Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Arms and Weapens [Complete]

Started by chandonr, June 18, 2014, 04:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandonr

Deimos locked the door of his house as he walked out into the streets of Uthlyn. He loved the air of learning. It was the only place in all of Connlaoth where people could actually learn, and knowledge was something Deimos valued highly. The reason he had left his house is because he had thought of a weapon concept. While sitting at his work bench, he thought about a concept of a weapon that would benefit Deimos and his particular talents.

He knew that he could create weapon that of the design, but recently, Deimos had heard of rumors about an amazing blacksmith in Uthlyn. Deimos thought that maybe someone could make this weapon better than he could himself, so Deimos went out into the streets and went to the store.

He kept walking and passed a window that had a number of swords and other weapons in the window. This most be the location.. Deimos thought to himself as he knocked on the door. He opened the door after knocking and slowly walked in.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

It was a slow day, here in the shop. He didn't have any orders, and had finished all his current projects. There wasn't much to do. He was just about to close the forge early and call it a day, when he heard someone knock and enter.

"Hello!" He called out, raising his arm for the man to clasp and to bring into a split second hug, the way everyone does around here. "What brings you to my shop? How can I help you?" He asked, an easy grin on his face. He'd rather have work to do than close early, after all. Money was money!

chandonr

Deimos just stood their as the man brought him into a hug. He, being the person he is, overthinks everything. Was that hug a sign of affection? No, he probably does that to everyone..He thought to himself as walked fully inside and looked at the wears.

"Well, I'm fancy myself as an engineer and I got an idea last night about a weapon concept." He stopped walking in the center of the store. "I'm more of a hand to hand combatant myself, and then I thought about crafting a blade, the size of a dagger, that fits onto something that I can attach to my hand. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I can see it in my head." He said. He looked at man's face trying to see if it looked like her was understanding.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

An engineer? How interesting! Alex though, nodding his head as he listened intently. He wondered how this could work. Fixing a dagger to a glove or gauntlet would be too awkward and weigh his hands down. Fastening a device that would put it on top of his hand would be awkward to use...

Suddenly, his eyes practically gleamed. He had an idea. "I think I know exactly what you mean. It wouldn't even be too complicated." He went to take out some paper and charcoal, "You mean, something kind of like this, right?" He sketched out something like a pair of brass knuckles with the blade on the side. It wasn't very good, but it was just quick concept art.  "Of course, the end product would be much better, but like this, eh?"

chandonr

He could see by the man's facial expressions that the man was trying to formulate an idea through his head. Deimos continued to watch the man's face and saw where his eyes changed. Almost like a light bulb went off in his head. He followed the man to the place where he got out paper.

Deimos looked at the drawing and smiled. "This is exactly what I'm looking for.. Preferably, I would want and ' A ' on the side and a sun. Maybe in rubies if we could," He was still picturing the weapon in his head. "How long would it take you to craft such a weapon?"

Slightly Awkward New Guy

What he asked for was reasonable. Alex nodded his head thoughtfully, "A ruby? Well, if you supply your own, then yes. As for time..." He paused to think. It really depended on how much the man was willing to spend. "Well, it depends. I'll have to make a cast for it, as well as take measurements of your hands. That shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but the casting will take about half an hour. Depending on what you're willing to spend, I can..." He suddenly realizes something odd about his mouth. Declining to comment, he continues, "I can take anywhere from a day to three. Before we decide, let me measure your hands real quick."

Alex walks over to get a tape measurer, and then adds, "By the way, I noticed you're a bit high-born. How do you feel about all these magic-laws and about mages in general?" He keeps an eye on the noble to study his reply. Depending on the answer, the quality of the weapon could get evn better, with additional features.

chandonr

Deimos continued to listen to the man. He had to think if he had any jewels in his house in Uthlyn.

"Ok, I can do that. As for price, just name it. I would want this as soon as possible, so whatever you think is right..

He saw the man walk away to get something. Deimos continued to stand where he was. He heard the man's question and kept his face neutral. This wasn't infomation that he flaunted around, it was surprising that this blacksmith would even ask such a question.

"I'm neutral in the arguement, my House has yet to pledge allegiance to either side. Why do you ask?" Deimos interests were peaked, why would this man ask a question. Was he a mage? Although his mind was circling with questions, his face remained the same.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

He brought the measuring device over, and chuckled, "Oh, it's nothing. I just like to hear my customer's opinions. Personally, I think they should have rights, but to each their own!" As he measured the dimensions of the man's hands, he wrote numbers down. Finally, he was done.

He stepped back, "As for price... 50 gold should be reasonable, especially if you use your own ruby." After all, his weapons were the REALLY sharp, did't break down as easily, and all that. Plus, he wanted it done quick.

chandonr

"That's a reasonable concern, and I like to hear the opinion of others. I will take that into consideration when our House chooses a side." Deimos smiled. He liked hearing when other put their faith in the mages.

"Well go ahead and get started making the cast. I will need to go to my house and get the gold and the rubies. If there isn't anything else you need, I will be on my way then," He said, waiting to hear the blacksmiths response.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

"No, no, you're fine. Just be back by this time tomorrow. It'll be done." Alex grinned and turned to his work. He had to make the cast, then find out what metals to use and many other things. It would be a long day, but that was okay. He'd finish it to perfection. That's what Stones do!

chandonr

" Ok great. I'll bring the rubies hopefully before you close, so you can get that onto the weapon too." Deimos saw that the man started to work on the project. He nodded and walked out the door with both hands on his back.

He walked straight back to his home, where he gather the gold coins, and look for some rubies that he thought he had laying around from a previous purchase. He walked back out the house and went back to the shop.

"Here's the rubies" He sat the rubies on one of the countertops. Deimos felt excited, he always did when in the process of making something. "I don't think I ever caught your name".

Slightly Awkward New Guy

When the man came back, Alex had been in the process of of melting certain ingots to make the weapon. "Oh, welcome back!" He announced brightly as the man entered and dropped off a few rubies. Later, Alex would figure out which one would be the best to use. He had asked for his name as well. He opened his mouth and said, "Oh, I'm Alexander Stone. And you are?"

As he spoke, he continued working, heating the metal up, and keeping an eye on it all. He had already baked the clay cast for the design of the weapons, and was getting started on the actual forging soon. It'd take several hours more for everything to be set up, and the actual process would be finished at the end of the day. Then, he had to wake up early and finish the last few touches on the blade. The ruby would be set while it was still malleable.

chandonr

Deimos watched Alexander as he worked. He liked that the man could work and be personable at the same time. The main reason why Deimos did not make the weapon himself is because he was looking for someone else to be a forge for his House, maybe even a partner. Though no one would ever beat Lilla, she was not one who could build things.

"I'm Deimos Aphrodisios, nice to meet you Alexander." He said with a smile. "Well, I'll be back tomorrow to see th crafted weapon, and if it is great, we might go on to talk about other ways you can help my House, especially in the engineering field.  But for now I will be on my way,"

Deimos smiled as he walked out the door once again and went back home.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

Deimos Aphrodisios was his name? Alex wasn't familiar with his family, but he was obviously wealthy. "Take care, Mr. Aphrodisios!" Alex called out as the man left. He was pleasant enough. And repeat business was always good. As long as he wasn't stopped from working with other patrons, Alex didn't have a problem with him. Especially with unique challenges like this. Making the weapon wouldn't be difficult, but it was pretty unique. And if he needed regular things, Alex made them too. Silverware, anything metal, really.

When the man was gone, Alex returned to his work. Now alone, his work was much more obvious, gravity swiftly heating the furnace even quicker, shaping and molding and refining. It would still take time, but it would be nearly finished in about 6 hours. He'd likely close up shop, eat then head to bed at that point, to finish the thing in the morning.

chandonr

He would go to his home in Uthlyn and follow out his nightly duties. The next day would quickly come around. Deimos found himself to be preoccupied the next day. It finally came along where he had extra time to go back to Alexander's shop to pick up his weapons. He went back to his home and picked up a moderately sized satchel.

Deimos began his walk back to Alexander's store and opened the door. Deimos walked into the store and a grin formed on his face. He was excited to get his weapon.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

Early in the morning, the blacksmith had woken up to finish the weapon. Yesterday, he had finished forging it and even set the best ruby into it, and had carved what Deimos had wanted into it. Today, he used his whetstone and gravity to compress and sharpen the blade simultaneously to achieve an impossibly sharp edge while retaining enough thickness and shape to not snap.

Alex had been finished for several hours, and had not expected to see Deimos again until later. Since he hadn't come in the morning, Alex figured he'd be by tonight. Because of this, he wasn't expecting the man to walk in just as Alex was levitating an object from the wall into his hands to use. As soon as he saw Deimos walk in, he froze, and the hammer dropped to the floor with a loud clang. Eyes wide, he stared at the noble-born vampire in shock at his entrance. He didn't move a muscle.

chandonr

The loud clang rang through Deimos. He placed one finger at his ear and continued to walk in. Yes, he saw Alex levitating the object but it did not faze him. He expected that with such a question Alex asked yesterday, he was either a mage or a mage-loather. Now Deimos knows that he is the former.

"At ease Alex, you have nothing to fear from me." Deimos stood back in the center of the store as he did yesterday. "To answer your question, more honestly this time, my family is for the mages in this ridiculous conflict."

Slightly Awkward New Guy

Taking a deep breath, he exhaled slowly. Apparently, this turned out for the better. Still, it showed he needed to be more careful in the future. No more being lazy about it. He was still a little shaken, but since  the man was pro-mage, he might as well spill the beans. He smiled weakly, "Well, this could have ended up a lot worse then. At any rate, your weapons are ready." They were already near him, so he just picked them up, and handed them over.

"Well then, this opens a lot more business opportunities. As you already know, I can make some pretty nifty weapons. I'm also skilled at making them magical during the forging process. I can etch runes and enchantments inside the items themselves so that no one can immediately tell what they are. I offer various enchantments such as invisibility, light weight, heavier weight, unnaturally sharp, never rusting, and other more specialized things. I can imbue elemental affinities into weapons, and even chain runes to make ordinary objects powerful. For craftsmen, I can make objects that settle their nerves and help steady their hands as they work, and other charms for various things. I'm a well educated man, and I speak and write in many different magical languages that I learned from books my family has collected for ages."

He pauses, then continues, "Honestly, I could have made this weapon in about 5 hours. Sooner if I had more practice with it. The quality of things improves tremendously when I work at my best, which is hard to do here."

chandonr

It looked like the weight of the world was lifted after Alex realized that he wasn't going to call the guards. This made Deimos think to himself. It's sad that people have to live in fear in their own home town, just because of the way they were born. This encounter just fueled his flames even brighter, making him feel as if his need in Connlaoth was greater than ever.

"Wow you definitely seem talented in the art of blacksmithing. You sound like a great asset to have when all hell breaks loose." Deimos was running thoughts through his head. He wanted this man to be a House asset.

"I would love for you to get the mass of my House's orders for weaponry." He looked and saw how other blades were perfectly sharpened in the store. " It looks you have finished my weapons. Would it be too much to ask to have it be enchanted with a lighter weight. I can see from here they look light, but I would love for them to be as light as possible."

Deimos really didn't care for the gauntlets to be lighter, he really just wanted to see how well Alex could enchant. 

Slightly Awkward New Guy

That... that could be a lot of business. Alex was kind of pumped about it. And to lighten the... knuckle-knives? He didn't know what Deimos wanted to call them, but he'd have to ask. But to lighten them would be easy. He just had to carve the rune into it so small that it'd be almost unnoticeable. He could to it enough times, at a small size, to mimic a larger, more powerful rune, while being nearly invisible. He concentrated on them, and there was a weird keening sound for a moment as Alex flexed his powers carefully and concisely to carve the runes into the weapons. They were on the part where the knuckles met the dagger, and if you ran your finger over the area, you'd feel the tiny grooves. Suddenly, the minimal weight dropped even more. It still felt like metal, but it would flow through the air so quickly, it was as if they weren't there. Not to mention the design allowed for air resistance.

"I just carved about 20 lightening runes into it. They're really small, but together are about the size of half the average rune and have the power of two full sized runes. Usually, I do this during the forging process, and you won't ever see the runes unless you snapped it right where a rune was. When I do internal ones, I make them three dimensional. It's a special method my great grandfather developed that is kind of scary in how well they work. I don't know of anyone else who can make 3D runes, especially inside the object itself."