Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vanilla Pecan Candies

Started by visualspice, November 12, 2013, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Braxton too was interested in knowing how many places Cherie was really going to list off.Amused, he doubted that she'd get very far and so he listened to her prattle away. However, as the list dragged on he wrinkled his nose. No way. Was she really going to come up with a hundred?

Well, this was Cherie...so why should he have been surprised? She'd probably been thinking of all hundred places ever since she'd arrived here to keep herself sane.

Stupid shark boy! He just had to distract her and ask questions!

"Cherie! We gotta find Janette!"

It was dark on the veranda and Braxton could barely make out the two figures standing close together. One of them was about Janette sized and it didn't occur to him that more than one person at the party might have been dressed as a snake. He grabbed the giant snake's shoulder, " Alright, young lady. You're coming with me."

"I beg your pardon? What are you? Drunk?" A voice that definitely wasn't Janette's snapped indignantly. "Unhand me this instant, sir!"

Shit! Braxton let go as he was told, "Sorry. I thought you were...someone else. "

"How the hell could mistake me for a lady!?" The snake man demanded.

Braxton laughed, "It's dark. You mean you haven't noticed a girl your height that's wearing a snake getup? "

"No, now leave me be!"

Seriously, how could people not notice?

He whirled around to glare at Ewan. This was clearly shark-boy's fault! "You said you saw her, shark-boy!"

Vincent

Ewan also had not anticipated that Cherie to cite such an impressive list of locations that she'd rather visit than the Grand Duke's Palace.  He smiled politely and nodded each time she named a location.He considered assuring her that she didn't have to actually list everything if she didn't want to but she seemed quite determined to prove that she really could think of a hundred other places to be and so he dare not interrupt her while she seemed to be on quite a roll. She faltered a few times and her expressions and odd gestures , he found to be a little endearing.   

He looked up when Braxton reminded her about Janette. He gasped when the rowdy man approached a figure that was taller than even he was and called them a Lady. Ewan couldn't say that he blamed the poor man for being offended at all. He blushed when Braxton turned on him and accused him of leading him falsely. "Pardon , but my name is not shark-boy; it's Ewan. And,  you have my apologies ,but I did tell you that I saw a snake . I never said I was confident that the snake was a lady.  But, I must inquire if your sister is really a giant. Is that even possible? "

Ivory

"Oh," Cherie blinked in response to the interruption, tilting her head ever-so-slightly to the side.  "Right."  Janette.  How easy it was to forget what they were meant to be doing -- they weren't making much progress, after all!

She watched, amused, as Braxton tried to apprehend a snake, only to have the chance of it be their target slither away when the man spoke.  Definitely not Janette.  Although, she thought with a quiet laugh to herself.  That was a pretty good pun.  Perhaps, she should share...

Before she could think to open her mouth to share her little joke, she snapped back to the veranda and the situation unfolding between her brother and the shark.  She, of course, failed to be intimidated by her older brother's attitude and glare.  Brax could do worse.  Their new friend didn't know that, but he had yet to run away.  He was proving to be a real trooper!

"Ewan, huh?  Nice to meet you.  I'm glad our shark finally has a name!"  Of course, the polite thing to do would be to formally introduce themselves; instead, Cherie added helpfully, "He did say that.  Remember?"

Paradox

Damn it! The kid was right.

Stupid , smarty-pants Ewan-shark-boy!

Braxton's lips fell open and his mind stalled for a few moments as his mind searched desperately for a reason to turn this around and still blame the kid. Shit. He couldn't.  "I know it's hard to believe even for me, but yes, Janette is even taller than you are. Now I have to ask what kind of name is Ewe-ann, anyway?"

(( So mature and on task. xD))

Vincent

Ewan's posture stiffened and his frown deepened at the dreadful sound of his name being butchered. The young Rodric pushed the droopy fin atop his head back up and pursed his lips, "I-I- it's my name." Ewan offered lamely. What was wrong with his name anyway? "Why? Is there something wrong with it?"

Ivory

Cherie chuckled -- that is, until, Ewan responded.  Even someone of Cherie's distractability could see he didn't find Brax as amusing as Cherie did.  Well, she supposed, Treyburn humor did take some adjusting...  Her smile faded, replaced by a puzzled expression that pulled the corners of her lips downwards.

So, naturally, she decided to step in with the save!  Still barefoot, she stepped up to her taller brother and elbowed him in the side.  It wasn't that hard -- not that Brax would feel it if she really did try to put her full weight into it, probably...

"Brax!  Be nice, or I'll make you find Janette all on your own!"  Although, to be honest, he was doing her the favor more-so than she was helping him.  "If she's not out here, where should we look next?"

Paradox

Poor kid. Brax was impressed that the boy was keeping his temper in spite of his humorless reaction. Most nobles were so easily offended or crabby towards him but Ewan was tolerating it, " I was kidding. Really, Ewan, you shouldn't take everything so seriously. You'll get all wrinkly before you hit my age. "

He winced when Cherie elbowed him. It wasn't the action that made him do it so much as it was what she said, "That's just cruel, little Red.  " He pouted, but then his expression brightened , "Does that mean if I find her that I get all the cookies to myself?"

"Lord Rodric? Are you out there?" Lady MacArthur stepped out onto the veranda.

Braxton gave Cherie a funny look and wrinkled his nose and then glanced over at Ewan.

((lololol....>:D))

Vincent

Ewan was relieved that Cherie intervened then because she was quite right in the assumption that he misunderstood Braxton's humor for a sincere question that poor Ewan had no idea how to answer. He tilted his head, frowning when the older man explained that he was jesting. That was a jest? How odd! Ewan shook his head, "My apologies. I'm not familiar with that sort of unique...humor."

Hearing Lady MacArthur's voice, Ewan froze and adopted an expression of unreserved horror. He immediately hid behind Braxton and Cherie. His eyes wandered over to the edge of the veranda and for a brief moment he contemplated jumping off of it. Instead, he crouched down and attempted to make himself as small as possible, "Ansgar, I never ask for favors but just this night..."

"There you are , Lord Rodric, I thought I'd never find you again! I'm sorry that I left you during that fascinating conversation about donating to orphanages earlier but I was simply famished.  I hope you understand. " Lady MacArthur easily spied Ewan behind the two shorter people that he was trying his best to look small behind. She laughed at him, "What are you doing?"

"Stomach cramps!" Ewan blurted out the first lie that came to mind and then clutched his stomach, "Oh...you might wish to stay away, Lady MacArthur. I don't feel so well."  Ansgar, he thought, please forgive me for lying.

Ooc: You are so cruel, Paradox.

Lady MacArthur is an npc and everyone is free to control her because I have no plans for her.

Ivory

Cherie blinked mutely at the lady's entrance...and, more importantly, their new companion's reaction to her entrance.  She wished she were Janette-sized, suddenly, so that he could hide behind her.  She felt immensely sorry for him, suddenly; she, herself, had managed to prevent being cornered by hiding behind her siblings so far.  Once identified as the Treyburns, people seemed to prefer to leave them alone.

Stomach cramps?  That was the best he could come up with?

Nevertheless, the youngest Treyburn was here to help.  Swinging her shoes before her, a quick arc that provided the woman a mere glimpse of shoes -- and that, really, was about all -- she announced with a straight face, "He's already thrown up on me.  You don't want to be next, do you?"

Paradox

What in the name of Ansgar's balls was Ewan doing? Braxton glanced back over his shoulder at the cowering shark. Yeah. The kid should have come dressed as a sea turtle instead. He sighed and grinned at Cherie's explanation. "Yeah. You shoulda been here to see it. This greenish-yellow muck comes shooting out of his mouth like a cannon. It was all over the floor. I think one of the servants might have also thrown up while having to clean it. It smelled like rotting fruit."

Lady MacArthur took a step back, her face scrunching with revulsion," How awful! I'm so sorry, my Lord. Would you like me to fetch your mother?"

It tickled Brax that she was dumb enough to buy this lame story. "Naw. Your concern is touching and will be noted by the Rodrics, I'm sure, but you run along and enjoy the rest of your evening.  We got him covered , don't we Ewe-Ann? " Braxton smirked.

Lady MacArthur seemed to accept this and left.

Now Braxton turned around  , " Stomach cramps? Lame! You're lucky we were here, really." He crossed his arms, " What's the deal, Ewe-Ann? Why are you hiding from a nice-looking bird like that? "

So the kid's name was Ewan Rodric. Rodric, Rodric. Why was that name so damned familiar?   

Vincent

Only after Lady MacArthur had left did Ewan breathe a sigh of relief and rise to stand. However,  the fact that he had relied on others to help convince that awful woman of his lies only made him feel even guiltier. His stomach twisted in knots; He looked at Cherie and Braxton , his face flushed scarlet with embarrassment, "I am so, so dreadfully sorry. I appreciate your intervention, truly.  I honestly thought that time she left me when I started talking about charities that she'd grown bored of me, "he shook his head," I never suspected that she would return, "but he felt as though he needed to explain himself further because his actions seemed entirely ungentlemanly, "  She and I are not ...compatible. It's not very polite to speak ill of others, but she is not a very a nice person. I'd rather not suffer her company further this evening, but if my parents knew that I'd driven her away on purpose, they'd be livid. "

Ivory

"That is your idea of speaking ill somebody else?" Cherie asked dubiously, deciding he couldn't possibly be serious.  What kind of a strange person was he?  Apparently not the sort accustomed to lying to people...

"I suppose we'd better get you out of here, just in case she really does fetch your mother."  She eyed him a moment, still looking a bit dubious.  "Ma didn't want to come, so we've got the run of the place."  She glanced towards her elder brother, then chose a random direction to walk in.

After all, Janette clearly wasn't out here!

"Maybe we should figure out where they serve the harder liquor and check there for Janette..."

(OOC: I'm letting you pick where they go!  *flail!*)

Paradox

Braxton stared at Ewan incredulously, " That was weak , Ewan. I could teach you words that'd make Ansgar himself blush like a school girl. " He grinned at his boast. "Still, you don't have to like her to get a little sugar, if you know what I'm saying."

Braxton then frowned and nodded, "Yeah. I think this Lady MacArthur is gonna tell your mom. So, Ewan, you just lied to a girl who is interested in you and you're running from your mother. How does it feel to go from gentleman to wannabe bad boy all in one evening?"

Cherie mentioned Janette and hard liquor then. Yes, Brax nodded, he could imagine his wayward little sister being drawn to such a thing.

"There's some in the game room, " Brax knew because he'd already helped himself quite a bit, "she might have gone back there since I haven't been there for awhile. "

((I'll think about it and edit my post to reflect where we're going. xD I'll let you guys know! Unless you want to choose, Vinny! )) 

Vincent

Seeing the way his two new odd companions were staring at him incredulously, Ewan blushed. Naturally, he hadn't spoken his mind, but those things were highly inappropriate for this social function. "I- may be describing her faults a tad bit lightly, but I think it's adequate. " That was hardly the case. Words like spoiled, heartless and witch came to mind ,but saying such things didn't make him feel all that mature.

He shook his head, "I am not a - I am most certainly not bad. I just want them to let me enjoy my evening as I would like. Is that really such a terrible thing to want? Perhaps a bit selfish. I suppose we should not linger. My mother will probably come looking for me within the hour, I've no doubt."

Oh dear. This Janette kept sounding more and more like a nightmare each time she was mentioned. Why was she even allowed to attend the masquerade if she was so naughty?  "Hard liquor?"

ooc: Apologies. This post hardly contributes at all. Lead on, Paradox.