Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cathedral Conundrums

Started by Zero, February 25, 2014, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Lillian didn't miss the tension her grabbing him had caused, it was to be expected, really. He was a duke, she just the daughter of one, and someone he didn't even know that well. It had been wrong of her to try to detain him, even if only for a moment.

Just moments before he'd seemed so eager to be away from her, so when he seemed to soften, she felt a touch of relief. For a moment her heart had stopped, but now that he didn't seem angry it had resumed beating, although a little more quickly than before as she gazed up at his eyes - they were a very pretty shade of blue.

"I would be honored." The words came almost automatically. She shouldn't accept an invitation to ride with him! Then again, what could it hurt? Blaith was the duke of Turgall. Wouldn't it have been rude to refuse? She was a Knight of the White Lily, Lillian reminded herself, not just a lady, and she didn't have to run to her father for permission at every turn. Her lips curved into a smile. "And I would enjoy the company."

visualspice

Blaith flashed her a smile, a more real one this time, but even that one didn't entirely reach his eyes.
"I'm surprised that you agreed. A knight of the white lily.. I would have thought the Grand Duke had you on a tighter leash," he commented as he lead her outside the church with him and towards the stable where he kept his horses and carriage.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Lillian made a face at the comment of being kept on a short leash. She wasn't a dog.

"I have no duties to see to today. I'm leaving the city in the morning, so I'm enjoying a day of leisure before riding north. As I see it, that means that today I can do whatever I please. I don't need the Grand Duke's permission to go for a ride." It still seemed odd to be called forth by name. She couldn't question or disobey the orders, so that really didn't leave her much choice but to go to this fort at the mountains.

visualspice

Blaith nodded as he strolled beside her.
"Bet you've seen a lot of action. Things have gotten quite busy with the war."
Turning to her, he gave a curious tilt of his head.
"Heading to the camps?"
If someone was going North, it normally meant to the mage camps. Most of the war activities were focused up there- which is why it was rare things like Havanlaar and Thaedes ever happened. To think, entire cities brought to the ground to crush a rebellion....
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Things had gotten busy, but Lillian had spent much of the last five years in training, not actual combat. What she had seen made her pretty sick to think about. It was also the reason she questioned Calent, his methods, her role and place in the world, and just about everything else. She'd never realized just how naive she was until entering her training as a Knight of the White Lily.

"I don't know if I'm really at liberty to discuss my assignment, Duke Harmond, I'm sure you understand." Report to General Serenus at Fort Dhagh, that was all she really knew anyway. Oh, and something about taking charge of a mage prisoner.

visualspice

"I suppose that makes sense," he said, stepping into the stable and gesturing for her to approach the white mare he was untethering. "We've all got our secrets. And we all try to appease the crown."

Zero

Lillian eyed Blaith quizzically before stepping towards the mare as primly as you could expect in her partial armor. Her jade eyes glanced up at him, a delicate brow arching slightly. "I wasn't given much of a choice. My duty is to serve the crown. If that is appeasing it, then so be it."

visualspice

Blaith peered up the knight with a crooked grin- this one a bit more realized than the last few smiles he spared her. Then he moved over to his own white horse, this one a stallion, and he slipped his oil slicked boots into the stirrup before throwing himself into the saddle. The saddle settled beneath his weight with a few jingles of the reigns as they were gathered in his gloved hands.

"Well, seems as if you have a choice now," he said, blue eyes dancing as he gave a press of his boots into the horses side, and he made off down the cobble stone at a light canter as the horse's hooves clopped against the stone road.

Zero

Climbing into the saddle, Lillian settled onto the mare easily, smiling with satisfaction at the way the animal felt and moved beneath her. Duke Harmond had good taste in horses. Still, she'd rather have been on her own stallion, the warhorse was almost an extension of her own body when she was in his saddle.

A moment later Blaith had taken off down the stone street. She gave the mare a nudge and followed, wondering what he meant about her having a choice. Lillian was still obligated to serve the crown, regardless of how she felt. Maybe she didn't agree with Calent, but it didn't matter - she still didn't have a choice.

"What choice are you talking about? Going for a ride?" She said as she caught up.

visualspice

Blaith slowed his horse only enough for her to catch up.
"But of course," his grin tugged leftward on his face as he turned to observe her. "I'm sure if you asked during your off hours, the church would be more than happy to put you to work. There's been an influx in orphanages, some spilling into the charities of the church. But there's also repair work- again, things the church has sought out to help where it can. Makes me wonder where the resources are coming from- what with all the men being herded off to war."

Zero

Lillian watched his face, noting the way his grin seemed to favor to the left, an unconscious facial tick, perhaps? A personal indicator of just what that grin meant? It was an observation to note and further study at another time, perhaps. Maybe his smiles were just naturally crooked. He was a rather handsome man, very regal indeed. Odd that he'd never married. Hadn't her own sister wanted to marry him once?

Realizing she'd let herself get distracted her face flushed slightly as she gave him a rather sheepish look. "I don't know where the resources are coming from, but that's actually a good question." Now she was curious about that too. It hadn't occurred to her before, and she mentally chided herself for not thinking about such a thing. "As for volunteering for more work, why would I do that? I'm about to ride north to some frigid post near the mountains, I daresay they'll have plenty for me to worry about."

visualspice

"Probably!" Blaith agreed through a breathy laugh. "There's a lot of work to do at the mage camps." For that is still where he presumed she would be going. Most mordecai and adhara were stationed there, after all.

Zero

"I suspect there's a lot of work to be done everywhere with the war going on." Lillian said, frowning softly as she was reminded of how much damage the war had caused. So many people had been killed, injured, or been horribly wronged by Calent's campaign against mages. The very concept of the mage camps were appalling to her, but nobody really cared about the opinion of one Duke's daughter.

visualspice

"Yes, walls are crumbling down in the cities, men are in short supply- Though ironically enough," Blaith added with a chuckle. "There are not enough of your kind to patrol every city. So I'm not sure how much of his goals he realized are unrealistic. But who am I to speak out against the Grand Duke?" Lord knows he had tried on numerous occasions. But no one listened to him- and it pissed him off.

Zero

Lillian observed Blaith critically, yes, he was handsome, but there was something more that she needed to see. Especially when he spoke of speaking against the Grand Duke she flashed him a coy smile. "But Duke Harmond, you're exactly who should be speaking against the Grand Duke. It is the duty of every Duke to reach out to the Grand Duke, to ensure that he is truly seeing to the welfare of his people. All of his people. Is it not?"

visualspice

"My lady, I can only do so much before I realize my voice falls on deaf ears. If you'd be in the political court, you'd hear my voice quite frequently. But those matters are always swept under the rug."

Zero

Lillian shifted lightly in her saddle, frowning softly. The world was full of so many reasons not to smile these days, and it was depressing. There was a time when it was hard to catch Lillian Coleridge without a bright smile on her sweet young face, but she'd been just a girl back then. "I would be in the political court if I was permitted the time, but I'm afraid the voice of a woman is often ignored anyway. If Calent is unwilling to listen to his people, then he will pay for it in the end."

visualspice

Blaith gave a dry laugh before growing silent- blue eyes on the road before them when eventually he took his horse on a sharp right at the end of the road, and they were soon trotting across a field. The wind sweeping through the park felt freeing, with open grasses and no buildings to remain stifling and in your way. Yes, he needed a change of scenery- something to keep his mind off of those things that triggered his inevitable mental change.

Zero

Had she said too much? Lillian pursed her lips slightly as she followed along behind him, the dry laugh making her fidget slightly. Blaith probably thought she was foolish. Lillian wasn't the only Coleridge that tired of the war, but she didn't think any of her family members had ever openly criticized the Grand Duke before.

"Sorry, I speak too much sometimes." She murmured apologetically.

visualspice

"Don't apologize. It's refreshing to hear. In fact, you should go on," he said, giving her a crooked smile as he cantered along side her, though still remaining somewhat in the lead.