Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ye Olde Gaol (CLOSED)

Started by Brisinger987, December 06, 2013, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

''With all due respect, just shutup,'' Grazen said calmly. ''Whining about it won't get you out of here any sooner. Just suck it up and deal with it.''
Sure, it may have sounded harsh, but Grazen figured that she needed to hear it and Grazen did his best to make it not sound so harsh. She did whined a bit too much.

Brisinger987

"Fine, I'll shut up." Janette sat in silence, staring at the ceiling.

"So, surely a man like you has a lovely, aggressive, psychotic girlfriend somewhere. Where is she?" Janette asked, sending a smirk over his way. She wouldn't complain if she could make decent conversation.

"I mean, I'm sure there's an equally whiny boy out there I can go and marry. What about you?"

Wicked Basket

''I don't have a girlfriend, let alone any friends at all,'' Grazen replied. ''I'm too busy anyway, even though it may not seem like it right now.''
This girl really wanted conversation. He couldn't blame her, however. The first few months he started going it alone he had longed for human contact, but he had gotten over it since then. He didn't see this girl getting over it any time soon, though.

Brisinger987

"I know! I can be your girlfriend, hahahaha!" Janette laughed, mostly at her own joke, amused at the concept of them together. She had an image of a wedding in her head wherein she was over the moon at marrying him, and he had the most unimpressed face possible. And it just made her laugh more.

"Oh, that's a novel idea..."

Wicked Basket

Grazen was very unamused by her joke and, in some ways, it also made him depressed. He knew very well that he could never get married and be happy with the beast that lurked within him. That accursed demon has destroyed his life, but there's nothing he can do about it.
''I can't get married,'' he said simply.
He knew very well that she would probably ask for an explanation as to why.

Brisinger987

"Why not?" Janette was curious as to his answer, and the reason behind it. Surely even he could get married.

"I mean, surely you can marry, even with your career?" Janette knew it could work. She'd heard many a tale of assassins who managed a home life with a loving family who understood that was what their parent/husband did. It wasn't hard.

"It's not unheard of..."

Wicked Basket

There it was, the very question he dreaded.
''My career itself isn't the problem,'' he replied. ''I have something that others in mine line of work don't have to contend with. It's complicated and difficult to explain.''
He knew, of course, that that simplified explanation would not suffice and he knew perfectly well that he would end up having to explain. The reason for his stalling was merely to come up with a way to explain that would make her the least uncomfortable him, especially since they were stuck with eachother for the forseeable future.

Brisinger987

"Well say it then." Janette stated herself bluntly out of a desire to know what his big secret was. If she could find that out, it would make it easier to understand him.

"We've got plenty of time."

Wicked Basket

''You probably have not thought much about the marks you see on my hands and face,'' he began, ''but they are keeping you alive right now.''
Grazen took a deep breath and then let it out slowly in preparation for his explanation.
''These marks are seals. I have have a demon bound inside of me and these seals are what keep it inside of me. Although it sometimes escapes if I get angry enough and destroys everything and kills everyone in sight; no favorites, no exceptions. I'm too dangerous to be around.''
Grazen figured that that would get the point across. He really hopped that he wouldn't have to explain more. The memories were already beginning to emerge.

Brisinger987

Janette was a little bit taken back, but she remembered someone she had once met, and decided to recount his story.

"I once met a man who had a demon inside him. Unlike you, he wasn't lucky enough to have seals protecting people, and the demon emerged whenever he tried to feel human, when he tried to feel emotion. Eventually, the demon killed three innocent people; a young boy who had been walking in the street, dropped from the top of a church. A pregnant woman, embalmed alive by the demon. And the last victim was not one individual, but a whole orphanage, 3 dozen children in that orphanage. He was so afraid to feel after that, that he decided that sating the demon's bloodlust was the only way to prevent more innocent deaths. So he took up a career as an assassin, killing any who might dare speak against him. He became the demon he was trying to protect everyone from, until one day, he met someone. They wouldn't have been likely, and he thought nothing could ever work out between them." Janette sighed, figuring she was going to get her point across in a very fairytale way.

"Eventually, he fell in love with the woman. He found himself compelled to tell the woman his feelings, but he couldn't bear to see any more innocents get hurt, so he made his final peace with his gods, and prepared to kill himself and the demon as it tried to take control. But she helped him. Just through love, she helped him expel the demon, simply because of the man's will to be with her. She didn't expect him to stay, and he didn't. His lifestyle had meant he had forgotten any civil work skills. He'd lost everything, and was committed to being an assassin. But now that the demon was gone, he could see her. Every time he was in town, he visited her. The demon was gone, and he was free. He had scars, yes, but they were a testimony to his strength." Janette finished the tale and let a solitary tear roll down her face.

Wicked Basket

''Well maybe life isn't always a fairy tale,'' he snapped. ''Maybe not everyone was meant to live happily ever after. Maybe there is no light at the end of tunnel. There isn't hope for everyone, Princess.''
Grazen sighed deeply and calmed his nerves. He couldn't let himself get too worked up.
''These seals aren't meant to protect others,'' he said calmly now. ''These marks are meant to keep the demon inside of me and keep me from getting rid of it.''

Brisinger987

Janette couldn't think of what to say. He had tossed aside her rather nice tale and left her utterly speechless.

"I'm going to sleep... Goodnight..." She said it purely out of instinct and a slight feeling of guilt over angering him. She hadn't wanted to anger him, she had wanted to inspire. But like everything she tried to help, she just made things worse.

Wicked Basket

Grazen sighed. It seemed that the conversation was over. So be it. Grazen adjusted his makeshift pillow and tried falling asleep on the cold stone floor, but he wasn't sure if that was even possible. He figured that he'd probably fall asleep eventually, so he continued to lie there.

Brisinger987

Janette turned so she had her back to Grazen but she couldn't sleep. She wasn't tired enough.

She could feel herself in that constant state of always drifting off, but not able to sleep.

Eventually, the same exhaustion kicked in, and she did something more akin to passing out.

Wicked Basket

Grazen could see all of the faces of people that he had encountered in his past. They floated and swirled around wordlessly about him, each one smiling at him. Grazen reached out to touch one and noticed that his hand was not his own. It was dark crimson and his fingers were tipped with long, razor-sharp, black talons. Grazen looked back up at the faces, but they weren't smiling anymore. The faces were now all bloody and screaming in pain and terror. Grazen looked back down at his hands and saw that they were now coated and dripping with blood.

''NO!!!''

Grazen screamed as he abrubtly woke up. He was sweating and his heart was pounding in his chest. He looked down at his hand; they were still his own, but they were shaking violently. Grazen was breathing heavily and was on the verge of tears, but he dare not let any fall. He had had nightmares before, but none so vivid. The fact the he had most likely woke his cell mate only made things worse.

Brisinger987

Janette hadn't actually gone to sleep that night, so when he shouted, she just jumped and whimpered a little bit, scared he was going to hurt her again. She was scared of everything he did. He had so much power over her, physically and mentally. And when he was angry, or shouting, she got scared.

"A-are-are you ok-k?" She stuttered slightly as she tried to pluck up the courage to ask him if he was ok.

She didn't want to be scared of him, but with her now broken arm as a reminder of just how much power he had she couldn't help herself. She wanted to believe he was her friend, at least in here. But she also remembered how she didn't get the luxury of friends, and that it was her fault.

Wicked Basket

''I'm fine,'' Grazen replied shakily. He managed to calm himself down a little, but he was still a bit shaken.
''It was only a dream,'' he said, steadier this time. ''You can go back to sleep.''
Grazen laid back down with his back toward Janette so that she couldn't see his face. He didn't need a mirror to tell how pale he must have looked.

Brisinger987

"I can't sleep..." Janette admitted miserably. She was miserable, and to be honest, she just needed a hug. She could hear something in her mind, but she took it for stray thoughts. She didn't think that there was actually an angel trying to contact her.

"What's it like to dream? I hardly ever dream... Have you ever taken Angsar's Tears? I don't know why, but I haven't dreamt since I first took it... It takes me to my dreams... For a while..." Janette admitted that most nights were either sleepless or simply dreamless. She wanted to know what it was like again, but she feared she'd just lost the ability to dream. Her punishment for taking it. That she would never dream again.

"And my arm hurts...."

Wicked Basket

''Dreaming is the most wonderful form of torture there is,'' Grazen told her. ''One night you're living in paradise and in the next your world is falling apart and everyone is dead.''
Grazen did not turn to her and continued facing the wall as he spoke.
''And I've never heard of Ansgar's tears. This whole Ansgar business is just a big lie utilized by individuals to meet their own ends. He was just a man; nothing special.''

Brisinger987

"It's nothing like that. It's a drug... I quite enjoyed taking it. It gave me an escape. I suppose the only escape I'll get now is if they kill me for a crime I didn't commit, or if I get hold of some more..." Janette sighed, before shifting slightly. Then she made probably the worst decision she could have made right then.

She picked herself up, and came and laid next to Grazen, putting her broken arm over him in a half-cuddle.

"Don't let them kill me, please..."