Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Temple of the Ancients [open]

Started by Ethereal-Star, February 20, 2015, 04:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

"Now, now, no need to be hasty." Violet offered in her usual cheerful, happy manner.

Examining the rock debris which contained the vase, she thought for a moment before exclaiming, "I suppose I could simply teleport the object a few feet from here. Although to be fairly honest, I haven't actually tried to teleport objects before. People yes, objects no. But we can certainly try! The worst that could happen is it doesn't work, so no fear on damaging this gem of a find!" Winking at him, she proceeded to summon a rainbow from her hand.

Pretty soon, a brightly colored rainbow emerged from her outstretched palm, arcing up and over straight down onto the artifact itself. The other end was several feet away from where they were standing. Violet went over to the object, lightly touched it with a hand and it dissolved abruptly, being pulled into the rainbow that engulfed it before quickly appearing at the other end, three or four yards away.

Going over there with a bounce in her step, the rainbow spirit picked it up gingerly and said, "Viola!" Meanwhile, the colorful light rays vanished as there was no need for it now at this time. And the stone structure stayed put as well, no collapse or rumbling at all. "A glorious piece of art, yes?"

IcarusDescension

Lauras stared open-mouthed as his wide eyes greedily coveted the precious vase. Every few moments he would glance back to the empty space where the object had been as if needing to convince himself it had really happened.

"You... Actually did." Once more he found himself mentally upgrading his regard for the spirit's abilities.

As he moved closer to inspect it, he found it was a fight to keep his hands from literally grabbing the object from her fingers, and in spite of his efforts they twitched of their own accord. Who knew how long the intricate bit of ancient art had remained trapped beneath the stones, kept from the hands of thieves. It looked faded from exposure and had some cracks and chips, but was otherwise intact. Were those small pictographs or ideograms along the top and bottom? He squinted at the faded markings.

Ethereal-Star

Violet followed his gaze to the engravings and studied them herself. "Yes, now I can see them better. They appear to be written in the same script as the marble tablet. Fascinating as always. A pity we cannot decipher it. However all things come in their own time. We shall discover its meaning if we continue to press on and keep face, yes?"

Running a hand over the inscriptions, she felt the smooth grooves of the swirled artwork and the pictographs which accompanied them. "A fine specimen of beauty, it is." She noticed his trembling hands and raised an eyebrow at this. "Do you wish to hold it and examine it for yourself?" she asked this in an almost teasing fashion, as it was quite obvious that he did.

Again, the rainbow spirit had to trust that this man, Laurus, with the vine-like markings on his skin and stark white hair would do the right thing and help preserve its legacy for ages more to come. While some part of her wished she could take it home with her herself, she knew this was not possible. Besides it belonged in the world of mortals, not the realm of spirits. A mortal-made vase deserved to be kept among the lands of its origins. Violet was only here to help ensure this would happen and that these artifacts would be appreciated for the beauty and history they contained, a patchwork of events from long ago that all fit together to tell a story. Even though some pieces of the puzzle were missing, these few relics needed a place to be honored for the treasures they clearly were. And this man before her could be the key factor into making this a reality. Oh so she hoped this.

IcarusDescension

Laurus stared at the spirit, not sure to be irritated at her still persistent optimism and gentle teasing or awed by the carefree way she was offering her kindness to a complete stranger - finally deciding he wanted to be both at the same time.

However as he took her up on her offer and inspected the prized vase he found awe was winning out in spite of himself. What a different place the world must be to this spirit, he pondered, for her to give so freely in a world where everyone was out for none but themselves. Part of him was still waiting for her to say that she would be taking these objects back with her to preserve them for all of time or some such - yet she gave no indication of any such desire.

Yet even as his heart soared to hold the object which was surely made countless years before he was born a frustration was burning behind his eyes as he struggled to make sense of tiny drawings. Just as with the tablet, their meaning eluded him no matter now long he stared at them. If only he had his notes...

With a loud sigh, he forced himself to be calm - there had to be another way. "You were right, I should have gone after my notes I suppose. But those men are long gone and I have no idea where they might be, and even if we could find them there are three of them and but one of me... But if I pieced that information together once, it could be done again... Everything I brought with me was copied from my books after all..."

He looked up at the spirit, knowing he was being foolish. Knowing he should take these two objects, beg the spirit to drop him off in Essyrn where he could arrange passage home. Together the two trinkets would be more than enough to convince his father to fund a properly outfitted expedition to see what else these ruins possessed. So why wasn't he?

The answer wasn't clear to him, he knew only that there was something about this strange spirit. For the first time in his life, he had found in her careless generosity a resource for which he didn't need to barter or cajole. And he had not yet even discovered the limits of her abilities. Besides which, unlike his family and business contacts, she seemed more curious about the nature of the ruins and these artifacts than their monetary value, and he had a heavy suspicion that once he returned home with them he might not get the chance to study them properly again. Besides, it wasn't as if he was being selfish. He could sell them later and enhance his family's portfolio. Just... not yet.

"Just how many places," he found himself asking with some suprise, "can those rainbows of yours take us?"

Ethereal-Star

Violet smiled as Laurus inspected the vase, awe clearly on his features. He was just as impressed with the relic as she was. She in turn, admired it some more before straightening up, smoothing out her red dress. "I suppose you are wondering why I do not take such beauty back with me to my home. The answer is simple really. These are mortal artifacts, and in the mortal world they belong. I would love to take them back with me myself but I would not be doing the objects any favors. Sure they would be treasured, but the population of mortals far exceeds that of my kin. It is far better for the vase and tablet to remain here among these lands, than for me to take them with me." She smiled at him, ever optimistic and carefree. "In case you were wondering this."

The rainbow spirit went over to where the tablet still was and picked it up. "If you would like to retrieve your books, I have no objections. In fact, I would encourage it. And just think positively: your notes will be returned to you someday. You just need to have hope that the men that took them will find them better off in your hands." Of course, Violet wasn't entirely certain that they would, but it was always better to keep one's chin up, regardless. Fate tended to follow the path of least resistance, and keeping one's hope was a surefire way to ensure things would work out. Violet may be young but she did know that.

"As for my rainbows, they can go anywhere I want. They have a maximum reach of several miles, about ten to twenty or so, maybe a little more, however, where one ends, another can surely begin." She smiled brightly at this. "Quick transportation at one's fingertips, yes?" She laughed at her own joke, her laughter being reminiscent of a song of joy, hope and comfort.

IcarusDescension

Laurus' eyes became highly focused, his finely carved face a sculpture of determination as he looked up from the vase. "Then I know where we need to go... I've never been able to justify the expense, but I've always wanted to take a trip to Arca. If there's anyone who values culture and history it's the elves, and from what I've heard their Great Library is without equal.

"Of course we'll need to make a stop in Essryn," he went on just as if Violet had given her sanction for the journey. "One of my father's associates maintains an office there and I'll need some funds for our little adventure..."

For perhaps the first time since he had run upon the colorful spirit he found himself giving her an honest smile of his own. When he had left on this expedition from his home it had been just another business venture - albeit with a bit of personal interest involved given his love for the past. Now he found there was a fire kindling beneath his breast that was altogether something new, and it shone in his eyes.

"You've already got the tablet, which we'll need, so I believe we're ready..."

Ethereal-Star

"Certainly. The Great Library is indeed a marvelous place of lore and learning. I've been there myself a few times." Violet clapped her hands once and gave another bright dazzling smile. "So, off we go then!"

A colorful arc materialized from a rosy pink outstretched hand, leading up to the outskirts of the Essyrni border. The rainbow spirit stepped toward their end of the colored light rays and held out her hand for him to take. "It will be a quick trip so hold on tight!"

IcarusDescension

The smile vanished from the decorated man's face like smoke in a passing breeze as he stared at the rainbow, his apprehension returning now that it was time to actually use of the things. Somehow when he had concocted the fanciful plan in his mind certain uncomfortable realities had slipped through the cracks of his thinking process.

Still the spirit had assured him the portal was safe, and it seemed highly illogical to him that she should start deceiving him now. With a squaring of his shoulders and a dramatic intake of breath he nodded to her like a man stepping bravely off the end of the earth... "Very well Madam Violet, I'm ready."

Grasping her hand, he took a tentative step towards the rainbow, wondering what it would look like to walk on an illusion of light, and where precisely he would find himself on the other side. He felt a building thrill at the mounting unknowns.

Ethereal-Star

As they stepped into the rainbow light, for the briefest of seconds they were both encased in the colors of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple so they looked like only mere outlines in the midst of a colorful haze. As the arc began to suck them inwards towards the other side, colors whizzed by in a blurring fashion, quickly and somewhat dizzily. But it was over in just a couple of seconds and the two of them now stood on the edge of the desert, on the road leading to the gates of Essyrn.

"Here we are!" Violet announced, as chipper as ever.

With a flick of the wrist their travel route disappeared, leaving them to face the city gates, their metal bars gleaming in the bright sun as two guards stood sentry at each post, halberds raised in a militant way as they stood ever alert and ready for duty.

"I must say I am quite excited to be here again, what say you my friend?" The rainbow spirit still held the tablet in the one hand as she looked to her companion for confirmation of his own answer.

IcarusDescension

Laurus gulped, holding his stomach for a moment and almost stumbling as if the ground had moved out from under him -although if he'd been forced to admit it the trip had actually been pleasant enough if a little disorienting.

"Well, you have a decidedly... unique form of travel Madam, however it does seem to be safe enough I suppose." He frowned as he looked up towards the city walls. "As far as our present location you'll have to be jovial for the both of us I'm afraid, but it is a necessary stop. I'll be needing to acquire a few things here before we continue."

They approached the two soldiers at the gates. He thought he recognized one of them, but couldn't be sure. Either way he stayed silent and waited to see if either of them offered a reaction to their presence. Had they seen the rainbow, or the two step out of it? He had no way of knowing.