Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When the Alpha's away the Wolves will play

Started by Aeytrious, July 09, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nascent

"Perfectly. That was the idea, after all." He took a long sip of the drink Alko brought him, almost polishing off half of it in one go. It was clear that handing one of his secrets over to someone, anyone, didn't sit too well with him. "Anyways, let's get this over with, hm? How soon can I talk to Gaze and Vent? And I assume you'll be there and it won't be somewhere where we could get listened in on? This is valuable information, after all." He gave her a slight nod, a 'play along' gesture that any thief would recognize but would only be obvious up close. "That gem's not gonna steal itself, am I right?"

He hoped he could trust her, at least this once. He wasn't going to be able to fulfill the mission Rufus had given him on his own -- it'd be too suspicious, him poking around some more looking for Zahi. He needed others, people who could move without drawing as much attention.

And conversely, he needed Torak. The guy's sense of subtlety and tact may have been as blunt as a cudgel... but if everything worked out he'd still be important, in his own way. Kassom made a mental note to go see the assassin as soon as he'd brought Zeina and her crew in on the trouble that was brewing.

zozee9

Zeina watched as Kassom drank. Even without her aura seeing skill, it was obvious he wasn't feeling very comfortable with her knowing the information. Truthfully, she didn't blame him. Nobody ever knew whose side she was on—and that's how she liked it. The only person she acted loyal to was Rufus, and she knew that many people just believed it was an act for power. After all, she could act however she wanted to people as long as she had the leader's trust.

"Never know, I've heard of gems that can do some pretty weird things!" Zeina responded with a half hearted laugh. The conversation mood had gotten a little intense and she was worried that people might start paying attention.

"And I suppose that depends on how busy they are. But I might be able to arrange it as soon as tomorrow." She had to find Gaze (and Vent) first. He never stayed in the same place twice, so it could be a bit difficult to meet up with him. But seeing as she helped raise him, at least he would trust her enough to agree to the meeting with the Lone Wolf.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

Bruin frowned. There was, of course, some rumblings in Bloods. Mostly that grandstanding Vahn, whispering to people about changes in power and how much more the Bloods could have if only and blah blah blah. So in that sense, she supposed, Zahi might be in trouble. Everyone with rank in the Soot Wolves was 'in trouble' that way. But why should Torak know - or care - about any of that?

"Tch, you take things too personal," Bruin retorted off-handedly, though it was clear in her eyes that Torak's words had caused her some worry. "I don't know a thing about you, much less whether or not I like you. I ain't budgin' because I ain't been told to budge." Of course, she didn't like him. Or she didn't think she did. She certainly didn't like the embarrassing position he'd forced her boss, and really al of them, into. Tolerating his antics and all. Up until now, it seemed.

Still, if any of the Bloods attacked the Lone Wolf they wouldn't be sitting in any cell, that was for sure.

"You had plenty of chances to help the Red Jackal before you ended up in here," Bruin quipped, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. "And you don't make a great case for yourself, buddy. Attackin' the Black Wolf, then saying in the same breath as 'you want to help her' that you want to kill the Red Jackal yourself." Something about this didn't sit well with her. Even if he were actually insane, why would he suddenly care about Zahi's welfare after the way he'd behaved? That made no sense, not if it was just some normal thing.

"Look," she said, her voice backing down a little. "Tell you what. You tell me just what it is that you mean - you're being awful cryptic, you know, 'Zahi. Danger. Let me out.' - and I'll see what I can do with that. You sound like you're not too much of a loon, then maybe we can get orders from Akello or from the Grey Wolf to, ah, reconsider your current situation. How 'bout that?"

Seriously. This was supposed to be her night off!

Brisinger987

Torak smiled at his guard. Torak had recently acquired a knack for judging emotion, and right now he was amused at this person.

"I have grown tired of Zahi's way of telling me I am not able to follow orders. I have to prove a point to her that I can follow instruction. If she dies before that happens, and it is because I am stuck in this damned cell, I'll track down all the guards who kept watch and kill you all. If anyone has the kill on Zahi, it will be me, when I see that she has grown weak and powerless. That is not today. That may never come." Torak laid everything out plainly, showing no more expression when talking about killing Bruin than when talking about killing Zahi.

"I don't know what sort of danger. Kassom left me this." Torak waved the coin in the air for bruin to see. "So let me out, and we can see?"

kleineklementine

Bruin actually laughed at this. Tired of being told he couldn't follow instructions? "You had plenty of chances to show you could follow instructions. And trust me, you ain't going to impress Zahi none by asking for another chance now."

The Blood Wolf watched Torak, unimpressed, as he rambled through his threats. "You sure do bluster. But you're not threatening a pregnant shop keeper now, and you're not the only one here who kills for a living." But the coin caught her attention, and Bruin's eyes narrowed on it. "Just what do you think you would do if I did let you out, then?"

Brisinger987

"Warn her. I have to stop her getting killed so I can have my chance. Why?" Torak crossed his arms, hiding the coin from bruin.

kleineklementine

"You have the noblest intentions," Bruin drawled, rolling her eyes again. 'I have to stop her getting killed so I can have my chance.' It was hard for her to believe that Torak had ever even wanted to join the Wolves at all, much less was allowed to. When he demonstrated such admirable loyalty to the guild.

At least this would give her something to talk about over a few beers when she finally got some time off.

"On the up side," she noted, "if all you plan to do is warn her, there's not much need to let you out then. Now you've told me, I can pass your warning on to the Red Jackal with no need for you to leave." Her brown eyes flashed as he pocketed the coin again. She'd pass that on, too. Bruin had never met Kassom, though she recognized the Lone Wolf's name. She wondered whether or not he was trustworthy. And whether that coin meant that Kassom had warned Torak about Zahi's safety on that coin, or if he'd threatened it.

Maybe this was more serious than just the rantings of a mad man. And maybe it wasn't. Maybe Torak wasn't so mad. Suddenly, Bruin thought she might have been being a bit lax on this. A night off wasn't the biggest loss, after all. So her tone was a bit sharper when she asked, "Unless there's any more information the Red Jackal needs to know?"

Brisinger987

"That I am at her disposal and offer my deepest apologies. If that means anything. So yes, you let me free, I go back to my superior, you go back to your night off." Torak had worked it out now. This kind of annoyance was only shown by someone who was enjoying themselves and was suddenly called to work. It was clear enough.

Nascent

"Tomorrow -- yeah, that'll do just fine." He hoped, anyway. He still had yet to get a good gauge of the situation -- for that he'd been to know where Zahi was and her condition. Something told him the Red Jackal was laying low for the time being, which would explain her being so hard to find. If anyone would be aware of any potential power plays and treachery within the Wolves it would be the Blood Wolves... and if Zahi had caught wind that trouble had her name on it she'd be all manner of cautious. If Rufus was worried enough to arrange for that letter then there had to be some threatening undercurrents, and in his absence the smart move for Zahi would be to make herself scarce and work from the shadows. It would make an enemy approaching her hard...

... and a non-enemy, potentially harder. If those who wanted to help her found her first, Kassom realized, they'd create a trail that could be followed. The alternative, of course, was letting whoever was out to get her -- Kassom's money was on the Beta -- get to her first. That he couldn't let happen; he was in this waaaaaaay too deep now to back out.

"Tomorrow it is then. Guess we'll meet up here and take it from there." He stepped away from the bar, but not before tossing Alko a few more coins. "Her next round's on me. I've gotta go have a few words with our trouble-making assassin friend."

---------------------------------------------------

Kassom hadn't been to the Den's holding cells before, and he doubted he ever would just on a fancy. There were few things thieves innately disliked more than the thought of being in a cage, and even with all the ways he knew to escape one in three steps or less the thought of being at someone else's mercy inside a box of iron bars sat with him about as well as the idea of swallowing his own tongue. Plus, either the place had an unusual odor or Ilaelis' perceptions were bleeding into his senses a bit; the demon sometimes reacted when in the presence of strong magic, and just by looking at certain of the cages one could tell that the enchantments here were high end and high octane.

Torak and his keeper, the unlucky Wolf who got to play guard that night, were towards the back. Hand rubbing his neck involuntarily, Kassom walked over and looked from one to the other.

"Mind if I have a few minutes alone with him, out of the cage? This guy and I have some unfinished business from when he tried to throttle me in the bar." He gave Bruin a smile and a wink. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna break him... just rough him up a bit. He has it coming."

zozee9

Zeina watched as Kassom left. Now that he was back in the Den, she was planning on keeping an eye on him. The Lone Wolf was a wild card... and wild cards were best to figure out. But due to his aura mishap, she could hardly even tell which side he was on. Well, at least she knew he wasn't planning on betraying her. That much was obvious.

Turning back towards the bar, Zeina took another sip from her drink. Then she sighed. Why was she getting caught up in all this drama? Oh right, to help Rufus. Leave it to him to go off without even talking to the guild as a whole. At least he was smart enough to expect turmoil and, apparently, make precautions.

She picked up the coins that Kassom had put down for a drink and stashed them in her skirt. Now that everyone important was gone and she was tired, she wasn't planning on drinking anymore. But no point letting the money go to waste. Zeina set down her now empty glass and said, "Thanks Alko." Then she left to go off and find Vent and Gaze. She could look for Zahi later.

Exiting the room, Zeina threw one last glance behind her. Something seemed off about the bar... some of the people in the bar... but she couldn't put her finger on it. Then it came to her. It seemed like she couldn't see the aura of most of the people in the bar. While it wasn't like Zeina went around looking into the eyes of everyone in the pack, she could see the auras of pack. Well, maybe there were just a lot of newcomers. Or people who had skipped the scavenger part of joining the pack and had never made eye contact with her otherwise. So Zeina just kept walking, deciding that she could deal with it later. Having to many hidden auras made her feel uncomfortable.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

"I let you out of there, and it'll be off with my head, not back to my night off," Bruin clucked. If he knew anything more, it didn't seem like he was going to say it now. And Bruin was getting a bit sick of his blunt requests. Didn't he understand what was going on? He hadn't given anyone reason to trust him. And she certainly wasn't going to be the first one to make that mistake.

Shifting the weight of her crossbow to the other arm, Bruin left the small cell window and returned to her post. She was done talking to Torak for now. She'd pass on what he'd said when she was relieved. "You can go ahead and make yourself comfortable," she called back. "You're not - "

But the arrival of the Black Wolf stopped her tongue. Standing more to attention, the Blood Wolf frowned at his a-little-too-casual request. Bruin wasn't sure what Kassom's involvement in this was, or what that coin meant. Whether he was friend or foe. Bruin liked having a boss who hadn't eagerly clawed her way to power, who had actually been one of them. And she wasn't eager for the Red Jackal position to be vacated again so some sadist like Vahn could grab it. The Black Wolf was, of course, far her superior. But as long as he was asking, she'd stand her ground.

"Sorry, sir," she said, shaking her head. Her tone was much more business with Kassom than it had been with Torak. "He's a teleporter. It'd be too easy for him to escape outside of the cell." A muscle in her face twitched; she was trying to figure out Kassom. Bruin might wish she had a few beers in her by now, but she wasn't so sloppy. She didn't think the Feral was here just to 'rough Torak up.' After a moment, she offered, "You can deal with him inside the cell, if you like, but I can't let him out."

Brisinger987

"You can kneecap me if I try. If Kassom wants to play rough, let him." Torak grinned, in challenge. It would look like he was challenging Kassom. But he had cooled off now, and Kassom had warned him about the Zahi issue. So Torak would talk before any beating occurred.

"I owe him, after all, I tried to strangle him."

Aeytrious

Alko was not in a pleasant mood over all the things he was overhearing in the bar lately. With what Heinin and Wag had been picking up on, and the fevered words of some of the Wolves Chora cared for, things were seeming to be quite grim. The behavior of a couple of his regulars was a bit off and Bujari was in an odd mood lately as well. What was Theo thinking? Running off because of that Dylanna Swinden. He always hoped Theo would marry the woman, and retire Rufus out of this life. Now that she had a son though, Alko wasn't sure if it would be possible for Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, to wed her.

He picked up the glasses after Zeina got up to leave. She seemed a bit troubled too. Perhaps it was time to ask Heinin to make contact with her. Rufus seemed to trust her enough. If choosing sides was gonna happen soon, it was best to start recruiting where they could. Having as many of the ranked Wolves on their side, would surely prove useful. Maybe he should reach out to Gaze as well. Best to have both Jackals and the Coyote at the least, as most of their factions would follow them. Things to consider.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

kleineklementine

All Jack wanted when he returned to his quarters was a drink, but this time alone, with no suspicious Black Wolves or crazed assassins or scuffling Blood Wolves. Given any choice at all, the Grey Wolf would gladly go back to how things used to be. He really rather liked the Beta position. He'd had standing over everyone other than Rufus, he really only had to do as much thieving work as he felt like, and he could spend most of his time over drinks, charming the guards and bosses of other operations into staying out of the Wolves' way. High payoff, great benefits, little responsibility. But that was gone now. Now everything was changed and, when he opened the door and entered his quarters, he was reminded of why.

Sitting with 'her' back to the door, calmly helping herself to a glass of scotch, was what appeared to be Melina Porter. Melina was a middle-aged woman who ran one of the store fronts that led into the Den. She'd been working with the Soot Wolves for decades, longer than Jack had been around anyway. She was no-nonsense and businesslike, but she was kind and Jack had liked her. 'Had' because, if this 'woman' was here unannounced and uninvited in his quarters, it was certainly not Melina Porter. Melina Porter, certainly, was dead.

"The others are too suspicious," the woman said without turning around to face Jack. It was, he supposed, Melina's voice in a way. But not in any of the ways that defined a person. "The Feral doesn't trust you any more than if you had great 'warning' signs painted on you. Nor do either of the women - our Kui aside, of course. Better intuition, perhaps." Though he couldn't see her face, Jack could tell this was said with a smile. He made no replies to the woman-who-was-not-a-woman, who was certainly not Melina. At least, he knew better than to make any excuses for himself. Nor did he ask how she had received news so fast. He'd learned already not to question the strange powers his new 'allies' possessed. "And the giant Yoreiqi," her tone was dangerous now, "has even started looking outside of this guild of yours. We must take more... concrete measures to shift that suspicion. We must divert their attention."

Jack said nothing, but moved from where he had stood to pour himself a scotch as well and sat opposite of Melina-not-Melina. And as he listened as she laid out the plan to be followed, he felt cold. This was no plan he would enjoy executing. But he was smart enough not to disagree. When she was done, he simply nodded.

"Yes," he agreed, "I can make that happen."

"Good," the woman purred. "I'd hate to think I'd chosen the wrong one from among you to aid me in this endeavor. But," the woman held up a finger, "in case there are any complications, in case your 'Alpha,'" she spit the word, "returns and more are loyal to him than we hope, I want some insurance. I want to know more about this man 'Canis Rufus.'"

Jack thought, then thought of the most obvious confidence Rufus kept. "Yes," he agreed again, going over the plan his associate just laid out, and sipped his scotch, "I can do that, as well."

Aeytrious

The bar was finally clearing out. Alko would be able to get some sleep. Five or six stragglers were still hanging about, but even on the edge of sleep, Wag wouldn't have trouble shooing them out. Alko locked up his cabinets and drawers, and waved Wag over. He slipped the bouncer a note to give Heinin regarding recruiting Zeina to their cause. "Could you get these stragglers outta here Wag? Don't need any drunk Wolves laying on the floor when I get back in a few hours." As Wag went around to shoo the lurkers away, Alko slipped away to his rooms, securing the seven locks and two crossbars, before bedding down for the night. He'd sleep eight hours, and wake at eleven. Nobody usually ordered drinks until noon.

Wag got the last of the drunken Wolves to head off toward the barracks to sleep it off, and then went straight to Heinin's rooms. The first room was open, as usual, but the second door was always kept locked, whether Heinin was there or not. Wag pushed open the slot next to the door, and slid the message from Alko through. The Fence would get the paper in the morning, Wag was sure of that. And if he was still as good as he claimed, Zeina would join up with them in no time. Wag took himself to his own bed then. He planned on sleeping until noon.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Nascent

Kassom eyed the anti-magic cage as if he didn't quite trust it... then shrugged his shoulders. "I guess that'll have to do, then. I'll just need a few minutes." He tossed Bruin a shiny silver coin -- "For your trouble." -- then headed for the cage doors.

"Back wall of the cage, Torak. No funny business." Kassom instructed in a 'don't mess with me' tone of voice, pulling out and idly twirling one of his many throwing daggers in a vaguely threatening manner. When Bruin opened the door he stepped inside, the enchanted prison clanged shut behind him. "That was some gall you showed at the bar, trying to choke me out like that. You think I became the Lone Wolf because I play well with others and need Blood Wolves to watch my back? Guess again."

He continued to bluster threateningly until Bruin had left them alone, or at least gave the appearance of leaving them alone. To assume naive trust from a fellow thief, even one playing guard, was just silly. Still, he could work the situation so that any prying eyes or eavesdropping ears would have a much harder time of it -- if Bruin managed to pick up the real conversation amidst the Feral's planned cacophony, then she had earned the right to listen in. For a few moments Kassom just glared coldly at the de-armored assassin... although Torak would likely notice that a change was coming over him. Kassom's red-hued fur was gradually draining of color, becoming a gritty shade of grey that seemed altogether unnatural. The change stopped about halfway, leaving Kassom looking like a bloodied monochromatic photograph of himself.

With a speed that even outpaced his own regular agility Kassom charged at Torak... and for a moment it looked as though he was just about intent on killing him. When the Feral's fist, somehow suddenly coated in steel, slammed noisily into the bars of the cage half a foot from Torak instead of the assassin himself, it became clear that a bit of a show was going on here. "Play along... and make it believable." The words were a half-grunted whisper -- it was obvious in Kassom's voice that he was exerting himself with this non-magic power and had no patience for any shenanigans at the moment.

A change, barely perceptible but fearsome, came over Kassom's eyes as they glared at Torak -- a fiercer demeanor and a very slight glow of cold blue. An entirely different voice whispered from Kassom's mouth,

"My host may have patience for you, assassin, but I do not."

"Not so tough without your fancy armor, eh killer? I always knew most of you assassins were just overdressed thugs --" He pounded the metal bars again. "--all bluster and no skill."

"You wish to redeem yourselves amongst the Wolves, very well. But your lack of subtlety has put much in jeopardy. Your 'Alpha' suspects foul play in his absence --"

Another bang against the bars, then another. Likely to Torak's surprise tendrils of living metal suddenly began to lash out from beneath Kassom's ragged clothes, creating yet further clamor and tumult to cover their conversation. The Feral leaned closer until he was practically whispering in Torak's ear.

"-- and has called on us to see that it is prevented. Use your mortal logic, and think hard. Who stands most to gain in a leader's departure? To whom would it most benefit should this 'Zahi' meet an unfortunate fate?"

"Is it not the very man you were so eager to pledge yourself to, blood spiller?"

The demon within Kassom paused in its diatribe to pull a trio of throwing blades from a hidden pocket. In its hand Torak would see the metal twist and morph, taking on the shape and design of a dagger that was almost the length of a short sword. It was surreptitiously held out to Torak.

"Hide this. Use it to break the lock and escape. Since you fail to be subtle, be overt. Find Zahi -- draw as much attention as you can in the process. Lead those who would seek to harm her to her, and we will follow."

"Do this right... and we will vouch for you to the Alpha. Is it agreed?"

Brisinger987

The White Mask lurched out in Torak's mind and whispered a word back.

"They recognise Torak, not me. Play along with this, and it might work you say. We are in agreement, Kassom."

Torak was given control back, and he took the dagger cautiously, and hid it down his shirt, falling over in a faked choking fit, and letting his head and hands hit the floor simultaneously, creating damage that would look like blunt force trauma.

"You think... I am... Just some stupid... Petty... Assassin? N-no..." Torak tried to rise, and forced a rather realistic sway.

"You got your... Revenge... What more do you want?" Torak coughed, and the dagger moving in his shirt scratched him, causing small, insignificant bleeds.

"If you want a proper fight, show me what you got you stupid little boy." Torak hoped Kassom would actually hit him, just to make the faked wounds look more realistic. And the moment the White Mask got to work on making an appearance, it would all become simpler.

kleineklementine

Bruin was straining to listen to what was happening inside the cell. She hadn't actually expected the Feral to enter and her suspicion of the Black Wolf was piqued. He'd been far too grinning and casual about the whole ordeal. She didn't get the chance listen to too much, though, before Yannick appeared.

"Got called in to replace you," the older Blood Wolf informed Bruin gruffly. She looked at him, nonplussed. She'd been told she was on duty all night. But Yannick outranked her and why should he be here if not to relieve her? Certainly no one was too keen to watch Torak, who'd been a thorn in the side of the Bloods since his arrival. "And you got tomorrow off, you lucky thing."

Bruin nodded slowly, then tilted her head towards the commotion in the cell. Strange that Yannick hadn't asked about it. "Black Wolf. Here to exact his revenge, he says. Asked to take the bloody idiot out of the cage. Told 'im that wasn't an option, so in he went."

Yannick gave a snort of appreciation at the sounds of Torak's beating. "Well, I can just hope he gives me a reason to join in."

Bruin gave Yannick a long look. Something seemed off about him. Something about this whole situation had left her deeply unsettled. Maybe it was just being called in on her night off, she told herself. Maybe not. Either way, she'd be reporting every detail of this, right down to Yannick's arrival.

"Well, g'luck with that," she said as a final farewell, and nodded curtly to the other Blood.

Yannick watched Bruin leave. He had, in fact, been sent to relieve her. But perhaps not by who Bruin would expect. His master was quite interested in finding out what the Feral and the assassin were up to.

Brisinger987

((OOC: I know this is ridiculously short, but it needs to be done!))

Veskos took control of Torak's mind briefly, and assessed what was going on. The new guard would be easy to kill, and was definitely not a friendly. Instead the demon decided to reach out to Kassom with a small bit of demonic telepathy.

"Hey, Kassom. Look at the new guy. Odd. Not friendly by any means. Working for our lovely friend who wants to take out my superior perhaps? By my reckoning, this goes all the way back to Jack, haha! Weaken Rufus' support, uproot his allies and burn them, then swing at the big tree and every apple should fall to the ground, where they can be consumed. He wants power. And I would know, I fight Torak for it often enough..." The telepathy would be in Kassom's head only, as the anti-magic field wouldn't let it go outside.

Nascent

(OOC: Brisinger, if you're going to add a demonic persona to your character out of the blue it might behoove you to fully update Torak's profile to reflect that. There's nothing in there about telepathy of any kind; it doesn't give people the best impression of you as an RPer if you invent new character traits / powers off the cuff whenever they're convenient.)

For just a few moments, Kassom's expression went utterly blank as he heard a second voice come from Torak. No... the odds of that were... he could barely fathom. In some back corner of his mind he supposed he had always considered himself unique, his "bond" with Ilaelis something that set himself apart in a world of warriors and magic users; to suddenly have that notion interrupted was... jarring, in a way he thought he'd outgrown years ago. Emotions whirled through the Feral's mind -- disappointment, anger, distrust -- before he felt Ilaelis' quiet insistence that he remain calm and professional. With it came the feeling that they would take care of this new development when the time was right.

Kassom did have to credit Torak's acting skills somewhat, at least -- he was making this believable, though the self-inflicted bruises and all wouldn't really sell it well enough. He'd have to actually get aggressive with the assassin. "What do I want, he asks? How about a little freaking respect? You want me to beat it into you? Fine! We can do it that way."

Just as he was pulling back for another fake punch, though, the demonic telepathy hit... and the strangest thing happened.

------------------------------------------------------

"Well well well..."

Instead of merely speaking into Kassom's mind, the brief telepathic link created a bridge between the two demonic entities; seizing upon the thread of unholy power that the White Mask had sent tendril-like into his host's mind, Ilaelis had pulled the connection tight... and brought the two demons face to face, in a manner of speaking. The mental "realm" they now shared was as strange and ethereal as it was impossible -- hazy gray fog drifted on the ground and far overhead, punctuated by black voids that appeared at random to suck down the mist like miniature black holes, only to vanish seconds after emerging. Between the two fog banks could be seen a backdrop of endless shadow, pitch-black far into the distance. This place, which was somewhere between "real" and imagined, seemed to exist in the mind of both Torak and Kassom simultaneously... endlessly dark, murky, and ominous, yet none of this hindered perceptions whatsoever.

The voice was at first disembodied... slowly, twirling together and being given form through sheer will, the endless fog banks gave Ilaelis a body. Hooded robes of liquid steel clothed the demon's polished obsidian skin, both of which gleamed despite this "place" having no source of light. It's eyes glowed with mystical blue fire and its whole body wreathed and burned within an unnatural black inferno. The demon of metal stepped forward, every shift of its weight and flex of its fingers echoing with the sound of steel ringing and clashing, scraping and grinding -- a sound cacophonous one moment and melodious the next.

"How long has it been since I tasted the fell energies of my kind? A pleasant gift, those words you whispered to my host. Come, meet me here demon. I would speak with you, away from our vessels."

------------------------------------------------------

The punch, which had originally been merely a feint, connected squarely with Torak's jaw -- this fist was mere flesh and blood and anger, the steel skin and graying fur of moments before quickly retreating back out of sight. The tendrils of metal also ceased their clamor against the enchanted cage and slithered back under ragged clothes, becoming simple daggers once more. The demon Ilaelis was otherwise occupied -- Kassom would have to finish this up on his own.

The assassin would soon find himself hoisted up, and brought face to face with the Feral. The look in his eyes was not happy. "Sounds like your 'friend', at least, is savvy." He whispered, eyes glaring. "Might be worth listening to."

Letting Torak go (roughly), the Black Wolf walked back to the entrance of the cage and called out. "I'm done here, thanks. I doubt he'll be much trouble for you now."