Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Town of Northoak

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, September 17, 2013, 03:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

The town of Northoak:

___History___
The town of Northoak is relatively new compared to some of the other settlements in the Western Highlands of Serendipity. Founded only a few generations ago by the family of Ferod Strong-Ax, the town became known in the immediate area as a reliable source of lumber. As time went on, several other families moved in, adding to the lumber town a smithy, an inn, and a general goods store. As of the present day, the population of the town has reached just over 60, a healthy size considering it was founded only three generations ago.

___Local Area___
Being in the northern part of the Highlands, Northoak is surrounded by a small forest, which primarily consists of pine and birch, ironically enough, with only ONE oak tree at the center of the grove. There is a small road that bisects the town, and is the only known way to get to and from the town if one doesn't go through the forest, or the valley just to the southwest, which is inhabited by a newly formed dragon colony. To the direct east from the settlement lies a small stream which is utilized to power the lumber mill, which is the primary source of income for the village. Strangely, though, it seems to be drying up, causing the residents to find other means of income until the stream starts flowing again.

The eerie Dustman's Barrow, which is right across the river, is said to be home to the tomb of an ancient king and his treasure. Other points of interest include The Lone Oak, the only oak tree in the forest, and a small dwarven ruin to the north called Narzac-elud, which no one has had the guts to explore yet because of the rumors surrounding the site.

___Notable Residents___
Every town has a few notable individuals among their ranks, and Northoak is no exception! The current "mayor", Ferod Strong-Ax is obviously one of the most notable, but there are others, as well. One is Shamus McNamara, a lumber mill worker who is known for telling larger than life stories, and also noted to have a bit of a peeve with beavers. The blacksmith, Rorik, is also worth noting, mainly because he is a master at his trade, but also because of his controversial decision to take on a gryphon as his apprentice. However, as time went on, nobody seemed to dispute or argue against the decision, and the town has grown to accept it, although they are a bit wary of the fire demon the gryphon calls his "friend".

Several residents worth noting are Duncan Kallop, the town cook, who is known to make a meal out of almost any ingredient. The Northoak Trader, the only general goods store in town, is run by a happily married couple, Ra's and his wife, Niruity. Yuha Ashcroft is worth mentioning for her skills as a cooper, bowyer and woodworker.

___We need new people!___
Although the town is of substantial size, newcomers are welcomed, and even wanted! Please, join, and if you do decide to move a character, I will update the notable residents section accordingly! (Note: I will not add gods, demon lords, or anything relating to their worship to this town, PERIOD! This is just to be fair and so that we don't have any sort of conflicts.)

Tak

... Arkie Meedeez might live here. Actually, he will. and can Defteroi have a shrine here? no biggy.

Klezmer Gryphon

There is will not be a shrine to Defteroi, simply because the people aren't very religious. This isn't to shoot down the idea, but more because I don't want people asking me "oh, he got a shrine for his god, but why can't there be a shrine to MY god character?"

Tak

As I said, no biggy. It doesn't really matter, not very religious? fine. but Arkie might live there.

Klezmer Gryphon

Well, I'm not saying no to the idea of Arkie living there, but I will ask a few things. What good would it do for him to live out in the boondocks, away from major centers of art and learning? Also, this is a town of hardy frontiersmen. They don't take too kindly to people who suck up resources and don't give anything back to the community. Think practical trades, like miner, lumber mill worker, blacksmith, hell, even a cook. Those are the kind of characters Im looking for.

Tak

I'll let you list the things Arkie invented and think how that could help hard-working men. Then you can answer that yourself. He wants to help, and as we know, Archimedes didn't get help from anybody (except his father the Astronomer). It's a good location.

If you didn't get what I was saying, Arkies inventions will boost everything.

Imaginary

Arthanakos isn't the type to settle down somewhere, but it is out of the way enough for him to have a cabin he can retreat to occasionally to hide from his enemies and find general peace of mind.

Could he have a house here? He's the type to stay out of everyone's way. The quiet hermit up the hill type.

Klezmer Gryphon

PM me and we can talk about. As a rule of thumb, I generally don't like immortal characters or gods as a "permanent resident", so to say, but I think we could work something out.

Brisinger987

Ra's and Niruity (happily married couple) would love to run the Northoak Trader.

Klezmer Gryphon

Added them to the Notable Residents section.

Klezmer Gryphon

Über-bump.... COME ON PEOPLE!

Wicked Basket

I have an idea for a cyclops blacksmith/weaponsmith. Is that something you would be interested in?

Klezmer Gryphon

Well, there's already a town blacksmith (an NPC character), so while it is an interesting idea, it just wouldn't make much sense to have two blacksmiths in town. I would love to hear some other ideas, though, so keep 'em comin'.

Klezmer Gryphon

Klezmer Gryphon

Bump..... Please make some characters or suggest something for a big plot?

Ethereal-Star

Hola. I have a couple things I could chip in with.

First off, a graveyard plot of some kind. It would be fairly small though, and with a graveyard caretaker to maintain the property too. The character I would make myself but don't know much about him at this point other than his occupation as a cemetery plot caretaker, the fact that he is the type to stay out of everyone's way but do his job efficiently. The job would include general upkeep of the place, cutting down excess weeds and grasses that may cover the tombstones, etc. as well as if anyone actually dies he would be the one to contact to see to their burial and such. And any other duties that pertain to this, which I'll need to research some. His name atm is undecided, however he would be a old aged man in his late 60's with greying hair and a quiet disposition. His house would have to be located near or behind the actual graveyard. If nearby, the grave site itself would be an open area where anyone could come to pay their respects to the dead with his small modest home situated nearby. Or it could go something like this: the graveyard is surrounded by a low stone or brick (or whatever other material) wall with an opening in the front to allow visitors through. The property would be divided by a sturdy fence with a double gate, behind which the graveyard keeper would live with an adequate small yard of his own. He would pass thru the gate/fence to which he would have the key to (as well as a spare key) to get to the actual graveyard to do his job there. His home being blocked off by the low wall and the fence with the gate being in the center of the area, and the opening to the place in front of it several feet away. Make sense? So in other words, the actual cemetery is open ground for the townsfolk with his home located behind it, separated by a fence. As for the materials of the fence, gate and wall that depends entirely on what resources the town has available to them. Whether stone, brick, mortar, etc. I can create the character if you okay this. Plus I have a thread in the relevant subforum where I even mention this graveyard, albeit a brief mention. The thread itself is called "Paying Her Respects" and features my character Adelaide who used to live there with her family.

Which brings up my second point. Deceased/former residents of Northoak. Would they be considered important to you being that they're no longer active residents? Adelaide's family is deceased (parents and uncle) while Adelaide herself is a traveler and has since moved on to other places. She does come back occasionally to visit the grave site. So, they're not actual current residents. Just thought I'd mention that.

One last thing is do the people in this town have any kind of superstitions or odd beliefs? Someone had mentioned it though but the description doesn't tell me anything. I would think the dwarven ruins might have some stories regarding it, as well as the Lone Oak too that is in the area.

Let me know on all the above, thanks. 

Tags: