes...wash it indeed.  But we will stop by the salon anyway.  Master Raif would want me to give you the full treatment.  No ... 'half-assing' it as he once referred to it.  And if you don't like it.  I suggest you take your uncouth tongue and tell him yourself.  I bet he'll appreciate the honesty."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

"And I certainly would be inclined to agree with you, young lady. But it is not my money we're spending after all. If it were me, I wouldn't spend a dime on you. You certainly wouldn't be worth my time, I doubt. And furthermore, though I don't know why, Master Raifael seems to like you. And he doesn't like many people. He's a strange young man, completely unlike his brother. And you reveal something in him that I haven't seen before."

Cairis stiffened at Benard's quick agreement, biting her lip to refrain from speaking. There was just something about his manner that got completely under her skin. Maybe it was the fact that she usually took the time to get to know someone before passing judgement, if passing judgment at all. Instead, she took a calming breath.

"How so?" She asked, putting wrath aside for curiosity, "like what? What do I reveal?"

But then, as he snatched up her hair she gave an indignant cry, eyes narrowing into cat-like slits. "Fine. We'll go to the salon. I wouldn't want Raif to think I don't appreciate his generosity. But do not... ever touch me like that again." The fire in her almost refused to go down, and she stalked a few paces ahead.

Lion

"Frankly, I cannot say, young lady.  You'll just have to ask him yourself when you can.  At dinner...that may be the most opportune moment"  Benard didn't understand what Raif saw in the rude girl.  But if he was right and the steward was wrong, then by all means, he would try to make amends.  But until then, his word was the only one he saw.

Benard nodded and followed her to the salon where he opened the door to Carrodine's, as the paint on the window said.  "Ahh Lady Carrodine, it is so good to see you again, my dear.  How are the twins?"

"Oh good as ever," said a woman with too much makeup on as she leaned in to exchanged hands with Benard.  But she looked sweet through her clown face and she smiled so sweetly at Cai.  "Oh, is who we are helping today?  What is your name, my child?"

"And yes, this is the way.  Lady Cairis, is her name.  And she's having dinner with Raifael Stone, son of Lord Rhys Stone.  Make her look her best will you.  She's trying to make a good impression."

Lady Carrodine gasped and clenched her hands together in delight.  "Oh my dear, we will make you look gorgeous.  Raifael is a nice boy, but he'll sweat with desire just looking at you.  Come on then, let's get you cleaned up."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis stomped into the salon, but as soon as she was inside she forced herself to become pleasant again. At the sight of Lady Carrodine she almost laughed. The woman was painted so brightly she looked like a clown.

As she gasped and cooed, Cairis blushed. A rather irritating flaw, she thought. And as she said "...he'll sweat with desire just looking at you." She almost choked. Throwing a help me! kind of stare at a Benard, she followed the lady to a sink, where the woman gently washed the blood and filth from her hair. Being so short, there was not a lot she could do with it, and so the woman simply took two of the longest strands from the front and twisted them to form a make-shift crown around her head.

Then it was on to make-up. Cairis cautiously asked for a 'less-is-more' look, and thankfully the woman agreed. Carrodine gently cleaned the girl's face, and put a little salve on the cuts. "My, but you've had a rough day, haven't you?" the lady said gently, and Cairis just smiled in agreement.

When she was finally finished with, her hair was glossy, her face clean. With just a hint of pink applied to her lips, and a fresh face, she looked young and beautiful. She decided that it would be better not to say anything to Benard, so simply thanked the woman for her administrations. "Benard will pay you. Thank you" She said quietly, and stepped out of the store.

She's made her mind to simply get back to the hotel, and the old Rooster could follow her back at his leisure.

Lion

The two hours it took to get ready for dinner were finally over with and after he paid the woman, Benard caught up to the young lady and tapped her shoulder.  "Wait just a moment, Miss Cai.  But just so we're clear, you do know how to act like a lady don't you?  I mean, have you ever been to a proper dinner with a noble of such stature as Master Raifael?

"Don't think that I like you more than I do, but perhaps I can refresh you on proper etiquette.  In case you are...well, nervous.  I don't want to make you look like a fool any more than I want to Master Raif to be with one.  Would that be something you would like for me to help you with?  Or are you certain you may handle it all on your own?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"I am sure," Cairis hissed "That I will be fine."She continued to walk, not looking at the man, until she finally sighed and said "I know you don't think much of me, Benard, but I come from a good family. I was raised to be a good girl. I know my manners. Thank you for the offer, though. It was very ... kind... of you."

She glanced at him sideways, under her thick eyelashes. "Benard, thank you for taking me today." They'd reached the hotel, and she looked a little more like she belonged. With a smile, and a gentle touch on Benard's arm she added "I mean it. Thank you."

She went straight upstairs, to the room she'd last left Raif in. Knocking gently on the door, she pushed it open slightly "Raif? Are you here?"

Lion

"Gah!  When you try to help them and be nice, they turn their backs on you.  Damn the young people of today," Benard said fiercely to himself when she disappeared into the hotel.  He stayed outside for a few moments and would bring the carriage around momentarily.  Evening had fallen by this time, it was almost seven, and the sky was darkening.

Within the hotel, Raif had finished the paperwork, a great pile of it that Benard had set aside for him, and put it away in the desk.  They would only be in Arca for a week, but this was the first real occasion where he felt he could enjoy himself outside of his home province.  He took a quick bath and quickly discarded the shirt he wore before hand, the one torn in the fight and fixed himself up in a nice, well-tailored, black suit, with a dark blue embroidered waistcoat.  It fit him well, perhaps too well, and he left his twin rapiers back in their weapons chest.

He appeared out of his own room rather than the one Benard had been occupying and he saw Cai lingering in the hallway.  He had his jacket over his arm and he put it on quietly before sneaking up behind her.  "Hello, Cai.  Oh...wow," he said, pausing to look at her face.  His eyes had a sparkle in them amid their dullness.  "Please, come this way.  I'm sure Benard's waiting outside with the carriage.  You can change in my room, I'll wait for you, don't worry."  He touched her shoulder lightly and led her down to his room, one just as large and lavish as Benard's and he opened the door for her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis spun around, hearing him behind her. She lowered her eyes a little at his exlaimation, but didn't say anything. She was struggling to keep from blushing. Following him down the hall to his room, she watched her feet. She felt a bit like the ugly duckling.

She said a quiet "I wont be long," as she stepped into the room, locking eye with Raif as she slowly closed the door. She leaned on the door for a moment, holding her head in her hands. Raif looks resplendent. In fact, he looked better than resplendent. But she couldn't find a word for it.

Heart in her throat, she began to change into the beautiful rose gown. She took a moment once done to see her reflection, and she frowned. She didn't at all recognise the glowing woman in the mirror. Better get this over and done with she sighed, and stepped towards the door with light feet.

She opened the door, and stood in it's frame. She anxiously smoothed out wrinkles on her waist and skirt that weren't there, and looked up to the waiting Raif, fully expecting him to laugh at her.

Lion

She didn't take long to change and though Raif was a patient young man, unlike so many men in his league, he expected her to take much much longer than she did.  When she finally did come out, he could have half sworn that she had gotten some body double and jumped out the window to escape having to go to dinner with him.  But as he inspected her further, he knew it was her, through and through.

He was speechless, needless to say and he just looked at her with gleaming eyes.  "You....are...beautiful," he said almost in a whisper.  "I would be honored to have you on my arm for the evening, Lady Cai.  Will you join me now?"  Raif finally smiled and offered her is arm.

"You look exquisite.  And I don't say that lightly.  Come now, we shouldn't keep Benard waiting."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cai blushed hotly under his gaze, and averted her eyes timidly. His soft compliment only made it worse, but she looked up and said "Thank you. You look good too..." She struggled to find accurate words, so left it at that, until he called her "Lady Cai," and offered his arm.

"If we're going out to a fancy resturant, " She suggested shyly, "Call me Cairis. And I would be delighted to be your dinner partner." She hooked her arm around Raif's arm, so that her hand rested on his forearm. He complimented her again, and she began to shake her head in denial.

Don't say that... honestly.

"You're very kind, " She said modestly, but as they walked down the stairs together, she couldn't avoid the fact that they were turning heads. She tried to hold her head high, and pulled together all the dignity she could muster. There were a few whispers, and a few discreetly pointed fingers. "Uh, Raif... you're quite well known, aren't you."

Lion

"As you wish, Cairis," he said gentlemanly-like.  Here he could remember his manners, here he could treat her as she ought to be treated and not like something he just found on the street and threw over his shoulders to get better at a hotel.  He knew that it was important to make a good first impression and if this could mend whatever negative feelings she held towards him, that would make all the difference.

He led her down the stairs and chuckled lightly.  "Only partially.  Not half as famous as my brother is," he said, and not without some bitterness.  "But we're not here to talk about Gemini.  Let's just enjoy the evening, shall we?"

As soon as they were outside, Benard opened the door to them and Raif got in first.  "Just one moment, Master Raifael," Benard said before he leaned in toward Cairis.

"You look beautiful young lady.  And take care of Master Raif for me, he doesn't get out much."  The old man actually smiled genuinely at he before closing the carriage door behind them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis' curiosity was piqued at the somewhat sour mention of Gemini, but at Raif's bidding, nodded her agreement. Seeing Benard, she tensed slightly. She wasn't sure what to make of him, or his impression of her. She followed as Raif got into the carriage but at Benard's remark, she stopped, turning her head in wonder. Her mouth fell sufficiently open at his words, and she nodded a gobsmacked reply.

When the carriage door closed, she turned very, very slowly to Raif, lilac eyes wide. "Did he - was that -" she opened and closed her mouth a few more times, trying to comprehend the exchange that had just happened. Benard had actually said she looked lovely, and had entrusted Raif's care to her. She leaned back into the plush seat, still looking stunned. Shaking her head slightly, she murmered "unbelievable."

As the carriage moved off down the road, and she had recovered from the conversation with Benard, she let out a contended sigh and smile. "I... I feel like a princess. Is this how it really is for you?"

Lion

Raif relaxed in the seat and gave her a wide-browed look.  "If you're wondering whether or not that was an apology, I would reckon it was.  Benard really can be nice old man once you get to know him," Raif assured her and reached for her hand.  He blushed too, for it was so unlike him to be so forward like this.

Usually he kept his side and said and did all the things expected of him but he suddenly felt so comfortable with Cairis.  And it was such a relief that was such a lack of so much expectation.  He liked being able to make her smile, for she seemed to do so much of that since they first encountered.  He chuckled at her question and patted her hand.  "Yes, I suppose.  But because it's so normal for me, I suppose I don't really get awed by it like any other person would.  But...well, is it too much for you?  I hope you're not feeling uncomfortable."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Raif took her hand, and Cairis let him, looking wonderingly up at him. He was blushing too, and she felt compelled to give his had the tiniest of squeezes in return.

She nodded at his explanation. Of course this was all normal for him. He wouldn't think anything of it. "It's... it's not too much," She replied slowly, shaking her head. For a while she didn't look at him. Who was she, exactly, to be treated like this. She was being treated as royalty, and yet had hardly anything to her name. She'd travelled for two years, living off bare minimum, earning what she could. She couldn't even imagine living like this day in and day out. "No, I'm not uncomfortable. Not at all." She gave him a reassuring smile, as though she was reassuring herself in the process. "I just... I don't deserve this, Raif. Any of it. I'm really no one. You are being overwhelmingly kind. Please don't think I'm being ungrateful. I'm really not." The words spilled out of her mouth, and she flushed even brighter. "Oh lord." She muttered tearing her eyes away from Raif and staring down at their entwined hands. "I ... " She didn't know what to say. "I ... thank you?"

She blinked a few times, shook her head and the rolled her eyes. "Ignore me, please."

She paused for a little while, desperately searching for a topic to talk about. "Raif, I'm ... curious. And I always ask my patients - I never got a chance to ask you. What was it like? When I was healing you. It was a lot different for me, with you... but... what did you feel?"

Lion

"You've earned it, Cai.  Maybe you don't think so, but you helped me, and here's me trying to help you.  Maybe it's only for this night.  But so what?  Don't worry about a thing.  Today we're here to enjoy each other's company.  Let's just have a good time.  Something I don't do often, I'll tell you that.  Not when so many others my age are gallivanting and making fools of themselves."

Raif gazed absently at her and his eyes gleamed again.  She truly was a sight to behold.  He looked at her for far too long and he blushed hotly again and looked out the window when the carriage was approaching the restaurant.

She turned the conversation toward earlier in the day when she healed him.  He glanced back at her and frowned then.  "It hurt me," he said in a low voice.  "I was perhaps just overly sensitive too it.  But it felt like shocks were crawling through my brain.  Did that have anything to do with you fainting?  You said that didn't usually happen.  Was that because of me?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

"Maybe it's only for this night. But so what? Don't worry about a thing. Today we're here to enjoy each other's company...." Cairis' heart sank, just a little. Of course, just for one night. Of course. Still, she plastered on a smile and nodded in acquiescence, not seeming to notice his blush this time.

"Wait, it... it hurt you!?" She snatched her hand away, as he relayed his experience, fearing she was still inflicting pain. "Oh, Raif. I'm so sorry. I thought I was doing something good, and you said go ahead! I'm not now, am I?" She looked horrified, but then she nodded, "I think it may have been. I've never had that happen before. Even while I was... touching you... I was getting more and more tired. Like you were sapping all the life out of me." She pulled a little face, and smiled apologetically. "Well ... that's really not dinner conversation, is it!"

Lion

Raif stared at her shocked when she snatched her hand away.  "Wait, what?"  But she kept talking and began apologizing immediately.  He put his hands up defensively and leaned back a little in the carriage seat.   But he only smiled when she was done, clearly amused that she be so concerned about such a small thing.

"It's all right, Cai.  Calm down.  I think it was because of my blood rather than because of you.  I'll tell you more about it later, my friend.  Look we're here."  The carriage pulled up to the restaurant and a doorman came and opened the carriage door, holding out a gloved hand to help both of them out of the carriage.  Raif stepped out and tipped the door man as the carriage pulled away.

"If you don't mind you touching my arm again, I'd like to escort you to our table.  Please, and if you faint again, I promise I won't throw you over my shoulder this time."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn