Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lady of the Revolution

Started by visualspice, July 24, 2013, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This is a work in progress post, I will remove this OOC note once I finish editing it XD
I just didn't want to accidentally lose it since the post is long @_@

THE POST IS GOOD ENOUGH
XD
-------------------

"I come here not as a woman, or a figure of politics, but as a voice," she began, stepping out before the growing crowd that had been gathering outside of the Grand Duke's palace.  There had been a lot of unrest since several cities along the boarder in the south had been 'stomped' out by army, and many people were growing panicked and upset. So here, gathering in the square, it had been organized among the people that they ought to meet, stand before the Grand Duke's palace in protest.  Such an idea formed not but a few months ago, as the woman before them, Lady Katahnia Harmond, had started off her own campaign to try to peacefully speak to each city int he streets, calling out to the dukes and high lords there of, and of the normal, average people who were suffering. She was speaking to anyone that would listen, just a quiet voice at first that now, like a wild fire, was spreading and growing strong. This was a revolution, and an attempt to unify those of the suffering.

"And though I had once been a lady of station, it has been unfortunately resigned for me for my mother's ideals so long ago. Yet what I protest here is not about myself, or those unspoken travesties, but my desire to tell you I feel for what you are saying, and I have spoken out in each city against this unjust war that continues to rage all around us. How long are we going to stand around, listening to what the men tell us out of fear, rather than logic? Has Connlaoth not suffered enough?"

She shook her head, the crowd murmuring as they agreed. So she pressed her lips together, staring out at the crowd, even to the impatient and hesitant guards who glared at her, keeping their weapons at the ready. Yes.. she had to continue, and to keep the peace in her tone, in her methods, lest she fall pray to the vicious beasts she spoke against... And to show others that there were those willing to speak up, to carry a voice now; even as Connlaoth was rolling into it's darkest hours.

"In the North there are mage camps, who, for all we know, speaks unknown volumes of cruelty. The mage population, those born with magic, are being punished for it when it is not their fault. Before, it had seemed ridiculous, yes, that there be such fear against a people who were just naturally born with other elements, yet here we stand today, with laws becoming as radical as the man leading us. How is it right to cast judgement and tear families apart? It is not the nobility that makes up Connlaoth, but the people who are it's true blood. You are who make Connlaoth great, and without you, it's people, it's wonderful, beautiful people....it would crumble."

The guards grew uneasy as this, gesturing to one another and calling in back ups as the crowd grew louder, but it hushed down, awaiting in bated breath for Katahnia to continued to speak

"Like the delicate threads of a spider's web, we are all woven so tightly into this nation, let us not let the winds of injustice break us apart. And that is why I am here today. You all heard me spoke, and in turn, spoke back. I have listened, and am now rising to speak to you all in hopes my voices finally reaches the ears of our new Grand Duke." She turned to eye the palace behind her, a gentle wind carrying through and fluttering within her golden hair. Then she turned back, staring back at the people who looked at her with hope filled eyes as she drew in a careful breath.
"So, all I ask for you today is to lend me your ears, give me your attention and support me as I ask, yet again, that the Grand Duke step forward, to renounce the laws and to stave off his attacks. If not all at once, but at least one piece at a time."

"What good does it do for us knowing you are slaughtering our own people!?" she spoke, talking towards the high walls boarding the palace. "What good does it do for your people to fight fire with fire? You burn us, and tear families apart, yet proclaim it is Angsar's way." Shaking her head, she grew silent, then turned back towards the crowd.

"Nations are born on blood and family, and this nation is no different. A war was erected years ago, on a God most of you are familiar. But I am not here to give a history lesson, but to let you all know that I feel for you, and I Know the agony you all suffer, and an agony some may have been suffering with far long before this nation has begun to turn into a blood bath. Let us put those differences aside, let the laws fall back to where they once were, and stop this unnecessary blood shed now!"

And the crowd, having been silent , now roared with life, applauding the woman before them and a swell of pride, not only from them, but from the woman herself, could be felt within the air, andthe guards now encircling the group, began to look to one another, then up towards the palace to see if there would be any word from their leader, for no doubt he had been listening as they could all see his shadow looming in the large window in the front of the palace.

And indeed, Grand Duke Calent heard every word. He set his jaw, then stepped away from the window to glance back towards Emery and Zannrick, who remained on guard, before the door of his room.

"Do you hear them?" he said, his eyes becoming cold. "Do you hear those fools believing what that woman feeds them?"

Zannrick nodded, "Yes, and ever since her last speech in Uthlyn, the people have been waiting for her to speak now. She must have spies or associates, for you have only been home for barely a few hours and here she is." Zannrick sneered.

"Yes.." Calent went on, dragging a hand down his face as he sighed. "And to think, we should have weeded the capital out of people like her long ago." He shook his head, growing silent before looking up at the pair. "And I know your numbers are wearing thin. As is the number in the army. We'll have to force recruits come the fall. With all of this unrest, there has been more blood shed than anticipated."

Zannrick nodded. "Yes, I understand. War is a cruel thing."

"War?" Calent sneered at the word. "It would not be a war if the mages knew their place. Do they not realize how dangerous they are? THough perhaps it is in their own delusion they fight back, thinking they are honorable when they are but snakes."

Zannrick agreed, and made a salute towards Calent before bowing his head. "Yes, that is why the peasants do not rule such a nation."

And Calent agreed, but remained silent, looking from Emery to Zannrick, back to Emery again.
"I .. have a woman coming here to meet with us. Someone who... through this event, I think, shall be able to prove herself worthy of joining the pair of you as my elite."

Zannirck raised his head, staring back at Calent.
"Sir?"
But then a knock at the door had him turning away, as he side stepped to allow Vesrik, Calent's visor, step into the room.

The man had a hawk like nose, beady, recessed eyes and enough fat rolls to hide his neck, which were, thanks to Angsar, hidden behind a high collar of his suit that flared out and was decorated with a few tufted peacock feathers. The man tossed back the purple cape of his attire, ignoring both Zannricka nd Emery as he stepped in and gave a red-faced huff.

"My Lord, the woman mordecai, Kasna Vel Telshear, is here and ready to see you," Vesrik announced, smoothing his sweaty, fat fingers down his velvet doublet before finally turning his nose towards Zannrick, then towards Emery. He then glanced back towards Calent. "Shall I bring her in?"

Calent went quiet a moment, before nodding.
"Yes, bring her in."

"Right," Vesrik nodded, looking to the other mordecai again before slipping outside of the room. He had to climb a lot of stairs today,a nd it made him wretchedly irritable, so when he approached Kasna from where he had instructed her to wait inside the hall, he simply gave an impatient wave for her to come join him now.

"The Grand Duke will see you now.." and he released a hot breath, hearing the crowd roaring outside. No doubt that she-devil they labeled as 'Lady of the Revolution' was fueling the common people with more doubt. This had to be stopped, and he hoped this lady, this Kasna, could help start a revolution of her own.

Mages had to be stopped at any cost,a nd their existence, snuffed out like the filthy rats on the street. So he opened the door, and inside, the Grand Duke remained poised, chin held high, shoulders not squared as he waited for her to come in.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nascent

For easily the first time in many, many years, Kasna felt a twinge of hesitation flash through her mind as she was ushered into the grand chamber. This was, after all, the Grand Duke himself, Lord and Steward of Connlaoth by the grace of Angsar, the highest authority in her word -- leader not only of Connlaoth itself but the very man to whom the Order of the White Lily swore fealty. The first step through those mighty doors -- so much in design like the entry into the palace, remade in miniature -- was slow and tenuous. The ones that followed it came easier, but she could not help but feel a... weight in the air around her.

This, Kasna thought quietly, must be what it was like to tread upon holy ground.

The chamber itself held the dignity of it's importance, bearing all the hallmarks of Connlaothian design and elegance without being a frivolous show of pomp and grandeur like she imagined its Serenian or Essyrini counterparts. The air hung with the smoky scent of incense, giving it a palatable tang with each breath, of which she could not help but be acutely aware. And there, as if standing in the midst of a shrine dedicated to his very person and attended by his 'priests', was the man himself.

"Grand Duke Calent Allarrick." Her voice was low when she spoke the name, at barely a breath's volume. Even for a Knight of the White Lily, to stand in the Grand Duke's presence was a rare honor -- to be summoned by name into his presence or specific service, rarer still. Kasna was acutely aware of the special nature of her situation, and it showed in her normally-unshakeable demeanor, just slightly. To her, Grand Duke Allarrick was more than just the head of the nation; he was to her a moral hero, having the backbone and personal conviction, as she did, to show no tolerance to the plague that magic was upon the people of Connlaoth and, unlike so many of his predecessors, to act upon that vital conviction. Why, indeed, had Angsar given unto Connlaoth alone the Mordecai and Adhara, if not to cast judgement upon the mage-born? To end, at last, the plague of their corruption and be an example to all other lands of true faith and true purity? To Kasna, Calent was a savior come at a foretold hour.

And he had called to her. How could she not answer?

Five steps in she dropped to one knee, armor plates clattering slightly with the suddenness of the motion. Her gaze cast the the floor, she very slowly drew her sword and held it out to him in open hands, a sign of reverence and deference.

"By your summons I have come, my Grand Duke." Kasna spoke. "How may I serve?"

visualspice

When the doors opened and the woman stepped in, the Grand Duke raised his gaze, those green eyes never leaving her, even as she dropped to one knee and bowed. He was quiet a moment after she spoke, then informed her, "You are here, as I'm sure my visor, Vesrik, has informed you, on a very personal and private matter. As it is known, all mordecai are supporters and famed champions of Angsar, to do his bidding through their powers to nullify the despicable magics of the tainted. And as you know, with the travesty of the former Grand Duke's death, I find myself needing to reign now  with an iron fist. The new laws demand all mages be quelled, swept away and kept, confined beneath the orders and powers of the mordecai. And it has been a trying few years as we attempt to... eliminate the problem. The mage camps it he north and the primary cities of Connlaoth are using quite a number of resources of the mordecai; and I find my own personal supply of body guards and soldiers wearing thin as this transition is not going as smoothly as we would like. Though it was not wholly unanticipated."

Turning to Zannrick and Emery, he made a gesture towards them with a gloved hand.
"Before you stand my two elite and personal body guards and mordecai. They have been with me since the beginning. They have shown me dedication and support like no other. They would risk everything for the cause."
Slowly, he turned on his heel to look back towards Kasna, that of whom he did not gesture quite yet for her to rise from her kneeled position. "I'm hoping that someday, I might be able to say the same about you."

"I.. have heard much about you," he began, and turned to Vesrik. "My visor has reported to me of your ventures and deeds since my rise into power. I believe you have what it takes to join my elite guardsman. So I brought you here to day to discuss this matter."

Vesirk gave a grin, though it was half marred by the light shining in through the windows, and made his face appear ghastly, much like his personality.

"Should you accept, the ceremony will be brief, with just those of us here to witness it, for the matter at hand is a trying one.." The visor went on to finish Calent's thought. And no sooner had he spoke did the voices in the crowd outside grow restless. "I'm sure you can hear the problem already."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nascent

"Indeed, my Grand Duke." Kasna replied, focusing for the moment on the very issue she had apparently been called upon to address. She knew exactly what he meant; she'd been forced to move through that throng of miserable wretches to enter the palace and it had taken no small measure of self control for her not to bust open a few skulls on her way in.

"They're vile, treasonous miscreants, each and every one guilty of sedition and heresy -- none more-so than the woman who leads them. Here are you, trying to save our nation from the taint of unholy powers..." She clenched her jaw as a moment of rage took her. "And these ungrateful people have the gall to challenge you!"

She paused for a moment, collecting herself. "If it is your will that I confront these... seditionists... I will gladly obey. Simply tell me what it is you wish done."

A place amongst the Grand Duke's elite and trusted -- and a chance to confront elements of the rebellion directly. Kasna briefly mused on whether or not it was her birthday in a rare moment of mirth. This was everything she had ever wanted... she would follow it through, no matter what the Grand Duke asked of her.

visualspice

"My orders now are that you work with Sir Zannrick and Lady Emery to rid the palace yards of these pests... primarily the woman speaking." It was the Grand Duke speaking this time, and he moved aside as Zannrick's cool blue eyes met to Kasna's gaze.

"You will be under our authority. I shall report back to the Grand Duke the full details once our mission is complete," Zannrick stated.

"And how you react today will dictate your position here, if any at all," Vesrik reminded, for she still had to prove herself under direct orders from the Grand DUke himself before he knew Calent would accept fresh blood.

"Come, there is not much time." Zannrick gestured for her to follow as he stepped outside the door. Even int he hallways the roar of the crowd could be heard. His lips sagged into a frown.
"I hope your sword is sharp, as is your wit. We'll have to be clever. If we can play it off she's a mage, something that has been debated since her sudden appearance in the towns, we'll be better off and it'll be easier to shake the masses. I'd hate to have to turn this into a blood bath." And he gave the pair a cold stare, before leading down through a secret passage that spiraled all the way down and lead them out into the stables.

"We'll need to devise a plan," and he looked to Emery, curious if she had anything in mind.

Nascent

As she was bidden Kasna followed Zannrick down the spiraling passage, watching her steps on the narrow stairs. "If it's a plan you require, setting her up as a criminal truly wouldn't be that difficult." Kasna suggested. Setting the woman up as a mage was a tempting notion -- and fitting, in her mind, that anyone who supported mages share in their fate -- but in a crowd of mage supporters that notion alone wouldn't carry sufficient weight. This 'lady of the revolution' needed to have her sterling reputation dragged through the mud in the most believable manner possible, something to discredit her in the eyes of her followers... and, ideally, reinforce the moral bankruptcy of magic use to the public in general.

"Here she stands on the very doorstep of the Grand Duke, in front of a crowd of supporters -- a fitting place for her reputation to be forever tarnished and the seeds of doubt sown into those who would carry her banner." Kasna was being a bit grandiose but she quickly got down to the substance of her proposal. "We need only claim that a plot against the palace has been uncovered. It could be anything -- an attempt to rob the treasury, bribe the kitchen staff, steal important documents -- so long as we can claim magic was used to attempt the deed. My arrival works in our favor; many of those outside saw me arrive, after all. It would be expedient to claim I came bearing some critical message or piece of evidence that not only links the plot to that dissident woman but proves her a faithless mage and enemy of the people. Material evidence can be fabricated after the fact, and the crowd itself serves to make it seem she wanted a large-scale distraction during the time of her dirty work."

"We need only make such claims -- not prove them, after all -- to justify apprehending her." It was clear from her voice that Kasna was at least slightly enjoying this plotting against the insurrectionists, and from her words that -- contrary to public opinion -- this Knight of the White Lily was no saint so far as naivete went. "And if she resists or runs, it becomes our duty to pursue her. Simple and clean. Do you approve?"

visualspice

When it was Kasna that spoke up, Zannrick lifted his cold, blue eyes to her.
"So what would you suggest be our first step?" he was curious to see if, her quickness to participate lent to something more as he opened a door that lead the group to the stables. He debated horses, it would be more official, though paused at the end of the path. If they went on foot, they could be more discrete, but they wanted to go in and catch the attention of this rallying group and be above them, not at their level. So, he pressed onward, gesturing for the two to follow as he made a motion to an array of prepared, semi-armored masked horses waiting in stalls.

Nascent

Horses, excellent. It seemed they were thinking along similar lines. Zannrick's question hung in the air for only a moment as Kasna formulated an opening gambit.

"Theatricality is a powerful weapon, sir Zannrick. If we are to sell our story to the masses, we must do more than speak."

Her next words were spoken with a cold, confident monotone. "Draw your blade and wound me, sir Zannrick. And strike my face as well. A little shed blood, a few signs of a struggle -- that should be all we need. When we ride out the people will see a holy knight marred by battle, at the side of the Grand Duke's elite." Kasna took her azure cape in hand and began tearing at the fabric in a long, ragged gash; when that was done she did likewise to her skirt, fraying the edges in such a way that it almost looked as though they'd been torn up by a blade.

"From there, a simple pronouncement of the woman's guilt in a conspiracy against the Grand Duke will make the crowd uncertain, their unity and confidence wavering. We charge her with treason and demand her surrender. Your voice, I believe, would be the most authoritative to make these claims, sir. The people may be willing to support a mage defender, but will think twice about throwing their lot in with a brazen criminal."

Having given him her idea for a first step, Kasna stood there ready... either to receive his reproach, his command, or his blade. If Zannrick did as she'd suggested she wouldn't so much as flinch -- this she swore in her heart and soul.

To do this for Grand Duke Calent was a small sacrifice for a much, much greater good. And one she would happily make.

visualspice

Zannrick turned around from the horses and his blue eyes went icy as she spoke, but were soon brewing with fire. She had a point, and as he listened to the roar of the crowd, they'd need to have something clever to win the woman's supporters over; so before anyone could protest, Zannrick lowered his sword...

Then socked Kasna clean across the face. He smirked.

"Come at me and let's make this look like a real struggle, Come on!" he baited, and with a laugh, he continued, "And I'll be sure to report this good idea and willingness to the Grand Duke himself. He likes having his men, or.. in your case.." his eyes flickered up and down her form, "His ladies, already broken in and selfless to the cause. You'll belong to the Grand Duke now, so whatever happens from this moment forward," he began, a wind catching through his white hair. "Could possibly dictate the future of all of Connlaoth. These people are hungry for something, and this woman claims to be their hope." His grin grew wicked. "Let's give them a reason for that faith in her to be shattered and renew their respects for their country; for this Grand Nation of Connlaoth."
And he readied his blade, and waited for her to raise her own.

"For Connlaoth, for Angsar.... and for the Grand Duke himself."

Nascent

"I belonged to Grand Duke Calent long before this day."

She'd been prepared for him to strike her... but goading her into an actual fight, that gave her pause. Sir Zannrick was, after all, her Grand Duke's chief retainer as well as being part of his inner circle. Though they had only just met, Kasna bore respect for the man -- if Grand Duke Calent saw him as worthy and valuable, how could she do otherwise? And this was her plan, after all... though not exactly as she'd imagined it.

Her face turning towards him after the strike, a thin trickle of blood running down her lip, the Adhara looked at the Mordecai... and slowly nodded.

"As you command."

Kasna drew her sword, leaving the chain-flail wrapped around her waist, and assumed a ready position. Her eyes locked with Zannrick's -- there was an emotion there, though it was restrained and hard to decipher. She raised her blade to a position of respect, as though this was a formal duel. An Adhara and a Mordecai 'dueling' in a stable while mages and their supporters rallied outside the Grand Duke's palace... the tacit absurdity of the scene wasn't lost on her, though neither was the purpose it served. She wanted to ask what purpose both of them being battle-marked served, what his angle was, but held herself in check. Sir Zannrick doubtlessly had his reasons, and he was here as her immediate superior by mandate of Gand Duke Calent. She would keep her curiosity and uncertainty to herself until the more pressing matter at hand was dealt with.

"For Connlaoth!"

With those words it began. Not wanting to do actual damage Kasna brought her blade down within easy parrying range, wanting both to get a feel for how he fought and give him the opportunity to strike. Her swing was restrained though her grip was firm -- no weapon in her hands would do him harm unless he ordered it. Still, some part of her wondered which of them was the better... a part that would sit quietly and watch this half-mock battle from the sidelines. If all he demanded of her was effort and injury she would comply -- if it was skill and earnest combat he desired, that was another matter altogether.

For Connlaoth. For Grand Duke Calent. And for the death of every single apostate mage. For these things, Kasna would do anything.

visualspice

The idea of harming an opponent without weapon went against many codes, and though he knew she'd hold back, it would give his mind some semblance of peace as the pair tested one another, blade for blade, but the crowd was growing restless, and Zannrick, more agitated as his swings came suddenly with more force and ferocity than before, aiming for any slack in her arms to get her to drop her weapon so they could be through with this, but even he could see she was no novice... But Zannrick had been bred for this, and he had no room for fault in his strides.

But another roar on the crowd drove him over the edge, and this time his swing was aimed to make her drop that damn blade for good.

Nascent

Blades rang, one against another, the sheer trill of sharpened steel piercing the air and at times seeming to almost drown out the voices of the masses just beyond. Almost... but not quite. As the two danced their martial waltz of strokes, swings, parries, and deflections their actions grew more earnest, their minds more focused upon the business near at hand. Zannrick's blade left a dozen or more cuts on the White Lily Knight as they clashed, each not merely allowed but embraced. He was becoming more and more forceful, his strength battering hers relentlessly. Part of her chaffed as she realized his intent -- his moves were becoming less and less about causing injury and increasingly more focused on disarming her. Kasna's pride was being chocked back as she tried to accept what she must do... for in all her years of training she had always strove to never, ever be parted from her weapon.

Biting down hard on her lower lip -- enough to draw blood -- the woman warrior took her stance... and loosened her grip. Zannrick's sword batted hers aside and it clattered to the ground. Kasna's eyes followed it, silently solemn, as though speaking wordless apologies to a dear friend.

Slowly, her gaze traveled to her injuries and tattered battle-rainment, then turned back up to meet the gaze of her 'sparring partner'. There was a cold moment of silence, her expression completely void.

"Thank you. This should do." Kasna spoke at last.

visualspice

Zannrick with drew his blade, sheathing it his side as his eyes harden upon her and he offers out a hand to help her to her feet.
"Then come, to the horses, and we ride out into the streets."

With one boot in the stirrups, he was quickly mounting his white steed's saddle and turned and waited for Kasna to follow suit, before pressing his boots harshly into his horse's side before he took off into the streets. He gestured and shouted the order for the alarm bells to ring and the gates to be opened. His horse's hooves tore down the street, carrying him heavily, quickly towards the masses of men and women gathering just before the palace, but instead of joining them, he gave a sharp turn and directed his horse towards where the woman speaking was perched at the top of the steps-

and the moment the mordecai appeared on the scene, the crowd let out a unified gasp befre watching in fallen silence as Zannrick's white horse galloped up the steps, pausing just at the landing where Lady Katahnia Harmond now stood. She was still speaking, even over the quietness, but paused a moment, keeping her lips pressed together as she realized just who was behind her- and why.

Turning from the crowd, she peered up at Zannrick who scowled down at her with such ferocity, he looked like an animal. Drawing his blade, he pointed it at her face.

"You, speaker against these men!" he said, pointing his blade from her face, towards the crowd, then promptly back to her again. "Though you speak of peace out here to these masses, you are a coward in your own right. For these people cna not see the way you work it he dark, and before arriving here to give your innocent speech," Zannrick said, spitting out the words on a hardened tongue. "You attacked one of the Grand Duke's most elite! And she feels the truth behind your words woman. The Grand Duke has heard enough. Actions speak louder than words-"

"What?" Katahnia was taken back, taking one step back from Zannrick as she looked from him, then over at his bleeding companion.

"For your guilt, you will not hang here in the streets, but be taken out of this country for treason, to no longer taint these good people with your words!"

And the masses suddenly began to roar, voices growing louder- not certain what to make of this- Was it truth?T he woman preaching of peace had, herself, gone out of her way to strike the Grand Duke's men?

"But it's a lie- I had never done such a thing!" she tried to protest, but her words were swallowed against the roars of the masses as she continued to back away, Zannrick's blade still pointed towards her head.

"Then you deny it?" Zannrick's eyes turned to ice. "Then we will hunt you down and make you an example, wench." And before Katahnia knew what was going on, Zannrick and his horse charged her way- and the woman did something stupid, seh threw herself out over the ledge in order to escape being run over-
Though what might have surprised them next was how quickly she was able to avoid death. For as she fell, she clutched onto a nearby flag,a nd slid down to safety on it's velvet length. And once hse had landed back down into the crowd, Zannrick redirected his horse to catch a glimpse of where she landed and he felt his blood begin to boil.

"AFTER HER! CEASE AND ARREST HER!" his orders came out, his sword to the air. "DO NO LET HER ESCAPE THE CITY! CLOSE THE GATES!"

And as Katahnia began to push her way desperately through the masses, she watched in horror as each wall around the city's palace began to close, the heavy noise echoing loudly, even over the growing hysteria in the masses surrounding the place.

Nascent

And so it played out, more or less exactly as Kasna had pictured. The crowd was in disarray, their unity of mind and presence broken. Zannrick's pronouncement, in tandem with the White Lily Knight's bloody disarray, had had its desired effect in full.

And the mage lover was running. That alone gave Kasna, normally stoic, a slight grin.

She had dismounted before Zannrick and made her way onto the steps on foot -- now that proved to her advantage, as she was already positioned to give chase. Katahnia's slick mauneuver with the flag would give her a head start, with certainty... but Kasna was not to be outdone. "One side, ALL of you!" was the only warning most of those in the crowd got before the mage hunter charged into the throng of bodies, her armored frame crashing against one after another and forcing them aside through sheer physical prevalency.

She was not letting Katahnia get away. Zannrick had the honor of defaming her before the assembled citizenry... but hers would be the honor of capture.

"SURRENDER YOURSELF!" Kasna shouted, virtually a scream. Her pursuit was knocking people left and right like bowling pins; if she'd had her shield with her she would have just forged a straight line through any bystanders instead of bothering even to push them aside. "IN THE NAME OF THE GRAND DUKE, SURRENDER NOW!!"

visualspice

Desperation only ceased her in the moment, her heart hammering within her chest as she peered back towards where the flags were blowing across the landing steps that rose at the base of the grand palace before her. Her eyes widened to hear the shouts of Zannrick to close the gates, and the hysteria that followed. But her pause was short lived as she turned to witness the battered white lily coming her way.

Gasping, she turned heel and ran, pushing her way through the masses with quickness and force.
"Move! Please move!"s he begged, winding and twisting her way through men. It was chaos, all of it, and here she was, trying to swim through it's sea.

Desperation and the will to survive egged her onward, even as her legs felt like lead as she ran, and the moment she was able to push through the crowd she was dashing off at full speed down a street, but at the end of it, a city guard lifted his spear and commanded her while on horse back.

"Criminal, HALT!"

Her green eyes widened as fear gripped her and halting in her tracks, her eyes flicked around the area until she noted the tight alley way to her left. Darting into to, she found herself squeezing her way through. She had to stand and run nearly side ways, but run she did, and pushed through the small confines seemed her only source of hope, and she paused at the end of the way, heart beating rapidly and her chest rising and falling quick with breath.

She paused for only one moment to see if any had made chase, but hearing the guards call and giving away her location made Katahnia turn the other way to run. Scrambling down this street then the next, she was growing desperate in which way to go. She had to get out of here, and she had to do it fast- lest the noose find her neck, or worse. They cut her down right here.

Panic kept her boots slamming against the roads and he heart was drumming inside her ear. This was madness! She wanted to speak of peace and here she was, fleeing for her life because of false claims. SHe should have known better, but she knew in her heart her methods were right. Why did she have to be so civil? Why did she wish to win peace with peace? It failed when her parents tried, and her duchy had fallen for it. What would make now any different?

But there was hope, there was always hope, and she reminded herself that as she ran.

Nascent

This one was slippery, Kasna observed as her prey fled, first down a street and then into an alleyway. The White Lily knight had managed to keep Katahnia in sight up until that point, but now faced a fresh and not entirely unexpected problem in tracking her quarry. Rats always went for holes and burrows -- criminals fled into alleys and dark places, thinking themselves safe in an environment that narrowed pursuit and was generally unpopulated. It was a decent strategy... IF it worked.

But narrow spaces were good for other things, too.

"Sound the alert -- cordon off the area and establish patrols." Kasna instructed, nearly at a shout, as she approached the guard. "Get guards on every street and archers on the rooftops. That woman has commited crimes against the land and its sovereign and must not be allowed to escape. Do this with haste!"

"At once!" The guard obeyed, turning his horse around and grabbing for his signal horn. The city guard were a peacekeeping force -- they had the arms and armaments of a light military but their chief usefulness wasn't so much in straight force of arms but coordinated numbers. Every guard in the city had to be on notice by now, alerted to the possibility of a riot at this 'peaceful' demonstration -- now Kasna would galvanize that force, release it like a tightly-wound spring, and set the wheels of an all-out manhunt in motion. Sir Zannrick had already begun to close off escape routes when he'd ordered the gates closed, giving the mage-lover no easy way beyond the walls. Likely he was already coordinating a response as well. Now it was time to steadily close in, dim her hopes of ever seeing freedom again one street at a time. In any chase the initial stage -- racing after your target in a linear fashion -- had a decent chance for failure, a fact that Kasna knew. It was the 'after-chase' that truly made a difference, giving her the chance to rally resources and make a second, far more calculated approach to the problem.

Still, she wanted to be the one to bring Katahnia in.

Finding a nearby building that looked scalable, Kasna began to climb. For an ordinary person attempting to climb a building in partial platemail would have been difficult, if not impossible or absurd. But Kasna had spent almost her entire adult life in this suit of armor and it was to her like a second skin, its weight and heft as familiar as if she'd been born with it. It rattled somewhat, her sword and chain-flail more-so, but she was unbothered and undeterred. Duty drove her onward and years of training made her more than able to press on. In little enough time indeed she was up onto a lower roof, leaping off of it onto one slightly higher, doing her best to keep moving in the direction Katahnia had last been going. A part of her mind began to track the spaces between buildings, not just for jumping across but as routes that the criminal could've fled down. She would be looking for somewhere isolated and quiet -- survival reflex would encourage her towards a spot that seemed far from pursuit and had a minimum of entrances and exits.

Kasna would find her. She was determined to find her.

visualspice

Both Matron rivers filled the lake in Matron's Hallow- which also housed the capital and the Grand Duke's palace. The lake practically over looked it's back yard, and the two rivers- flanking the city. It was here Katahnia found herself running to and needing to stop as she gripped onto her side as a pang of pain cramped her side. But hearing the alarms, the barking of dogs echoing through the city made her eyes sparkle with tears.

Was there any way out of this? Was this how she was goign to die? To get cornered in the city where she had so diligently preached her side in peace?

Perhaps it was fate- perhaps that was what she was meant for as she hesitated, then began to scramble across the bridge towards the city gate- but that's when two men spotted her.

"You there! HALT!"

Panicked, she turned back the other way- not realizing there was a shadow looming over head.