Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Twisting Thorns (Orca!)

Started by zozee9, February 15, 2014, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

Rora strode through the streets of Cerenis, confidence and beauty sapping out into her aura. She might have only one eye to look at, but what a pretty eye it was. Plenty of poor young men and women had fallen into the depths of its red abyss... and quite the abyss it was, for Rora robbed them clean and left them with broken hearts.

Her other eye, the left one, was covered by an eyepatch. Its black surface was overlayed by a fully bloomed red rose. She let those that truly desired look under the eyepatch, where they would find a complementary beautiful eye—but this one with a silver iris. Most people assumed that it was a blind eye. The truth was something she rarely shared.

Rora's goal in Cerenis, however, wasn't to lure unexpecting prey in with her pretty eyes. Or rather, if it was, she didn't know it. She had simply heard rumors of there being someone who required her assistance and was willing to pay a hefty sum for it. So here she was, searching for whichever crook wanted her.

Finding underground agents rarely proved to be easy, but she tended to find that checking out bars and taverns was the best place to start. Loose lips led to shared secrets... secrets that she needed to know. And if she wanted people to get drunk and let out those forbidden words, well, she needed to spiffy herself up a little.

Grinning mischeviously, Rora reached up and pulled her hair out of its bun. Its emerald red, luscious waves fell wildly onto her shoulders. But just changing up her hair wouldn't be enough. Her tight leather pants were covered by knee-high boots. Her shirt was laced up starting at the bottom of her chest and ending with a nice bow at her collarbone. Reaching down, she untied the bow and unlaced a fair bit of it—it would show off enough cleavage to catch a man's attention but not so much that she would be considered a whore. The whole outfit was black, with the exception of the red rose earrings she always wore.

Rora grabbed herself a seat at the bar counter and ordered a low alcohol drink. Now all she had to do was wait... either for the man looking for her, someone working under him, or someone who knew something about him.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Cambie

It was safe to say that, in this small coastal town, there were plenty of sailors abound. And it was safe to say that, when the late afternoon sun was just about to slip past the horizon and turn day into night, many of these sailors flocked to the Wicked Wolf Tavern, just inland from the coast and boasting a terrific view of the harbor. They sat in small clusters, around tables and around the fire, sharing stories and laughs as they drank together.

The entrance of this pretty young thing wasn't lost on any of them, and immediately several of the drunker men whistled at Rora as she walked past them toward the bar. There were plenty of women in the bar too: barmaids, ship hands, and a dozen other professions. That never stopped the regulars from eyeing down every new pretty face. And this one, it was safe to say, caught all their attentions. Red hair had that effect.

In particular, a lone man sitting in the back of the tavern glanced up at Rora as she sat down at the bar. He had a full mug of ale sitting on the small round table before him, but the mug itself looked to be completely untouched. His face was half-concealed by the shadow of a ceiling beam overhead, but even that could not completely obscure those observant golden eyes as he watched the girl order a drink. Nobody seemed to pay any attention to him, and so nobody seemed to notice that his eyeing her was of a completely different nature than the drunkards dotting the little tavern.

The Stranger had a hundred names. Here in Cerenis, it was Pavel. And Pavel's face was decidedly Serenian: a long handsome face and high cheekbones, pale skin underneath jet black hair, pert nose. He didn't look out of place at all here. Even his clothing blended in with the locals: a crisp white shirt underneath an earthy vest, dark breeches and black boots.

After a few minutes of watching several sailors approach the girl and try their horrendous pickup lines on Rora, the Stranger stood from his seat and half-sauntered over to the bar, plopping himself down on a seat beside her. He tapped a small silver coin on the bar top and gave the portly bartender a small grin. "Hers and mine, George. And I'll have another."

As the mug of ale was placed before him, he turned to Rora and threw her a smile as well. When he spoke, his words carried that silky intonation of a Serenian accent. "You here by yourself, or you looking for someone, darling?"

She looked like the one he was to work with. But he had to make sure.

zozee9

Rora watched with bitter amusement as various men tried to hit on her. If only they knew what they would be getting into... but she didn't even plan on feeding their fantasies. Most of them left after a few lines had been passed without response, but a couple seemed to be a little more brave. Brave enough, that is, to last until she gave them a cold glare.

She glanced over as someone sat next to her and bought her a drink. Well, at least he seemed to have more class than the others. He was nicer to the eye than all of them, too. But, alas, she would have to turn him away as well.

Or maybe not.

No guy simply hoping to have a night of fun would start a conversation like that. Well... unless he was a romantic. But romantics didn't go chasing women at bars. Even still, it never hurt to keep her guard up. Plus, it wasn't like she was just going to ask him if he was the person hiring her to kill someone right in the middle of a busy bar.

"Neither, it seems," Rora responded after sip of her drink. "Since you're here, I'm no longer by myself. And I'm getting the feeling that you might just be who I was looking for." Well, if he was some sort of weird bar romantic, the line would still work.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Cambie

That smile on the Stranger's face might have suggested that he was simply following the lead of all these other sailors in their failed attempts at striking conversation with this mysterious new girl. But there was a glimmer in his golden eyes, a piercing quality to that gaze of his, that suggested other motives.

"Well I'm glad to hear that,"
replied the silky Serenian voice, "but there are plenty others I could find, and all for the right price too. It really depends on whether you've got the talent. I've got some high standards you know, and I expect this to last the whole night. Here, how about you come back to my table and we chitchat in private?"

The bartender was right there in earshot as he wiped down a wine glass with a wet rag. The portly man gave Rora and the Stranger a quick look, but ignored them. To him, it all sounded like another drunk man trying to bargain for a night of fun with the kind of floozies that often roosted in his bar. It was nothing special. He'd get lucky, or he'd get a slap to the face. Either way, the Wicked Wolf Tavern got his coin.

The Stranger offered a smile right back to the bartender and peered questioningly at Rora. By the time his golden eyes found hers, though, the smile had faded into a slightly more serious expression that suggested he meant business.

zozee9

Reaching up as if she was going to slap him, Rora rushed her hand to his face before abruptly stopping and gently rubbing the side of his face. She then smiled back at the stranger with the same glimmer in her own eye. She was to play the local prostitute? So be it. In a way, that's what she was, anyway. She just happened to kill people in the act.

Standing up and grabbing her drink, she walked over to the table that he had come from, swaying her hips gracefully as she moved. Rora sat down and glared at all of the men looking at her before rolling her eyes. Fools.

Cambie

The Stranger sat down across from her. Once more, the shadow of the ceiling beam half-concealed his face, making it at least somewhat distracting to look at him. He shot her half a leer and a small smile, as though he was ready to discuss payment with a street walker. When he spoke though...

"Your reputation precedes you," he said now, through that fake smile. His voice seemed to have changed too. It no longer sounded Serenian at all, but sounded... like a little bit of every accent imaginable. Maybe a bit of Adelan, a touch of Essyrni. It was hard to place it, but that voice of his certainly changed.

"You can call me Pavel. Now normally I work alone, but this is a complicated task. I assume you've been told the general details. But before I go any further, I have to know that you are as capable as the gossips say you are."

His piercing golden eyes slowly eyed her up and down, pausing briefly on the rose-emblazoned eyepatch of hers. If it was designed to draw his attention, it certainly did that. If it had another purpose... well, he was looking forward to hear what her talents were. He leaned forward a bit, hands neatly folded on the table in front of him.

((Totally winging it, feel free to make up whatever job they're trying to do :) ))

zozee9

The accent switch confirmed any last suspicions Rora had about the man's motives. He was there for business, and not the kind of business he was making it seem like. She leaned forward and gave him a coy smile. It was one of the tricks you learned when you were a prostitute—show off your cleavage and lure them in when discussing how much you were worth. Showing the good part of something was always a business plus. Furthermore, eyes liked to travel downwards and get lost in the abyss of a women's bosom, which usually distracted a man's thoughts enough for him to make a deal he didn't realize he was making.

Of course, it wasn't like she was actually trying to sell herself to him in that way. She just had to continue making the act believable... plus, assuming he wanted her for murdering purposes involving sex (as most people normally did), it never hurt to show how she got people to desire her.

"Details..." Rora repeated slowly. "No, I'm afraid I got none of those. But I promise the gossips do not do me nearly enough justice. I can arouse people in a way unique to myself and end their pitiful lives... to make them into more beautiful ones, of course." If he had heard about what her corpses looked like in the end, all covered with roses, he should know exactly what they meant. "And, to make it even better, most people make that transformation without even realizing what is happening to them. It's quite amazing, isn't it? What one night with someone can do... Of course, if you need my talents in a different way, I'm perfectly capable to use them other ways as well."

Cambie

The Stranger listened silently to her speak and, when she was done, gave a curt nod of his head. The rumors had proved quite accurate. Now, all that was left was to see whether she could put those talents to good use. With another satisfied nod, he said, "Good. Let us go somewhere less conspicuous where we can discuss the task at hand. We work tonight."

And putting back on his lovelorn smile and his infatuated stare, he stood up from the table and tossed several coins onto the table. They rattled around before settling down beside his two mugs of ale, both still untouched.

"Darling, I promise you, when this night is over you'll never think of any other man, ever again!" came the sure but obviously misguided Serenian accent as he held his arm out for her. Several other patrons chanced a glance at the man again, and to the beauty draped over his arm. They noticed how his eyes were intently locked on her cleavage rather than her single unpatched eye, and shook their heads in amusement. The kid didn't know what he was in for.

With another loud sigh, 'Pavel' led her out the tavern's side door and down an alleyway toward the edge of the harbor.

"The mission is the Greenstone Manor, down the coast and on the waterfront," he whispered into her ear. "Your payment... whatever you wish from inside."

zozee9

Rora was glad to get out of the tavern. While it was a great place to meet clients, it also gave her more attention than she typically liked. Streets were busier but had a greater variety of looks... she didn't stand out as much. Plus people weren't paying attention to others. In taverns, however, she did stand out and people noticed. Luckily, most of the people would be too drunk to remember what she looked like.

The alleyway was also a good place for him to bring her. It was silent, empty, and dark. If it all was just a set-up to try to kill her and take the bounty, which had happened before, she would have the edge. After all, people didn't expect her to be able to fight so well in the dark.

Looking at the man, Rora cocked an eyebrow. "The entire Greenstone Manor?" she questioned curiously. "Or is there someone in particular in there? I can do either, of course. As for payment... well, I believe that still needs to be talked about. It sounds to me like you're trying to get away with giving me nothing. Also, one last thing—you said that we work tonight. Was that part of the act, or is there more to this job than just me?"

Cambie

'Pavel' stopped at the edge of the alleyway, just off of the road leading down toward the wharf. The sun had just dipped below the horizon, leaving the sky in a limbo of rapidly fading orange and purple. The crowds of people usually traversing this road had died down by now, most of them already home with their families. A single drunkard stumbled along, but paid the two of them no attention.

"I have my own job to do," he said softly to the girl, leaning his back against the wall of the nearby building. "My mark expects me though, and has guards watching him carefully. I need you to get rid of his right hand man. His name is Edvard, and he will not be taken lightly. My success hinges on your success."

He remained silent for a moment, glancing up at the darkening sky.

"And no. Your payment is what I said. There will be riches beyond your choosing in Greenstone, and your payment is whatever you wish to take. I will not be sharing in it."

zozee9

Rora eyed the man suspiciously. He wasn't telling her the whole truth, which most people who hired her didn't, but it seemed like the part that was missing might be important for her to know.

"And who's to say that I can't sneak into the manor, steal the items of worth, and leave without being caught?" Rora questioned. "You have given me no motivation to do the assassination. If not for payment, then I must have a reason. What business do you have with the master of the manor? I take it that you do not wish to kill him, or else you would have hired me for that... unless it is revenge, that is."

Cambie

'Pavel' let out a soft exhale and shook his head.

"The master of the house will die. But it must be by my hand," he said softly. His golden eyes gleamed in the moonlight, making him almost look like a cat. "I would prefer to have no others killed by my hand, which is why I require your help. All I need is for you to clear the way for me. Should you decide that bloodshed is necessary, I leave that to you."

It was hard to tell in the darkness, but somehow even his face seemed to change slightly. Tiny difference in his features made him almost seem unrecognizable, as though he was everyone -- and no one.

"If you wish to steal the lord's wares and be on your way, I shall not stop you. I only ask you this task of you because of your reputation. Whether you help me or not, will not change anything in the end."

zozee9

Rora smiled at Pavel, turned around, and started walking. Raising her hand in farewell, she said, "I'll do it. The path will be cleared by midnight. Edvard will be out of your way... and possibly some of the others, as well.  But I expect you to put in a good word for me in the underground world, darling."

Pausing, she flipped up her eyepatch and turned around to get one last glimpse of him. From their distance and the darkness, it was unlikely that he would be able to see her face in enough detail to see that the eye was uncovered. Rora flipped it back down and kept walking, smiling contently to herself. It seemed as if she had met an interesting person... or thing. He undoubtably changed his face between the last few sentences. With her eyepatch off, she had been able to see all those small details that had been altered to make him look like someone different than the guy she met in the bar.

Cambie

Pavel watched her disappear into the shadows before he, too, slipped away. There was work to be done.

The Greenstone Manor truly lived up to its name. Somehow, the marble quarry from which its stones had been mined had a slight green tinge to them. Sitting along the waters of Cerenis, perhaps a mile or two outside of town, it certainly looked like an old seaweed-covered ruin rather than the opulent estate that it was. In fact, the only way one could even tell it was inhabited was from the bright lights that shone from the windows, the interior lit by hundreds of candles and torches.

And then there were the guardsmen, patrolling both the grounds and the wall parapets, on the lookout for signs of trouble coming their way. After all, their Master was one of the riches and well-respected men in Serendipity. He also just so happened to be one of the most notorious crime lords in the Seaside Town.

The guards were ever on alert these days, ever since he hired out an assassin to murder his long-time rival. When the man's body had washed up at the docks, the entire town knew it was at the command of Master Georgio of Greenstone. Perhaps he didn't fear reprisal. After all, his stranglehold on the town was nigh absolute.

But he certainly expected at least some fool to seek revenge.

His guards continued on their patrols well past the night, the heavy gates closed to the outside world.

zozee9

OOC: omg sorry this is so late! let me know if you need me to edit anything or add more (i was actually gonna go to bed right now but then i realized i hadn't responded to this in almost two weeks! D:). I thought maybe you'd want to write out Edvard?

Rora took a deep breath and stared up at the moon. A few hours had passed since she had gotten her job, and now it was time to take action. Was the payment worth the risk of this job? Probably not. If all she had to do was kill him, that would be easy. But since that wasn't required, she was going to do everything she could manage to keep him alive while still completing the task at hand. After all, she might be an assassin, but she wasn't a ruthless murderer. Unfortunately, getting a trained guard away from the man he is supposed to be protecting would be a lot harder than just killing him.

Harder, but not impossible.

She had changed into a simple black dress and had already removed her eyepatch (which now laid happily in her dress pocket). There were many plans she had plotted out, but she knew the chances of any of them working perfectly would be low. She'd have to adapt and react quickly... luckily, that's what she was used to doing. The first step, however, would simply be getting to meet up with Edvard.

A smile spread across Rora's face as she moved her gaze down from the night sky to the gate and the wall that ran alongside it. She could simply just climb it, but that wouldn't serve her purposes as well. Instead, Rora ran towards the gate, tears pouring out of her eyes.

The guards, of course, ran towards her and pulled their weapons out. "Please!" she pleaded desperately. "Please, I haven't eaten in days! My ex-fiancé kicked me out of his house and gave me no money to leave with. I just need something to eat! Anything! Please, won't you let me in?" Sure, it wasn't the best of her acts, but it didn't need to be. Her beautifully framed eyes (with the help of her tears... and a little bit of magic) stared into the hearts of the guards, all of whom now saw her as a damsel in distress.

The guards exchanged a few words amongst themselves before one turned to Rora. "Fine," he spoke with a thick accent that she couldn't quite place. "But first, you must meet the head guard. If he believes you to be unsafe, you shall be... released from your life immediately."

Snickering inside of her head on just how well her act had worked (he couldn't even say killed!), Rora 'earnestly' replied, "Oh, thank you! You kind souls, may heaven favor you for all of eternity!" And, just like that, she got herself escorted into the house.

Cambie

(( OOC: I'm winging it, so feel free to do the same! ))

The guards disappeared from atop the wall and, moments later, the heavy gates swung open. But rather than just a single guard there to meet this girl in the courtyard, there were four of them holding their spears. There was a nervous look about each one of them, and probably for good reason. Master Georgio certainly had a stranglehold on the town of Cerenis, but if anything were to happen at the estate then these guardsmen would be the first to be blamed. And nobody wanted to get on the bad side of the meanest criminal kingpin in eastern Serendipity.

"You just hold yourself there, girlie, while we go fetch the cap'n," the guard said to her as he motioned for another to run off and fetch Edvard. What followed next was an awkward silence, with the remaining three guards exchanging glances and surreptitiously stealing looks at this pretty girl.

Finally, one of them nudged the main guard and said, "So... should we search her for weapons, Jonn?"

---

From up on a hill, hidden by the shadows of the treeline, a pair of golden eyes watched the scene unfold before him. The girl had gotten the gates open with only a few words. He had to admit. He was impressed.

zozee9

(( OOC: down with the joke! i'm completely winging it, and always feel free to make it so things don't go so well for rora xD ))

Search her for weapons? Fools. Of course they should. But that didn't mean she'd let them... she had a knife hidden under her dress, after all.

Rora let out an audible gasp and covered her mouth. "Search me?!" she repeated, aghast. "Why just three days ago I was forced to leave my home and now these guards want to look through the inner crooks of my body. Is nothing sacred anymore?" She looked up at the moon, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Rora's arms wrapped around her stomach as she looked back at the guards with begging eyes. "Fine, search me! I am broken now anyway, aren't I... even my body which hasn't yet been deflowered is considered worthless by you guards. But I need food, so search me!" Without even giving them a second to respond after her monologue, Rora started to pull up the bottom of her dress, exposing her ankles and then her calves and then her knees—

"Stop!" yelled the youngest guard as he averted his eyes. "Can't you see her legs trembling? She clearly couldn't hurt a thing."

Cambie

The other guards immediately halted at the cry and nervously stared at one another. Most of them were no more than young lads barely into adulthood. They could have found employment anywhere else, but luck would have it that they chose a poor profession. After all, the people who owned this estate didn't exactly have the cleanest hands. Everyone knew it was a crime center.

The older guard remained unconvinced and was just about to command the others to strip search the girl when one of the guards ran back out of the manor, almost breathless.

"Captain ain't comin," he said as he rested hands upon knees to catch his breath. "He said to toss her out and stop bein' stupid."

Jonn shook his head and wrinkled his face in disgust. "Look'it her, she can barely stand, the way she's trembling from the cold. Here, we'll take her to the kitchens and give a bowl of soup. Cap'n doesn't have to know."

His sentiment was met with a round of nods from the other younger guards. Evidently they were already enamored by this mystery girl. The head guard scowled and glared at the others, but he wasn't getting paid enough to fight the lot of them. After all, they were guards, but they were also ruffians to the core. How else would they have gotten the job of guarding the biggest crime lord in Cerenis?

zozee9

The second the idiot said they would take her inside, Rora dropped the hem of her dress and wiped the tears out of her eyes. "Oh, thank you! Thank you so much"! she exclaimed while moving forward and giving the startled Jonn a hug. "The heavens will look down upon your kind soul, I promise!"

The other guards, seemingly unsure as to what to do, just coughed and moved to open the gate. They were so easy to manipulate, Rora thought while inwardly laughing, clearly not men who were thugs in their bones. Just simple rascals looking for a job... but, well, their employer would be out of service soon.

Cambie

From up on the hill, Rora's quiet observer finally stood up in the shadows and slid his way down an embankment and up toward the now-opening gate, keeping out of view. Of course, that wasn't exactly a difficult task, seeing as though all of the guards seemed to be enamored by this frightened little 'girl.' Just a little vindication that he'd hired the right woman for the job.

The gates swung open and Jonn gestured for the girl to quickly step through the narrow portal and into the massive seaside estate's courtyard. As she did so, he slipped in right beside her, dressed in the same tabard and leathers that the rest of these hired hands wore. He wore yet another face, this one with a crooked nose and a drooping lip, but otherwise he looked just like any other guard.

"Alright, off to the kitchens with ye, and we'll get you fed and warmed right up,"
Jonn said enthusiastically, not even noticing this brand new guard among their midsts. "I'll take you there myself, darling."

Tags: