Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lasting Decisions [Lion]

Started by CalamityMei, August 24, 2014, 03:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalamityMei

Rose glanced down at the scarce linens in her hands, the material evidently just enough to cover her from chest to thigh. She blushed then, the public bath something she had heard of but never seen, she was nervous, heck she had only ever been seen naked by her chamber maids and mother. She clung to the material tightly, looking at Christer in disbelief.

"So, we bathe here?" As stupid as the question was she had to break the thick atmosphere that was growing between them. Of course he was her fathers bodyguards, everything was strictly professional and it wasn't like he would look her way anyways; she was a lady after all. As the seconds ticked by she didn't waste any more, she began to take the string of her basque and untie it.

Lion

Christer's face was beet red, but he tried to excuse it for them having been out in the sun in all that time of travel.  When she began to undress, he immediately sputtered and turned around.  "Uh, wait! Miss ...er, Deana, why don't I bathe first.  This way I can assure your privacy, more or less, when it is your turn," he said, holding a hand over his eyes.

Just in case.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

CalamityMei

She stopped then, looking up at him, her cheeks tinted red. "If you insist, Sir Christer." She let go of the strings tying her in place and turned away from him.

Arms folded she looked in the opposite direction, the sound of water lapping at the edge and distant voices as other people took refuge in the public baths. She would have never had thought she would be in a place such as this. Little did she know though, that her father was hot on her trail.

Lion

True the men that were sent after Rose and the bodyguard were well on their way, having been thrown from the gates in a hellish blaze.  Her father was furious, livid beyond reason, convinced that that bastard Christer had taken her.  Perhaps they were in cahoots, conspiring together to make him look the fool.  Oh they would pay!  They would pay tenfold!

Meanwhile Christer  bathed quickly, or as quickly as he could as scrubbed himself down with her back to him, dousing his hair with water and emerging when he was ready.  He smiled, sheepishly at her when it was her turn.  He blushed and bowed.  "Er,  I mean the water's ready Miss Deana.  Enjoy.  It's quite nice with this heat n all," he said.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

CalamityMei

She nodded gently, when she knew Christer wasn't looking she undressed slipping the garment off with practised ease. The water was chill at first, but warmed by the heat as she sank in, dunking her head quickly to wet her hair. She washed off the mud, scrubbing the stubborn parts that had dried. After making sure everything was in order and her hair was clean of all traces of dirt, she emerged from the water and wrapped herself in the linen provided.

"Okay, so where to next?" She scrambled for her dress, resisting the temptation to wash that in the water too. Maybe the tender would know where the best dress shop is, or the cheapest as the coin they had was beginning to dwindle.

Lion

Christer wouldn't tell her.  He didn't even want to acknowledge it himself.  But he had taken a peek at her while she was bathing, strangely finding his blushing subside for that time and he smiled found himself smiling.  When he realized it, he quickly turned away and swiped his expression clean.

Christer at last turned to her and cleared his throat, rather loudly at that.  "Aherm, I suppose the next thing on the agenda might be to find something to eat.  I don't know about you, but I could eat a horse!  A whole one!"  he smiled and laughed.  "But um...your dress looks tattered, perhaps you'd feel better in some trousers and a shirt.  Maybe it's time to ditch that dress, yes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

At the mention of food her stomach growled hungrily, she hadn't anticipated she'd ever feel this hungry, yet here she was starving and prepared to eat just about anything. She also couldn't agree more with getting rid of the awful mud stained dress, putting it back on would just defeat the point of her having a bath, but it'd have to do for now until they found spare clothing.

"I say we do both, clothing and food right now sounds amazing." She rung out the excess water in her hair, and gently dabbed herself down, removing any excess water.

After dressing into a clean blouse and breeches (to which the tender had offered to them for a small amount of coin) she found herself looking a lot more foreign to herself than first intended. No more was the noble dress or makeup upon her face. Her long tresses were hanging loosely and her skin was clean from any traces of mud. Taking a moment to collect herself, they departed the bathhouse.

Lion

Christer honestly didn't know how they were going to find proper provisions.  They didn't have an infinite amount of coin and he wasn't sure even where to first look.  There was always the thought of finding an inn.  But all the ones that were most proper for Lady Rose were out of their current budget, and the thought of them dining in a rat's den was, frankly...revolting.

Eventually there was a nice taven.  Er, nice was putting it on pretty thick.  At least the glasses were relatively clean and the floor didn't have too much blood on it.  Christer peered down at the contents of his coinpurse and frowned.  The cost of the room and food would be the rest of it and he tried not to let his hesitation get the better of him when at last he paid for it.

He quietly sat before Rose and waited for their food to arrive, hot and ready and he beamed at her, despite the sinking feeling in his stomach.  "Let's eat!" he said and began to scarf down his beef stew.  He paused abruptly, remembering he was in the presence of a lady and he slowed down, wiping his mouth with a grey napkin and clearing his throat.  "Excuse me!  I'm sorry I'm eating like a pig!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

To see him eat so eagerly set a warmth in her as she smiled. She had realised it was her fault he was dragged along in all of this, she knew he would feel the wrath of her father if he were to return, but what if he didn't? What if he stayed and accompanied her? She shook her head, there was no way she could expect that of him.

"It's fine, honestly." She offered a smile and began tucking in to her own stew, the rich gravy sliding down a treat. It was then she turned as the door opened, and her heart froze, her eyes didn't move from the recognisable armour of her fathers soldiers. They did a once over of the room, and she abruptly turned back her heart thumping loudly in anticipation.

Somehow, they had missed them and went up to the bar, talking idly with the owner, showing him a parchment which she couldn't make out. She looked at Christer in earnest, worry filling her gaze. "We need to leave." Or hide, either one sounded great right now.

Lion

Christer was in the middle of eating when she told them it was time to depart.  Christer looked up at her, bewildered and looked about.  "But we just got here," he said.  "I just started eating. I...I...I already paid for the room.  That was the last of my coin."

His voice turned to a harsh whisper when at last he saw the armor of the men and realized he bore their same cuirass, and style of armor.  They'd recognize him sure as day, but Christer was at a loss of what to do.  "Just act natural," he said at last.  "Maybe they won't notice us."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She felt guilt as he mentioned the last of his coin, and she withdrew from her frigid stance. Instead she hunched over and gave a mixture of an apologetic and guilty glance. "I am sorry Christer, for dragging you into this." She spoke just above a whisper, worried that she'd be heard by the men who were still casually scanning the premises, she could overhear them, barking loudly at patrons to the whereabouts of a lady and a man travelling together, what they wore and what they looked like.

She shook gingerly, the mens footsteps slowly approaching towards their table as they made passes at each one before theirs. All that was running through her head was that she'd have to go back, go back to a noble family who would probably want nothing more than to see her writhe in a miserable marriage. But what about Christer? She had never considered what would happen to him, her father had the power to have someone executed, especially if it were...kidnapping.

The whole situation was about to take a sour turn and she could feel herself falling on the brink of making a decision. She wasn't a Lady any more...she had to fight for her and Christers survival, she couldn't afford to be a liability.

Lion

The was when he felt it.  That poke on his shoulder where his pauldrons used to be and Christer blinked and looked up in the face of the man looking for him.  The man didn't seem to recognize him right away, at least not  yet.  Thankfully most people here in the tavern seemed to want to mind their own business.

"Yes?" he said, trying to appear as if he were nobody out of the ordinary sitting there in a tavern in Uthlyn. 

"You.  Get up.  Now," the man growled.

"What seems to be the problem?" he asked, furrowing his brows.  "Who are you?"

"Get up!" he said and kicked the chair out from underneath Christer.  He stumbled backwards, his legs flailing up into the air and he rolled back.  It was a dirty move and fighting instinct made Christer's hand reach for his blade, but he did not draw it.

"NO! NO FIGHTING IN HERE!" cried the man from behind the desk and waved his arms wildly, opening the door.  "OOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUT!  OR I'M CALLING THE GUARD!"

Christer stood back, pulling Rose along with him, standing just ahead of her as the mercenaries turned to Christer and the old man then to Rose.  "This isn't over."  And they soon departed.

Christer felt his blood running hot with unused adrenaline and he looked over at the older man and apologized.  "I'm so sorry," he said, pointing to the ruined chair.  "I...I can fix it.  I promise."

The old man waved his arms.  "No.  Don't bother.  You stay your night here and then leave.  I never want to see you here again."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

The whole scenario happened so quickly, and all she could do was watch the scenes play out in front of her. The mans voice held a terrifying growl at the end of each sentence and each time he shouted, each time Rose jumped slightly. She should be used to the shouting, her father did enough of it to her, but the fact that Christer grew protective and made sure she was put out of harms way, it was equally a relief as it was hurtful, she hated feeling useless, she hated being scared of trivial things.

As the men left relief washed over her and she couldn't help but tenderly, the gentlest of touches, brush her hand against Christers arm. "Christer?" Her voice faltered ever so slightly, but she cleared her throat, an attempt to steady herself. "Are you alright?" She released her hand from his arm, dropping it to her side.

Perhaps now was a good idea to turn in for the night, for the morning would hold nothing but trouble.

Lion

Christer simply nodded, although he didn't feel all right.  It wasn't her problem anyway.  He did realize, however, that much of this predicament was largely her fault.  If only she swallowed her pride and gone back to her loud, rancorous father, none of this would be happening.  But he said nothing and instead burned in his own shame, at the fact that he didn't even perform the duties he'd been trained to do.

He was a coward, he knew that.  He knew what those men came here for.  In fact, he gave great consideration to letting them take her.  He could just say he followed her to keep an eye on her and he had every intention of returning her home.  He couldn't say that he went along with it.  It just wasn't done after all.  Bodyguards didn't run off with the daughters of Nobles and distinguished men.  He was a fool and he had to put it right.

Or things would just go downhill from here.

And yet, he was torn.  When at last they returned to their room, Christer laid on the floor, staring up at the ceiling and frowning.  "What do we do?" he asked.  "When they come back?  We can't outrun them.  We have no money and no rides.  We can't beg everywhere we go, it isn't done."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

There was so much unfamiliar silence between them, she sat on the bed, her legs up to her chest and her hands circled around them. She listened to him speak, breaking the thick quiet in the air, and she seethed inwards, his voice held something that caused her to feel heavy.

"You know...I...considered going back." She mumbled as she looked down at her legs, her mind dizzying with so many thoughts, what she should do, and what she shouldn't. "I also considered abandoning you in the night...again." Her mind was rampant, she just needed to think, to vent in a way. "And I equally considered...other things." She buried her face in her legs, unsure of what to say and what to do.

"What am I meant to say? What am I meant to do? There are so many things I don't know." She winced at the thought of her father scowling at her in disappointment, in fuming anger. She was lost now, maybe turning herself in would be the best outcome for everyone, she'd marry, have children and be a wife to a man she did not love nor care for. She just had to live the life she had been living up to this point but in another household.

She was truly lost.

Lion

It didn't help that Christer had no idea what to do either.  Ideally, they would return to her father as soon as possible and hopefully, because they were contrite, her father would feel it in his heart to show mercy to them.  And yet, what if those mercenaries sent a messenger ahead of them?  Ansgar knew what he would say first!  Christer was suddenly horrified at the realization that returning, even now, might not go well.

What if they accused him to kidnapping her?  What if they executed him?  Christer sat up suddenly and turned to Rose.  Perhaps it was ungentlemanly of him to be more terrified for himself than for her - that wasn't to say there wasn't at least some mild concern for her, it was after all her idea.  Nevertheless...

"I do not think...it would be wise to return," he said gently.  "Those men.  Who knows what they'll tell your father.  If you did, it's just as likely that you'd be thrown into the stockade and humiliated, as forced to wed your fiancĂ©.  As for me, well, I don't even want to think about it."  Because he'd given it a LOT  of thought.

Christer motioned to her hand.  "What about that?" he said.  "Your engagement ring.  We need money, if we're going to continue journeying.  And I'm all out.  I...  Ah, no, what am I saying!  You can't sell  your ring.  Oh, I shouldn't've even suggested it.  It's a stupid idea, sorry."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She nodded reluctantly in agreement. She was completely torn between her head and her heart, what she should do and what she wanted to do, it was all giving her quite the headache. She placed a hand on her head to stem the throbbing that caused her thoughts to stop running at a million miles per hour.

At the mention of her engagement ring she immediately looked down, and with renewed vigor jumped off the bed. "Yes, yes! That's excellent, I completely forgot about it." For the first time since running, a genuine grin flashed across her face at the very thought of gaining a few coin, with that they should be able to travel further, gain more supplies, fend for themselves a while longer, the ring after all...wasn't cheap.

She realized she was getting ahead of herself, they had to find a merchant willing to pay a suitable price for it and that was if, IF her fathers men didn't come back. Sighing she sat back on the bed, her thoughts getting the better of her once again. "You know, I never wanted any of this." She didn't intend for Christer to hear nor did she intend to say it out loud, she was naturally a selfless person but so far she felt she had been nothing more than selfish to Christer.

She owed him her selflessness and gratitude at the very least.

Lion

Christer scowled a little bit, uncertain as to what she meant.  "Didn't want what?" he asked, peering at her quizzically.  "To run off into the rain on a dark and stormy night like a bad fairy tale?  Or to drag me along in your little venture?  You have to be more specific, considering all the trouble I'm getting into for you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

His harsh tone made her look at him now, an uncertain look upon her face, anger was boiling up from everything that had happened from her childhood to now.

"By all means, you can leave whenever you want to. I never dragged you along." Her jaw was locked in annoyance and heat rising to her face as she wanted so much to shout at him but kept a levelled tone. If he knew, if he even understood what her future husband was like, what was expected of her, she was sure he would even back out.

She stood from the bed now, pacing the room by the door. "Besides, your obligation is to my father not to me. I am quite capable on my own." Now she was lying, if anything she was the bait for any group of thugs to prey on, but her mouth was running away, if she were to speak to her father like this, it would be the back of his hand across her face before she could even spout another word.

Lion

Christer barked a mocking laugh.  "Hah!  And just how far do you think you could've gotten without me?" he said with a frown.  His tone softened, considering he probably couldn't that far himself.  He might have been a knight.  But he was made for castle walls and standing in corners looking menacing.  He'd never been outside in the world at large, not travelling long distance, not looking for beds at inns.  He was just an invalid as she was when it came to trying to fend for oneself.  Except he had less tenacity.

"And for your information, my oath is to your father, and by extension to you.  What kind of guard would I be if I let you run off then you get yourself killed?  If I came back without you, I'd surely hang.  Even if I came back WITH you, I'd probably hang.  So you see, maybe you didn't literally drag me along, but you know a lady cannot travel unescorted.  It just isn't done!  THIS isn't done.  I shouldn't even be sleeping in the same room with you, but I didn't have enough money for another.  But I swore an oath, and I'll be damned if I don't see that through.  So you may think your actions don't affect anyone else but yourself, but you're wrong."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn