Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Presents for the Red Jackal! [[Nemo, Bris!]]

Started by kleineklementine, July 11, 2013, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Related to events happening here!

Zahi hated messy jobs. She much preferred things to be quick and clean. But, she thought as she stood over a shallow basin, washing partially dried blood from her arms and face, sometimes it was just messy, and that's the way it went. And things only seemed to be getting messier. She'd lost half a dozen Blood Wolves to this business with the Mountain Cats. And then this semi-cryptic letter from Rufus before he took off.

"I can sense some unrest that I'll deal with when I return," she repeated the words in her head. There had always been a faction within the Blood Wolves that wasn't entirely satisfied with their lot. Not an altogether rare sentiment amongst those who wielded martial power, whatever the group. It'd been gaining some momentum before the tragic death of Zahi's predecessor and she thought that she had dealt with it rather swiftly when she took his place. But since the arrival of Torak and what was widely seen as her joke task of babysitting him, she knew it was growing again. She wondered, too, if there wasn't some other element at work, but for now it remained hidden to her.

Well, it was only a matter of time before she dealt with Torak. The Red Jackal was just waiting for him to step indisputably out of line, and then that was that. She didn't maintain her authority by killing every Wolf who annoyed her, or she'd have done it long ago.

The door to her quarters creaked open. It was Spot. The Shadow Wolf, an eccentric but a loyal one, never knocked. Zahi wouldn't normally tolerate this, but Spot was one of the few Wolves she really trusted and the younger woman gave her no other trouble. Still, she gave the Shadow Wolf a disapproving look as she closed the door behind her. "That's going to get you killed one day," she said as a greeting.

Spot gave a little shrug and leaned in the doorway, a knowing smile on her face. "I brought you some presents. Souvenirs from Ketra and a few other things I picked up along the way.  Which one do you want first?"

Zahi dried herself. Her clothes were still blood-stained, but that could wait for now. "Why don't you tell me about your trip to Ketra first."

Spot grinned. That she would do gladly. Though Spot told the events gleefully, delighting in Torak's missteps , Zahi frowned while listening to it. Even if she was waiting for this kind of stunt from the new "Shadow Wolf," she still didn't like hearing about these kind of antics that could be associated with the Soot Wolves.

"But here's the best part. I only read one of them, but I think they're all the same. Here's your first present," Spot announced proudly, handing the bundle of envelopes over to the Red Jackal like a cat presenting its owner with a particularly tasty mouse.

Zahi's eyes widened, and then narrowed, as she read the letters. This was exactly what she had been waiting for. She could finally relieve herself of the teleporting tin man. "Did you already show these to Lupus?" Zahi asked. With the Red Wolf gone, these should have been brought first to the Beta Wolf in his stead.

Spot shrugged again. "No," she answered airily. "I wanted to bring them to you first. But I think someone might have already brought him some news," she admitted, "because I was also given this on my way over here."

Spot handed Zahi the letter sealed with the symbol of the Beta Wolf.

Torak too valuable. Discipline him however you wish, but do not kill him. Rufus won't look kindly on discarded tools when he returns.

- Canis Lupus

The blood drained from the Red Jackal's face. Not in fear, but in cold anger. This directly undermined her authority. She didn't "discipline" and all of her Wolves knew it. Torak was a greater liability than any of them were at the moment. Any Blood Wolf who directly went against her orders would wake up dead. She couldn't maintain that power if she couldn't apply it uniformly. She didn't care if the idiot could teleport into the richest treasury in Arca. Surely this fact was not overlooked by either the Red or the Beta Wolf. Which, she wondered, really wanted to keep Torak alive.

But Jonathan Amsel was such a sycophant that she had a hard time imagining the Beta making the decision on his own. Whoever it came from, this order would not help handle Torak, and it would certainly not help handle the uneasy Blood Wolves.

Spot bit her lip while watching Zahi process the short note. She didn't know what it said, but she could guess. She offered with a forced cheerfulness, "Still one present left!" With that, she opened the door to the quarters for the Dire Wolf who she'd left waiting outside.

Brisinger987

Torak had arrived back at Arca quite a few days before, and was angry. His contract proof's had been missing all that time! He had lost evidence of his activities! If the Red Jackal got hold of that, he would be as good as dead. Thank god he could teleport, and she couldn't.

He sat in a room of his own, having found it vacant and nabbing it. It was his as far as anyone was concerned. He had done everything he was asked. He had reported to Zahi on Black Market activity for 2 weeks now, ever since he joined. His expedition to Ketra had been following a black market lead. And ending with him setting of stun and smoke bombs on a Ketra slave deal.

So, Torak lay on his bed, trying to think of what to do about this situation. He could abandon the wolves, go back to his old ways.  But then he would have the wolves on his case.

He ran his hands through his hair, frustrated.

Nemo

Charon would normally never have been behind the door. The situation played a thousand other times in his head - being presented as some kind of gift was an insult in his book, and it was one he'd have words with Spot later about... but it was respect for the Blood Wolf that saw the Dire Wolf stay his bout of mischief. Ordinarily, he would have already have been in the room, and they would never have known he was there - darkness, ancient and endless, was his friend. But... perhaps now, some diplomacy was called for.

And so Charon stood there, back to the door frame, when it opened. The hulking figure ducked through the doorway, his hood up as a barrier against the night air, intense blue eyes trained and expression deadpan as he stared at Spot. His disapproval for her presentation was almost physical thing, like an iron bar, or a big-ass needle pinning her to the wall, but it was short lived. Even as he rose to his fill height and eclipsed the doorway, his deadpan expression alighted on the shewolf matron of Blood.

As was customary of his people when visiting those worthy of respect, he brought a gift - a bottle of wine, which he, without taking his eyes off of the blood wolf, set on a convenient stand nearby.

"I have come to you." his deep bass voice stated flatly. "Accept this as a token of my respect." he said, without referring to the bottle. "I will render aid, and be 'available to you'." the snowy-skinned, dark-haired giant said, each statement an expression of immutable fact - he wasn't good at human speech, it was not his forte... but he gave it a go. If it made people uncomfortable... well, all to the better. That was his job wasn't it?!

kleineklementine

Zahi shot Spot a dangerous look when she realized that the last "present" was the services of the Dire Wolf. The Red Jackal's displeasure with this particular Shadow Wolf was apparent to everyone now in the room. Her cheeky attitude was one matter in private, but treating a superior like this was out of line, even for Spot. Spot, on the other hand, grinned largely and cheerily up at Charon - up being the operative word!

"Get out of here, Spot," Zahi said coldly and a bit gruffly, her eyes narrowed.

Sensing the chastisement, Spot heaved a dramatic sigh then, with another of her little shrugs, gave Zahi a little, and yet somehow still overdone, bow. To get out, she had to move a wide circle around the large Dire Wolf, and on her way out she gave him, also, a theatrical curtsy. The door shot behind her.

"That attitude is going to get her killed sooner rather than later," Zahi said, shaking her head, half to herself and half to Charon. "And you can bet she won't treat Kia any better than she treats you or I. But she certainly shouldn't have left you outside," she said, speaking to Charon directly now. "You'll have to accept my apologies for that."

Zahi's mismatched eyes flowed over the Dire Wolf now. "I will render aid, and be 'available to you.'" Outwardly, the Red Jackal's expression was impassive, cooly considering the situation, but inwardly she frowned. This was a strange move. The Dire Wolf, who typically stayed close to Rufus, should be with the Beta now, surely? And what did it mean that Rufus had sent the strange, silent, huge man to her instead? Perhaps he thought she needed help. Perhaps he thought she needed watching. A firm hand close by, incase... What?

She needed to take care of this issue in her Blood Wolves. She knew that she could easily been seen as complicit or worse, and certainly responsible no matter what. But first, she remembered the envelopes that Spot had delivered, she needed to take care of Torak. Well, whatever the Dire Wolf was doing here, perhaps that was something she could use his help with.

The Red Jackal broke her spell of consideration and took the bottle of wine from Charon. "Thank you," she said graciously with a bow of her head. "In fact, there is a task I could use a hand with tonight... if you are able? I realize it's late."

Nemo

Charon considered the implications of the phrase 'late', and found them good. It had a certain... Finality to it, a patness that pleased him, and it implied darkness. Speech was a strange mode of self expression, with meanings nestled in meanings nestled in meanings. What art. What beauty. He smiled almost imperceptibly. He would not kill spot. No, a dead monkey learns only how to sit still.

"Late." He said flatly, and nodded. "Yes, the hour is late. But much may yet be done." Came his reply. It seemed a perfectly sensible thing to say - it was perfectly honest and direct. Just cryptic. He bowed a little, in respect to the Blood Wolf, and said "I am able." And stood straight. "I am willing. His black lips cracked into a momentary smile.

Brisinger987

Torak was rooting through what few possessions he had. He had thrown spare clothes everywhere, opened bags of letters and poured them everywhere. They must have been there! He had never dropped them. Or had he?

He threw items over the room, in his desperate and frustrated search.

"GODS DAMMIT!!! WHERE ARE MY PAPERS?!" He shouted.

kleineklementine

The Red Jackal did something she almost never did: smiled. This isn't particularly how she liked to do things - no, it wasn't remotely how she liked to do things - but she had to admit that this was rather convenient. At least, it was convenient for this situation with Torak. After that, she still worried what the implications of Charon's assignment to her were - and what they would be perceived to be.

She nodded to Charon. Zahi wasn't really one for words, and appreciated the mostly silent nature of the Dire Wolf. She took the papers Spot had brought her and, setting one aside, stowed the rest away. One would suffice to confront Torak with and she wanted the rest safe; she didn't want him just exploding all the evidence. Then she went to another drawer and withdrew an item she had made sure to procure very shortly after the assassin had joined the Soot Wolves. The keys to his quarters.

The Red Jackal put two long knives in her belt and the letter in a pocket in her tunic. She led the Dire Wolf out of her quarters and silently towards where Torak should be. Zahi stopped when they reached the hall that led to the assassin's room. She could already hear the racket he was making. He never failed to disappoint, did he?

Zahi motioned for the Dire Wolf to wait here. For now, she wanted Torak to think her alone. If he tries to leave, stop him... however you like," she added. "But if you see him teleport, then kill him if I haven't first."

She didn't care what the Gray Wolf said. She wouldn't care if it had come from Rufus directly. If Torak teleported away from this 'conversation,' the Blood Wolves would hunt him down. She could deal with the fallout herself after the fact.

Moving silently, Zahi inserted the key into the door and turned it and pulled the door open to reveal the scene inside: Torak in a rage, with clothes and papers and all his belongings strewn across the room.

"Well, well, Torak," she said casually, leaning against the door frame. "You must have expected me. You cleaned."

Brisinger987

Torak jumped and instantly knocked over a small table in his frustration.

"The Red Jackal! I-I-I-I wasn't, uh, expecting you..." He grabbed things that were grouped and stuffed them away, hurriedly trying to clear the room.

"I was merely, uh, looking for something I lost is all..." He threw a tunic into a draw, rough folding being all he did. He grabbed the chainmail he had procured and put that into the draw below, along with some leather gloves he had gotten.

"Is there, uh, something I can help you with, Canis Simensis?" He turned to her and gave her an awkward smile, as his room now looked scruffy, not messy.

kleineklementine

Zahi raised her eyebrows in response to Torak's clumsy reception. Knocking the table over, the flustering words. What, exactly, had Rufus been thinking, making this man a Shadow Wolf? "Maybe," was the only answer she gave for the moment.

Without invitation, she crossed the room and sat down on Torak's bed, crossing her legs and leaning forward to rest her chin on her hand. Now nothing was between Torak and the open door. It was as though she was daring him to run.

"I just like to keep tabs on my Wolves. You've been here for, what, almost a month now? How are you settling in, Torak?" Her tone was casual, conversational, almost friendly. A tone that, from a clinical misanthrope like the Red Jackal, was dangerous. "The work is satisfying? You don't miss your, ah, old line of work?"

Brisinger987

Torak listened for a minute, and felt the tone was odd. And when she came out with the point about his "old line of work", he knew she had the contracts.

"Contracts are good reading material. How many of mine did you get?" Torak adopted a similar, sarcastically jaunty tone. "I am assuming you got them, because last time you mentioned my line of work, you said that it was to never come up again. That, naturally, means you won't bring it up." He went to pick up the table, his mood serious. He had learnt how to deduce, if anything.

"Tell me, how did you come by them? The incident in Ketra, with the slave trader? Or the girl in the forest perhaps? Or did you have someone raid my quarters using your keys? After all, the keyhole has scratchmarks, and they aren't mine." Torak went over to the whiskey glass, and poured himself a glass.

"Care for some?" His tone had changed to a deathly happiness.

Nemo

Charon took in his instructions from the red jackal thoughtfully as he followed her down the hall. His broad shoulders nodded through the doorway as he moved in behind the woman, but when she led the way, he melted into the shadows. Subtlety wan't the issue - that was not his intention. His intention was to lay in wait, to be the threat the lad could not see. Humans, he'd found, were not worthy of trust, generally speaking, and there were exceptions, but they were just that - exceptional. He would act when the situation required action. Until then... He would listen, and think.

The hallway creaked as the Red Wolf passed, and torches seemed to dim as the Shadowking (A ravener discipline of monsterous self-mastery) rode the darkness, his form absent save the darkness itself. The scene the red wolf revealed said alot about both of them - he was not incredibly social as Soot Wolves went, and this was exactly a good example of why. He had little patience for dishonesty, and people like Zahl made his skin crawl. Why had Rufus chosen him to help this creature? She was completely beyond trust. She reminded him of his son. 'You cleaned' indeed.

Her behavior was disgraceful, but he was the patient third wheel. He would obey Rufus, he liked a man who had, in certain specialized areas, rules. He was respectable. So, the least he could do was to tend the situation a bit. The doorway darkened, very slowly... And a kind of malevolence came from the black portal. Something felt... Ominous, threatening about the door now, without anything obviously changing. He was trying to discourage the lad from even thinking of it as an exit.

kleineklementine

Zahi hated working like this.

She didn't like acting and she didn't like using excessive amounts of nonlethal violence to garner respect. She preferred her business dealings to be direct, quick, and clean. And if this were any other Wolf, that's what it would be. If he were any other Wolf, Torak would be dead. And that was the issue.

Zahi had a job to do, and it was only hindered by babysitting this ridiculous assassin. What had Rufus been thinking, giving her this task and then demanding she treat Torak differently than every other Wolf she was responsible for. It directly undermined her authority with the Blood Wolves. It was like she was being set up to fail. It was like she was being set up. 

The thought hadn't occurred to Zahi before now. Maybe she had been too distracted by all that business with the Cats. There was no reason for anyone to have a particular vendetta against her... She'd been here for years, had never made a grab for power, and only desired to be the Red Jackal because she liked seeing a job well done, and thought she could do it best. But controlling the Blood Wolves... That could be a very powerful position for someone who wanted power. And controlling them from the shadows... Even better. While all Wolves, or most, could fight, the Blood Wolves were at a different level. It was their business. It was why Zahi ran such a tight ship. It was why she kept the Bloods so limited in what they did and why she demanded such strict discipline from them.

But there was no reason for Rufus to set her up. He could have made anyone Red Jackal. He could do at ever he wants with the Bloods. But, of course, the directive to keep Torak alive hadn't come from Rufus. Still, she was in a tenuous position now, especially if she were correct. She couldn't be seen to be directly defying orders. So she decided to change tacts. The Dire Wolf would still be useful here, if everything she heard of him was true. She could only trust that he was now within hearing range. She'd bet that he was.

"Torak," she said now, the false friendliness gone from her voice, she was talking straight now, "why did you join this organization? Before, if you didn't want to follow any rules or basic conduct, you didn't have to. Your attitude suggests you'd be better off on your own. You clearly don't enjoy the constraints that go along with being a Soot Wolf. So what are you doing here? You're not going to advance by ignoring and sassing your superiors, whoever they are. So why are you wasting both of our time?"

There was oohing threatening or sarcastic in her voice. The questions were genuine ones. Zahi knew that she would gain nothing by making a series of threats she was forbidden to carry out. But maybe she could make some progress by another route.

Brisinger987

"Freedom is life's one true lie Zahi, we all know that even if we reach the rank of king or queen, there is something above you. That is why, you find a good master, not a good life. You find a master that makes you stronger, more refined at what you do. A blacksmith apprentice tries to learn from the best. A thief apprentice in Arca looks to the Soot Wolves for guidance, for learning. Being a Soot Wolf gives me a reason to be defined, something to actually bother striving for. Not money, or respect, I care for none of those things. I want strength, and precision, and efficiency. To have strength, efficiency, and precision, I need to have a master who can incite fear, loyalty and strength in one." Torak sat, and looked at Zahi, knowing exactly where he was going with his little speech.

"I do not want to kill mindlessly. the Soot Wolves could kill me in my sleep, from Hyoite to Essyrn. You are a powerful group, and your force and strength scare me. I would not tarnish your reputation, out of respect and fear. Thus, I am forced to refine my methods. The Soot Wolves make me better, stronger."

Torak took a sip from his drink, and invited Zahi to sit.

"Even your assignments have made me better. You incite fear and respect in me."

Torak nodded to her in sincere respect. Flattery was his route out here.

"I have tested my superiors, and they are deserving. Well, you and Rufus are anyway, and Charon. Who, I know, from doing the same trick myself, is blending into the shadows outside. I can tell when someone else is doing it. It sets of a small magical alarm in my head. The same as I can sense other people teleporting." Torak looked over at the door, waiting to see if Charon left.

Nemo

What the boy said in his syncophantic little speech and what he meant were an interesting disparity, but Charon kept his amusement to himself. Were it he the boy served, he would probably either be dead at this point, or gurgling in a heap with a broken arm and a not-so-pretty face. But he was observant at least, and Charon gave credit where it was due. He had sensed him, despite everything, and he was calm enough to call the old ravener out on it. Yes... Probably he would not have killed the lad.

Even so.

Charon sounded, when his voice came, as if his lips were right beside Vakar's ear when his murmured deep bass voice came. The room darkened for a moment, a flicker of time, and a hulking, monsterous shape was momentarily visible, blue eyes glowing like blue fire,but it was gone just as quickly.

"Don't play with words, boy." It wasn't a threat exactly - just a warning, his soft voice contriving to make clear exctly what kind of dim views he held abou fancy speeches and suckups. He was still here of course - he had been asked a favor.

kleineklementine

Ooc:  She's actually already sitting on Torak's bed. Also, sorry for weird typos. iPad!

Zahi had to make a physical effort not to roll her eyes at Torak's little musing about life and freedom and lies. She was less concerned now about disciplining him, though her desire to kill him was as high as ever. But she wanted to know if her instincts were right about why he couldn't be killed, and whether or not he was playing any knowing part in it. He had arrived at a rather convenient time, shortly before Rufus had been forced to leave, to act like an ass and potentially upset the balance of power in the Blood Wolves. His actions had either been those of one working with their own agenda that had nothing to do with the interests of the Soot Wolves, or of someone with a startling lack of understanding of how to behave in a group. She wanted to know which.

"Cut the crap flattery, Torak. You don't respect me or Rufus or the Guild. You may very well think that you do, but respect is about more than thinking or saying. You fail to follow the simplest commands asked of you. As for 'tarnishing reputations,' what do you think you're doing? Dropping bombs, starting public riots and massacres? Has it occurred to you that this is a business? Antics like that are bad for business. Refined methods? You have to know that you're already a joke, Torak. These things don't go unnoticed by other Wolves."

"And if you were any other Wolf, you'd be dead already." Zahi was taking a risk now and she knew it. But if Torak gave any indication of knowing or involvement, or maybe even smugness, with what she was about to say, she'd kill him, Grey Wolf or no. She didn't care if he could teleport. "But luckily for you, someone - and it isn't me - wants you alive awhile longer." Zahibthougt again about just killing him now, but she knew Jack could have her killed or removed for directly going against 'the Red Wolf's' orders. If she was right at all, a power vacuum in the Blood Wolves could be a very dangerous thing for the Wolves right now. Se glanced momentarily at Charon. She still didn't know what his part in all of this was. Maybe the two of them were about to kill her. Maybe that's why she was here. Well, one thing at a time.

"But you won't go anywhere in this, or any, guild if you go on acting like a loose cannon. And for better or worse, while you're a Soot Wolf, you and I are stuck with each other. So I'm going to give you an option, which is something I almost never do. I'm not an idiot. I value strength,  it not without discipline, show me you can practice both," this was like talking to a child, but she kept her tone level, "and I may value you. So you can either stay a Soot Wolf and work with me, work with me," she repeated the last three words with individual slow emphasis, "or I can relieve you of your duties, and you can leave the Soot Wolves. I can't make any promises about what happens to you then. But you've been a liability, Torak, one that the guild can't afford."

This wasn't, strictly speaking, really an 'option' so much as an ultimatum. But it was as close as most got from the Red Jackal.

Brisinger987

"If you must know the first bomb was an accident. Merely a distractive device, the second was not in any way traceable to the Soot Wolves. The ceramic was forged from Adelan clay, in an Adelan oven, bought by someone claiming to be of the blue skull's in Ketra, wearing Adelan clothing, and..." Torak paused to prepare his voice for conversation. He spoke the next bit in a perfected Adelan accent. "In an Adelan accent."

He showed no sign of smugness on his face, despite the fact he was truly grinning internally. He had enjoyed it. The Blue Skull's had bad rep, and only the Soot Wolves knew the truth.

"Did I not bring you the information you asked me to bring you on black market deals and chains? Every three days as asked? I was in Ketra following a lead. I am in with several gangs, hence the numerous uniforms, and no-one has spotted my ruse. I would say personally that is a command well followed, but if you have improvements, things to refine, I will refine them. Admittedly, I kept my old profession going, and that was against your orders, but my respect for the Soot Wolves has made meant leaving nothing to trace. I have been careful."

"But, if it is your will, I will obey." He submitted, leaving his point on the table. If he had to give up his job, he would.

kleineklementine

For just a moment, the Red Jackal thought that Torak might be smart enough to just say "Yes, ma'am" and shut his mouth. But this was doomed to be a night full of disappointment.

Zahi never ceased to be amazed by this man's arrogance. At least Spot had seen through his guise, and she suspected she wouldn't have been the only one. Did he really think that he was so clever that no one else could possibly have seen through it? Or at least suspected? A smart Wolf, in Zahi's opinion, would never have taken the completely unnecessary risks in the first place. Impact bombs, smoke bombs... sloppy theatrics. But what troubled her more was his assertion that it was an accident. Did he think he was somehow not accountable for his accidents?

Her frustration with Torak only grew when he challenged her on whether or not he'd been doing the tasks she'd set out for him. Collecting information on the black market and small time gangs was not the test she'd set him. The test was whether or not he could listen and do what he was told with regard to violence and assassinations. If he hadn't figured that out, despite her explicitly telling him so when she'd set the challenge to him, she wasn't going to repeat it to him now. '...my respect for the Soot Wolves has meant leaving nothing to trace.' Please. Respect was clearly something he knew nothing about, and her patience with him was long since spent.

So she watched him, impassively, considering what to do with him now. With his attitude, it wouldn't really matter now if he did stop working his 'side jobs' - and she doubted he would - not when he blatantly disrespected her and the Guild. Though she'd initially brought Charon along with the intention of letting the Dire Wolf thrash him, she wasn't really interested in this now. Zahi had no use for people who could only learn through pain. She preferred her Wolves to be smart enough that they didn't need to be beaten. After all, dogs can learn to behave without striking them.

No, clearly Torak lacked the sense or willingness or ability to work with anybody. Or, at least not with her.

"Close, but not quite. 'Working with someone' doesn't mean kicking and screaming and giving excuse after excuse every time you're told to do something you don't like. Or constantly challenging the people you answer to. Maybe you think that, for some reason, you deserve to not have to fall in line like every other Wolf in the guild, but I don't. You're relieved of your duties, Torak."

She waited a moment to let the statement land.

"Get out of here. You're back to being a street assassin who's murdered several Wolves and extensively damaged property and reputation of the Guild. Stick around, and the Blood Wolves will kill you. But at the moment, you still have the opportunity to leave. If you're not happy with that, maybe you can take it up with Rufus when he gets back, if you can arrange a meeting with him. Or, in the meantime, I suppose with the Grey Wolf." This might seem like an odd hand to play, showing Torak the means by which he could go over her head. But she wanted to see what Jack would do if that's where Torak went. And it would serve as a message from her to the Grey Wolf. And if Jack decided to keep Torak around? Fine, let Torak be Jack's problem. And let the rest of the Wolves know why Torak was still around, alive. "Whatever you do, get out of my sight before I change my mind."

Though it wasn't one she expected him to take - or maybe even pick up on it - in a way Zahi was giving Torak a third option: Go to the Grey Wolf, ask him to reverse my decision, stay loyal to me, and I just might come to trust you.

Brisinger987

Torak finally lost his temper. Zahi was just kicking him out. Just like that. He hated that.

"Fine, I will go then. Good day Zahi." If he was no longer a wolf, titles no longer mattered, he didn't care. He walked past Charon, making sure not to knock into him or aggravate the Lycoravener brute.

He stormed down to the armoury, and blended. Then, when the corridor was dark, he teleported, straight inside his armour. Then, the same way, he teleported back out. He hadn't even moved.

He took himself, and repeated this to get his sword back. He had the crossbow bracer and sword. Everything else was theirs. They could be replaced.

He stormed through to the Wolves den entrance, and stopped, thinking. The Grey Wolf... Surely the Beta held some power. Surely. The Beta could transfer Torak, get him put into the command of someone strong. The Matriarch perhaps, or the Coyote. Not Zahi though. he considered the idea of genuinely leaving. But word of his leaving would spread fast.

Finally, he made his decision, and went to find Jack.

kleineklementine

Zahi watched Torak leave with a hard look. She was sure, as much as she'd love to believe otherwise, that this was not the last time she'd have to deal with the man. But for now let him disappear for awhile, or else let Jack deal with him.

Remembering the Dire Wolf, Zahi turned her eyes his way. "Not what you would have done?" she asked. There was nothing confrontational in her voice. But she was curious what the Charon thought of the situation. "I don't think he means a word that comes out of his mouth and if I could have arranged it for us to see the last of him... Well, I'm sure that won't be the last we've seen of him now."

Nemo

Suddenly, Charon was on the bed beside her. He'd always been, and hadn't been at the same time. The shadows of the room, the darkness, it just seemed to spit him up. Little girls like Spot sometimes befriended the darkness or fell in love with it or whatever, and sometimes men called it their own, but Charon was the son of the dark itself, the dark between real and unreal, the true quill. Everything else was just a lack of light.

"No." Came his frank reply. "He would be much quieter afterward. But he would have left alive, and he would be more thoughtful in the future" he looked at her, his expression deadpan. "I would have removed his tongue, and his left pinky." He said. He really did mean what he said. He turned his gaze to the door and stood slowly, the movement eerily silent.

"For the doing of this, you will give me five pounds of apples and five pounds of grapes." He said, perhaps a strange thing to say... But there it was. He still bore that deadpan expression - but how many people would ask for payment in fruit for a job that could have ended in someone getting killed? It was no secret however that charon supplied the wolves' tavern - perhaps he was working on something?