Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Happenstance and Misfortune [Vyra!] [M]

Started by DaGlobster, December 16, 2014, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Herrick had spent weeks preparing this gig. His current mark was Lord Krioss, a prominent Connlaothian nobleman who's been holed up in his estate ever since the Connlaothian Civil War reared its ugly head. He hadn't been involved (except for a few rumored weapons deals with the anti-mage fighters), and for the most part, he had dropped off of everyone's radar.

Everyone but Herrick's. Herrick knew a vulnerable lord when he saw one, all walled up and feeling invincible, so it was almost too good of an opportunity to pass up. Getting into Reajh was nightmare enough, he practically had to scale the walls to enter, but now that he was here, perched on a rooftop overlooking Krioss' expansive estate, security didn't seem so tight.

Guards were out patrolling the gardens, sure, but it seemed most of them were in the multistoried mansion that lied in the center of it all. Herrick pulled his spyglass off of his belt, scanning the grounds one last time before he entered, dropping down into the gardens and making his way across them unseen.

He scaled the side of the mansion, deciding the he would come in through a balcony on the third floor. Silently, he began to pick the lock.

Vyraena

Lord Krioss had lost the interest of most others when he isolated himself during the war, but in the underground of Connlaoth, a few people still had an interest in him. Many of them were furious that he wasn't involved in the war, and a few of the more openly anti-mage activists were spreading rumors that he was collaborating with the mages. Kira's employer was very concise in her mission, the message confirming it containing only three words. "Assassinate the enemy."

Infiltrating the estate had been easy enough for her, sneaking through the shadows and then seeming to appear out of nowhere inside the house on the third floor. The two guards who had been unfortunate enough to be in the room when she appeared were now piled in the corner. She hadn't killed them, she had simply knocked them unconscious. She didn't kill unless she had to. Even in assassination missions, she would try her best to only kill her targets and no one else.

It wasn't that she really cared which side Lord Krioss was on, or how the war turned out in general. The cash payout for this mission was too high to give up. She may have left her past behind to travel the world, but she was still an assassin at heart, and an assassin never passed up an assassination mission they could handle.

She was standing in the third floor room when the door to the balcony began to open. Before she had a chance to slip back into the shadows, it had opened behind her.

DaGlobster

From behind Kira, the sound of a rapier rasping out of its scabbard sounded out throughout the silent room, followed by the sound of a smaller blade being drawn. Herrick had his rapier and Cheesecutter drawn, and had them both pointed at Kira. He didn't know who this strange, scantily armored woman was, or what she was doing in the upper floors of Lord Krioss' mansion, but it didn't matter to him.

Given the dark conditions, he didn't see the unconscious guards piled in the corner. It didn't help that Lord Krioss' guards wore black armor. Herrick thought that Kira might have been a bodyguard of sorts to Lord Krioss.

"Easy there, lady. I know you got a job to do, but right now, that job's between me and a fat payout. What say you just walk away from this before it gets ugly?" He said with great confidence.

Vyraena

"Heh."

That was the only response Kira offered as she placed her hand on her right hip. "You honestly think I'm intimidated by a sword and a dagger?" She added with a smirk.

She reached up and drew her twin blades. The enchanted metal would surely look odd to someone who had never seen it before. They seemed to almost glow.

"I'm afraid I can't just walk away. Also, I can't say I'm too fond of people pulling weapons on me."

DaGlobster

"It's not the weapon, it's what you do with it, sweetheart. And if you didn't want weapons drawn on you, you wouldn't have stuck with your line of work," Herrick retorted, stepping forwards a bit. He stood unafraid of her enchanted weapons. He had seen many in his line of works, and many more who looked more fearsome.

Vyraena

Kira surveyed the scene in front of her. It appeared that the weapons this man was holding were his only way to fight. She sheathed one of her blades and placed her left hand on her hip. "Well, now, it would be unfair if I were to use two blades against one, would it not?" She said, clearly indicating that she didn't see the dagger as any form of threat.

"This is your last chance to back out."

DaGlobster

Herrick laughed. "Sorry, I'm not going anywhere."

Herrick was happy to find out that this woman didn't see Cheesecutter as a threat at all. Good. The best enchanted weapons are the ones with no flair at all. After all, the most lethal mistake someone can make is mistaking the extraordinary for the mundane.

Vyraena

Kira slid two of her shurikens from her belt into her hand. The world around Herrick would seem like it was swaying, due to Kira's magic. She was creating an illusion that was in between reality and fantasy, so that he would see fragments of both.

As she worked her magic, she made the first move and tossed the shurikens at Herrick. They would be almost impossible to dodge completely, likely leaving at least some small scratches as they grazed parts of his skin.

DaGlobster

(I feel the need to point out that Cheesecutter is a short sword, not a dagger)

Herrick didn't let the warped perception trick get the better of him, although it was kind of impossible for the swirling, nauseating realities to not affect him completely. If anything, the sheer amount of stuff happening was slightly distracting. When the shurikens came, Herrick bent backwards and to the side, the shurikens grazing the front of his chest, although they mostly glanced harmlessly off of his armor.

Herrick allowed the dodge to carry him into a quick, spinning jab with the rapier, aimed directly at Kira's shoulder.

Vyraena

(Honestly, I had thought that I read dagger, but just went back and noticed that you had only ever said small blade. I must have just got the idea stuck in my head xD)

Rather than dodging the attack, Kira shifted into the shadow realm and reappeared behind Herrick. She allowed the illusions to get more intense, flashing images of guards who weren't actually in the room. She pushed backwards off the ground and into the air, sending another shuriken at Herrick from behind. Like always, she would attempt to do defeat him without causing him any real harm, but it was looking like she would have to take him more seriously than the guards she had already incapacitated.

DaGlobster

Herrick shrugged off the illusions. When they were as heavy handed as this, it was easy to not believe a single second of them. He looked confused for a few moments when Kira disappeared, but the sounds of shurikens hitting and getting embedded in his cloak (an armored cloak disguised as a mundane one).

Spinning around, he made a slash at her midsection with the tip of his rapier, followed by an attempt to smart her in the leg with the flat of the blade.

Vyraena

Kira managed to parry the blade, however Herrick did manage to hit her on the leg. It wasn't enough to cause significant damage, but the fact that he was able to make contact with her at all spoke for his swordsmanship. However, Herrick completely ignored the illusions, and Kira smirked at that.

Although they wouldn't cause any actual harm to Herrick, if one of the illusions were to swing at him and pass through him, it would feel as if he were cut by a real weapon, even though no physical damage was actually done. That was the true danger of Kira's illusion magic... it kept an element of reality in it.

As she parried the attack, she returned an attack at his arm. At the same time, one of the illusionary guards would swing at his other arm.

DaGlobster

Raising an arm to parry her sword, Herrick was intent on ignoring the guard swinging for him, before his blade actually made contact with Herrick. There was no sensation of being cut, just a powerful stinging. Recoiling from the attack, he held his arm close to his side, instinctually nursing it before he realized what had actually happened.

Taking a few steps back, he pulled a shard of crystal off of his bandolier, and threw it down onto the ground, dispelling the illusions.

"No more games..." He muttered, readying himself once more.

Vyraena

"What a shame. I was just starting to have fun!" Kira said with a smirk. She unsheathed her other blade. "If we're not playing around anymore, I suppose I'll go all out."

DaGlobster

"You do that, sweetheart. It's been a while since I danced with someone." Herrick said, grinning as he switched Cheesecutter over to a reverse grip. "Just make sure you don't step on my feet."

Vyraena

Kira was irritated at this point. All this was supposed to be was a simple assassination mission. She didn't know who this man was, or why he was here, but if he stood in the way of her and her target, she would do whatever it took to get past him. She lunged first, faking a thrust at his chest with Midnight, then redirecting it into a slash at his left arm. She kept Twilight ready to parry any attacks he would throw at her.

(Just for clarification, Kira always wields Midnight in her right hand and Twilight in her left hand.)

DaGlobster

Herrick parried her attack with Cheesecutter, and entered the classic fencing thrust stance, rapidly shooting forth and pulling back as he'd barrage her with a series of shallow thrusts mostly aimed at her limbs.

Vyraena

Kira parried or dodged most of his attacks, but a few grazed her skin, leaving open cuts. Her armor was more focused on mobility and being lightweight than being protective, after all. She kicked to push off backwards, and unless Herrick managed to catch her leg in this swift motion, would find herself in the air, preparing to launch more shurikens in his direction.

DaGlobster

Herrick could not catch her leg, seeing as how he had no free hands, so instead he opted to stay behind, and take his time, preparing to dodge whatever would come his way.

Vyraena

Kira launched three shurikens in Herrick's direction, before fading back into the shadows. She would wait to see how he handled the shurikens before making another move.