Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What are you working on?

Started by Tally, February 27, 2014, 10:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

We have so many writers around, I decided we need a writing board! :D

So let's get it started with this question:  what project are you working on atm?

I've got a novel in its third revision right now.  It's so close to being done!  It's a medieval fantasy about mercenaries. (:  I've also got a couple of short stories I pick at off and on when not working on the novel!

Codestar7

M working on a 20,000 word novella I'm hoping to complete.

It's about Wood Elves and Snow Elves goi to war with Orcs.

It's named Wood Elves of Fallow's End

Aeytrious

I write poetry a lot. Mainly when I get into new relationships its all beautiful and flowery. Then when breakups hit its all sad and depressing. The time between is pretty self-exploratory. By my own judgment I have to say, my pain filled poetry is generally better than the lovey stuff, but my favorite of all my poems is a love poem. So my thang right now is editing and cleaning up all my old stuff and then putting the pieces I feel really good about in a nice leather writing journal. When it's full, I'll have my own book of poetry.

I also am working on a bunch of short stories to flesh out characters that will be part of a band of adventurers in a future novel. Then I have my modern era high fantasy novel I'm working on, that has an awesome name, and I'm about halfway done with that. Only started last October too. And then there is the novel I've been working on for ages. I have a solid first five chapters, and I have a lot of later parts, and I'm pretty sure of the several endings to the several books it's gonna end up being. There's just this struggle to find my way past this point in the 6th chapter. I haven't seen it yet. I can't find it, but eventually I will. I'm also working on a D&D campaign setting. Whole world stuff, like SotE, only way more in depth and detailed with a rigid set of rules.

Sometimes it all feels daunting.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

I'm working on a 3 book, Western Fantasy Adventure series that is too many years in the works. Hoping to hop back into writing it, as I'm about five chapters shy if finishing book one :T

I also have a million other ideas for other books, but not quite as far with any of those as with this one. My first book I'm tackling is during my favorite time period (victorian era type stuff, age of steam, etc) and mixes the wild west and also gets to dive into some Ancient Egyptian stuff.

Ancient Egypt and Cowboys? Awww yeah 8D

and ironically, most of my other books have SOME sort of Egyptian theme with them (not all, but most XD ) as I'm also working on a lady mummy series,a nd might have another one involving a male mummy lol

WE SHALL SEE

Gotta kick my butt and get back into writing.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

November

I have ''stories' I work on; not necessarily writing, not necessarily artwork. Just ideas that mull around in my head, waiting to find out what they want to be. Belle and Mephisto have their own Universe that's pretty set in stone. Story is fairly similar to start off with.

Recently I had an idea about an underground network of Artists hiding their forbidden passion of all things creative in a steam-punk universe in a country that resembles Nazi Germany. Gotta do some research about people of colour in Germany at that time though, because the lead is a black woman (possibly with a Jewish female love interest? Don't know how far I want to push the 'oppressed main character' boat out: how much is too much? IS THERE SUCH A THING?! Because all the white straight characters are telling me otherwise!).

It fits because Germany went through a massive artistic boom before the Nazi regime. I will forever be upset about the Bauhaus and how hard they fought to keep their right of expression, before in their 3rd iteration, many of the artists where taken away to concentration camps, and it hasn't existed since. KANDINSKY TAUGHT THEIR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. FIRST ART SCHOOL TO ALLOW WOMEN? GOODNESS GRACIOUS. THE REASON YOUR KETTLE AND KITCHEN LOOKS LIKE IT DOES? AHHHHHHH. FIRST WOMEN TO PUBLICLY WEAR TROUSERS? BAUHAUS WOMEN. FIRST MEN WITH LONG HAIR SINCE GROOMING STANDARDS? BAUHAUS MEN. GOD I LOVE THE BAUHAUS It strikes me as a very Schindler's List sounding premise, but that film was freaking good. I want to put in so many German artist cameos though. Ohh myy goooodd.

It's in it's 'cool idea' phase at the moment. It's a day old, give it time XD

Looshi

@Painterlee

Oh wow, that sounds like a great idea. I say build on it and see what you get!

As for what I'm working on, I'm on the second draft of a novel I'm turning into a game(I'm still flip flopping on what engine I want to make it in).

Sentry

I've got two main things I'm working on. One is an AU WWII historical with pirates and the other is an odd mixture of modern into higher fantasy. The first one is done, I just have to start on my revisions and adding details that need to be added that were found by futher research (yay for <insert info here> tags for myself)

visualspice

Quote from: Sentry on June 23, 2014, 01:52:56 PM
I've got two main things I'm working on. One is an AU WWII historical with pirates and the other is an odd mixture of modern into higher fantasy. The first one is done, I just have to start on my revisions and adding details that need to be added that were found by futher research (yay for <insert info here> tags for myself)

Sounds fun :D I love historical fiction stories *_* especially when the research is well done :3
have fun with it ^_^ Though ww2 era is fun, most of the stuff I write tends to be in the Victorian Era.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Sentry

Quote from: visualspice on June 23, 2014, 03:07:17 PM
Quote from: Sentry on June 23, 2014, 01:52:56 PM

Sounds fun :D I love historical fiction stories *_* especially when the research is well done :3
have fun with it ^_^ Though ww2 era is fun, most of the stuff I write tends to be in the Victorian Era.

I am having a lot of fun with it :) when I first wrote it out I didn't bother with too much of the research (I had done minimal as needed but some of the heavier things I just put tags for myself), the heavier research I left for later since I wanted to just get everything OUT. Not to mention some things were a little tougher to place, such as the operation of planes, specifically the British Spitfire that I was using to model my air crafts after. I'm also planning (when I have a chance) to contact a local aviation museum to see if they or anyone they may know has WWII planes I can get a ride in for better research on just how difficult the operation of it was. Since my story is through my MC's POV (1st person) it would be great for some hands on experience.

I do love the Victorian Era, in fact I had a story that one of the MCs was born in that era (he's a vampire, one of the few stories I have when them in it) and frequently refers back to it.

As for what you're working on (read post xD) your Victorian Egyptian Cowboys sound like a lot of fun! :D

Zane

Before a set of dire recent events, I had two projects in the works, one is in the early drafting stages, the other is in the early plotting stages.

The Telling is my first project, this one I plan to eventually publish should I ever finish it. It takes place about 10-15 years in our future. It at first follows the story of Axenel Geib, goes by Ax. Ax lives in a semi urban community in South Carolina, he is an extremely introverted person who lives most of his life through the internet. Tech-savvy and extremely smart, his outward momentum begins with a workout routine he has in order to stay fit and ends with volunteer work at the Zoo, as he prefers to company of animals to people. On a day just like any other, he wakes up, gets ready for another lifeless day at work. Something seems off, The whole morning is different but the same. On his way to work, there is absolutely no traffic, nobody at his workplace, it doesn't take long for him to realize that he is the only person there. Quick exploration reveals that he is utterly alone, but there is no sign of a mass exodus or panic. Peoples cars remain in their driveways, their belongings unmolested by looters or thieves. It is as if everyone else just faded in their sleep. Even the internet is quiet.

And that is all you get of that one.

Bloodlines is my other project, just kinda early plotting stages right now. Stems from the idea that the world climate regions are not effected by seasonal temperature change but rather the only temperature change is between regions. The gave spawn the the Winterbloods and the Summerbloods, two powerful and vastly different bloodlines older than lore itself.

Winterbloods being a warrior race in the far north. Giants among men and feared for their prowess in battle and are charged with holding the Raven Wall at the edge of the world. The head family is the Ravenell's, the commissioners of the Raven Wall. Ever member of the large Ravenell family is commanded to hold a section of the wall ever since their coming of age celebration. It is said that no man may climb to where the Raven flies.

Summerbloods are the ever diligent politician, smooth talkers with a tongue sharper than most swords. A talented Summerblood can get whatever he desires without having to lift a finger. The Summerbloods are the unofficial leaders of the nation, and are lead by the Sterling Family in an almost monarchy. It is said that a Summerblood could sell you the deed to your own house for twice what you already paid for it, and you would still think you got a good deal.

That's pretty much all I got plotted in that one, I feel like it is kinda Game of Thones-esque, kinda like to explore the possibilities with this one when I am bored

Ethereal-Star

Oh geez, don't get me started. (Train of ideas is already taking off at full speed, too late.) Ah well, who am I kidding. I got so many ideas coming out the wazoo, my ideas have ideas. And so on and so forth. I am very chaotic in terms of creativity. My muse (I am beginning to think I have an army of them) throws so many cool and fantastic ideas and projects at me  (in writing, RP'ing and art) that it is difficult to decide what to really focus on. Needless to say it is pretty overwhelming and my head sometimes feels on the verge of exploding. But I digress.

As for projects NOW, (not including dead/dying/back burner/unfinished projects), let's see.

First off, all my character concepts for SotE and other roleplay forums including RotE. One of them includes the race of Pleiadeians from the Pleiades that right now, are spanning many many planets. Not sure if that needs to be nipped in the bud some or let continue to expand and grow. This is a race I am creating for Remnants of the Earth, sister to Spirits of the Earth. Haven't yet joined that site yet, but first things first. Then another race for Remnants is going to be one from/nearby the dog star Sirius. I want to make them allies/have close ties with the Pleiadeians. So much to do so little time.

And if that weren't enough, I have a campaign world that will probably be both a novel series and/or a roleplay campaign setting. It is a high fantasy world with some set races including some variations of elves, dwarves, tree people, fairies, aquatic races, etc. And to top that off no pun intended, they are going to have their own mythology and philosophy that governs their various religious and spiritual beliefs. I was thinking the 'levels' would be called 'domains' with three worldly domains of Earth, Sea and Sky where different races live. The other one is the spiritual domain which would encompass and reflect what we here on Terra Firma view to be our mythology/religious base/home of the gods, divine powers and fiendish powers and other extra-dimensional beings. Basically whatever is considered to be myth or legend for these peoples would go there. This is still very much in its beginning stages as I haven't had much inspiration lately to work on it. Hopefully that will change.

Plus all the other myriad of ideas and projects floating around in this head o' mine. I seriously need to have 10+ lifetimes to finish all these. I have even considered 'donating' some ideas to those who are idea challenged to take off a load. Of course, only the ones I am not all that interested in pursuing myself but still think they would make great stories someone else could build upon. If you *DO* need an idea, PM me. I am sure I got plenty.

Ethereal-Star

A bunch of characters for SotE at the moment... And trying to finish some for RotE. And keeping up with threads. Also a map for The Greater Isles I posted. I may have a map tool I can use but if not, I will just draw the map instead.

I discarded my idea of the alien races I was working on, it was too much and not necessary to make the characters themselves.

Anadwen

Dragon-blood samurais and soulless monsters and Yokai and katanas and epic fights and crap. And poetry besides that.

It was originally intended to be a merging of high fantasy and medieval eastern fantasy, but then... My ideas changed, and that changed the setting. The setting itself is loosely based on the Sengoku period and I draw inspiration from traditional myths just as well as more modern manga. Its basic idea is a heavily merit-based society ruled by a warrior caste and nobility. However, except for humans, there are the Dragon-blooded, Ryūketsu, ancestors of ancient (and now also considered extinct) dragons and humans, which are more physically adept and inherited the longevity of dragons (along with some more obvious traits, such as ridiculous hair color, sharp teeth and other features that make them quite easy to distinguish from humans). They are the majority of the warrior caste, which is ruled by an emperor that no one has seen in ages... By ages meaning centuries.
The story itself follows the journey of a human boy, Misao Okawa, and his dragon-blooded childhood friend from the nobility, Shinobu Kiyoura, who has always wished to become a member of the Warrior caste, despite how difficult it is even for the dragon-blooded, not speaking of humans; Shinobu, on the other hand, just wanted to make her parents proud of her.
Little did Misao know that he'll find himself fighting scary spider women, soulless beasts, vengeful ghosts and demons before he even gets used to brewing tea for his odd superior and learns to handle the weird antics of the generals, because something is brewing and the warrior caste will have to get off their lazy bums and fight again.

JackieCat

I'm working on a lot of stuff.  I have over a hundred short stories!  Both finished and in the making.  They are all mostly fantasy, but some take place in the late 1800's.  I have a few stories over sixty pages, most of them are ten to twenty.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Aleron

Well, I have stories but not books. Generally I have them divided into 2 universes (even thought they are in the same universe). One is the "R-Force" section and the other is the "Esmadus" section.
R-Force, which desperately needs a new name, is just a normal time/earth drama about 3 or 4 kids who get telekinetic powers. It's a lot more than that, but there are so many things in it that go on alternate storylines that I get headaches just thinking about it. Probably because I've been working on that story since 2009 *cringe*
Esmadus is actually a high fantasy planet with different continents and stories. I've spent so much time creating that place that I've pretty much made it feel like a real, living planet. I've invented anything from creation, species, colonization, cultures, religions, folklore, and interactions of 17 or so races as they interact with eachother and the different areas. It's almost like Elder Scrolls or Lord of the Rings (although definitely not as good; that would be blasphemy!)
And then my main focus is The Story of Madison, which is a six book story in Esmadus of a girl destined to save the world from destruction by the evil god Sozin. But as politics and a whole ensemble of characters just go around messing things up, it becomes a jumbled mess of drama and (hopefully) surprising plot twists. I could go on for hours about this haha but I think I'll stop there... (*cringes once more*)

Tags: