Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ice Breakers and Glowing Orcs

Started by miss_sanguine, February 16, 2012, 07:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

Bars. Beautiful bars. Not one for alcohol himself, at least not often, Leslie still found the most interesting people in bars. Take the young man he'd found just the other day, the one with the amazing ability to manipulate the air around him to make little gusts of wind, and the older man who had issues with his family that were far deeper than Leslie had ever seen before. Bars seemed to attract those with engrossing stories, like flowers loaded with pollen attracted searching bees.

And so it was with great enthusiasm that Leslie walked his way toward The Glowing Orc—one of the more popular bars this time of night. In the light of the lantern outside, the wooden sign with the grotesque carving of a dwarf-like creature actually looked like it was glowing. Even the building took on a glow-like quality with the sun setting directly behind it, outlining the wooden frame with pinks and purples.

As always, his attire drew the attention of most of the bar dwellers, though those used to his appearance barely glanced up upon seeing that it was him. Yes, he thought. This evening's apparel was even better than the last—he'd just bought the rose-colored frock. It went so well with his hair, which he had curled and framing his face.

When the door closed behind him, he took a quick glance around, analyzing the different emotions and personalities that surrounded him. Most of the men tonight were in good moods, having had a good day and now enjoying it with a drink and possibly some woman's company. His eyes rested on a man in the back, however, when he caught the aura of suspicion emanating from him, and boredom. So dark and sinister. Brooding.

Just the type of person to talk to. A man such as this would have interesting things to tell.

So, with light steps he made his way toward the man's table and sat himself down across from him. "Good evening," he said with a wide smile, pushing his hair from his face. "Don't think I've seen you here before. What brings you to The Glowing Orc?"

Haze

Why he came to these places, he never knew. Oh that's right, intel. He had to sit here, surrounded by people who talked too much, laughed too much, and drank far too much, because he had a job to do. It wasn't the first night he'd sat in this particular pub, in this particular seat. Tucked away as it was, he was hardly ever disturbed and he could watch the comings and goings of the tav in peace.

He scratched at the stubble sprouting on his chin absently. This was the type of job that he hated. A thief, well known in Connlaoth, was on the move again. She and Alak had a game of cat and mouse going. She was always just out of his grasp. But tonight. Yes. Tonight he would get her. The door opened, and he sat a little straighter in his chair, seeing the shock of pink enter. His interest piqued, but only for the second it took for him to realise that the wearer was in fact male. "Ugh." He grumbled, and sunk deeper into his chair, drinking deeply from his mug of now warm ale.

The floor scraped with the chair legs moving, and Alak's hand clenched around the mug handle. He was talking to him. Actually talking. The little fairy had the audacity to come and interrupt his quiet. With words. Stupid, stupid words. Alak only let his dark eyes fall on the man's face for a second. There was clear disdain in them, and a warning that rumbled and churned. The second was all he needed to know that this person was of no interest to him, and his gaze set resolutely back to the door, a sneer curling his lips.

"Fuck. Off."

miss_sanguine

A wiser man might have walked away then, or retorted with something to sustain whatever bit of his pride, but Leslie, while a wise man, became all the more intrigued by the man's prickly attitude. He reminded Leslie of the spiked plants found in the deserts of Moraki, obstinate and unmoving, refusing the company of any because of obvious independence.

Well, that had never stopped Leslie from trying before, and it definitely wasn't going to stop him now.

At the crude words he simply widened his smile, showing some of his brilliant, white teeth. He made no other advancing moves--it wouldn't do to push the man further away before he'd even managed to get close to him. The bitter feelings coming from this stranger were strong, powerful, visible to even those that didn't have Leslie's ability.

"Now, why would I want to do that?" he asked. "I haven't even gotten your name yet. Mine's Leslie." Then, deciding to throw some cards on the table, he added, "Who is it that you're looking for, exactly? I might be able to help."

Haze

Why wasn't he moving? He ignored the stranger's questions. Alak thought he'd made things pretty clear through his short vocabulary that he didn't want company. And yet, the man - if Alak could bring himself to call the stranger that, he thought with a quick glance over at the colourful other - still stayed. Alak could give him a point for his persistence. Or half a point. Or maybe just an eighth of a point. That was still being generous.

He couldn't stand people encroaching on his business, and finally, simply because he thought that if he appeased the gentleman's questions he might disappear. "You ain't got my name, cause I don't want to give it." He scowled at Leslie, as the other had announced himself to be and leaned across to push his wrinkled face into Leslie's in a menacing way.

His face wasn't wrinkled in a bad way. It was more tell-tale of the time he spent out in the sun. In fact, the years had been kind to him. All he boasted was deep frown lines, and a few crows feet around his deep-set eyes, though not the result of smiling - more from glaring and squinting at nosy citizens like Leslie.

"I doubt you could help me," he snarled, finally backing away after holding his line and boring angry eyes into Leslie's skull. "What's a little fairy like you going to do to help me? Try and sicken my target with your over loud dress-sense so I can slit their throats?"

miss_sanguine

Not the most attractive of men, this guy. He was much older, with sun-worn skin and eyes that had done their fair share of scowling and squinting and glaring. His mother must not have warned him that keeping such a face would stick it like that, as it clearly had. Even his mouth had a near-permanent frown to it, the complete opposite of Leslie's ever-going grin.

He wasn't turned off by the man's sudden intrusion into his personal space. Come to think of it, Leslie didn't think he had personal space. He enjoyed getting close to others; touching them, leaning on them, looking through them with his bright eyes.

"A fairy like me could certainly try to do that. I'll wear my brightest of frocks if you think it would help you in your endeavors. Though," he added, frowning a little. "I admit I'm not one to approve of slit throats. So messy. Blood stains, you know? I suppose it wouldn't matter with what I'm wearing now." He gestured at his rose-colored clothing with a grin.

The man had already told him so much. He was looking for someone, which Leslie had already guessed without much effort. But he'd now discovered that this person was a target. One the man wanted dead. Was he a hit-man? A hired mercenary? Oh, how thrilling!

"I might look like just a fairy man to you, but I have abilities that might aid you. Get your job done faster? Even a blind man could see that you don't enjoy being here."

Haze

"Blood-what? Oh. fuck off!" He swore again, in a vehement whisper this time, rolling his eyes as he pushed himself back into his chair, arms crossing over his chest in a defensive manner. This was why he didn't like people. They were nosy. And they pried.

The mentioning of abilities immediately got his interest though. Without removing his arms, or looking Leslie directly in the eye, he grumbled for a second. He didn't like working with people. He didn't need people around him. "Ya ever think maybe I don't like being here, because of people like you?"

miss_sanguine

A nerve was struck, and like a struck chord on a harp, the man reacted in a manner of music for Leslie. Predictable behaviour, all of it. Leslie had seen enough grumpy bumpy men to know how this one would react, yet he held back his amusement, hiding it behind his innocent smile.

Being one sensitive to emotions, Leslie also had the knack for reading expressions and movement. The man closed in on himself, a snapping turtle pulling into its shell, his folded arms the retreat, the defense. And of course he continued on with the crude language. Leslie would have been surprised if he hadn't--it was part of his character.

Was it the man's creator's fault? Did he or she have this poor man in a place he didn't want to be because he or she wanted him to remain in this grumpy state? Or was he doing this of his own volition? Always a curious oddity, those creators.

"Nonsense!" he finally said, leaning back in his chair and propping his red dress shoes on the table. "There are so few people like myself. I like to think I'm one-of-a-kind. You're just a solitary person--reveling in your solitude, and here I am, a fairy man, intruding on that. But I just can't help myself."

He brushed his hair that had once again gotten into his face out of the way, hanging onto a few strands to fondle them between his fingers. Their softness gave him some comfort in knowing he still looked dashing. "Oh, I won't try and pretend that you like me. You loathe me. I can practically taste it. All's the pity." He pouted, lips out a little. "But that doesn't mean I don't like you, or don't want to help you. Whom is it that you're looking for? You can tell me. I can help. I've nothing more I could want to do than help a fellow man in his tasks."

Haze

Alak's eyes went to the shoes on the table. And stayed there for a good, solid moment One of a kind. You can say that again kid. You have got to be the ladiest lady-man I ever seen. Perceptive though, isn't he? If he can pick up how much I don't like ... people, him ... maybe he'll be more in tune with hunting her down than I could be. Interesting though. Magic? He thought all this through shadowed eyes, finally resting on Leslie. At least the kid could admit to his faults, although saying he was  intruding was a tad kind.

He rolled his eyes at the pout, and made a disgruntled noise in the back of his throat. "Can't tell you." He pushed out a hand to shove Leslie's foot off the table. "Don't do that." He glared another moment, before huffing a great sigh. "You make a habit of 'helping' others, do you? Well, here's how you can help. You see that lady over there?" He pointed to a woman who had just entered, making herself at home at the bar. She was a little thing, bird-like, and flighty in her actions too. That was who he'd been waiting for.

"Go and tell her Alak is coming. And that tonight is her last."

miss_sanguine

The moment the man looked from Leslie's shoes to his face, Leslie knew he'd persuaded him. His heart fluttered with fevered joy. This was why he came to bars. To help. To meet new, interesting people. So far he hadn't been disappointed. But when was he ever?

His own eyes followed his new friend's hand as it moved out and shoved one of his feet off the table. To keep things consistent, and to respect the man's wishes, he let his other foot follow suit, resting once again on the wooden floor.

Soon his attention was on the woman entering the bar as she was spoken of. She didn't seem too special to Leslie. Beautiful, yes, if one were into that sort of thing, and tiny. She reminded him instantly of a little posy, easily jerking at the slightest wind—or in this case, the smallest of eyes that might land on her.

"A message, is it? I can do that." Though his words would not be as coarse. He turned back to his sun-worn friend and winked at him. "Be back soon, big guy."

When he came up behind the woman, it was even easier to see how alert she was. "Excuse me, miss," he said, coming up beside her slowly so as not to startle her. He made no instant movements, as that might set one off as jerky as this. "Could I offer you a drink? On me, course."

Haze

"Watch it," Alak's eyes narrowed to the pet name, but he settled in to watch the message being relayed. Some how he doubted that Leslie would tell it just as he had instructed. He crossed his arms over his chest again, this time a little more relaxed. If this Leslie guy could be as much use as he suggested he might be, than this could be the end of the tiresome job of dealing with Tharnanti, the little thief. It would be an interesting show, that he was sure of.

The woman turned her head slightly, taking in Leslie's appearance in one wary sweep from head to toe. At his offer, she pursed her lips, and then nodded once in acceptance. Her eyes didn't sit still for a single moment. It was clear to tell that she was on edge. "Just the one," she said softly. "I am just passing through. But thank you." She didn't mention that already she was sizing him up for a shot at his pockets. Not that she could tell where the pockets might be on his dress.

"Do you go offering drinks to every new person you see?"

miss_sanguine

To her nod, he also nodded, then turned to the man behind the counter and made a sweep of his hand through the air. "One of your finest, my fine man!" he said, and moved his focus back onto the woman.

What could his new man friend want with such a person? She didn't look dangerous, per se, but then again he'd come across far more innocent-looking people that had proved to be cold-blooded murderers. She just didn't have that feel about her.

"Not to every new person I see, no," he responded, still standing before her, hands now hooked on the sides of his pants for they had no where else to be. "Only to the pretty ones." After a second he asked, "You seemed troubled. Is there something wrong? Anything I can help you with?"

Haze

She was far more trusting than Alak was. In fact, she almost depended on deceiving people to evade being caught. She feigned a blush, and smiled. "Oh, I'm not troubled," she lied, while her gaze went over and over again over her shoulder drawn to the dark corner where Alak lay in wait. She gestured to the seat beside her.

"Will you sit a while?" She had seen him. Lying in wait. She felt a tremor run through her, but figured her chances might be slightly better if she was seated with another. From what she knew of the bounty hunter, he didn't like having civilians involved, and he certainly wasn't going to make a scene with so many people around.

"Actually, maybe you can help me with something. See that man over there in the corner? I'm afraid I know him, and we're not terribly friendly. Do you think you could just sit here a while. He might just up and leave, if he sees me with someone else."

miss_sanguine

Deceptive as her sweet little voice was, Leslie saw right through the blatant lie. One couldn't ignore that fact that she kept glancing around, over her shoulder, everywhere, really. He took the seat beside her with ease, noting how the stools here at the counter were a lot more comfortable than the old wooden chairs at the tables.

She trusted him, allowed him to sit by her without so much as a suspicious squint. While he'd promised to relay a message to her, he felt sorry for the young woman and in no way felt any hard feelings toward her like the big man behind them did.

To humor her, he looked over his shoulder, eyes resting on the man he'd been sitting with moments ago. Lucky she had not seen Leslie with him, else she wouldn't be talking to him right now.

"I fear your plan won't work as well as you think it might, madame," he said, a little pity bubbling up deep in his stomach. He reached out and took the drink the bartender handed him and then put it in front of her on the counter. "That man--ah--knows me, you could say. Doesn't like me at all. We're in the same boat when it comes to that."

Haze

What the fuck? Why is he buying her a drink? Oh, for Ansgar's sake. Should have just done this myself. Look at him, getting all friendly like. Yep, isn't giving her the message, that much is clear. And this is why I don't work with people. Because people DO. IT. WRONG. Alak's expression was growing darker by the minute, if that was at all possible. But when the woman's eyes lighted on him, he gave her a snarling smile, meant to intimidate. And it did it's job.

The woman went to pick up the drink, but at Leslie's admission of his acquaintance with Alak, her eyes went wide, hand slipping from the counter to her dagger she had hidden at her side. "What do you mean he knows you? You don't - I mean you - " She was bugging out by this stage, and it was a moment before she took a deep breath and set her jaw. "You wouldn't be a mark of his, would you? I don't think so, because you are incredibly calm. Have you any idea what he is capable of?

"Look, thank you for the drink, but," she started to get up from the seat. In the corner, Alak mimicked her movements, standing, but still pressed into the shadowed corner. "I think it is unsafe for me to be here. In fact, I know it is."

miss_sanguine

Her panic, palpable in its suddenness, made his heart race, and he quickly smothered the intrusive feeling with his own calmness.  He should have seen it coming, should have known she would react that way.

"What I mean is, I met him today and had a chat with him. Nothing more. Told me to give you a message, but I'm sure by your reaction that you know what the message contains, to a degree. So it would be pointless to relay it." He continued to smile amiably. "And I'm more aware of what he's capable than you might think."

Like her and his friend in the corner, he stood at the same moment, though less rushed and more relaxed, as if merely getting up to stretch. "If you knew it was unsafe, being aware of your chaser in the corner, why did you decide to stay in the first place?" Shaking a finger scoldingly at her, he said, "Very unwise."

Dear, dear, she was tense. Rigid as a tree, ready to bolt like a mouse noticing the eyes of cat on it. He couldn't help but feel bad for her.

He would help her.

"You're safer here than you might think," he added, reaching out to grab her arm to stop her from leaving and using that contact to release a pinch of his calming magic. She needed to regain her composure if she planned on getting out of this one alive. A panicked mouse only ran blindly, with no thought to strategy, until it was finally caught in an easily avoided trap set by the cat.

Haze

"Mmm," was all she responded, turning narrowed eyes to Leslie. She didn't need for him to speak the message. She knew well enough. She didn't care that he stood, and simply turned to eye Alak. "I didn't know he was here. Not until you came. In fact, I have never seen him so far from Connlaoth."

She waved the wagging finger out of her face, only to find his hand on her arm. And a suddenly overwhelming presence of peace washed over her. She gave a soft little sigh, and sat back down again. "I'm not, you know," she responded, taking a sip from her cup, before waving a hand towards Alak. "Not any safer in here, than I am out there. This has been going on for months. I just didn't expect him to be ahead of me now." She pouted a little here. "I've always been a step ahead. Now phooey!"

She sighed a little more, and looked into her drink. "I know. I know! You go back a distract him, right? That way, I can sneak back out, and he'll never even know where I've got to." She was quite pleased with this little suggestion, and her big brown eyes pleaded with Leslie to do as he was asked.

miss_sanguine

Again Leslie found himself wondering what this woman could have done to make the man behind them want to chase her down for months. Was the man really just the bully that he came off to be, chasing others for amusement, or even for payment, as a mercenary would?

Leslie shook his head in pity. Silly man, to do such an abhorrent thing. As much as he'd come to appreciate the guy's personality in all of its uniqueness, and though he had previously offered to help him, that offer now ran void. He'd given the girl the message--sort of. He would stop there. Now his attention was on helping her. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if this beautiful flower's life ended with a slit in the neck, or worse.

"You underestimate me, dear," he said, once again taking his seat next to her, pleased in seeing her relax. "I'm not one for petty distractions, nor will we really need one. Not right now, anyway." He was not ignorant to the pleading look in her eyes, but he would not do as she'd asked. They certainly made him want to help her all the more, though. "I know it will be hard, seeing as how you only just met me, but please trust me. On this evening at least, you will not come to harm by that man."

Haze

Alak had almost had enough by this stage. He scowled over at the sight of Leslie and his target heads bent in conversation. He should have known better than to have trusted the flowery little man to pass the message on with all the simplicity that the task required. And again, this was why he worked alone. The burly man grunted as he shifted in his seat, and pushed himself up to stand.

Tharnanti was considering if she could make it to the door. She saw the shifting movement, even while Leslie was making attempts to calm her down, and telling her that she could trust him. What he didn't know, was that beneath her coat, she was heavy with weapons, including knives and several pistols stolen from Mordecai soldiers.

Alak had narrowed, dark eyes as he made his approach. While it wasn't ideal, he'd kill her right here in the bar if necessary; the bounty on her head was dead or alive. He'd already made the decision that he would be delivering a body as opposed to a prisoner.

The woman looked at Leslie from the corner of her eye. "He's coming, you know. And things are about to get seriously messy."

miss_sanguine

Leslie didn't make a habit of involving himself in sticky situations if he could help it. He always saw the fighting of others as pointless, foolish, and a downright waste of time. Life radiated beauty; why ruin that? Short, the existence of everyone. One minute he could be out among the flowers, enjoying each breath he took, the next--well, the next, Shea could get bored of him and leave in that perpetual state for all eternity. Not that he would have minded being forever frozen among flowers, but he liked living. Being.

These two didn't seem to have come to this understanding yet. Who knew when their creators would grow bored of them? And when that did happen, which it was bound to eventually, would they really want to be left in an eternal station of anger and/or worry?

He'd sensed the man's intentions to rise a few seconds before he actually did, and put his chin on his hands and smiled at his leisure. Such an ornery man, this hunter. Leslie didn't even need his powers to feel the cloud of anger hanging over the guy.

"You have such little faith in me," he said to the woman. "There will be no messes. I rather like this bar, and I'd feel terrible if it were to get dirty."

miss_sanguine

Closing this due to inactivity. If you'd like to start it up again, PM me.