Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shadows of the Mind

Started by miss_sanguine, February 17, 2012, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

Lost, Ryuu wandered the streets without knowing what or whom he passed, walked an endless road of faded colors and blurred shapes with a feeling of such bereavement that at times he didn't even know who he was, didn't even know if he was alive. How was it possible for a living person to feel this way, as if all life—all purpose—had been drained from the world?

At times he could hear the shadowed figures around him laughing as he passed, a sound that was so out of place, so foreign that he barely recognized it. Upon hearing it, a feeling he'd only just started to have would creep forward in his breast, like a great dark snake that coiled around his heart and squeezed. The sound had to be stopped, snuffed out forever. No creature deserved to make such a noise.

It was unfair, a crime for people to be feeling anything but sadness and misery, anything but darkness. Often he would forget why, forget why he felt this way, forget why he drifted aimlessly through places that had probably once been familiar to him. Why he had hurt that woman that had come to him to help.

Help. "I can help you," the voice would say again, a nightmare.

But no. "I don't need help," he said aloud to the air, repeating what he'd said at the time, lost in his mind, his memories.

"Then I have no choice."

And then he would remember.

Lifeless, terrified eyes once filled with love and trust and joy. Dead. Rusger was dead. His soul-link, his friend—and with him, Ryuu's heart.

I'm going crazy, he thought mildly, grinning and not knowing why. Had there ever been a pug? Had it all been a dream, a distant dream of happiness that he could never really feel? Try as he might, he couldn't bring up the happy feelings, even the sad feelings, that he had been able to feel in those dreams.

Nothing was real. Nothing mattered.

And so he wandered. The only real thing in this place of wraiths and forbidden laughter.

GoblinFae

Being "home" in Jadenshine always put Primrose in a dampened mood. The last time she had been here was for fourteenth birthday and disastrous coming-of-age party. Now two years later, she had finally grown up a bit. While still one for the occasional prank, Primrose Dragoslav was more interested in her books than causing trouble.

Her Uncle Engligram was not exactly pleased with this new development, but he found more suiting of a lady's time. He would much rather see her married off already. In fact that was the reason for her current return. The aging man felt that his young niece was wasting her time studying to be a teacher and wished to convince her to prolong her return to Adela and instead stay indefinitely.

To escape the stifling atmosphere of the mansion, Primrose went into town. Her excuse was to buy some ribbon when in actuality she was to visit the bookstore. She would just buy some ribbon on the way home; she did not really have an interest in such frivolous things.

She happily haggled with the book merchant over the armload of books she wanted. All of them were and precious to her. There was history, language, romance, and fantasy, everything an avid bookworm could hope for. At last the man gave in with a laugh. "You drive a hard bargain Missy, but the books are yours. Shall I have them wrapped and delivered for ya?"

Primrose shook her head and pulled the books closer to her chest. "No thank you. I'll just carry them. Paying the man she finally left, headed for home. However, she did not make it far before she saw a familiar face. 'No,' she thought in surprise. 'It couldn't be! Could it?'

"Ryuu!" she called across the street. Surging forward Primrose moved to run up to him. But, as she came closer, her steps slowed as if she remembered that she was too old to be running around like a little girl. "Ryuu? Ryuu Dubhshíth?" she asked again hopefully, coming to a stop a few steps away from him. 'I wonder if he recognizes me, if he still remembers me. He seems so different. Something's missing about him.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

miss_sanguine

One of the shadows called out, a word once familiar to him on its tongue. He turned to see it coming toward him out of the gloom. On its face it wore a deceitful smile. As it drew near, he had a sense of recognition, as if he should know it, but the feeling quickly fled from him.

A shroud of resplendent light enshrouded the figure, something out-of-place amid all of the other nameless shades who were nothing but darkness. At first it ran at him, then slowed when it noticed him looking at it, when it saw that it could not sneak up on him. Heat emanated from its body, a warm glow. A nice glow.

He wanted it to go away. To not come closer.

Ryuu took a step back, glowering. Why was it here? Why did this pretend being, this creature that did not really exist, acknowledge him? It wanted to pull him into obscurity with it, make him an imitation of life like everything else here.

Words came from its mouth once more, a strident noise that slid from its mouth as black slime. He gave a look of disgust, then turned to leave it where it stood.

Ignore it and it will go away. Like a bad dream.

GoblinFae

The look he gave her sent pain and rejection through Primrose's being. 'He just doesn't remember me. It's not that Ryuu is rejecting me. Stop being a fool Prim. But, what's wrong with him. He looks like someone took his pupp-Rusger!'

"Ryuu, don't you remember me? It's me, Primrose, Primrose Dragoslav. We used to be childhood friends." Her words were spoken softly and imploringly as she followed after him, begging him silently to remember her, to acknowledge her. "Ryuu what's wrong? Where's," she looked down nervously unsure if she should ask. "Where's Russy?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

miss_sanguine

Except that it didn't go away as he left. It followed him, more words coming, words that sounded as though they were spoken through solidified air or thick water; they hummed and buzzed, made no sense at all to him, like a swarm of insects next to his ear that he wanted to swat at.

All he wanted was quiet, time to get a hold of what he had lost, to find it somehow. These things wouldn't leave him alone with their eyes, laughter, and now their words. Determined to make him one of them.

Just that one word got him halting in his tracks. He heard it clear as the days from his dreams where the sun had existed once. His heart--yes, it was still there, he discovered--, a hard stone in his chest, seemed to start seeping with the same darkness that surrounded him.

Russy. Rusger. The pug.

*Rus.* The mention of the animal caused Ryuu physical pain, and he gripped his head with a cry and wheeled on the tailing creature that had said his name. He stared at it with an all new light. Who was this shadow blanketed by light, to know the cause of his suffering?

Where's Russy? Where's Russy? the words repeated cruelly in his head, and he suddenly felt the need to go look. He had lost Rusger!

Cold eyes stared her--he could see it was a her, now. "What?" he asked, his voice echoing through his mind. Had he even really spoken? How long had it been since he had? "Where?" He repeated the question, as if that would answer the one in his own head.

GoblinFae

"Ryuu!" she exclaimed frantically. Her hands came up to rest on the crook of one his arms as he spun clutching his head. "Ryuu what's wrong? Why don't you sit down, maybe you will feel better. You just need to rest."

Concerned eyes stared up at the taller man who had been her best friend in childhood. "Where can you sit? Over there might be good spot," she said trying to lead him over to an outdoor tavern. Please just come sit Ryuu." Primrose did not know what to do. She was trying to keep calm but inside she was frantic with worry.

'What is wrong with him? He looks so devastated and upset. Where is Rusger? Oh Kia, did something happen to Russy? I have never seen Ryuu like this before. I can only imagine what the cause is. Oh Kia, please let everything be alright! Please, please let him be alright. Please! Just calm down Prim. Just calm down, everything is going to be alright. He just needs to sit down. It's alright. It's-its's-its going to be alright.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Rusger was missing. No, it was more than that. He was gone. No trace of him left--a dark cavern of nothing in the place he had once been.

Why? Why was he--

Confusion and panic turned to unexplained fury in the second that he felt the girl's touch to his arm. Instead of going through him, as an apparition might have, her hand remained solid, real--invasive. This stranger that somehow knew the pug's name had the nerve to further intrude. This girl that was real among all of the ghosts and phantoms.

Crying in repulsion he shoved her away from him as hard as he could. "Do not touch me!" he snarled at her.

GoblinFae

Primrose was such a slight thing in comparison to Ryuu. It did not take much for her to be knocked over and he had used all of his strength. Caught of guard, she was unable to stop herself in her backwards fall. Her hands and rear collided roughly with the cobblestones below yet she paid no attention the her scraped hands and torn dress.

"Ryuu!" she exclaimed furiously, bouncing back to her feet. She did not feel the pinpricks of blood beading on her palms nor the needles of pain that shot through them as she clenched them tight. Striding towards him rapidly, Primrose raised her hand to strike in hopes of knocking some sense into him. "What is the matter with you?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

There was no explaining the feeling he had upon seeing the girl fall to the ground. He'd hurt her, however small the strike had been. Part of him was shocked that he'd done such a thing--he wasn't one to attack others, was he? His heart--that rock ever hardening in his chest--told him no. But his mind, well. His mind was another story entirely.

Relief. Satisfaction. This being like him, living and breathing, had no right to feel anything but pain. Why should she go on being happy, go on living a normal life amid these shadows that had once been light, when he could not?

His spirit, broken and shattered as it might have been, still quailed at view of the blood on the girl's wrists. He had done that.

And then she struck him.

The sting of the slap echoed throughout his body. He blinked in shock, could feel the wetness of the blood from her palms on his cheek. Before he knew what he was doing, he found himself grabbing the offending hand by the wrist.

"You--you dare to . . .?" The incomprehensible ire from before reared its roaring head once more. He was too mad to speak.

GoblinFae

She struggled to yank her arm back as she glared angrily up at him. "Yes I dare! You are being completely ridiculous Ryuu! I thought we were friends. Friends look out for each other. Why won't you let me help you? What is wrong with you?"

Her eyes were beginning to fill with distressed tears. "I only want to help. Is that so wrong?" Primrose settled, no longer screaming and fighting. A heavy sadness had taken over her heart. "You always looked out for me since we were little. I just wanted-I just want to do the same for you. If you would only let me," she plead, taking a step closer. "Please Ryuu, let me help. Let me try."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Red in the black, a bright color amid thousands of dark, depressing hues. The sight sent his heart pounding, his mind racing. In his fury, the color of the girl's blood seemed to take on a life of its own, pulsing against her pale skin, releasing an invisible tension.

Help. That rotten, dirty word; the sound of murder and death. He'd thought the man from earlier gone, but here his words were somehow emanating from this girl's mouth, bleeding from it just as her blood seeped from her body.

Why did everyone seem to think he needed it? He'd never needed it; not then, not now. Especially not now.

The sight of Rugser's empty eyes flashed in his mind and Ryuu dropped the hand he held so tightly with loathing. This was no girl, no being of light. This was that man, here again to take what was so dear to him.

Well, he was prepared for it this time.

Without quite knowing what he was doing, his body following along to some voiceless command, his hand balled into a furious fist and he swung out at the man--no longer did a girl stand there. No, he'd managed to see through the disguise now--as hard as he could.

GoblinFae

Their proximity put Primrose too close to move out of the way of Ryuu's oncoming fist. It connected sharply with her cheekbone and she collapsed to the street with a loud cry of pain. Clutching the side of her face, she fought the tears that tried to rain from her eyes as she tasted blood in her mouth from where she had bit her tongue.

"I don't understand Ryuu. Please stop this. Please, why are you doing such horrible things? What has become of you?" Her shoulders shook with her quiet sobs and hiccups. Primrose stared down at the ground and caught sight of one of the books she had bought and dropped in her worry for her old childhood friend. Serenity of the Child's Heart the binding read. It made her think of her own childhood with Ryuu and how he had always made it bearable for her.

'Something is wrong. He needs help. I don't understand. Rusger is not here and Ryuu doesn't even seem to recognize who or where he is. What is going on? What has happened?' Shakily, the young noble got to her feet again, ignoring the small group of people that were gathering to watch the spectacle that the pair was becoming. "I'm not leaving until you start explaining to me Ryuu. What happened?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Dropping this due to my dropping Ryuu. Sorry, Hemoglobin. : (

Tags: