Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beast of the Tundra [open]

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 19, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcarusDescension

Aguta winced, hating the situation. He respected Ilvenath's bravery and his decision, and most importantly he recognized the man's determination. Which left him feeling all the more conflicted. Not for the first time he waited a moment for his companions' input, but the mage and the assassin were staying silent, and Erathgar had already left the building.

"Well I can't say that I like the idea of splitting up at all - because I don't. It seems to me that this undead mage of ours hasn't left her liar yet and probably won't anytime soon. If we don't want to face them both together, we could just as easily wander off into the tundra the five of us with the orb and see if the bear shows up. If it didn't, we'd still be back to plan 'A.'"

He exhaled then, glancing darkly at the deceptively fragile looking viewing sphere. "But then the blasted lich has been one step ahead of me from the start so maybe I shouldn't be so sure of my instincts, and you're right - time is a problem...

"Aw what the hell, if you're sure about this, then I'll volunteer to be the one to come with you. We can wander into the tundra a ways, you can set up a few of those traps you mentioned, and if the beast doesn't have the courtesy to show its face in a timely manner we can make our best pace to the caves and hope we're not too late to be of help. How does that sound?"
He hated the prospect of never getting the chance to pay back the mage for what she had done to him, but he simply wouldn't stay silent and let the man potentially face that beast alone - and no one else present was volunteering.

Of course he was also curious as to what Slithix wanted to share, but he knew whatever it was the man wasn't about to spill it while the orb was in the room. He hoped that if it was important enough that the group should hear it before they do anything the mysterious man would give some indication. If not, then he would assume the matter could be discussed en route.

He looked to the three others still present, hoping he had struck upon a good compromise.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide shrugged nonchalantly. "Sounds good to me." was all the ice mage said.

She handled the ice necklace around her neck a little more before letting it fall back onto her chest, glancing at Aguta once before her gaze turned to the assassin, giving him a scowl. She decided she was going to walk behind the masked man, not in front as she wanted to keep an eye on him. And avoid any potential backstabbing.

Slithix

"Enjoying the view?" Slithix laughed noticing the obvious distaste towards him from the mage. She never would trust him and he shared the same views concerning her or at least he made it look like he did in order to keep the arrogant yet confident guise. However there were more pressing issues to attend. The shape shifter was leaving to fight his own battle, and Slithix chose to abstain from commenting anything serious about the decision "After all it's your choice" Any further comment might have led to even more unnecessary bickering so they were left out.

Noticing that the weather around the tundra was pretty neutral in regards to what it could be, Slithix was pretty hasty about moving out before it got any worse."So we should really start continuing our trek through the snow, you never know what we might find. Some caves, maybe some extraordinary wildlife, a few mages or two. Who knows we might even find such an experienced spell caster who could summon a few friends or change the weather at any moment. Either way, you, Blondie, behind me. You better be able to keep up, or you might find yourself buried under this ever growing pile of snow."

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath exhaled, visibly relieved that he wouldn't have to face the creature all by himself, afterall.

"Don't worry, Aguta. Huntin' bears is like eating cake", he jested, though his chuckle seemed uncertain and frail. He tapped his temple with his left index. "I already got an idea or two 'bout this issue - But it'll take a little prep'ration. We'll need pointed logs, trapwire... Prob'ly th' smartest to get some actual beartraps." He was already storming off and halfway through the door when a faint "and blankets!", could be heard.

Ilvenath limped unexpectedly quick through the streets towards the marketplace despite the snow falling heavier and heavier, rushing to still make it to the people packing up the wrecked stalls and what was left of their wares. He even came across one of the healers from yesterday who offered him one of the last healing potions for his leg, which he gladly accepted.

Eventually he crossed paths with the local bowmaker who had the crossbow from yesterday on display. Ilvenath even passed him a few coins to repay him for the weapon and a few broadheaded arrows. The projectiles would tear terrible wounds to the beast and perhaps slow it down.

It was something around early noon that the Danaan returned with a sled ladden with logs, iron spikes, shovels and pickaxes and other materials. He seemed ready to build a fort.

He breathed heavily as he turned to Aguta: "So... You think I forgot something?"

IcarusDescension

"I don't know," Aguta replied warily to his tailed companion. "Normally I don't order my cake with quite so much tooth and claw." He favored the man with a lopsided smile all the same. "But as long as you got a plan..."

As the group went their separate ways, Aguta made sure to take a moment to explain their plan to Erathgar who was still waiting outside, before wishing the man the best of luck. He took a moment to offer similar wishes to Adelaide, but stopped at an uncomfortable nod and slitted eyes in the direction of Slithix.

He found his gaze lingering on the white haired mage briefly as they split up. Everything about the woman, from her pale skin and blue eyes to her silver robe, seemed born of the snow & ice. Combined with the subtle confidence in her bearing, Aguta was struck for a moment with the impression of watching the very spirit of the snowy tundra incarnated.

It occurred to him then that it had been his random impulse to follow the woman that had led him to his present circumstances to begin with. Though he found himself wanting to again, this time he could not. Be well, he voiced in his head, and may the three of you take vengeance for all of us, and the people of Fox Bend besides... He had to smile at himself as he turned away. And while we're on the subject of tall orders, how about digging up an elixir of eternal life while you're out there...

Some short while later Aguta stood inspecting the impressively laden sled. His eyebrows shot up. "Forgot something? I'd say we're ready to fight a war." Considering his statement, he shrugged again. "So yeah that looks about right..."

He looked at Ilvenath with renewed respect. "I'm glad one of us put some thought into this. -Here let me take a shift with this thing..." Taking the sled's ropes he decided he would give the other man's ankle as much chance to recover as he could on their trip out into the tundra. "If I ever need to take on an entire country single-handed by the way, remind me to look you up."

Pointing East, he shrugged again. "That way look good?"

DarkAndar

His eyes drifted away from the building that housed the wounded of Fox Bend, away from the all-too familiar woman in its doorway and those topaz eyes. He wondered if Telesi would mourn him as she did her dead husband. Probably not. What honor could a tribeless wanderer earn in the afterlife, after all? One that could not even fulfill the blood oath to his friends. There was some comfort in dying for something that meant something to others. And there was always the fight.

If this was to be his last stand, he would do it in battle - doing that which he loved more than life itself. Loved more than family, he understood only too well. If he did not crave it - if such bloodletting was not woven into his very soul - would he not then live as other men did? Hang up his spear and live here perhaps, with Telesi. If he did not get some sick pleasure from it he'd still be with his tribe - still with Navassha. Her beauty stirred his lower regions even now, after many years. Erathgar would never have it said there was a prettier woman in all the frozen north - hell, in all the world even.

His thoughts were interrupted when Knives limped out of the tavern. Though Erathgar hailed him, the man seemed eager to leave on whatever business he had planned before they departed, and paid him no heed. The barbarian scratched the growth of red beard on his chin. He would never understand that one. Knives had honor for his family and fought bravely - that was enough for Erathgar. It wasn't his place to question a man's sanity. He after all, was no one to judge.

Some minutes later, Aguta stepped out. The man Erathgar took for the brains of this outfit. Though perhaps, in truth, the quiet mage woman, Adelaide, may have been the smartest when it came to sums and arcane knowledge. Absent was the charisma needed to lead though. Aguta seemed to have some of that, though even he looked unwilling to the task at times. Erathgar knew himself to be no leader. He left such things to wiser folk than he. In his tribe he had enforced the chief's will. He did it well and enjoyed it even more when others opposed it.

The Elkfire man clapped Aguta on the shoulder and greeted him warmly. "We have discussed the hunt long enough, aye? Words alone will not kill the beast or the witch," he said. There was always that thirsting need to fight - to kill - nagging at him.

He frowned to hear the news Aguta related. Now he understood why Knives had stormed out. The crazy fool desired to meet the maker for his failure to save his sister. Erathgar shook his head sadly. The honorable Aguta, of course, could not let the man wander out to die alone, in the cold unforgiving tundra. Erathgar judged himself best suited to the task of fighting the beast, for that was a purely physical confrontation. Certainly Aguta, who had been the only one to actually see this witch cave, would be better suited in the task of finding it and navigating its tunnels.

He would also be bunched with two of his least favorites of the group. He respected the mage now that they had fought together in defense of Fox Bend. But respect wasn't trust. She spoke less than anyone else and that gave him cause to be suspicious. What was she playing at? Did she have some ulterior motive for seeking out this dark evil place? Then there was that altogether sneaky man spinning his far fetched tales. He looked forward to his company least of all. Everything about that one was false.

Erathgar only nodded though. It wasn't his place to question decisions. Better to go with the flow of things and offer encouragement than piss and moan about how things had to be. "Ancestors guide you, friend," he said to Aguta in parting. 

The barbarian needed no further preparations to travel. He awaited Adelaide and Slithix to announce their desire to be off.

Battle was near - he could taste it.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath gladly handed the reigns of the sled to Aguta and, after following his fingerpoint, nodded in agreement. "We should keep walking for about an hour - We'll be far 'nough from the village to be in mostly unhunted territory. That'll hopefully keep travellers and other hunters away from our little trap, and also we might come across a better spot to set our ambush."

Shouldering his backpack, he turned towards the rest of the group. "Well, then, Ice Queen - Been a lov'ly time. If I see you again after this, maybe I'll eventually see you smile for once", he teased Adelaide before adressing Erathgar, "an' you, big buddy. Don't die, alright? I owe ya a proper drink", his expression became more serious,"we'll toast to Niirma and your dead, as well."

Finally, he turned towards Slithix. His jaws tensed while he still curiously eyed the ominous stranger of whom he could not make sense as of yet. "I guess I don't have to tell you what I think about you... If it even matters right now. So here's something else: You better take care of these two. You say we need you to kill that undead witch or else we'll all die - Prove that we really do need you and don't let them die."

With these final words, Ilvenath bit his lip and nodded to his companions as parting gesture. He shouldered his backpack and trodded out of Fox Bend, wincing every time he stepped on his hurt leg. The healing potions and salves from yesterday helped mightily, the fracture must have been nearly recovered by now - But the stinging pain wouldn't leave for a long while. He fought against the pain and made his way through the increasingly heavy snow fall, plowing through the muddied road and piles of snow until they eventually went off-road.

"Let's take a break, here. I guess we're good in time", he estimated and took a waterskin off the sled, carefully drinking the ice cold water. The sensation made him shudder and his face went sour. "I guess you can't really make it not cold up here..." He turned towards Aguta and offered him the waterskin. "We've been walking a good while, now. Keep up your strength - It's only going to get more difficult, now. If you want, I can pull the sled for a while, now." Waiting for Aguta to take the waterskin, another thought came to mind.

"Y'know - Th' two of us're prob'ly going to get really roughened up. Killed, even. I seen you at th' tavern in Hyoite, once or twice. But apart from that, I barely know anythin' 'bout ya."

IcarusDescension

Aguta took the waterskin with a nod of thanks, quenching his thirst as he looked around them at the vast whiteness of the great northern tundra. It was a desolate land in many ways, harsh and unforgiving. Yet he could not help but admire the timeless beauty of its rolling slopes and the occasional jutting crags and peaks. A land that would never age; hiding stories and mysteries of millennia beneath an endless blanket of white.

Relinquishing the ropes to the sled, he offered them gratefully. "I won't argue, but let me know if your ankle starts to bother you." He frowned, realizing his own ankle wasn't exactly appreciating the treatment either.

Taking a seat on a nearby boulder, he listened to Ilvenath's second remark. The cold wind tugged gently at his hair and bit at his exposed skin as he pondered his companion's words. At least if this was to be his last day he would spend it beneath an open sky and, surprisingly, he would face that end with another. It surprised him to realize that somewhere in the back of his mind he had always assumed he would die alone.

A melancholy smile played across his lips. "Truth is there's not much to know. I left the family who raised me, my people and my home, without even saying goodbye. Since that day I've never really let myself stay in one place long enough to look back. Wasted a lot of the years since drowning myself in drink and scraping by on what I could hunt and trap. I guess the only place I ever felt like I really belonged is out here," he gestured vaguely to the open tundra around them and the vastness of the sky. "Never really know where I'm goin' or what I'm lookin' for... Myself perhaps... My purpose?" He shrugged. "Maybe I'll figure it out one day."

He looked at the other man. "I'm not sure I ever said it by the way, but I'm sure sorry about your sister. We'll see that bear paid back for what it's done, one way or the other... You have any other family waiting for you somewhere?"

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath was a little surprised as the question came, though he quickly realised that he should have expected it. He chuckled and took a deep gulp from the waterskin before turning to Aguta.

"Yeah, I have. My li'l brother Foori is in Hyoite, right now... Prob'ly gettin' yelled at from the innkeep. Apart from him... I don't know. My family's all over th' place", he began, weighing whether he should open up this much to an outsider. However, this outsider had opened up to him and deserved as much, as well as Aguta might probably have been the only company he might have had in his death. "When I was young, my home was attacked. Foori and I ran and got separated from our family... Truth is I don't even know how many survived. I spent the past years tryin' t' find them, or just about anybody from my village back then. I did find some distant relatives here and there, but they got their own worries t' take care of - I don't think they'll spend many tears on me," he concluded sarcastically.

He looked up at the sun vanishing more and more behind clouds and falling snow. "We'll better be on our way. The snowfall is gonna help us... I think." He pulled the sled after him and waded through the kneehigh piles of white flakes that lay off-road, each step sending fiery stings through his leg. He fought against the pain, too proud to admit his injury and letting it prevent him from doing his part.

Eventually, they arrived at a small pinegrove protected by rocks with only one entrance big enough for an armoured bear, Ilvenath estimated. "This is going t' be th' spot. Let's get going - Th' beast is prob'ly on our trail, already", the Danaan ordered and began to unload the sled. "So, here's th' plan...", he started to explain while putting some logs aside, "we'll set up some falling traps right above that entrance", he pointed to two rocks standing about five feet apart, "and hopefully that'll trap th' beast inside. With these", he tossed two large iron bearstraps into the snow, "we'll clamp th' monster tight an' hopefully it'll bleed really good. That'll make our job easier." After explaining the first setup, he grabbed a roll of rope and held it to Aguta. "I guess you can climb better'n I can, so you'll go up there and make nooses. We'll try to ensnare th' Beast. If we still got time, we'll tie the ropes to rocks, which we'll drop off th' other side. Maybe they can help us."

Finally, he grabbed the last log still loaded. "Meanwhile, I'll point these logs into spikes. Those're gonna be our falling traps. If they don't cage the beast - Maybe they'll impale it." Pulling a machete from his belt, he nodded to Aguta. "All clear?"

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide only glared at the assassin and stormed past him outside. She couldn't stand to be in his presence any longer than she had to-although considering the three of them, her, Erathgar and Slithix were paired together to go find the undead mage's lair, avoiding him would be pretty much impossible. Especially since they had to rely on each other for support. This fight after all wasn't going to be easy. Adelaide could only hope that her meager ice magics were enough to faze the powerful fire mage they were up against. She didn't care to think of the alternative.

She watched Aguta and Ilvenath go off on their bear-trapping mission and found herself wishing they would be successful. Fighting both beast and evil mage at the same time was not something she wanted to endure. She wasn't sure what to think of Aguta's words to the masked assassin with them-he seemed to genuinely care about the lot of them. Well, minus the assassin that is. No one really cared about him. Adelaide shook her head and refocused on the task at hand.

Making sure she had both her mana potion and magic book firmly in her bag of belongings, she double-checked the magic necklace clasped around her neck to ensure it was firmly in place. It shouldn't be too hard to activate the magical item when the time called for it, as she was very much familiar with the arcane word for "blizzard." Granted it wasn't a spell she could actually cast yet from her own energy, but given time...

Readjusting the gray cloak over her shoulders, she gazed evenly at the other two in a silent query to see if they were ready to continue on with this mission that was both thrilling and terrifying. And of course, stay behind Slithix as a precautionary measure so she could watch for any funny movements from him that he may decide to inflict on their little group. It seemed that the Elkfire man was content to lead the way, if she was not mistaken. Let him, she decided. Adelaide wasn't a warrior like he was, so staying in the back was definitely safer. So long as nothing attacked from the back...

Slithix

"I hope you are enjoying the view back there ice princess" Slithix grinned as he continued to follow Erathgar into the ever growing snow which continued for miles all around. This didn't bother him too much thanks to his fairly warm overalls and the fact he was looking forward to this adventure with a strange sense of glee unlike the rest of the group. A caged animal ready to escape, and at this stage of the journey he had told so many tales regarding himself he forgot which one to believe. Even he didn't know which ones were true and it didn't really matter in regards to the opinions of his peers.

"Well anyway you two regardless of whether or not you are as cold as ice or a moving tower, I imagine you would need some sleep or food or whatever you do to garner some energy. Nightfall will soon be upon us, and I don't see much taverns 'round here. Now unless your some kind of machines I propose we go search for some food and a suitable place to rest, or we could just walk to our deaths. Your choice!"

Ethereal-Star

As Adelaide followed behind the two men, she concentrated on both paying attention to her surroundings as well as the infuriating man just up ahead of her. She didn't trust him and she really was getting irritated at his constant "I hope you're enjoying the view" comments. As though the 'view' was supposed to be pleasant! Adelaide snorted in derision at this and gave yet another glare to the assassin's back, almost hoping he would betray them so she could put a conjured ice dagger through his back. But of course, that would do them more harm than good. Needless injuries and one less party member was not the key to success.

Still she couldn't help but observe his posture with suspicion. The ice mage could not see his face, what with being behind him and the mask in place too, but if she didn't know any better she would have thought this whole 'kill the bear and mage' quest was something he was getting a kick out of if the bounce in his step was anything to indicate as such. Scowling, Adelaide took that moment to look away from him and around at the white landscape which surrounded them. She once again felt peace by looking at all the immaculate white, the soft color reminiscent of bliss and purity. It was here in which she felt the most at home. Therefore this mission was important so she could continue to wander the tundra in safety and not worry about evil bears and undead lich girls attacking from out of nowhere. And to think just some days before, she hadn't even given the whole rumors any credence! How quickly that changed when the bear decided to attack the village. Adelaide couldn't help but feel sorry for the villagers who had perished, but she was very glad she was not one of them. Life was still in her and she intended to keep it that way.

At Slithix's rather rude suggestion that they find somewhere to rest and some food to eat, Adelaide nearly scowled again but realized he had a point. They did need to stop as nightfall was steadily approaching. And Adelaide's stomach was doing a bit of rumbling, reminding her she hadn't eaten in awhile. In fact the last meal she had had was at the Fox Bend tavern the other day. Doing a quick check of her bag, she found she had a small pouch of dried berries and nuts but that was all. Something more substantial was needed.

As if on cue, a white tundra boar sauntered on by, seeming almost to blend in with its environment, gray-brown eyes staring at them with wariness as it pondered whether or not to stay or go. Adelaide looked at the animal and her stomach further rumbled in response. But then there was the question about cooking the meat once they had it. Did they really have the time to cook a whole boar and eat it while trying to locate a powerful magic-user's lair? Regardless, a stop was needed no matter how brief. The cold was not so much of a problem for Adelaide so a fire was not terribly important yet she was sure her companions did not share her cold resistant abilities or cold resistant gear. Apart from the obvious fur and cloaks that is.

The boar continued to stare at them, before making the quick decision to flee. It started running away, and Adelaide hesitated. So she looked at her companions to note their reactions.

IcarusDescension

Aguta wiped sweat from his brow despite the chill tundra air and falling snow. He realized with a frown that it had been a while since he had done any real climbing or heavy lifting. Judging from his out breath state, he decided it had been a bit *too* long in fact.

From his vantage point on one of the massive earthen formations which made their little copse so defensible he had an excellent view of the sun as it stretched out its last magnificent rays across the open landscape.

It had been a full evening's work digging in their fortifications, and now that darkness was setting in there was little to do but hope that they had done enough. The hunter's frown deepened to an outright scowl at the thought of facing the formidable bear with darkness against them as well but there was nothing to be done about it.

Grudgingly, he climbed carefully and slowly back down into their little grove. "Still no sign of the bear," he reported as he climbed. "I was going to stay up there and keep watch but I'm not sure there's any point now. The last rays of the sun are already fading. At least it gave us time to finish getting ready..."

At least, as ready as we can be...

DarkAndar

Image removed. Please read our art usage policy. Thank you!

It was a natural occurrence for Erathgar to assume the lead as guide on their journey. Before parting ways with Aguta and Knives, he garnered general directions to the reputed cave of witchery. Travel by foot would take roughly a day, if weather held. On the other hand, if they encountered flurries en route, they could very well be looking at twice that duration. Thankfully, the skies looked clear when the group set out. A pristine blue with only the occasional drifting snow flake to cut the blue and white horizon.

His long legs adeptly carried him through the snows, leather boots crunching a path for the others to trudge through. The sun crawled across the sky with each mile they strode. At one point the barbarian knelt, the others coming to a halt when he indicated rather large paw prints in the snow. Even to someone unskilled in the art of tracking, it was an obvious bear track. Though difficult to tell if it belonged to the cursed monstrosity that had wrecked havoc on Fox Bend. The large depressions scattered away east, away from their southerly destination. Erathgar seemed to examine the footprints for short minutes, prodding at them with his fingertips and even bending over to sniff a few times as well.

"Just a normal bear. The claws do not match," he concluded, pushing off his thighs to come to a stand. He doubted it was possible for the creature they had fought to have recovered from its extensive injuries so quickly, and so the absence of blood was evidence enough. Still, Erathgar was wary. This abomination of a spirit that could control one terrible beast, why not others? Sea-green eyes turned to Adelaide, regarding her a moment. He said nothing though. He wanted to ask her how likely it was their witch could enslave other animals to her services. But at the last moment, he decided it could wait and would only cause unnecessary worry. His gaze switched over to Slithix. The mysterious man seemed to always be in happy spirits. As if the prospect of death were somehow amusing. Erathgar did not fear death either, hell he invited the invitation of battle, but he did not find it a game, it was a release. He nodded, peering back to Adelaide who hid any sort of emotion from her features. She looked reserved, but determined to see their quest through, he decided. "We continue," he said simply, turning about and plodding onward, south.

The sun continued its trek westward, its light fading behind distant mountaintops, painting them a vibrant crimson. The snows seemed to be tinged with its bleeding light, which only served to remind Erathgar how he hungered for the fight. The blood craze of battle. The group's footsteps trailed away behind them for a unbroken stretch. It was becoming increasingly difficult to make out any signs in the terrain, as the ruddy glow of sunset turned into the gray of early night. There was only that unending tundra, and a heavy breeze that promised a cold night in the absence of the sun's warmth. Fiery locks wavered in the breeze and he turned to the others, their shadowy faces hard to make out in the dimming light. Like Adelaide, as distasteful as it was to have to agree with Slithix, the man's complaints were logical enough.

"Aye. He speaks the truth. Slithix, I am not opposed to a fire if you can find kindling in those trees," he said, pointing to the west where a copse of pitiful looking trees erected from the ground like skeletal arms. "We can make camp there as well," he said, scanning the snowy terrain thoughtfully whilst he stole a swallow from his wineskin. "For your bellies, I do have some dried meat - though only enough for a single night."

Noticing something had caught the mage's attention, he followed her line of sight to what she discovered. A white tundra boar with dangerous looking tusks was nuzzling heaps of snow nearby, its narrow set eyes having spotted them, it gave a snort and began to scamper off. Erathgar pushed his wineskin into Slithix's arms, freed his spear from its harness and let out a savage "whoop". Bursting into motion, he took a few leaping bounds before launching his spear through the air. What lingering light remained, glinted off the silver haft and gold runes as it whistled through the crisp air, only trailing the beast for a few seconds before catching it up, the sharp point drove into the swine's flank, felling it instantly. Erathgar rushed over to quickly put an end to the kicking and squealing.

Hours later the party were arranged around a merry blaze, sinking teeth into juicy charred pork. What was left of the boar hung upon a spit over the flickering flames. The fire crackled and popped, sending sparks into the frigid night sky above their campsite. They all lay huddled together amid blankets and traveling gear. A depression of slush marked the area closest to their fire, serving as a pit. Erathgar only wished they had brought some ale along with them to go with the tasty pig. He was also in very good spirits. Roaring with laughter even at some of Slithix's commentary. Suckling the grease from his fingers, he said, "Tomorrow we will slay the dead witch. And we shall return to Fox Bend where are friends Aguta and Knives await us, with the head of the beast mounted on the gates for all to see!" The barbarian chuckled. He hoped the gods favored their missing comrades, for they would need every ounce of luck to survive the encounter with the monster - just as they too would require the ancestors aid to defeat the sorceress.

Erathgar found himself wanting to know more about the strangers he had in his company. He knew next to nothing about them. "Adelaide. You are a mage. I am curious, why did you come to these lands?" he asked, truly interested in her reasoning for leaving the civilized far behind her on her travels to enter the unforgiving domain. "Slithix, you are a strange man. How did you come to be here? Do you have family?"

They would need as much rest as possible if they were going to be worth a damn against the witch. Thus, they set up a watch where one person would keep a vigilant eye over the camp whilst the others got what sleep they could. The watch was set for three hour intervals each. Erathgar nominated himself first on watch duty while the others bundled up for a cold night. He fed the fire occasionally, peering about the small grove of trees. Despite his immunity to the cold, he pulled his furs more tightly about him. The howl of the wind was a freezing bitter breath. When he got tired of sitting, he routinely walked the perimeter of their camp, gazing out across the expanse of tundra. Nothing that he could see, stirred on the horizon. It was as if they were the only beings in existence in all the wide world. The tundra had a way of making a man feel very very small. Even a man of Erathgar's size. Upon returning to the fire, he saw something sticking out of the snow by one of the skeletal trees. Wandering over, he stooped low, tugging it free. It was a femur bone. Human by the looks of it. Tossing it away, he noticed another mound beside the base of another tree. Moving quickly over to it, he brushed the snow aside to discover a rib cage encased in the frost. The barbarian's eyes widened then. He knew something was amiss. The place was cursed.

As if on cue, a crunching sound exploded nearby him, a skeletal hand emerged from the snow, bony fingers trying to reach for him. Erathgar let out a roar to alarm his comrades. "Waaaake up! The dead rise!"

Ethereal-Star

Being a practitioner of ice magic, Adelaide was not nearly as affected by the cold as the others were. In addition to her increased endurance, both robes she owned were enchanted to further resist cold weather. They had been expensive to obtain, however they were well worth it, even if Adelaide still didn't have nearly as much coin as before. And that had been a year or two ago. The ice rod she owned had also been expensive but she carried it proudly, and with confidence. One day, Adelaide would meet her goal of becoming a powerful ice mage, more than what she was now. And she would revel in it every step of the way. It was her fondest dream it was, well aside from adventurous pursuits here and there. Like the one they were on now. If anything, this journey would make her even stronger than she is now, more experienced and knowledgeable about her craft. It was yet another reason she had chosen to accompany the others on this lich-slaying quest.

As the trio sat around the fire eating the roasted boar Erathgar had killed for their dinner, Adelaide munched on the pork slowly, her features thoughtful and pensive as she once again became lost in her own thoughts. Her reverie was interrupted by the barbarian who had asked her why she came to be here. What her story was. The ice mage finished chewing her latest mouthful of juicy meat, and she had to admit it was rather tasty, better than nuts and hardtack all the time. Wiping her mouth on her sleeve, Adelaide pondered on how best to answer his question. She wasn't one for extravagant tale-telling so she kept it brief.

"I grew up in a small town in the kingdom of Serendipity. However, I am not actually Serenian." Adelaide paused here a moment, before continuing. "When my folks died, I left my hometown and came here to practice my magic as much as I wanted. The environment suits me." And she left it at that, saying no more.

Adelaide listened half-attentively to Slithix and Erathgar regaling each other with stories and various other nuggets of information, but her mind wasn't completely on their conversation, lost in thought she was again. Once again, she wondered what they would find in the witch's lair, should they be successful in their mission. Going over to her pack after finishing her meal, she got out her magical book and began to study it as she had time and again before. Tracing her finger over one of the runes for spells pertaining to large glacial spikes that rose from the ground at one's command, she began to concentrate on her inner reserve of magic, trying to envision herself actually casting the spell and making said spike appear. It was good practice, aside from actually performing said magic.

Conjuring a small snowball in hand, she let it twirl in the air suspended above her palm before making it break apart into a multitude of snowflakes. Adelaide smiled. She had been practicing that particular bit for a few months now and she could now say she was pretty good at it. Remembering a previous adventure in the tundra about another vile mage and her fellow ice mage companion, she recalled what had happened there. In the end, they had managed to defeat the lunatic. After that victory, she could breathe again without having to worry about whether that enemy was hiding somewhere, plotting more sick plans to ascend to his twisted view of godhood. It was good the creep was no more. They had made sure of that.

Later that night, while Adelaide and Slithix were sleeping, and Erathgar was keeping watch over their camp, she was rudely awoken by shouts of "Wake up!" Grumbling a little, she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and looked around for what all the commotion was about. No sooner than the Elkfire warrior had shouted ''the dead rise!'', a skeletal hand pushed its way out of the snow right near her foot!

Startled, she began to move her boot out of the way, but not before the bony white knuckles clamped onto it, beginning to drag her into the snow with it. After that, her reaction was pure instinct. Conjuring some ice, she encased the dead hand in it before shattering it into a million jagged pieces of dry bone.

Getting up, the ice mage looked around quickly to assess what was going on. The dead were rising all over the place and even the cold could not fully cover their awful stench, some still had rotted flesh oozing off their mostly skeletal bodies. The putrid smell was awful and only got worse as more and more zombies and skeletons began clawing their way out of the ice and snow-covered ground. Reaching deep into her font of magic, Adelaide began to summon a semi-large icy spike out of the ground, about four feet tall. It pierced the zombie it was under, felling it instantly. She turned to her next target then, and resumed her casting. It was safe to say that the peaceful night was over and that she wouldn't be getting any more sleep tonight.

Slithix

Erathgar had cooked a pretty juicy boar and had laughed at some of Slithix jokes, so the assassin only saw it as polite to answer the hulking beast's question How did you come to be here? "If I am to be honest I don't really know. It's a new story everyday. One day It's a cheerful upbringing in a palace only the god's know where, the next I'm a poor rundown beggar on the street. Family? None that I know of sadly but I do know the lich funny enough. Used to be a nice girl but you know what she's like nowadays. And with that he drifted off to what he though would be a nice long sleep.

That didn't happen

Wake up the dead rise "You'll be dead in a minute. Waking me up at this time....... oh wait" Realising the predicament they were in, Slithix observed the situation for a little while. Zombies or whatever those things may be were not his usual foe, just the average drunkard or a knight on a regular trip . But they were at large and looming. Adelaide was already getting in on the action taking out a zombie or too, and Erathgar was about to join in with his great axe "Guys, wait up for me!"

Slithix jumped up off the ground with a knife in each hand. One more like a sword in size with the other much sharper. It didn't bother him as he approached his first victim with ease. "I could just imagine how you must of looked alive" He smirked "Pity, you had potential" As he sliced its head, leaving it to run into a tumble. Next up a fairly Worn down zombie, with little more than shreds of skin hanging off its wretched corpse "You know what I'm going to call you" He once again laughed "Dead, what do you think a bit soon? Not judging by your corpse" He gave a quick look to his companions

"I hope you're keeping score, this could go on all night" Slithix shouted as he skipped merrily towards his next scuffle.

DarkAndar

Image removed. Please read our art usage policy. Thank you!

Erathgar saw that his allies were awake and aware of the situation. He saw they had their own difficulties to contend with presently and there was scant little he could do to help. Dead were elevating up out of the icy ground everywhere. A concentration of the foul-smelling abominations sprung up around his current position. He was divided from his company and even more distressing - his spear. Even the native barbarian who had spent the whole of his life in the bitter conditions of the north, felt a cold like nothing he had experienced before when a skeletal hand grasped his arm, the finger bones jagged and scratching his flesh. Another chilling entanglement found his ankle. More of the cursed dead filed in around him. Erathgar felt himself growing cold. He could hear the dead speech now, they were singing of the final journey. A peaceful lullaby that would bring all the suffering to a glorious end. It was so hypnotic, so relaxing....

Meanwhile, the dead rose against Slithix, who chopped them down at a respectable rate. Still, the sharp instruments of his profession while effective against the living, were slower to slay these bony foes. As often as not he separated limbs and still that did not slow their advance. Even a few headless corpses pressed forward, though blindly and bumping into their fellows in an uncoordinated fashion.

Adelaide's magic found root in a place like this. The frozen tundra responded easily to her calls and her chilling spells shattered the undead and pierced them through with formations of ice that left them entombed. However, though the land itself invigorated her magics, she would find her frigid incantations lacked the usual punch she was used to. This was because the denizens they faced had an affinity to the harsh element of ice. And though they still fell, she would find herself working twice as hard as usual.

Where the largest emaciated tree stood, at the heart of their campsite, a truly large mound of icy earth shook. If someone was to study the place closely they might come to realization that it had been some ancient barrow in a time long forgotten. At the base of the massive tree, in an upheaval that saw frost, earth, and stone gout out, appeared a wight. What feeble firelight remained, quickly was snuffed out, leaving the party in gray cold darkness with the hungry song of the dead to caress their ears. Only the silver radiance offered by the moonlight could they appreciate this new foe. The empty eye sockets of the wight provided a different sort of light, a cold winter blue, that reflected a dread fear to anyone who was faint of heart. The wight wore a crown of gold upon its brow and unlike the other undead, remnants of gilded mail clung to its skeletal form along with the tattered wisps of fabric that may have once been a rust brown tabard or cloak. The wight did not approach, but merely waited in silence, seemingly satisfied with the current state of things. Though its gaze lingered longest on Adelaide.

Erathgar felt himself going drowsy as he listened to the enchanting song and the weight of the cold beings began to press in on him. Bony claws tore at his furs and the one that had caught his bulging arm had already opened up a wound causing rivulets of blood to spill and patter the alabaster earth. But the sight of blood stirred something in him. The dead song quieted and the internal rage of thunder and blood began to pound in his ears. With a primal roar that could wake the dead (literally), Erathgar broke through the bony embraces, hurling skeletons and zombies away like leaves in the wake of a storm. Having no time to get to the spear that sat amid their packs, the beserker grinned maniacally at the dead swarming in to fill the gap of his liberation. He twisted about and charged into the wave of dead! One he took hold of by the skull and twisted, thickly corded arms flexing before a loud crack issued. Erathgar launched the head into another group and jumped to where a heavy tree bough lay. One meaty backhand that sent a zombie staggering into his brethren and he had it. The barbarian laughed, a crazed look about him as he hefted the large branch and swung it in a powerful swath that shattered bone. He roared a challenge. The blood of war pumping feverishly in his brain. He felt no pain, he knew no fear. Only death....

Ethereal-Star

The ice mage paid no attention to her companions, so concentrated she was on casting her magic to be rid of the foes that surrounded her. As one large skeleton started shambling toward her on rickety white legs of bone, Adelaide conjured up a large ball of snow and hurled it straight at the undead creature, temporarily blinding it and halting its steady approach her way. She wasted no time and promptly froze its skeletal feet in blocks of ice before she sensed movement behind her.

Another skeleton ambled towards her, stretching out bony arms, fingers outstretched to claw out her eyes. Adelaide ducked just in time and sent a couple ice bolts flinging towards its bone-white face which seemed to only mildly injure the thing. It shook its head as though disoriented before it came at her again, swiping an arm at her. It clawed at her robe and tore it a little at the side, which only made Adelaide angry. Summoning another ice pike from out of the ground, it pierced the walking corpse, breaking it in two, half of its body falling to the ground as it struggled for purchase. But it wasn't dead yet. Adelaide encased its head in ice, using as much magical energy as she could muster and then blasted the head to pieces, finally killing it.

The skeleton from before broke free of its icy prison then, but Adelaide saw it in time and dealt with it, before moving onto a group of slowly advancing zombies coming from her left. Focusing on her reservoir of wintry cold magic, the white-haired woman made the ground erupt in a bunch of really tiny, but really sharp icicles, making the area difficult terrain for all caught within the effect. Most fell down in a heap, flailing arms wildly as they scrambled to find their footing, some of them crushing parts of the others' bony limbs in the process as they fell on top of each other. Only two managed to quickly right themselves and continued onward, while the other eight were still piddling around on the ground in a pathetic mess of rotting arms and legs.

So concentrated Adelaide was on the zombies before her, she failed to calculate a new threat in their midst. Feeling a massive blow knock her to the ground face-forward, the ice mage lay there momentarily seeing stars as her mind struggled to come to terms with what had just happened. Then the pain registered. Rolling over on her side, her hand briefly touched her back before bringing her hand within view of her face. It was covered in blood. Shortly after that realization, she began to feel weak as though her physical strength were slowly ebbing away and from more than just the blood loss. Adelaide managed to stand up again on shaky legs to assess just what exactly had dared to hit her.

A huge towering figure covered in black rotted plate mail carrying a gigantic greatsword which glowed in an eerie red light stood there. Its ice blue eyes stared at her, cerulean gaze making Adelaide freeze briefly in terror with the strength of that gaze. It stood there triumphantly as though it thought its victory already imminent, therefore snapping the ice mage out of her daze. She moved just in the nick of time as the greatsword slashed the ground next to her, leaving a huge gouge in the frosty earth. While her magic may be enhanced in this cold place of never-ending white, she didn't think it would be enough by itself to defeat the enemy who was now trying to hack her to pieces with the mighty weapon it wielded in its black, spiky gauntlet-covered hands. Her strength was slowly returning as she kept on trying to dodge the sword strikes, while also gathering more energy to cast her magic. Finally she managed to throw a conjured ice spear measuring a foot in length at the creature, which only slowed it down for a couple seconds.

Adelaide thought it was time to put some distance between it and herself, and promptly began running away from it to battle weaker enemies instead. Her back was still bleeding, leaving a trail of blood in her wake, and Adelaide began to feel rather light-headed as a result. Meanwhile, the Revenant looked at her retreating form and let out a bellowing laugh of rumbling thunder, seeming to penetrate into all three of the companions' very bones with the sinister sound the laugh had evoked. Ignoring Adelaide for the time being, it decided to go after Slithix instead. The Revenant swung its red-glowing sword at the assassin's neck, meaning to decapitate him if Slithix didn't dodge in time.

Adelaide struggled to get her bearings back before remembering something. Grabbing the ice necklace from around her neck, she touched one of the frost diamonds on the silver sparkling chain, chanting the command word for 'blizzard' and then tossed the now loose crystal at the Revenant figure. A mighty blizzard immediately took effect, most of it concentrated on the enemy in question, harshly ripping holes into its already hole-riddled armor, before tearing a large chunk of it away in the whipping winds. The piece of black armor hit the group of zombies head-on and abruptly crushed them in its onslaught. Of course, that meant the Revenant was now much less protected than before as its decayed chest now showed part of an undead heart, making it quite vulnerable to any melee attacks sent its way. Surely if one of the group were to attack it there, it would fall dead.

The icy winds continued to violently whip around, felling more and more of the undead creatures, while even more continued to claw their way out of the ground below. There were so many, it would be near impossible to count just how many, especially in the frenzy of battle taking place. All the while, the wight whose head was crowned in gold simply watched the proceedings with calm glowing eyes of cyan as the madness continued on into the night...