Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

She sells seashells... [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 04, 2013, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

It was several long minutes before Koi returned, a young man with the wings of a yellow-and-green macaw in tow behind her. It was Tama, an apprentice healer, but he was the first healer she'd been able to find. So she'd grabbed him and dragged him along with only a bare-bones explanation, because time was of the essence when dealing with injury--and because she was a little afraid of leaving Narron alone with the stranger too long.

As they approached Narron and the...the armored one, Tama sucked in a breath. "What the...?"

"Toldja he was strange. Who am I kidding? This entire situation's weird! Now c'mon, hurry! That girl's injured bad."

And so they rushed in closer, while Tama strode over to Narron and fell into step beside him. He reached out and pressed a hand to her head and then checked her pulse, frowning.

"Let's get her out of the sun and into the shade over there," he said, motioning to the treeline. "I can treat her out here."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Winters-Feather

Narron had never been so grateful to see a healer before.  He nodded eagerly at Tama's advice, and stumbled towards the tree. His face was growing hot  from the sun, and his throat dry from dehydration. Though he felt a little light headed, Narron carefully laid down the woman under the tree before sinking down on the other side, out of Tama's way. He leaned his head against the bark, thankful for the rest, and the cool sea breeze.

Narron licked his chapped lips, trying to focus. He reached for his water pouch and drank deeply, gasping when he was through. He left a few mouthfuls in it, still.
"Tama, do you need anything?" he asked, urgently. Narron looked up at the armored giant.
"And you?"

Rhindeer

"Thank you, Narron, but I should be okay," Tama said as he knelt beside the unconscious woman and checked the rest of her body for signs of trauma, then felt along her skin with gentle fingers. Her skin felt hot, which made him frown with concern, and she had a good-sized knot on her head, and she was obviously dehydrated, but...

He let out a sigh of relief. "She should be okay," he said, looking up. "From that accident Koi described, she's lucky--dehydration and a bump on the head, and but otherwise uninjured. She feels feverish, though, and that's what's most concerning. My guess is she's exhausted, and that she was either ill before the accident, or was stuck in the water so long it made her sick. Who knows how long she was there? And to see her friends drown..." He shuddered, feathers ruffling.

"I won't wake her," he said. "She's been through a trauma, and she needs to rest as long as her body needs. But I will heal her head; she could have concussed. And we do have to hydrate her, and watch her sickness. We shouldn't take her into the village, though, not while she's sick."

Looking over at Koi, he held out his hand, and she handed him the knife he'd given her to carry. Holding out his arm, he made a quick, small cut on his forearm, wincing a little at the pain, and let the blood drip onto the woman's brow. Magic flowed with it, his blood singing to hers, the offering made and the tithe paid. He closed his eyes and willed it to work, and didn't have to see to innately know that her flesh was healing.

He opened his eyes when it was done, and Koi handed him the cloth he'd brought with them, which he pressed to his wound to stop the bleeding. "Her injuries are healed, at least," he said, and looked to Narron. "Do you have more water in that skin?"

And then, pausing at the sight of Narron's face, his brow knit with concern. "Are you okay?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Winters-Feather

Narron's face darkened as the healer speculated what had happened. The stranger had been through so much... He didn't flinch at the sight of the healer's cutting, his offering. It was mildly unsettling, but that was how the healing worked. Besides, his thoughts were too haunted by the burning ship.
"I'll be fine," he said as he slowly rose to his feet. He took the waterskin in his hands. "I will go find more."

He  got to his feet and walke d a couple of paces away before shooting out his wings to fly. Narron could feel a dull ache through his muscles, but he ignored it as he launched from the ground.

~

He would be back just a few minutes later with two full skins. He landed a little awkwardly, almost too  conciously. He held out the skins to Tama, panting as he wiped the sweat off his brow.
"Would this be enough?" he asked.  "Did she wake up? Lilai and her children are preparing a space for her... "

Ethereal-Star

((OOC: As the thread is marked open, I am gonna hop in (or rather swim in) for a bit, and then back out. My character may or may not be back, we'll see.))

Swimming past The Blue Boneyard, then from there the Reeds of Snaking Green, Turquoise finally arrived above the surface, teal-green hair catching the sunlight as she emerged like some goddess of the sea. Spotting a collection of gorgeous seashells of varying blues and pinks and sparkling sea glass on the shore nearby, the mermaid made her way over there to admire the beauties she found. Taking some of these shells and sea glass with her, she dove back down underneath the waters and swam a bit further, then popped her head back out of the salty blue-greenness around her and gazed about curiously.

The smell of smoke caught her attention then. Turquoise noticed several sirens nearby a cove she loved to visit often, seizing their chance to capture unwilling victims from what looked like to be the wreckage of a ship which was where the smoke was coming from. The mermaid knew this to be the nature of her fellow sea inhabitants and did not do anything to deter them. It was not her place to meddle in such affairs, even if she wanted to, but she didn't. Observing for a while longer as some of the folks that lived on these islands came by to try to help the lone survivor in the sirens' midst, the mermaid shook her head. Turquoise noticed their tattoos and dark skin which was the norm for the people round these parts. One of them even had colorful bird wings, which was also not unusual. It was he who tried to rescue the female sailor from the grip of the sirens and narrowly doing so too.

Not too much later, Turquoise felt something dark and sinister starting to take hold of a piece of the land nearby. It was definitely demonic and also signaled her cue to leave. She didn't know what to expect and it was better not to know anyhow. While not a coward, the mermaid was far from stupid and again it was not her place to intervene, only to check out what she could. The beginnings of what looked like a portal was forming in the sand, and that was when the mermaid took her leave, purple tail flashing briefly in the air, specks of water flicking about before diving back down into the depths of home.

An interesting discovery it was, but Turquoise knew her time of observation was to end so as to avoid being discovered by whatever had crossed over into this world. The beings on land could take care of themselves as they had done many times before. The sea maiden traversed back to her home under the waves, to the Kingdom of Greenwaves to safely put away her treasures. Turquoise might come back later to see what was going on, but for now home strongly beckoned to her to return.

Rhindeer

"That should be plenty," Tama said with a smile. Lifting the woman's head up onto his lap, Tama took the water skin, pressing it to her lips. He tipped the skin slowly, spilling a little water at a time into her mouth, and rubbed her throat gently with his other hand to encourage her to swallow.

"She didn't wake up at all," Koi told Narron with a concerned frown. "She's reeeeally out of it..."

"Whatever happened, it was rough on her," Tama said. "But I think we can get her to Lilai's. That's a really good idea; much better than staying out in this heat. I can carry her. You both look like you could use a good rest."

Winters-Feather

Narron nodded gratefully. He had never felt so exhausted in his life.
"Thank you," he said. "Take care of her."
He took one last look at the unconcious, beautiful stranger. He was anxious for her to wake up- he had a lot of questions that left him feeling uneasy. He walked over to Koi.
"You okay?" he asked. "I'll walk you home."

Rhindeer

As Tama lifted the stranger into his arms and began to carry her to the village, Koi let out a slow breath through her lips and flashed Narron a tired look.

She hadn't actually done much--it had been Narron that had carried two people!--but emotionally, the day had been pretty exhausting.

"Oh, I'm fine!" she told him, and rolled her shoulders to ease up some of the tension that had settled between them. "What about you? You're the one that did all the work here. You holding up okay?"

Winters-Feather

"I could sleep," he admitted.
He tasted blood in his mouth, and made a face. His lips had cracked. He  run his tongue along his lips.
I smell like smoke, he thought, making a face. Though that much was obvious, he still lifted his arm to his nose and took a sniff before turning his head away.
"And maybe a bath after," he said.
He was so sore, he mused if his muscles would refuse to let him move after sleeping.
And no flying for at least a few days, he thought, already starting to feel a little grumpy.

He frowned as he watched Tama carry the unconcious woman away.
"Their ship did not look like a merchant ship," he pointed out.

Rhindeer

"No?" Koi flashed Narron a puzzled look, head cocked to the side curiously. She didn't know much about the people from beyond, or their strange boats, but Narron seemed to have far more experience in that regard.

"What kinda ship would it be if not that?"

Winters-Feather

He knitted his brow as he pondered on that thought.
"I don't know," he admitted, suddenly filled with doubt.
He didn't know. He knew he didn't see any much of cargo floating around, but  he could have made an oversight. He knew some about the travellers who came to their ports, but not much more from that. They could have been merchants. He could be wrong.
"But the girl can tell us when sh wakes up," he said, hopefully.
He wondered if it woud be wise to bring up the news to one of the merchants at the port. the rumor of the girl would spread, and fast, but still Narron was cautious.

Rhindeer

Koi scratched her chin, puzzled, and then shook her head. "Well, I suppose there ain't much to be done now. We just gotta wait for her to wake--and that could be a while. She looked pretty bad off..."

Hopefully she woke at all. .

Reaching out, she clasped Narron's shoulder gently. "May as well get some rest in the meantime. You look like you really need it. No offense."

Winters-Feather

Narron chuckled at her frankness.
"Yes," he agreed.  He continued on the rest of the way back to the village in silence.
Once they arrived at the point where the roads split to their seperate houses, he stopped to give Koi a hug.
"Go rest," he said. "We will get some answers tomorrow, maybe. Find me at the market tomorrow afternoon, if you'd like. Good night!"

With that he made his way back to his hut. Normally, he would fly up to it, but , instead, he nimbly climbed up the ladder before plopping himself into his hammock. The moment he closed his eyes, darkness took over, and he feel into a blissfully deep sleep, free of smoke and broken ships.

Rhindeer

Koi's rest that night was solid and dreamless from sheer exhaustion--and it was deep. Deep enough that she almost slept in past the time she was supposed to meet Narron!

When she woke up, it was too bright outside to be morning, and with a start she rolled out of her hammock and poked her head outdoors. The sun was high, almost at its peak. Ack! With a gasp, she threw on a sarong and darted out the door of her hut, slipped on her sandals, and took off at a dead run.

By the time she made it to market, the sun was reaching its peak, and she fidgeted as she looked around for a glimpse of the winged man. Hopefully she hadn't missed him already!

Winters-Feather

She hadn't. Narron was busy negotiating with a familiar cook  from Cerenis, tanned brown with matted brown hair. The man was an old friend who told Narron strange stories that he only half understood, due to some language barriors, but today the news was even more unusual. Siren activity was picking up. Their ship was targeted, but their ship had been prepared for magical attacks.  Even so, they were to stay in Yoreiq a bit longer than usual for repairs.
The story worried Narron so much, he hardly noticed the cook was trying to offer him less beads than what he usually did.

Ethereal-Star

Having finally arrived to the main island of Yoreiq, Nemeril stopped at the market place to trade as she needed a few more arrows. Some of the ones she had were old and worn, it being time to purchase new ones. The market here had what she wanted, some rather finely crafted ones at that too. The tips were bronze as she could not use steel or iron tips for her arrows. Plus these were of pretty hardy make. After paying for a set of ten brand new arrows, she added them to her quiver and continued on, looking around.

A nearby conversation reached her ears then of siren activity picking up, and that a ship of some kind had been targeted by those bird-women. The ship had crashed against the rocks and there had only been one survivor left. A woman from the sound of it, greatly injured and dehydrated. Nemeril frowned at this but kept listening although in a discreet way. She did not wish to appear nosy. The two men talking there, one appeared to be Yoreiqi with huge feathery gray wings, while the other had matted brown hair and caramel-colored skin. She wasn't sure where the latter was from. If such problems were occurring here, perhaps she could be of assistance somehow. For now, she just listened.

Rhindeer

"Oh! There you are!" Koi said in relief when she spotted Narron, his large wings giving him away even from afar. She jogged over to where he was chatting with a foreign man, lightly panting, and skidded to a stop beside him.

"Sorry I'm late! I guess I was way more tired than I thought but I hurried here as fast as I could and I hope you weren't waiting too--" She stopped,  realizing a little too late that she had just sort of...barged in on their conversation.

Heat flooded her cheeks and she coughed. "...Uh. Sorry. Carry on."

Tags: